Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,898 Words
  • 7,975 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

9.11 - 53. Chapter 53

September 29, 2001

Malibu, CA

 

“You sure you don’t mind me sleeping here?” John asked.

“No,” I said. “I like having you here.” I felt myself blushing, even as I said that.

“Dude, Ryan and Shiloh remind me of Darius and Ella,” he said, making me chuckle. We’d hung out at the Santa Monica Pier with them tonight.

“Will and Zach are almost as bad,” I grumbled. They’d been totally into each other, and while it probably looked like they were just buds to the rest of the world, it was obvious to the rest of us that they were fucking.

“I cannot believe Will is with him,” John said, shaking his head. “That dude is bad news.”

“I told you that he’d show Will his dragon, and Will would melt,” I joked, making him laugh.

“His dragon wasn’t all that big,” John teased.

“No shit,” I agreed, making us laugh some more. We lay in bed, bullshitting for awhile, mostly making fun of Will and Zach, until John yawned.

“Night,” he said, and rolled over on his side, facing away from me.

“Night,” I said, and did the same thing. It was like the same thing we’d done Friday night, in that he waited for a little bit, then rolled over and spooned up behind me. It was really sweet, and I really appreciated having him here.

Only tonight, something was different. I could feel it in the way he held me, in the way his hand gently stroked my chest instead of just sitting there. He sighed and moved closer to me, so I could feel something poking me in the ass. It was his hard dick; it wasn’t in my crack, but it was jabbed against my cheek. I could feel how horny he was, and that excited and terrified me. His hands moved ever so slowly across my chest until I felt his fingers flit across my nipple. My body reacted on its own, as I moaned and moved back into him.

My moan had encouraged him, and now I felt his lips on my neck, and his nose was nuzzling behind my ear. I moaned again, but more intensely, and now I was putty in his hands. Or hand, I should say, as he slid his hand seductively down my abdomen, teasing my belly button and making me giggle, then lower, until it found my hard dick poking out of my boxers. “Nice,” he said, and began to slowly and sensuously stroke me.

Almost as soon as he started, he brought me off. “Aaahhh!” I said loudly, in what sounded like a scream to me, but probably wasn’t, as I blew my load in his hand. I lay there panting and shaking, totally overwhelmed with the pleasure he’d given me.

He rolled away from me and lay on his back, then pulled off his boxers. He spread his legs wide and used my cum to lubricate his shaft as he stroked his own cock. I rolled over onto my side and stared at him, amazed at how cute he was. I wanted to reach out and touch him, but I couldn’t. It was like my body wouldn’t let me. “Ungh!” he cried, and blasted his own load all over his chest. I just stared, transfixed at the sight of him in ecstasy.

He smiled at me sheepishly, then got up and went to the bathroom. I heard the sink running, and then the faucet turned off. He came sauntering out, all cleaned up, and smiled at me. “Thanks for helping me out.”

“Dude, thank you,” I said. I rolled back over onto my back and thought about what had just happened. That was the first sexual encounter I’d had with another dude that wasn’t forced on me. I liked it. I liked it a lot. But then the memories of those other times flooded back, and as hard as I tried to stop the tears, I couldn’t. I rolled over further, so I was back on my side facing away from him again.

He must have seen me crying, or heard me. “Are you OK?”

“I’m fine,” I said, but it was a lie, since I was crying and my voice cracked.

“I’m sorry about that. I thought it was fun,” he said, all upset.

“It was,” I objected.

“I should probably go,” he said, misinterpreting my emotional state and thinking I was upset with him. He started to get out of bed but I rolled over and grabbed his hand, squeezing way too hard.

“No!” I said, probably more of a shout. He gave me a worried look. “I need you to stay here.” I had to sound freakishly desperate at that point. I probably was.

“You sure?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said, nodding. “I just remembered something that made me sad. It wasn’t you.”

“It’s cool,” he said. “You have a lot of shit to deal with.”

I nodded, and then let him hug me. I fell asleep like that, in his arms, and I felt safe and loved; but when I woke up in the morning, he was already up, and that made me sad, wondering if by freaking out, I’d damaged our friendship.

 

September 30, 2001

Malibu, CA

       

I lay on my back while Zach all but hopped up and down on my cock, his ass massaging it like one of those massage chairs. “Fuck!” I yelled, as I blasted my load into the condom, yet one more amazing orgasm this guy had given me. He didn’t stop for a minute, but just kept on going, determined to get off before my dick got too sensitive.

I smiled at him as his eyes rolled back in his head and his dick got even bigger, so big it was red and pulsing. I reached up and grabbed it, stroking it a few times, and he lost it, shooting his seed out with such a force that the first few blasts splattered all over my face, while the rest of it made a small lake on my chest. He sat on my dick, panting, trying to catch his breath. “That was good,” he said with a smile, cracking me up.

“Good?” I asked playfully, as I pushed him off me. “Fucking great, you mean.”

“Maybe,” he said, as I shook my head. I got up and headed to the elevator, and felt his footsteps behind me. His body pressed against mine as we descended to the lower level. “You’ve been fucking amazing this weekend.”

“So have you,” I said, even as I giggled like a girl. We walked into the bathroom and straight into the shower. It was a fun shower, where I got to enjoy myself by washing his studly body. When we’d first hooked up, he’d been all withdrawn, with all these rules about not wanting to kiss me, and not wanting to show any sign of affection at all, but I’d cured him of that pretty quickly. Now he was genuinely intimate, leaning in to kiss me a few times as we bathed. It was almost like he’d learned to relax. I snickered to myself, thinking of how I’d had to teach Tony and Kyle to do that, too. I was getting pretty good at training men.

We got out of the shower and got dressed, then spent some time in front of the mirror making sure we looked good. “Dude, you are so hot,” he said, as he nibbled on the back of my neck.

“So are you,” I said lamely, even as I started to get hard all over again. “What’s on your agenda for the day?” I asked, to change the subject so I didn’t end up fucking him again.

“We’re flying out after breakfast,” he grumbled.

“Bummer. We’re heading out soon too,” I said, even though I wasn’t sure exactly what our schedule was. I wanted to get back to Paly and get organized since I had school tomorrow.

“Thanks for showing me a good time this weekend,” he said.

“Thanks for showing me you’re not a complete asshole,” I joked. Only he didn’t laugh, and then I felt bad. “Dude, I was joking.”

He shrugged, and made to leave, but I stopped him. “I don’t let my guard down with many people, but I let it down with you.” He said that in an almost belligerent way, like he was pissed at me.

“Yeah, you did, and it was awesome,” I said. “But don’t go getting all moody on me.” I led him over to the couch and sat down with him.

“I’m hungry,” he bitched, to avoid talking to me.

“What do you want me to say to you? That I like you?”

“Do you?” he asked, and shot me his playful grin. It hid the insecurities behind the mask, the fear that I didn’t.

“Yeah, I do.” Now the grin got more genuine. “I like you enough to invite you out to visit sometime.”

“You mean you’re gonna fly me out here just so you can fuck me?” he asked, acting like the wolf that he was.

“Yeah,” I said. He leaned in and kissed me.

“I’ll bet I take you up on it,” he said, leering at me.

“You’ve got all kinds of money now, so you can pay to fly your own bad self out here,” I teased.

