Jump to content
    Kiltie69
  • Author
  • 7,278 Words
  • 4,821 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Marcus and the Slave - 9. Chapter 9

Marcus sets plans in motion to fight back.

Marcus and the Slave

Koen had seen the cook and arranged a late meal for Marcus. He knew he cared deeply for Marcus, but now he was a target, well he had survived battles before, this one was different but he would survive this. As he thought through the problems of protecting himself and Marcus, he moved through the villa, back to his small room in the Dominus's chambers. Young Lucius was there when he arrived, immediately Koen saw the worry in his eyes.

"What is wrong Lucius, why the look of worry and fear?"

Lucius sat on his bed, head hung.

"You saved the Dominus but why would someone try killing him? What would happen if they had succeeded? I heard that this was all your doing. All because you attacked those men."

Koen, who at first had felt a caring streak now felt anger, he knew after long association with the young man that he loved his gossip. But this was something that was fueled by other things than the need for gossip.

"Lucius, do not speak of such things, if the Dominus hears you, he will be hurt. He was not the target, as such. I was. Crassus wants me dead to hurt the Dominus through me."

Lucius raised his head, tilting it questioningly. Then a realization passed over his face. He had been aware over the recent months of less time with the Dominus, but thought it was because Koen was new, not because Marcus was interested more in him.

They talked about the day and all the things that had happened, Koen always mindful of Marcus and kept checking on his wellbeing. He seemed to have settled and was sleeping peacefully. Paying only enough attention to Lucius to ensure he could respond to any questions, Koen stood in the doorway again.

He looked at the man who was his Dominus, his master. He watched as the skin over his chest rose and fell. Marcus had shifted while sleeping[,] his blanket slipping till it only covered his pelvis and. Koen studied the man in front of him, his feelings of happiness, battling the fear of the near loss.

Marcus Quintillus Braxus, you are my Dominus, you are the master of my heart. I now realise this, I am yours to command. Always.

He felt eyes on him and realised Lucius was watching him, staring, waiting for a response.

"Sorry, Lucius what was that?"

"I asked where Gracchus was during the attack. He is the Dominus's bodyguard."

"Marcus sent him on an errand to Rome. He should return on the morrow."

"You seemed lost there, were you thinking of Marcus?

Koen turned back to look at Lucius.

Was he fishing for gossip or did he actually detect a concern in his voice?

"I was rethinking what happened today." A neutral answer was probably for the best.

Lucius watched him for a short time then turned to his sleeping pallet and lay down. Koen still stood in the doorway watching his Dominus. He watched as he stirred from sleep, sitting and stretching, he noticed the small smile playing across Marcus's lips, wondering what had brought it to them. He snapped from his thoughts remembering his duties.

"Are you rested Dominus? Cook is preparing a light supper which will be ready shortly. Can I assist you?" He held up a short tunic at this, offering it to Marcus.

------

Marcus had been dreaming, the dream was quite erotic, but unusual. Unusual in so far as he was being taken and was enjoying it. Like all dreams, as he started to enjoy things, he woke up. Coming to slowly, he sat up smiling at what had happened in his dream. He noticed Koen moving from the doorway towards him.

--------

Koen was surprised to see Marcus lookingso refreshed; he had been ashen and exhausted just hours before. A slave entered to inform them the supper was ready, which Marcus opted to have it in his office, sending Lucius off to make the rushed preparations.

"Koen, was it you who brought me from the bath? Gratitude, it amazes me that has been such a short time since I purchased you. You have proven your worth many times now; you anticipate my needs and all this in such a short time."

-------

Koen stood, his head slightly bowed as Marcus spoke. He felt embarrassed to receive such praise from him, it also made him feel...complete...that was it. Being with Marcus always felt more than a slave and master relationship. It felt right. He knew it would never be more though, he was after all a slave.

------------------

Gracchus had reached the outskirts of Rome and the Fields of Mars. There was a small city’s worth of tents below him. Near its heart he could see the Praetorium, where he would likely find Remus Augustus. Approaching the tents, he was stopped and challenged by a guard and shortly afterward he was on his way deeper into the camp, escorted by two Legionnaires. His horse taken to the picket line near the guard post.

Remus's tent was close to the Praetorium, as he had expected, and after a short announcement, he stood before the man himself. Remus was much like Marcus in stature, but had a shock of straw blonde hair and hazel eyes; his ancestors must have been from one of the subjugated lands.

Gracchus announced the reason for his visit handing Remus the invite. The man read the message, smiled, and spoke.

"Marcus is well I hope, tell your master I gladly accept his invite and will visit a week hence. It is late, we can find you accommodation in the baggage train, or you can find some in the city. I will give you a pass in that case."

