Jump to content
    MacGreg
  • Author
  • 2,462 Words
  • 3,468 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dissonance - 8. Hypnagogic Dreams

They discovered Katy perched on the wooden swing that hung inside Travis’ enclosed porch. She was huddled with her knees tucked up under her chin, wearing a Colorado State sweatshirt that was several sizes too large for her and a pair of pink slipper boots. As Ben and Travis swooped in through the front screen door, she looked up at them with red, puffy eyes. To Ben’s surprise, Travis ignored her and stepped past her into the house, shutting the door behind him.

Ben hesitated behind, feeling as though he should at least acknowledge her presence. She looked at him expectantly, and he said, “It's cold out here.”

From her expression, it had not been the sentiment she'd been hoping for. She sniffled and shifted her legs, letting them drop down so that she could push the swing with her slipper-covered feet. She no longer appeared as provocative or mature as she had earlier. Her heavy makeup was gone, her hair was pulled back in a sloppy ponytail. She looked more like a vulnerable little mess. Although she'd caused such distress earlier, Ben felt a tinge of empathy for her. She was just a kid.

Travis swung the door back open and leaned against the frame with his arms crossed. He'd removed his coat and boots and stood there in his stockinged feet, glaring at his sister. “Haven't you had enough confrontation for one day?” he demanded.

She stopped swinging long enough to protest, “I'm not looking for a fight!”

“Then go back to the house. Go to bed.”

She sniffled but made no move to leave. When she spoke again, her voice was soft, frail. “I just came to apologize.”

“To Ben?” he said.

She glanced from her brother to Ben as if alarmed by the mere suggestion. Even Ben was caught off-guard. “He deserves an apology, too,” Travis insisted.

Ben threw up a hand. “Hey, look, don't worry about –”

But Travis cut him off mid-sentence. “Apologize to Ben,” he commanded her. “Then maybe we can talk.”

She looked miserable, like a kicked cat. Softly, she said, “I'm sorry, Ben.”

“Hey, it's no problem,” Ben assured her. He meant it. Quietly, he excused himself, wanting to give them some privacy to continue their conversation. He headed over to the next bunkhouse, and from the shadows Derry appeared, sniffing and yipping at his heels. Ben ushered her inside the building, happy to have the company.

The room was like an ice box. He searched for matches to start a fire in the cast-iron stove but realized that there was no kindling anyway and so decided to just leave his coat on. The small bathroom had no soap to be found. Ben relieved himself in the toilet and had to content himself with running his hands under freezing cold water, followed by wiping the dampness on his jeans, because there was also no towel to be found.

From inside his carry-on bag, his mobile phone chirped with messages. Funny how, when caught up in so many other things, he hadn't missed the appendage in his pocket. He wondered if Melissa had had enough willpower to refrain from calling him again. Decided it probably wasn't right to continue ignoring her, so he plucked the Blackberry from inside his clothes. There were several missed calls, including one from his mother, but Melissa was not among them. He had to admit that her restraint was commendable. He pressed the button for her number, and it rang a few times before she answered. “Hi, sunshine, thought maybe you'd forgotten about me.”

“Ah Mel, I could never forget about you.”

“Are you having fun?” she asked.

“Immensely.”

“Going to tell me where you are?”

“Nope.”

“Do you have a printer there, at least?”

“Just email it to me. I'll look it all over when I get back to Aspen.”

“Which will be when?”

“The day after tomorrow.”

She sighed. He heard her scribble something onto a piece of paper and toss a pen down. “Well,” she said, “I appreciate you calling me back, my dear.”

“You're welcome, my dear.”

After hanging up, he hesitated with the phone still in his hand, debating on whether or not to return his mom's call or to even listen to her message. If he was lucky, she hadn't spoken to Audra yet. But why else would she be calling me on vacation...? She wouldn't, unless there was an emergency – or Audra had been incapable of keeping her fucking mouth shut. Although like her two children Gretta Mansfield was an open-minded individual who embraced diversity and elements outside the normal acceptance of society, Ben couldn't imagine she'd ever accept this. Not from him.

Deciding to avoid conversation with her, unwilling to even hear her voice, he dropped the phone back into his bag and plunked down onto the mattress. Scratched Derry behind the ears and stared up into nothing. A yawn escaped his lips, his eyelids became heavy. The ceiling was covered in wood planks, just like the floor, but painted eggshell white, and he started counting the cobwebs that crisscrossed the boards. Images of Christine and disappointing life choices floated in and out of his head in small hypnagogic dreams until he drifted off into a light sleep.