“I don’t have shit,” he groused.

“You’ve got a million bucks in a trust.”

“Yeah, but I won’t see a dime of it until I’m twenty-five,” he said. I stared at him, challenging that with my eyes. “My mom and dad think that if I have zero cash I won’t get into any trouble.”

“Did you have cash before?” I asked.

“Duh,” he said, to emphasize how stupid that theory was. “And then when Gathan’s in charge, I won’t get shit for sure. He hates my guts.”

“Why does he hate you?” I asked, because it seemed like he did.

“Because I’m the only one in the family who’s even close to giving him any competition. You’ve seen my brother and my cousins. They’re total dorks. They have looks, or brains, or they’re athletic, but not all three. Only Gathan and I have that going on.”

“You’re saying he’s jealous of you?” That didn’t really seem like Gathan, but then again, he was pretty high-testosterone.

“I’m his only rival, so he has to slap me down. He’s done it all my life, and he’ll do it again with this trust. That’s why I was so pissed off when I heard he was the one taking over. It’s like they’re all saying he won. And he’ll be able to hang this over my head until I’m thirty fucking years old. That’s a fucking eternity.”

“Yeah, but you did fuck up pretty bad these past six months,” I said.

“You think he never fucked up? He just managed to hide it better than I did.” He got all pensive. “He’s not as extreme as me, so he didn’t take things as far as I did. But he still fucked up.”

“We all do,” I said, a stupid platitude. “Maybe he’ll do better. Besides, my dad will keep him in line until he takes over.”

“He’s got your whole family trained to be his bitch, just like he did with my parents,” he spat. He must have seen me get all pissed off and defensive at that, so he explained, or tried to. “He comes off like this Mr. Goody Two Shoes responsible dude, and then they all love him and think he’s the bomb, and then he can fuck the rest of us over for the fun of it.”

“I haven’t seen Gathan do that,” I said. “Maybe he’s different now.”

“Yeah, and maybe a cow just flew out of my ass,” he snapped.

“Want me to check?” I flirted, making him chuckle, and bringing him out of his bad mood.

“Let’s eat, and see if we have time for one more fuck before I leave.”

“You’re on,” I said, and we raced out of my room and down the stairs. They’d set up a buffet this morning, since there were so many of us. We filled up our plates with food and carried them into the dining room and sat there eating, ignoring the other people around us. We went back for seconds, stuffing food into our mouths until we were full.

“You ready to go?” Wally asked Zach.

“I just gotta get my stuff together. I’ll be ready in fifteen minutes,” he said.

“Then go do it,” Wally said gruffly.

“I’ll help you,” I said. He’d already packed up. We ran back up to my room and in no time at all, I had a condom on and I was plowing his sweet ass again. Fifteen minutes later found us in the foyer, looking flushed, with Zach toting his bag over his shoulder. “Take care of yourself,” I said. I gave him a big hug, one which he returned.

“You too,” he said. I watched him carefully, and his eyes were actually watery as he strode out to the limo, as if he was anxious to get to the car before the others noticed. I said goodbye to Wally, Clara, and the rest of their brood, then made to walk up the stairs to my room.

“We are planning to have lunch at one, and then we are heading back,” Stef said.

“Sounds good,” I said. I went back upstairs, changed my sheets, and took a long nap. My alarm woke me up at noon, but I hit the snooze button and just lay there, smiling at how much I’d enjoyed Zach. The second time the alarm went off, I hit it and went down to the bathroom to spiff up my hair. I managed to make it down to lunch at 1:02, which didn’t worry me too much, since the schedule in Malibu was never as rigid as the schedule at Escorial.

“I was worried I was going to have to send someone up to roust you,” Stef said with a smile.

“Is that an atomic clock?” I asked, looking at the timepiece that said I was late and challenging its accuracy.

“It is not,” he said. “But we are leaving at 1:45, as determined by that clock, so you would be wise to eat with some alacrity.” I almost laughed at him for using big words like that. It showed how close he and Grand really were, the way they picked up on each other’s vocabulary. Stef would use big words from time to time, and Grand would sometimes state his sentences in a slightly backward way, like Stef did. It was cute.

“I’ll make it,” I said. I sat down and grabbed a couple of sandwiches and started eating, and only after I’d gulped one down did I bother to look around the table. I was getting some pretty unpleasant looks from John and JJ and from Gathan too. It was funny, because if we’d stared at JJ like that, he’d ultimately get all annoyed and lash out at us, but I wasn’t going to give them that satisfaction. Grand was reading something intently, while Darius was trying to ignore everyone. Instead of dealing with them, I focused on my father. “So we still going to Hawaii next weekend?”

“That’s my plan,” he said. He was doing better than he had been, but that wasn’t saying much. He was still down, but in a hollow, lifeless kind of way. It was like he was just going through the motions.

“Awesome!” I said enthusiastically, trying to prop him up. I was glad he was going, because surfing definitely seemed to be good for him. It was almost a shame we weren’t staying here in Malibu next to the waves, but if we did, he’d be reminded of Robbie, and that would be really hard on him. I’d have to think of something else besides surfing to drag his mind away from his pain.

“I was wondering if you would mind if we joined you?” Stef asked.

“You don’t have to ask,” I said pleasantly. “Who are ‘we’?”

“JP and I,” he said. Grand looked up from his journal briefly and nodded, then resumed reading it. “Unless the rest of you want to go as well?”

“I’ve got to catch up on my homework,” Gathan said. That made sense, even though he seemed kind of bitchy about it.

“Will Zach be there?” JJ asked snidely.

“I don’t know,” I said calmly, ignoring his taunt. “I haven’t invited him. Yet.”

“Your house should be complete when we get there,” Stef said, to move us beyond JJ’s bitchiness.

“That’s what I heard,” I said. Malcolm had called me and told me they’d have it done this week. I think they’d moved up their timetable to do that for me, to try and help me get over the nightmare that was 9-11. That wouldn’t do it, but it was really thoughtful anyway.

“Well if Zach’s going to be there, I’m not going,” JJ said, in his smarmiest way. I could read him perfectly, as well as I could read Zach. He was in one of his shit-disturbing moods, and he was determined to bug me about Zach until he started an argument.

“Then don’t go,” I said to him simply, knowing that would annoy him more than anything. It really got to him when he was trying to bug someone and it didn’t work.

“So are you with him now?” Gathan asked me.

So now he was jumping on the bandwagon of people trying to piss me off? What the fuck was wrong with these people. “With who?”

“With Zach,” he said in a nasty way, and then kind of exploded. “You don’t know how dangerous he is. He set Kristen up that night I busted her blowing that dude. He’s evil.”

“How do you know he set her up?” I asked, wondering if he had proof.

“It was pretty obvious,” he said dismissively, like I should believe his conclusions without him having to tell me why.

“Explain it to me,” I said, glaring at him. I noticed that Grand appeared to be tuned out of our conversation, but I knew he was listening. Stef had that expression on his face that said he was amused, because he enjoyed a little controversy, as long as it didn’t get out of hand. My dad looked on nervously, while Darius looked annoyed, probably because he didn’t like Gathan all that much, and because he didn’t want to hear about my sex life. JJ, on the other hand, was happy as could be, now that he’d engineered the perfect situation. He’d gotten Gathan to fight the battle for him, only since he didn’t like Gathan, he’d be thrilled that all my anger would be directed at Gathan and not him.