Gracchus grew angry at the inference he was a slave. He had been freed and was paid to guard Marcus. But he was here, and at present Marcus was guarded by no one but that piece of refuse he called a body slave. Gracchus knew it was more than that Koen had impressed his employer, he knew what was going on. He was not blind to the attraction Marcus held as well as its reciprocation.

He was drawn back to the present by a cough.

"Sorry Primus, I am employed by Marcus and I am no longer a slave[,] so a pass will not be required. But I will accept the hospitalities of the baggage train."

Remus nodded and called a soldier over. After a quick conversation the soldier and Gracchus were on their way through the tents.

------

The baggage train was more than just an area where supplies were kept, it was really the camp followers. Paddlers and traders, prostitutes and people of the underworld, and anyone else who was not part of the legion, but kept it fighting.

There was noise and bustle, people tried to engage the pair as they moved through the camp. Women flaunted their wares, a few men too]. Peddlers tried to sell him jewellery, wine, weapons. He saw more than one fight on his way through the site. The soldier that led him stopped at a tent and opened it. The tent was huge, inside it had been partitioned. A wizened man sat at a table.

"The Primus Pilus wants accommodation for this one."

The old man looked at Gracchus then stood and shuffled off down the fabric corridor nearing the back wall and pulled back a flap. Inside was a sleeping pallet and a small table with a jug and bowl.

"You can have this one, I wouldn't leave anything in the tent unless you’re here." This said, he turned and shuffled back to his desk.

Gracchus only wanted to eat and drink, maybe some gaming. A night’s rest brought on by good company, of the female kind, would be a bonus.

He left in search of the first two.

As the bugles sounded parade in the army camp, Gracchus woke. He felt satisfied he had eaten and drank and in the end found some female company willing and pliant. He quickly washed using the water from the jug. Once dressed he was off, his return journey uneventful.

------------

Gracchus had returned and the invite had been accepted. When Gracchus heard of the attempt on Marcus,he immediately went to talk to him. Finding him in his office Gracchus bid entry and a word.

"Dominus, here is Remus Augustus's reply: He is pleased to accept your invite and will arrive in 7 days. He looks forward to seeing you again."

Marcus steepled his fingers together and smiled; his plan had taken life. He had a week to organise for his guests and then, hopefully, he would be able to carry the rest out. His thoughts were interrupted by Gracchus, who carried on.

"Why did you send me off on an errand anyone could have completed? I heard what happened yesterday; had Prastagus not been there you may now be dead."

Marcus's face clouded as he listened. Gracchus had been a loyal employee for so long, but he still couldn't believe his audacity in speaking out, especially when it held no truth. He rose from behind his desk, as he did he held up a hand indicating to Gracchus to be silent.

"Firstly Gracchus, you are my employee; I will send you where I want when I want. Secondly Koen, not Prastagus saved me. Not only that, but he caught the assassin. Were it not for him, you would now be unemployed. Finally, I was not the target, he was. Lucius Crassus planned his death as he thought it would upset me. He believes I have feeling for this slave."

The very mention of the slave's name made Gracchus's blood boil.

"This is not the first time Koen has performed duties you were hired for without thought. I am of a mind to make him my personal servant, not just my body slave. Your duties would be the same."

Marcus noticed how Gracchus was red with rage, he knew Gracchus had issues with his slave, but what he was seeing spoke of a deeper issue. The pure anger Gracchus was displaying spoke of a hatred beyond that he was aware of.

"Dominus, he is a slave. Would you trust your very existence to a man you own? I do not trust him, I never have. I know you have feelings for him, I saw that at the slave market but you must know he can never be trusted."

Marcus had placed his hands on the desk, fingers arched and spread, his head hung down listening to Gracchus. He raised his head and spoke.

"Gracchus you have always been loyal, it is how you gained your freedom. You were once a man like Koen. Do you remember? Do you remember the tales and stories the others spread? How you would do anything to please me? Though that was not the case. You saved me as a young man and through that gained your freedom. Koen could have that chance too would you deny a man that chance?"

Gracchus looked everywhere but at Marcus.

"Your leave Dominus." At the slight nod[, he stalked off, rage echoing in his footsteps.

Marcus could only look on as he left.

'I will need to watch that one. He is loyal to a fault[, but inflexible.'

He made a mental note to keep the two men apart if possible. Then a thought hit him, Gracchus needed to see how capable Koen was. This upcoming visit might prove useful.

Marcus called for Lucius, a plan forming in his mind.

The rest of the week was filled with ensuring the upcoming visit was organised.

Wine and food were brought from storage. Guest rooms were aired and cleaned. The various house slaves made aware of Remus's possible desires and told to provide them.

Finally when all was ready, it was the day before Remus's arrival. Marcus was working on the accounts and records for the farm. Since expanding. he had improved on yield of crop as well as profit, and through it all. he had lost only two slaves. One to illness the other executed for thieving and attempted escape. He was a fair man. but it had been the fourth time the slave had run. He was trouble. so Marcus dealt with it.

