Jump to content
    LJH
  • Author
  • 1,960 Words
  • 999 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Footprints - 9. Chapter 9

The End

One week has passed quicker than the swat of a fly and every day has been a challenge. But, what would life be without challenge? In this instance, the challenge has come from nature. Unlike a computer, a botched challenge is not easily turned back to default. There is no “give me back my arm” button. Unlike an artist’s canvass, there is no brush that can sweep over a mistake and make it right. You’ve come to realize that learning to do basic, mediocre chores like brushing teeth, signing a document and putting on clothes, is, in itself, a disadvantage. But each one a disadvantage that can be overcome.

The doctors are pleased. There is no infection. The wound is clean. The stump is “handsome” and responding well to treatment. At last you’re functioning like a healthy person, or as reasonably close to a healthy person as humanly possible.

But it’s not your health that’s eating you from the inside out. It’s Will. His love for you. His loyalty and kindness. His resolve. His absolute faith in you. He’s an old soul. You see the places he’s been and the people he’s met on his journeys. It’s in his eyes. And it’s grabbed you like an amoebic blob.

You cannot flee from this feeling of utter love. Will has restored your faith in the promise that love brings and you want, no, you wish that you had never lost it. At thirty, you should be in a loving relationship, and, if you were straight, you’d probably be married and have two or three children playing in a garden surrounded by a picket fence. As it is, at thirty, your spirituality is wanting. Your life is bereft of soul stuff.

It’s time to reclaim it.

Time to love again.

Time to come clean.

A knock on the door. You expect it’s Will come to take you home. Turning away from the window, you come face to face with the one person you never expected to see.

Corneles.

‘You.’ You don’t have time to listen to his sob story. You have other, pressing matters of the heart to attend. He stands at the door, expecting an invite. You are unable to welcome him.

‘They told me you’re leaving the hospital. That you manage your condition well. I’m proud of you.’

‘What do you want?’

‘I should never have come back I know that. I was hoping that you’d give me a second chance. I don’t deserve that, I know. I also know that you love Will and you’re not in the marketplace. While in prison I cried and cried for us, every day. I hoped you’d find out and maybe come to visit me. Hope faded with each passing day and I realized I should have told you. I never apologized to you, and that worried me too.’

‘I’m going to ask you again, Corneles. What do you want?’

‘Your forgiveness is all I want. I don’t want you to hate me. Please just don’t hate me.’

‘You’ve had four years to think about what you want to say. I haven’t. I don’t hate you. I’m just indifferent. I appreciate that you thought about me every day. At first I was lost without you. I tried to find you. Your family didn’t know where you were, and your company said that they had not heard from you and your friend said that she was under pressure not to betray you. I cried for two years. I told myself over and over again that the only reasonable explanation for you walking out on me was because you hated me. No matter how many times I played it in my mind, no matter how many times I rehearsed the dialogue exchanged between myself and your friend at work the day she told me you’d not be coming back home, and no matter how many times I prayed to turn back time, I knew deep in my heart that there was no way for me to go back in time and change what happened. I had no power over what happened and I realized I had been spending so much energy crying and imagining where you were that I was neglecting myself. I sat down one day, on the beach, staring at the waves and the gulls and the ships and imagined that I had come out of this unscathed. I told myself that there was nothing I could do to change the past. And whenever I felt your memory drifting into my mind, I remembered that I could not change it. I stopped caring. I stopped feeling guilty because it was maybe something I did. I reminded myself that whatever happened was your choice. I had nothing to do with it. I did what I should have done the day you left. I put the past in the past. The only problem I had, was forgetting. So it’s difficult for me to forgive. Forgiving is all about forgetting. I so much wanted to feel not hurt.'

‘I understand. I lost you the day I committed fraud.’

‘Indeed you did. Will is going to be here in a few minutes. It will be the last time we see each other, Corneles.’

‘Baz…there’s another reason I came back to see you. I…I have nowhere to go. I’m sleeping on a park bench, sometimes the beach. I…I…oh god! I need a place to stay. Please help me.’

How can you stand there and watch a man weep for forgiveness? How can you allow this man, who had been your life for several years, go back to a park bench? Your heart weeps for him, but it belongs to another. Has he suffered enough? Has his suffering turned you into a cold shadow of who you were four years previously?

‘Hey Baz. Oh…what’s going on here?’ Will stops just short of bumping into Corneles.