* * * *

When Ben awoke, the room hadn't changed, but Derry was asleep at his feet, and he was colder than he'd been before. In an attempt to warm himself, he stood up and began to circle the room, rubbing his hands together. An outdated Hustler magazine peeked out from under one of the beds, as though purposely planted there – a cowboy cliché for him to find. Flipping through the pages, Ben noted with some pleasure the curvaceous women in various provocative poses. One in particular caught his attention – had porcelain skin, face full of freckles, D-cup breasts, voluptuous hips, and flaming red hair, both above and below. This pin-up girl held an air of innocent seduction about her, as though she was a virgin willing to play.

Ben studied the page with some veneration until the front door scraped open and Travis stepped inside. Derry immediately rushed over to him. Ben felt like a child who'd been caught with his hand in the cookie jar and quickly dropped the magazine onto the nearest bed.

“Hey,” Travis said.

“Hey,” Ben replied. “Everything all right between you two now?”

He was still in his stockinged feet, no coat on. “Yeah. For now. It's fucking freezing in here.” He rubbed his arms.

“I know,” Ben said. “I couldn't find any matches.”

“I thought you'd gone up to the house.”

That option hadn't even entered Ben’s mind. “Oh well,” Ben shrugged, “I figured I'd go ahead and get settled in here.” But he hadn't unpacked a single thing yet, and Travis noticed this.

“You weren't really expecting to sleep in here, were you?” he asked. Ben just looked at him. “Aw, come on!” he laughed, striding over to him. “I never intended for you to actually stay in this flea-infested place!” He swiped Ben’s bag from the bed and gestured for him to grab his snowboard. They returned to his bunkhouse.

During Ben’s absence, Travis had dimmed the lights and started a fire in the wood-burning stove, which was fully ablaze now, permeating an almost suffocating heat across the room. Travis stooped to shut the flue, and as he did so, the height of the flames dropped considerably. Ben shrugged out of his parka and hung it on a wall hook occupied by two other jackets.

The bottle of Jim Beam they’d been sharing earlier sat on the table. Travis filled a shot glass and offered it to him, but Ben held up a hand to decline. His stomach twisted. “I think I've had enough for 24 hours.”

Travis eyed him quizzically, as if deciding whether or not he was joking, then shrugged and swallowed the liquor himself. “A little night cap,” he explained, pouring himself another. It had become evident over the course of the day that the man drank his whiskey like water.

Ben plucked a record from one of the crates, removed it from its sheath, and placed it on the turntable. The sultry voice of Billie Holiday soon poured softly from the speakers. Travis took a seat on the sofa and said, “Good choice.” He lounged back with one stockinged foot propped up on the other, his head slightly tilted sideways, his green eyes locked with Ben’s. Once more, Ben felt winded by the immense, raw energy the man exuded. It made him want to tackle him, kiss him, be in his mouth again. If someone had asked him what the root cause of his hunger was, Ben couldn't have provided an answer. It seemed impossible to define. The red-headed pin-up girl had long since slipped from his mind.

“You still up for snowboarding tomorrow?” Travis asked.

Taking a seat on the recliner to unlace and remove his boots, Ben said, “Absolutely.”

“Great. We'll plan to leave after breakfast. Mom will expect us at the house.”

“Okay.” A moment passed. Ben watched Derry circle her large plaid dog bed in the corner and sniff at it before eventually committing to curling up on the soft fabric.

Travis patted the empty sofa cushion beside him and said, “You're too far away, man.”

Ben slid from the chair. Moved over to sit beside him but leaned away, crossing one leg over the other, resting his elbow on a large woven throw pillow. His body language indicated a coyness that contradicted what he was really feeling. He couldn't justify it, other than he was still resistant to accept this shadow side of himself being pulled into the light.

Travis acted as though nothing were amiss, simply slid right into conversation again. “Your sister and Bryan sure seem like great people.”

“They are,” Ben agreed

“Audra's pregnant?”

“Did you know?” Still in her first trimester, Audra was hardly showing. Since they hadn't discussed the topic yet with Travis, Ben wasn't sure when or how he'd obtained this information, unless he'd overhead Audra's entrance into his room that morning, commenting on how one should never keep a pregnant lady waiting. Like Ben, Travis had been half-awake and hungover, but perhaps he'd been more alert than Ben had given him credit for.

“Call it instinct,” Travis explained. “When you've been around livestock your whole life, you just kind of know these things.”

An odd statement. Ben laughed. “Are you actually comparing my sister to cattle?”

Travis laughed, too. “No. But, hey, we're all creatures meant to procreate, so in essence, yes, I guess I am comparing your sister to cattle. But…” he added with a shake of his finger. “She's much hotter than some of the cows I've seen.”