----------------

The day of the visit dawned bright. the sky afire with the rising sun, not a cloud to be seen.

Koen had been summoned to attend Marcus early, the sun had barely shown signs of awakening when Marcus had called his name. At first Koen thought he required relief. but on rising he had found his master awake and dressed.

"Koen, I require you at your best today, I wish to bathe, as you will too. Dress in your best attire. Be ready though to show your.......attributes. Remus's tastes are not as mine, but he always did appreciate a warrior. I have given Lucius and Ariana orders to attend to the needs of Remus, if you are asked to help, you are to direct him to me. Tonight we will dine and no doubt drink, you will ensure I make my bed safely. Tomorrow I have a small spectacle planned. You will be required to take part. You may find it interesting."

The rest of the day passed quickly, final details and preparations were made.

Marcus heard the noise of horses, even this far into the villa it was unmistakable. He stood and checked himself, he was dressed in his patrician toga. He was moving to the door when Koen appeared; the man knew how to impress. He wore a dark red tunic, the colour of drying blood cinched at the waist with a broad leather belt. This had the effect of showing his physique off without flesh being revealed. Marcus had paused in his stride when he had seen him. He felt a stirring, it had been a while, but he knew immediately the feeling. Lust was a thing he had dealt with in the legion, though carefully. This was the one other, the more delicate sibling feeling. His heart flipped, his face broke into a smile that started at his eyes and spread to his lips. His heart beat faster; had he not had guests to attend to he would have asked Koen to attend him then and there.

"Dominus, Remus Augustus and his guard have arrived."

Marcus woke to his immediate duties and headed to meet his guests.

-----

On entering the front hall of the villa[,] he was met with the sight of his former subordinate, resplendent in his uniform. On either side stood two Legionnaires.

"Remus, welcome to my home."

Marcus approached his friend and gripped his forearm in greeting.

"You look well, the journey was good I take it. Come let us partake of some wine."

With this he indicated a curtained archway which led to the villa proper.

The group moved with Marcus and Remus in the lead and Koen and the Legionnaires in the rear.

At the centre of the villa, they were immediately met by a group of house slaves serving wine and small bites to eat. Remus was guided to a seat next to a water feature. His escort took stations around the room.

"It has been too long, old friend, how have the fates treated you since leaving the legion?"

Marcus smiled at the ease in which they fell into conversation. It had been too long since they last spoke.

"As you can see, they have blessed me after my losses. The farm and vineyard do well. I cannot complain. But you must be tired from your journey? My slaves Lucius and Ariana will show you to your quarters and attend your needs. Koen will see to your escort. They will be in the small building across from your quarters. I will see them well fed and......entertained. Go refresh, bathe, rest. We will meet for dinner and you can tell me of your adventures since I left the legion."

Both men stood, shook forearms and moved off. Marcus to his private office, Remus following Ariana with Lucius in tow.

Dinner came quick enough for all concerned. Marcus and Remus sat chatting while they ate and drank. They reminisced about their campaigns, then talked of what had been happening to each in the past year.

As Marcus talked, he watched his former subordinate, gauging him. After a while he knew it was time to broach the subject that he invited Remus for.

"It is good to see you are doing well, Remus, and you are no doubt wondering why I invited you. Since leaving the Legion I have become a wealthy man. This has brought good and bad with it. The good, you see around you, I want for nothing. The bad is that others, who are jealous, are now trying to ruin my name, and in one case have tried to harm me through others."

Remus sat listening, his face passive, showing nothing, just the odd nod and acknowledgement as Marcus related the tale of the Market place and the attempted killing, along with all the other slights he had suffered.

"So to why I asked you here is this; I wish to make the man, regret his attempts. I have the proof he tried to kill my body servant. The rest is clear for all to see. What I need are some men. I thought with the legion here there would be a few who were leaving and would need of work. I would pay well. You know who is available and I trust your judgement. My idea would require ten men, if well trained, fifteen if not. Can you help with this, my friend?"

Marcus sat back and sipped his wine while watching Remus for any reaction. He didn't have long to wait.

"My friend, your hospitality has been more than I could wish, yes I can help you and I know the very men. You remember Marius, from the first; he is leaving as are the rest of his contubernia, that would give you eight men of veteran status. As for the rest I have a few ideas. Why not come to Rome, when I return and we can see who else would suit?"

Marcus could only smile as his friend started to name men, some he knew well, some he knew by name. It was then arranged that when Remus left, Marcus would join him and visit Rome. Finally they sat and just talked. Remus voiced his concern about Marcus's general security to which Marcus said he was safe enough. He had Gracchus and now Koen and after some discussion a challenge was placed between Marcus's slave and bodyguard and the Legionnaires in Remus's escort. A friendly bout of wrestling and sword practice, pride the prize, to be run the next day.

