Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 11,132 Words
  • 4,646 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Electric Blue and Catnip - 25. Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five

The tickle in his nose was the only warning he got before reflex took over. Six sneezes later, his eyes watering, Alexi wiped his nose with a tissue and threw it in a nearby trash bin. The sneezes made him wish for the coughs. Sneezes were worse, definitely more uncomfortable.

He adjusted the black surgical mask over his nose, and tightened his black wool scarf around his neck. He’d buttoned his jacket to cover his throat and still he was freezing. Autumn in Osaka was mild, but as he walked along Midosuji Avenue, the gingko trees a vibrant yellow; all he could do was shiver miserably.

It was a cool November Wednesday, and he’d escaped his hotel room for the afternoon. Tired of his bed and the endless meetings planning his weekend performances and interviews, he’d taken a very hot shower, dressed in the warmest clothes he could find and left the hotel.

Alexi-san,” Toda Hirako, the man who shadowed his every move whenever he was on tour said beside him. “We should head back to the hotel. We’ve been out here for two hours. It’s almost four o’clock, Lily will start worrying.”

He’d always liked Toda. The man had seen him through too many sticky situations and he trusted him with his life.

I’m fine, Toda.” Alexi buried his hands deep into the pockets on his jacket. “I don’t want to stay in bed and my hotel room is making me cranky.”

Toda chuckled. “Then let’s go drink whiskey, it will warm you up and clear your cold.”

Can you picture Lily’s face when I walk in drunk?” he asked.

She won’t mind,” Toda said in a reassuring voice.

Alexi considered it, but as tempting as drinking was, his tolerance for alcohol was low. He only drank with his brother or Joshua around. Thinking of Joshua made him sad. He wanted to see him so badly. His heart twisted painfully. This tour was so long. His heart longed for Joshua.

Gods, how was it possible to love one man this much.

His cellphone buzzed and he tugged off the surgical mask to answer the call. “I’m not coming back yet.”

Alexi, I have a visitor you really have to see,” Lily insisted. “Where are you?”

Alexi sighed and shook his head. “I don’t feel up to meeting any more execs today. Please, Lily, can’t you postpone that to tomorrow?”

Alexi, if you don’t want me to go nuts, you’ll head back to the hotel right now.”

Threaten me all you want,” he said holding back a sneeze. “I can’t be in that hotel room right now. Two days in bed is enough, I can’t be in there anymore. Who is this person, why can’t they meet me on the street?”

Where are you, exactly?” Lily asked.

Outside the shrine on Midosuji Avenue,” Alexi said glancing at the pristine stairs leading up to the Shrine.

We’re on our way,” Lily said and ended the call.

Alexi sighed and glanced up at the shrine. He walked up the steps and wondered if a plea to a higher power was going to help him see Joshua soon. Right now, even a few hours would do, just long enough to hug him.

Alexi!”

He froze at the top of the stairs. Heart pounding in his chest, he turned to find a tall man standing at the bottom of the steps. His dark curls tossed by the wind, his long black coat open to reveal an impeccable black suit. Alexi could barely believe it. Joshua.

Joshua started up the steps looking like a fantasy walking toward him. When he was finally close, Alexi met smiling electric blue eyes and wondered how he’d managed to live for three months without seeing them.

Josh?” he asked in a whisper afraid this was a dream.

That expression on your face makes the last fourteen hours worthwhile.”

Joshua touched his jaw, a simple caress. It catapulted Alexi out of his shock. He pulled Joshua into a tight hug. Burying his face in to Joshua’s jacket, he breathed him in, and closed his eyes when Joshua wrapped his arms around him.

Home, he thought. Joshua was his home.

****

The short drive back to the hotel was a blur. Alexi sat beside Joshua in the backseat their fingers laced tightly. When the car stopped, Joshua reluctantly let go and got out of the car first. Alexi followed him and they hurried through the lobby to the elevators. They didn’t talk once through the ride to the top floor.

When the elevator doors opened, Alexi led the way to his suite. Opening the door with his key card, he melted when Joshua took him into his arms and kissed him. They stumbled into the suite, closing the door they leaned against it. Alexi lost himself in the feel of Joshua’s arms around him, his lips on his, kissing him. He’d dreamt of this moment so many times. When Joshua broke the kiss, he sighed.

I’m going to infect you,” Alexi said with a chuckle.

Joshua kissed him again. “I don’t care.”

Alexi smiled and pressed kisses of his own on Joshua’s jaw. “If you get sick, we can stay in bed together, my germs your germs.”

Joshua laughed and held him tighter. “Are you trying to seduce me?”

Alexi held Joshua, the world stopped, time standing still. If they never moved, he wouldn’t care he thought. Just having Joshua here, like this-, he held back a sneeze.

Alexi closed his eyes, laying his head on Joshua’s chest. “I’ve missed you so much; I thought it was going to kill me.”

Why are you sick?” Joshua asked him stroking his hair back. “You promised to take care of yourself.”

Why are you so busy?” Alexi demanded. “Meetings, projects, my heart broke each time you couldn’t make it. I thought I was the one who had a busy schedule.”

Joshua kissed him on his forehead. “I’m here now.”

Alexi sneezed and he sighed pulling away from Joshua. “I’m sorry.” He hurried into the living room to get a tissue from a box on the coffee table and blew his nose. “I’m a mess.”

Alexi threw the used tissue in the trash and smiled when Joshua removed his coat and laid it over the back of the armchair.

I’m impressed,” he said in admiration. “A suit, Josh, did you really go through the airport in that?”

I thought I was going to find you performing,” Joshua said his cheeks flushing as he reached up to loosen his tie. His black shirt framed his shoulders to perfection. “I didn’t want to be the odd one out in jeans and t-shirt. So I changed at the airport.”

The suit jacket followed the coat and then Joshua perched on the couch a frown dancing on his forehead. “Are you taking your medicine?”

Alexi nodded and took the bottle of sanitizer beside the box of tissues and put some on his hands. “Lily has all kinds of remedies in the medicine cabinet. I’ve been in bed so long I don’t want to go into that bedroom.”

What can I do?” Joshua asked.

Alexi removed his own jacket, tossed it over the coffee table and moved closer to Joshua. “Just hold me,” he said quietly.

Joshua stretched out on the wide couch and patted the space he left. Alexi lay down beside him. The hardest part of being away from Joshua had been waking up in an empty bed. Alexi shifted until his head rested on Joshua’s chest. Closing his eyes, he listened for Joshua’s heartbeat and smiled when its steady sound filled his ears. He’d missed this the most he thought, Joshua holding him tight.

****

Joshua shifted to his side and propped his head up to watch Alexi sleep. He could barely believe this was real. He touched Alexi’s sandy hair, the soft strands sifting through his fingers. Trailing his fingers over Alexi’s ear, he tugged the soft earlobe and smiled when Alexi shook his head. He ran his finger along Alexi’s jaw line, rubbing soft cool skin, to Alexi’s chin. He paused there and studied Alexi’s parted lips. His thumb caressed Alexi’s full bottom lip, so soft; he glanced up when Alexi licked his thumb.

Alexi watched him with warm brown eyes that reminded him of warm honey. Leaning over him, Joshua kissed him as he’d wanted to for months. Hungrily exploring Alexi’s mouth, devouring him like an addict. He tugged Alexi’s shirt, dragging it off. Alexi gave a passionate moan when he ran his hands down Alexi’s naked back, digging into lean flesh. Alexi retaliated by tugging at the buttons on his shirt.

