Jump to content
    LitLover
  • Author
  • 2,574 Words
  • 4,111 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crave - 20. Chapter 20

Chapter 20

 

Jenson’s awareness came back in increments. The first thing he noticed was that he hurt… everywhere. His chest burned with every breath, and his legs felt like pain filled weights. He blinked slowly, allowing his eyes to adjust to the light. He tried to remember where he was. Oh yes… the ship’s medical bay. He took a breath, and felt a painful tug by his ribs. Slowly, the memories started to come back. The flauros attacking him, waking up in the medical bay with his father holding his hand, and his argument with Merrick.

Merrick… a different kind of pain squeezed Jenson’s chest. Merrick was going to Alectera with his team. The vampire remembered extracting a promise from the younger man to come and see him before leaving. Jenson and his father were the experts on the Alecteran culture, and he wanted to share the information he had with Merrick. He had no doubt the he would be an excellent investigator, but the man’s desire to get answers could easily overshadow his diplomatic skills. Jenson was also worried about Merrick’s ability to keep his cool in the face of the Alecterans’ strict rules and protocols. That race could be difficult for the most seasoned diplomats to deal with. Even Jenson’s father, who had centuries of experience with a variety of species, found the Alecteran people to be taxing.

Despite the pain he was in, and the potential for disaster looming, Jenson couldn’t help but smile. Merrick said he loved him. The vampire always knew he was loved, but until recently he thought it was the love a younger man might feel for an older brother. Today, Jenson heard the truth of that love in Merrick’s words, and saw it in the younger man’s eyes. Merrick didn’t just love him… he was in love with Jenson, the same as the vampire was in love with Merrick. Jenson had spent years denying that love because of the guilt he felt for Kel’s tragic fate, but he couldn’t deny it any longer. Too stunned and too medicated to properly respond earlier, he resolved that Merrick wouldn’t leave without knowing his feelings were returned.

When he finally arrived, Jenson was disappointed to see Landin and Kalen with him. He knew both men also needed to be educated on Alecteran customs, but he’d hoped for time to speak with Merrick, alone. Ignoring his disappointment, the vampire greeted the three men and invited them to sit in the chairs someone had placed in the room. Exhaustion, and the pain medication, made it difficult for him to focus, but he was determined to prepare these men as thoroughly as possible.

“Their customs are a variation of a very strict, old English social class structure. They’re a reclusive race, and inherently distrusting of outsiders. Merrick, you should be accepted by the Counsuery because of your status as Commander and a representative of the Council. Kalen and Landin will likely be treated as little better than your pages. Maser Luda is trying to bring his people out into the universe, but he’s faced a lot of opposition. This desire is likely why we’ve been invited to participate in the investigation. He wants to develop a good relationship with us.” Jenson paused to collect his thoughts, which continually threatened to scatter.

“In past dealings with the Counsuery, Rossud, Starghen, and Jolquin were openly antagonistic. Cajor and Kheeven were polite to my face, but I could sense their animosity over my presence. They are the ones I’d watch out for. Rossud, Starghen and Jolguin might be assholes, but at least you know where you stand with them. That doesn't mean I would rule out any of the Counseury as suspects. There would have been too many systems to bypass in getting those animals here for someone in the government not to be involved. Keeghan and Mentach were the most welcoming. I wouldn't consider them allies per se, but I found Keeghan, in particular, was supportive of the settlement of Alect-3, and seemed the most interested in cooperation. He once told me that he worried about how vulnerable his race’s isolationism made them.”

“What about the Senator we met the first day?” Merrick asked, remembering the tall male from the welcoming committee.

Jenson nodded his head. “Senator Elsan is a spokesman. Think of him as their envoy. No Maser has ever left the planet. Instead, when a Maser comes to power they hand-pick a senator to be their liaison to the Counseury and off-world representatives. Elsan may not seem to have any real power, but don't underestimate the man. He holds significant sway on the leader’s opinions.”

“What kind of male is he?” Kalen asked, looking up from him comm pad. “Will he be an ally?”

“He’s fiercely loyal to the leader. It's my understanding they've been friends since childhood.” Jenson could feel the exhaustion pulling at him again. His eyes were having trouble focusing, and it was a struggle to stay awake, but he forced the fatigue away. This meeting was important to ensure Merrick was as prepared and safe as Jenson could make him. “He seems like a good man. Harsh, yes, but most of that harshness appears to stem from his protectiveness over the Maser.”

