Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,690 Words
  • 3,026 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bovian Image - 11. Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“The show was a success,” Antonio said with a wide smile, two mornings after the fashion show.

Cole flipped through a bunch of drawings sent to him by the junior designers.

“We have received ninety percent response from the various companies we invited last night. I’m still waiting for two more companies.”

“Why do you think they are delaying?” Cole asked, looking at his older brother. “We can’t allow them to back out after the stress it took to get where we were last night.”

Antonio smiled.

“Relax, Gems is going to be calling us later in the day. One of their execs is a friend and he called me early this morning with the promise. Of course, I can’t confirm it officially until they send in their orders. As for Takayumi Jewels, I’ve heard nothing.”

“Takayumi is the most important in that whole bunch because of his vast in-country market share. I want in, Antonio.”

“Talk to Savan,” Antonio said. “He and Takayumi are the best of friends. He might be able to sway their decision back to us.”

“Meaning you already know that they are choosing another fashion house for their campaign.”

Cole sighed.

Dropping the designs on his desk, he stood up from his chair and walked to the large windows overlooking the city.

He suddenly couldn’t help wishing for the simple days in Milan. At least then, he’d only had to worry about the state of his shop. Those memories seemed like a thousand years ago. Putting his hands into his charcoal grey slacks, he thought of Danny.

There were days Danny would run into the store in Milan with a wide grin on his face, his cheeks flushed from being out in the sun. Danny would proceed to regale his staff and their customers with his morning adventures in the park or in the market, while Cole looked on with amusement.

Life had been simple those days.

Closing his eyes for a moment, Cole savored that memory, but not too long. He couldn’t indulge in that old sorrow now, no matter how much he wished. Danny wasn’t here anymore and Cole was responsible for a work force of a little over seven hundred people. Niad Fashions was his life and nothing could interfere. Not even a stubborn man who refused to move with modern times.

“I’ll go see Takayumi personally,” Cole said. He opened his eyes and turned to look at his brother. “I’ll talk him into the deal.”

“Go with Savan,” Antonio advised. “You will more luck swaying Takayumi with him on your side.”

“Why are you insisting on using Savan?” Cole asked. “Why can’t we keep it in house, you may come along if you’d like. Or, I could take Michael. He can be an asset if he wishes, or even mother.”

“All good choices, but, Savan knows Takayumi. I don’t know all the details, but Bovian Image has held a contract with Takayumi for as long as they’ve been open. Takayumi recommended Savan to us.”

Cole shook his head hoping for a different solution. He wished he’d never gone looking for Savan in Harajuku. Then the sight of Savan in another man’s arms wouldn’t plague his nights. Rubbing his eyes, he walked back to his desk.

“I’ll take Mom. Takayumi is a reasonable business man. There is no reason why he shouldn’t meet with us.”

“Fine, go see if you’ll sway him, but don’t push him. If he gets angry with us, we can kiss the whole deal goodbye.”

Cole shrugged and watched his brother leave his office. He wasn’t about to rely on Savan for anything, if he didn’t have to.

***

Mika watched her son pace the length of their living room. Cole was like a caged animal, she thought as she lazily sipped red wine from her glass. She hadn’t seen him this agitated in years.

Cole shut down emotionally after Danny’s death, to the point of giving up on Cole’s fashion. She’d bought the company to save it and merge it with Niad Fashions. It hadn’t taken much convincing to return Cole home to Japan. She’d simply packed everything and put him in a plane. He hadn’t touched a design for eight months after that.

Then one morning, she woke up to find him in the study, the floor covered with designs. She hadn’t asked. She’d simply put him to work at Niad Fashions, given him something to hold on to, and he’d ran with it. The result was an international brand.

Niad Fashions surpassed what she’d envisioned. Cole was a visionary, and he worked tirelessly. Which wasn’t bad for the company, but she was starting to worry about him now. She was glad for his success, but his happiness was important as well. She wished she could see him happy.

The last time she’d seen him smile genuinely was that afternoon at his store in Milan. When she’d promised to take him and Danny out for dinner, his lips had curved just so, it had reminded her so much of her husband, Raphael.

“Mom, are you listening to me?” Cole broke into her thoughts. “Why are you smiling? This is a disaster. Takayumi’s demands are impossible, what kind of businessman is he? I think we should do what Michael is suggesting.”

“What is that?” Mika asked with a frown.

Cole glared at her and stopped his pacing. He looked handsome today in a blue shirt, and a pair of dark blue slacks. His hair was mussed from the many times he’d run his fingers through it. Those dark eyes of his were blazing with some kind of emotion she couldn’t define, but she was glad to see it.

“Replace Takayumi’s company with a smaller one, and help them make their advertising campaign. The cost will be higher, but it saves my peace of mind. I refuse to work with Savan Bovian who won’t work with us again, something about their contract ending, and another company taking his time. What kind of businesses are these people running?”