The square at the rear of the house was turned into a small arena the next morning; sand and reeds put down to soften falls.

-----

Marcus had spoken to Gracchus before he had gone to bed, explaining what the plan was. He also mentioned that it would be he and Koen fighting for his honour. Gracchus's response was a little more than Marcus had expected.

"Dominus. I will gladly fight for your honour in this, but I will not set foot in the arena with that slave. "Prastagus would be a better choice for this."

"Gracchus, why do you hate Koen as much? He proved his worth against Lucius's men in the slave market then again out in the fields. He deserves this chance to show his worth. He is loyal to this house and would fight for it with pride."

"You talk of him as something other than a slave. Dominus[,] I know how your views are coloured with your desires for that trash. He is a slave below you in every way. Jupiter's cock, he is below the plebs in the marketplace. Why do you treat him above his station?"

This last part was said in a raised voice so much so that Marcus drew him a look. One rarely seen in the household.

"Gracchus, you have been loyal to this house since before I was a man, it does not give you the right to question your Dominus. To raise your voice to him. What I do with my life is for me to choose]. I suggest you leave now before more is said that may be regretted. I treat all my slaves the same. As for who I have in bed, I do not question your tastes and pleasures. Keep out of mine. You will fight alongside Koen tomorrow for this house. If not..... "

Marcus couldn't say it, he knew that if things didn't improve he would have to choose. He also knew who t would be.

"Leave me! Be ready for tomorrow."

Gracchus left, scowling. Marcus sat back and closed his eyes, he did not want to choose. But if it happened, Gracchus for all his service and loyalty would lose. Koen had found his way past years of defences. Found a place that only Marcellus had been before.

Marcus knew it would be frowned upon by his peers but love was love. What was it to them if he wanted his slave? AS it was he tended most of his needs, it was not just a natural progression. His thoughts were interrupted by the very cause, Koen returning from his latest tasks to attend him, see him to bed. As Marcus was undressed and bathed, his mind wandered to what sort of life he would have if Koen had been a Roman. It would ave been easy if he was high born, or a rich merchant scion, harder if he was a common pleb. Soon, he was under the sheet and drifting into dreamland. He woke refreshed, the night filled with dreams of love and romance, his life intertwined with Koen. Koen, as always, was awake and ready to attend his needs.

--------

Midday had arrived and the small arena was full of bustle. Marcus and Remus sat to the side as they watch slaves and Legionnaires ready themselves for the events to come. Gracchus had turned up, but obviously was here on sufferance, he glowered at all around. The Legionnaires were stretching and practicing holds and moves on each other. Koen stood at the side, hands clasped to the front of his body, the stance was that of a supplicant, a slave, but his bearing was that of a warrior; his eyes watched the soldiers, taking in every detail.

Marcus watched him, admiring the way his muscles were like marble; his time as a slave had toned him even more. He would serve as an excellent model for any medicus discussing muscle or human form.

The bouts were organized, First the wrestling, Gracchus was paired with a lithe and wiry Legionnaire, Koen's opponent was a man of similar stature who clearly was a veteran of battle, given his many scars.

The first fight was quick. Both men, naked, circled each other trying to get a suitable hold. After some tussling and withdrawing[,] Gracchus got the upper hand and managed to bring down the Legionnaire and force him into a hold. The match was called and the first round went to Marcus. Both men left the ring to the shouts of the few watchers, the Legionnaire facing the catcalls of his peers with good humour.

Koen stood, removing his subligar, as two slaves raked the sands flat. He watched his opponent, assessing him. His strength was obvious in the cabling and muscle that flexed as he moved to enter the ring.

Marcus called for the fight to start and immediately the legionnaire went on the attack, like a charging bull. Koen judged the man massed more than he so had an advantage in a push and shove tussle, but after years of wrestling and fighting with his clansmen and clan enemies he knew a thing or two. The bull was almost on him when Koen pushed the outstretched grabbing hand to the side, unsteadying his opponent. The bull failed to fall, but became more wary in his moves.

-------------

Marcus sat admiring both men as they faced off against each other. On his start call the legionnaire rushed forward. Marcus watched in joy as Koen's muscles seemed to twitch and the next minute the legionnaire was stumbling past him. There were cat calls from other escorts and Remus commented aloud how not to underestimate a man just because he was below someone. Marcus smiled as he watched the men circle, probing for a chance. A lunge here, a slap, a grab. All the time the flow of movement enthralling.

He admired the skill of the legionnaire, as he gained a hold and only by speed and skill did Koen escape a fall. This was entertainment. The gladiatorial games were enjoyable, but to see two men wrestle for dominance over each other was entertainment. Marcus watched and exchanged comments on the combatants when suddenly there was a loud slap and the legionnaire was on his back, Koen swarming over him. For all the man’s mass, Koen's skill and speed ensured a pin and ultimately victory.

