Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 5,995 Words
  • 4,974 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Are You Christian - 10. Chapter 10

Getting off the bus I rushed up to the door and unlocked it. I dropped my bad at the door with a loud thump as the books hit the hardwood floor. I walked up the stairs and into my room to see my tux on my bed still in the dry cleaning bag. Mom had dropped it off during her lunch hour.
 
When I was dressed I stepped across the hall to the bathroom to look my self in the mirror. I sprayed some cologne on my tuxedo then straightened out the red vest before I left the bathroom. Before I left the house I made sure I had my wallet and everything else I would need for the dance and things we had planned. Even though my nerves were threatening to take over, I felt good about meeting up with them and hanging out. Being Lacey’s date scared the hell out of me though.
 
Closing the door behind me, turning the handle to make sure it was locked I walked down the steps to see Jonathon walking down the road wearing a tux. I stopped at the last step to examine him as he made his way through the grass to the sidewalk of my house. Even though I thought he’d be more suited in a football uniform, the careful awkwardness of his step made me smile. He had a backpack with him, which looked odd while wearing his tuxedo.
 
“Hey,” he greeted as his eyes shifted down over my body.
 
“Hi,” I said stepping down to stand with him on the sidewalk leading to the road. It was next to the paved driveway.
 
“You look really good,” he whispered as we started walking towards Matt’s house. The sun was still intense in the late afternoon, I was still getting used to the warmer temperatures of the south. The sun had never been this bright in the city.
 
“You clean up surprisingly well as well,” I responded as I studied him. His broad shoulders and toned arms really filled out the tuxedo he was wearing. He had also made the effort to wear a red tie that made us match, but it was in strict contrast to his eyes that seemed to be brighter to me.
 
“It’s a shame we’re getting all this dressed up just to welcome the fact we’re back in school,” he said. “And I don’t like these things anyway.”
 
“Well we don’t have to go,” I said. “We can just turn around and not go.”
 
“Christian we have to go,” he said smiling. “If we don’t I can’t surprise you later.”
 
“Surprise?” I asked turning to look at the backpack again. “What’s in the bag?”
 
“Nothin,” he said shrugging then he pushed my hand away when I reached for the zipper to peek inside.
 
“I don’t like surprises,” I countered reaching for the zipper again. This time he took hold of my hand and held it down with his.
 
“You’ll like this one,” he said. “Or at least I know I will if you cooperate.”
 
“You’re not planning this huge practical joke are you?” I asked noticing that he still had my hand in his. He was gentle and I could have pulled my hand away easily and continue the little game of trying to peek inside. His touch and the light stroking of his thumb against the back of my hand was something I didn’t want to end. He did though when we heard an approaching car around the curve and I let out a sigh as the dark blue van went around us.
 
“No I’m not,” he said. “The dance will be boring, but I can’t be in trouble.”
 
“Right,” I said, “you have to be a poster boy.”
 
“Exactly.”
 
“Well I guess I can wait for the surprise,” I said as I unbuttoned my jacket to take it off to stay cool.
 
“You don’t have a choice,” he countered shoving me playfully.
 
It was a long walk to Matt’s house, longer than I thought. He lived on the edge of town where most of the properties were surrounded by trees. It was a small town, but by the time Jonathon and I arrived everyone had been waiting for us.
 
“Get lost cousin?” Matt asked as he approached us. There were two cars in the driveway and Matt’s parents were just finishing the washing of them.
 
“No, we live on the good side of town it takes a while to get here.”
 
“Right,” he said, “well we better pile in, who are you riding with?”
 
“Me and Christian are riding with you and Kate,” Jonathon said then Matt smirked.
 
“That won’t work and you know it,” he said as he turned to see Kate and Lacey coming out of the large white house. It was an older house, but it had been worked on a lot to keep it maintained.
 
“And why won’t it?” Jonathon asked crossing his arms. “There is plenty enough room for us in your Dad’s car.”
“Not for Lacey,” Matt answered laughing, “Christian’s date.”
 
