Jump to content
    LieLocks
  • Author
  • 3,416 Words
  • 2,683 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Necromancer Legacy - 6. A vulnerable position

When Nick got back from work Shane urged him to his bedroom because apparently Nick just had to watch some video. According to Shane it was hilarious.

“Not another My Little Pony parody, please, Shane…”

“But this one is so funny! You’ll like it, I promise! You need to laugh, seriously. You’ve been looking so depressed ever since that food poisoning thing you had.”

Shane had multi-colored pillows on his bed and also a giant Fluttershy plushie worth several hundred dollars—and yes, Nick knew their names, unfortunately.

There was a pony on Shane’s mouse pad too. They were everywhere.

The parody didn’t make Nick laugh.

“Oh, come on!” Shane seemed rather disappointed.

Nick was tired. He wanted to change out of his skinny jeans—the uncomfortable bastards. And he had a little bag full of new studs for his piercings and he wanted to go try them on.

“I’ve got better things to do…”

“Okay, wait!” Shane raised a hand excitedly, and then he selected another youtube video. “You have to watch this one.”

Nick’s cell buzzed and he grabbed it. “Sorry,” he said, “got to take this.”

Saved.

By Gabriel.

“Hey, what’s up?” Nick said in the phone.

Nick went to his bedroom, shrugged off his jacket and kicked the door closed. Then he fell on his bed. The pale gray bedspread was soft and inviting. He closed his eyes for a moment.

He heard Gabriel sigh in the phone. “I’m really worried about Sasha.”

Nick felt his chest tighten.

“Is he okay?”

“I think so. He goes to school, and he goes to work, and he eats properly and everything. But he always looks so depressed. I’ve never seen him like this before. After… you know…”

Nick encouraged him. “Yeah?”

He had already answered all of Gabriel’s questions at the best of his abilities. And now, three days after the whole incident, Nick kind of just wanted to forget all about it. But if Gabriel had more questions, he would do his best to answer them again… Even though Nick didn’t understand any of it himself.

“You said… The reaper said there might be side effects?”

“Yeah.”

“So maybe this is it. He’s just so depressed all the time. And sometimes he looks so scared. And anxious. Even his colleague from the coffee shop called to ask me what was going on. If someone had died, or something. Well, his parents already died, but I don’t think that’s what’s going on. We’re both still having trouble dealing with their death, but Sasha’s always been really strong before. Now he just—”

“I’ll fix this,” Nick said.

“You will?” Gabriel sounded so relieved.

Nick let his hand fall in his hair. He had no idea how to fix it, but he had to.

Sasha’s words kept haunting him ever since that night: I came here to save you. But then…

“Yeah. It’s gonna be okay. I’ll figure it out.”

“Just don’t do anything too crazy, or dangerous, okay? Those powers you have—I never used them.”

“I know.”

Gabriel hesitated, then: “I don’t even… I mean, I had it inside me, but it was like… You know how they say there’s a part of our brain we never use? Well it was like that.”

“I get it.”

“Don’t use it, if you don’t have to…”

“I won’t.”

“Nick… thank you.”

Why was he thanking him? Saturday night had been a disaster because of him.

Just hearing Gabriel saying something like that, Nick could tell how much he loved Sasha, and how much he worried about him. Nick felt like a fist was closing in on his heart, crushing it slowly.

Don’t use it, if you don’t have to, Gabriel had said.

But to save Sasha… To save Sasha, Gabriel would want him to do anything, of course. To go to any lengths possible.

Nick looked up at one of the quotes on his wall, the Oscar Wilde quote Shane had read the other day. There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.

What if you got it, but then realized it was never going to be yours anyway? Not really.

If someone had told Nick a while back that he would meet his brother soon, he would have been filled with joy. But now, with Gabriel, they weren’t a family, were they? Sasha and Gabriel were a family. Nick was just an outsider, messing things up.

“Gabriel… you know, I never meant to…”

But Gabriel had already hung up. Of course he had. Nick was talking to himself. Great.

He threw his phone away.

“Cyan,” he said out loud, staring at the white shade ceiling lamp.

Nick leaped to his feet and sauntered over to the window. Brushing aside his translucent gray curtains, he leaned his head against the window frame.

“How do I reach that idiot, anyway?”

Talking to himself again.

He opened the window completely. The chilly night wind made him shiver.

“Cyan?”

He felt really silly. His apartment was on the third floor, but still, what if someone saw him—or rather heard him? Oh God. In fact, there was someone looking from the sidewalk.

Never mind me. I’m just some lunatic. Carry on with your life now.

As though hearing his thoughts, the person resumed walking their dog.

“Cyan you asshole reaper. I need your help you jerk so get your ass over here this instant.”

