Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 4,838 Words
  • 9,263 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

HMS Belvidera - 43. Chapter 43

August, 1796

 

Granger floated in the bath, the third one he’d taken since his arrival home yesterday. It was as if it were impossible for him to remove the salt from his body, no matter how much water he drank or soaked in. He’d been indulging himself completely by doing absolutely nothing but soaking and sleeping. A Royal Navy captain was always on call, and always had to be ready to rush up on deck at a moment’s notice. To lounge around knowing that he had no such obligations, to know that he could completely relax and be indolent, was the ultimate luxury. It was also boring.

It had only been a day, and he was already contemplating going back out to the ship, if for no other reason than to give himself something to do. He couldn’t really go out in polite society without paying his respects to the King, and that wasn’t possible until he presented the ruby. He couldn’t call on the Duke of Clarence or the Prince of Wales without calling on the King first, so that ruled out those two avenues of distraction. He could hardly ride out to Brentwood to see Caroline when he was awaiting instructions from the Admiralty. He could go visit his parents, but he really couldn’t do that until the evening. All he could do was lounge around in his gilded cage.

“Sir, pardon the interruption,” Cheevers said, pulling him from his disturbing musings. “Lord Frederick Cavendish is calling.” And with those simple words, all of Granger’s self-inflicted boredom vanished, and his mood transformed.

“Please show him back at once, Cheevers,” Granger said. Cheevers vanished and then reappeared a few minutes later with a slightly limping Cavendish walking behind. Granger’s face broke into an ecstatic grin to match Cavendish’s. “That will be all, Cheevers. Please see that I am not disturbed.”

“Yes, sir,” Cheevers said, as he backed out of the room and secured the doors behind him. Granger got out of the bath, exposing his naked form to Cavendish and provoking an obvious reaction in both of them.

“Join me?” Granger asked.

“With pleasure,” Cavendish replied. He methodically but hurriedly removed his uniform, then walked toward the pool, his fake leg thumping on the stone flooring. He looked down at it sadly. Granger walked over to him and saw Cavendish’s brows narrow, his non-verbal sign that he didn’t want any help. Granger had no intention of helping him. He was in a much more playful mood than that. He walked right up to Cavendish and pushed him in the pool, then jumped in after him.

“Bloody hell!” Cavendish exclaimed, surprised at his sudden immersion. But then Granger silenced any further talk by kissing him. And then the months of separation, the months of longing for each other, overrode anything else, as they wrapped themselves around each other. Granger felt Cavendish’s big cock pressing against his as they thrust against each other; fueling his lust until he gave in and carried Cavendish like a caveman over to the bathing tub, with its slick soap. Granger lowered Cavendish into the tub gently, removing his prosthetic as he did, and then lovingly got in with him, on top of him, lowering his ass down onto Cavendish’s throbbing dick. Granger worked him in, and even though it felt so natural and so right, Cavendish was a big boy, it required some extra work. Then he was in, then he was thrusting in and out of Granger, and it was wonderful. It was one of those long, meaningful fucks, a wild ride, where they’d get to within a hair of an orgasm and back off, then approach things from an entirely different angle. When he finally came, Granger actually felt himself lose consciousness, or at least it felt that way, as wave after wave of ecstasy flew over him while wave after wave of semen blasted out.

They wallowed there in the soapy tub, panting, and then laughing, so much had they enjoyed each other. Then Granger helped Cavendish back into the clear pool, and watched with disdain as the soapy water discolored it. “There was a time when I could walk about on my own,” Cavendish said glumly.

“I have never had better sex,” Granger said. “I have never felt so bound to someone.” He realized he was exaggerating, as he’d had those experiences with Travers, Caroline, and Calvert, but this was about Cavendish and making him feel better about himself. “This disability that you labor over is meaningless to me. Haven’t I shown you that?”

“But it’s not meaningless to me,” Cavendish said petulantly. He seemed to realize that, to understand that it was a no-win situation. “I’m sorry George. I am stoic and steady with everyone else, but when I’m around you, my guard goes down. I guess I let you see too much of me.”

“I don’t think that’s possible,” Granger said, leering at the young man and making him blush. “I am more than happy to be your confidant, it is an honor. I just want you to know what a truly special and gifted man you are.”

“Not as gifted as you. I don’t have a big ruby to give to the King,” he said, joking.