Kneeling between Alexi’s legs, Joshua pulled his shirt up over his head, and dropped it on the floor. Alexi sat up and stopped him when he dropped his hands to the button on his trousers. Meeting heated brown eyes, he bit his lip when Alexi undid his belt and unzipped his trousers. Joshua held his breath when Alexi pushed his briefs and trousers down, taking extra care to tug the waistband of his briefs over his hard erection. He closed his eyes when Alexi blew hot air on his hard length. Liquid fire filled his cock, and he let out a harsh breath. Alexi’s hot fingers closed around him and he gritted his teeth. Gods, he was so close. One stroke and he was going to explode. Alexi licked the tip of his cock, looking up at him when his fingers sunk into Alexi’s hair. He trembled with the effort to keep from exploding, biting his lower lip when Alexi took him into his mouth and sucked. He lost control, a flash fire raced through him, so hot he couldn’t help thrusting into Alexi’s mouth, caught in the raging heat as he came with a harsh cry. Alexi didn’t stop, keeping up his sensual torment, sucking on him gently. Joshua stopped him, slipping out of Alexi’s mouth with a plop. He pushed Alexi back on the couch cushions, kneeling over him; he took Alexi’s mouth in a hot kiss. His hands finding the buttons on Alexi’s trousers, he tugged them off and pushed the offending fabric off Alexi’s hips.

His desperate need took over then, this need to get as close to Alexi as he could. He worshiped Alexi’s body, kissing, stroking, and satisfying a craving born from their months apart. He took Alexi into his mouth, brought him to a crashing climax that left Alexi trembling. The sight of Alexi’s pleasure had his own cock aching again. Dragging Alexi to the floor so that they’d have more freedom, he took extra care preparing Alexi to take him. He covered Alexi’s silent moan of pleasure when he finally slipped inside him, fusing their mouths as he surged into Alexi’s tight sheath. Burying himself deep, Alexi’s hips rising to meet his deep thrusts, their sweat slicked bodies crushed together. Alexi’s legs locked around his hips as Joshua set a brutal, passionate pace. Breaking their kiss so that he could hear Alexi’s heated gasps and pleas. Those delicious pleas that turned desperate when Alexi got close, Joshua tangled their fingers together as he thrust harder into Alexi. Alexi’s body exploded in powerful waves that milked his own release. Alexi’s cry echoed Josh’s own hoarse shout as he collapsed on top of Alexi, his cock jerking and pulsing inside Alexi.

He fought to regain the ability to breathe, his hair damp and body covered in a fine sheen. He kept his hips tight against the cradle of Alexi’s, kissing his way along Alexi’s neck to his mouth. He levered himself up onto his elbows and framed Alexi’s face with his hands. Kissing him repeatedly, losing himself in the sweet velvet erotic taste that was Alexi. Alexi’s fingers swept into his hair, stroked through the damp strands, his touch loving. Joshua closed his eyes. He loved the way Alexi gave him everything, never holding back, just showering him with love.

He opened his eyes to find tears sliding into Alexi’s hair. He followed them with his lips, coming up to kiss Alexi’s eyes. His right eye, then his left, when Alexi opened his eyes, he asked, “Did I hurt you?”

Alexi shook his head. “No, I’m just happy.”

Joshua kissed him again. “Do you have to go somewhere tonight?”

Alexi shook his head. “No concert, no interviews, no appointments, I’m all yours.”

He smiled. “Good. I’ve been dying to have you all to myself.”

Alexi laughed. Joshua wrapped his arms around Alexi and shifted onto his back so that Alexi lay over him. Alexi licked his nipple and he groaned as his cock surged to life.

You’re a good cure,” Alexi said after a moment. “I haven’t sneezed once since I woke up.”

Joshua laughed and pressed his palm against Alexi’s forehead to check anyway. “You had me worried when you called two days ago. You sounded so…tired.”

Alexi lifted his head so that he could meet his gaze. “I was lonely; I was going insane from loneliness, Josh. I’ve missed you so much. I swear that’s why I got sick. I want you with me for the rest of this tour.”

Joshua reached up to brush sandy strands of hair out Alexi’s eyes. “I want the same thing, except I want to take you back with me when I leave on Tuesday. I’ve missed you too.”

Alexi studied him for a moment, and then said, “Don’t ever stop.”

What?” Joshua asked with a frown, sliding his thumb over the frown forming on Alexi’s forehead.

Missing me,” Alexi said quietly. “Needing me, wanting me like this. I don’t think I could take that, Josh.”

Joshua cupped Alexi’s face and tugged him down so that he could kiss him. He rolled to the side and took Alexi’s right hand, directing it to his hard cock. “Feel that?” he asked against Alexi’s lips.

Alexi’s hand wrapped around his cock and he hissed as his cock hardened even more. Meeting liquid brown eyes, he kissed Alexi again. “It’s for you, always for you, Alexi.”

Alexi stroked him possessively as they kissed again quickly giving in to their flaming passion.

***

The knock on the door at around ten o’clock the next morning surprised Joshua. He stood up from the dining table. Alexi had reluctantly left early in the morning for a series of interviews around Osaka. Joshua didn’t expect him back for another three hours. Going to answer the door, a smile broke on his face when he saw Allegra Kotaru. She looked refined in a silver-gray skirt suit, her hair held back in a twist. She wore a warm black coat that she left open. He could understand why Alexi sometimes called her the iron lady. She was intimidating.

Good morning, Joshua,” she said with a wide smile. She gave him a short bow in greeting which he returned. “I’m glad to see you so well.”

You too, Allegra,” he said pleasantly surprised. He moved to allow her in, but she raised her hand to stop him.

I want to steal you away,” she said. “I’m sure Alexi is caught up in his promotional activities. Can you spare time for me, Joshua?”

Ah, sure,” he said. “Let me get my coat then we can go.”

He hurried to the sitting room and took his coat from the armchair. Taking his phone from the coffee table, he hurried out to find Allegra waiting patiently in the hallway. He closed the door and followed her to the elevators. She asked him about New York and his family on the ride down to the lobby. When they got out in the cool air, she led him to a black car. The driver gave him a short nod as he hurried around the car to get in the backseat beside Allegra.

Where are we headed?” he asked as the driver joined traffic.

I enjoyed our talk in New York. Your passion for research and the Japanese culture was impressive so I wanted to take this opportunity to show you around.” Allegra arranged her coat and folded her hands on her lap. “Alexi tells me you have access to your son now.”

Yes,” he said with a smile. He’d called Shane last night and had him chat a little with Alexi. “Mr. Deveraux, Alexi’s lawyer in New York, was a great help.”

Good, family is important.” Allegra said. “Malcolm is a good man. He manages many of our legal interests in the U.S. As you know, our family maintains the Zantam Foundation. We have a center in New York, and Malcolm has helped us many times in the past few years. I’m glad he was able to help you.”

The driver stopped at a light before he made a right turn heading out of the main city.

Kotaru Industries has its headquarters not too far from Alexi’s hotel. If we have time, we’ll stop by and give you a short tour,” Allegra said. “For now, I’ll show off a bit about what I do. My mother tells me she gave you a Zantam Foundation portfolio.”

Yes, she did.” Joshua met Allegra’s cool brown eyes, and for a moment, it struck him how similar they were to Alexi’s eyes. Similar, but different, he thought. “The folder she gave me covered the projects Zantam has funded for research and grants given to various people. I haven’t had a chance to meet with Mrs. Taylor again.”