“Aw, shit, man, do you really believe that we’re all meant to procreate?” An image of Christine crying in his arms as they’d sat in his BMW in front of the abortion clinic slammed forward like a punch. Try as he might, Ben would never be able to wipe that memory from his mind. Seven months ago, he'd almost been a father.

“Yeah, I do,” Travis replied.

“Even you..?”

Travis studied him for a moment, perhaps deciding what direction he was coming from. Then he leaned in a little closer and said, “Just because my purpose is to procreate doesn't mean I have to fulfill that obligation.”

“Wow.” Ben shook his head, baffled. “That's heavy. It's like you're reducing humans to animals.”

“Isn't that what we are?" A crooked grin traveled across his face as he continued. "I may have a slightly different view of the world than most, Ben. Maybe I’ve been around livestock too much. Humans are far more intelligent than other species, but you can't deny that we spend much of our time thinking about, searching for, and committing acts of sex, just like all other creatures. Everything we do revolves around who we're going to fuck and who's gonna fuck us, even though we may deny it, even though we're capable of walking upright, forming languages, thinking in abstract terms. We're creatures satiated by power and sex, often at the same time. Don't you think so?”

“No,” was Ben's succinct reply.

“Are you sure about that?”

Briefly, Ben mulled over this philosophy. Attempted to view it from Travis’ perspective. To reduce humans to mere inhabitants of the earth hungry for power and a good fuck seemed unfair, and yet... Ben had to admit that his own thoughts and actions revolved around sex a hell of a lot. Too much, sometimes, to the point of distraction and physical discomfort, just like how the majority of his day today had been spent.

Travis altered his position on the sofa to face Ben directly. Tucked a leg up under himself and propped an arm on the cushion behind Ben’s head. His sea-green eyes explored Ben’s face, studying him intently. “Be honest. Had you ever considered being with a guy before you met me?” he asked.

A curve ball question to catch Ben off-guard. Ben didn't hesitate with an answer. “No.”

“No..?” he echoed.

Of course Ben knew that Travis knew he was lying. He'd felt a physical pull towards guys often – Seth, Austin, his personal trainer, Guy. Even Derek, his best friend in seventh grade who’d jerked off beside him a bunch of times while watching porn in his basement – but he would never have admitted any of that out loud. Not even to Travis, who was perhaps the one person on earth he could have finally been honest with.

“Well, I'm flattered that you're here with me, then,” Travis said. Lightly, he pinched Ben’s earlobe between his thumb and forefinger. The leather bracelet around his wrist tickled the hairs on Ben’s neck. Travis' eyes were alight, his mouth turned up in a slight grin. He was probably hoping for some gut-wrenching self-proclamation from Ben, but Ben decided to throw him his own curve ball instead. “How'd you get that scar?” he asked, tapping Travis' left temple with a fingertip.

Light dissipated from Travis’ eyes and his expression faltered a fraction as the mood changed within him. “Horse shoe accident,” was his reply, voice thin, lips tight.

He was telling his own lie. It was gratifying to Ben to know that they each had their personal secrets, as yet unrevealed. Made him feel better about continuing on with his pathetic charade of denial.

“But let's not talk about that,” Travis insisted, bringing Ben's face in closer, cupping his scruffy jaw in his hands, touching his mouth to his warm lips. “Better yet, let's not talk at all...”

Ben had no reason to argue.

I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. Cheers.
Copyright © 2017 MacGreg; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

You are quite the tease, ending the chapter there. ;) I like how you portrayed Katy in a different light at the beginning. You showed us who she really is--a teenager with a lot of issues. She made an effort to reach out to her brother, but it's very clear that whatever wounds are between them are far from healed. I loved the phrase "small hypnogogic dreams". Ben has a long way to go for self-acceptance. I'm willing to bet there's going to be a lot of pain in the upcoming chapters. I'm wondering what's going to happen once Ben's vacation is over. Well done again. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

What Valkyrie said, you're quite the tease ending the chapter there,but I'll use my imagination, lol. I like that Ben and Travis continue to play this little dance of being closer and then stepping apart and the complexity being shown in each of them, and Katy, too. No flatness in your characters. I feel like I'm right there in the room (our outside) with your descriptions. I even felt cold while reading about the empty bunkhouse. To me, it showed that Ben needs Travis' warmth more than he knows. Another great chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 05:10 AM, Petey said:

My Like button doesn't seem to work so I thought I'd just say how much I like your story.