“A lot of good it does me,” Granger joked. “I have to give it away.”

“I think you will find that it does you a lot of good,” Cavendish said mysteriously. “Your entire escapade has made you even more famous. It reads like one of those novels middle class women are so fond of. First you saved the Duke of Cardona, and then you brought an entire city-state to its knees, absconding with a priceless gem to add to the crown jewels. That wasn’t enough though. You saved the Duke of Lerma, rescued a thousand Christian hostages from the Muslim devils, and still found time to traipse off to the Alhambra to receive the highest form of chivalry that can be conferred by Spain onto a non-catholic foreigner.” Cavendish eyed him with a combination of love and hero worship. “Yes, that happens all the time,” he said sarcastically.

“I guess it was worth it all just to be here with you,” Granger said romantically. He was horny again.

“Of course, I forgot to mention the news that will hit tomorrow or the next day, the news of how you managed to dish up a French frigate in 20 minutes without giving her a chance to fire a shot in return, then still extricated yourself from an enemy fleet of over 50 warships, including the largest ship in the world.”

“Yes, it is all in a day’s work,” Granger joked. He was uncomfortable when people emphasized his successes so directly. It made him seem guilty of the sin of pride, and boasting, and that seemed to be crass, and truly the ultimate in bad manners.

“I’m so proud of you,” Cavendish said. He moved closer to Granger, wrapping his body around his former captain, and that led to another amazing round of lovemaking.

“So what have you been doing?” Granger asked, after they’d stopped panting.

“I’ve been pushing papers about for Lord Spencer,” Cavendish growled.

“You got a promotion, lieutenant,” Granger teased.

“Yes, I did. And it gives me a reasonable amount of influence, at least for someone of my rank.”

“Your naval rank, perhaps, but not your social rank,” Granger observed.

“Perhaps,” Cavendish said, being cheeky. “Your old friend Mann is in hot water.”

“It was all but an act of cowardice, him cutting and running for home like that,” Granger said with contempt.

“Your feelings are readily echoed throughout the fleet. He is too influential to just go away forever, but for the time being he is neutered.”

“What of Arthur?” Granger asked. “He was a mess last time I was in town.”

Cavendish got nervous then. “He went up north to spend a month at home, then came back and had his head on straight.”

“Something is bothering you,” Granger said. “What is it?”

“Arthur has been very discreet about who he’s been seeing since he’s been back,” Cavendish offered cautiously.

“Who is he seeing?” Granger asked, full of curiosity.

“He’s been seeing a few people, two to be exact, and you know both of them.”

“Tell me!” Granger insisted, whining like a child.

“Me, and Sir Phillip Kerry,” Cavendish said. Granger fought the jealous demons that threatened to consume him, but he was unsuccessful. “I’m sorry; I know you are attached to Arthur. I did not mean to interfere in your relationship.”

Granger almost laughed. “You think I’m jealous of Arthur, and I’m mad at you?”

“I know you two are old friends,” Cavendish said. “I know you are deeply attached to him.”

“I’m very jealous, but not of him, of you. And I have absolutely no reason to be,” Granger said as he laughed.

“You’re jealous of me?”

“Freddie, you’re very important to me. I love you very much,” Granger said sincerely. “I have never been with someone who has so sparked a jealous reaction in me. I know how illogical that is, and I know it’s wrong, but it just happens.” He paused to wonder if his relationship with Cavendish was the reverse of his relationship with Travers, where he was more absorbed in Cavendish than Cavendish was in him. A look at Cavendish told him that wasn’t the case.

“I love you too, George. If it bothers you this much, I won’t fuck him anymore.”

“That’s completely unfair on my part, and quite frankly, as I think about it, it doesn’t bother me,” Granger said. “I just have such strong feelings for you, that they evoke a jealous response when I think of you with someone else.”

“It seems to me that my first captain told me that I could not be in a celibate relationship and be a sailor,” Cavendish teased.

“He was an idiot,” Granger joked back. “I love you, you love me, and when we are together, it is wonderful. That is enough.”

“Yes it is,” Cavendish said. “I know you have other men in your life, men that you love. That bothers me sometimes, but I try to understand.”

