Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 4,973 Words
  • 8,447 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

HMS Valiant - 29. Chapter 29

December, 1799

Palermo, Sicily

 

Granger stood on his quarterdeck, observing the activity around Foudroyant as she evidently made ready to restock her stores. Hardy had returned to her, but Berry was still ashore. In the past, Granger would have selected Nelson as his first choice of admirals to serve under, but with this situation where Lady Hamilton had a seemingly complete hold over him, and where Berry had now returned as Nelson’s flag captain; for the first time, Granger was anxious to escape from Nelson’s command.

“They’re moving quickly, my lord,” Weston noted, as he came up and stood next to Granger.

“Lord Nelson is known for many things, but impatience is surely the characteristic he is most renowned for. The easiest way to vex him is to be dilatory,” Granger said good-naturedly.

“He is not the only one, my lord,” Weston said with a grin, and a certain amount of admiration. Granger’s modesty made that visage uncomfortable for him.

“We are to be receiving another midshipman,” Granger said, changing the topic. “Mr. Llewellyn has served with me before, and has requested a transfer.”

“As we only have one young gentleman, it will be good to have some extra help, my lord,” Weston said.

“Indeed, especially since we are not to get our Sicilian until we return here,” Granger said.

“I am not sure whether to feel fortunate or not on that account, my lord,” Weston said in his jocular way.

“Neither am I,” Granger agreed. Granger told Weston about the dinner they’d had in Elba, the one where Llewellyn had gotten into a fight with a midshipman from a different ship, and how Nelson had all but written the young Welshman off. Then he’d told Weston of Llewellyn’s bravery in trying to save a drowning shipmate, even as two Spanish battleships closed on them.

“He sounds a bit impetuous, but I suspect he will fit in here quite well, my lord,” Weston said.

“I suspect you are right,” Granger said, and then avoided thinking about the other part of Llewellyn, the part where he became sexually aroused when caned. They were distracted as a boat approached them, and it was hailed as was customary. Two passengers came aboard. The first was Captain Hardy, while the second one was one of the embassy footmen, carrying a note for Granger. Granger greeted both men politely, and then studied the message. “I am bidden to call on the admiral,” Granger stated.

“I have also been ordered to report ashore, my lord,” Hardy said.

“Then if you gentlemen will provide me with a few minutes to prepare for our departure, I will accompany you.” Granger spent a quarter of an hour with Winkler, sprucing up his appearance, and then he returned to the quarterdeck to find everyone standing almost where he had left them. He strode over to confer briefly with Weston.

“My lord, shall we have your gig sent after you, to bring you back?” Weston asked.

“I will signal for it when I need it,” Granger responded. There was no reason for his gig’s crew to sit at the dock all day. “In the meantime, I would like you to go over to Foudroyant and retrieve Mr. Llewellyn.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Weston said. Granger nodded to the two other men, and descended into the boat after them, as was naval custom.

“I hope you don’t mind me accompanying you, my lord,” Hardy said affably, as Granger sat on the thwart next to him.

“Not at all,” Granger said. “It will be good to have company on this brief journey.” The footman appropriately remained all but invisible.

“The Foudroyant’s first lieutenant, a Mr. Macclesfield, was reluctant to permit Mr. Llewellyn’s transfer without getting approval from Sir Edward,” Hardy said.

“Indeed?” Granger asked, surprised.

“Macclesfield is Berry’s man, and came out from England with him, my lord,” Hardy grumbled. “So we shall have to see.”

“I suspect things will turn out alright,” Granger said. They landed at the dock and that prompted Granger to broach a different topic. “Were you planning to transfer ashore?”

“I am not sure if I will find a welcome at the embassy,” he said.

“I think that you will, but if not, I would recommend that you take a room here in the interim. I can personally think of nothing more unpleasant than remaining aboard a ship once I had been relieved of commanding her,” Granger observed.

“That is good advice, my lord,” Hardy said. “I will make some inquiries.”

They arrived at the embassy and were led into the large drawing room. “Hardy, how good to see you!” Nelson said effusively.

“It is good to see you too, my lord,” Hardy said, perhaps a bit nervously.

