Jump to content
    Lux Apollo
  • Author
  • 1,277 Words
  • 2,499 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>

Running for Home - 7. August 24, 2021

August 24, 2021

 

 

 

 

What. The. Fucking. Hell.

Okay, so staff meeting this morning, right?

Apparently, the guy who’s been teaching the juniors business decided to take off, too, a couple weeks ago. The French-Canadian guy teaching economics and the flying class apparently already has too many classes and there was no one else around who had enough specialty to teach the senior courses. I guess Emma had to pull some strings to get a new teacher in time for classes. She said yesterday it would be someone already familiar with the curriculum to be taught and the needs of the school. What she failed to tell me was that the replacement was one Robert Louis Drake.

 

Fuck.

 

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!

 

So Emma’s standing there up front with me sitting right there, doing the whole introduction shit, and I’m about to stand up and say hi and Bobby just fucking waltzes in late and starts joking around with everyone. Of course, everyone here knows him. It’s Bobby. Emma gives him a death glare, but he doesn’t notice and keeps it up as he tries to find somewhere to sit. There was only one seat left, since we were all crammed into Emma’s office instead of in a classroom or somewhere else that would make sense for a meeting this size. So, of course, Bobby nonchalantly goes for the open seat until he sees the person sitting next to it.

Me.

It was priceless, that moment. I honestly think that Bobby almost shat himself, he looked so shocked, then completely freaked out, and then pissed. The temperature in the room dropped, and Bob of course had to ask the obvious, “What the hell is he doing here?”

“Teaching English. Now sit down and shut up like the professional that you are supposed to be,” Emma replied, ever so bitchily. Guess Icepick got the point, because he grumbled and then did exactly that.

So Emma turns back to the whole introducing new staff thing and I have to stand up in front of everybody in this totally uncomfortable silence now that Bobby has identified me as someone to have a snit over. I make an ass of myself, stuttering out that I’m a journalist/writer, went to school here years ago, some of you already know me, blah blah blah. I got through the details Emma told me she wanted me to highlight and then sat the hell down before it could get any worse.

Not that I’d have that kind of luck today.

So on to the next problem: how the fuck was I supposed to pay attention with him sitting next to me? Emma started talking again, but I couldn’t tell you for the life of me what she said. Fuck, it was a nightmare. All this shit from years ago just came flooding back through my mind and I just wanted to shoot myself in the foot. I didn’t spend the last decade of my life letting Dom fuck me and pretending he actually loved me just so Bobby Drake could remind me how much of a failure I am and how I’ll never be good enough just by sitting next to me. He was staring at me, but trying not to look like he was, and that only made me feel worse. I wasn’t going to let myself feel threatened, though. Not by him. No fucking way. But I was pissed that I’d have to deal with this, now. Fuck.

I must have missed at least half of what Emma was saying. Hopefully she’ll have mercy on me and give me a handout of the minutes, or something. I don’t want to fuck up and look like the staff retard because I didn’t register something important. At the same time, I feel like she’d start busting my balls for not being professional enough if I have to ask. I don’t actually care what she thinks, to be honest, but I don’t want to get fired before I’m even out of the starting gate. Maybe I’ll ask Pete first.

Anyway, so the meeting finishes and I try to book it out of there. I figured Bobby would stick around and make small talk with all his friends. After all, during the last few months of my life at this school he proved just how great he was at ignoring me. Well, unless I was bashing Marie or about to set something on fire. Or when we were alone in our room. God forbid he associate with the school pariah in public. Okay, I’m being melodramatic and not giving him enough credit because I’m too fucking jaded about it all. He was my best friend at Xavier’s, but I was just another body in his sea of friends. I probably wouldn’t have even been in the same ocean if we weren’t placed as roommates.

Well, I was wrong again. Not only did Bobby choose to leave right away, he made a point of following right on my heels and forcing me into a confrontation right in the front hallway. There were twelve and thirteen year olds walking around, new kids still scared and confused about this new place they were in. They were still exploring, waiting for classes to start in a few days and here’s one of the teachers menacingly shoving another adult against the wall and threatening them.

“What the hell are you trying to pull?”

“Back off, Ice-pick. I was hired. You got a problem with that, take it up with the boss,” I hissed, glaring daggers at him. All I wanted was to get back to my room and get another hour or two of sleep. And/or wake up to find that Bobby was not, in fact, going to be teaching here this year, and the day so far was just one colossal nightmare.

No deal from Bobby, though. “I didn’t know they were so desperate for teachers this year that they’d hire a criminal.”

“Don’t act all high and mighty, Mr. Boyscout Brigade. All you X-men and your goddamn self-righteous crusader shit have broke at least as many laws as anything I ever did.”

“That’s bullshit and you know it, Allerdyce. I’m warning you, if you even think of doing–”

At that point, Emma walked in and took telepathic control over Bobby to move him away. It was annoying; I could have handled it. I told her I can fight my own battles and to stay out of it. She just rolled her eyes and gave me this knowing look like I'm just another stupid kid in her school. It pissed me the hell off, the fucking bitch. I’m not sure what she said to Bobby after that, because I just took off. Not like I care, anyway.

Good riddance.

You know, when I was considering whether or not to take the job and had basically already decided it was my best option, I had this moment where suddenly my stomach was a ball of ice when I realized Bobby was probably still here. I went to the school website to check, though, and his name wasn’t anywhere to be found in the faculty profiles or anything like that. I did some more research and found him listed as an associate at some bigwig firm in New York, so just assumed it would be safe. It looked like he’d finally moved on, just like me. Well, except that now my moving on has moved me right back into a place that I’m now not so certain I want to be.

 

Fuck.

 
© 1963-2022 Marvel Comics, Walt Disney Company; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Lux Apollo; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to Marvel Comics <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loved it! I could picture the two of them perfectly. The underlying sadness of the confrontation was done beautifully. Bobby needs to cut him some slack. And John has to stop thinking he's a fucktard... he's kind of his own worst enemy right now... moreso than Icepick... well done, buddy... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

What a pair. What was Emma thinking by bringing the two of them together in the same school? There's such a thing as dynamic tension, and then there's a death wish. Nice added tension here.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 6/26/2016 at 3:16 PM, Headstall said:

Loved it! I could picture the two of them perfectly. The underlying sadness of the confrontation was done beautifully. Bobby needs to cut him some slack. And John has to stop thinking he's a fucktard... he's kind of his own worst enemy right now... moreso than Icepick... well done, buddy... cheers... Gary....

 

 

On 1/19/2017 at 6:17 PM, Parker Owens said:

What a pair. What was Emma thinking by bringing the two of them together in the same school? There's such a thing as dynamic tension, and then there's a death wish. Nice added tension here.

 

 

Thanks for reading and reviewing, guys. Cut Emma some slack. She's a very, very savvy woman and she knew exactly what she was doing. It sounds, though, that she was boxed into a tight place as far as hiring Bobby back to teach those classes. She must have some confidence that the two of them will be able to keep things under wraps. Perhaps icily civil, lol.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Obviously, everyone else knows all about the past history between Bobby and St.John . and I haven't got a clue. But guess what, it doesn't matter at all, because you describe it so well, I get the idea at once. :2thumbs:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

 

22 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Obviously, everyone else knows all about the past history between Bobby and St.John . and I haven't got a clue. But guess what, it doesn't matter at all, because you describe it so well, I get the idea at once. :2thumbs:

 

That history gets illuminated more as the story goes on, as you've seen. I hope the tidbits are enough.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..