“There are two, but there are differences that make you more special,” Granger said. He suddenly realized he’d told Cavendish he loved him best, and while that made the young man happy, it made Granger wonder if that was true. He imagined the three of them, Cavendish, Calvert, and Travers, all lined up, and he was forced to pick one, just one, to be with forever. He knew in his heart that Travers would lose that contest, just as he knew he could never hurt him like that. It was so easy to pick Freddie, with him right here, but Granger remembered Calvert and their connection, and he wondered what he’d do if he had to make that choice.

“They are going to send you orders detailing how you must present the ruby, and it will probably be done day after tomorrow, if only because they know they can’t keep you cooped up and out of the social glare for long,” Cavendish teased Granger and mercifully changed the subject.

“I was practically mobbed at the Admiralty,” Granger groused.

“Fame has its detractions,” Cavendish quipped. Then they made love yet again, their young bodies responding to their emotions, until they were sated. They got out of the bath and dressed, and headed to the dining room for some food. Food was almost as high a priority as sex. They’d just finished a monstrously huge meal, and were relaxing in the parlor, when the door burst open and Caroline breezed in.

She rushed over to George and gave him a big hug and a very passionate kiss. “It is so good to have you home. You must come meet your son.”

“It is good to be home,” Granger said lovingly.

Caroline seemed to just then notice that Cavendish was there. “Freddie! What a wonderful surprise!” She turned to George. “Did you know that his lordship calls on me at least weekly?” Granger giggled at her use of Freddie’s formal mode of address.

“That is because you are a charming and vivacious woman,” Cavendish said, as he bowed and kissed her hand. “And also, perhaps, because you have the political instincts of a bloodhound.”

“So you only come see me for pointers on whom to prostrate yourself before?” she asked, flirting.

“It is a wonderful added benefit,” Cavendish said. Seeing them interact so playfully made Granger even that much more annoyed that he was stuck here, out of the social limelight, but he hid it well. “I fear that time flies, and I must be going.”

“I hope you will try to find time to call on me again soon,” Granger said.

“It will be difficult to keep me away,” Cavendish said, with a grateful bow.

“That is as it should be,” Caroline said, as they escorted him out. When he was gone, she turned to Granger and launched herself into his arms. He picked her up and carried her upstairs to their room and made love to her, and it was good, almost as good as it had been with Cavendish, but not quite.

 



 

He’d spent the afternoon with his wife and children, and now he was in the carriage with Caroline, on his way to call on his parents. “I hope I pleased you with the names I chose for Alexander.”

Granger smiled at her. “I could not have chosen better myself.”

“I fear that calling on your parents or brother are the only options available at the moment,” Caroline said with her playful look. “Unless you would care to visit my parents.”

“I think I will find enough things to occupy my time without doing that,” Granger joked. He decided that it was inevitable that a man would have a general distaste for his father-in-law. “He is still mad at me for extracting Brentwood from his clutches.” That had been part of Caroline’s dowry.

“And now that he’s seen what we’ve done with it, he’s positively furious,” she joked. The carriage jolted to a halt as they arrived at Grosvenor Square. Granger helped his wife up the steps and through the doors that had opened as if by magic.

The butler, Franklin, was there to greet them. “It is good to see you home, sir,” he said. “Please follow me. Your parents are in the drawing room.”

Granger followed him into the familiar room and then forgot all about furnishings and servants as his parents came into view. “George! How wonderful to see you,” Lady Bridgemont said as she greeted her son affectionately, or at least as affectionately as someone of her class could be expected to exhibit. “And Caroline. How are the children?” They broke off and discussed his offspring; while Granger went on to greet his father.

“It is good to see you George. I am so proud of you. You bring honor to the family name,” Lord Bridgemont said.

Granger beamed at what was effusive praise from his father. “Thank you Father. I got a letter from Bertie, and he seems to be doing well.”

“He’s a scoundrel,” Bridgemont said, but with a smile.

“That he is,” Granger agreed with a smile of his own. “And how is Freddie?”

“You will see for yourself soon enough,” the old Earl growled. “That was quite a piece of work you pulled off.”

“I was lucky that the opportunities presented themselves when I was there to take advantage of them.” His father smiled at his modesty. “And how are you?”

“I am well enough,” he grumbled. “It seems that I spent a King’s ransom paying off Bertie’s gambling debts, and now I’m doing the same for my daughter-in-law.”

“They are that bad?” Granger asked, concerned.

“They are bad,” the Earl said sadly. “I fear that once Freddie inherits Bridgemont, there will be little left of it.”