“Yeah,” I said, “I’ll need to ride with Lacey.”
 
“But I don’t want to hear her mouth the entire night,” he argued frowning.
 
“Well you’re not attached at the hip to Chris,” Matt countered. “You can ride with us and Lacey and him can ride in Mom’s car with Gavin and Natalie.”
 
“No,” Jonathon argued crossing his arms. I saw that Matt was looking at us both, wondering why he was being difficult about the riding situation.
 
“It’s fine,” I said, “I can ride with Natalie and Gavin with Lacey.”
 
“Good,” Matt added as he smiled and walked around the cars to talk to his parents who had come out of the house to get us ready to leave. Gavin and Natalie still hadn’t arrived at the house.
 
“Why did you agree to that?” Jonathon hissed staring past me to Lacey by the cars.
 
“Because Jonathon she is my date and if I rode with you instead of her how would that look?” I asked getting his attention.
 
“It would look like you’re blowing her off for me,” he answered sighing. “I can’t help being a little jealous.”
 
“It’s cute,” I said smiling, “I’ll see you when we stop.”
 
“Yeah, bye,” he offered as we split up to go stand by the cars we were going to be riding in. Lacey had her hair up in a mess of curls and flowers. She looked pretty in her red dress that flowed easily as the slight breeze blew through the town.
 
“Christian you are hot,” she said and I heard the trunk slam on the other car. I glanced over to see Jonathon tense as he walked around and got into the back seat closing the door.
 
“Thanks,” I responded shrugging, “you’re pretty.”
 
“Awe.”
 
“Ready to go kids?” Matt’s dad asked as he stood by the driver side door.
 
“Where’s Natalie and Gavin?” Lacey asked opening the back door.
 
“We’re picking them up,” he responded, “I’m Jeff your driver for the evening.”
 
“Hi Jeff,” I greeted as I opened the front door ready to sit in the front beside him to get away from Lacey in the back seat.
 
“Sit with me,” Lacey ordered grabbing my hand.
 
“Ok,” I said not putting up a fight as I slid into the back with her getting in beside me. I stayed in the middle knowing that either Gavin or Natalie would be sitting beside me in a little while. Lacey looped her fingers through mine and forced me to hold her hand as Jeff started the car and followed his wife out of their driveway in the direction of Gavin’s house. I didn’t know where he lived, but in the small town it didn’t take long to get there.
 
Natalie came out of the house first, wearing a dark blue dress with silver trim. It flowed as she walked and her hair was down in loose curls. A contrast with Lacey, and when I heard Lacey suck in a breath I glanced around to see her staring at Natalie, her eyes narrowed. Lacey was jealous and when she released my hand and looped her hand around my arm to get my attention I turned back around.
 
“Why does she even want to come to our school opening dance?” She asked leaning her head to rest it on my shoulder. Her arm tightening it’s grip on mine. She scooted closer to me and I felt her leg against mine. I would be sitting in the middle and I knew it was unlikely that I would enjoy this ride in this car. Gavin and Lacey made me nervous and I didn’t know Natalie at all. I was hoping Matt and Kate would be riding with Lacey and I. Jonathon could hold his own in situations like these, I couldn’t, as I wasn’t used to them.
 
“Well she his Gavin’s girlfriend,” I reasoned carefully. I didn’t want to make her mad at me. I didn’t want her arguing with Gavin all night either, since the two liked to do that in school.
 
“He could’ve found a girlfriend from our school,” she said. “She goes to our biggest rival school!”
 
“Oh,” I offered not really knowing how to respond to Lacey. I did notice though when Natalie opened the back door and slid in beside me that Lacey’s personality changed. She was now smiling and when Natalie turned to greet us Lacey reached past me.
 
“Hey Nat,” Lacey greeted, “you look really pretty.”
 
“Thanks, so do you,” Natalie responded. “I really like your pink purse.”
 
“Oh this,” Lacey said grabbing it. “It’s just something I had laying around.”
 