Just as I’d pretty much analyzed the battlefield, John decided to step in. He and JJ had been all into each other this weekend, so it figured he’d bust my balls too. “So now you’re going to defend him?”

“Defend him from what?” And with that, they’d managed to piss me off. “Who the fuck are you people to question me anyway? Who gave you the right to decide who I decide to sleep with?”

“We’re just worried about you,” Gathan said sheepishly, and the others looked away, avoiding my eyes since they knew they’d managed to really fire me up.

“I can take care of myself,” I said. “But for the record, he was nice to me, I was nice to him, and we had a great time together.”

“I think what they are trying to do is explain that they’ve had bad experiences with him in the past, and they don’t want you to get hurt,” Dad said nervously, knowing he was walking into an argument that he shouldn’t. But he was pretty wounded, so I let his comment slide. If he’d have said that to me a month ago, I’d have focused totally on him and just let him have it. That momentarily freaked me out, but I put it aside, telling myself I’d think about our twisted relationship later.

“I’ve had bad experiences with him in the past too,” I said as I looked straight at John. That was enough to shut him up, so I turned back to the others. “So I should just write him off, and not give him another chance? That’s it? Is that how you all operate? One mistake, and that’s it, you’re done?”

“Look, I grew up with him, and I know him,” Gathan said. “What did he ask you for? What did he hit you up for?” He asked me that with a knowing look, as if he was sure Zach was milking me for some cash. He was patronizing me, and he was seriously fueling my temper.

I looked at Gathan intensely, so he could see how annoyed I was with him. “He didn’t ask me for anything. Not a goddam thing.”

“He will,” Gathan said, being smarmy. “You watch. He will.”

“He probably will,” I said. “So what?”

“He’ll take advantage of you,” he said.

“He’ll take advantage of me? Seriously? How’s he going to do that?” I asked him.

“He’ll start out by being really nice to you, then he’ll ask you for shit, and when you don’t give him what he wants, he’ll work you and work you until you do,” he said. I blinked at him, so amazed that he thought that would work with me.

“You know what really pisses me off about this?” I asked loudly, loudly enough to get a slightly annoyed look from Grand. “You guys are all assuming that I’m too stupid to figure him out. You think he’s smarter than me, and that I’m some vulnerable princess in his hands.”

“You’re definitely no princess,” Darius said, chuckling, and I actually smiled briefly at that.

“That’s not what I’m saying...” Gathan started.

I cut him off. “Here’s the deal. Let me lay this out for you assholes. I’m just as smart as you are,” I said, glaring at him, “and I’m probably smarter than you are,” I said, glaring at John, “and I know I’m smarter than you are,” I said, glaring at JJ, and really pissing him off. “So you three can just bite me.”

“Fine,” Gathan said. “Fine. If you don’t want me to care about you, that’s just fine.”

“Look at you, throwing that emotional blackmail shit at me. Did you do that to Zach? Maybe that’s why he was such a dick to you.” I knew that would really get him going, and it did. I looked at my father. “You set up a trust for Zach, and you’re going to put him in charge of it? How is that fair? He won’t use that money to help Zach. He’ll keep it from him and use it like a weapon.”

“I will not!” Gathan said.

“Oh no? You think he’s scum. Why would you cut him a check to help him out?” I asked.

“I’m hoping that maybe he’ll change,” he said all self-righteously.

“Well maybe he already has, and you just haven’t given him a chance to show you that he has,” I said.

“I trust Gathan’s judgment,” Dad said.

“He certainly is good at judging,” I agreed, but not how he meant it. “Takes after Robbie’s mom. Must be a Hayes family trait.” I hadn’t meant to say that, to insert Robbie into this and to take us to that extremely sad place.

“You really think he’s changed? You really think that?” Gathan demanded, and he did it loudly enough that Grand cleared his throat.

“I do,” I said.

“Since when?” he asked me, being a smartass. “Since when did he have this big epiphany?” I raised my eyebrow to mock him for using such a big word.

“Who are his heroes?” I asked. “Who did he look up to?”

That stopped him cold, because he knew, and he didn’t want to name them. Only we were all looking at him, so he didn’t really have a choice. He sat there silently, not answering me, until it became uncomfortable. “The car is here to take us to the plane,” Stef said, trying to save him.

“I’m not going anywhere until he answers my question,” I said firmly, throwing down the gauntlet.

“Jeff and Robbie,” Gathan mumbled. Zach had lain there after one of our orgasms and told me all about Jeff Hayes and what a great football player he was, but with Robbie it was less about football and more about his overall success in life.

“I don’t know about you, asshole, but if one of the guys I admired the most, if one of my heroes died, it would pretty much change how I looked at things,” I spat at him. And then we all got somber again, as we realized that when Robbie died, we’d all indeed lost one of our heroes.

“You act like he cares about you, he doesn’t,” Gathan insisted. “He doesn’t have feelings for anyone but himself.”

“I know he’s totally into himself, and I know that he probably doesn’t really give a shit about me.” I didn’t really believe that; I knew he did care about people in a weird, stunted way. “But that doesn’t matter. What matters is that he has feelings. So why should I step on them? Why should I try to kick him in the balls, just to hurt him? How is that the right thing to do?”

“You haven’t seen how he works,” Gathan said.

“Yeah, I have,” I said, and stared at John, making him feel like shit again, since I sensed he was getting ready to jump back into this fray. That neutered him, so I turned my attention back to Gathan. “Dude, are you going to carry a grudge forever? You’re never going to give him a chance?”

“Whatever,” Gathan said, to try and end the conversation, and to more or less admit defeat.

“So when he asks you for money from his trust, what are you going to say?” I asked, since he’d dodged that point.

“It’s up to Wally and Clara,” Dad said. “That’s how I set it up.” He suddenly seemed to realize that he’d inserted himself into this nightmare dynamic that was the Hayes family.

“Has he asked them, or you, for money yet?” I demanded. Dad didn’t say anything, but he did glance at Gathan, which threatened to really set me off. “Has he?”

“He asked us for money to buy a car,” Dad said, as if that was the worst possible thing he could ever do.

“And what did you say?”

“If they buy him a car, he’ll get into all kinds of trouble,” Gathan said. “Just like he did in Claremont.”

“He didn’t have a car in Claremont, and he got in trouble there,” I said logically. I saw Grand trying not to smile at my reasoning.

“He’s in a good environment there, where his host family can keep an eye on him,” Gathan said.

“Sounds like he’s in jail,” I said dourly.

“It’s not like that,” Gathan said.

“Regardless, he’s not in Claremont now, he’s back east,” I said. “Maybe since he’s not living at home, he needs a way to get around.” Did none of these brain trusts ever stop to think about that?

“Wally and Clara think he’s doing just fine,” Dad said, as if Wally and Clara Hayes were the brightest beacons on the planet. Like being Claremont’s best sanitation engineer made Wally an expert on teen psychology.

I looked at Stef. “I’m going to go get in the limo. Is Gathan going with us, or is he going to the airport on his high horse?” I glanced at JJ to notice he was enjoying this immensely.