‘Corneles is just leaving,’ you say.

But Will is not convinced. Corneles’ tears spill off his face. His trembling fingers wipe away the drops and he turns to leave.

‘No. Wait. Why are you crying? Will someone please tell me what’s going on here?’

Corneles stops at the door and turns to face Will. ‘I…I’m sorry Will. I should never have come here in the first place.’

‘He has nowhere to go.' Your voice is cold.

‘Where have you been staying these last few days?’ `Will asks, handing him a handkerchief.

‘In the park, on the beach. Wherever I can find shelter.’

‘You’re not serious,’ Will says, collecting your suitcase off the bed.

‘He’s dead serious,’ you say.

‘Baz, you have two spare rooms. Why can’t he stay with you? I mean, he is your ex.’

You feel flushed. Will is more of a man than you could ever be. He makes immediate decisions. He knows he could lose you if Corneles comes to stay with you. You also know that if not for Will, you would have died. There would be no YOU. This would never be happening. You know that your love for him will never die, so strong is your love for him, therefore, no one can be a threat.

‘Can I just say something here?’ Will says, placing the suitcase on the floor. ‘ I have never been in love. But I have had friends and many have walked away from me because of who I am and what I do. Ruwan is the only person who has ever understood me. But I forgive them. Forgiving is perhaps the hardest thing to do. I would imagine that it’s even harder when you are trying to forgive someone as important as an ex lover. I like you Corneles. And Baz, I want you to learn to forgive him. He’s paid his debt to society. He needs a chance.’

‘Let’s get out of here. All of us.’ You head towards the door. In the long corridor, Will turns and sees Corneles still at the door to the room.

‘Hey! Are you coming?’

 

***

 

Moonlight reflects off the calm water. Hand in hand, you walk well away from the surge of water along the beach.

‘Why did you tell him it’s okay to stay with me?’ You ask.

‘Because he’s a desperate man looking for the friend he once had.’

‘Are you sure he doesn’t want more than just friendship?’

‘He wants friends, Baz. He wants security. Wants to be trusted again. This is his way of saying I atone for what I have done. He’s desperately seeking your forgiveness. Only you can change his desperation.’

‘What if he comes between us?’

‘He won’t. I won’t let him.’ Will steps in front of you and touches your face. ‘You are much bigger than just a simple man with simple, average feelings, Baz. You felt sorry for him today. I did too. What you must never forget is that, no matter how much he hurt you, you are human, and humane. That’s why I asked you to accept him. If you didn’t want to, you would have said so. But you didn’t. He means no harm. He knows how I feel about you. He won’t destroy that.’

Without warning you drop to your knees and hold onto Will’s legs with one hand. You’re sobbing and pressing your head against his thigh.

‘Oh my God, Will. I love you. I love you so much. Thank you for coming into my life.’

Will helps you to your feet. He’s smiling. ‘That’s what I have been waiting to hear since the day we met.’

The kiss is gentle, but passionate. His mouth is warm and your tears fall onto his tongue. He rolls his tongue along your cheek and collects the dew, then takes your hand and leads you home.

 

***

 

‘Done!’

Will comes tearing into the studio. ‘I heard you shout out. What?’ He stops dead in his tracks.

‘It’s been gross trying to paint with one hand, but it’s finished. You like it?’

‘That…that’s me.’

‘Yup.’

Will approaches the painting cautiously. He’s diving off the tall rocks of the tidal pool into the ocean. His arms extended, hands clasped together just as he’s about to hit the water. His black swimming trunks. His hair flowing backwards, his powerful legs and body in perfect harmony with the air.

‘It’s beautiful,’ he says. ‘I want it in the bedroom.’

‘Are you sure?’

‘As sure as the day I was born.’

‘Do you think the other two will like it?’

‘Who cares. I love it. It’s mine, not theirs. By the way, I can’t find them. They went off this morning and haven’t come back.’

‘I think they’re in love.’

‘They are going to freak when they see this.’ Will says. You dip the brushes into a turpentine solution.

‘We have to wait a couple of days for it to dry completely, then we can hang it in the bedroom.’

‘Mister Baz man, I am the luckiest guy on earth. ‘ Will says, taking your face in his hands.

‘I am.’

‘I’ve prepared lunch for us. Bet you’re starving.’

‘Yup.’