Hey Petey, glad you're enjoying this story and following along. Thanks for taking a moment to add a comment. Cheers - Mac

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 05:27 AM, Valkyrie said:

You are quite the tease, ending the chapter there. ;) I like how you portrayed Katy in a different light at the beginning. You showed us who she really is--a teenager with a lot of issues. She made an effort to reach out to her brother, but it's very clear that whatever wounds are between them are far from healed. I loved the phrase "small hypnogogic dreams". Ben has a long way to go for self-acceptance. I'm willing to bet there's going to be a lot of pain in the upcoming chapters. I'm wondering what's going to happen once Ben's vacation is over. Well done again. :)

Just trying to keep you on your toes, Valkyrie. ;-) There are some long roads ahead for everyone; I hope you'll stick around to see. Thanks for the kind words, as always. You're awesome.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 06:24 AM, LarryT said:

What Valkyrie said, you're quite the tease ending the chapter there,but I'll use my imagination, lol. I like that Ben and Travis continue to play this little dance of being closer and then stepping apart and the complexity being shown in each of them, and Katy, too. No flatness in your characters. I feel like I'm right there in the room (our outside) with your descriptions. I even felt cold while reading about the empty bunkhouse. To me, it showed that Ben needs Travis' warmth more than he knows. Another great chapter.

Not trying to tease, just hoping to keep you reading, Larry. Thanks for the feedback, I'm happy to hear that you can "feel" the cold, etc. like you're present in the story. And I love your take on the cold + Ben needing Travis' warmth. Spot on.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I had to look up "hypnagogic." I had to look up one of the medical terms in one of the Advent Calendar stories too. That usually only happens once a week or less here on GA – more often with non-English language words or non-American foods. ;-)

 

It was interesting seeing the B-side (to use the phonograph record metaphor) of Katy – and then you showed us a glimpse of the A-side of Ben with the Hustler magazine. Very clever! ;-)

Link to comment

It's like there's a slow dance going on here, where everyone is learning the moves at the same time. I love to dance :) . A contrite Katy? I wasn't expecting that from the child/vamp, but as Travis pointed out... they were okay... for now. So, Ben isn't lying in his own head. That's a good sign. Is it a bad sign Travis drinks his whiskey like water? I will await the unfolding. Good job so far, Mac... cheers... Gary....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 09:34 AM, droughtquake said:

I had to look up "hypnagogic." I had to look up one of the medical terms in one of the Advent Calendar stories too. That usually only happens once a week or less here on GA – more often with non-English language words or non-American foods. ;-)

 

It was interesting seeing the B-side (to use the phonograph record metaphor) of Katy – and then you showed us a glimpse of the A-side of Ben with the Hustler magazine. Very clever! ;-)

Hypnagogic dreams can be some of the most interesting dreams, because they teeter on the edge between your conscious and unconscious, real and surreal. Anyway, glad I could enhance your vocabulary with it. ;-) And I appreciate your analogy of the phonograph records. Fits well with the story. ;-) Thanks for the comments, droughtquake. - Mac

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/11/2016 02:14 PM, Headstall said:

It's like there's a slow dance going on here, where everyone is learning the moves at the same time. I love to dance :) . A contrite Katy? I wasn't expecting that from the child/vamp, but as Travis pointed out... they were okay... for now. So, Ben isn't lying in his own head. That's a good sign. Is it a bad sign Travis drinks his whiskey like water? I will await the unfolding. Good job so far, Mac... cheers... Gary....

Hi Gary, it is a little like a dance, isn't it? Some toes will get stepped on along the way, some moves will be out of sync, but the hope is that the players won't give up. As for Travis and his whiskey... that sentence was not written offhandedly. Glad it stood out to you. :-) Thanks for you comments, as always. Cheers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/13/2016 02:51 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Interesting. What is the deal with Katy? Lots of questions no answers.. hopefully soon.

More to be revealed. Thanks for sticking along with it, tim. :-)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I wouldn't possibly think that Travis, and especially his mom, would let anyone, no less a big movie star, to stay in the unheated, dirty, sparse bunkhouse. lol

 

Katy, Katy, just a teenager with a ton of hormones. lol See, girls can be just as bad as boys. :lol:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

It's interesting that most of the other reviews mentioned Katy, but none mentioned Christine. That, to me, was the bigger reveal in this chapter, along with the hint of pain from Travis when his scar was mentioned.