“And who is the cute guy?” Natalie asked and I wanted to roll my eyes. Now I was stuck in the middle of two girls I didn’t understand.
 
“This is Christian,” Lacey introduced. “He’s a new student in school.”
 
“Oh, hey Christian,” Natalie greeted offering her hand. I shook it noticing that her hands were soft to the touch. The back seat also smelled of perfume and lotion as Lacey and Natalie both were wearing it. The mix of smells made my head swim.
 
“Where is Gavin?” Jeff asked looking at us through the rear view mirror.
 
“Oh you know him,” Natalie said rolling her eyes. “He likes to primp.”
 
“You guys are going to be cutting it close,” Jeff said. “Out to eat before the dance, right?”
 
“Yeah,” Lacey answered. “Here he comes.”
 
“Sorry Jeff,” Natalie said. “I’ve been trying to train him to hurry up, but he’s a slow learner.” I couldn’t hold back my amusement. It was the first time that anyone really made fun of Gavin. Lacey was laughing as well and when Gavin slid into the front seat he turned to look at us.
 
“What are you two laughing about?” Gavin asked smirking. “Something dumb since Lacey got it.”
 
“They were laughing at you,” Natalie said as she laughed. “Primping and making us late.”
 
“I was just trying to turn on the sexy,” Gavin stated casually.
 
“Well turn around and put your seat belt on,” Jeff ordered shaking his head. “The sexy, you kids these days.”
 
Jeff was leading the way into town on the way to the movies. It would be weird for me to watch a movie in a tux, but at least I wouldn’t have to talk. I was only comfortable talking to Jonathon for an extended amount of time. I also didn’t have a clue about Lacey and what she would want to talk about either. My hand was sleep from the hold she had on my arm. I looked down at it and when I flexed my hand she looked down too.
 
“Oh sorry,” she whispered letting go. “I don’t know my own strength.”
 
“It’s alright,” I offered swallowing hard, trying to force the nervous lump out of my throat.
 
When he hit the old train tracks we were officially in the business side of the small town. It was a short ride and I was thankful when we finally turned into the mall where the small movie theatre was. Lacey opened the door and slid out and I stood beside her as she smoothed out her dress. She checked her hair in the mirror as well, but I looked around and saw that Jonathon was holding back instead of following everyone else into the mall. He motioned for me with his head to follow him, but Lacey hadn’t left the side of the car. I watched when he finally gave up and slumped his shoulders, then he lightly jogged up to where everyone else was and when they had all disappeared behind the large tinted glass doors Lacey cleared her voice.
 
“Thanks for waiting,” she said. “Just had to do a few touch ups.”
 
“You’re welcome,” I said offering her a quick smile.
 
“Aww you’re so nervous,” she said as she looped her purse over her shoulder then grabbed my hand. “Your palms are even sweaty.”
 
“Sorry,” I said as I wiped my hands on my pants. She took my hand again and laced her fingers with mine. Her hands were cold to the touch, but soft. It only made me miss holding Jonathon’s hand.
 
“I don’t bite,” she commented laughing slightly. “If you’re this nervous at a back to school dance I can’t wait until I take you to prom.”
 
“Prom?” I asked not liking the idea. “Aren’t we too young for prom?”
 
“Not if we can get tickets from upperclassmen,” She countered as we stepped inside the mall. Everyone else had took time to get popcorn and snacks. Jonathon was the last in line and easily stood out from the old ladies that were ahead of him.
 
“Do you know any upperclassmen?” I asked wanting to go get something to drink. My throat and mouth had started to get dry, and I had to force my voice to be strong. This wasn’t like lunch where Lacey and I could talk easily. She was already discussing other places to take me as her date. I wanted to tell her, but I knew it would be stupid.
 
“Your sister could get them for us easily, but yeah I know some too,” she answered and I nodded then started in the direction of the concession stand in the middle of the mall. Lacey didn’t start walking though and when her hand tightened I looked back at her.
 
“Do you want something for the movie?” I asked and her smile faded quickly.
 