Mika thought about the last time she saw Savan. She couldn’t understand how someone so rough and wild could create elegance and sophistication with a simple touch.

What he’d done with Yui’s hair was still sending waves in their circles. Savan talked softly and that smile of his was divine, but his eyes—, she frowned. His eyes were the reason she got hostile with him. Savan’s eyes were full of secrets and deep anger hidden inside.

The motorcycle didn’t help at all. It was good he was walking away from Niad. She’d not missed the looks her son was giving that boy. She watched Cole resume his pacing and her frown deepened.

“The night Savan did Yui’s hair, the National Hair Design Association contacted me. They wanted to include him in their next competition gala. I sent the invitation to him, and he has declined the offer. Does that make sense?”

No, but then Savan’s attitude was a mystery in general. Focusing on the current problem, her thoughts went back to the dinner they’d come from with the infamous Takayumi.

They’d had a lively time at Takayumi’s house. Sitting at a very long table with fifty people, eating fresh cuts of sushi and drinking sake, the atmosphere had gotten very loud and rowdy. She’d been hoping for a quiet dinner where they might talk business, but—, she shook her head.

Afterward dinner, Takayumi’s lawyer handed Cole their demands in an airtight contract. The contract included having Bovian Image work all the shows Takayumi and Niad put together. Takayumi specifically wanted Savan, and no one else from Bovian Image. However, one call to Savan, and he’d declined the offer.

Savan’s decline was the reason why Cole seemed caught in this tornado of emotion that was driving him into a pacing frenzy on her expensive Persian rug.

“We can’t walk away from Takayumi,” she said.

Business wise, Takayumi Jewels was worth the trouble. Takayumi’s reputation was solid and a relationship with the company would boost sales on this new campaign. Whereas a brand new company would cost them cash. One hair designer couldn’t be the reason they weren’t working with Takayumi.

“It will be a very public fall-out if we walk away from Takayumi Jewels. The press will crucify us for working with foreign companies and ignoring a native. Two, his market share is astounding, a younger company will be battling for his share market and he has the control right now. I’m sorry Cole, but Takayumi has us by the balls.”

“Savan won’t agree to work with us,” Cole said, stopping in his tracks. “And, I won’t beg him, Mom. I won’t play that role.”

“What about cajoling?” she suggested.

She might have to do some groveling as well, but only if necessary. It seemed Takayumi had a soft spot for Savan.

“Listen, I’m sure Savan only wants an apology for the stress in the past.”

“Not happening,” Cole said. He shook his head, and threw his arms up. “Find another company. I think the costs are worth it.”

She was missing something here she thought with a little panic. There was no way her son would jeopardize business this way. Cole was always so straight, looking at the bottom line first. Niad Fashions came first with him. This should have been a breeze. Placing the half-empty glass of wine on the coffee table before her, she leaned forward, resting her elbows on her lap.

“Cole,” she said. “What am I missing?”

***

Cole stared at his mother for a full minute before he ran fingers through his hair and moved to an armchair across her and sat.

He was losing it, that was what she was missing.

Takayumi’s dinner had driven him mad. All those people discussing Takayumi’s exploits in loud voices as they ate. Plenty of those exploits seemed to include Savan. Vacations in Osaka, skiing in Sapporo, festivals all over Kyoto. Takayumi spent a lot of time with Savan.

Takayumi had insisted that if he weren’t happily married to his wife, he’d go after the vulnerable, fun loving hairstylist.

Cole tried to imagine the image they were painting of Savan, and it seemed too impossible. All he got from that idiot was a cold attitude. Shaking his head, he frowned at his mother.

“It’s stupid really. I can’t explain it.”

“You like Savan.”

His mother’s expression was one of certainty. Cole wondered how she could be so sure, when he wasn’t. He was caught between hating the man, and wanting to strangle him.

“What if I do?” Cole asked. “Would that be bad? I haven’t—,”

Cole chuckled at his indecision.

“This is stupid. I’ll deal with it.”

“Oh, Cole,” his mother sighed. “Why can’t it be any of the models that work with you at Niad, or even some boy working in the offices?”

“I don’t know,” Cole said, standing up. “I’ll work it out, Mom. The company should be separate from my needs. I’ll go see him—”

“I can talk to him,” Mika cut in.

“No,” Cole said, holding out his hands as he jumped up, as if to physically stop her.

The thought of that conversation—

Savan would only get angrier.

“I’ll deal with this, you’re forbidden from going to see him.”

“What, you’re not—”

“Mom, stay out of this,” Cole said. “Leave Takayumi to me, I’ll make sure we get the contract. Don’t go down to Bovian Image.”

