Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 1,053 Words
  • 1,682 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2012 - Summer - Choices Entry

Confluent Dichotomy - 1. Confluent Dichotomy

Choices – they shape our psyche as the accumulation either breaks us or makes us stronger. Life experiences – births, deaths, weddings, divorces, and other things: like the first time he came into my room at night and fucked me while I screamed into the pillow; or the time I slit my wrists in an attempt to make it stop. These things are written on my psyche and I’m not allowed to forget. He brings me gifts to ensure I do not. Nothing of value, people would wonder at that, but little things – trinkets – meaningless things to anyone but us: a new wrist watch, a trinket box, a prism, a shell necklace, a brass ring. I hold in my hands the newest payment for my silence – a journal with a real fountain pen.

Silence I can no longer give.

Silence I will no longer give.

I open my journal and write out the date with the pen, the smooth stroke of ink flowing over the page makes me smile. This is one I will want to remember. Below the date I write – freedom – then I pick up my school books and head toward the bus stop. Today is a B day. I have English, Computer Science, Chemistry, and Gym. We are doing presentations today in English. Mine is on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde – it was assigned, but I couldn’t have picked a better topic. Honestly I couldn’t have. The whole idea for the presentation came to me as I lay on my belly with my ass impaled, his rank breath whispering dirty words in my ear. I mean… I had to think about something besides what was going on, why not an English assignment?

The bus comes. I get on, taking my regular seat in the front, right behind the driver. I have my memory stick on a lanyard around my neck. My entire presentation is on that stick. I can’t lose it. Not now. Not when my freedom depends on it. I try to ignore it so that when the usual suspects make their attempt to destroy my project they won’t succeed. I am not disappointed. Halfway down the hallway from my class I hear them coming. I walk a bit faster, trying not to call attention to myself, yet they sense me. I think they scent fear. The shove was no surprise, nor is the foot that tangles with mine to keep me from catching myself. I fall, face forward, books skittering ahead of me. Laughter. There is always laughter. It vibrates across my skin, another unwanted caress, as crimson heat flushes over me. I gain my knees, then my feet without help. Always without help. One of them has my notebook, but the memory stick is still tucked inside my shirt. He flips through it, looking for something.

“It’s not in here,” he grouses, throwing the notebook back on the floor before turning on me, “didn’t you do the assignment?”

I ignore him and make an attempt to gather my strewn belongings. A foot catches me in the ribs and I fall over on my side. Another catches me in the back. I will not cry. I. Will. Not. Cry. A teacher comes to my rescue. I feel the hot tears dripping off my chin as I kneel in the hallway gathering my books. She sends the onlookers away, but of course, no one has seen anything other than me falling of my own accord. Things like that happen a lot; well, more than a lot. I think the teacher knows that as she hands me a couple tissues and a hall pass to the nurse. I take them both, but I won’t go now. I have English and if I don’t do it today I will not be able to muster the courage to do it tomorrow.

Sitting in the third row of the second column from the windowed wall, I wait for him to call me up to the front. Mr. Stevens is a strange old bird. Up in the front of the room there are index cards with our names on them. As we come in, we pick up our card and place it in the fishbowl. Throughout a normal class, he will pull cards from the fishbowl to answer questions. He says it is fairer than asking for volunteers. For presentations, he pulls our names out one at a time and we go to the front. I requested some AV for my presentation, as did a few other students. If I turn my head, I can see the projector, with its attached laptop, in the back of the classroom. Freedom.

The bass-drum tick-tock in perfect rhythm with the sixty flawlessly spaced staccato ticks, another minute in which my soul is bound.

“Cromer?” Mr. Stevens says, his tone slightly agitated, “are you paying attention son?”

“Sir?” I look around, “um, yes Sir.”

The class snickers.

“You are up after Anthony. You did request the equipment, yes?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Then get it set up while we listen to what Anthony has to say.”

I nod again and stand up to begin walking to the back of the classroom. I look down to watch for anything that might trip me, but nothing does. This time.

The computer set up is very much like the one in the library where I ran a test of the presentation last week. The memory stick is plug-and-play, but the machine has to recognize that it is there. It takes a few minutes, but then the software opens and I see the big 3 on the screen. It is ready to go. I pause it and listen to Anthony compare Frankenstein to the golem tales in Jewish folklore. I didn’t get it. Finally he finishes and the class asks a few questions. Then it was my turn. I click on the icon that operates the projector and the number 3 shows up on the white board. I take a deep breath and press play: 3, 2, 1…

“Confluent Dichotomy – Where Man Meets Beast”

It is a great title. I thought of it myself. I am still smiling at the stunned silence of my classmates. This was the true sound of freedom. It is my choice. Mine. It feels good.

Copyright © 2012 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2012 - Summer - Choices Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Raw, savage, and freeing. You capture the heart ache of school bullies, the shame of abuse, and so much more in so little space. Yet instead of turning it to one where he grabs a gun and harms others, he turns it all to one of freeing himself from the abuse. One of your good ones, Lugh. Glad to see this made it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I almost didn't want to finish reading this, because you captured the pain of your character all too well. It made me feel raw. But the ending shows strength and hope, and for such a short piece you really made a powerful impact. Really great writing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Bravo Lugh. You really made me feel for the character and just want to help him free himself from what has happened to him. This story was absolutely heartbreaking as you can so clearly feel what the character is feeling. It's really a story that pulls the reader in and makes them WANT to know about the character and be there for him. Wonderful job!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very powerful, and compelling read. Bullying angers me to no end, and abuse makes me physically ill, but both topics are not addressed nearly enough. Wish more would have the courage to face and identify those who hurt them in these ways, so the offenders would get punishment they deserved. Great story!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Crumbs that was a bit harrowing. :/ Very emotive Lugh. Amazing writing on a really sensitive and tough subject.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

That was an amazing read Lugh, I feel so many emotions right now. Very powerful read that had me holding my breath ... Well done :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Troubling. He had so little power in his situation yet he found what he had and used it to help himself. A good read.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This was a good story, short and insightful, a good combination of thought and action.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Lugh captured the mind of a person who's constantly being bullied in school well. The end of the story gives a nice lift of the spirit. The end of the story makes me want to ask what does the phrase mean though. A sensitive story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..