Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 4,609 Words
  • 4,159 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Are You Christian - 9. Chapter 9

The rest of the day I did homework, it was a slow task, as I couldn’t get tomorrow out of my mind. I didn’t even know what I was going to wear to the dance. I wasn’t a dancer either; I doubt most guys my age were around here. Lacey was making things really difficult for me and I didn’t know how I was going to put a stop to that. It wasn’t like I could move on and pick another girl. I was with Jonathon, a guy. I knew I was gay, but I didn’t think I would find someone and then have the courage to enter into a relationship.
 
After my homework was finished I walked over to my closet and found the two suits I had. I barely had to wear a tuxedo, but mom insisted that I always have a couple for special events. I told Lacey to look for a red dress, only because I had a red tie and vest that would look good with a red dress so I picked the dark black tuxedo and I hung it in a place I could find it tonight and put the other one back in the back of my closet where it was before. This was going to be my first weekend with friends since I moved here. I was hoping to get close to them at the dance, then at the pool Saturday.
 
I walked down stairs to look for Mom, when I found her in the living room reading a book I cleared my throat to get her attention. When she looked up at me she took off her glasses and placed her book down on her lap. She closed it, but still had her thumb keeping her place.
 
“Mom, can I ask you something?” I asked sitting down on the couch.
 
“Sure,” she answered, she was wearing pajamas and she had her hair down. She actually looked like a mother now, instead of a therapist. That made me nervous seeing her like that.
 
“Where’s everyone else?” I asked and Mom laughed at me.
 
“That’s not what you wanted to ask, but your Dad took Grace and Stacey to some track meet,” Mom answered rolling her eyes.
 
“Why didn’t he ask if I wanted to go?” I asked knowing that I was getting off topic from what I wanted to talk about at first.
 
“You had homework,” she answered, “but please, what do you want to talk about really?”
 
“Oh, tomorrow is the dance,” I answered and she straightened up and looked interested in what I had to say.
 
“What about it?” She asked.
 
“I need some money, we’re going to the movies and stuff,” I answered.
 
“Oh, well, hand me my purse,” Mom said and I looked around and saw her purse sitting on the counter. I grabbed it then handed it to her. She opened it then and started rummaging through it.
 
“Also, I need a plan to get Jonathon out of the house on Saturday,” I said as she kept searching for her wallet.
 
“Your father has been snooping around in my purse again, I can always tell,” she said as she pulled out her wallet and then handed me a couple of twenties, which I folded and placed on the table. “Why do you need a plan?”
 
“Well we’re going to the pool on Saturday, and Jonathon can’t go,” I said and she looked thoughtful.
 
“Why not?” She asked sighing. “It’s not because you’re going is it?”
 
“No,” I answered, “it’s because the girls don’t feel comfortable swimming in their bathing suits with their preacher around.”
 
“And Jonathon won’t be able to go unless he’s being chaperoned?” Mom asked finishing the idea.
 
“Yeah,” I said.
 
“Well that’s going to be tough and you know how I hate for people to lie or sneak around,” Mom said and I frowned.
 
“Well he really wants to go and I want to get to know everyone better too,” I said and she smiled moving her leg out from under her. She had looked relaxed, but now I could tell that she was starting to get worried about me all over again.
 
“Then tell Jonathon to tell his father that Gloria will be chaperoning,” Mom said and I looked confused.
 
“What will that do?” I asked and she held up her finger then she looked through the phone book. When she found what she was looking for she dialed the number and I waited.
 
“Hello, is this Chris?” Mom asked and I remembered Chris as Gloria’s husband. “This is Angela Edwards, can I speak with Gloria?”
 
“Mom, I don’t think you should…”
 
“Gloria, I was wondering if you could do me a favor. The kids are wanting to go to the pool and I was wondering if you would chaperone Saturday.”
 
“Mom…” I groaned and she only looked at me.
 
“You will, great, thanks so much,” Mom said ending the conversation with Gloria.
 
“What does this change Mom?” I asked crossing my arms.
 
“Well, it’s the only way Jonathon will be able to go,” Mom said, “the preacher trusts her more.”
 
“Yeah, but then we’ll have Mother Goose hovering over us all day,” I said rolling my eyes and crossing my arms.
 