“I am wondering if you would do me the honor of being my guest here while you wait for Princess Charlotte.” Nelson asked. “That will give us a chance to chat more later.”

“I would be most appreciative, and most obliged, my lord,” Hardy said.

“I am sorry to summon you from your sumptuous cabin, Granger,” Nelson teased, switching to pay attention to his other guest. “I thought you could join us for dinner.”

“I can think of nothing that would be more alluring, sir,” Granger said. “So alluring that I was willing to quit my posh cabin.”

Nelson laughed, and after he was done, Berry addressed Granger. “It is good to see you, my lord,” Berry said. “You do not appear to be worse for your experience aboard Leander.”

“Thank you, Sir Edward,” Granger replied. “I managed to survive the ordeal.”

“You look almost as splendid as you did when we were captured, my lord,” Berry said in his sarcastic tone. Granger had taken a few minutes, after the battle but before the French had arrived to take possession of Leander, to change his uniform. What Berry didn’t know is that the fresh coat he’d changed into had been lined with gold coins, but Granger wasn’t of a mood to enlighten him.

“I have learned over the years that it is important to cut the best appearance one can,” Granger said with an air of aloofness, coupled with his charming smile. It was a pose he had mastered bantering with the wits at Court, especially Beau Brummell, not to mention his months spent with Talleyrand.

“I was almost surprised you were released, my lord. So charming were you to our French hosts, I feared they would keep you,” Berry said.

Granger gave him a condescending look to hide his irritation. Granger had tried to work with the French to keep their men as safe as possible, while Berry and Thompson had done nothing but try to antagonize them. “As I explained to Lord Spencer, when one is captured, I feel it is one’s primary duty to look after the men under one’s care. That superseded my desire to be spiteful to Captain Lejoille.”

“Yet you made captivity appear quite pleasant, my lord,” Berry persisted. Granger stole a glance at Nelson, and noticed that he was both mildly amused and annoyed that Berry would be so obnoxious to Granger. It was quite possible for Granger to make this an affair of honor, and to decide that Berry was questioning his loyalty, but he opted not to.

“Sir Edward, I think you are unique amongst the men I have encountered,” Granger said airily. He paused, forcing Berry to question his statement.

“And how is that, my lord?”

“You are the only man who appears to think being petulant is a useful skill, and have, as a result, excelled in your adoption of that posture,” Granger said. Berry fumed, and Hardy hid his smile. While they were both trying to control their expressions, Granger focused on Nelson. “Sir, Captain Hardy brought one of my former midshipmen out with him on your flagship. I have requested that, rather than return to England with Captain Hardy, he be transferred to Valiant.”

“I would think, my lord, that personnel decisions involving my ship would be something you would address to me,” Berry said in his petulant way, which was hilarious after Granger’s prior statement.

“As this man was attached to Captain Hardy, I did not think you would voice an objection, Sir Edward, nor did I think it involved you,” Granger said smoothly. “If you require his services, we will attempt to make do with the single young gentleman we currently have aboard Valiant.”

“I was not objecting to his transfer, merely to protocol, my lord,” Berry all but snapped.

“Then as it is acceptable to all of you gentleman, this young man shall transfer to Valiant at once,” Nelson proclaimed. “And who is he?”

“Mr. Llewellyn, sir,” Granger said.

“He is much like an untamed colt,” Berry grumbled.

“Then he has not changed,” Nelson said with a smile. “I remember that brave young Welshman well. Fell into the Mediterranean trying to save a seaman.” Berry fumed at denigrating Llewellyn, only to find that Nelson was fond of him. It was taxing in the extreme for Granger to maintain his composure and not laugh outright.

“I am sure that knowing you remember that encounter will be rewarding beyond imagination when it is relayed to him, sir,” Granger said.

Dinner was rather tedious, and it reminded Granger of those unpleasant meals he’d taken aboard Leander with Thompson and Berry, who both went out of their way to make him feel uncomfortable. In this situation, Berry had a hard time hiding his general dislike of Granger, and his disdain for Hardy, while Granger reciprocated Berry’s dislike with disdain, and Hardy reciprocated Berry’s disdain with dislike. Nelson was the good host that he normally was, and regaled them with his ideas of the state of affairs in the Mediterranean. Granger was surprised that the Hamiltons had not joined them for dinner, and wondered if that was a sign of Lady Hamilton’s displeasure with Hardy.