“No,” she answered. “I don’t eat junk like that.”
 
“Not even water?” I asked wanting to get away from her for a few seconds to calm down.
 
“No,” she answered not letting go of my hand to let me go get what I wanted. Then I saw Jeff motion for us to follow them and we walked across the large open mall to where the small theatre entrance was. There wasn’t a wide selection of movies playing, but I didn’t know of anything I wanted to watch.
 
“The only one playing right now is the chick flick,” Gavin said groaning. “Girls have all the luck.”
 
“Tell that to the ones in labor,” Natalie responded then she elbowed him in the side. He let out small grunt escape his lips.
 
“Well kids let’s go watch this movie,” Jeff instructed then we walked down a small hall to a man who waited.
 
“Tickets are three dollars,” the man said. “Please throw away your trash in the proper bins and not the floor.”
 
After we got our tickets we entered the movie room through large metal doors that closed silently behind us. There weren’t too many people watching the movie with us. The theatre looked new though and the seats were large and spaced better than the ones back home in Maryland. It was weird not to see a lot of people and the quiet of the room was also a contrast. Usually people joked around and talked through the advertisements, only getting quiet when the movie started.
 
“Let’s sit in the middle,” Lacey said as she started hurrying through everyone else. I reluctantly followed her making a point to brush my elbow against Jonathon. I wanted him to sit next to me in the theatre so we could at least experience the movie together, since it wasn’t likely to happen at the dance.
 
He didn’t follow us and with the room being almost empty the couples spread out throughout the rows. Jonathon took his seat towards the front four rows from me. I knew that he wasn’t liking the arrangement, and I knew it would look weird for him to sit down beside me now. I was hoping that everyone would sit together as a group, but when I looked back at Matt and Kate, Matt was whispering something in Kate’s ear and she was smiling. Then I looked to my right a few seats down and I saw Gavin trying to kiss Natalie on the cheek, but Natalie was holding up her hand. She was laughing and I realized that the only two people in the whole room not having any fun were Jonathon and me.
 
“I’ve been wanting to see this movie,” Lacey said and she leaned closer to me. I didn’t say anything back; I just slid down in my seat to rest my head. The movie was starting and Lacey got comfortable and I let out a small relieved sigh knowing I wouldn’t have to talk to her until the movie was over. As the movie went along though, I started feeling bad. I glanced in her direction and she was smiling as she watched the movie. I didn’t like the movie myself, but she was enjoying it. Then I looked down at our hands still joined. She no longer cared that my palms were sweaty, and her hand wasn’t cold anymore. In the span of the short time I met Lacey, I wondered how she felt about me. I sensed that she was thinking the gestures was more than just me taking her to a dance as a friend. When she glanced at me, catching me looking at her she only smiled and turned back to the movie. Then she leaned against me and rested her head on my shoulder. I had to keep myself from tensing, so I focused on the movie, not really knowing much about it. The safe effect of the movie was gone now and when the movie ended I wanted the night to end as well, because I knew only a disaster could come from the dance now.
 
“That was the sorriest excuse for a movie,” Jonathon grumbled as we filed out of the theatre. “Next year I vote for bowling.”
 
“In dresses?” Lacey asked, “I don’t think so.”
 
“Who said you’d be invited?” Jonathon asked as he looked down at Lacey holding my hand.
 
“It’s not like you’re allowed to date Jonathon,” Lacey responded, “so you’d be alone.”
 
“I’m alone now,” Jonathon countered and I felt my stomach tense. I looked at him and when Jonathon realized what he said he shook his head and started walking faster.
 
“I feel sorry for him really,” Lacey whispered letting go of my hand for the first time since we started holding hands. I flexed my tired hand, but she looped her arm with mine walking closer to me.
 
“Because he can’t date?” I asked hoping I didn’t look too goofy, because I felt tense and I hoped no one noticed.
 
“Exactly, but it’s not like anyone wants him,” Lacey answered and I frowned. “He’s just a big immature goof.”
 