“Ha ha ha,” Gathan said sarcastically. “How’d you get around the fact that he grabs his ankles like a pro, and then claims he’s not gay?”

“How do you know he does that?” I challenged. Was Gathan fucking around with Zach? It sure seemed like it, at least from the way he was freaking out. I tried to ignore how hot that would be.

“Let’s go,” Dad said, now totally frustrated by our conversation. We all headed out to the limo and piled in.

“In the end, you’ll see I’m right about him,” Gathan said all self-righteously.

“But for right now, I just think you’re a douchebag,” I said to him. Darius and JJ both tried to hide their smiles.

 

October 1, 2001

Escorial

 

I came into the dining room just as the clock struck 7:00. I was a little out of breath, which made Stef raise an eyebrow. “And what have you been doing?”

“It’s a surprise,” I said, smiling.

“For whom?” Grand asked.

“For Dad,” I said, looking at him.

“What is it?” he asked.

“I’ll show you after dinner,” I promised. “Where are Wade and Matt?”

“They had a late hockey practice and went out to eat with all the goons,” Tiffany said.

“That’s why we can’t get any ice time in the evenings,” JJ said, being snippy.

“So after dinner, I have to see this surprise, then we have to review those deals,” Dad said to Stef.

“I think they can wait until tomorrow,” Stef said.

“I’d like to get them out of the way. Tomorrow we’ll be engrossed in planning the big move,” he said.

“Move?” I asked curiously.

“With the continuing downturn in IPO activity here in the Valley, we were able to acquire new headquarters at a bargain price,” Stef said.

“You didn’t tell us about this?” I asked, pretty shocked.

He shrugged. “It did not seem like something we should really emphasize.” In other words, with all the crap we’d been through with 9-11, moving into new offices was a bit too festive.

“When is moving day?” I asked.

“We are in the midst of building out the space,” Stef said. “That is where we reorganize the internal walls and offices to suit our organization.”

“Where is this new building?” Darius asked.

“On Sand Hill Road,” Dad said. “Pretty much all the venture capital firms are there, but we’ve always had our headquarters in Los Altos. This puts us in the center of things, and it’s closer to home.” I noted how he referred to Escorial as ‘home’.

“We probably should have made this move a long time ago,” Stef said, “but we were so comfortable in our other building.”

“Will you be there tomorrow?” I asked him.

“For some of the day,” he said. “Why?”

“I want to stop by and see it after school,” I told him.

“Call me when you are on your way,” he said simply.

“Perhaps I will join you as well,” Grand said. I looked at him carefully, and it seemed that he was as surprised by this as I was. They hadn’t even told Grand?

“So when did this deal go down?” I asked.

“We were able to snap up the building and close on it during the first week of September,” Dad said. “It was a good deal, so we bought the building, but we hadn’t decided if we were moving there or not until recently.”

“Recently?” I asked.

“Until last week,” he said.

“You seem reluctant to explain your reasoning,” Grand said, letting Dad and Stef know that these flippant replies weren’t going to work.

Dad sighed. “The NASDAQ is in the toilet, but Stef thinks it’s hit the bottom, or it’s near there. We think that after the initial 9-11 attack aftermath, the markets will rebound. We want to build up the firm, to be ready for new opportunities.” He and Stef both looked sheepish, as if somehow they were predators, trying to cash in on the horror that was the terror attacks.

“Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do in business? Spot opportunities and take advantage of them?” I asked.

“Rape and pillage, you mean,” Tiffany said in her smarmy way.

“Right,” Dad said, but I’d given him and Stef a pass to not be down about this.

“I will look forward to seeing your new halls of capitalism,” Grand pronounced, making us chuckle.

Dinner was nice after that, but as soon as we were done, Dad was all over me. “So what’s this surprise?” He was so funny, and so predictable. He hated secrets that he didn’t know. Stef and I shared a meaningful smile.

“An early birthday present,” I said. I led them down the hall, Grand, Dad, and Stef, and they picked up on where I was going pretty quickly. We got to the door to the attic and I opened it, leading them up the stairs.

Dad walked in and looked around curiously, since not much had really changed since the days when it had been modified into a studio for him. “What’s different?”

“You haven’t been up here for a while,” I said. “All your paint was old, and so was your canvas, so I replaced it. It’s all pretty much the same; it’s just that your supplies are new.”

Dad opened the drawers and looked at the new tubes of paint and smiled. “Thanks. That was a really thoughtful present.”

“I thought it might give you something to do in your spare time,” I said. And it might help him to heal some of his wounds. And with that, he ignored us, and started setting up a framed piece of canvas on the easel, then began to get his paint out and blend colors together. We left him there, leaving silently, and he didn’t seem to notice we were gone.

“That was a very good idea, and a very nice thing to do,” Stef said, smiling at me.

“There’s no ocean, so he needed something to do besides surfing,” I said nonchalantly. Grand patted my back as we walked down the hall, a very warm and validating gesture.

Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A most brilliant chapter.

 

The characters are so real, vibrant and deep. Zach is no longer a one dimensional douche, he is a normal, confused, scared, belligerent, horny teen. He sees Gathan as the manipulator, so now we have doubts about Gathan's purity.

 

Gathan's comebacks now we doubt if Zach was sincere, but not too much because Will picked up on the clues in Zach's body language and moist eyes as he was leaving. So it seems maybe Zach is just an ordinary guy who wants to be loved and accepted, but doesn't really know how to properly express himself given the time and culture he grew up in.

 

I loved the cute little scene with John and JJ, but I wish JJ had explained to John what was going on. I assume John and Marie don't know JJ was molested, just Jack and Claire. It would be nice to see John and JJ get closer and John be someone who is there for JJ because he wants to be.

 

Looks like Brad and Stef are moving to make a killing in the aftermath of 9-11. It isn't predatory, its business. I know of a couple of billion dollar companies that were bought essentially pennies on the dollar, but the thousands of the employees of those companies didn't care that the investors lost their shirts or that their stock options were now worth zilch when they had been millionaires on paper a year earlier, they were grateful to have jobs and that the companies lived on.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A really well done chapter, I really like the scene with JJ and John and much like Tim; I have to wonder what John read into it. I think it was really nice to see a vulnerable side to JJ. He is turing out to be a very engaging individual. I would like to see more from his point of view.

 

I still don't really trust Zach. I do realize that much of what he did can be explained away in some way but he has always seemed a little predatory to me. I have to believe that Will sees something in him that the rest of us have missed.

 

I have never been a huge Gathan fan but Zach really stuck it to him a few times and I could see why he would have a hard time trusting Zach or moving past the past. I have to wonder if the past is going to come back to bite both of them in unexpected ways.

 

Will really understands what Brad needs and seems to be doing everything he can to help him cope with Robbie's death. I just hope he doesn't take to much on himself. I have to admit he reminds me more and more of JP in several ways. I hope that he keeps getting to interact with JP in more and varied situations.

