Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 1,275 Words
  • 2,000 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life's Unexpected Surprises - 2. Chapter 1.2 - Hunter Brooks Act 1 - Troubled Waters

Hunter is a kid with a heart of gold. That heart has gotten him into trouble more than once. Hunter might have gone one to far this time though.

“Mrs. Miles-Brooks, Hunter has gotten into another fight...” My principle told my mom. It was true, though... and I kinda started it.

See I get really offended when someone uses gay slang negatively. My friends Kyle and Even get made fun of cause of their dads all the time. I just get so angry when they get made fun of that I start fights... I know it's bad.

Oh, my name is Hunter Brooks. I'm 14 years old with short dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. I'm not overweight, but I'm not skinny either. That being said, I have a blue belt in karate. I would have a higher belt, but you know... starting fights and stuff.

Mom shook her head; I sat there ashamed. “What does that mean for Hunter? I know he's been in quite a few fights, so what's the punishment now?”

The principle sighed. “Sadly, since we have so many fights attached to Hunter's name, there isn't much of a choice here. The only thing I can do is expel him.”

I felt my entire body go numb. At that moment there was no mistaking it; mom was disappointed in me for sure. Before I wasn't looking at anyone, now my head is hanging the lowest it could. It felt like I could cry.

“There's nothing you can do for Hunter?” Mom tried to reason with him. There's nothing we can do, though. I have a pretty big record of fights. “Please, look at him; you can clearly see he feels bad about this.”

I bit the inside of my lip. “I'm sorry Ma'am, but we have a dozen fights where Hunter has admitted to starting. We have a total of almost thirty fights that Hunter has been a part of. Honestly, I've pulled as much as I can; my hands are tied on this one.

“Hunter picked a fight with the head of the Parent Council and is insisting on this. Even if we try, I don't see it going very far. I'm sorry Mrs. Miles-Brooks, but this is Hunter's last leg at this school.”

I got up leaving my mom in the principal’s office. I walked directly out of the school and sat under the tree by the teacher's parking lot. Sitting there alone I let it all out; I just cried kicking and punching the ground.

It was enough that mom was disappointing in me about fighting, but now... Now I'm being expelled because the head of the Parent Council's son is a bigot. Yes, I started the physical altercation, but he's the one who made fun of Kyle and Even. And it's 2026 for goodness sake!

Kyle and Even are special kids, for more than one reason. First, they are twins. They look similar, but you can tell them apart by how they stand. Even is always hunched and looking at the ground; Kyle is always upbeat and smiley.

Second, they're adopted by two dads. They have gay parents, and that's normal nowadays, more than it was ten years ago even, for two men or women to have families together. So why are they made fun of because of that?

Third, their dads were legally brothers at one point. One of their dads was adopted into the others family, and they fell in love. With support from their parents right before Wyatt, their dad turned 18 they unadopted him legally. That way there was nothing to get in the way for him and Talon, their other dad, being together legally.

So as you can see, they are extra special in their own way.

That's why when punk kids decided they want to make fun of them I stand up for them. They are some of my best friends if I don’t, who will? Making fun of them is making fun of me and my being gay. No one should be allowed to do that.

I must have been outside for close to an hour before my mom came out of the school with my backpack in her hand. She had her cell phone to her ear. “I know, it wasn't fair for me to do this, and I don't expect you to do anything. I have to come up there in a couple of days; I'll pay for dinner, can we talk about it more then?” Who is mom talking to? “Okay, thank you. Again I'm sorry. See you then.”

She hung up the phone and put it in her pocket. “Who was that?” I weakly asked her.

Mom sighed. “You're father.”

“Dad is at work; you were talking about how you're heading to your hometown...” Why is she lying to me so bluntly? Like that wasn't even a good attempt to lie.

She shook her head. “No, your biological father, not Jayce.” Why is she talking to the man who hasn't been in my life at all? Mom must have noticed my anger. “Don't blame him for not being in your life; it's my fault. When I got pregnant with you, I chose not to tell him. He wasn't here at all because of me and he's a little angry about it right now.”

“He's got a decent reason to be at least,” I mumbled under my breath. Mom shot me a dirty look. “Sorry...”

“Get up; we're heading home.” I did as she commanded. “You've been expelled from the school for partaking in so many fights and starting most of them. If it's possible, you will not be going to the alternative school. That is why I called Lucas, your father.”

Oh... so that means I would be moving in with him then? “So you're shipping me away?”

Mom stopped in her tracks. “No. I want you to understand something Hunter; I love you with all my heart, and I understand why you do what you do. I truly do. Fighting is not the answer, though, and you know that.

“I have done everything I can think of to get that through to you. No matter how hard I try, it seems that whatever we try it isn't working. So do not think I am giving up on you and shipping you off.

Mom was trying her best to keep the tears back; it wasn't really working. “I feel like your father is your best chance right now. Clearly I am not able to sway you from violence. It pains me to think I've failed as a mother...”

“You haven't failed as a mom!” I tried to comfort her. Right now, though, I don't think it will work. “You're the best mom ever.” I wrapped my arms around her as tightly as I could.

My head pressed right up against her back; I could hear the smile in her voice. “Hunter, do you want to meet your biological father?” I nodded into her back. “Then, for now, you'll head there for the summer... And we'll see how things are in the middle of August, okay?”

“Okay, mom.” I let go of her. She's really trying to be a mom and do what's best for me. I just wish I could be my best for her. “What's dad like?”

She laughed. “Well, I haven't seen him in 14 years, but he was pretty much you.”

“Like how much like me? Kinda sporty, kinda nerdy, sorta into everything?” Tell me about him more!!!

She nodded as I asked my questions. “A little pudgy quite confident boy with a heart of gold.” Thanks, mom... calling me pudgy. “And he's gay.”

“Wait... what?” Mom scored with a gay guy? How the hell did that happen?

Chapter End.

Chapter 1.3 will have Elijah Holmes, a new comer to the LE series.
More on him soon!
Copyright © 2017 kuragari129; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..