“He’s not bad,” I defended weakly hoping she’d drop it.
 
“Not bad?” Lacey asked rolling her eyes. “He’s probably not even capable of showing affection.”
 
“How do you know, though?” I asked as we slid into the car. Natalie looked in our direction wondering what we were talking about.
 
“Gavin,” Lacey said, “Jonathon is just a big clumsy goof, right?”
 
“The worst, he’s a walking virgin,” Gavin stated and I felt the anger swell throughout my body. I wanted out of the car and I knew that Jonathon was more than that.
 
“I’ll pretend not to be part of this discussion,” Jeff stated as he started the car. Gavin turned around and I mentally thanked Jeff for stopping them.
 
“We’re late for the dance,” Lacey said, “we’ve already missed half of it.”
 
“It’s a dance,” Jeff said. “You can enter at any time and it’s still just a dance.”
 
“But it’s not the same,” Lacey groaned. “You old people just don’t understand.”
 
“Don’t hyperventilate Lacey, we’ll be ok,” Gavin countered laughing at her. “Only you really care about this sort of thing anyway.”
 
“And who begged me to go so you won’t be alone?” Natalie asked and I turned to look at her. She was looking at Gavin who turned around slowly, his face turning a slight pink.
 
“Uh huh,” Lacey said laughing. “Someone else thinks this dance is important.”
 
“Going alone is worse than missing half of it,” Gavin snorted still embarrassed. “Everyone knows that.”
 
“Kids going to a high school dance alone is nothing,” Jeff said. “You’ll all survive, it’s no big deal.”
 
“Maybe not to you Jeff,” Lacey responded. “You’re too old to understand, and it’s not like they had dances when you were in high school.” Everyone turned to looked at her after she said that. Jeff had glanced at her through the rearview mirror when I turned to wait for his reply. I could tell that he was grinning by the wrinkles that formed at the corners of his eyes.
 
When we arrived, the parking lot of the school was full, so Jeff just let us out and told us when he would be coming to get us. Matt’s Mom did the same to the other car and when we were left we all started walking towards the entrance to the gym. We didn’t have to wait long in line to give the principal our tickets. We also had to be scanned for weapons. It seemed weird that they would do this at our small high school, but when I saw Jonathon sliding his backpack over to be checked by the police the surprise came crashing into my thoughts. I didn’t get to see what was in the bag and when the officer zipped it up Jonathon looked in my direction then shrugged as he slipped it back on and entered the doors.
 
After Lacey and I was checked and cleared we entered into the dark gym. There were paper streamers and balloons everywhere as well as a rubber carpet laid on the gym floor to keep people from scuffing it. The music was rock music, which surprised me. I had expected country music to be blaring and the decorations to fit. The decorations that did look out of place though, was the cardboard artwork in the center of the gym that the streamers all were taped to.
 
“Oh god they used the set from last spring’s play!” Lacey groaned looking at it. “This is so stupid.”
 
“Just don’t look at it,” I offered as I looked around at the tables wanting to find one to sit down; not wanting to dance.
 
“Where are you going?” Lacey asked grabbing my shoulder. I turned around and she grabbed my hands and led me to the dance floor. The song was fast so she started swaying her hips then she turned around and backed up against me. I grunted not expecting her to do that and I had to take a step back to keep from falling. I looked around quickly hoping no one was looking, but my eyes soon settled on Jonathon. He was sitting at the table that I had picked out a few seconds before. He was watching Lacey and I could tell that he was mad and struggling to keep from walking up to her and knocking her out of the way.
 
“I don’t think I can dance,” I stammered leaning in so that she could hear me.
 
“Just move your hips with mine,” she responded. “Come on, you won’t look stupid.”
 
“No one else is dancing this close,” I countered as I started awkwardly moving my hips.
 
“So?” Lacey said as she turned around and took hold of my hands again. She started moving them to her hips and I let them slide over her where she placed them. Then she put her hands on my arms. “Come on move your feet!”
 