Jenson could feel Merrick watching him closely, and tried to stifle his yawn. “J, I think you need to get some sleep.” Merrick sounded concerned. “You’re still recovering.”

“But you need to know this,” Jenson protested.

“You’ve given us a lot to work from, and we have access to your mission notes. Permission for the trip was only confirmed a few minutes before coming in here so we’re not even leaving for another few hours. That will give you time to rest,” Merrick insisted. “I’ll make sure to come back and say goodbye properly before we leave,” the younger man teased, giving the vampire a wink.

When Jenson woke again later, the room was quiet. The only sound was the steady beeping of the equipment around him. “Oh good, you’re awake,” said a voice behind his head. He tried to look up and saw a figure enter his field of vision. It was Audra’s medical chief.

“You were a very lucky man, Mr. Shey.” The man looked at him briefly with a smile. “The internal injuries you received are healing more quickly than we expected.”

“When will I be able to leave?” Jenson hated being cooped up in a hospital bed. He wanted to help with the investigation.

“Not soon enough to go with the contingent heading to Alectera, I’m afraid.” The doctor looked up with a slight smirk on his face.

“How…?”

“It’s obvious you want to be a part of the investigation, Envoy, but you’re in no condition to put yourself through that kind of strain.” The doctor came around to the foot of Jenson’s bed. “You need to give yourself time to recover, Mr. Shey.”

Jenson sighed. He knew this, but it didn’t make the fact any easier to accept. He heard a noise at the door, and looked over to see Merrick standing there. “Hey.” The younger man smiled at him and stepped further into the room. “We’re going to be leaving soon.”

Jenson felt a twinge of unease at the thought of Merrick going to Alectera, but knew logically that the man was more than capable of taking care of himself. It didn’t stop Jenson from worrying though. “How long do you have?” he asked, beckoning Merrick closer.

“The shuttle will be here in a few minutes.” Merrick stepped up to the edge of the bed, nodding to the doctor, who said his goodbyes before leaving.

“I need you to be careful.” Jenson reached out and stroked Merrick’s cheek. “I know you’re trained and I know how competent you are, but this is an entire planet of potentially hostile people. Watch your backs.”

Merrick reached up and held the vampire’s hand against his face. “We are well trained, and you gave us a lot of information we’ll need. The three of us will also be reviewing the database you created before we land, to familiarize ourselves with their customs. You’ve prepared me well, J.”

“Merrick, I….” Jenson was interrupted by the door swinging open and Kalen entering the room. “I’m sorry to interrupt, Commander, but the shuttle is here. These folks are pretty impatient to take off again.”

“I guess that’s my cue,” Merrick said with a tight smile. “We’ll be checking in frequently, so try not to worry.” He leaned in and gave Jenson a light hug, seemingly wary of the sensors still attached to the vampire. “I want you to concentrate on getting better and getting out of here,” he whispered.

Before Merrick could move away, Jenson placed his hands on either side of the man’s face. “Merrick,” he said softly. Over Merrick’s shoulder he saw Kalen slip back out the door. “I love you.” He pulled the man down and claimed his lips, throwing as much emotion as he could behind the kiss. It was hungry and desperate and left both men breathless when they finally separated.

“I love you too, J.” The look on Merrick’s face was joyous. He appeared torn as he pulled away. “I should go,” he said, looking towards the entrance. “Everyone’s waiting.”

“Go.” Jenson grabbed Merrick’s hand and squeezed it in his. “Go and find out who’s responsible for this.”

“I promise.”

Hours later Jenson was awake again… and alone. By now the ship carrying Merrick would be halfway to Alectera. Jenson asked his father to bring him his comm pad so he could go through all of the data he had in his private records. If he couldn’t be there, he wanted to make sure Merrick was armed with as much knowledge as could be provided.

Luckily, his healing abilities meant the pain medication he required had significantly decreased, but he was still a long way from being healed. It would likely be a few more days before he was allowed to go back to his quarters, and even longer before he was cleared for duty. Having the ability to regenerate damaged organs was a wonderful technology, but the process was still draining, and Jenson was exhausted almost constantly.

The good news was that the hunters had tracked down the last two flauros. The injured creature was trapped and caged, but the second animal had to be killed. It was unfortunate, since the hunters had a policy of attempting live capture and relocation of the creatures they hunted, but sometimes death couldn’t be prevented.

