Jump to content
    lomax61
  • Author
  • 1,789 Words
  • 3,744 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kissing the Dragon - 10. Domestic Cavalry

What's the point of having someone on the inside of the Metropolitan Police Force, if you don't call in a favour from time to time (the question is rhetorical)?

“What the hell was that all about?” asks Billy, muting the television as I make my way back into the house. With Mr Waldorf curled up on his lap, he reclines on the corner love seat of the sectional sofa.

“More questions about the break in,” I say, which is partially true. I perch on the sofa in an attempt to lighten my mood. Having been warned by Chaudhary and not wanting to piss anyone off, I choose not to tell Billy anything about Denny. “Our detective seems to think one of us left the front door open.”

“You’re joking? I knew he was a prick as soon as I opened the door.”

“Did you find anything missing?”

“Nope. Nothing of mine was touched.”

“I don’t suppose they’d have had enough time to get upstairs. Seems really odd though. A professional thief breaking in just to steal my crappy old laptop.”

“A professional?”

“Well, that’s what our detective thinks. Because they didn’t break the door down, or smash a window” I say, leaning over and picking up the house phone. “Asked me if you and I were an item.”

“He did not!” says Billy, spinning around to glare at me, his voice so high that poor Mr Waldorf’s sleep fogged head shoots up. “God, that dickhead has really great instincts for a copper. How come you knew him? He wasn’t here earlier. I only remember the blond hunk.”

Not wanting to complicate matters, I answer glibly and not untruthfully.

“No, I’ve met him once before. At the school. On official business.”

Fortunately Billy’s attention span is not a strong point and he is already aiming the remote at the flatscreen. He stops when he sees the phone in my hand.

“You want me to wait?”

“No,” I reply, hitting the speed dial and standing up. “You carry on. I’ll call from the kitchen.”

“Janine Carter-McCann,” comes the professional but familiar voice of my sister as I enter the kitchen and slide the door closed. She insisted on double-barrelling their names following her marriage to Mark Carter, a police sergeant. Typical of her, a take-no-prisoners kind of woman, who even in adulthood I hold in complete admiration. She has a marketing position as a Senior Information Manager with the Metropolitan Police, something she has worked at relentlessly throughout her career. Almost as steadfastly as she threw herself into motherhood. More than once I had called on her during my stint at East Barton, mainly to ask her to coax her people into visiting the homes of kids who regularly turned up to school with bangs and bruises.

“Only me, sis,” I say, and hear her chuckle softly. “You can drop the posh.”

“My baby brother. Perfect timing. Kids have just been put to bed and Mark’s in the bath. How are you doing?” she asks, after which we both rattle off the usual pleasantries.

“And you’ll be interested to hear that I am currently a murder suspect. Hence the call.”

“Of course you are. Isn’t that why you’re considering absconding to South America?”

“I’m serious, Jan. I’ve had a couple of visitations from your lot,” I say, dropping my voice to a more sombre tone and relating the story of Denny. “It’s under wraps at the moment, so I shouldn’t really be calling you. School has grounded me for the week until the dust settles.”

“God, Collie,” she says, after a pause, a baby name only ever used by her. “And I thought you were a monk these days after Vaughan jumped ship.”

My sister is the first one to know the truth about anything including my break-up with Vaughan. Partly because her children were fond of him and familiar with their two uncles turning up as a couple. But also because she provides me with sound and unemotional advice.

“I pretty much am. But the one night I decide to venture out, look what happens. Any suggestions?”

“Yes. Get out more.”

“No, I mean—“

“I know what you mean.”

She asks about the team investigating the case, and I am not surprised that she knows Chaudhary.

“Impressive rise through the ranks. She’s managed to get there despite being a woman and Indian. That’s because not only is she tough but she has good instincts and gets results, brother. You should trust her entirely.”

“I do,” I say, and I mean it. “It’s her numbskull sidekick that’s being a right royal pain in the proverbial.”

“Whitehead. Don’t know him personally but I’ve heard he’s a bit of a maverick. They’ve partnered them up because the Chief thinks she’ll break him in, teach him to slow down and follow procedures. Not a bad cop actually, but has a reputation of biting before barking a warning.”

“Yes, and his fangs are buried deep in my backside at the moment.”

My remark produces a chuckle down the phone before she becomes serious.

“Actually, I shouldn’t be telling you this but he’s on probation right now. I don’t know the full details but he really messed up in his last operation in Tottenham. Almost got one of the officers killed. I only get the official version we give to the media.”

“With more holes in it than—“

“—Bonnie and Clyde’s car. Exactly. But I know he can’t put a foot wrong, which is why he’s chained to a senior officer.”

“He wasn’t when he barged in here tonight.”

“He was alone?”

“Yes,” I reply, and then falter. “Why?”

Janine takes a deep breath and pauses for a moment.

“That’s a complete no-no. He shouldn’t be interviewing you on his own.”

“I wouldn’t mind so much if he wasn’t such a blatant homophobe.”