“Well she will bring along her kids and she will have to watch those two, I doubt she’ll have time to look after you and your friends,” Mom explained and I finally understood the plan.
 
“Oh, you’re good,” I said smiling.
 
“And this way no one is lying” Mom said shrugging and opening her book back to the page she was reading before I interrupted her.
 
“Well I need to shower and get ready for bed,” I said standing and grabbing the money Mom gave me. “Thanks Mom.”
 
“Anytime dear,” she said. I turned and walked out of the living room then up the stairs to my room. I put the money into my wallet I had sitting on my nightstand and I walked across the hall to the bathroom to take my shower. Halfway through the shower I heard that Stacey, Grace, and Dad had returned so I hurried knowing that Stacey would want the bathroom. When I was done I put a towel around my waist and walked out and across the hall to my room. I closed my door and when I was dressing I heard Stacey enter the bathroom. It was late and I put on my boxer briefs then got into bed and went to sleep.
 
The next morning I woke up to my alarm ringing in my ear. I sat up rubbing my eyes not wanting to fight Stacey for the bathroom this morning I just leaned back against the headboard. I heard her enter the bathroom seconds later anyway we definitely needed two bathrooms up here. I looked over to find that my tuxedo had been removed from the room so I stood and put on a pair of shorts before walking down stairs.
 
“Mom?” I asked after not seeing anyone in the living room.
 
“Yes?” She said walking into the kitchen to where she could see me. She was already dressed for work, but she was brushing her hair.
 
“Where is my tuxedo for tonight?” I asked crossing my arms. The air was finally working so it was chilly without a shirt on.
 
“Oh, I’m sending it off to get dry cleaned,” she said smiling.
 
“Won’t that take a long time?” I asked not liking the idea of showing up for the dance at Matt’s house dressed in jeans.
 
“Maybe if this was a small town, but really, I called and the owner said he could have it done by noon if I get it there soon,” she said as she started brushing the other side of her hair.
 
“Oh,” I said, “thanks.”
 
“You’re welcome, but you better hurry Stacey up you’re behind again this morning,” she said then she turned and walked back into her room. I looked over to see Grace looking up at me from her playpen. She was just now starting to pull herself up and her bright brown eyes were peeping over the top of the railing.
 
“Look at you, you don’t have to rush at all,” I said as I walked over and rubbed the top of her head before turning and walking up the stairs. Stacey was still in the bathroom, but the shower wasn’t running. I knocked on the door and it opened and she stepped out completely dressed.
 
“Good morning,” she said smiling and stepping past me to walk to her room.
 
“You’re in a good mood,” I said crossing my arms.
 
“The dance is tonight,” she said smiling at me, “it’s going to kick ass.”
 
“If you say so,” I said stepping into the bathroom closing the door behind me. It must be a girl thing. The dance didn’t excite me at all I was dreading it. If I was going with Jonathon I wouldn’t even enjoy it. Going with Lacey though scared the hell out of me as well. What if she wanted things from me that I knew I couldn’t give her? I took a quick shower knowing I didn’t have that much time before the bus ran. I didn’t worry about my hair either, there would be plenty of time to style it later. The only thing I wanted to do tonight was make this night as good for Jonathon as possible. He wasn’t allowed to date so he also couldn’t take a girl to the dance. He wasn’t even asked by anyone. Everyone knew about his Dad and I felt sorry for him. He wasn’t allowed to experience things other people did his age and that made him stand out in a bad way.
 
“Ready?” Stacey asked when I joined her in the living room.
 
“Yes,” I said and she stood from the couch where she was sitting and we walked out the door to wait for the bus.
 
“So what are your plans?” Stacey asked while we walked down the stairs onto the sidewalk.
 
“For the dance?” I asked.
 
“No, for the rest of your life,” she said nudging me with her elbow, “yes, for the dance.”
 
“Food, movie, dance,” I said, “what are you doing?”
 
“Adam and I aren’t doing anything before the dance,” she said winking at me.
 
“I don’t think I want you to tell me what you’re doing after either,” I said crossing my arms. I didn’t like the idea of her and Adam having sex. It hadn’t really crossed her mind when we were in Maryland. Maybe she had a thing for southern boys and there wasn’t much else to do. Even I found someone to be close to, but she was still my sister.
 