He had nothing to lose, so, might as well blow off some steam.

Well.

It worked.

Cyan was now stepping onto the window ledge. It appeared as though he had climbed up here, but Nick knew that wasn’t the case. He had just, well, appeared, somehow. Nick moved to the side, making way for him.

“Hello, Nicky.”

“Don’t call me that.”

Nick watched as Cyan slid his svelte body through the window. He had his hood on, and this time he also carried a massive scythe, which he dragged along with him inside Nick’s bedroom, not without difficulty.

“Hey,” Nick said, “watch the plant.”

He cringed as the scythe almost flung the snake plant to the floor. Nick caught it and put it back on the windowsill. He eyed Cyan’s get-up.

“A little early for Halloween.”

“I’m an actual reaper, you know, whether you believe me or not.” Cyan was dusting himself off. “And I was just out doing quite… reapery things, too. See? I was busy. But I came when you called. Because we’re partners.” He winked.

“We’re not partners. Quite reapery things? What the fuck does that mean?”

“Well, you know, this and that.”

He took off his hood and went to rest the scythe in one corner of Nick’s room. It was all silver and black, and it almost reached the ceiling. It added a rather gloomy touch to the décor; Nick should get one.

Cyan sat on the bed, resting his hands on his thighs. Nick noticed he still wore those fingerless gloves and that black nail polish. Why nail polish?

“Like, earlier, just before I came here, I decided to kill a bloke,” Cyan said casually. “He was the worst. He had raped two girls last week, you know. And them cops weren’t getting the bastard. So I thought I’d kill him. That’s why I’m all geared up.” He smiled proudly. A strand of blond hair fell in his eye.

“You killed someone.”

Nick arched an eyebrow. He had his arms crossed against his chest, still leaning against the window frame. The curtain had fallen back into place, veiling the night sky.

“Yes! I’m really pleased with that decision. I don’t do that too often, you know. Some reapers—not to start naming people, but—my mate Lucas, for instance. Well, we’re not mates anymore, we hate each other actually, but that’s not the point.” He waved it off with a hand. “The point is, some reapers get over excited. It gets to their heads and they think they’ve got all the rights. You should really appreciate me more, Nicky. You could’ve gotten stuck with Lucas; I know you don’t know him, but he’s a wanker, trust me on this. I’m not like that, you know. I let fate unfold as it does, which is pretty much haphazardly.”

“Nice vocabulary.”

“I try,” he smiled. “As I was saying, I don’t intervene too often. But today… today I felt I had to. That bloke was simply… the worst.”

“You’ve mentioned that, yes.”

“And now he’s in Hell. You know, his worst fear was fire. So unoriginal.” Cyan gave a dismissive laugh.

Nick stared. “Didn’t you say that was your worst fear, too?”

“Huh. So you do listen when I talk.”

“Good point; I should really stop doing that.”

Cyan cleared his throat. “Look, Nicky. I’m glad you called for me. We need to talk.”

“First of all, stop calling me that.”

“What, Nicky? It’s your nickname.”

“No it’s not. No one else calls me that.”

Cyan smiled. “I feel privileged!”

“What’s up with your name, anyway? Cyan? That’s not even a name. That’s a color.”

“It’s not my real name,” Cyan admitted, “but a long time ago, the person I loved gave me that nickname, because of my pretty blue eyes.”

“Great story. I’m captivated.”

“I do have that effect on people!”

Sarcasm, Cyan.”

He ignored that. “Anyway, where were we? Right. These days, every good reaper has a partner, and so I need you—”

“No. You need to shut up about all your reaper stuff. Just answer one question. Just one. How do I help Sasha?”

“What’s wrong with him?” Cyan tilted his head.

“He’s… not feeling well. Anxious, depressed… It’s those side effects you talked about, no?”

“I shouldn’t think so. It’s probably just that time of the month, you know.”

“How old are you, twelve?”

“No I’m serious! Well, not the girls menstruating thing, obviously.” Cyan gestured with a hand as he explained: “Were-creatures have those cycles, right. Lunar cycles. It’s easier—even obligatory, in some cases—for them to transform on the full moon and the night before and after. And they usually feel pretty great around that time. Then, two weeks later or so, they don’t feel so great no more, and—”

“Were-creatures?”

“You mean he did not tell you?” Cyan asked.

“Tell me what?” Nick shivered, and turned around so he could close the window.

“He’s a werefox.”

Nick’s movements stopped. “A what?”

“A werefox.” Cyan spoke very slowly. “W-E-R-E-F-O-X. Well,” he added when Nick just stared, “they prefer the term fox spirit. Like, if you want to be on his good side, don’t go calling him a werefox. They don’t like the term. They don’t get along well with werewolves. So just say fox spirit. They are pretty rare. But I know Sasha is one.”