 

A lot of people made a lot of money after 9/11. It was neither good or bad just a fact of life. There are always winners and losers in business.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I understand that Gathan and Brad along with JJ don't believe in Zach's transformation. I must say I wonder about that too, however, Will is a lot smarter than they think. This is interesting that Brad and now Darhan don't given Will credit in growing up. Over the last year Will has matured a lot. Not the broken hearted lad after Berto. The other thing is that he is willing to give most people a second chance. He started doing that with John and now is trying it with Zach. However it seems like his eyes are open. Will is a kind person, a giving person, but also not a person who will let people walk over him. Not his father , not Gathan and not Zach.

 

I liked JJ and John. Maybe John, who is a caring person, can bring JJ out of his bitchy moods. Thanks again Mark for a wonderful chapter as this family, we all love, trys to heal.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This chapter was well worth the wait! Reviews that preceded mine pretty much hit all of the points that I was thinking so I will not add anything else here except that, I do believe there's a whole lot of action to be seen just around the corner…

 

:P

 

thank you Mark and team Arbour!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 02:54 PM, PrivateTim said:
A most brilliant chapter.

 

The characters are so real, vibrant and deep. Zach is no longer a one dimensional douche, he is a normal, confused, scared, belligerent, horny teen. He sees Gathan as the manipulator, so now we have doubts about Gathan's purity.

 

Gathan's comebacks now we doubt if Zach was sincere, but not too much because Will picked up on the clues in Zach's body language and moist eyes as he was leaving. So it seems maybe Zach is just an ordinary guy who wants to be loved and accepted, but doesn't really know how to properly express himself given the time and culture he grew up in.

 

I loved the cute little scene with John and JJ, but I wish JJ had explained to John what was going on. I assume John and Marie don't know JJ was molested, just Jack and Claire. It would be nice to see John and JJ get closer and John be someone who is there for JJ because he wants to be.

 

Looks like Brad and Stef are moving to make a killing in the aftermath of 9-11. It isn't predatory, its business. I know of a couple of billion dollar companies that were bought essentially pennies on the dollar, but the thousands of the employees of those companies didn't care that the investors lost their shirts or that their stock options were now worth zilch when they had been millionaires on paper a year earlier, they were grateful to have jobs and that the companies lived on.

Thanks so much for the review! I guess this means I amused you like I was supposed to. ☺

 

The thing about Zach is that we don’t know how much of his ‘changes’ is really a change, since we’ve only seen him from Gathan and Will’s perspective, when Will hated him. We also don’t know how much of any change is due to the trauma of 9-11 (that general feel good effect), or if in fact much of the problems Zach seems to have stem from a really intense sibling rivalry with Gathan. Any of those things is plausible.

 

John and Marie don’t know about JJ, so John wouldn’t have completely understood why JJ acted the way he did, but based on the nightmare they’ve just been through, I’m betting John was willing to write it off as a weird aberration.

 

And finally, the thing about business deals like this is that Brad and Stef are potentially making money off of those people who ignored all the financial warning signs in 1999-2000, and are still ignoring them, riding the wave all the way to the bottom. That doesn’t make them predatory, it means the other people were either unlucky or stupid.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 03:35 PM, centexhairysub said:
A really well done chapter, I really like the scene with JJ and John and much like Tim; I have to wonder what John read into it. I think it was really nice to see a vulnerable side to JJ. He is turing out to be a very engaging individual. I would like to see more from his point of view.

 

I still don't really trust Zach. I do realize that much of what he did can be explained away in some way but he has always seemed a little predatory to me. I have to believe that Will sees something in him that the rest of us have missed.

 

I have never been a huge Gathan fan but Zach really stuck it to him a few times and I could see why he would have a hard time trusting Zach or moving past the past. I have to wonder if the past is going to come back to bite both of them in unexpected ways.

 

Will really understands what Brad needs and seems to be doing everything he can to help him cope with Robbie's death. I just hope he doesn't take to much on himself. I have to admit he reminds me more and more of JP in several ways. I hope that he keeps getting to interact with JP in more and varied situations.

 

A lot of people made a lot of money after 9/11. It was neither good or bad just a fact of life. There are always winners and losers in business.

Thanks C, for the awesome review. I've brought JJ into this story slowly (as a narrator) and it's been fun doing that, since I get to build his character out as I go.

 

Like I said to Tim, I wonder how much of Zach's true 'evilness' is simply due to the sibling rivalry from hell with Gathan. With two brothers, I think Will gets that it's a possibility.

 

Will may be like JP in that he's trying to train his mind to think logically, and that is helping him control his outbursts, but he still has that "fight for what's right!" mode that was so Tonto.

The nice father-son bond that Brad and Will are rebuilding is my favorite part of this.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 04:06 PM, rjo said:
I understand that Gathan and Brad along with JJ don't believe in Zach's transformation. I must say I wonder about that too, however, Will is a lot smarter than they think. This is interesting that Brad and now Darhan don't given Will credit in growing up. Over the last year Will has matured a lot. Not the broken hearted lad after Berto. The other thing is that he is willing to give most people a second chance. He started doing that with John and now is trying it with Zach. However it seems like his eyes are open. Will is a kind person, a giving person, but also not a person who will let people walk over him. Not his father , not Gathan and not Zach.

 

I liked JJ and John. Maybe John, who is a caring person, can bring JJ out of his bitchy moods. Thanks again Mark for a wonderful chapter as this family, we all love, trys to heal.

I think you did a good analysis of Will. Will's gotten to the cognitive point where he can look at a guy like Zach and analyze the risks and the benefits of their relationship. So he sees Zach as potentially dangerous on the one hand, but he probably realizes that Zach's out for two things: sex and cash. Will doesn't have a problem giving up either one of those. ;-)
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 04:11 PM, KevinD said:
This chapter was well worth the wait! Reviews that preceded mine pretty much hit all of the points that I was thinking so I will not add anything else here except that, I do believe there's a whole lot of action to be seen just around the corner…

 

:P

 

thank you Mark and team Arbour!

Thanks for the review! We're in the beginning of a 'scene sequence' (my term) and so I ran that out for a few chapters. So there's a few more in the editing mill.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thanks for another fine chapter. The scene with JJ and John was bittersweet, I wondered from the wording was this JJ's first consensual experience with another guy or just ever?

Gathan and Zach obviously have some issues to deal with and honestly I don't think either opinion of the other is too reliable until they sort things out.

Will, ah Will, wouldn't he have an easier time just hearing people out and then ignoring their advice if he doesn't agree, rather than arguing with everyone? I guess that's the Brad in him. Though eventually, we all have to realize its the people who loves us that hold the most power to annoy us immeasurably with unsolicited advice. It's like acknowledging life isn't fair, sure one can argue that it should be, but it's a quixotic endeavor so why not just accept it and move on.

 

Looking forward to more, no pressure...well maybe a little pressure :P.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 06:11 PM, Miles Long said:
Thanks for another fine chapter. The scene with JJ and John was bittersweet, I wondered from the wording was this JJ's first consensual experience with another guy or just ever?

Gathan and Zach obviously have some issues to deal with and honestly I don't think either opinion of the other is too reliable until they sort things out.

Will, ah Will, wouldn't he have an easier time just hearing people out and then ignoring their advice if he doesn't agree, rather than arguing with everyone? I guess that's the Brad in him. Though eventually, we all have to realize its the people who loves us that hold the most power to annoy us immeasurably with unsolicited advice. It's like acknowledging life isn't fair, sure one can argue that it should be, but it's a quixotic endeavor so why not just accept it and move on.