They were distracted by muffled noises in the entry, which was soon explained by the arrival of Treadway and another marine officer, also a Major. “I am sorry to bother your dinner, my lords,” the other officer said to Nelson, then politely turned to Granger. “My lord, I am Major Dupre, commanding the marines aboard His Majesty’s ship Foudroyant.”

“It is a pleasure to meet you, Major,” Granger said, standing to make this pleasant officer’s acquaintance.

“I am certain the pleasure is mine, my lord,” he said, then turned back to Nelson. “There was an unpleasant incident aboard Foudroyant, my lord.”

“Then I would think you would be explaining that to me, Major,” Berry snapped.

“I will hear of this incident, Sir Edward,” Nelson said roughly, shutting Berry down.

“Mr. Weston arrived to arrange the transfer of Mr. Llewellyn to the Valiant, my lord,” Dupre began. “Mr. Macclesfield was unwilling to allow the transfer, despite Mr. Weston’s assurances that he had orders to that effect from both Lord Granger and Captain Hardy.”

“Did you so order Lieutenant Weston to retrieve Mr. Llewellyn?” Nelson asked Granger.

“I did, sir,” Granger said, but Nelson paused, clearly wanting more. “As we are to sail the day after tomorrow, there seemed no reason to delay his transfer. It gives him time to settle in, and to help with our final preparations for sea.”

“I see nothing so far that would cause this to be an incident, Major,” Nelson said.

“My lord, Mr. Macclesfield challenged Mr. Weston’s orders,” Dupre said. “Mr. Weston pledged his word that they were true, so that when Mr. Macclesfield did not accept his bonafides, Mr. Weston felt that his honor had been questioned.”

“I am sure Mr. Macclesfield meant no such thing, my lord,” Berry said, intervening to defend his lieutenant.

“Then this affair is easy to resolve, in that all Mr. Macclesfield must do is apologize for his words in front of the same men who were present when he uttered them,” Granger noted.

“I fail to see why he should apologize when he was merely following my orders,” Berry said.

“Did you give specific orders forbidding Mr. Llewellyn’s transfer to Valiant, Sir Edward?” Granger asked.

“I did not, but the transfer of my officers must be approved by me, my lord,” Berry said. Both his anger and Granger’s were rising, yet only Berry’s was noticeable.

“I will remind you gentlemen that I am conducting this interview,” Nelson said abruptly.

“I beg your pardon, sir,” Granger said, horrified at his own bad manners. Berry said nothing.

“So Mr. Weston demanded satisfaction from Mr. Macclesfield?” Nelson asked.

“Yes, my lord,” Dupre answered.

“And where are these officers?”

“Mr. Weston is aboard Valiant, Mr. Macclesfield is aboard Foudroyant, and Mr. Llewellyn is in Your Lordship’s drawing room, awaiting orders, my lord,” Dupre said.

“Bring him in,” Nelson ordered.

Granger watched, trying not to smile, as a terrified Llewellyn made his way into Nelson’s dining room. “My lord,” he said first to Nelson, and then smiled when he saw Granger. “It is a pleasure to see you again, my lord.” His Welsh brogue came through quite clearly, a sure indicator that the young man was very nervous.

“It is a pleasure to see you as well, Mr. Llewellyn,” Granger replied in a friendly way, to try and ease his tension. “It has been a long time since we have met. You have grown a bit.”

“Just a bit, my lord,” Llewellyn said shyly. He had been a gangling adolescent when Granger had first met him, and he had gained but a little height and breadth, so now he was merely a gangling young man. It made him seem even more like a restless colt than he had been before, a look accentuated, interestingly enough, by his milky white skin and dark hair. Perhaps his most unique feature was his eyebrows, which seemed to curve downward in a sinister way.

“Once again, you have turned a pleasant meal into a most unpleasant event,” Nelson snarled at Llewellyn. Granger was surprised the young man didn’t soil himself.

