Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 3,626 Words
  • 1,328 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Homecoming - 7. Chapter 7

Adam's home and everyone is thrilled to see him and meet Patrick.
Well almost everyone...

Anton drove towards the ghost town that Troy used for his LARPs. The property tax, renovations, and upkeep of the town were mostly paid for by returning visitors and the help of donations. He finished construction on excavating a well and affixed windmill to power the entire town.

There was a cavern close by that they turned into a dungeon of torture. The cave was inhabited by Bats, Troy made sure they were left alone by blocking off their den entrance except for their exit point through the top of the cave.

The fans tend to get overzealous and wanted to explore on their own. But they would also be drunk, so Troy needed to be sure they didn’t hurt themselves or damaged any props. A key code pad, which was fashioned to fit the stone wall, only responded to his or Anton’s finger prints.

Anton dreaded letting Perkins touch him again. He opened the door to the cave and heard an approaching vehicle. He turned and was disappointed to see Perkins truck coming up the path. Anton braced himself for what was to come next.

***************

He was only trying to be neighborly. A gesture of good well when Anton went to Eric Perkins’s house with an apology from his son Adam. Who was thirteen at the time broke Mr. Perkins’s window with a boomerang his older brother Damien gave him for his birthday.

Eric Perkins, wife, Rose, had died from brain cancer three months earlier before Christmas. They had no children of their own because Rose was unable to carry to full term. Perkins hated children and Troy and Anton did their best to keep the boys away from his property. They told all of them to show respect to the man, but steer clear of him.

The holiday was upon them and Anton always baked cookies for the Perkins, when Rose was alive. Rose Perkins always gave Anton preserves for his family. Anton thought since it was Eric Perkins first Christmas without Rose the cookies might soften his heart and forgive his youngest son’s mistake. Being alone can’t be going well and from what Anton heard, Perkins rarely went into town and had his supplies delivered to him.

The Perkins’s homed horses for the last twenty-five years. The ranch style home was built by Eric Perkins for Rose as a wedding gift. The building that stood on the property before it was a small cabin for one. Eric Perkins brought Rose from the city after their wedding and presented her with the house.

Anton knocked on the door as he held the plate of cookies in front of him covered in clear wrap. He took in a deep breath through his nose and let it out through his mouth. The door opened and Eric Perkins, who was 6’3 to Anton 5’6 stood holding a rifle on his shoulder observing Anton with appraising eyes.

“Hello, Mr. Perkins. I’ve come to talk to you about my son Adam, accidentally breaking your window.”

“The boomerang?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

“And the cookies. Are they to butter me up?”

Anton laughed at his comment and pointed at the plate in his hand. But he stopped when Perkins didn’t join in. Anton usually like most people and people seem to warm up to him, but Perkin’s was one of those people who thought themselves above all. Anton cleared his throat.

“Well, these are a peace offering.” Perkins thought it over then stepped aside for Anton to enter.

Why didn’t he let Troy come and talk to Perkin’s when he wanted to as Anton stepped past the man into his kitchen. Overall, the place was clean and in order. Much to Anton’s surprise of a newly widow straight male. He walked over to the kitchen table and sat the plate down and removed the plastic cover displaying the assortment of decorative gingerbread men, sugar, chocolate chip, and snickerdoodle cookies. Perkins walked around to the opposite side of the table and placed his rifle, with barrel open and shells removed, down on the wide long counter top. He turned to Anton and looked at the cookies.

“I wasn’t sure what you liked so I made an assortment.” No reply. Anton became a bit tense from the cold silence. “How about I make us some tea?”

“I have no tea. I like coffee. There’s instant in the cupboard above the stove. I’ll go get the boomerang.” He left the kitchen leaving the gun. Anton saw a change in his manner as he walked over to the stove and got the coffee and saw an electric kettle which he filled with water, plugged it in and turned it on.