The car slowed down and turned on to a quiet street. They drove into a parking lot in front of a two-story brick building. The driver stopped at the building entrance and Allegra got out first and waited for him. A sign by the door read Kota Museum with the Zantam Foundation logo under the name.

Kota Museum was built by my husband’s grandfather, Alexi’s great-grandfather. He loved art, and would always say that art was the best way to heal a sad heart. He was an industrious man. He used to intimidate Alexi’s father just to get a rise out of him when he took over the family business. I loved spending time with him. In a way, he’s the reason I fell in love with this country. He died two years after we moved here. He was in his nineties, and even though he’d lived a long good life, it was a sad time for me. He was a very interesting man to be around.”

Allegra slipped a hand on his right elbow as they walked into the first floor exhibit hall. They paused before the first painting. It was a Japanese landscape from the Muromachi period fifteenth century, very old and carefully preserved.

Stunning,” he murmured. “Is this a permanent exhibit?”

Yes, this collection is on permanent display. The family donated it to this museum when my husband’s grandfather died. It’s called the Kotaru Collection, a mixture of Japanese and Chinese art, Japanese Western-style paintings, and sculptures. He acquired most of it during his travels; the Japanese painters gave their paintings to him, especially after World War II. They were afraid their work would scatter and no one would get to see their art. He promised to build a museum and share the art with everyone. And so, that is how the Zantam Foundation began. The foundation supports three main initiatives, art, culture and education. We give grant programs to non-profit organizations, research institutes, associations, passionate individuals.”

From the research he'd done, the Zantam New York branch concentrated on education grants. They funded a lot of science and technology ideas. He'd found a few recipients at his university. “The New York branch, seems to concentrate on education grants, why don't they offer art and culture grants?”

You've done your research,” she said in a pleased tone. “The New York branch has concentrated on education more than it has the art and culture. We were wary of pushing the art and culture agenda without a clear route. The foundation currently runs two museums, this one, and one in Tokyo, called the Phillip and Alexander museum of modern art. We have recently started construction on a third museum in New York, on the first floor of the Zantam Foundation building. If good fortunes abide, our focus on art and culture will continue in New York.”

Did you name the museum in Tokyo?” he asked with a small smile.

Allegra chuckled and paused before another landscape. “No, his grandfather named that museum. It was a gesture of love on his part.”

Joshua nodded suddenly realizing that Alexi’s roots in this country ran deeper than he’d imagined. Moving around the elegant exhibit hall, he couldn’t imagine Alexi ever agreeing to leave this place. Would his family even let him?

How is research for your book going?” Allegra asked as they left the Kotaru collection to go to the next exhibit hall. The collection label read; Debussy-Arts inspired Music.

I’m almost done with the book. I’ll send it to my editor when I get home.” He smiled. “I have had a lot of time alone to finish writing.”

Missing Alexi?” she asked.

He sighed. “More than I imagined I could.”

Love is like that,” she said patting his arm. “I was worried when he got sick, because he’s been running non-stop since the first concert in Tokyo. But, your calls and your support have really kept him in good spirits. Thank you for that.”

I’m happy to do it,” he said pausing before a Pierre-August Renoir painting named ‘Yvonne et Christine Lerolle au piano’; two women sitting before a black piano with a ballet dancer’s picture on the wall. “These are really beautiful.”

Yes, the collection is on loan from the P&A museum in Tokyo. Alexi’s favorite collection,” she said. “When he first started playing classical music, he’d play all of Debussy’s music for hours. I could hum the entire score of Maid with flaxen hair. Yelling at him to change the music was useless, so we all just got into the habit of finding new things about Debussy to give him. He moved on to compose his own music, but I think he still loves Debussy. When I told the P&A Museum director this story, she decided to compile this exhibition in order to commemorate Debussy’s birthday last year.”

How clever,” Joshua laughed. There was so much he didn’t know about Alexi, so much to learn.

They walked through the exhibit, Allegra pointing out paintings and making jokes. She was entertaining and told him anecdotes of Alexi and Phillip growing up. Each story painted a picture of Alexi’s life. Their families were irrevocably different, he thought. Alexi’s family steeped in history and tradition while his-, apart from his mother’s home in Stanton Island, there wasn’t much else. He was glad they were in love, his heart so completely merged with Alexi’s, because it meant he couldn’t run away, no matter how intimidating Alexi’s family was.

When they left the Debussy collection, Allegra glanced at a delicate gold watch on her wrist.

Time to head to the next location,” she said decisively. “You’ll come again and visit the other halls. I’ll make sure.”

She led the way out of the building and they were back in the car again. Allegra talked about the different exhibits in the various museums. Passion in every word, it was easy to see where Alexi had gotten his creative side.

They headed back to the main city, back to Alexi’s hotel. Allegra took him to a quiet restaurant on the first floor.

I’m starving,” she said as he helped her take off her coat. He pulled out her chair and once she settled, he sat across her. “We’re going to meet with someone important.”

Joshua removed his own coat and adjusted the dark blue sweater he had on over his blue shirt. Before he could ask whom they were meeting, an older woman appeared. She bowed politely to Allegra and he stood to pull out a chair for her.

Mrs. Shuji, this is the young man I was telling you about,” Allegra said. “Joshua Randolph.”

Mrs. Shuji shook his hand with a wide smile, and he urged her to sit first.

How do you like Osaka so far?” she asked when he settled in his seat.

I like the weather, it’s not as cold as New York right now,” Joshua said with a grin. “I haven’t had much of a chance to explore the city. I only arrived yesterday.”

Don’t miss the Osaka Castle Park,” Mrs. Shuji said proudly. “The maple leaves have changed and it’s a beautiful place to go on a picnic.”

Joshua is an Eastern Literature professor at the University of New York,” Allegra said after their waiter finished taking their orders. She met his gaze, hers full of promise. “He's currently writing a book focused on the Meiji period and the shift in classes.”

We just had an exhibition this summer focused on the Meiji period,” Mrs. Shuji said with a smile. “We had a few woodblock prints that would have interested you. Are you familiar with the Saigo Star urban legend?”

Joshua nodded. “Yes, right after the Satsuma Rebellion, and the death of Saigo Takamori, the last Samurai leader, an unfamiliar huge red star appeared in the skies and the people believed it was an ill-omen. One meant for Saigo's enemies. Rumor was that if you looked at the star through a telescope you could see Saigo Takamori in full military dress. The rumor got so out of control, the scholars of that time had to print out a leaflet saying that the red star was Mars. That year, earth had moved close to Mars, hence the huge red star.”

Mrs. Shuji smiled in approval. “Woodblock prints of the Saigo Star were quite popular then, and our exhibition had three of them. I just came from returning them to the owner. She is very attached to them and wouldn't release them without my promise to return them personally.”

Mrs. Shuji is quite the woodblock print collector herself,” Allegra said. “She loves sharing her collection to fellow enthusiasts.”

I'd love to see your collection,” Joshua said turning to Mrs. Shuji. It would give him time to pick her brain about a few details he wanted to add to his manuscript.

If you have time,” Mrs. Shuji asked.

Of course, he does,” Allegra said, glancing at him. “Alexi will be busy tomorrow morning. You can meet Mrs. Shuji at her home. She has many stories about the Meiji period.”