“I must beg your pardon, my lord,” Llewellyn said plaintively. “I did not mean to be the cause of any inconvenience.”

Nelson looked at him, and then grinned slightly, showing all of them that he was merely toying with Llewellyn. “It seems that the last time you vexed me, you followed that up with an act of incredible bravery. Let us hope the same thing happens this time.”

“I will do my best, my lord,” Llewellyn said, the relief obvious on his face.

“You will report on board Valiant at once,” Nelson ordered. “Major Dupre, when you return to Foudroyant, please have Mr. Llewellyn’s things sent over to him as soon as possible.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” they both said. Nelson stared at Llewellyn long enough to non-verbally explain to him that he had been ordered to leave, so without much ado, the relieved midshipman escaped from the room.

“As Mr. Macclesfield was merely following my orders, I see no reason for him to apologize, my lord,” Berry insisted to Nelson, returning to the original argument.

Nelson ignored him. “Major Dupre, you will return to your ship and tell Mr. Macclesfield to remain aboard pending my instructions.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Dupre said crisply, and then exited the room.

“Major Treadway, you will instruct Mr. Weston that he is to remain aboard Valiant. I will summon him if I need to speak to him,” Nelson ordered.

“Aye aye, my lord,” Treadway said, and left, just as Dupre had.

“Until I have resolved this matter, you will remain aboard your ships, as will your men, and your officers,” Nelson said to Granger. Granger was somewhat stunned by that. It was a bit like being sentenced to confinement in a prison, except the prison was his own ship. “Sir Edward, I have already extended an invitation for you to stay the night ashore, but I expect your men and officers to remain aboard Foudroyant.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Berry said automatically.

“Of course I will follow Your Lordship’s instructions, sir,” Granger said calmly. “I would like to request one exception to them, if I may.”

“Go on,” Nelson said, his tone telling Granger he was in no mood to be trifled with.

“As we are to depart on the morning tide, the day after tomorrow, I would ask that you allow Mr. Andrews, my purser, to continue to go ashore so he may complete our stores, sir,” Granger said.

“Mr. Andrews may go ashore,” Nelson allowed.

“Thank you, sir,” Granger said.

Nelson summoned a servant and dispatched Hardy off with him to his room here at the embassy, leaving Berry, Granger, and Nelson in the room. “Granger, remain for a few minutes,” Nelson said, clearly dismissing Berry.

“Will you be returning to Foudroyant soon, my lord?” Berry asked.

“Quite soon, Sir Edward,” Nelson said.

“Then I will see you later, my lord,” Berry said stiffly. He turned on his heel and all but stalked out of the room, and headed toward the stairs.

Nelson sighed, and then gestured for Granger to have a seat at the table while he poured them both a fresh glass of port. Normally a gesture like a sigh was a sign of weakness Granger could not countenance, but in this situation, it seemed permissible. “It seems that you came here to counsel me about failing to be politically astute, yet now I must point out that you are guilty of that vice.”

Granger smiled. “I fear you are correct, sir. I would submit that my enemies are more annoying than dangerous.”

Nelson chuckled. “This much is certain.” He took a drink of his port, and then continued. “You should have followed protocol, and you should have worked with Berry on this transfer, knowing how sensitive and, as you noted, how petulant he can be.”

“I can see that now, sir,” Granger agreed, so incredibly annoyed at being in the wrong in this situation. But Nelson’s words had galvanized him, making him realize how badly he’d erred, and how it was incumbent on him to solve this problem. Weston was merely following his orders and Macclesfield was following Berry’s. The fault was his own.

“I will interview both of these lieutenants and explain, with your permission, that you have apologized for your breach of the chain of command in this situation, and as that was the cause of their disagreement, the matter can be put to rest,” Nelson said.

“Sir, I’m wondering if you would permit me to handle this matter?” Granger asked.

“And how would you do that?”

“Since my inattention to processes has caused his problem, I must apologize to both of these gentlemen, sir,” Granger said.

Nelson studied him carefully. “Very well. I will leave it to you to effect a solution to this matter. You may report back to me after you are done.”

“Aye aye, sir,” Granger said.