With this, a break was called to give the combatant a chance to rest and refresh and the watchers a chance for something to eat.

------

"Marcus your men are indeed skilled; Sullus is legion wrestling champion and your slave bested him. Where does he hail from?"

"Remus, he is the man I spoke of, the one in the market. H]e hails from Gallia Belgica. He had caught my eye in the slave market and is now, after a year, my personal body slave."

Remus smiled at this.

"You were always known for your fine taste in.....men. This one surely measures up, my friend. He is impressive to say the least, and my impression watching him is that he is loyal, to you, to a fault. It may even be more than that. Your slaves are all of excellent quality; Ariana is a charm and very talented. Your man Lucius has his talents also. You know I do not mind either form. But my tastes are for the slight, not the hulks you prefer. Gracchus is a man nearer to my taste, were he not so marred by battle and age. Let us continue the entertainment, I wish to see how your men will do against veteran fighters of the legion."

Marcus signaled to get ready for the next round. This was to be fought with wooden gladius, the same as the Gladiators trained with. Again Gracchus was starting for Marcus, he stood facing his opponent, sword held to the side as if he cared little of what was happening. His opponent stood ready as if at combat practice in the legion.

They again circled each other, as two great cats would before combat. Gracchus moved first and the game had commenced, the sound of the wood clashing rang out along with the song of wood on flesh and leather and both men were landing blows. It was evident that both men were skilled in the use of arms though Gracchus had the experience of street fighting, which gave have a trick or two. One such trick saw his opponent sprawl on his back, a great red welt across his stomach where, had the blade been real, he would clearly would have been cleaved in two. Gracchus was declared victor after this.

Koen's round was over in seconds; his opponent not at all ready for the fury of his assault and his skill with a blade. Yet again a slave underestimated for his abilities.

Remus stood and applauded the victors, his escort bruised and sore shook hands with Gracchus and acknowledged] Koen.

"Marcus, your man Gracchus is formidable. I see why you are not concerned for your immediate safety. Now your slave, on the other hand, is a surprise. He clearly was a warrior given the scars, but his skill is what I would expect from a veteran of the Arena. Had you more like him, you would not require to hire men at all. I have rarely seen anyone take a man out so thoroughly."

"Thank you Remus, as I said I am happy with my men, both have skills that make them special."

Remus smiled a knowing smile and nodded. Marcus continued

"My friend, I have a thing or two that needs attending. I will see you at evening meal and we can make final preparations for our trip."

With this they parted, Remus in one direction, Marcus in another.

----------

Koen had quickly washed and dressed and know stood in the private office of Marcus. He ached a little after his combat, but on the whole had been energized by it. He had seen the pride on Marcus's face when he had bested the soldiers. Gracchus had even acknowledged him in passing as he entered the room. Feeling proud of his achievements[,] he waited for Marcus to issue his orders.

"Koen, you did well today; Remus was impressed and it seems the Legionaries wish to train with you, if they can, they want to learn how to survive in combat with your people's. I am proud of you, as you should be proud of yourself. Come, I wish to bathe before dinner."

As always, the bath was filled and warm and Koen was soon waist deep in its waters cleansing his Dominus. Marcus watched the man move stiffly as he bathed him. The wrestling had been challenging and Koen had fought well, for him.

"Koen come join me, sit with me a moment, no one will find out let the heat ease your tension. As your Dominus I command it. Come sit here, next to me"

Marcus indicated a spot near his right side where, once sitting, Koen would be submerged to his ample shoulders.

"Thank you, for your kindness Dominus, but I should be attending to you."

Marcus repeated his command a little more firmly and reluctantly Koen obeyed. Soon finding himself immersed in the scathing heat of the bath. They sat, quietly letting the heat ease their tensions and all too soon it was time to ready for dinner.

Dinner itself was a pleasant, but sad affair as Remus was returning to Rome in the morning. It was decided that Marcus and Gracchus would head to the city, while Koen stayed at the villa. His place as body slave allowed him certain privileges. During the discussion of the plans, Marcus gave him one other gift.

"Koen you have helped me maintain the villa and farms since you became my personal slave. You know what is required and you will be head of the household while I'm away. I trust you to ensure my property and name are taken good care of. I will be back in three days so you should not have too many problems. Oh, and to ensure there will be no issues with the others, I am making you head slave for the house of Marcus Quintillus Braxus.

Koen couldn't believe what had just happened, he was awed that Marcus trusted him in this way, and a little terrified of failing him.

He thanked Marcus promising he would do only his best. Marcus placed a small pottery medallion around his neck, signifying Koen was in charge in his absence. He then continued to make final arrangement with Remus.

Soon Marcus and Remus bade each other goodnight and headed off to their respective rooms.