I'd love that very much,” Joshua agreed.

Very good,” Allegra said, pleased. “Mrs. Shuji is the current Managing Director of the Zantam Foundation. She has worked with us for fifteen years. She's worked hard to make our Foundation thrive. We wouldn't be where we are without her.”

You are too kind, Allegra-san,” Mrs. Shuji said with a small blush.

It's the truth,” Allegra said. “The foundation's board has recently decided to find a Director of Asian Culture. With the new museum in New York, Mrs. Shuji believes we need an individual able to understand and navigate both worlds.”

I'll confess that I've read your published articles since Allegra-san mentioned your name.” Mrs. Shuji met his gaze. “Your research is solid and you're passionate. It's quite refreshing.”

Joshua held his breath as he waited, afraid to hope, but hoping anyway.

Allegra must have sensed his feelings. She smiled at him and said, “When we met in New York, it felt as though I'd met the perfect man for the job. I told Mrs. Shuji I’d introduce you to her.”

Joshua gaped.

What do you say, Mr. Randolph?” Allegra asked with an expectant expression.

****

Alexi rubbed his tired eyes and yawned. Thanks to Joshua he hadn’t gotten very much sleep, but he wasn’t complaining, he thought with a smile. Waking up beside Joshua, this morning had been the closest to heaven he’d gotten. Shifting in his seat, he glanced at Lily.

I want to take Josh to the airport on Tuesday afternoon.”

Not possible,” Lily said shaking her head.

Alexi frowned. They were on their way back to his hotel where he was to meet his mother and Joshua. He wasn’t surprised his mother had gone to see Joshua. He was sure she’d spent the whole morning taking Joshua through the museums and maybe even the foundation’s main offices. He was a little jealous since his schedule was so busy until Sunday night.

Please Lily,” he said. “We don’t have that much time alone until Monday and the few hours before his flight on Tuesday. Please.”

Can you imagine what will happen if you show up at the airport? Press, fans, it will be a nightmare,” Lily said touching his shoulder. “Isn’t it better to let Joshua leave quietly?”

Alexi sighed and decided to bargain. “I’ll let you put whatever you want on my Yokohama schedule next week.”

Alexi-,”

You’re really good at planning exit strategies. If we keep it between us, this will work out. Please, Lily, don’t make me watch him leave my house.”

Are you really taking him to your beach house?”

Alexi smiled at the thought. “Yes, after the concert on Sunday, I want to show him my home.”

Lily sighed. “Fine, but you’ll take Toda with you. He’ll protect you both if anything happens at the airport.”

Alexi felt relief flood him. “Have I told you how much I love you,” he said grinning at her. “Thank you.”

She graced him with a sweet smile. “Remember your promise. Yokohama is full of people to meet, and radio stations to visit.”

Alexi winced. “Yeah I know, fan service. Consider me your slave.”

She blew him a kiss and he laughed. When they reached the hotel, she left him in the lobby and he headed to the restaurant on the first floor. Walking into the busy restaurant, he smiled when Joshua waved at him. Curbing the urge to run, he walked to their table and paused when he saw Mrs. Shuji stand.

Grandma Shuji,” he said in surprise. “What are you doing here?”

Alexi,” she said moving to hug him. “Look at you; you grow more handsome each time I see you. You’ve been neglecting me. I haven’t seen you in a while.”

I’m sorry,” he said when she let him go. “I have no good excuse, Grandma Shuji.”

Mrs. Shuji took his hand and squeezed. “That’s alright. I know you’ve been hard at work. I have tickets to your concert tomorrow night. I can’t wait to hear you play again.”

He smiled and gave her a bow of respect. “I’ll do my best.”

When she left, he turned to his mother. “Mum, did you have a meeting with her?”

Yes.” Allegra accepted a kiss on her cheek and watched him slide into the chair right beside Joshua. “Your cold disappeared,” she observed.

I’m healthier than a horse,” he said taking Joshua’s hand under the table. His heart squeezed tightly when Joshua laced their fingers. Locking their hands together, as he wished they’d stay forever.

How was your interview,” Joshua asked him.

Easier than I thought it would be,” Alexi answered meeting Joshua’s gaze. “I was eager to be finished though so that I could come home to you. I’m glad mum rescued you from boredom alone in the suite.”

Joshua nodded and smiled at Allegra for a moment. “She took me to the Kota Museum. You never told me you had a museum named after you.”

Alexi blushed, his gaze flying to his mother’s unreadable one. It suddenly felt as though he’d missed something important.

It never came up,” he said slowly. “What’s going on? Why did you meet Mrs. Shuji?”

Allegra glanced at Joshua before she said. “Mrs. Shuji had information for his book research. Joshua is going to visit her tomorrow. She's going to show him her Wood print collection. It will keep him busy while you're away for rehearsals.”

Joshua squeezed his fingers. “Your mum was sharing your family history with me.”

Alexi narrowed his gaze at his mother, she was smiling slightly, happy. He couldn’t shake off the feeling that she had an agenda. Letting it go for now, he turned to Joshua and listened to him talk about his trip to the Kota museum.

****

Joshua trailed kisses on Alexi’s bare shoulder, his fingers tracing Alexi’s backbone. Alexi lay on his stomach, hugging a pillow. Sunlight spilled on to the bed, dancing on Alexi’s skin, he propped his head up on his elbow.

He loved Alexi’s house, especially its tall windows overlooking the beach. They lay on Alexi’s wide bed, the sheets at their feet. He traced his fingers along Alexi’s backbone to the small of his back. Alexi turned his head on the pillow to look at him, his brown eyes filled with content. His Alexi, soft and giving, he thought. His thoughts lingered on the last four magical days.

From the museum trip with Allegra, to exploring Osaka with Alexi: visiting parks, shopping for comics for Shane, buying a kimono for Alicia, trying out new food, meeting Alexi’s brother for dinner, his favorite moments had been watching Alexi get on stage. Alexi had taken a bow before thirty-five thousand each night. Sitting behind his piano, Alexi had played with vigor, mesmerizing his audience with his confidence, drawing them into a fantasy world filled with fun and vibrant music. Joshua could hardly believe Alexi had once been afraid to stand on a stage.

Last night, after the final concert, they had checked out of the hotel and Toda, Alexi’s bodyguard, had driven them to Alexi’s beach house. They’d arrived late in the night, and Alexi had shown him around the house, dragging him from room to room like a kid showing off his toys.

What are you thinking about?” Alexi asked.

You,” Joshua said. “I love your house. It’s exactly how I pictured it.”

And how is that?” Alexi asked.

Open, artistic, bright,” he said kissing Alexi’s shoulder, “very much like a home.”

Alexi smiled. “That last word is starting to take on new meaning for me.”

What do you mean?”

Alexi shifted to his right so that he was facing him. “Home is supposed to be where you’re most comfortable, most happy. This house used to be that for me. Now-,” Alexi stopped and studied him.

Now,” Joshua prompted sweeping strands of hair out of Alexi’s eyes. “Now what?” he asked when Alexi kept watching him.

Is it too soon to say that you’ve become my home, Josh?” Alexi asked quietly.

No, it’s not too soon,” he answered with a smile.

Alexi nodded. “When you won the petition to see Shane, I just wanted to fly back and be by your side. I wanted to celebrate with you: see you smile when Shane came to your house. I don’t think I can articulate how much I miss you, Josh. I hate not being with you.”

Joshua kissed Alexi hoping to take away his sadness.