“Ok then, I won’t, but don’t wait up,” she said, “and don’t be coming home early either make this night special for Jonathon.”
 
“How?” I asked wanting advice from her, but I didn’t really think she was the best person to ask.
 
“Only you know that,” she said offering me a smile.
 
“I am not going to have sex with him,” I said crossing my arms trying not to smile at the thought of Jonathon and I having sex. It’s something I’m just not ready for and every time someone mentions the word it causes my face to get hot.
 
“Take him for a walk, it’s supposed to be warm and clear tonight, do something,” she said putting her arm around me.
 
“It’s going to suck tonight,” I said, “probably worse than moving here in the first damn place.”
 
“Why?” Stacey asked starting to look concerned.
 
“Because Jonathon and I can’t be out,” I said sighing, “and I’m taking Lacey.”
 
“I know this isn’t gonna be easy kid,” she said holding me closer, “but Mom, Dad, and I will help you.”
 
“Or drive me crazy,” I said causing her to laugh.
 
“Everything is possible,” she said then she let go of me as we heard the bus approaching.
 
“I doubt I’ll be able to pull off anything special,” I said just as the bus came to a stop and we took a step closer. When the doors opened we stepped on the bus and walked to our normal seat. We noticed that the people were creatures of habit here, people tended to sit at the same seats on the bus.
 
“Do you have your license yet Stacey?” Jonathon asked as soon as we sat down at the table.
 
“No and if I did it wouldn’t matter,” she said turning around in the seat to look at them, “I’m not hauling you guys anywhere.”
 
“Well I guess Matt’s dad will take us everywhere then,” Jonathon said shrugging.
 
“Guess so,” she said turning back around.
 
“Do you remember the plans for tonight?” Matt asked, as I was about to turn around to face the front of the bus. The rides were short and we could always talk once we got to school.
 
“Yeah, after I get dressed and ready walk with Jonathon to your house,” I said and he nodded.
 
“What movie kind of movie do you want to watch?” Matt asked and I didn’t know really.
 
“Something funny, if it’s a chick flick the girls will get ideas and if it’s scary they’ll be all over us,” I said and it caused everyone who heard my answer laugh so I turned back around to keep from being embarrassed.
 
“Well said,” Stacey whispered leaning in closer so that I could hear her.
 
“Thanks,” I said rolling my eyes, “like you’ve not said anything stupid.”
 
“No, but you did today,” she said, “so there.”
 
The bus came to as top then and everyone stood to exit it. There was also a different feel around the school. Everyone was talking about the dance and the school had been decorated with flyers of different colors inviting everyone to the dance. Reminding them of the rules and to buy the tickets during lunch. Kate, Gavin, and Lacey joined us as we walked from the bus and into the school.
 
“I’m so excited!” Lacey said grabbing my hand. I looked down at it and I noticed that Jonathon hadn’t missed it either.
 
“Lacey they have this dance every year,” Kate said, “you’re treating it as if it’s prom.”
 
“Oh, you have to go with me to prom too Christian,” Lacey said her light blue eyes getting large and her smile widened. It’s when I noticed just how beautiful this girl really is. It made me feel like shit knowing that I was lying to her and that I couldn’t do anything about it. I was too scared and I was going to hurt her one of these days. Her smile would be something a person wouldn’t soon forget though. She just needed to find someone that could love it.
 
“We’ll see,” I said as we entered the lunchroom. Jonathon elbowed me after I said it and I looked up at him to see him shaking his head at me. I had yet to say hello to him because we hadn’t been able to step away and talk.
 
“Lacey you’re too hyper too early in the damn morning,” Gavin said as he walked past us to sit down.
 
“Some people shouldn’t stay up all night talking dirty to their girlfriend,” Lacey said sticking out her tongue.
 
“How the hell did you know I did that?” Gavin asked crossing his arms.
 
“I didn’t, but, yeah, eew,” she said shaking her head. Everyone laughed as Gavin looked away his face turning a dark shade of red. It was the first time I saw him different from all the assholes I’ve met.
 
“You pervert, I didn’t know Natalie was like that,” Kate said. We all took our seats to wait for the dismissal bell to ring sending us off to our first class.
 
