Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 825 Words
  • 2,142 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 12. September 9, 2021

September 9 2021

 

 

 

If I have to correct ‘there/their/they’re’ on my Writers’ Craft students’ work one more goddamned time, I’m seriously going to lose it. It’s not even a month in, and I already want to rip my hair out every time I grade some of the shit they hand in to me. Do they no longer teach proper grammar at this goddamned school? I know, I know, that’s such a bullshitty, tropey thing to say but there is no way my writing was this pathetic when I was their age. Hell, when I was younger than they are, because I only teach senior classes. I left here before I got to their age. If only I had some writing samples of mine to compare this too, but I don’t have a shred of anything I ever wrote before my days in Freedom Force. If I had those writing samples, I could either swallow my rage because I was just as bad or show them off to my classes and insult them. If a fuck-up like me could write better than they are when I was two years younger, then they need to put in more effort.

The thing that’s even more frustrating is that I’m harping on them for bad grammar, but at the same time I’m supposed to be getting them to learn how to use better meso- and macrostructure in their writing. They won’t do well in college if they can’t structure an argument properly. It’s not just about stringing useless verbiage together in between a topic sentence and concluding sentence. Oh god, and don’t even get me started on getting them to use critical thinking and some semblance of analytical skills.

Emma and Piotr both told me that I need to stop taking it so personally. Emma actually said that getting so involved and invested in my students work can make it take way more time, effort, and energy to mark things, and I need to set aside more time for myself because living and working here doesn’t mean I should always be working. I snorted in response to the obvious, but I guess I can see where she’s coming from. Maybe I could get away with that for the Lit courses since every student has to to take that class and half of them don’t care about being there. But my Writing students? They want to be good writers. They want good feedback from their instructor. That shit is important, the acknowledgement and encouragement. I sure as hell never felt like I got it. With me, it was always just a storm of red ink telling me how much I suck, but not telling me how to be better. To really make it better. Who knows how my life would have gone if I’d felt like I was actually good at something other than burning shit down back then.

Who fucking knows.

The question, now, is how do I do that? How do I give them feedback on their papers that they will receive (mostly) positively? How do I make it clear that they are constructive criticisms, and not judgements? Well, some things will clearly be judgements when they do something that is objectively wrong, and I do have to give them a grade somehow… still, I just have no clue how to do this. How much do I write onto their papers, anyway? I know that is a big time sink. Maybe I can highlight a few things and then talk with each student individually. No, that may be just as time consuming. I’d probably have to deal with a lot more grade-grubbing too. Maybe the one-on-ones I can do with my writing students, and the lit students get just comments on the paper unless they specifically ask for verbal feedback. Jesus Christ, what the fuck was Emma thinking hiring someone without a BEd or MEd? I have no idea what I’m doing with something as simple as this, and the ones who suffer are the students. They don’t deserve that. They don’t deserve to have a shitty teacher for what are arguably their most important core developmental courses.

I guess the question now becomes how much of my time I’m willing to divert from writing so that I can invest of myself in figuring these things out. Should I dive into some education books and journals? Xi’an probably has some shit for the teachers tucked away somewhere in the library. I can’t be the only one who feels like they are floundering in the dark. Pfft. I doubt it. I don’t know all the faculty here, and I don’t know how long a lot of them have been teaching or what their credentials are, but they probably have more of a right to be doing their job than I do. Why me? Why am I here?

What the fuck was Emma thinking?

 
© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

For all bis bitching and moaning and questioning his worth, John cares, and that is so much more important for a teacher to have than a degree. My guess is he's one of the best teachers they have... if not the best. It'll be a damn shame if he doesn't acknowledge his personal attributes and growth. Good job, buddy... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/31/2016 03:27 PM, Headstall said:

For all bis bitching and moaning and questioning his worth, John cares, and that is so much more important for a teacher to have than a degree. My guess is he's one of the best teachers they have... if not the best. It'll be a damn shame if he doesn't acknowledge his personal attributes and growth. Good job, buddy... cheers... Gary...

John is most definitely a perfectionist, and it bothers him when he feels like he is underperforming. I think he's kind of an all-or-nothing kind of guy, so it frustrates him when he has a idea of what he wants to give but can't give it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

If I have to correct ‘there/their/they’re’ on my Writers’ Craft students’ work one more goddamned time, I’m seriously going to lose it. :rofl:  :rofl: 

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves too, together with 'you're/your' mix-ups. :pinch: 

On one hand I think he's being too hard on himself (but not on the students, lol), but on the other hand it's a sign of a potentially very good teacher. At least he's talking to Emma about it, and I for one have NO doubt about her common sense and kind intentions.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

If I have to correct ‘there/their/they’re’ on my Writers’ Craft students’ work one more goddamned time, I’m seriously going to lose it. :rofl:  :rofl: 

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves too, together with 'you're/your' mix-ups. :pinch: 

On one hand I think he's being too hard on himself (but not on the students, lol), but on the other hand it's a sign of a potentially very good teacher. At least he's talking to Emma about it, and I for one have NO doubt about her common sense and kind intentions.

 

I think grammar issues are a pet peeve of everyone who takes writing seriously. And yet we trip up and make those mistakes too! :blink:

 

He might not believe it right now, but he has more people on side than he thinks. Emma definitely is backing him up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..