Audra and the rest of the base crew would be returning to the ship the next morning. Jenson was pleased that the last flauros was able to be captured before there were any more casualties. Although the immediate danger had been dealt with, the vampire knew they couldn’t let their guard down. Who knew what else the culprits responsible had up their sleeves. Jenson prepared a more detailed summary of each Counseur and sent that to Merrick before reluctantly allowing sleep to take him again.

When he woke, he had a message from the younger man saying they’d finally arrived and were in orbit around the planet. The ship wouldn’t be allowed to land until the Maser was available to meet with them. This didn’t surprise Jenson. Visitors to the planet were so rare that it was customary they meet with the Maser before being allowed to stay.

The next twenty-four hours passed in a blur for the vampire. He was warned by the medical staff that his exhaustion would peak as the regeneration process ended. They didn’t exaggerate. His sister had finally arrived, and came to see him before the vehicles had even been unloaded. After chastising him for worrying her she hugged him fiercely, only letting him go with a guilty grin when he winced in pain. Preparations were being made to leave the planet and return to Anglia, but Audra requested permission from the Council to stay in the system in case Merrick’s group needed to be picked up quickly. It was a precaution Jenson was grateful for. The Alecteran government finally agreed to allow the ship to take a high orbit over the planet, but requested that no one attempt to land.

The Council ship was sent back to Anglia, without Jenson’s father. He decided to stay under the pretext that they might require a Councillor for negotiations if the investigation broke down. Jenson didn’t buy the excuse, but was grateful for his father’s presence.

Before leaving on the Council ship Merrick’s father surprised Jenson by stopping in to see him. “Take care of yourself, Jenson,” the man said. “Merrick will never forgive you if you do something to slow down your recovery.” Connor chuckled at what Jenson assumed was the shock on his face. “Merrick’s mother and I are very happy the two of you managed to finally find your way to each other.”

“Connor, I don’t know what to say.”

“My son has been in love with you since he was old enough to realize what it meant.” Merrick’s father looked thoughtful. “I’ve never seen him as happy as he was during our last video conference.” Connor smiled, his eyes still unfocused. “I encouraged him to try and get over you several times over the years, you know?”

Jenson was startled. “You did?”

“Yes,” the man sounded regretful. “I didn’t know about what was really going on in your life, but I knew something was keeping you from accepting Merrick.” Jenson felt a pang of guilt. “I understand now why you were reluctant, and I admire you for it, but at the time, all I knew was my son was hoping for something that might never come to pass. I didn’t want him to spend his life waiting.”

Jenson understood Connor’s position, and even agreed with it, but the thought of Merrick listening to him… actually moving on and finding someone else to love, hurt. Connor must have seen the look on Jenson’s face because he reached out and gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze.

“Don’t mistake me,” he said with a kind look. “Allison and I have a great deal of respect for you and would be honoured to have you as part of our family, but I could see how much it hurt Merrick the longer his feelings went unreturned. The six years you practically disappeared from his life were tough on him. He never said anything to me, but I knew he missed you.”

“Connor…,” Jenson felt the guilt grow inside him. “I never meant to hurt him.”

“We knew that.” Connor sounded very understanding. “We knew you cared about Merrick. You’ve cared for him since he was very young. I knew you must have had your reasons.” The man took a deep breath and stood a little taller, smiling down at the vampire. “But enough of reasons and regrets. I just wanted you to know how happy I am. You’re a good man, Jenson. I can’t think of anyone else I would trust more with Merrick’s heart.”

For the second time in as many days Jenson was too stunned to respond as Merrick’s father turned and left the room. Later he realized that Connor had given Jenson his blessing and for the first time in over a century he thought about his future with hope.

p>Thank you, Gary for everything you do.  I appreciate all of your hard work more than you can know.  :hug:   Thank you to all of you who read and support the story. 

If you have any questions or comments, please drop by the Crave forum

Copyright © 2016 LitLover; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You took a chapter that was about the calm before the storm, and infused it with beautiful emotion. The scene where Jenson says 'I love you' back, and the affirming scene with Merrick's father at the end... lovely, rewarding, and satisfying... well done my friend... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Lit... You are the Queen of Romance! :heart:

 

That moment when J said "I love you" to Merrick and the passionate kiss that followed was so beautiful :wub:
I am so excited to see where this investigation goes, and I look forward to seeing Alectaran culture in full :) I hope it's solved quickly, that way Merrick and J won't be a part for long.