 

Looking forward to more, no pressure...well maybe a little pressure :P.

Thanks for the review!

 

Will's that guy who's going to stand up for himself, and what he thinks is right, even if it means a battle. Diplomacy comes a distant second. The only thing that will probably save him from a constant ass kicking (besides the guards) is that he seems to be able to read people pretty well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This was beautiful. Can't wait for more from John and JJ. I can see why nobody trusts Zack, I mean he wasn't exactly an angel and he still isn't, but I do think that they are over the top.

I think Stef and Brad will make a lot of money on the 9/11 aftermath. I can't wait to read more about that, I think it is kind of interesting.

The rest has already been said in the forum. Great work, keep it up!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I have not posted for a few chapters, but this, and the last few, chapters have been excellent.

 

I have one thought on Will and his relationship with his family that I would like very much to hear your opinion on, and this Zach situation is a perfect way to bring it up:

 

First, Will is considerably more mature than most boys his age when it comes to two important categories-his ability to read and understand other people’s motives (empathy), and his ability to understand the reasons for his own feelings and motives (introspection). He is also intelligent and in control of himself enough to combine those into an understanding of his relationships with others which is extremely accurate and realistic. His family consistently underestimates this in him, and thus underestimates his level of understanding as to events.

 

Second, Will has a borderline clinical unbalance when it comes to his emotional reaction to anything he perceives as external control, manipulation, or underestimation of his abilities and capabilities by people he cares about. This is something that his family has been slow to come to grips with, and, given his maturity in other areas, have difficulty in remembering when dealing with him.

 

The danger with this set of circumstances seems to me to be that, misplaced concern by his family about the first point will lead them to take actions which will cause problems along the line of the second point. To use Zach as an example, Will has a very good understanding of Zach. More than enough to handle anything that Zach may throw his way. His family, however, does not have a good understanding of how well Will understands Zach. And by making their view clear to Will, his family is taking Will into an emotional place that he does not have a good understanding of, or control over.

 

Moreover, like most emotional weak spots, Will is not well aware of his, and assumes that the decisions he is making are as rational as always, even when his buttons are being pushed. Any anger he feels he labels and dismisses, usually under the guise of maintaining his independence.

 

This is one of the classic conditions by which the road to hell is paved with bad intentions. The only way Will is going to realistically lose perspective on a relationship with somebody like Zach is if something his family does sets him off emotionally, and having lost his perspective on the relationship, he becomes open to manipulation in a way he would not normally. To put it another way, the only way that Will is not going to be able to handle somebody like Zach is if his family lets him know that they think he can’t handle somebody like Zach.

 

The really damaging potential is for the family to set Will off by telling him that he can’t handle something, driving him to a place where he can’t handle it, and then feeling vindicated when things blow up because Will could not handle them, as they initially thought. With no one in a position to see that everything which has transpired is the result of reaping the fruit of bitter seeds.

 

Well, that's my two cents worth of psychobabble for the week,

As Always, I hope this finds you and yours well,

Jason

Link to comment

Damn! Our little boy has grown up even more...... Will always had the looks and the brains but his temper and impulsiveness where his Achilles heel. The way you've presented him, in the post escape from New York time, shows someone even more self aware and working hard on his weak points. I can see the next chapter focusing on him and Wade. They actually seem very similar to me in personality. Guess I've always seen a lot of myself in Will.

Until you twist the plots on us again, love the fact that Will has been more of a top and hope that continues; love the fact that he knew the right things to say in order to stop John, JJ (still a disgusting bitchy asshole in my book) and to a degree Gathan (even if he ends up being right about Zach it seems he has given up on him already and that is a no no); love that JP seems ready to be a bit more active in family affairs instead of doing it all behind the scenes (his leadership is definitely needed at times) and love that you softened Zach a bit and that it seems he got more from Will than just a good pounding.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I',m always conflicted about how much of what I have to say belongs here and how much in the forum discussions.

This much I KNOW belongs here - I enjoy your writing and look forward to every word. Thank you for another great chapter!

Love that Will is trying to look objectively at Zach and his apparent changes. He seems to have a pretty good handle on the fact that people CAN change but sometimes only appear to have done so.

I can understand why Will found it annoying that the entire family seems to be lining up against Zach, and treating Will like he is incapable of seeing the truth. Blind spots are odd things - what they seem to think are Will's may just turn out to be their own. We shall see where that one leads.

It's odd how Will can be so caring and insightful as to be taking such good care of Brad - something several family members seem to have noticed, yet they still think he is in need of being protected from Zach.

Just what is so bad about a teenage boy wanting his own wheels? Admittedly it has been a long time since I was that age, but i clearly remember everyone, guys and gals alike, begging, pleading, working and saving for cars of our own. Gathan had one at that age and used it to slight Zach when he left for college by leaving it to a better liked younger cousin if i recall. Gathan isn't the saint everyone currently seems to think right now. I can see there being a basis for Zach's belief that Gathan is going to be more than difficult about his trust.

And then there is the whole "I am not gay" angle. Some guys may understand their sexuality early on, others have to figure it out. I seem to remember a time when Gathan was saying about the same things while sleeping with Stef, playing around with Will and professing to love Kristin all at the same time. What is so different that he gets to condemn Zach for the same thoughts?

Ok - I have rambled on about things that probably should be in the forum long enough. Thank you for another wonderful chapter. I love when you set things in motion and leave us to speculate for a bit as you have done here! Well done sir!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great job. Zach has more than convinced Will to give him a chance and raised his concerns about Gathan. Gathan somewhat validated those concerns and the conversation alerted Brad, Steff and Grand.

The interlude with John at the start of the chapter was sweet and sad with the intrusive thoughts afterwards.

The replenishing of Brad 's studio was a very nice touch and that he immediately set a canvas and mixing paint was all the thanks Will could want.

Two thumbs up! :2thumbs:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Starting to see something between Zach and Gathan

“He’ll start out by being really nice to you, then he’ll ask you for shit, and when you don’t give him what he wants, he’ll work you and work you until you do,” he said. I blinked at him, so amazed that he thought that would work with me.

.....

“Ha ha ha,” Gathan said sarcastically. “How’d you get around the fact that he grabs his ankles like a pro, and then claims he’s not gay?”

This story does have a smattering of incest and I think there's more to be known about these two.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 07:09 PM, Sammy Blue said:
This was beautiful. Can't wait for more from John and JJ. I can see why nobody trusts Zack, I mean he wasn't exactly an angel and he still isn't, but I do think that they are over the top.

I think Stef and Brad will make a lot of money on the 9/11 aftermath. I can't wait to read more about that, I think it is kind of interesting.

The rest has already been said in the forum. Great work, keep it up!

Thanks Sammy. I think that they're being uptight because they see Zach as a predator, and when Will acts like he's not, they think that he's thinking with his dick, and not with his brain.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 08:32 PM, said:
I have not posted for a few chapters, but this, and the last few, chapters have been excellent.