“Werewolves exist.”

“Precisely.”

“You’re joking.”

“No, I’m not, mate,” said Cyan.

“So, what, you’re going to tell me vampires exist, too?”

“No,” Cyan shook his head, “no, they don’t.”

“Okay. Good. That’s good. No vampires. Um. Let’s focus here. How do I help Sasha, whatever the—whatever he is? How do I fix the side effects?”

“You don’t.” Cyan shrugged. “They’ll just fade eventually.”

Nick remembered Gabriel’s urgent tone on the phone.

“I need to make him feel better now. Any suggestions? Come on help me out here.”

Cyan’s eyes glinted. “You should ask him out on a date!”

“Great idea. And I’ll buy him roses and a diamond necklace.”

“Is that sarcasm again?”

Nick let himself crawl to the floor, hugged his knees, and hid his face in his arms.

“I hate you,” he told Cyan.

“All right, look. Sasha doesn’t have the side effects I spoke of,” Cyan said. “Nothing serious, anyway, from what you’ve told me. Some people are scarred afterwards, and they can’t even function in their normal lives anymore. People aren’t supposed to go to Hell before dying, anyway. But it happens sometimes, with witches or other supernatural creatures. Sasha might be having nightmares, or he might feel a bit anxious, but he’ll be all right. I’m sure of it. I do have an idea if you want to make him feel better right now, though.”

Nick’s ears pricked. “What is it?”

Cyan rose from the bed, smoothing his long hair over one shoulder. The pale strands clashed with the pure black of his outfit. Cyan stepped closer to the wall, reading one of the quotes.

“There is no hell and all the devils are here.” Cyan smiled. “I like it.”

“Guess I should take that one down,” Nick replied.

“Nah,” Cyan said, “you should leave it.”

“So about that idea…?”

Cyan turned around, staring at Nick from across the room.

“Before I tell you my idea, you have to promise me something. If it works—if Sasha feels better after—you have to listen to me and help me.”

“What do you even need my help for?”

“I want you to be my partner.”

“Your partner for what?”

Cyan spread his arms. “For looking after my city, of course.”

“Your city?”

“I’m New York City’s reaper,” he said. Then his eyes darkened. “But I have enemies.”

Nick threw his head back against the wall with a thump.

“You know what? Fine. I don’t even care.” Cyan’s idea was probably stupid, anyway. “Sure, I’ll help you. I’ll be your partner.” Whatever that meant.

“Brilliant!” Cyan beamed. “All right, listen up. You have to put yourself in a vulnerable position.”

“Huh?”

“Sasha feels humiliated. He feels like he lost to you.”

Nick leaned his elbows against his knees. “What are you talking about?”

Pale blue eyes studied him for a moment. “Think. You were both in Hell. You faced your worst fears. You got out of yours by yourself—well, I helped you, but he doesn’t know that, does he? And Sasha needed your help to get down from that tree. He’s just embarrassed. He’s seventeen years old.” Cyan shrugged. “His pride is hurt. How would you feel if the situation was reversed?”

Nick raked a hand through his hair.

“I have been in vulnerable situations, though. Sasha seduced me at that club. He even acted all sweet in the cab; maybe he thinks I don’t remember, but I do. And then he made it pretty clear that had all been just an act. Gabriel doesn’t even know about that stuff! Sasha totally got away with it, that little bastard. Didn’t he? That wasn’t cool at all.” Nick sighed. “And I almost died that night. How much more vulnerable do I have to be? I even passed out in his bathroom on Saturday. That was your fault, by the way.”

Cyan raised his hands in surrender. “All right, all right. I see your point. No one’s asking you to pass out, or be seduced, or die. I said I had an idea. I think you should ask him to teach you how to swim.”

“I know how to fucking swim.”

“You’re angry. Stop being angry.”

Nick took a deep breath. “I mean, I might not be the best swimmer, but… Okay. It might be true that I don’t know how to swim properly, but that’s only because I was never interested in learning. The foster parents I had before Shane’s parents were assholes, to tell you the truth, and they forced me to take some class, and I didn’t want to. And then I almost drowned, because that blood, those visions, all that stuff. Happened. It was one of the first times. It didn’t happen for a while after that, and that’s why I stayed away from water. I mean, it was only logical. Why am I telling you all this?”

“I don’t know. You shouldn’t tell me. You should tell Sasha.”

“Sasha doesn’t care.”

But Nick took out his phone. He did have Sasha’s number. Gabriel had given it to him as an emergency contact on Saturday night, after everything. Nick just hadn’t thought he’d ever use it. Ever.

“It’s worth a shot. What have you got to lose? Come on,” Cyan said as Nick hesitated, “I’ve been around a lot longer than you have. I know about those things.”