“We’ve only done it a few times,” he said in a low voice.
 
“Are you good at it?” Lacey asked letting go of my hand. I thought she was moving on, but she turned to look at me and smiled.
 
“I’m not telling you that,” he said shaking his head, “even if you’d want to know.”
 
“Well let’s talk about tonight while we have a few minutes,” Matt said getting everyone’s attention, “now we need a van because we’re not all going to fit into my Dad’s truck.”
 
“Why can’t we rent a limo?” Lacey asked and I felt Jonathon’s knee rub against mine.
 
“Because this isn’t anything special Lacey,” he said, “the dance isn’t even three hours long.”
 
“Fine, but I heard that Gabrielle Martin was renting a limo for her and her friends,” she said leaning back in her chair.
 
“So that’s her,” he said shrugging, “does anyone own a van?”
 
“I do,” I said not really thinking it was a big deal, but when Jonathon nudged my knee I looked up to see him frowning, “but uh, Mom wouldn’t let anyone borrow it.”
 
“Why?” Matt asked and I looked to see him studying me.
 
“Because, she has trust issues,” I said trying to sound honest.
 
“Then I guess we’re just going to have to take two cars,” Matt said, but he didn’t sound too satisfied with the idea. I was starting to see that Matt was a perfectionist. He had a vision and wanted everything to fall into its place. When it didn’t it bothered him.
 
“We’ll work something out,” Kate said just before the bell rang. Everyone stood and separated into the directions of their classes. When Matt was walking ahead of us Jonathon grabbed my shoulder to slow me down.
 
“What?” I asked when he stepped up beside me.
 
“Good morning,” he said offering me a smile.
 
“Good morning,” I said.
 
“I’ll be glad when this dance is over,” he said nudging me with his shoulder. It caused me to take a step away from him and almost into a trashcan. When I looked at him he was chewing on his bottom lip to keep from laughing failing when I glared at him.
 
“Why would you be glad when all this is over?” I asked, “think Lacey will steal me away?”
 
“Shh,” he said looking around to see if anyone had heard me. “You know why.”
 
“Yeah,” I said as we walked into English. The tardy bell was about to ring and Matt was watching us when we walked to our seats. Mrs. Hansk the English teacher took attendance then started the tape. I opened the book to where the tape started narrating frowning after I realized that we were already more than halfway through the book and I hadn’t listened at all.
 
“I need to go to the library so that I know what this book is all about,” Matt whispered.
 
“Me too,” I said closing the book. There was no reason to start listening now.
 
“I’ll be watchin the movie a day before the test,” Jonathon said leaning forward and resting his head on his arms.
 
“Boys, be quiet,” Mrs. Hansk said causing me to turn and open the book again. Not five minutes later though I could hear Jonathon quietly snoring behind me. I reached behind me and I smacked him on the shoulder. It caused Jonathon to sit straight up quickly, but then he lost his balance and I heard a large crash behind me when he hit the floor taking the desk with him.
 
“I’m sorry, this desk is a little tricky,” he said fumbling to get it back upright. I was expecting Mrs. Hansk to send him to detention, but she just turned back to her book to follow along with everyone else after the laughing stopped. I glanced over my shoulder chewing on my cheek to keep from laughing. His face was a dark red and he was staring at me. I knew I was going to get paid back for it later.
 
“I’m sorry,” I whispered.
 
“You will be,” he said leaning forward and winking at me, “oh you will be for sure.”
 
“Fine,” I said, “it was worth it.” He laid his head back on his desk, but this time I felt his hand rubbing me left side right beside my nipple. It was a light touch with his finger and it made my heart to jump into my throat. It sent chills down my body and I could feel a stirring in my pants. I got used to the touch after awhile though and I found myself unable to stop smiling knowing that it was his way of showing me he liked me. The bell rang surprising me. Mrs. Hansk turned off the tape and dismissed us to our next class.
 