Grabbing his suit jacket from the couch, he pulled it on and tried to return some semblance of order to his hair. Giving up, he leaned down to press a kiss on his mother’s cheek. He waved her down when she moved to stand up.

“Finish your wine, Mom. I’ll see myself out. We’ll talk at the office tomorrow.”

“Fine,” Mika said.

Cole left the living room with fast strides. Outside in his black Mercedes, he stared out at the lighted perfectly manicured lawn confused about what to do next. If he went back to see Savan, he wasn’t going to be able to stop his need to know more about him.

***

“Savan, Takayumi-sensei insisted on having you in this new campaign. Why won’t you agree?” Rina, the Bovian Image lawyer, lamented again.

She stood in the main salon floor watching Savan work on a young girl’s hair.

“I gave you my answer. I’m really busy, why won’t they take Liang?” Savan asked, as he sectioned off hair and trimmed the edges expertly.

He continued cutting, sending a reassuring smile to his young charge. She wanted a new look, and wasn’t so sure about cutting her hair. It was taking all he had to keep her calm as she watched pieces of her hair fall to the tiled floor. Brushing out the section he’d already cut, he continued working without glancing at Rina.

“You are impossible,” Rina shouted, earning curious glances from the other clients in the room.

Rina ignored them all and stood tapping a peep-toe heel on the tiled floor.

“Takayumi-sensei wants you, and you know what that means. He seems to worship the ground you walk on. I don’t know what that’s about because I just want to fuc—,”

“Watch your language,” Savan cut her off.

His concern firmly on the little girl in his chair.

“If they won’t take Liang, then it’s too bad. I don’t have the time, Rina.”

“You mean, you won’t give the time,” Rina said in exasperation. “I need a drink every time I deal with you.”

She turned and walked off in a huff. Savan hid a smile. Glancing into the mirror, he laughed when he saw the little girl smiling with him.

“She’s very cross,” he said. “It makes her look terrible. You, on the other hand, are going to be even more beautiful when I’m done with you.”

She grinned wider and he continued the haircut. He was just settling into the rhythm when he glanced up and saw Cole Lucianne striding into his salon as if he owned the place. Groaning under his breath, Savan hoped that he was hallucinating. He was prone to such madness, and he accepted it now, keeping his focus on the dark hair he was working on. If he ignored the sight perhaps Cole’s specter might disappear.

“I know you saw me coming in,” Cole said in greeting, effectively destroying his little theory.

Cole ignored his short glare and moved to lean on the wall beside the large mirror mounted on the wall above the vanity counter where his tools were. Cole looked good in a black V-neck top and matching black slacks. His feet were in the leather sandals the man liked to wear when he wasn’t in the office. It was irritating that it was something he’d noticed.

Savan continued working on the girl’s hair, his lips tightening into a grimace. He had been expecting this visit, but not like this. He’d hoped it would happen upstairs in his office, where he could keep his cold façade and be fine for it. It would have been even better if Cole showed up on a day Savan was out on a call.

The little girl squirmed, no doubt sensing his tension and he sighed. Ignoring his unwanted visitor, he returned his attention to the innocent child and finished cutting her hair quickly. Brushing it out, he worked styling crème into the soft strands and brushed the hair out to reveal a light, full-bodied layered cut. The little girl smiled as she moved her head from side to side and her hair fell back into the cut.

“You look gorgeous,” he said, undoing the wrap around her.

Placing the wrap on the vanity table, he made sure her neck was clear of any stray hairs and handed her a stick of lip-gloss from the freebie basket on the vanity table.

“You can come in at any time, and one of the hair dressers will give it a brush for free, alright?”

“Thanks so much,” she said, getting off the chair. She smiled into the mirror again. “You were right about the cut.”

“Good, tell your mom to call for your next appointment,” Savan said, keeping his gaze on the little girl as she said goodbye with a shy smile and hurried away.

Fighting the urge to run out of the salon, he forced his gaze back to Cole to find the man watching him intently.

It was unsettling.

“Why don’t we take this up to my office?”

“No, I like watching you in your natural habitat,” Cole replied. His gaze smoldering hot as he kept it firmly on Savan’s face. “What happened to your eye?”

Savan glanced into the mirror and cursed the darkened skin on his left eye. It was starting to fade away but the bruise was still visible. Looking away, he took the wrap he’d used and dumped it into a laundry basket a few feet away.

“Nothing, what are you doing here?”

“Getting to know you,” Cole said, looking around the salon. “I have never been inside your salon before. For a boudoir-style salon, I was expecting, bright pink colors and such, but it’s very elegant and modern. You have the sumptuous glamour down to an art.”

Savan shrugged and glanced around the room. There were fifteen freestanding hairstyling stations separated five feet apart. Leaving adequate walkway space for an open effect on the main floor of the salon, the furniture used was in rich purple and white colors that brightened up the place. Out in the waiting area, there were fluffy cushioned chaise lounges with dramatic chandeliers that served as overhead lighting. They’d chosen to go with the boudoir-style kind of décor because it worked for the salon’s client base. He was proud of the shop, but he doubted Cole was here to discuss interior design.