“Good luck, Granger.”

“Thank you, sir,” Granger said. He stood, bowed in a courtly way to Nelson, and then exited the embassy, pausing to ask the footmen to signal for his gig. He enjoyed the quiet walk to the pier, and after ordering Jacobs to take him to Foudroyant, he was silent on the ride there as well, even as the men studied him carefully. Of course news of this duel would have spread through the ship like a raging fire, and they were clearly wondering what he was planning to do. That only served to make Granger’s mood fouler.

“Boat ahoy!” came the hail from Foudroyant.

Valiant!” Jacobs called back. He maneuvered the gig deftly up to Foudroyant’s chains and hooked on. Granger climbed easily up Foudroyant’s tall sides, pausing to note how solid she looked. He pulled himself through the entry port to find a lieutenant he didn’t know waiting to greet him.

“Welcome aboard, my lord,” the man said a bit nervously. “I’m Lieutenant Macclesfield.”

“A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Macclesfield,” Granger said affably, even though it was difficult to feel that way. He was a mousy man, with narrow features, and probably in his early thirties. He looked to be as petulant as Berry was. “Perhaps you can show me to the quarterdeck?”

“Of course, my lord,” Macclesfield said, and led Granger up the stairs to the spacious quarterdeck. This ship had proportions that were almost as big as a three-decker.

“I have come to discuss the recent issue aboard this ship,” Granger said loudly enough so the others could hear.

“My lord, I was merely doing my duty and following my orders…” Macclesfield began. He was almost whining, something that severely annoyed Granger, not that anyone would notice. He held up his hand to stall Macclesfield.

“I have come to apologize for this whole affair,” Granger said. Everyone had been paying attention to this conversation, but that had really made them focus. That was as it should be, because an apology like this must be public, and Granger was determined to do it right. “I did not follow the proper protocol by arranging Mr. Llewellyn’s transfer with Captain Berry. As a result, two excellent officers, you and Mr. Weston, had a conflict that degenerated into an affair of honor. In this situation that reflects positively on both of you since it shows the lengths you were both willing to go to obey your orders.”

“Thank you, my lord,” Macclesfield said, clearly stunned that Granger would come and apologize. Post-captains didn’t usually acknowledge any errors, and neither did peers.

“So I am hoping that you will accept my apology, made in front of all of these men, and that we can put the matter to rest,” Granger said.

“My issues weren’t with you, my lord,” Macclesfield said. It took all of Granger’s reserves to force his eyebrows not to narrow in annoyance.

“Mr. Macclesfield, since I am the one who erred in this situation, your issues are, in fact, with me,” Granger said. “As honor dictates, I have offered you a formal apology for my mistake. It is certainly within your rights to refuse to accept it, but then I fear the duel would have to be fought between the two of us.” Granger paused and lightened his tone. “If that is something you feel we must do, I will accommodate you, but I would prefer not to.”

“Of course not, my lord,” Macclesfield said, clearly flummoxed by this whole conversation. Granger stared at him, waiting for him to utter the words he needed to say to end this controversy. “I accept your apology, my lord, and thank you for the way in which you have resolved this matter.”

“We are gentlemen, and that is how matters should be resolved,” Granger said dismissively. “I will inform Mr. Weston that this affair is now at an end, and that all parties should behave as if it never happened.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Macclesfield said.

“And now, since I have the lucky opportunity to be on board your splendid vessel, perhaps you can introduce me to the other officers and show me the ship?” Granger said.

“Of course, my lord,” Macclesfield said. He introduced Granger to the officers, who seemed to be a good enough lot, and then took him on a tour of the ship. Granger was impressed with Foudroyant, and with how well put together she appeared to be.

“I think she is bigger than the Tonnant,” Granger said, referring to a French 80-gun ship he had surveyed after the Nile.

“You were aboard her, my lord?” the sailing master, a grizzled old sailor named Grimsby, asked.

“I was. I surveyed all the captured ships after the battle. The French knees are much different,” Granger explained. He ended up spending an hour with the Foudroyant’s officers, comparing and contrasting her features to their French rivals. It was an enjoyable conversation, but Granger was relieved to be able to take his leave and return to Valiant.