“The point is he shouldn’t have been there at all, Collie. Not by himself. And he certainly shouldn’t have been putting pressure on you. Do you want me to have a word with Jo?”

“Joe who?”

“Chaudhary.”

“Don’t you dare!” I reply, horrified, because I know she will if I say the word. And the last thing I want is Whitehead thinking I had gone crying to my sister to get him into trouble or tell him to back off. “I’ll deal with it. But look, be honest. Do you think I need to get legal advice? He as good as accused me of killing Denny Harrison.”

“Don’t be daft. If they had clear proof, they’d have taken you in by now. My guess is he’s trying to get an emotional reaction out of you.”

“So what should I do?”

“Don’t suppose you’ve got Vaughan’s contact—”

“Not a chance in hell.”

“Well then, hang tight for now. Let me make some discrete enquiries when I’m in the office tomorrow. If I think you’ve got any cause for concern, I’ll let you know and we can take it from there. But honestly, Colin, right now I wouldn’t worry.”

“Thanks sis. That’s what I needed to hear.”

“So. Back to Buenos Aires. Have you phoned mum yet?”

Groan. No such thing as free advice, my father, the ex-chief accountant, always used to say. I should have guessed we would get around to our mother eventually. My sister acts as a go-between, reminding me to phone her at Christmas, Easter, and on the woman’s birthday. The bare minimum, but enough to keep her off my back. Janine takes the brunt of the moans and groans from her, especially where her wayward, difficult, and unsympathetic son is concerned.

“No. And skip the lecture please.”

“It’s her birthday next month. I’ll email you a reminder.”

“I expect no less. How’s Mark junior’s temper tantrums? Any luck with the tests?”

A guaranteed way to divert Janine’s attention is to throw in a question about her brood.

“Don’t even get me started,” she says, through a deep breath—works every time. “Why does everybody feel the need to label him? He’s a six-year-old boy, for goodness sake. Fortunately for me, the school specialist has been great and we’re trying to manage what he eats to begin with, see if there are food triggers that set him off. Medication is an absolute last resort.”

“Quite right, too.”

Back when Vaughan had been travelling or working long hours, I spent many a Sunday with them. Often Mark senior and I would take the children and stroll to the local park letting Janine prepare lunch in peace. Mark junior was always energetic, squealing with joy and jetting off across the park like a Red Arrow, maybe a tad more erratic than other children around his age. Although I would never say anything to either of them—bringing up children must be tough enough without having family bystanders tossing advice into the mix—I would be more concerned about their daughter Sarah, two years older, quiet and introverted, a lot like me at that age.

I realise then how much I miss those Sundays. Sitting together on the park bench, Mark had never noticed the speculative stares we gleaned from other families, until I discreetly pointed this out to him. A big mistake as it turned out. Highly amused, he missed no opportunity to play up to the gay stereotype; throwing an arm behind me on the bench, patting my knee, picking up little Mark and placing him on my lap. More than once I had to tell him to tone it down, drawing the line when he planted a lingering kiss on my cheek. And, of course, he would take great pleasure in giving Janine a much embellished download over lunch.

“You are lucky you don’t have kids, Collie,” she says, and then goes quiet at the end of the phone. We have been down this road before. Once Vaughan and I had become cocooned together, adoption had become a favourite topic of hers. I adore her kids but she forgets that I deal with grown up children at school every day. Perhaps a big part is the selfishness of my well-ordered existence but I really do not feel strong enough to bear the burden and responsibility of fatherhood. I openly admit to being in complete awe of any man who takes on that particular role.

“Tell you what,” she says. “We’re away this weekend at Marks parents in Devon. But why don’t you come over for lunch one Sunday in March? Kids haven’t seen you in forever.”

“Why not. I’m sure I’ll need the respite by then. And tell Mark I’ll bring a couple of bottles from my wine collection.”

“A deal.”

After we sign off, I feel as though a weight has been lifted. Tiredness creeps up on me quickly and I decide to leave Billy to his crime shows and head to bed.

p>

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you'd like to join in a chat or leave any additional comments about the plot or cast of characters, I have created a forum accessed via on the link below:

http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/40694-kissing-the-dragon-discussion-forum/

Brian (a.k.a. lomax61)

Copyright © 2015 lomax61; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, I think his sister is dead wrong, and I hope she doesn't come to regret it. :no: And did Colin tell her that not only did the bad cop visit alone, he actually admitted to being off duty. Natually he hopes this will keep him out of trouble, but also this means that anything he heard is inadmissible as evidence. This means Colin is well within his rights to call the good cop tomorrow and casually mention the fact that Denny vomited on the way home and he helped out by giving him the bottle of water. Also he might want to contact the cleaners and have them hold off on doing his coat or sign a statement that there was Pernod vomit on it.
And the whole issue of when he arrived home, and did he have time to go back to kill Denny might be academic, because of the alarm on the house, I think most of the systems keep a log of when they were activated and deactivated, and often you have different code numbers, so Billy and the cleaning lady would have different ones. These are the sort of things a good lawyer would point out, and he would be able to pick holes in the detective's theory with ease. But this should be done sooner than later.
Still fascinated and you have outdone ourself in creating a great character in Colin.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