 

Thank you Lit for this great chapter! :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Amazing...I love this story and am increasingly drawn into the world of J and Merrick. I know this is the proverbial calm before the storm and there are probably many more storms to weather before they can be fully together and I look forward to seeing where this goes. I can't wait for the investigation to get underway and to find out who is responsible for the flautos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

That was lovely. I echo what everyone said. To have that moment between J and M where Jenson is the one to say "I love you" and show as much as he could, how much he meant it, was just perfect.
Merrick's dad too, just gave Jenson all that he needed if he had any doubt left.
Now we get to the not so nice stuff..

 

Wonderfully written Lit. If I don't say it enough, I'm so thoroughly enjoying this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think Gary is right, this was a nice little calm before the storm. I fear the next few chapters will not be as pleasant :)

 

And before I go on, FINALLY THEY HAVE SAID IT TO EACH OTHER, :D:rolleyes:
I almost thought you would leave us hanging when there was the interruption but finally they told each other their true feelings. Nice touch from Merrick's dad and let's not kid ourselves as to why Jenson's dad is staying.

 

In a review by proxy, Eagle has said that the chapters he has read are great :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So nice they could clear that up before M had to leave. Now they'll just have to get by that pesky investigation and then their life together can start! I foresee action in the chapter to come!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I don't do romantic as you know but using Js exhausted oerspective to reflect on Ms investigation progression was a kind of romance I can deal with ;-).

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I assume all the Flauros imported were male, so they don't have to worry about any off spring. But perhaps that was another reason for their aggression? :unsure:
I hope knowing Jenson loves him will have a good effect om Merrick in preventing him from losing his temper and doing something reckless. I'm pretty sure we'll have enough drama in store without that. :lol:
I agree with Merrick's dad, Jenson needs to make sure he gets well before his lover returns. Their first night together should be EPIC ! :D:P

Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 11:05 AM, Headstall said:

You took a chapter that was about the calm before the storm, and infused it with beautiful emotion. The scene where Jenson says 'I love you' back, and the affirming scene with Merrick's father at the end... lovely, rewarding, and satisfying... well done my friend... cheers... Gary....

Thank you :*) I'm so pleased that the chapter worked. I was worried it might be a little 'slow' but I wanted to show what Jenson was thinking. The conversation with Merrick's father was unexpected, but Connor insisted.

Thank you so much for all of your support, and another great review, Gary :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 11:48 AM, Drew Espinosa said:

Lit... You are the Queen of Romance! :heart:

 

That moment when J said "I love you" to Merrick and the passionate kiss that followed was so beautiful :wub:

I am so excited to see where this investigation goes, and I look forward to seeing Alectaran culture in full :) I hope it's solved quickly, that way Merrick and J won't be a part for long.

 

Thank you Lit for this great chapter! :hug:

Queen of Romance? That is quite a prestigious title :o I'm very happy you like the scene between Merrick and Jenson. It's been a long time in coming.

Thank you for your support and your review, Drew. I appreciate it :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 12:41 PM, Gene63 said:

Amazing...I love this story and am increasingly drawn into the world of J and Merrick. I know this is the proverbial calm before the storm and there are probably many more storms to weather before they can be fully together and I look forward to seeing where this goes. I can't wait for the investigation to get underway and to find out who is responsible for the flautos.

Thank you, Gene! I can't really say what's coming, but I'm very happy you're enjoying the story :)

Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 12:41 PM, Gene63 said:

Amazing...I love this story and am increasingly drawn into the world of J and Merrick. I know this is the proverbial calm before the storm and there are probably many more storms to weather before they can be fully together and I look forward to seeing where this goes. I can't wait for the investigation to get underway and to find out who is responsible for the flautos.

Thank you, Gene! I can't really say what's coming, but I'm very happy you're enjoying the story :)

Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 04:55 PM, Bucket1 said:

I think Gary is right, this was a nice little calm before the storm. I fear the next few chapters will not be as pleasant :)

 

And before I go on, FINALLY THEY HAVE SAID IT TO EACH OTHER, :D:rolleyes:

I almost thought you would leave us hanging when there was the interruption but finally they told each other their true feelings. Nice touch from Merrick's dad and let's not kid ourselves as to why Jenson's dad is staying.

 

In a review by proxy, Eagle has said that the chapters he has read are great :)

I think Jenson is pretty determined and when he sets his mind to do something, not much is going to stop him. :)

And thank you for passing on Eagle's review by proxy :hug:

Thank you for reviewing and your support. I appreciate both :hug:

Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 01:10 PM, Defiance19 said:

That was lovely. I echo what everyone said. To have that moment between J and M where Jenson is the one to say "I love you" and show as much as he could, how much he meant it, was just perfect.