“What things?”

“Just… people. I’m good at figuring people out. I know Sasha’s passionate about swimming. About teaching it, too… I know he won’t say no to you.”

“How do you even know so much about him?”

“I have my ways.” Cyan winked, and pointed toward the ceiling. “There’s a lot you can observe from up there. And supernatural creatures are always the most interesting to watch.”

“Don’t you have better things to do than to watch people living their lives?”

“Not really, no. I’m dead.”

“Right.”

“Just call him. Now. Do it. Let me know how it goes. And remember we have a deal. If this works out, and he feels much better afterwards, you help me.”

“A deal’s a deal,” Nick conceded. “But there’s no way this is gonna work.”

“Call him,” Cyan insisted. “Tell him I said hi.”

“As soon as you leave. I can’t stop you from spying on me, but at least go do it somewhere else and give me the illusion of privacy.”

Cyan gave a military salute. Then Nick blinked a few times as he felt there was something prickling his eyes, like smoke in the air.

And of course now Cyan was gone.

Being dead seemed pretty convenient; seemed faster to get around, anyway.

Nick called Sasha.

“Gay douchebag. Great.”

“Do you always answer the phone like that?”

“Only when it’s you calling.”

“Lucky me.”

“You’re lucky I even picked up the phone.”

“I’d like to talk to you. In person.”

“Why?”

“Oh, you know. You’re so damn charming on the phone; I just can’t help but wonder what it would be like in person.”

“Hilarious, Nick. Really.”

“I need to ask you something.”

“Can’t you ask me over the phone? Or just text me, like normal people do. I don’t really like talking on the phone. I like texting better. I’m hanging up.”

“Wait! Damn it, Sasha. Wait. I wanted to ask you if you could teach me how to swim.”

“You don’t know how to swim.”

Was he mocking him?

“Oh right,” Sasha added, “because you’re afraid.”

Yeah. He was mocking him.

“Well you’re not really one to judge.”

Oh, shit. He shouldn’t have said that. But Sasha was so… so… ugh. Still. He shouldn’t have said that. Now Sasha would definitely hang up.

Well, it wasn’t all bad. At least that would mean Cyan had been wrong. Nick wouldn’t particularly enjoy Cyan being right. So he supposed, all in all, it wasn’t that big a—

“I’ll do it,” Sasha said. “I’ll teach you. If you really want to. I was going to the pool anyway, to do some laps. In like half an hour. If you want to meet me there. It’s at my sports center, near corner of 34th and 2nd Avenue. The pool’s supposed to be closed right now but I’ve got the keys and everything. I’ll wait for you.”

Nick froze. He had been so sure that Sasha would refuse. He hadn’t realized he might actually have to do this.

“It doesn’t have to be tonight, you know,” Nick said, all in a rush. “Besides I don’t know if I can be there in half an hour. I mean, the bus would take, like—”

“So take a cab. You’ve got two jobs and you quit school, right? You can afford it.”

“I didn’t quit school. I’m just taking a break. I’m all done with high school, in case you were insinuating otherwise.”

“Congratulations, Nick. Did you want a medal to go with your high school diploma?”

Unlike Cyan, Sasha seemed to have a pretty good understanding of sarcasm.

“Just be there in thirty minutes, or I’ll know you chickened out.”

Sasha didn’t sound like a depressed person at all. He sounded very much amused right now, actually.

“I’ll be there,” Nick said.

“Good.”

Nick hung up. Then he jumped to his feet, and he went to grab his jacket.

Thank you for reading :-)
I'll have the next (longer) chapter ready as soon as possible.
Feel free to ask questions or comment or anything!
Copyright © 2015 LieLocks; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

This is one of a few stories that I am following. Other than GFD, I don't normally seek out this genre. This one has been interesting so far. I find myself liking Cyan more and more. For a reaper he really is impish at heart. I'm interested in seeing how the Sasha and Nick relationship is going to progress and what Nick's partnership with Cyan will involve. What enemies does a reaper have that can be dangerous and what can you actually do to a reaper that would hurt them?

Link to comment
On 01/28/2015 04:43 AM, drpaladin said:
This is one of a few stories that I am following. Other than GFD, I don't normally seek out this genre. This one has been interesting so far. I find myself liking Cyan more and more. For a reaper he really is impish at heart. I'm interested in seeing how the Sasha and Nick relationship is going to progress and what Nick's partnership with Cyan will involve. What enemies does a reaper have that can be dangerous and what can you actually do to a reaper that would hurt them?
Thanks I'm glad you find it interesting :-) More will be revealed on reapers and hell as the story unfolds, with a fair amount of hints on their vulnerability in the next few chapters.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..