His sister gave him some insights into Whitehead that are interesting. I do think that telling him he had nothing to worry about might have been reassuring, but wrong. I think assuming that because Whitehead was off duty nothing that was said would be admissible in court would be a mistake. On or off duty, a policeman is still a policeman. I believe British law provides that a policeman's notebook is admissible as evidence is court. Entries in a notebook could be made at any time. Colin may be reassured for now, but it's a false security. Things will get worse before they get better. Janine's husband sounds like an interesting character himself. Great chapter.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It was nice to get a glimpse of another part of Colin's life. Seems he has a nice family.
However, Colin should not listen to his sister. I understand he expects she knows what she's talking about, but he should not become complacent. He needs an attorney like yesterday.
She did however, tell us about Whitehead, and his attitude is just as we've seen. But, she described him as a bit of a maverick. Could be, he is on to something, and exploring that theory on his own? Maybe that attitude is a smokescreen or...he's just a bad guy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 08/28/2015 03:32 PM, Timothy M. said:

Well, I think his sister is dead wrong, and I hope she doesn't come to regret it. :no: And did Colin tell her that not only did the bad cop visit alone, he actually admitted to being off duty. Natually he hopes this will keep him out of trouble, but also this means that anything he heard is inadmissible as evidence. This means Colin is well within his rights to call the good cop tomorrow and casually mention the fact that Denny vomited on the way home and he helped out by giving him the bottle of water. Also he might want to contact the cleaners and have them hold off on doing his coat or sign a statement that there was Pernod vomit on it.

And the whole issue of when he arrived home, and did he have time to go back to kill Denny might be academic, because of the alarm on the house, I think most of the systems keep a log of when they were activated and deactivated, and often you have different code numbers, so Billy and the cleaning lady would have different ones. These are the sort of things a good lawyer would point out, and he would be able to pick holes in the detective's theory with ease. But this should be done sooner than later.

Still fascinated and you have outdone ourself in creating a great character in Colin.

Hey Tim. Sisters are always right, lol. You've made some really points about the alarm and Whitehead's visit here. Oddly enough, something that comes up in a conversation with Kit later in the plot is that the British generally are not as quick to summon legal help as our US cousins. Colin not only knows he is innocent, but his ex-partner is a lawyer, so he can get help at the drop of a hat if he feels it's necessary. Maybe he is being a little naive here, especially having Whitehead all but accuse him of murder, but remember that it's not Whitehead who is leading this investigation. Brian

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 08/28/2015 05:23 PM, drpaladin said:

His sister gave him some insights into Whitehead that are interesting. I do think that telling him he had nothing to worry about might have been reassuring, but wrong. I think assuming that because Whitehead was off duty nothing that was said would be admissible in court would be a mistake. On or off duty, a policeman is still a policeman. I believe British law provides that a policeman's notebook is admissible as evidence is court. Entries in a notebook could be made at any time. Colin may be reassured for now, but it's a false security. Things will get worse before they get better. Janine's husband sounds like an interesting character himself. Great chapter.

Hey drpaladin - I'm enjoying reading your reviews almost as much as writing this story. Whitehead is a piece of work and clearly has an agenda. But he's also not doing things by the book so if Colin wants to, he can drop him in the sludge pool. And yes, things will get a lot darker before the sun shines. Brian

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 09/01/2015 12:53 PM, Defiance19 said:

It was nice to get a glimpse of another part of Colin's life. Seems he has a nice family.

However, Colin should not listen to his sister. I understand he expects she knows what she's talking about, but he should not become complacent. He needs an attorney like yesterday.

She did however, tell us about Whitehead, and his attitude is just as we've seen. But, she described him as a bit of a maverick. Could be, he is on to something, and exploring that theory on his own? Maybe that attitude is a smokescreen or...he's just a bad guy.

Tee hee. The beauty of certain characters like Whitehead is that we only see what's on the surface. I know at this point I have a lot of questions about him, such as what happened on his previous case where things went wrong? Why does he instantly assume Colin is guilty, especially when his superior says things to the contrary? What does he know that we don't? An interesting character and we'll see more of him as the story opens up. Brian

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Colin's sister is nice and actually has some information that is useful.  Whitehead is even more than just an asshole.  He is one of those dangerous policemen/women who don't play by the book.  I too am anxious to find out his misdeeds in Tottenham.  I went back to the prologue to see what clue I might have missed.  Two things did stand out.  One was that this involves another person who was on the lookout for anyone who might be on the street.  The second was that the second murder would be an older friend of Tony.  Since there were three planned murders, I wonder who will be next.  The third thing was that the murderer knew a lot about drugs and how to make the murder look like a drug overdose.  I am not sure who that would be in this story, yet.  Whitehead might and is definitely homophobic, but that seems a bit of a stretch at this point.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..