“If you’re here about the Takayumi deal, I really can’t help you,” Savan said.

He motioned for one of the free stylists to come over and clean up his station. Walking to the sink, he washed his hands and wiped them on a clean towel.

“I’m engaged elsewhere.”

“I thought you might say that,” Cole said, crossing his arms against his chest. With a casual shrug, he gave Savan a short smile. “Are you trying to make a point?”

“No point,” Savan said, throwing the towel into the laundry bin as well. “Bovian Image has offered you a solution. Liang is available. If you’re not willing to take it, I don’t see how we can compromise.”

“Takayumi is insisting on having you,” Cole said, his gaze narrowed.

Savan felt like he was facing a firing squad. He refused to feel intimidated, moving to stand before Cole.

Why couldn’t the man take no for an answer?

His gaze caught movement through the mirror: two junior stylists were watching them curiously.

Savan cursed under his breath.

“I’ll double the fee,” Cole said abruptly, still lounging against the wall. “Send Liang to the people you’re working with. You can’t say no to that kind of money, you’d have to be a very stupid businessman.”

Motioning for them to leave the main floor, Savan led the way out through a side door. Cole followed, his steps slow. He was in no hurry to leave. No doubt, he had it in his mind to leave only when he had the answer he wanted.

“I can’t break a promise I’ve given to another client just because Niad Fashions needs me.”

“Let’s get one thing straight,” Cole said. “I don’t need you, Savan. Takayumi needs you.”

“I’m glad we have that straight.”

Savan stopped in the hallway. Facing Cole, he gave him a dazzling smile.

“Then this should be easy for you to understand. I am not available. You’re going to have to use Liang. Now, if there is nothing else, I have to go.”

“What is it with you?” Cole asked, grabbing Savan’s left arm, stopping him from walking away. “I came to ask in person. I’m offering you more money than the project is really worth. What the hell is the problem?”

“There is no problem,” Savan said, shrugging away Cole’s arm.

Savan couldn’t tell Cole that he wanted to stay away from him.

That he needed to stay away, he sighed.

“Please, leave it alone, Cole. I’ll talk to Takayumi, he'll work with Liang.”

“Fine, what if I said I want you in the project?” Cole asked. “I don’t care what Takayumi wants. If I asked you to work on this project, would you?”

“You don’t really know what you want, Lucianne.” Savan took a few steps closer to Cole and looked up into very dark eyes. “Maybe, I can make this easier for you. I don’t want to work with you. I hate your temper. Your mother is a crazy bitch, and frankly your type of people rub me the wrong way.”

“Then I’ll hold your reputation hostage,” Cole said, his temper close to short circuiting.

Savan hid a smile, wondering how much longer he had before sedate Cole was gone and the crazy Cole was in-house.

“I don’t care about that,” Savan said, nodding back the way they’d come. “The salon is full, that’s more than enough. Who needs your business?”

“You’re trying to provoke me. My fists are itching to meet your jaw, but that bruise on your eye—”

“Do it,” Savan dared him. “It will give me a chance to hit you right back."

Cole grabbed him by his upper arms, forcing their bodies together.

Boy was Cole tall, Savan thought, numb with shock.

Time seemed to move in a slow warped pace, and before he could even begin to protest, warm lips pressed against his. He brought his hands up to push Cole away, but the grip on his upper arms, tightened and he was against the wall.

When had they moved?

A hard kiss took over all his senses, holding him hostage in the hallway as a burning raging lust coursed through his body.

***

Copyright © 2012 lilansui; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The intricate webs have begun to close in on things.

Now you throw in another double vortex, and nobody

knows where it'll end.

 

You've kept things waiting. I love it...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/10/2012 07:17 PM, Stephen said:
The intricate webs have begun to close in on things.

Now you throw in another double vortex, and nobody

knows where it'll end.

 

You've kept things waiting. I love it...

Haha, love the double vortex comment. That's awesome. I'm glad you love it, I hope to keep you on your toes. Cheers.
Link to comment

Oh the steam builds below the surface and a fiery passion looms on the horizon.

Wow about time Cole took the initiative. Sometimes you've just got to grab what you want with both hands and make it happen.

Oh and I love the sound of the salon. As I read it, and pictured it in my mind, I suddenly wanted to be there, relaxing on the couch, watching the stylists snipping away at work.

Fantastic Lilansui. Keep it going. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/06/2013 12:49 PM, Daithi said:
Well that was a lot more effective than a slug to the face hehe.
A kiss in time...lol I considered the slug to the face...but then Cole was my romantic what can I say...
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..