I know,” he said against Alexi’s lips. “I missed you too, every second.”

Alexi sighed and stroked his jaw. “I don’t want you to leave tomorrow.”

Alexi,” Joshua said quietly. “I have to tell you something.”

He lifted his head and met concerned honey brown eyes.

What?” Alexi asked.

Joshua rubbed the frown on Alexi’s forehead with his thumb. “Promise to hear me out,” he said.

Josh, what’s wrong?” Alexi asked his frown deepening.

Nothing is wrong,” he said thinking about Allegra’s offer four days ago. He’d thought hard since their lunch on Thursday. “In fact, it might be the right thing for all of us.”

All of us?” Alexi asked.

You, Shane, and me,” he said quietly. “We’re a small family that’s scattered, held together by promises.”

Alexi chuckled. “You’re waxing poetic, Josh. Have you been reading from my stash?”

Sometimes, when I miss you too much,” he answered with a smile.

What’s on your mind?” Alexi asked him quietly.

Your mother made me an offer,” he said matching Alexi’s tone. “On Thursday, when we went to visit the museum, she asked me to take a position with the Zantam Foundation.”

Alexi sat up. “Josh,” Alexi said with strained voice.

You don’t like it,” he said as Alexi got off the bed and picked up a gray robe from an armchair near the wall. He sighed as Alexi covered his body, tying the belt around his waist tight.

My mother always has an agenda.” Alexi ran fingers through his hair and sank into the armchair. He closed his eyes. “That’s why Grandma Shuji met you for lunch.”

Joshua sat up on the bed. “Why are you upset?”

I’m not upset.” Alexi looked at him and shook his head. “I’m just worried. I don't know why she would offer you this position-,”

You don’t think I can do it?”

I don’t doubt that you can, Josh. That’s not the problem,” Alexi said getting to his feet.

Then what is?” Joshua asked confused. “From where I’m sitting, it’s the only way we’re going to manage a life together, Alexi. I can’t stand not seeing you for months. You have obligations here; taking the position your mother’s offering makes sense. It gives us a clear future together and I really want that with you.”

Alexi walked to the windows. “My family is not like yours, Josh.”

Believe me, I can see that,” Joshua said getting off the bed. He grabbed up the jeans he’d discarded on the floor last night and wore them. “Don’t you want a life with me?”

Alexi turned to him. “Gods, how can you ask me that? You know how I feel, Josh. Of course I want a life with you.”

Then what is your problem with my taking the job your mother is offering?”

Because, you don’t know her like I do,” Alexi answered. “You’ll be under her thumb. I don’t want her to micro-manage your life too. My family is full of conservatives. There are so many things they’ll want to control.”

Joshua crossed over to Alexi who was now leaning on the glass windows. He took Alexi’s arms and shook him slightly. “You’ve managed to live your life how you want despite your family. Can’t you trust I’ll do the same? I’ll do anything to protect what we have, you have to know that.”

Alexi lifted his head to meet his gaze. “I know my family, Josh. Working in the Zantam Foundation will expose you not only to my mother, but also to my extended family, people who don’t understand me, us. They’ll hurt you, and that will just drive me crazy.”

I’ll have you. And I’ve faced worse things than a bunch of old fashioned family. Are you listening? I’ll do anything to protect our relationship.”

What if you get tired down the line?” Alexi asked quietly. “I love you, Josh. I want you in my life forever. But-”

No buts, I want the same thing,” Joshua cut him off. “These last three months apart taught me an undeniable lesson. I don’t want to live without you. I want to wake up next to you every day for the rest of my life. I’m won’t get tired of you.”

Josh,” Alexi said in a soft tone.

We have to find a way to make a life together happen, Alexi.”

I could move to New York.” Alexi offered quietly.

I won’t watch you give up the stage,” he said bringing his hand up to cup Alexi’s jaw. “I saw you, Alexi. That secret smile on you have when you are performing, I want to see it for as long as I can.”

What about Shane? Working for the Zantam Foundation will mean spending months here in Osaka.”

Lots of parents travel,” Joshua said. He pulled Alexi into a hug and buried his face into Alexi’s shoulder. “We can spend summer time in New York, and visit Shane for the December holidays. We can make it work, Alexi.”

****

Alexi pressed a kiss on Joshua’s shoulder and closed his eyes. He should have known his mother would meddle. She’d offered Joshua the perfect job. Managing Director of the Zantam Foundation was a job tailor-made for Joshua. He was a man who loved Asian history and culture probably as much as he loved Shane. The Foundation would give him the chance to meet all kinds of researchers, open doors and give him recognition. Joshua would bring so much to the foundation, especially the New York branch. The current director was so obsessed with research, he'd forgotten the foundation's roots.

His mother was too astute, he thought with a frown.

When is my mother expecting a call from you?” he asked quietly.

She gave me two weeks.”

Alexi nodded and pulled back.

You’re still reluctant.” Joshua said, electric blue eyes studying him keenly. A frown creased Joshua’s forehead, his eyes filled with worry.

Alexi smiled and kissed Joshua’s right jaw. “I’m just naturally paranoid when it comes to Mum.”

She’s not that bad. I think she just wants to keep you here.”

She’s the chairman of the Foundation’s board and you’d be spending a lot of time with her if you take the job.”

I don’t care as long as I get to see you more than I have these last few months,” Joshua said. “Obviously the decision is not made yet, why don’t we think about this for the next two weeks?”

Alexi nodded glad that they weren’t making a decision right now. He needed time to talk to his mother. Why would she make such an offer without asking him first?

You’re worrying,” Joshua said with a sigh.

I can’t help it,” Alexi said with a small shrug. His mother always had a reason behind her actions. He didn’t want to think what was behind this offer. Joshua took his hand and pulled him out of the bedroom.

Enough,” Joshua declared as they headed to the staircase. “We need breakfast; we’re supposed to be having fun. Today’s my last full day here. So, let’s eat, and then go walking along the beach. We can talk about the future later.”

The reminder sent pangs of dread through his stomach. It had only been five days but he’d gotten used to waking up beside Joshua. He had no way of knowing when they’d see each other again. May be at Christmas? That was six weeks away, he sighed.

Joshua let his hand go when they entered his spacious kitchen. He pushed away his dread and headed to the fridge.

Alexi.” He looked up to find Joshua watching him. “It will work out.”

Alexi nodded and gave him a small smile. He really hoped it would work out.

****

Tuesday afternoon came too fast. Alexi helped Toda remove Joshua’s suitcase from the trunk. Anything to delay the coming separation, he thought as Toda gave him a quizzical glance. He shrugged and took Joshua’s carry-on bag.

Do you have your passport?” he asked as they entered the departures hall. When Joshua held out the small blue book, he asked, “Ticket?”

Alexi, I’m good to go,” Joshua said. “We’re on time; I have my phone and reading material.”

Alexi nodded and nervously shifted Joshua’s carry-on bag from his right hand to his left. The airport was not busy. Toda took Joshua’s suitcase to luggage check-in. Alexi watched Joshua talk to the airport attendants behind the counter.

He swallowed the lump in his throat hard. This wasn’t goodbye; they’d see each other soon. Joshua finished with his luggage and came toward him. Toda followed at a discrete distance.

Okay,” Joshua said giving him a slight smile. “What’s with that face? If you keep looking at me like that, I won’t be able to leave.”