We still had assigned seats when we entered Mr. Prestmoore’s class, but Jonathon had been moved back a seat so that the girl behind him could actually see the board. It still didn’t suit Jonathon though since he was still well away from Matt and I and still in the front of the room right where Mr. Prestmoore could keep an eye on him. His class was a lot more boring now and Government made the class drag on. Everyone in the class looked to be zombies. Some of them were sending text messages to people on their cell phones under the desk. The person beside me was drawing on their notebook. He was thin and had red hair. When he noticed me watching him draw he frowned so I turned to look out the window. I needed to think about my plans tonight. I wasn’t romantic and I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to be with Jonathon. He didn’t seem like the type to lie down on a couch together and watch a movie. He seemed like the type to play tackle football shirtless on a beach during a bright orange sun set. Both of them could be equally romantic, but I didn’t know what it took to make Jonathon feel special and it was really starting to frustrate me.
 
The bell ending class caused me to jump. I put my pen and notebook back into my bag. I didn’t use them again today and I knew I would have to borrow my notes from Matt later. I knew Jonathon wasn’t taking notes either.
 
“Prestmoore sucks,” Jonathon said after we left his class.
 
“You know you caused it all right?” Matt asked walking beside the two of us as we headed for Mrs. Hoppes to check in before lunch. Jonathon left us when we entered the room, when she checked off our names Matt and I left the room and joined him in the hall.
 
“Yes, I know I caused it all, but he didn’t have to put me in the front of the room,” he said as we started walking up the hall again. There was still an air of excitement in the hall and I was wondering how big this dance actually was. Lacey thought it was a big thing, but Matt didn’t. It was the first social event of the school since the sports games didn’t start up until the beginning of September. Jonathon will be practicing football after school then and I’ll be left to myself in the afternoon.
 
“That’s where all the problem kids normally go though and your dog shouldn’t have shit on his lawn,” I said causing him to laugh.
 
“If only I owned a cow,” he said laughing at himself. We went through the lunch line, I was well adjusted to everything.
 
“Do you want to buy tickets to the dance?” The cashier asked Matt who was standing in front of me.
 
“Yeah, two,” he said handing her the money.
 
“Damn,” I said, “I don’t know if Lacey wanted me to buy her ticket.”
 
“Better safe than sorry,” Jonathon said, “if I had my way though I’d tell you not to.”
 
“Do you want to buy some tickets?” The cashier asked me after Matt had left to go sit at out table.
 
“Yeah, two,” I said handing her the money. She handed me the tickets with my change and I left feeling bad that the ticket wasn’t for Jonathon.
 
When everyone was at the table with their food we all sat in our usual spots. Matt gave Kate her ticket and she kissed him on the cheek. Everyone watched them and then I turned to Lacey trying to figure out what she expected after I handed her the ticket I had bought her.
 
“Here’s your ticket,” she said surprising me.
 
“I bought your ticket though,” I said revealing the ticket I had bought for her.
 
“Awe, that’s so cute,” she said giving me the same smile she did this morning.
 
“Does anyone need a ticket?” I asked holding it up in front of me.
 
“I do,” Jonathon said causing me to look at him. He frowned briefly then reached for the ticket.
 
“No, take mine,” Lacey said, “I want the one Christian bought for me.”
 
“Nah, keep your ticket,” Jonathon said taking hold of the ticket I had in my hand.
 
“Jonathon,” she said, “drop the ticket.”
 
“Guys, it’s not a big deal,” Matt said, “it’s to the same place.”
 
“Yes, but I’m Christian’s date and he bought it for me,” Lacey said glaring at Jonathon who wouldn’t let go of the ticket. I let the ticket slip from my hand not wanting the fight to continue.
 
“Thank you, I forgot my money at home,” Jonathon said and I heard Lacey let out a breath. When I turned to look at her again she was shooting a look at Jonathon that probably would have scared the hell out of anyone else. Jonathon though just shrugged and put it into his wallet and I was secretly glad that he got the ticket.
 
The rest of the day was boring. Math and Geography I shared with Kate and Matt who kept the conversation mostly between them. I knew they considered me a friend and I understood that they dated. I was also ok with them talking to one another. It was one of the only times people could talk. We were too young to drive and we still had too many restrictions put on us from our parents. When the last bell rang Matt reminded me of the plans and I left. This time Jonathon wasn’t waiting for me when I left the room. We wouldn’t be heading off to play hockey and when I saw him on the bus he didn’t have a note signed by Kate. We were starting to get ready for the dance and I was starting to get nervous.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Copyright © 2011 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..