 

Ben is showing signs of trauma as a result of Christine's abortion, and Travis is showing similar signs of trauma with respect to that scar. There's some pain coming for both of them...I can feel it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Once again Ben errs on the side of politeness rather than honesty. Why does he tell Katy it was OK? No it fucking well wasn't OK, :pissed: and she just proved how little she understood that by having to be prompted by Travis to apologize to Ben. He should have told her the ceaseless curiosity and the kiss was not acceptable but he forgave her. Now she hasn't learnt a thing.
Last time I stopped reading this story after chapter, as I disliked Travis drinking and Ben being a dishonest coward, but I'll give it another try. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 01/17/2017 02:47 PM, Graeme said:

It's interesting that most of the other reviews mentioned Katy, but none mentioned Christine. That, to me, was the bigger reveal in this chapter, along with the hint of pain from Travis when his scar was mentioned.

 

Ben is showing signs of trauma as a result of Christine's abortion, and Travis is showing similar signs of trauma with respect to that scar. There's some pain coming for both of them...I can feel it.

Hey Graeme, I appreciate your thoughts regarding Christine, the abortion, and the scar on Travis' face. You are right that these are points of pain for each character, as of yet unrevealed. There is history that still needs to be uncovered. Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/29/2017 10:49 PM, Timothy M. said:

Once again Ben errs on the side of politeness rather than honesty. Why does he tell Katy it was OK? No it fucking well wasn't OK, :pissed: and she just proved how little she understood that by having to be prompted by Travis to apologize to Ben. He should have told her the ceaseless curiosity and the kiss was not acceptable but he forgave her. Now she hasn't learnt a thing.

Last time I stopped reading this story after chapter, as I disliked Travis drinking and Ben being a dishonest coward, but I'll give it another try. :)

Again, Timothy, I'm happy that you're giving it another try. There is no smooth approach to this story or to these complicated characters, but hopefully, in the end, they won't disappoint. Ben has a lot to be honest about, but he's not there yet. Cheers - Mac

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 12/18/2016 04:52 AM, Lisa said:

I wouldn't possibly think that Travis, and especially his mom, would let anyone, no less a big movie star, to stay in the unheated, dirty, sparse bunkhouse. lol

 

Katy, Katy, just a teenager with a ton of hormones. lol See, girls can be just as bad as boys. :lol:

Lisa, oops, sorry, I never responded to this review! Yes, I suppose girls with a ton of hormones can be just as bad as boys, and Katy has more than her share - but it's not just about the physical with her, as we've discovered in subsequent chapters. Physical + psychological + teenage angst = challenging. Cheers - Mac

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hmm. Getting some uncertain signals from the situation between Katy and Travis. Don't know about that just yet.

 

Also mixed signals from Ben. It's one thing to be in denial, but another to be totally honest with yourself but still play the part of the ignorant one. Travis isn't fooled.

 

Travis has his own baggage, as yet not fully off the train and placed in plain view on the platform. Yep, at this point, the pool is a little muddy all around, and Derry the clearest character here!

 

But that's good. I love to have to think about what's going on, and you are making me think. I suspect a few things, but i don't know. Shows you are doing your job! :)

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

Hmm. Getting some uncertain signals from the situation between Katy and Travis. Don't know about that just yet.

 

Also mixed signals from Ben. It's one thing to be in denial, but another to be totally honest with yourself but still play the part of the ignorant one. Travis isn't fooled.

 

Travis has his own baggage, as yet not fully off the train and placed in plain view on the platform. Yep, at this point, the pool is a little muddy all around, and Derry the clearest character here!

 

But that's good. I love to have to think about what's going on, and you are making me think. I suspect a few things, but i don't know. Shows you are doing your job! :)

 

If I told it all in the beginning, then it wouldn't be a very interesting read. :) Thanks for your comments, Geron. Baggage not yet placed on the platform - I love the expression. It's apropos. The "baggage" will come up soon enough. It's kind of weird, reading comments from older chapters, because I feel the story has progressed so much farther, and yet, you don't know those parts yet. Hope you'll continue to read and enjoy. Cheers - Mac

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What is Ben really doing there with Travis??? Travis is hiding A LOT more than just how he got that scar. There's baggage on both side methinks 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This was another great chapter. Still loving the interaction between the two young men. There's a Prince and the Pauper feel to this at times. Ben's Hollywood life, and Travis' Ranch life, that Ben is finding he is liking. Or that's what I'm seeing.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 5/3/2019 at 9:44 PM, BHopper2 said:

This was another great chapter. Still loving the interaction between the two young men. There's a Prince and the Pauper feel to this at times. Ben's Hollywood life, and Travis' Ranch life, that Ben is finding he is liking. Or that's what I'm seeing.

I like that analogy, and there is some truth to it. Thanks again for reading, A.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..