Alexi chuckled nervously and held out the carry-on bag. Joshua took the bag, tilting his head to the side to study him.

It’s not forever,” Joshua said gently. “We’ll see each other over Christmas. I’ll fly out to meet you in Nagoya. Lily told me you’re holding a holiday concert there for four days.”

Alexi nodded. “If you can, bring Shane with you.”

Joshua smiled. “I promise. He’ll get a kick out of that visit.”

Alexi stepped closer to Joshua. “Say hello to Alicia, your big sis and your mom. Don’t forget to give them my gifts.”

I won’t forget,” Joshua said quietly.

Toda caught his attention and tapped on his watch. Alexi sighed.

He hugged Joshua then, biting his lip hard to keep from howling in despair at yet another separation. “Call me every step of the way, especially when you’re between connections. Okay?”

I will,” Joshua brushed a kiss on his hair and stepped back. “Don’t get sick, Alexi.”

I promise.”

His heart heavy, he watched Joshua head toward security check. He watched Joshua’s progress, until the officers had cleared him. Toda touched his shoulder but he didn’t move, his gaze following Joshua’s retreating figure. He let out a sigh when Joshua waved at him from the walkway beyond security. He returned the wave and bit his lip when Joshua disappeared.

Kotaru-san, we should go,” Toda said touching his shoulder. “Your parents are waiting at home, and then you have a flight to Yokohama in three hours.”

Alexi gave the spot where Joshua had disappeared one last glance before he turned and allowed Toda to lead him out to the car.

****

Toda drove him straight to his parent’s house. He needed to talk to his mother about the offer she’d given Joshua. She was always making decisions, planning his life without him. He sighed as he walked into the house, pausing outside the family room to take in a deep breath. Facing his whole family at once was tough sometimes. He entered the family room a minute later and wasn’t surprised to find all his extended relatives and his parents in heated conversation.

Alexi,” Allegra said happily, when she saw him. “I was starting to think you weren’t coming.”

He greeted his father with a bow and said, “I’m sorry; we got delayed on the exit out of the airport.”

I’m happy you made it,” Hideki said. “Greet your elders, we’ll talk later.”

Alexi bowed to his grandparents, his two aunts and three uncles. He took a seat beside Phillip and wondered how long this meeting was going to take. Their relatives were like judge and jury. They watched their lives like hawks and when something wasn’t going right, they descended to pass judgment. How could he expose Joshua to this life?

Did Josh leave okay?” Phillip asked him as their parents continued talking to their relatives.

Yeah,” Alexi glanced at his phone. “He’ll call me when he gets to Narita. He has an hour-long wait until his flight to New York. What did I miss?”

The usual family politics,” Phillip said with a sigh. “I’m the one getting married, but everyone has to decide what kind of ceremony it has to be.”

What does Hikari want?” Alexi asked his brother. “And shouldn’t she be here? She’s the bride.”

She’s dealing with a contract in Sapporo, and won’t be back until Friday. I asked her not to come anyway,” Phillip answered. “I wanted to save her from this. I wish we could elope.”

Alexi chuckled. “I can just imagine what the aunts would say.”

Don’t remind me,” Phillip shuddered. “Speaking of which, you were on the agenda too. The family went to your Friday concert. There were rumors you might be relocating again to New York.”

Alexi tried not to sigh in exasperation. “Is that why mum offered Joshua the job with the foundation?”

She anticipated there would be that kind of talk especially after your declaration at the first concert.” Phillip shrugged. “Mrs. Shuji was looking for a director to take on expanding Zantam New York. Joshua's credentials met all her requirements, so I talked mum into letting them meet. He'll be good for the foundation. And, it will be the easiest way to get the relatives to leave you alone, Alexi. Trust me.”

It was your suggestion then,” he said when he met Phillip’s gaze. “Why? I should tell Josh not to take the job.”

Don’t,” Phillip said touching his knee.

What are you two whispering about over there?” Hideki, their father, said glancing at them. “Your grandparents want to leave.”

Phillip gave him a warning glance as they stood. Alexi frowned as he watched Phillip thank their aunts and uncles for taking the time to come over to the house. As though they’d asked them to come, he thought in irritation. He held back his annoyance when he faced his elderly grandfather.

Alexi,” his grandfather said holding out his hand.

Alexi took the frail hand gently. “Yes Grandfather.”

These hands of yours get more talented with time. Come and play for me when you’re done traveling around the country.”

Alexi smiled when his grandfather squeezed his hands. “Yes, I will grandfather. Thank you for coming to my concert.”

He bowed to show respect. His grandfather patted his head gently and headed out of the family room. He spent a few more minutes thanking his grandmother, aunts and uncles. When they all left, he returned to sit next to his brother.

Phillip, tell Hikari she can plan the wedding as she chooses,” Hideki said. “We’ll hold it here, spare no expense.”

Thank you Dad,” Phillip said with a small smile. “For a moment I was afraid you were going to take Aunt Aoki’s suggestions and insist on a traditional wedding. She can be so strict.”

Not at all,” Hideki said. “Now, on to Alexi, I hear Joshua Randolph is going to join Mrs. Shuji.”

Alexi glanced at Phillip then his mother. When she wouldn’t meet his gaze, he sighed. “It’s not final yet.”

It’s a good decision. Joshua is passionate about his work. He’ll be a fresh addition to the foundation. Tell him to take the position, Alexi.” Hideki gave his approval. “I’m sorry I missed his visit this time. I’ll take you both out for a drink the next time he comes to Japan.”

Alexi nodded and frowned when Hideki stood. “Alright, family business aside, I’m heading upstairs for a shower. Your mother and I have an important dinner with one of our investors. What time is your flight, Alexi?”

In two hours,” Alexi said standing to hug his father.

Good, safe journey to Yokohama, and take care of your health,” Hideki told him as he let him go.

Hideki rushed away and Alexi turned to his mother and Phillip. “You both have some explaining to do.”

I know you’re dying to burst into a rage, but before you do, sit down.” Allegra pointed to the chair he’d vacated. “You should thank me.”

Thank you?” Alexi scoffed. “You’ve committed my boyfriend to a foundation run by this family.”

Alexi,” Phillip said moving to a side table by the wall on his left to get coffee. “I told you there was an agenda with your name before you walked in. The relatives wanted to know when you’re getting married. Thanks to your passionate declaration about ‘someone-you-love’, they want to know whether she’s from a good family.”

Did you tell them we’re in 2013? Whom I love is my business,” Alexi joked. He’d figured they would use that against him eventually. “Seriously, when are they going to stop interfering in our lives?”

Will you take this more seriously?” Allegra said with a frown.

Alexi sighed and stared at his phone. He held it tight, not wanting it far in case Joshua called.

Mum, if I take this seriously, I’m liable to lose my mind. Why did you do it? Can we start with that? And before talking to me,” he shook his head in disappointment. “Did you forget that Josh has a life in New York?”

I haven’t forgotten anything.” Allegra accepted the cup of coffee Phillip held out to her with a sigh. “I had my reasons.”

I’m all ears,” Alexi said refusing coffee when Phillip offered.

Mum is protecting you,” Phillip said quietly. “I know you, Alexi. You’re probably thinking of moving to New York.”

It would be easier,” he said sitting back in his chair, easier for Joshua.

You used up that argument when you insisted on moving in with Adrian.” Allegra sipped her coffee and met his gaze. “After Adrian turned out to be a con, no one is willing to imagine you can move to New York permanently. I like Joshua, if you two are truly in love; I need to take steps to protect him from the family.”