“Surely there is some solution?” Granger was horrified that one woman would destroy what generations of his ancestors had built.

“We are trying something new. Whenever Davina loses a lot of money, we dispatch her to Bridgemont for a few months. It seems to have had some effect, so we will see.”

“Doesn’t Freddie do anything about it?” Granger couldn’t understand why this was his father’s problem. He couldn’t visualize bringing problems like this with Caroline and laying them at his father’s feet.

“He is cowed by his powerful father-in-law. I thought I was making him a fabulous marriage, but instead, I may have condemned him to a living hell.”

“At some point, he has to stand up and take charge of his own affairs,” Granger said. He seemed to understand that with that statement, he’d crossed a boundary, criticizing his older brother a bit too harshly. “I’m sure you’ll help him find a way out of his problem.”

“So you say,” the Earl said sourly.

The butler came in to announce that dinner was ready, which caused Granger’s mother much embarrassment since Freddie and his wife hadn’t arrived yet. In the end, she opted to go ahead without them. It seemed that Freddie, normally so steady and predictable, had become unreliable.

They’d just begun the second course when Freddie and Davina breezed into the room like a whirlwind. “I am so sorry we are late,” she said, apologizing to Lady Bridgemont. “George!” she exclaimed.

Granger had already risen when she’d entered the room, and as he extended his hand to take hers, she brushed it aside and gave him a hug, pressing her body against his suggestively. “It is good to see you again,” Granger said stiffly. He all but pushed her aside to greet his brother, and then they took their seats and resumed eating.

Caroline sat there looking stoic, but Granger could tell she was seething beneath that façade. He leaned over and whispered in her ear. “Do you really think you have anything to worry about with her?” That made Caroline giggle, and brought her out of her bad mood.

“How long will you be in town?” Davina asked him. She was seated across from him, so it was impossible to ignore her. He felt a foot, her foot, on his calf, running up to his groin, and carefully adjusted himself so he was out of her range. She gave him a pouting look.

“That is dependent on their lordships of the Admiralty,” Granger said. “I suspect it will not be for long, now that Spain has entered the war.”

“Has that been formally announced?” Freddie asked.

“No, but it is here nonetheless,” Granger explained. None of them had seen his report on the action with the Spanish fleet, so they drew it out of him. He studied their reactions. Caroline looked at him lovingly, and probably credited herself for making a good choice in husbands. Lord and Lady Bridgemont eyed their son with pride, both for his achievements and for their own achievements by bringing him into the world and raising him. Freddie viewed him with barely concealed jealousy, the jealousy of the older brother who doesn’t have the luxury of gallivanting around the globe looking for glory. His destiny was to inherit the earldom, and to probably become a politician or a statesman as a consequence. Granger didn’t really see him having much success in either role. Davina’s look was the most uncomfortable, because her eyes were filled with lust, an unconcealed desire to get her brother-in-law into her bed.

As the evening ended and they got into their carriage, Granger decided that he would rather have stayed at home and been bored than deal with his tiresome brother and sister-in-law.

“She just does that to antagonize me,” Caroline said as the carriage lurched over the pavement stones.

“You mean you do not think she finds me attractive?” Granger teased.

“Every woman finds you attractive. It is just as well that you are not here all the time, lest I would spend every minute fighting them off.”

“You would not have to. I have you, so they do not tempt me,” he said to her honestly and lovingly.

“I thought when I found out that you liked other men that I would never be able to stomach that, and that it would eat away at me like a cancer. In fact, it does not really bother me, especially since I know it makes it that much easier for you to resist other women.”

Granger took her hand and stroked it lovingly. “It was not easy to be that honest and open with you, but it has made us a stronger couple, and better partners.”

“It has,” she agreed.

“The way you handled that, the way you understood and supported me, was enough to earn my undying love and gratitude. Then again, you already had that,” he said with a smile.

“I definitely picked the best of the brothers.”

“I think Bertie is richer than me, or at least he will be,” Granger joked.

“Yes, but I’d either have to live in the jungle or live here and never see him. Come to think of it, with Bertie, the latter option would not have been so bad.”

Granger laughed at her joke. “That’s not true. Bertie is one of the most charming men.”

“True,” Caroline acknowledged. “The problem is that he tries to charm everyone.”

“An even bigger problem is that he usually succeeds.”

“You once asked me why I refused to marry Freddie. Now you know.”