It’s a warm day. A slight breeze picks up sand off the beach. Two glasses of wine sparkle in the midday light. From the balcony, Will searches for a sign of Ruwan and Corneles.

‘Hey, Baz.’

‘Yup.’

‘Check this out.’

Will points at two men walking hand in hand down the beach, their jeans rolled up, shirtless.

‘Now that’s interesting. What can I say?’

‘I know what I can say.’

‘Spill.’

‘Love is a gift.’

End

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I hope you have enjoyed this story. During the process of writing I decided to change the name of the story to The Swimmer, or just Swimmer, it seemed logical to me. It was a pleasure for me to write. I always knew the story should deal with tragedy, loss and love, a far cry from my usual way of writing. Watch out for more of my IRA thriller, Imagine There's No Heaven, coming soon.
Louis J Harris
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 04/19/2014 04:47 AM, nostic said:
Thank you, it was a beautiful ending.
I thought you'd like it. Thank you
Link to comment
On 04/19/2014 12:15 PM, Gene63 said:
Charming story and a beautiful ending. Thank you!!!
Thank you Gene. I am glad you enjoyed the story. It could have been longer, but I intended it to be a short story so I had to follow up on that.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I loved this story and the ending was just beautiful. I'm a total sucker for a good HEA. Kudos to you for pulling off such an unconventional writing style. Very well done. :):worship:

Link to comment

Beautiful story, Louis. :) I loved the ending.

 

Will is such a smart guy and so insightful. It was hard for Basil to see what Will saw about Corneles b/c he was so stuck on the past and his feelings towards his ex.

 

I'm happy Corneles found love with Ruwan, but most important, I'm glad Basil is able to paint again. :)

Link to comment

I loved the unusual writing voice you used. It was very poetic and graphic. Really a pleasure to read!

I will admit I'm surprised Basil accepted Will's presence so meekly. After the last instalment I was expecting an epic battle...

Link to comment
On 04/20/2014 03:02 PM, Irritable1 said:
I loved the unusual writing voice you used. It was very poetic and graphic. Really a pleasure to read!

I will admit I'm surprised Basil accepted Will's presence so meekly. After the last instalment I was expecting an epic battle...

Maybe I should have included the time lapses. But each scene break does infer a time lapse. Maybe you mean Will accepting Cornele's presence so meekly? The last scene occurs about three weeks later. Thank you for reading Irritable. Glad you enjoyed the journey
Link to comment
On 04/20/2014 01:18 PM, Lisa said:
Beautiful story, Louis. :) I loved the ending.

 

Will is such a smart guy and so insightful. It was hard for Basil to see what Will saw about Corneles b/c he was so stuck on the past and his feelings towards his ex.

 

I'm happy Corneles found love with Ruwan, but most important, I'm glad Basil is able to paint again. :)

Thank you for your ongoing support, Lisa. Yup, I'm glad they all got together. I think Rywan will teach Corneles a lesson or two in discipline. LOL
Link to comment
On 04/20/2014 12:18 AM, Valkyrie said:
I loved this story and the ending was just beautiful. I'm a total sucker for a good HEA. Kudos to you for pulling off such an unconventional writing style. Very well done. :):worship:
Thank you for your comments, Val. Glad you liked it.
Link to comment

I realized when you posted your status today that I'd missed the last chapter of 'Footprints'. So, I was lucky enough to have something beautiful to read to get may weekend off to a good start. It's a lovely ending Louis and I say that in a most respectful way. You know I love your writing and how you portray your character's emotions. Thank you for such a beautiful story:) :worship:

Link to comment

Following up with Irritable1: I see Baz loathe to accept Corneles back. Will intercedes. I hear this argument from Will: Baz, if you reject Corneles in his time of need, you will damage yourself; don't do that.

The most interesting aspect of this story, so far, is the effect on me as reader of the close first person. Baz and Corneles have both changed. At first, I thought Corneles must have changed the most, while in prison perhaps. I reasoned that the actions of Corneles One left Baz in a mess and, by most objective standards, were cowardly and ill considered. Corneles Two has apparently attracted the love of Ruwan. Corneles Two would have to be a much improved model, yes?

Maybe not. Baz of course does not fully see his own changes, and so myabe neither do we. Upon reflection, I think Baz One needed a Corneles I; Baz II needs neither version of Corneles. Will changed Baz a lot. Corneles's make over make be superficial. Good luck, Ruwan.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..