It’s my life. I can do what I want with it.” Alexi scoffed.

Can you afford to say that?” Allegra asked him with a raised brow. “Your brother is not the only one with obligations to the family. Phillip will end up with Kotaru Industries, but you are responsible for the Zantam Foundation, Alexi. Your grandfather made sure of that, our relatives expect it. I’m just its guardian until you can take over.”

He looked away with a sigh. He’d spent most of his life running away from that reality. It was easier to throw himself into music, composing, performing. It kept obligations at bay.

Honey, we’ve tried to tell them you’re gay,” Allegra said quietly. “They don’t see why that should stop you from marrying anyway to continue the family. Having Adrian turn into a con man didn’t win you points. Can you imagine how they’ll treat Joshua if we don’t protect him?”

Phillip sat beside him with a sigh. “Don’t look so down. With Joshua working at the foundation, you can come and go as you please. The relatives won’t bother you anymore, or ask about you marrying. We’ll make sure of that.”

Your brother is right.” Allegra chipped in.

Alexi scoffed. “So, what you’re saying is, as long as Josh takes the job, you’ll make sure the relatives don’t judge our life? Or mistreat him?”

Don’t say it as though we’re blackmailing you,” Phillip said. “This is just how things are in our family, Alexi. You just saw them here, discussing my wedding and fiancé. They have ways to make life miserable if they don’t like something. You know that too.”

If you love Joshua as you say, this is the best cause of action.” Allegra placed her coffee cup on the table and gave him an imploring glance. “I know what you're going through is not easy. You have a huge family that's watching you at all times, expecting you to uphold tradition. I'm sure you're worried it will all be too much for Joshua. I know that struggle, Alexi. Your father had that worry with me, and look how we turned out. So, you have to trust me.”

I don’t know whether to be happy or to cry,” Alexi said in a defeated voice. He hadn’t missed this side of his life. He suddenly wished for a family like Joshua’s, simple bonds. Not the complicated politics that came with old money and family honor. He wished he could let the foundation go, but it would be like cutting off his limbs. He didn’t want to be the one who betrayed his grandfather’s trust.

Joshua is getting the best bargain,” Allegra pointed out. “I’ll be the one dealing with the family and not him.”

You can’t guarantee the rest of the family won’t seek him out,” Alexi said wondering if this was fair to Joshua.

Joshua’s position is autonomous. He will deal with the daily functions of the foundation, not the politics of what our grandparents, aunts and uncles want. None of them are in the board,” Phillip advised. “It’s the perfect place for your boyfriend.”

Alexi glanced at his mother. “I have to tell him.”

Do you?” Allegra asked with a frown.

Yes,” Alexi said painfully. “He has to know what this family is like before he gets too involved to escape.”

Can’t you just let him take the job?” Allegra asked him. He narrowed his gaze at her and she sighed. “Very well, you’re right. Best to let him know we’re a bunch of judgmental traditionalists. Our family is a lot to take, but I think Joshua can handle it.” She sighed and picked up her coffee. “I’m grateful to him, you know. He’s brought back a smile on your face and that’s worth so much more to me.”

Alexi swallowed hard as he realized a future with Joshua might be harder than he’d anticipated. How could he sentence a man he loved to this mess of a family? He had a choice to make, he realized, a life with the family and its constraints or Joshua.

***

Joshua paced the length of his living room, his phone pressed to his ear. He’d spent the last thirty minutes listening to Alexi tell him why Allegra had offered him a position in the foundation. Since he’d landed in New York a week ago, he’d spent hours debating the merits of working for the Zantam Foundation.

Seeing Alexi everyday had been number one on the pros list. Not being able to see Shane often had been number one on the cons list. But, he could manage the sacrifice if it meant a life with Alexi.

My relatives want me to get married, obviously an unreasonable suggestion,” Alexi said. “So, my mother wants to protect you and me. She’s promised me that if you work for the Zantam Foundation, she’ll quell the family’s demands. Have you ever heard of such a thing? It sounds too much like blackmail.” Alexi let out a shaky breath and continued, “My family is impossible, Josh. The stress you’ll go through is not worth it.”

Family politics, he thought, that’s what Alexi was calling it. It all sounded so complicated, when it should be simple. He wanted Alexi. Alexi was in Osaka. This job would give him Alexi, not to mention elevate his career.

He was thirty-three, going on thirty-four in January. Professionally, he’d done well so far. He was a review away from making tenure. He could probably live the rest of his life happily teaching students and doing research. The future would be safe and set, he thought, a sure thing. But the opportunity Allegra was offering him only came once in a lifetime. His fellow professors would kill to get the position Allegra was handing him.

Don’t take the job,” Alexi said suddenly.

Why?” Joshua asked frustrated. “I don’t care what your family’s agenda is, Alexi. If it means we get to be together, I’ll take the job.”

There was silence on the other end. “Alexi?”

I’m being unfair to you,” Alexi said with a sad tone. “I know what a position with the foundation means to a scholar like you. It’s a chance to pursue research in elite circles; no one would give it up. I’m being terribly unkind asking you to let it go, but you have to let me ask, Josh.”

Joshua closed his eyes. “I don’t care about that.”

If that’s true, then don’t take the job,” Alexi insisted. “I’ll come back to New York when my tour is over. I’ll move permanently.”

What will that cost you?” he asked. “Don’t lie to me, Alexi.”

There was a soft sigh on the other end of the line. “Nothing I can’t get back. I can always teach music. And, I don’t need the stage with you in my life, Josh.”

Joshua shook his head. Alexi was lying to him. He’d be losing more than a music career. Trying to get Alexi to admit it over the phone was frustrating.

Can I think about this?” he asked wondering if Lily would give him more insight into this new problem.

Take all the time you need.” Alexi said in a quiet defeated tone.

I love you,” he said.

I know,” Alexi said and ended the call.

He frowned at his phone. That was the first time Alexi hadn’t told him I love you back. He tried calling Lily but she didn’t answer. He left her a message, hoping she’d call him back.

Professor?” his Teaching Assistant said. He turned to find the young man holding a stack of essay papers from his third year class. He'd forgotten Stan was working in the dining room grading papers. “There are a few papers I need to discuss with you. I hope this is not a bad time.”

It was the worst time, but maybe he needed a distraction. His head was throbbing from all the debating he’d gone through. Then just when he’d decided to call Allegra to accept the offer, Alexi dared to ask him to give it up.

No one would turn down a position with the Zantam Foundation. He’d be an idiot to walk away.

So what was the right thing to do?

Listen to Alexi, and watch him give up the world stage where he thrived, or take the job regardless of Alexi’s concerns. What would that do to their relationship?

You’re frowning, Professor. Are you okay?” Stan, his teaching assistant, asked.

Not sure,” Joshua answered tightly.

He watched Stan arrange the papers his students had written for their latest assignment. It was mid-November. Three weeks before the fall semester ended. He sighed and decided that he and Alexi needed to find a solution in those three weeks. This painful existence was getting unbearable. The longer they stayed apart, the more afraid he got that they were losing each other. He couldn’t bear the thought.

Saturday morning, four days after Alexi’s call, Joshua woke up to his doorbell ringing urgently. Letting out a yawn, he got up from the couch where he’d fallen asleep the night before, going through the changes his editor had suggested in his manuscript. Scratching his chin, he stumbled to the front door when the ringing persisted.