 

I have one thought on Will and his relationship with his family that I would like very much to hear your opinion on, and this Zach situation is a perfect way to bring it up:

 

First, Will is considerably more mature than most boys his age when it comes to two important categories-his ability to read and understand other people’s motives (empathy), and his ability to understand the reasons for his own feelings and motives (introspection). He is also intelligent and in control of himself enough to combine those into an understanding of his relationships with others which is extremely accurate and realistic. His family consistently underestimates this in him, and thus underestimates his level of understanding as to events.

 

Second, Will has a borderline clinical unbalance when it comes to his emotional reaction to anything he perceives as external control, manipulation, or underestimation of his abilities and capabilities by people he cares about. This is something that his family has been slow to come to grips with, and, given his maturity in other areas, have difficulty in remembering when dealing with him.

 

The danger with this set of circumstances seems to me to be that, misplaced concern by his family about the first point will lead them to take actions which will cause problems along the line of the second point. To use Zach as an example, Will has a very good understanding of Zach. More than enough to handle anything that Zach may throw his way. His family, however, does not have a good understanding of how well Will understands Zach. And by making their view clear to Will, his family is taking Will into an emotional place that he does not have a good understanding of, or control over.

 

Moreover, like most emotional weak spots, Will is not well aware of his, and assumes that the decisions he is making are as rational as always, even when his buttons are being pushed. Any anger he feels he labels and dismisses, usually under the guise of maintaining his independence.

 

This is one of the classic conditions by which the road to hell is paved with bad intentions. The only way Will is going to realistically lose perspective on a relationship with somebody like Zach is if something his family does sets him off emotionally, and having lost his perspective on the relationship, he becomes open to manipulation in a way he would not normally. To put it another way, the only way that Will is not going to be able to handle somebody like Zach is if his family lets him know that they think he can’t handle somebody like Zach.

 

The really damaging potential is for the family to set Will off by telling him that he can’t handle something, driving him to a place where he can’t handle it, and then feeling vindicated when things blow up because Will could not handle them, as they initially thought. With no one in a position to see that everything which has transpired is the result of reaping the fruit of bitter seeds.

 

Well, that's my two cents worth of psychobabble for the week,

As Always, I hope this finds you and yours well,

Jason

Thanks for the great review, Jason! I can see the wisdom of what you've written, as the family could (and has) ended up creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Will is one of those guys who they should just leave alone. If he needs help, he'll ask for it. And he has.

I think that for the most part, JP understands that aspect of his temperament. He's pointed that out a few times to Stef and Brad, that Will would find their lack of confidence to be the most upsetting. And when he lost it (well, for him that's not really losing it) at the lunch in Malibu, his big complaint was that they seemed to think he was an idiot. That's probably about the worst thing you could say to him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/21/2013 11:00 PM, Carlos Hazday said:
Damn! Our little boy has grown up even more...... Will always had the looks and the brains but his temper and impulsiveness where his Achilles heel. The way you've presented him, in the post escape from New York time, shows someone even more self aware and working hard on his weak points. I can see the next chapter focusing on him and Wade. They actually seem very similar to me in personality. Guess I've always seen a lot of myself in Will.

Until you twist the plots on us again, love the fact that Will has been more of a top and hope that continues; love the fact that he knew the right things to say in order to stop John, JJ (still a disgusting bitchy asshole in my book) and to a degree Gathan (even if he ends up being right about Zach it seems he has given up on him already and that is a no no); love that JP seems ready to be a bit more active in family affairs instead of doing it all behind the scenes (his leadership is definitely needed at times) and love that you softened Zach a bit and that it seems he got more from Will than just a good pounding.

They all have scars from New York, and Will's symptoms seem to be that he's aged even more. I can see where that would be a maturing process.

 

As for sex, Will is laying out a pretty big claim to being versatile. What he's learning is that you can enjoy sex in a lot of different ways.

 

Zach and Gathan have a lifetime history together, so it's hard to unravel from our perspective. We saw him being a real shit to Zach in Poor Man's Son, but we don't really know what their relationship was like growing up. Sibling relationships are usually more complicated than that.

 

It's funny that you mention that about JP, when I think below Jason was making just the opposite argument. His approach, which is to let things play out as much as they can, is probably the best for this crew. Think about it: if he was an imperious leader, he'd end up sparking a major rebellion.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/22/2013 01:17 AM, Kitt said:
I',m always conflicted about how much of what I have to say belongs here and how much in the forum discussions.

This much I KNOW belongs here - I enjoy your writing and look forward to every word. Thank you for another great chapter!

Love that Will is trying to look objectively at Zach and his apparent changes. He seems to have a pretty good handle on the fact that people CAN change but sometimes only appear to have done so.

I can understand why Will found it annoying that the entire family seems to be lining up against Zach, and treating Will like he is incapable of seeing the truth. Blind spots are odd things - what they seem to think are Will's may just turn out to be their own. We shall see where that one leads.

It's odd how Will can be so caring and insightful as to be taking such good care of Brad - something several family members seem to have noticed, yet they still think he is in need of being protected from Zach.

Just what is so bad about a teenage boy wanting his own wheels? Admittedly it has been a long time since I was that age, but i clearly remember everyone, guys and gals alike, begging, pleading, working and saving for cars of our own. Gathan had one at that age and used it to slight Zach when he left for college by leaving it to a better liked younger cousin if i recall. Gathan isn't the saint everyone currently seems to think right now. I can see there being a basis for Zach's belief that Gathan is going to be more than difficult about his trust.

And then there is the whole "I am not gay" angle. Some guys may understand their sexuality early on, others have to figure it out. I seem to remember a time when Gathan was saying about the same things while sleeping with Stef, playing around with Will and professing to love Kristin all at the same time. What is so different that he gets to condemn Zach for the same thoughts?

Ok - I have rambled on about things that probably should be in the forum long enough. Thank you for another wonderful chapter. I love when you set things in motion and leave us to speculate for a bit as you have done here! Well done sir!

First of all, guidelines on reviews vs. forums. When you post a review, its like you and I are having a conversation. Not that other people can't read them, and not that they can't post their own reviews addressing those issues, it's just not made for that format. It's really a two way, public conversation. Forum posts are those you want to involve other people in, posts where you want some discussion. They go both ways, but that's my general rule.

 

So..thanks for the review!

 

I think that they are sheltering Will because of his biological age, and because Brad is a die-hard control freak. And as much as the control thing is a mantra for Brad, so is the 'second chance' for Will. You'll see that theme in his personality throughout the story. He's basically a forgiving soul, unless you fuck him over too many times.

 

The issue with the car does seem idiotic, but they're not really worried about the car, they're worried about the control and the trouble he can get into with that kind of independence. It's probably a legitimate concerns. I mean, he could always ride with friends, but the ability to hop in a car and drive wherever is pretty liberating.

 

Gathan's watched his younger brother get involved with some pretty unpleasant people in Claremont, so his mode is to become all parental. It's not working real well. ;-) But I can see how being put in charge of those trusts would make him feel that way.

 

If you were to pin Gathan down about his sexuality, he'd tell you what he's always said: that body parts don't matter to him, it's about the person. So in his mind, he's being honest by saying he's flexible on gender, while Zach is trying to live a lie.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/22/2013 01:33 AM, Daddydavek said:
Great job. Zach has more than convinced Will to give him a chance and raised his concerns about Gathan. Gathan somewhat validated those concerns and the conversation alerted Brad, Steff and Grand.