----------------

Marcus was headed to Rome; it had been years since he had been to the city. In fact, the last time Marcellus had been with him. He rode in relative silence, his thoughts on what he planned to achieve. The journey was unexceptional except for the running comments and questions from Remus, who did all in his power to keep some conversation going, but after some time remained quiet himself.

The journey was soon over and all too soon Marcus stood at the gates of Rome, the centre of the empire and known world. Gaining entry, they made their way to the dock area; a poorer section of the city but[,] one that Remus knew was frequented by the men of the legion. They found a few men from the 13th and after some questions and a little coin[,] they found the information they wanted.

Remus had arranged accommodation in an inn, over in another area of the city. So with the information they had, they headed off. Originally Remus had planned to stay on the fields of Mars with the remains of the 13th, but given what was required[,] he decided it best to finish helping Marcus before he headed back. The areas they would frequent were not the place for high citizens like Marcus. Though Remus knew that he was capable of defending himself, to be safe, he would act as an escort in addition to Gracchus.

The evening passed pleasantly much like the previous. Gracchus went off looking for a whore, Remus flirted with the daughter of the Inn owner, Marcus sat enjoying the company, his thoughts on his villa, his plans and Koen. Soon enough, the men were in their room. Having lived in the legion, sharing was not something they were unaccustomed to.

The next day saw the three men dressed in plain garb, wandering through the crowded warren that was the entertainment area of the docks. Whores flaunted themselves, some clearly past their best, others pretty and lithe, but obviously with other issues. While Marcus and Remus moved through the throng with purpose, Gracchus was somewhat distracted.

It took a comment from Remus about one particularly attractive, but obviously posed whore to draw him back to his task of protecting Marcus. They soon found the drinking den that was frequented by members of the thirteenth. Many inns in the city were known to favour one legion, this one was run by a former thirteenth Legionnaire and so favoured those of the famous legion.

Entering the dimly lit building, the first thing to hit Marcus was the smell; spices, ale, wine, and sweat, pungent and acrid, the smells of hard labour and relaxation. Next was the noise, loud, full of life and laughter, which at their entry died almost instantly to a slight whisper.

Gracchus spotted a table of to the side and headed towards it, not even halfway there before a roar broke the silence.

"By my balls and Jupiter’s cock, what bring the famous Marcus Quintillus Braxus to our humble drinking den?"

The roaring man stood up as he said this, he was stocky, broad and solid. There was a ripple of sound round the room and then a rush of noise as customers rose to greet the three newcomers.

Marcus faced the man. "Marius, how long has it been? Last I saw you, you were thigh deep in barbarians. You are well, I see."

The man they had been looking for had found them. They were guided to his table and room was made as introductions were made and greetings exchanged.

"So Marcus, what brings you to this hole in the back end of nowhere?"

Marcus remembered that] Marius was a direct man, never one to prevaricate or waste time. This had served him well in the legion.

"Marius, I am in the market for some men, ten men if trained. I have a problem that needs taken care of. It affects my honour and my life. Can you think of any who would be willing to assist? I will pay well and if all works well, I will also provide some land. Would you know of any men who wouldn't mind some extra cash and honour?"

Marius watched the three men as he pondered what to say. He saw Remus look between them and wink. Marcus had been a fine and honest man and Marius owed him his life more than once, as many in the room did. For Marcus to seek help meant that trouble had come to him.

"Marcus, I owe you many a life debt, as do most here. You were much respected and it was a sad day when you left, though we did get Remus in your place. Not as talented and handsome, but skilled and honest nonetheless. This problem you require aid with, can I ask what it is?"

Marcus told the gathered men the basics of the situation with Lucius the miner. Throughout it, Marius just looked on thoughtful, listening to everything. Once completed, Marius nodded.

"Marcus come back for supper and I will have your answer, I know the very people to help you." Marius stood and, grasping Marcus's forearm, left the room.

As the three men headed out, Marcus knew his men would be forthcoming so decided to enjoy the rest of his day in the Rome at the public baths.

----------

The whole time Marcus was in Rome, Koen was fretting. He had seen the farm and villa run and knew most of its workings, he knew most of the day-to-day stuff was all handled by people like Prastagus. There was little that was required of the head of the house other than the occasional signature to release funds for food or other items.

Things would have went well were it not for one slave thinking that because the master was away he could make his escape. He hadn't got far before capture and was dragged back to the villa and thrown in a cell. He had tried pleading with Koen, who through his anger at the man, had told him he would face punishment as all did. As this was his third attempt he would be castrated, and have tendons in his legs cut to make it difficult for him to move.

This done, the rest of the time without Marcus had Koen in a sweat of worry. Not knowing how Marcus was faring and fearing for him. By the end of the second night Koen, was uncharacteristically in a panic. He barely slept; even Lucius's efforts to ease his mind didn't work.

The third day dawned and Koen, having not slept, was up at cock’s crow and harassing the staff to have everything ready for Marcus's return. Seeing everything in order, he settled a little to eat.

