Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 300 Words
  • 5,050 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Question of Tine - 1. What Was and Will Be

In the Templar Hall, only the Keeper of Souls knew the origin of each boy. These records were kept secret until such a time that the Templars needed to know. This allowed no favoritism to develop between Templars and boys of certain provinces, and allowed each boy to rise above his lowly origins with no related stigma.

When a boy chose to serve as a Templar, the Keeper of Souls placed that boy’s records in the Templar Archives where they remained until one of three things happened: the Templar died, the Templar chose to serve an Imperial, or the Templar retired. If the Templar died, his records remained sealed, forever unknown. If he retired, the Keeper of Souls turned the records over to the Templar to do with as he would. If a Templar chose to serve an Imperial or if an Imperial chose an unranked boy, the Keeper of Souls burned those records unread.

Due to this custom, the Keeper of Souls remained blissfully unaware of Tine’s mysterious appearance in the northernmost province on the field of battle after a skirmish between the province and the highly volatile tribe of Zaggurnauts who lived in the northern mountains. Nor would anyone wonder how a child could come to the Templars without so much as a name to call his own. As the parchment burned, the Keeper of Souls tidied up the rest of his library, thus he missed the curled sigil that formed from the rising smoke, a warding and a warning to all of the times to come.

However, the warning did not pass entirely unnoticed. For far to the north, in the mountains that ride the rim of the world, men watched and waited while raising up a generation of warriors in preparation for the battle yet to come.

 

Copyright © 2011 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..