He found the mugs in the cabinet over the sink. Picking two red ones he scooped a spoon full of coffee into each one, returning the jar to its place above the stove. He took the cups to the table, where a sugar bowl sat. He decided to wait on the sugar not sure if Perkins liked his sweet. He opened the fridge and found a small container of creamer and brought it to the table. The kettle’s light went off with a click and Anton grabbed it and poured the hot water into the cups.

Perkins returned with the boomerang in hand. Finding Anton at the table with his coffee made up. He placed the weapon on the table in front of Anton. Then took the seat across from him.

“You shouldn’t allow the boy to play with a weapon before he knows how to use it. It could have killed him.”

“Yes, me and Troy had a stern talking to all of them about it and we’re not giving it back to Adam until he’s taught properly how to use it.”

“Well then I see no reason to fuss if you talked to him.”

“We’ll pay for the window of course.”

“Do you want to see it?”

“Of course.”

“It’s through the living room in the parlor you can’t miss it. I boarded it up.”

“Are you coming?”

“I need to put my gun away. Rose hated seeing it out in the open when I’m not using it.” Anton felt a tug at his heart from Perkins words about his now dead wife. He rose from the table and went to access the damage that was going to be deducted from Adam’s allowance and Damien was going to repair. Eric Perkins rose and grabbed his gun and walked into a side room where he stored it and placed it in the gun rack, locking it. He reached into a small box and removed a small glass bottle that he tucked in the palm of his hand.

He returned to the kitchen and glanced in the living room and saw Anton in the parlor pacing back and forward talking on his cell. He suspected it to be Troy Potter as he walked over to the kitchen table. He opened the bottle and poured the clear substance into Anton’s mug. He stirred it a few times and sat down. A moment later Anton returned and sat down and saw Perkins eating a gingerbread man.

“So, I just talked to Troy and he’ll be happy to fix your window if you allow him.”

“That’s fine, By the way, these are delicious,” he said, popping the last piece into his mouth.

“Well, thank you, it’s my mother’s recipe,” Anton took a sip of his coffee and reached for a chocolate chip decorated with red and green confetti sprinkles like snow. My son Kyle help with the decorations.”

“Well, they’re very tasty,” he smiled, taking a snickerdoodle as he watched Anton.

Anton continued to drink and eat his cookie, but only ate one wanting to save the rest for Mr. Perkins.

“How long have you and Troy been married?” Perkins asked.

“Fifteen years.”

“Well, that’s an accomplishment.”

“It still feels brand new.”

“I understand.” Anton had forgotten for that moment that Perkins was a widow. “Oh, I didn’t mean to bring that up— “

“Well, actually, I brought it up. And I’m happy for you.”

“Thank you.” He drank down his coffee to the last drop. “Well, I can clean up.”

“No, I don’t mind. I always did the dishes with Rose. Doing them now makes me feel she is with me.”

“Well then, I should be getting back.”

“Of course.”

Anton rose to leave when a wave of dizziness hit him hard, sending him back into his chair. Perkins rose, seeming to be concerned about him, when he only walked past Anton to the door and locked it. Then walked over to the dazed Anton, who was feeling unable to talk as Perkins reached into his pocket and took his cell phone. He opened it in front of his guest and texted Troy telling him he will be late due to helping Mr. Perkins with his roast he was trying to make. He waited as Anton tried to reach out for his cell barely able to keep his head up.

“Just sit tight,” he said. A response came back from Troy asking, ‘do you want me to come and pick you up when you’re done?’ Perkins texted back, ‘no, going to walk home.’ Perkins looked at Anton and smiled. The text came back, ‘ok, see you soon. Love you.’ “Troy said he loves you,” he said, placing the cell on the table.

He grabbed a chair and pulled it in front of the weak Anton and sat down. “He loves you,” he repeated. “Just like I loved my wife. You know Anton you look like a female with your hair—eyes, and lips. He grabbed Anton and pulled him in for a hard kiss on the mouth. Anton was unable to stop him as he hung helpless in Perkins’s hands.