“I don’t know how to dance,” I argued. “I’ve not had any lessons.”
 
“Just relax silly,” Lacey ordered laughing at me. My face was hot and I was thankful that it was dark in the gym, as I knew my face was red.
 
I didn’t expect to be bumped into, but when I turned to see who it was, I saw Jonathon dancing with someone I didn’t recognize. Unlike me, he knew how to dance so he kept up with the girl he was with. She had on a fluffy pink dress that seemed to smother the both of them and she was a lot shorter than him. Then when he turned he looked away from her and he flashed me a smile then took her in his arms and he dramatically dipped her.
 
“Oh my I didn’t know Jonathon could dance like that,” Lacey said causing me to turn my attention back to her. “Dip me.”
 
“I might drop you,” I said as I tried the move Jonathon just made look easy. When I didn’t drop her I felt relieved, even though the whole thing felt awkward.
 
It was the slow songs that I liked. It was what Jonathon and I had practiced in my living room. Instead now, I had small hands wrapped around my shoulders. I didn’t step on her feet and the memory of the dance in my living room made me relax as we went through the steps. Lacey had leaned into me so we were barely moving and I looked around and saw a few people watching us dance. There weren’t a lot of couples dancing to the slow dances. It made me realize that people our age weren’t really in serious relationships. Only a few people dated through the summer, most of them were just here with friends. If this dance was held later in the year, there the slow dances would be more popular, but now I hated all the eyes that were scanning the dance floor. I didn’t want people thinking that I was dating Lacey and I hoped she only wanted to be friends with me as well.
 
When the dance was over I felt energized for the first time since all this began. I never wanted to go to another dance, unless it was with Jonathon. I knew nothing like that would happen here, even in my old school I would be too scared. The ride to drop Gavin and Natalie off was quiet, which was a nice change. Lacey had rested against me the whole way and when we were parked in front of Matt’s house I saw that Lacey’s Mom was waiting for her. I watched as Lacey slid out of the car and when I was about to stand she leaned down and kissed me on the cheek then smiled. I didn’t have time to react though because she turned quickly and walked to the car, getting in the back seat.
 
“So it’s finally over,” Jonathon whispered as he stepped up to me. “Ready to walk home?”
 
“Home?” I asked not wanting to end the night now that we were alone.
 
“One of us has to check in so they don’t send a search party and I’d rather it be you,” Jonathon answered. “Especially since I’m supposed to be staying the night with Matt.”
 
“Jonathon!” I hissed as we started down the road. “You need to quit lying before we get caught.”
 
“I think a small fib is worth it,” he countered. “And besides it’s better than telling them I’m gay.” I noticed that he went rigid after saying that and I remembered the last time anything like that happened.
 
“So what’s in the pack?” I asked changing the subject. He smiled and shrugged off the question only taking hold of my hand as we walked. His hand was warm and larger than mine and it felt better than Lacey’s and surprisingly normal. I also wasn’t scared to be noticed in the dark as we walked, like I was in the brightness of the evening. When we got to my house I stopped at the bottom step. Jonathon was going to go on in, but he stopped on the second step and looked at me.
 
“What?” He asked and I looked at the front door.
 
“They’ll make a fuss if we both enter together,” I said. “I’d rather not go through that now.”
 
“Prom senior year then,” Jonathon said. “So go on in and tell them not to wait up for you.”
 
“What do you mean?” I asked looking at the pack and becoming worried about the plan. The discussion I had with Stacey about sex invaded my thoughts.
 
“You won’t be home tonight,” he answered. “Now go or I will.”
 
“I’m going,” I said then hesitated for a moment. Then I walked up the stairs and into the living room. Mom was sitting on the couch reading, but when she saw me she stood.
 
“You’re back,” she said smiling. “How was your night?”
 
“It was fine Mom,” I answered, “I’ll tell you more about it tomorrow, but Jonathon is outside and I’m just telling you not to wait up for me.”
 
“Christian,” Mom said stopping me as I turned to run out the front door. “Where are you two going?”
 