Sitting in the office, he was chewing on some fruit while listening to Mascius explain some aspect of the villas finances, when a breathless slave bade entry.

"Koen, something has happened in the orchard. Several trees have been cut down and lit on fire overnight. The old watchman was found near death. He had been struck and left for dead."

In seconds Koen was on the move, Mascius close behind. They found Prastagus and soon all three were headed to the scene of the vandalism.

Seeing the damage, it was clear that what had been done had been thought through and clearly an act to damage Marcus’s reputation. The one piece of luck they had had was that the fire hadn't spread. The ground here was well-tended and watered so the fire had failed to catch, though the felled trees were still smoldering.

Heading back to the main villa and compound[,] Mascius bade leave to sort out final arrangements for Marcus's return, while Koen and Prastagus sought out the medicus and old watchman.

The old man was unconscious. but the medicus informed them he had woken, once already and would again. Koen felt his spirits rise for the first time since Marcus's departure[.] Maximus was old but well-liked, he was a stubborn old goat, but a survivor. He asked the medicus to inform him the minute his charge woke. Then he headed back to the villa to put finishing touches to the slates and papers reporting the events of the past three days.

--------------

Marcus and Remus had parted with promises of keeping in touch on the third day. He had met with Marius the previous night and, as Remus had said, found that he and his men were willing to assist. Not only that, but a further four men, all trusted by Marius were also willing. So the band of men, Marcus and Gracchus in the lead, headed back to Neapolis, and the villa.

---------------

Koen had a slave watching the road for the approach of Marcus or anyone for that matter. Just as he was told Maximus was awake, there was a shout from outside to say the Dominus was approaching.

Koen quickly tidied and straightened the office and moved into the main reception of the villa just in time to hear Marcus and Gracchus come in followed by a dozen men all with the bearing of warriors.

"Dominus, I'm am glad to see you returned safely. Supper will be ready in 30 minutes."

"Ah, Koen, thank you, this is Marius, and these are his men, all ex-legion; they are here to help with our problem."

Koen looked over the men then called over one of the house slaves and sent him to arrange accommodation in the building so that had been recently used by the escort of Remus.

Marcus watched and smiled at how well his slave handled the surprise. As he was watching the goings on he, saw another slave come and start to talk to Koen, just as he realised his real master was in the room. The slave panicked and fled his presence, piquing Marcus's interest.

"Koen, what is going on, has something happened while I was gone?"

Gracchus and Marius now stood behind Marcus, watching him. Gracchus was quite enjoying the sudden look of worry on Koen's face.

"Dominus, someone attacked your orchard in the night, many trees were felled and set alight. Maximus was found unconscious and left for dead. He has just woken and I am hoping he will be able to shed some light on what occurred."

Marcus let Koen lead the way through the villa, till they arrived at the small apothecary room. Seeing the old man bandaged and bruised made Marcus furious, who would do such a vile thing to one so elderly?

Maximus saw the group approach and tried to get up, but he was quickly scolded by both the medicus and his Dominus for doing so. After a time, he settled again and thanked the medicus along with apologising to Marcus.

"Maximus, can you remember what happened?"

The old man responded and started to tell all he remembered. A key part of this was identifying two of his assailants. One was the son of the mine overseer, the other a known troublemaker for hire. Marcus had no doubt both were working under Lucius's orders. It was time to put plans in motion, time to start hitting back at the slights Lucius kept throwing his way.

With this information, Marcus thanked Maximus, then with the three men in tow, headed back to his private suite to discuss the plans. By day's end all knew their part in the adventure to come.

Marcus was finally ready for bed and called for Koen to assist. He was happy that Lucius was occupied. Young Lucius and the few female house slaves were assisting with the care of Marius and his men, a happier slave you have never seen.

 


 

I'd like to take this chance to thank to thank Myiege, my new Editor, for her help on this chapter. I'm not the easiest to work with. I also like to thank all those who have helped so far with Marcus and Koen I always appreciate feedback positive or negative so please leave a review. Chapter 11 should be up in two weeks. The fun begins. What will Marcus do? how will he get his revenge? Tom
Copyright © 2013 Kiltie69; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yay! They're back! It was wonderfully easy to "fall-in" with Marcus and Koen again. You know how to keep my interest from beginning to end.

 

I am definitely sensing a turn in Marcus' feelings as he thinks about his reputation/status within his world/time period. I like how that is not forgotten.

 

I apologize for even mentioning, but (and it has been a problem for me too), be careful of the formatting when you cut and paste. It kind of through me.

 

I am truly enjoying reading Marcus and the Slave. Now don't leave us hanging. I can't wait for the next chapter! More, more, more! :-)

Link to comment

I am really enjoying the story but I do ask that you please use breaks between paragraphs. It can make reading a really good story almost impossible to read for some. Keep up the good work!