Merrick's dad too, just gave Jenson all that he needed if he had any doubt left.

Now we get to the not so nice stuff..

 

Wonderfully written Lit. If I don't say it enough, I'm so thoroughly enjoying this.

J was determined that M knew how much he loved him. Merrick's dad saw his son pining for the same man for years... and he does really like J, so he wanted to make sure Jenson knew he approved. He was also determined to have his say :)

Thank you for your review and your support, Def. I appreciate it :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 06:45 PM, Puppilull said:

So nice they could clear that up before M had to leave. Now they'll just have to get by that pesky investigation and then their life together can start! I foresee action in the chapter to come!

I think Merrick wants the investigation done so he knows he finally has someone paying for what happened to Jenson. Right now Jenson, who also wants justice, is more worried about M coming back safe.

Thank you for your review and your support, Puppilull. I appreciate it :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 09:19 PM, JohnAR said:

I don't do romantic as you know but using Js exhausted oerspective to reflect on Ms investigation progression was a kind of romance I can deal with ;-).

I know you're not a fan of romance so I'll take that endorsement ;)

Link to comment
On 02/06/2016 09:33 PM, Timothy M. said:

I assume all the Flauros imported were male, so they don't have to worry about any off spring. But perhaps that was another reason for their aggression? :unsure:

I hope knowing Jenson loves him will have a good effect om Merrick in preventing him from losing his temper and doing something reckless. I'm pretty sure we'll have enough drama in store without that. :lol:

I agree with Merrick's dad, Jenson needs to make sure he gets well before his lover returns. Their first night together should be EPIC ! :D:P

The flauros are highly territorial and the vampires would have been in their perceived territory, so it's not surprising they would defend their 'home'.

I hope knowing Jenson loves him will help, but sometimes things happen that make people lose focus. I can't really say what's going to happen, but it will be an interesting journey.

About the homecoming? :X;)

Thank you for your review and your support, Tim. I appreciate it :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Glad M and J could be honest before M had to leave. Lil creepy dad talking to J, like he did, about his sons feelings. Never knew pple discussed their kids love lives. Just glad I didn't go thru it. Ugh.

Link to comment
On 02/08/2016 02:33 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Glad M and J could be honest before M had to leave. Lil creepy dad talking to J, like he did, about his sons feelings. Never knew pple discussed their kids love lives. Just glad I didn't go thru it. Ugh.

Creepy? lol I think M's dad was, in his kind but very honest way, sending J a message. He saw what J's seeming indecision did to his son. Trust me, now that the message has been delivered I doubt that conversation will happen again. ;)

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

An impressive chapter all around. Jenson and Merrick nnow have expressed their love for each other. It is real and solid now. Jenson has received the blessing of Merrick's parents, though not without a touch of pathos. That brought some tears to my eyes just thinking about what almost might not have been. Good touch there.

 

Now that Merrick and his team have a decent background on Alectra, that gives them a better chance. Merrick's team are going to be very frustrated at being treated as no more than pages. That is going to be hard to deal with. The biggest problem and danger of the mission will be not knowing who to trust. Someone very high up is guiding and looking over the opposition Indirect threats are so much more difficult to deal with. Very often the mere act of dealing with them can cause more danger than the intial threat itself. I'm itching to see where this proceeds from this point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/10/2016 02:51 PM, drpaladin said:

An impressive chapter all around. Jenson and Merrick nnow have expressed their love for each other. It is real and solid now. Jenson has received the blessing of Merrick's parents, though not without a touch of pathos. That brought some tears to my eyes just thinking about what almost might not have been. Good touch there.

 

Now that Merrick and his team have a decent background on Alectra, that gives them a better chance. Merrick's team are going to be very frustrated at being treated as no more than pages. That is going to be hard to deal with. The biggest problem and danger of the mission will be not knowing who to trust. Someone very high up is guiding and looking over the opposition Indirect threats are so much more difficult to deal with. Very often the mere act of dealing with them can cause more danger than the intial threat itself. I'm itching to see where this proceeds from this point.

I think it's good to be reminded sometimes what our decisions and actions could cost us. In this case, it could have easily lost Jenson Merrick. I'm not sure if knowing that would have made Jenson change any of the decisions he made, but the conversation with Connor did give him some perspective on what Merrick was going through.

I agree with you, the biggest problem Merrick and his team are going to have is not knowing who, if anyone, they can trust.

Thank you for another wonderful review and your support. I do appreciate it :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..