“Even your kiss taste like a woman’s. Did you know that? Did Troy ever tell you that?” Anton couldn’t answer. “I hear that gay men love to have multiple partners? Is that true?” Anton fought to use his mouth to say no. “Doesn’t matter. We can just pretend that you’re my wife and I’m your husband.” Perkins, stood, pulling Anton up with him then dropping him over his shoulder. He carried the limp man out of the kitchen and into his bedroom shutting the door.

**************

Anton awakened feeling cold, and heavy. He opened his eyes and saw the star cover sky above the tree line. Taking a deep breath and letting it slip between his lips, he saw the white cloud form from his breath. He turned his head from side to side and saw the forest trees. He realized he was laying on the ground.

He tried to sit up, but his muscles weren’t working properly. Using his foot, he pushed himself to his side and used his arms to sit up. A scan of his surroundings, he noticed he was a few feet from his home. But how did he get here? Wanting to stand, he struggled, almost losing his balance a few times, but managed to get to his feet. His mind was blank as he tried to remember why he was outside. He looked down and saw that his clothes were disheveled, his coat fastened wrong, his scarf hanging loose and not around his neck. Even his boots were undone.

“I want to go home,” Anton said to no one. The bitter cold surrounded him as he straightened his clothes and refastened his boots. A ring tone came from his coat pocket. Anton reached in and retrieved it answering it on the third ring.

“Hello,” he said.

“How are you feeling Anton?”

“Who is this?”

“Have you forgotten already. You were just in my arms.”

Anton looked around and saw no one.

“I said who is this,” he snapped.

“You forgot the boomerang.”

“Perkins?”

“Now Anton, after our time together, you can call me Eric.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You’ll see.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Just than Anton heard a backfire from a motorbike headed towards his home.

“You hear that, Anton? That’s Ricky’s bike. He’s delivering a package for me. Addressed to Troy.”

“Addressed to Troy?”

“Of us.”

“What did you do to me?”

“You should get home and find out before Troy does.” The line went dead. Dread rose in Anton as he struggled to get home. He reached his backdoor panting and was relieved it was opened. The smell of cookies floated in the air as he shut the door, locking it. He walked through the kitchen towards the living room. He got to the foyer when he opened the front door and saw Ricky, talking to Adam, who was holding a package. Flustered Anton approached them.

“Ricky, what are you doing here?” both boys looked at him with concern.

“Hey Mr. Potter,’ said Ricky.

“Mom, you okay? You’re sweating,” said Adam, holding a manila envelope big enough for VHS tape.

“Yeah, I was rushing back to get dinner started.”

“Oh, dad went to get us Indian food for dinner so you didn’t have to cook.”

“Oh, that’s sweet of him. Where’s your brothers?”

“Paul is out with his friends, and Kyle went with dad.”

“Okay, well, is this for me?” Anton refer to the package.

“No, it’s for dad. Ricky just delivered it.”

“Well, thank you Ricky. Adam give it here, I’ll take care of it.”

“No mom, I want to give it to dad.”

“Why?” Anton’s heart pound so loud he heard it in his ears.

“Well, I need to get going, see you at school Adam,” said Ricky, going to his bike and kick starting it twice before it responded, and him taking off.

“Bye!” called Adam.

“Adam why won’t you give me the package?” asked Anton, urgently.

“Because I want dad to see how responsible I am and not be mad at me for breaking, Mr. Perkins window.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that sweetie. He’s never mad at you for too long. Besides,” Anton hated to lie to him, but he was desperate. “The package is from me.”

“It is?” he asked.

“Yes—but I forgot to add something to it and I need it back to put it in.”

“Oh, okay.” He handed it over to Anton, who felt guilty.

“You know, when I do fix my mistake you can still give it to your dad.” Adam smiled as Anton gives him a side hug. “Now go wash up for dinner while I fix this.”

“Okay.” Adam ran off as Anton retreated for his office connected to the kitchen but with a door. He saw that it was only sealed with the gold clip and not the glue.