“I don’t know, he won’t tell me,” I answered hoping that she’d still let me go, even if I didn’t know. “It’s a surprise he wants to pull off.”
 
“Do you need a sex talk?” Mom asked studying me.
 
“No!” I shouted wanting to leave. “Mom!”
 
“Well, you two out all night, what am I supposed to think?” She asked when I didn’t answer her she looked around then walked into the kitchen. I was about to ask her if I could go, but when she returned carrying a handful of condoms I started to back slowly to the front door.
 
“I don’t need those,” I said quickly. “Why do you have those?”
 
“I had to go to the health department to make sure your medical files were transferred,” Mom explained, holding out her hand. “And they had them there and you’re going to take them or say goodnight to Jonathon.”
 
“No,” I said. “We’re not going to do anything.”
 
“Christian,” Mom said as she grabbed my hand and placed the condoms in it. I wanted to drop them, but I shoved them into my pants pocket.
 
“There, goodnight.” I said then walked out the front door and past Jonathon who was waiting at the bottom of the stairs. We started walking and I noticed that the plastic wrappers were crackling in my pants. I glanced over at Jonathon when I noticed that he was looking around. He then checked his shoes then glanced in my direction.
 
“Your pants are crackling,” he said. “And they wasn’t before.”
 
“It’s candy,” I lied. “Just some mints.”
 
“Oh, I want one,” Jonathon said and I looked at him then down to my pocket.
 
“You can’t have any,” I stammered quickly. “Where are we going anyway?” We had been heading towards the park, but then Jonathon suddenly cut across a field and now we were standing at the entrance of a forest. The mood was bright and full so it was light enough to see, but the forest was dark and neither of us had a flashlight.
 
“Why can’t I have a mint?” Jonathon asked with a childish whine in his voice.
 
“They’re not mints,” I answered mentally kicking myself for a bad lie to begin with. “Mom wouldn’t let me leave the house without any condoms.”
 
“What?” Jonathon asked and I looked at him. “My god!”
 
“I know,” I responded, but he started laughing and walking through the woods. I followed behind him until we came to a small opening with a large tree. He stopped then and kneeled placing the backpack on the ground. When he pulled out a battery powered lantern he turned it on. It’s when I noticed the swinging ladder leading up the large tree. It looked old, but well kept. I still didn’t think I wanted to climb the ladder, but I realized what he had in mind.
 
“Start climbing I’m right behind you,” Jonathon said as he took hold of the ladder to steady it.
 
“What if I fall?” I ask looking at him.
 
“Then I’ll catch you,” he answered shrugging then he spanked me on the butt. “Now get in gear.”
 
“Ok,” I said as I started slowly up the ladder. It was harder than it looked and the rungs of the rope ladder screeched as I stepped on them. None of them broke though and I was relieved when I reached the top.
 
“Here I come,” Jonathon said as he put the lantern hand around his wrist and started climbing. He made it look easy as I watched him, hoping he didn’t fall. There was only a small platform in the tree, barely large enough for two people to lay on easily.
 
“You built this didn’t you?” I asked when he was sitting next to me. He only nodded and started rummaging through his bag. He pulled out a blanket and two pillows and he stood and smoothed the blanket out on the platform. Then he grabbed the two pillows and placed them towards the trunk of the tree. He laid down on his side and I watched feeling nervous all over again, but it was a feeling that I appreciated. I didn’t feel out of place or awkward, but anxious. I didn’t know what he had planned, but I complied when he patted the open spot beside him. When I was next to him I was on my back and I could see the stars through the breaks in the tree branches and leaves. I could feel his breath on my cheek though and his eyes looking at me.
 
“I’ve been wanting to hold you all night,” he whispered and I turned my head to look at him.
 
“Me too,” I responded and he scooted against me and I turned to face him as his arm wrapped around my waist. Then he kissed me on the lips, it was a quick kiss that relaxed me completely. Then he smiled and closed his eyes and I fell asleep.
 
Copyright © 2011 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..