Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 826 Words
  • 1,474 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Harlequin - 19. Chapter 19

Patrick is having lunch with his mother and is interrupted.

A relaxing lunch with his mother with a view of their splendid garden was just what Patrick needed to take his mind off the police, Gavin and the Harlequin.

Adam Potter was a different matter, as his mother Drusilla Valdez, discovered.

“He held him out of a window? How did he get back in?” Drusilla asked. A female servant listened as she removed their finished plates. Patrick didn’t want to upset her, so he revised the story, leaving out the part about him jumping on the killer’s back.

“I’m not sure… I was in the other room, but Adam did stop that madman.” His mother picked up her bone china coffee cup, and sipping the sweetened brew.

“This Mr. Potter has left an impression on you—so soon—after Gavin.”

Patrick felt the pinch of guilt from not telling his parents about how Gavin was blackmailing him.

“It’s not that I’d wish anything bad to happen to Gavin. It’s just we weren’t doing so well as a couple for some time.”

“That’s not the impression you gave to me and your father? In fact, Gavin had mentioned marriage.”

“Marriage?” Patrick said, shocked.

“Well of course, he was discussing it with your father.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“We were preparing a dowry for you.”

“Mother, that’s so old fashion.”

“It’s our tradition, Patrick. Something we hoped you'd continue.”

“Well, it’s not going to happen now.” He grabbed his cup hastily, tipping the hot drink onto the antique table cloth. “Oh god!” he yelled, standing and using his napkin to dab the mess up. His mother’s female butler, Shilo, came over and she and the maid quickly cleared the mess. “I’m sorry…I’m clumsy,” he apologized to the servant and his mother.

“Its fine, Mr. Valdez. We'll wash it out,” said Shilo. “Cindy can pour you another cup.”

“Right away, sir,” said Cindy, hurrying to get the silver pitcher.

“But I made a terrible mess,” said Patrick. Drusilla noticed her son’s anxiety when he was talking about Gavin.

“Patrick, why don’t we take our coffee in the library?” suggested his mother. Patrick stopped interfering with the staff containing the spill, and walked over to his mother.

“I’ll have the tray prepared, madam,” said Shilo.

“Thank you, Shilo.”

Drusilla took Patrick’s arm and they left the dining room. They walked through the mansion like tourists at a museum. Except to them, it was home filled with art, mementos, and life. Patrick's parents raised him in the Grand Manor, built with his father’s wealth. They allowed their son freedom to explore every room, and the splendor of his surroundings, with his nanny not far behind him. He had wonderful times with his parents and the staff that became his extended family. To think that Gavin was trying to worm his way into his home. Patrick shivered at the thought of walking down an aisle and marrying him. They passed the game room as his mother saw her son lost in thought.

“Tell me what’s bothering you, Patrick?” asked Drusilla, who at thirty-nine been mistaken for Patrick’s sister on a few occasions. She dressed casually for their lunch, with her almond hair down over her shoulders.

Drusilla’s health hadn’t been the same since giving birth to her son. Medicine and constant visits from the family doctor had to be kept secret. She made Patrick’s father promise never to divulge her condition to Patrick, in fear he may never venture out of her sight, worried about her illness. She managed to stay in shape and live an active life; not like the one she had after meeting Raoul, but an active one.

“No, it’s just been a long night and I guess I haven’t been able to get it off my mind.”

“It or him?” Patrick didn’t want to keep secrets from her. She had helped convince his father to allow him to travel overseas when he went to college and after. They entered the library and choose to sit on the couch close to the bay window with the view of the fountain his father had flown in from Spain.

“Mother, I need you to promise me not to talk to Father about Adam?”

“Why?”

“Father’s not too keen on him.”

“Patrick, you do understand you shouldn’t be getting involved with Adam, so soon after Gavin’s death?”

“I’ll be careful mother, but please don’t mention it to him. He’s thinking of sending me to Spain, and I don’t want to go right now.”

“We only want to protect you.”

“I know, and being here with you is what’s best for me right now.”

“Well, I would miss you if you’re gone. Alright, for now I won’t say a word, but you have to keep your distance from Adan Potter.”

“I’ll try.” The coffee had a rich, mild flavor, and the cake was from a bakery Patrick loved. The delicious sweet treat relaxed Patrick. That is, until the doorbell rang.

Is running from the police the right thing for Patrick? Well Adam help him?
D.D. Watson 2014
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..