He hauled himself aboard Valiant to the normal honors, and found Weston there to greet him, looking nervous and guilty. “Welcome back, my lord.”

“Thank you, Mr. Weston,” Granger said formally. Normally he would have discussed this matter in private, but in this case, it was important that he took responsibility for it publicly. “I understand that there were some problems with Mr. Llewellyn’s transfer.”

“Aye, my lord,” Weston said. “Mr. Macclesfield all but called me a liar. I couldn’t let an insult like that stand.”

“I understand,” Granger said soothingly. “The fault in this matter lies with me, for not arranging the transfer directly with Captain Berry.”

“My lord?” Weston asked, surprised.

“I have just come from Foudroyant, where I begged Mr. Macclesfield’s pardon for putting him in such an unpleasant situation, and I will now do the same thing to you. You were following orders, and were willing to fight a duel to see that they were executed correctly.”

“Thank you, my lord,” Weston said. He made to continue, to explain what was undoubtedly a very unpleasant exchange with Macclesfield, but a stern look from Granger stopped that.

“As Mr. Macclesfield has accepted my apology, and presumably you have too,” Granger said, and then paused, waiting for Weston to answer.

“Of course, my lord,” Weston said.

“Then as all parties have been satisfied, there is no longer an affair of honor, and everyone should act as if this matter never happened,” Granger pronounced.

“Aye aye, my lord,” Weston said.

“I will go ashore and report to the admiral, and hopefully he will permit shore leave to resume,” Granger said.

“Hopefully, my lord,” Weston said with a smile.

A very fatigued Granger lowered himself back into his gig. He wasn’t physically tired; he was emotionally drained, as often happened when he was forced to deal with pettiness. He gauged the mood of his gig’s crew, and it seemed to be complacent, so it did not appear that he had damaged his own reputation or lessened his own authority by prostrating himself to Macclesfield and Weston.

Nelson received him in the drawing room that was becoming much too familiar, and accepted Granger’s report with a slight grin. He lifted the ban on shore leave, and with that accomplished, Granger returned to Valiant, more anxious than ever to escape from this place.

“We may resume shore leave,” Granger said to Weston somewhat abruptly. “We leave the day after tomorrow.”

“Aye aye, my lord,” Weston said. Granger turned and went into his cabin, tossing off his coat as soon as he got beyond the prying eyes of his officers and the marine guarding his door.

“An unfortunate affair, my lord,” Winkler said, taking Granger’s coat and brushing it off. It would be so easy to work out his anger on Winkler, and in fact, it seemed that Winkler was setting himself up to be just such a target. That took any potential pleasure out of it. “Will you need anything, my lord?” Winkler asked.

“Pass the word for Mr. Llewellyn, then see that we are not disturbed,” Granger ordered. Winkler scurried out of his cabin to do his bidding.

Llewellyn arrived, looking both nervous and excited. “You sent for me, my lord?”

“I did,” Granger growled. Llewellyn’s pants tented out in response. “You have caused me a considerable amount of inconvenience.”

“I am sorry, my lord,” Llewellyn said.

“You must pay for that, Mr. Llewellyn,” Granger said. He got up and led Llewellyn into his sleeping cabin, pausing to lower his breeches as he did. Llewellyn did the same thing, and without instructions, he lay across Granger’s lap, his hard cock rubbing against Granger’s.

Granger slapped Llewellyn’s ass strongly, then ran his fingers up Llewellyn’s crack. Over and over he did that, probably at least fifteen times, while Llewellyn gyrated his hips, rubbing his hard cock against Granger’s. Finally, he tensed up, and then he came. Granger felt Llewellyn’s seed moistening his own groin, even as the young Welshman ground against him until he was totally spent.

He got up, and Granger had expected to just finish himself off, using Llewellyn’s semen as lube, but Llewellyn stopped him. He rubbed his cum all over Granger’s cock, then knelt over Granger’s lap, and slowly lowered himself down onto Granger. Granger felt the head of his dick slowly penetrating Llewellyn’s tight hole, even as the young man gasped in both pain and pleasure at Granger’s large intruder. Granger let him adapt to his presence, then he began to fuck the young man. He didn’t last very long, but even though the encounter was short, it was incredibly satisfying.