“Anyone could have opened this,” he said to no one. He opened it and found only a VHS tape with no note. He popped it into his TV and waited as the horror opened to him like a wound in his chest. Perkins has his way with him while he lay motionless, but his eyes were opened and he seems to be responding to his touch. Anton wanted to throw up as he paused the tape.

The sudden burst of the phone ringing made Anton jump. He reached for the receiver that was just inches away. With a shaky voice, he greeted the caller.

“Hello.”

“I hope you liked it Anton. It was rushed so I didn’t have time to edit it,” said Eric Perkins.

“You, sick bastard,” said Anton, turning off the video and removing it from the machine. “I’m going to the police.”

“No, you’re not.”

“Really and why not?” Anton couldn’t fight the tears sliding down his cheeks.

“Anton, you need to watch the end of that tape.”

“No.”

“But I think you will find it interesting. It’s about you and Troy’s town. Go on, I’ll wait.”

A knot formed in Anton’s throat as he replaced the tape and fast forward to the end. He saw Eric holding a paper close enough to see that it was the deed to his family’s farm.

“Do you see it Anton? The deed… my deed.”

“It’s fake.”

“I thought you’d say that. I’ll explain. I discovered that the town Troy thought he bought, was not legally bought. I found the true owner and persuaded her to sell me the land and she did.”

Anton looked at the signature and saw not Troy’s name but Eric Perkins’s instead.

“This can’t be real.”

“Oh, but it is. I am the true owner of that land. I’m holding a deed to it now, and if you don’t do as I say. I will make sure the whole town is bulldozed into the ground.”

“Do as you say? Do what?” Anton, was near hysterics.

“All I’m asking is for once a month. Let me hold you again.”

“What?”

“I was planning to destroy Troy Potter’s dream, but I’m willing to compromise.”

“I can’t.”

“Troy will never have to know. He can keep having those freak events so long as you come to my bed. But if you don’t believe me call the number at the bottom then call me back.” The line went dead.

Anton raced to Troy’s office and searched for the deed to the town. He found it and called property records. His worst nightmares came true. Eric Perkins did own their land. A knot formed in Anton’s stomach at the thought of their town being destroyed. It was his and Troy’s dream. Anton painstakingly calls Eric back.

“Are you convinced?” asked Eric.

“Please. There has to be another way.”

“Once a month Anton. It’s not much of a price for his happiness. I don’t mind giving you something to relax you if that will help.”

“For how long?”

“For as long as I want.”

“No, I can’t.”

“Do you know what Troy would do to me if he found out about this? He would most likely try to kill me. If he does try, I will not only have him put in jail, but also burn that town down. Do you want that over your head?”

“Alright,” Anton said above a whisper.

“When I call. You come.” Perkins disconnected,

Anton returned the paperwork and went back to his office, ejected the tape, taking it into the kitchen. He placed it into a garbage bag than rested it on the cutting board. He grabbed the meat mallet bashing the tape to pieces in the bag. Adam heard the noise and came into the kitchen seeing his mother banging on the bag.

“Mom,” Adam called louder, getting Anton’s attention who looked back at his son.

“Yes, sweetie?”

“What are you doing?”

“Nothing, just tenderizing. Sorry for disturbing you.”

“Are you finished with dad’s package?”

“Yes, I’ll go get it for you.”

Anton went back to his office and searched for something to replace it with when he saw it. The pictures of their last LARP that Troy hasn’t seen yet. There were at least a hundred shots with duplicates so it would feel like the thickness of the tape. He placed them in the envelope and closed it.

He sighed, and tried to collect himself, knowing what he was committing to. But he couldn’t tell Troy. Not until he thinks of a way out. He gave Adam, the package to give his father. Who returned to his room with a hand full of cookies and a glass of milk.

With a grip on the railing, Anton went upstairs to his room. He tugged off his outerwear and then his clothes. Going to the bathroom, he turned on the shower and stood under the warm jets trying to remember what happened. He looked at his body and saw no visible marks, but for some reason, he could feel something on his skin. A grab for the soap Anton washed his skin thoroughly three times. He stayed under the water until it went cold.