The interlude with John at the start of the chapter was sweet and sad with the intrusive thoughts afterwards.

The replenishing of Brad 's studio was a very nice touch and that he immediately set a canvas and mixing paint was all the thanks Will could want.

Two thumbs up! :2thumbs:

Thanks big D for the review! Your first paragraph was spot on. Gathan is acting all parental, and authoritative about the trust and Zach, and that's exactly what Zach doesn't want to deal with.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/22/2013 03:05 AM, davewri said:
Starting to see something between Zach and Gathan

“He’ll start out by being really nice to you, then he’ll ask you for shit, and when you don’t give him what he wants, he’ll work you and work you until you do,” he said. I blinked at him, so amazed that he thought that would work with me.

.....

“Ha ha ha,” Gathan said sarcastically. “How’d you get around the fact that he grabs his ankles like a pro, and then claims he’s not gay?”

This story does have a smattering of incest and I think there's more to be known about these two.

Ah, this one's easy. Go back and read Poor Man's Son again (or at least parts of it) and you'll see that those two had a twisted relationship back then, even more twisted than it is now.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I love seeing Will shooting down the people on high horses. I normally like Gathan but on the topic of Zach he's way out of line. And Will made them all see that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The way the Chronicles of an Academic Predator is set up is narration from the characters in the story. We are not getting a third party, neutral narration, but from the eyes of one person. We see the world and events through their eyes and perspective. It is not reality we see, the way things actually are, but reality from the viewpoint. Sometimes, maybe often, the two realities meet and are aligned, but just as often, they are not. In the story, I think the younger the narrator, the further apart the two realities are. I remember being 15 and how I viewed my world, then I remember being 30 and how different my view was, how my experiences had shaped my perceptions. The same was true as I turned 45 and I'm smart enough to figure that at 60, 70 and 80, should I last so long, my views will change again and again; that is what experience does.

It doesn't mean every older person is wise or right, but it does mean they are worth listening to. I was like Will in that I blew off what my father thought about anything when I was 15, but by the time I'd graduated college, I could look back and see he'd been more right than he was wrong. In CAP the last three books (I think three), many people (the Will Lovers), think that Will at 13 and 14, has been as smart, or even smarter, than all the adults around him. That just isn't the real world. I like the Will character, but he does annoy the crap out of me and maybe because growing up where and how I did, I've known too many kids like him. They usually would up at USC, were drunk for four years, graduated, and got a job at daddy's (or granddaddy's) company as a VP. Will is not that different. I don't think he'll work for any of the family businesses when he graduates college, IF he graduates college. Will may figure he is smart enough already, and doesn't need to listen to professors who are just another adult, not as smart as he. Whatever happens, he will always be shielded by the vast wealth he has access to. He will never have to worry the way Jeff Grimes did growing up, or the wrestler kid at the Mission, or any of the boys at the Mission. Will can do nothing, just clip coupons, and live in his dream world, unaffected by reality.

You haven’t seen how he works,” Gathan said.

And Will throws out a smarmy comment, intended to make John feel badly. Here is Will's arrogance. He has known Zach a bit more than a year, but this is the first time he's spent any appreciable time with him, vs Gathan, who has known Zach intimately his whole life. Who, in reality, knows Zach better?

I think what they are trying to do is explain that they’ve had bad experiences with him in the past, and they don’t want you to get hurt,” Dad said nervously, knowing he was walking into an argument that he shouldn’t. But he was pretty wounded, so I let his comment slide. If he’d have said that to me a month ago, I’d have focused totally on him and just let him have it

What in the hell is wrong with what Brad said? In reality, he is right. The people, most of whom HAVE been hurt by Zach, ARE trying to prevent Will from being hurt.

You act like he cares about you, he doesn’t,” Gathan insisted. “He doesn’t have feelings for anyone but himself.” "So why should I step on them? Why should I try to kick him in the balls, just to hurt him? How is that the right thing to do?

In this exchange between Gathan and Will, Gathan reveals an essential truth about Zach, he doesn’t have feelings for anyone but himself. We will see that time and again in following stories. Volcano Will goes to his 'kick him in the balls' extreme. No one said, 'kick him in the balls', they said, 'don't trust him, he is not trustworthy'.

He didn’t have a car in Claremont, and he got in trouble there,” I said logically

That is newly minted 15 year old logic, not real logic. It is a logical fallacy. A does not follow B. No one knows how much more trouble Zach might have gotten into in Claremont IF he'd a car.

Regardless, he’s not in Claremont now, he’s back east,” I said. “Maybe since he’s not living at home, he needs a way to get around.” Did none of these brain trusts ever stop to think about that?"

Here is another arrogant, no one is as wise as me Will. MOST kids in high school do not have cars. In Will's unreal world of Harvard-Westlake, Malibu, Menlo School, et al, when a kid turns 16 they get a brand new BMW, Mercedes, 4 Runner or some such car. That is not true for most high school kids. In a semi affluent family, the oldest kid might get a family hand me down when they turn 16, if they are lucky.

Dad said, as if Wally and Clara Hayes were the brightest beacons on the planet. Like being Claremont’s best sanitation engineer made Wally an expert on teen psychology.

This is beyond arrogant Will, this is asshole Will, looking down his nose at Wally and Clara. He doesn't once stop and ponder what is that these two wonderful people did. He doesn't for an instant consider that they might know what is best for their kids. He doesn't consider for an instant what buying a car for Zach might do to the family dynamic. He doesn't consider for an instant that Wally and Clara, who have raised Zach, might know him better and know what is best for him. No, all that matters is I WILL have made a judgment and decision and all others must bow to it.

He has NO IDEA how smart Wally or Clara is. Either one of them could be as smart as JP, Brad, Robbie, or any of them, but Wally and Clara never had the opportunities or encouragement that John Paul, Brad, etc had. They never had the vast wealth to smooth over their lives. If Robbie hadn't left Claremont for Gunn, it is doubtful he would have wound up at Princeton. If Stef hadn't been Greg Anders partner, Robbie would never have joined the Anders Production Co. for it to become Anders-Hayes. This is the world of privilege. Privilege is not bad or wrong, but people who have privilege should at least be self-aware of it and empathetic for those who do not have it. Will gets it in bits and pieces, but at the statement above shows, it is not in the forefront of his mind. 

Where has Will obtained his expertise in teen psychology? Being a teen doesn't make you an expert on teens. Someone needs to set Will straight on this. This arrogant little prick doesn't think either Wally or Clara has anything to offer, any wisdom to impart to him because Wally is 'just a garbage man' and Clara is 'just a housewife'. Arrogant little cocksucker.

In the end, you’ll see I’m right about him,” Gathan said all self-righteously.

Okay, a bit of a spoiler....... stop reading if you don't want to know..... but GATHAN IS RIGHT, as we will come to see.

That isn't to say Will should write off Zach right now, but when Will touches the stove and it is hot and he burns himself he should go, 'wow, Gathan was right, you can burn yourself on a hot stove', instead of touching the hot stove time and again.

 

“You seem reluctant to explain your reasoning,” Grand said, letting Dad and Stef know that these flippant replies weren’t going to work.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..