Link to comment
On 06/19/2013 02:18 PM, said:
I am really enjoying the story but I do ask that you please use breaks between paragraphs. It can make reading a really good story almost impossible to read for some. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Loveof reading. Not sure what is going on with my uploaads. This is the second time its happened. All sorted now. I write in Pages (mac) and reformat to word then upload so i think there is a translation issue at upload.
Link to comment
On 06/19/2013 11:38 AM, Randomness said:
Yay! They're back! It was wonderfully easy to "fall-in" with Marcus and Koen again. You know how to keep my interest from beginning to end.

 

I am definitely sensing a turn in Marcus' feelings as he thinks about his reputation/status within his world/time period. I like how that is not forgotten.

 

I apologize for even mentioning, but (and it has been a problem for me too), be careful of the formatting when you cut and paste. It kind of through me.

 

I am truly enjoying reading Marcus and the Slave. Now don't leave us hanging. I can't wait for the next chapter! More, more, more! :-)

Randomness thanks for the kind words. Uploaded this last night and headed to bed so only found out the line break issue this morning. Need to talk to Myr or Cia about it. As I said to Loveofreading I think its a format translation issue. When I Paste it shows ok but after it uploads its one big mass. Chapt 11 is in writing so hope itll be up within the 2 weeks. :)
Link to comment

I enjoyed this story when I first came across it a while back. I had to re-read since the last update I had seen was 8 I think. Anyway, I like how you've picked up the pace in theses last two chapters. The earlier ones were entertaining, but introduced the characters and set the tone for story. I like how the events moved more quickly here. One thing I'd like to see is a more info about Koen's past. We know nothing of how long he was a warrior, what his standing was in his clan, was he single when he began the war/was captured? Marcus was obviously very well-known among the members of the legion, and I wonder if Koen knew of him before he was made a slave? I would like to see him developed a bit further and maybe knowing more about him would do the job.

I appreciate the fact that they both are in love with one another, but the sense has been a love affair from a distance b/c though he is his body slave and now top dog in his household, we haven't been privy to any of their more intimate moments outside of the first encounter in the barn. We assume they have been intimate, but we haven't 'seen' it. I think you've done a good job developing the mutual respect and attraction. I know that you are limited by the restrictions placed on Koen and the rules he must follow as a slave. So, it is less likely to see them talking about much, but hopefully you can find a way to do this?

I still have my suspicions as to Gracchus' possible involvement in the slingshot attack. I am kinda less clear on why Gracchus' hate is so strong for Koen. He isn't gay, so he isn't jealous of the physical relationship or even the possible romantic one between Marcus and Koen. Koen isn't a threat to Gracchus' position, unless he continues his questionable behavior.

The story has been well-written and I look forward to more. I can't wait to see them put that awful Lucius. I hope you can work on some of the above, but also show their relationship progressing. I hope the revenge is also very sweet and warns Lucius to step away.

Link to comment
On 06/21/2013 10:12 PM, Cannd said:
I enjoyed this story when I first came across it a while back. I had to re-read since the last update I had seen was 8 I think. Anyway, I like how you've picked up the pace in theses last two chapters. The earlier ones were entertaining, but introduced the characters and set the tone for story. I like how the events moved more quickly here. One thing I'd like to see is a more info about Koen's past. We know nothing of how long he was a warrior, what his standing was in his clan, was he single when he began the war/was captured? Marcus was obviously very well-known among the members of the legion, and I wonder if Koen knew of him before he was made a slave? I would like to see him developed a bit further and maybe knowing more about him would do the job.

I appreciate the fact that they both are in love with one another, but the sense has been a love affair from a distance b/c though he is his body slave and now top dog in his household, we haven't been privy to any of their more intimate moments outside of the first encounter in the barn. We assume they have been intimate, but we haven't 'seen' it. I think you've done a good job developing the mutual respect and attraction. I know that you are limited by the restrictions placed on Koen and the rules he must follow as a slave. So, it is less likely to see them talking about much, but hopefully you can find a way to do this?

I still have my suspicions as to Gracchus' possible involvement in the slingshot attack. I am kinda less clear on why Gracchus' hate is so strong for Koen. He isn't gay, so he isn't jealous of the physical relationship or even the possible romantic one between Marcus and Koen. Koen isn't a threat to Gracchus' position, unless he continues his questionable behavior.

The story has been well-written and I look forward to more. I can't wait to see them put that awful Lucius. I hope you can work on some of the above, but also show their relationship progressing. I hope the revenge is also very sweet and warns Lucius to step away.

Cannd, thank you for the review, I had planned a little bit of Koen's history, but I might now expand on it. As for the relationship, that is about to hot up :) can't say anything else.

Gracchus's problem is he is worried about his boss's standing in the community. A master and a slave in love, never can happen. Will he see the error of his ways? Will he be cause for trouble? Hmmmm

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..