What do you want?” he demanded throwing the door open.

Good morning to you too,” Taka Ichido said. “You are clearly not a morning person.”

Taka, what are you doing here?”

Aren’t you going to invite me in?” Taka flashed him a wide grin and held up a bag of fresh bagels. “I brought you breakfast.”

Joshua stepped back to allow Taka into the house. He closed the door with a frown when Taka walked in as if he owned the place. “Is Alexi alright?”

He’s fine. He should be in Shizuoka right now,” Taka said looking around his living room. The man removed his expensive black heavy coat and dumped it on the couch Joshua had been sleeping on. “Where is the kitchen? You look like you need coffee, I’ll brew you some.”

Joshua frowned when Taka strode through the dining room and into his kitchen. In a black tailored suit, Taka looked like a man about to walk into a boardroom. He followed Taka into the kitchen to find he had removed his suit jacket and was folding the sleeves of his pale blue shirt.

Have a seat, Josh. Lily sent me. She says you left her a distressed message.” Taka took the coffee pot and rinsed it at the sink before he added water.

She was supposed to call me back.”

Taking the pot of water to the coffee maker in the corner, Taka measured coffee as he spoke. “She would have, she just didn’t have the answers you’re looking for.”

I asked her what is going on with Alexi. They spent so much time together, how could she not have the answers? Or did he ask her not to tell me?”

Taka started the coffee maker and shook his head. “You’re definitely suffering. Alexi would never ask Lily to do that for him. Where are the plates?”

Joshua pointed to a cupboard above the coffee maker. “Are you going to tell me what is going on with Alexi? Why does he not want me to take the job?”

Taka got two plates, which he brought to the counter. He unpacked the bagels, removing a container of cream cheese, that he snapped open. He placed a bagel on Joshua’s plate and took one to the toaster. “I like mine toasted.”

Joshua fought back his growl of irritation but Taka must have seen it.

Jeez, grumpy in the morning too,” Taka said with a small smile. “Your questions are not so easy to answer. The reason Lily sent me here is to explain what’s at stake for Alexi.”

He wants to move to New York after his tour.”

I know, the whole family is up in arms,” Taka said with a sigh. “His family has threatened to disinherit him and strike him out of the family registry. That’s a very serious thing, Josh. It would mean he couldn’t see his family again.”

Why would he keep this from me?” Joshua demanded. “I asked him what he’d lose and he said nothing. Why would his parents threaten to do that to him?”

The Kotaru family is not just Hideki, Allegra and Phillip, but also the extended family. They control family assets, boards, and businesses. Alexi’s financial health depends on those businesses, and assets. If they disinherit Alexi, he loses everything. That’s why I’m here today. I am confident you’re the only one who can convince him to stop this madness.”

Taka smiled when his toasted bagel jumped out. He brought the pieces to the table and spread a generous amount of cream cheese on them.

How can I stop him?” Joshua asked.

Take the job,” Taka said taking mugs to the coffee pot.

He asked me not to,” Joshua said quietly.

Then find a way to convince him it’s the best cause of action.” Taka brought him a mug of coffee. “Alexi believes he’s saddling you with a controlling family. He wants to save you by moving here and leaving them behind.”

Joshua sipped his coffee with a frown. “I’m not sure you’re here for Alexi.”

Taka leaned on the table with a sigh. “I’m not losing or gaining anything, Joshua. If Alexi stays or goes, I still keep my position. The Kotaru family continues and the only people to get hurt will be his immediate family and Alexi. I only have his best interests at heart. Years from now, he might end up regretting giving up his family.”

Joshua frowned. “It might ruin our relationship for good.”

Taka held his gaze. “The way I see it, if he loves you enough to give up everything, then he’ll forgive you. Can you honestly be happy knowing that he couldn’t ever go back to Osaka if he moves here like this?”

*****

Happy New Year!! I hope it has been a good one.  Enjoy this chapter and I hope to hear your thoughts, as always.
smile.png Sui.
2013 lilansui (suilanlee)
  • Like 23
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wonderful chapter :worship:

I was glad to see you had new chapters and sad to see the story is completed. On to the last chapter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sui!!! You updated!!! :) But is the next chapter the last? How sad...I really love these guys. =)

 

It seems like Alexi and Josh are both caught between a rock and a hard place. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Alexi cannot possibly give up his family and his financial stability. I think it's horrible that his family would even think of doing this to him.

 

I understand that he feels like his family is going to interfere with his relationship if Josh takes the job, but Josh is a grown man and I think he can handle it. And what's to say that if it just doesn't work out, he can't quit? I think Alexi needs to chill out a bit and let Josh decide what he wants to do.

 

Of course all this is moot b/c you already completed the story. lol On to the last chapter. Sniff, sniff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/23/2014 01:51 AM, Suvitar said:
Wonderful chapter :worship:

I was glad to see you had new chapters and sad to see the story is completed. On to the last chapter.

Thank you Suvitar!! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/23/2014 01:37 PM, Lisa said:
Sui!!! You updated!!! :) But is the next chapter the last? How sad...I really love these guys. =)

 

It seems like Alexi and Josh are both caught between a rock and a hard place. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Alexi cannot possibly give up his family and his financial stability. I think it's horrible that his family would even think of doing this to him.

 

I understand that he feels like his family is going to interfere with his relationship if Josh takes the job, but Josh is a grown man and I think he can handle it. And what's to say that if it just doesn't work out, he can't quit? I think Alexi needs to chill out a bit and let Josh decide what he wants to do.

 

Of course all this is moot b/c you already completed the story. lol On to the last chapter. Sniff, sniff.

Lol, love you little tirade about Alexi. He does worry too much,to me, he's always worried that asking Joshua to deal with his overbearing family would be too much. He feels this so much, he's willing to walk away from them to give a life with Joshua a chance. But Joshua is stronger. So it all works out. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think Joshua should accept Allegra's offer and Alexi seriously need to cool down a bit. I mean he's over-thinking about Allegra's offer. I'm sure Allegra and Philip are doing what is best for everyone.Well, as last chapter is up I hope everything has been sorted out.

 

I loved the beginning of this chapter. The way Joshua and Alexi met. The way Josh was stepping towards Alexi in a dreamy way. The way they made love. It was soooo romantic. I loved it but my favorite scene was the airport scene. It was really breaking my heart to see them getting apart. I read that scene thrice, it was that good.

 

I loved loved loved this chapter and now moving on to the last chapter of this amazing story. Great work, Sui.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/27/2014 12:40 AM, sacredlove said:
I think Joshua should accept Allegra's offer and Alexi seriously need to cool down a bit. I mean he's over-thinking about Allegra's offer. I'm sure Allegra and Philip are doing what is best for everyone.Well, as last chapter is up I hope everything has been sorted out.

 

I loved the beginning of this chapter. The way Joshua and Alexi met. The way Josh was stepping towards Alexi in a dreamy way. The way they made love. It was soooo romantic. I loved it but my favorite scene was the airport scene. It was really breaking my heart to see them getting apart. I read that scene thrice, it was that good.

 

I loved loved loved this chapter and now moving on to the last chapter of this amazing story. Great work, Sui.

Lol, dreamy way,I couldn't help laughing at that comment, I kept thinking that way, that moment when something is happening but it doesn't seem like it is, but that's good romance for you right...lol. I'm going to miss your enthusiastic reviews on this story. I looked forward to them.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..