“Because he lets his wife dominate him? I would have thought that would appeal to you.” They laughed together at his joke.

“I prefer a challenge,” she quipped.

“My father is worried she will squander all that we have built over the years,” Granger said.

“He is wise to worry. She may very well do that. She asked me for money and I sent her packing.”

“But she is family,” Granger noted. “We are supposed to be a team, to help each other.”

“Spare me that moralizing, George,” Caroline snapped. She realized that she’d been a little too abrupt and tried to smooth it over. “I would not object to helping a relative, but giving them money to lose at the tables is not helping a relative.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Granger agreed. They arrived at their home and headed upstairs, where they talked less and made love more.


 

“I must go out to the ship to ensure we are ready for tomorrow,” Granger said as he studied his orders. They’d just arrived from the Admiralty, and he was anxious to make sure that his crew was ready.

“Perhaps I can accompany you?” Caroline asked. She saw Granger’s expression change. “I am sorry to ask, I should wait for an invitation. Forgive me if that is not appropriate.”

Granger smiled. “I would love your company. I was only thinking that when they spot you in the boat, you are likely to cause poor Mr. Roberts to have a fit.”

Caroline laughed. “Is he not supposed to have the ship ready at all times? This will be a good test.”

“It will,” Granger agreed. They went upstairs to change clothes. Granger put on his second-best uniform, saving the best one for tomorrow.

“The tailor says that he’ll have your new uniform ready for tomorrow, sir,” Winkler said. “He’ll have the rest of your clothes finished shortly thereafter.”

One of the things Granger did when he was at home was to make sure that his uniforms were in order, and that meant getting new ones when needed. “Thank you Winkler. Let’s hope the fit is good enough for tomorrow, otherwise I’ll wear the old one.”

“Can’t have you looking tawdry in front of the King, sir,” Winkler said. He helped Granger with his clothes, and then Granger went downstairs to impatiently wait for his wife, who took an additional quarter hour to complete her toilette. He handed her into the carriage for the brief ride to the Admiralty steps.

People had seen his gig and a crowd had formed. Granger looked at the cheering throngs and almost felt nauseous, wondering how he would get through them with Caroline along as well. In the end, a squad of marines from the Admiralty saved the day and created a passageway for them. Granger looked sideways at Caroline, at how much she enjoyed the crowd. He knew it wasn’t vanity, he knew she was just happy to see other people appreciate her husband as much as she did. They got to the gig and found Clifton there, looking surprised and perplexed at finding the captain’s wife along as well.

“It is good to see you again, my lord,” Caroline said to him, slightly flirting.

Clifton pulled himself together quickly. “A pleasure, ma’am.” It was funny to see him look about, trying to figure out how to alert Roberts that Caroline was with them. In the end, there was nothing that he could do, so he preceded them into the boat and gave the order to shove off once they were aboard.

Granger watched his gig’s crew try not to stare at Caroline. “Your men are so nicely turned out,” she said to Granger, loudly enough for the men to hear. He almost chuckled when he saw a few of them blush at her comment.

As they rounded the bend and Belvidera came into view, Granger saw the ship break into what almost looked like panic. He smiled as he thought of Roberts, hurriedly trying to make sure everything was perfect for Caroline. It was a waste of worry, Granger knew, because Roberts would never let the ship go; he wouldn’t be remiss in his duties.

They welcomed Granger aboard in the time honored fashion, with sideboys and bosun’s whistles. “Welcome back, sir,” Roberts said.

“Thank you Mr. Roberts. I brought Mrs. Granger with me.” He looked up to see Caroline laughing as the bosun’s chair swung her over the ship and lowered her onto the deck.

“What a pleasure to see you again, Mr. Roberts,” Caroline said. He watched as she charmed each of his officers, wrapping them completely around her finger.

“Dear, I need to meet with Mr. Roberts and Captain Somers. Perhaps you would like to see the ship? Mr. Clifton can show you about.”

“Just the pleasure of Mr. Clifton’s company is inducement enough,” she said coquettishly, as Clifton led her off. Granger led Somers and Roberts below to his cabin.

“Our procession is to be tomorrow morning. We will start at 9am.”

“Yes, sir,” they said.

“Your marines will form the guard,” Granger told Somers with a smile.

“Begging your pardon, sir, but I thought the Life Guards were handling that,” Somers said, keeping the bitterness out of his voice.