His memory was still a blur as he dried his hair and body, putting on his robe and slippers. He put his clothes in the hamper and carried his coat, boots, and scarf downstairs putting them away in the hall closet.

Moving to the liquor cabinet, he poured himself a whiskey and swallowed it down. Then poured himself another, drinking it as quick as the last.

He looked at the clock in the living room and realized Troy and the boys will be home soon. Locking the cabinet, he took the glass to the kitchen and rinsed it out, then placed it in the dishwasher. He looked at the cookies he’s made and wanted to throw up. He ran out the kitchen and back upstairs to his room. Falling onto the bed, he closed his eyes and started to cry. He didn’t wake up until the next day.

*************

For the last fifteen years Anton had to endure Perkins for the sake of his family. He couldn’t take it anymore. The lies he had to tell Troy, the secrets he had to keep. Perkins stepped into his home. He never did that before. It was always at his place. Anton couldn’t go on any more. He pulled up behind Troy’s Rang Rover and turned off his car lights. Paul’s truck wasn’t in the drive so thankfully Troy was still in the field with the boys.

He got out of his car and his body burned from exhaustion. He wanted to take a velum and sleep, but his baby boy Adam was coming home and he needed to get ready. He walked in and went over to the sink and washed his hands. He checked his roast and started his sides. He went upstairs and took a quick shower, washing away his guilt.

Paul is going through something but is it about Adam?
Thanks for reading. Please leave a review or like.
Denise Matthews 2016
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Things just keep getting more mysterious. I am anxious to see what happens next and where all this ends up. What is Paul's problem? I guess things aren't as happy as they seemed when Adam's office was being set up. Hmmm...

Link to comment
On 09/30/2016 11:43 PM, Gene63 said:

Things just keep getting more mysterious. I am anxious to see what happens next and where all this ends up. What is Paul's problem? I guess things aren't as happy as they seemed when Adam's office was being set up. Hmmm...

Paul has jealous issues with Adam being the youngest in the family. Also, he's going through something else.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I wonder what's going on with Paul? It seems like it was a fairly simple situation made much worse by lack of communication. You have me wondering if his behavior is tied to those pictures and if there's something behind the surface of Paul that no one would ever dream of suspecting... (don't answer that..I want to be surprised ;) )

Link to comment
On 10/01/2016 11:22 AM, Valkyrie said:

I wonder what's going on with Paul? It seems like it was a fairly simple situation made much worse by lack of communication. You have me wondering if his behavior is tied to those pictures and if there's something behind the surface of Paul that no one would ever dream of suspecting... (don't answer that..I want to be surprised ;) )

Then all I will say is Thanks for reading and reviewing.:)

Link to comment

First, key, I am SO sorry for posting an earlier review in the wrong chapter! If I could have deleted it and put it in the right place, I would've.

 

Wow. That escalated SO fast. Anton overreacted. I thought Adam was helping Paul out, then Paul snapped at him. I would've liked to have seen how everyone else responded to the outburst. Maybe in the next chapter? Also, do the parents and Tina dye their hair? Aren't they in their 60's? No gray hair in the bunch? No weather-beaten faces on farm owners who've spend the majority of their lives outside? It's kind of like you're equating vitality with youth, which is not always the case.

Link to comment
On 10/04/2016 01:18 PM, Geemeedee said:

First, key, I am SO sorry for posting an earlier review in the wrong chapter! If I could have deleted it and put it in the right place, I would've.

 

Wow. That escalated SO fast. Anton overreacted. I thought Adam was helping Paul out, then Paul snapped at him. I would've liked to have seen how everyone else responded to the outburst. Maybe in the next chapter? Also, do the parents and Tina dye their hair? Aren't they in their 60's? No gray hair in the bunch? No weather-beaten faces on farm owners who've spend the majority of their lives outside? It's kind of like you're equating vitality with youth, which is not always the case.

I did mention Troy having grey hair but Anton and Tina do dye their hair.

The Potter boys do have sibling rivalry mostly because Adam being the youngest got spoiled the most for being the last child.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..