“Lord Spencer agreed to my request that our marines do the honors. The Life Guards are there merely for crowd control.”

Somers and Roberts both grinned. “Thank you, sir,” Somers said.

“We’ll need a contingent of seamen, as many as you think are reliable,” Granger said. “We are in the Thames, so an anchor watch would be permissible for the morning.”

“You want all the men in the procession, sir?” Roberts asked, surprised.

“My orders give me leeway in that regard, and I think they deserve it. I will reward those who opt to stay behind so they don’t feel left out.”

“Aye aye sir,” Roberts said with a grin. “The men will be busy this afternoon, getting their clothes in order.”

“I would be happy to contribute to their efforts. You may access the slop chest at will, and tell the purser I will reimburse him. We need to show the world how handsome our tars are.”

With those details out of the way, Granger tracked Caroline down and treated her and his officers to a wonderful meal, courtesy of LeFavre. After that, he and Caroline went back to Portland Place, where Granger spent the rest of the evening making love, and worrying about the ceremony tomorrow.

Copyright © 2011 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 48
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Glad to see Freddie again! Poor guy. But getting a lot of action! LOL! And I like the way you give us a glimpse of everyday life for George ... social constraints really do contribute to boredom in one's life! Davina spells uber-trouble. I bet she's some distant relation of the Wilcoxes. LOL! I can't wait for the parade!!! Thanks, Mark! Another fine chapter! :-)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/20/2011 08:13 AM, Daddydavek said:
Smashing to have George back in the saddle after a dip in the pool!
George does love to ride. :-)
  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 02/20/2011 08:30 AM, Rosicky said:
Glad to see Freddie again! Poor guy. But getting a lot of action! LOL! And I like the way you give us a glimpse of everyday life for George ... social constraints really do contribute to boredom in one's life! Davina spells uber-trouble. I bet she's some distant relation of the Wilcoxes. LOL! I can't wait for the parade!!! Thanks, Mark! Another fine chapter! :-)
She's so much higher than the Wilcoxes on the social scale!
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Fabulous chapter... I see you are setting the ground work for future intrigue with the sisterinlaw and others. Can't wait to read more

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/20/2011 12:32 PM, phallus said:
Fabulous chapter... I see you are setting the ground work for future intrigue with the sisterinlaw and others. Can't wait to read more
I've learned to set the stage well in advance. :-)
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter. I thought it was really a great showcase of how they were SO proper that family could not talk freely about each other TOO each other. And too early to call on the PARENTS! My how times have changed. But it is a prime example of how detached parents were to their children and how some are yet today.

 

Just ship their little butts off to boarding school. :blink: But why then are we getting all these bills from a therapist?

 

Well Done Mark. I can't wait for the pomp and ceremony of delivering the ruby. I'll bet it is quite spectacular. was this an actual event from history? The ruby? Or a fabrication? I confess to not knowing history from the British perspective.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/20/2011 09:21 PM, ricky said:
Great chapter. I thought it was really a great showcase of how they were SO proper that family could not talk freely about each other TOO each other. And too early to call on the PARENTS! My how times have changed. But it is a prime example of how detached parents were to their children and how some are yet today.

 

Just ship their little butts off to boarding school. :blink: But why then are we getting all these bills from a therapist?

 

Well Done Mark. I can't wait for the pomp and ceremony of delivering the ruby. I'll bet it is quite spectacular. was this an actual event from history? The ruby? Or a fabrication? I confess to not knowing history from the British perspective.

All of the events surrounding Oran are fictional, including the ruby. I've actually erred in showing Granger spending time with his infant children. In those days, it would have been pretty rare.
  • Like 5
Link to comment

I miss Freddie, I think of all three of his Loves, I like him the best. Calvert was good too but I think Freddie is the best of the bunch. Nice to see George and Caroline are getting along so well. Let's hope that continues.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Glad to see that Cavendish has been able to make the most of this situation. With his position, that really should not have been to difficut. I am happy that he and Granger are still so connected. I do worry about him and Arthur though...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

George's return is interesting.  The children mentioned, but no introduction of the newest son.  Frederick's wife does not seem fit for this family.  She does not have the bearing of an aristocratic lady.  Surprising is the fact that her husband, Freddie, does not have the backbone to stand up to her and control her outlandish behaviour.  The gift to the King will be a very interesting meeting.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..