“I see you learned some new tricks since we last spent time together,” Granger said when they were done.

“I have, my lord,” Llewellyn said, with a shy smile.

“I’m glad you’re back.”

“As am I,” Llewellyn said, with his sexy Welsh brogue.

Copyright © 2017 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 74
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

After all the drama and intrigue it was good to see everything was put into its proper place.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

So glad to see Granger, even if he was forced to apologize for something that I am not sure he was really in the wrong about; but he needs to get back on his trip and could not have done so without making that concession.

 

Nelson never really recovered from his actions during this time. Although he went on to other triumphs and even a bump in position, those that mattered never fully trusted him ever again. It is amazing what one will give up for the feeling of love.

 

Can't wait to get back to see and maybe some more action, thanks Mark for getting a chapter of this story out to us...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

At last ch29. I was wondering when I would get my next Granger fix. Hopefully ch30 will appear soon with a bit more action - that is, combat.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm trying to guess what you're setting up here. Perhaps why Granger might have to distance himself from Nelson. The man is wallowing in bad advice and power-gone-to-head syndrome.

Anyway, I look forward to the next, perilous leg of the journey. Pirates and secrets and foreign ports, oh my.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

banter, drama, intrigue, funished off with sex. I so love grainger, may he come more often, in every sense.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 10:11 AM, Daddydavek said:
All's well that ends well and that was a most satisfactory ending to the chapter.

:2thumbs: More please!

Thanks. The story has been a bit slow, but it's necessary, IMHO.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 12:02 PM, davewri said:
After all the drama and intrigue it was good to see everything was put into its proper place.
LOL. I'm thinking of the last scene.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 04:23 PM, centexhairysub said:
So glad to see Granger, even if he was forced to apologize for something that I am not sure he was really in the wrong about; but he needs to get back on his trip and could not have done so without making that concession.

 

Nelson never really recovered from his actions during this time. Although he went on to other triumphs and even a bump in position, those that mattered never fully trusted him ever again. It is amazing what one will give up for the feeling of love.

 

Can't wait to get back to see and maybe some more action, thanks Mark for getting a chapter of this story out to us...

I think Granger feels the same way that you do. He finally sails in Chapter 30.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 04:40 PM, philliph said:
At last ch29. I was wondering when I would get my next Granger fix. Hopefully ch30 will appear soon with a bit more action - that is, combat.
Chapter 30 is in editing, so it should take a week or so to get that one posted. No battles, but we do move ahead.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 05/29/2015 05:40 AM, AlexLucid said:
I'm trying to guess what you're setting up here. Perhaps why Granger might have to distance himself from Nelson. The man is wallowing in bad advice and power-gone-to-head syndrome.

Anyway, I look forward to the next, perilous leg of the journey. Pirates and secrets and foreign ports, oh my.

I think that, at least right now, Granger is powerful enough to be able to stick by Nelson, but Nelson isn't making it easy.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 05/29/2015 07:49 AM, Canuk said:
banter, drama, intrigue, funished off with sex. I so love grainger, may he come more often, in every sense.
Too funny. He usually doesn't get left too high and dry.
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Ahh Granger always the bigger man, that's what so awesome about him, that and his libido is pretty fun :P. Thank you for the update.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Thanks for another awesome, tension filled, and enjoyable chapter. Granger continues to be a master at dispelling tenuous and unusual circumstances. Of course, now he will be "rewarded" for his tenacity with an encounter with Lewellyn.
The sailing of the HMS valiant will be welcome to Granger, althought the nasty bitch will be aboard. Maybe Granger can find someone to create more grief for her.
Thanks for writing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm once again impressed with Granger's ability to be both honorable and diplomatic, even in the face of petty whining and boorish behavior. Good thing he had someone to vent his annoyance on, lol. :P

  • Like 4
Link to comment

With whom Mr. Llewellyn learned new things? Captain Hardy? :gikkle:

Edited by Sweetlion
  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
On 5/28/2015 at 5:05 PM, Mark Arbour said:
On 5/27/2015 at 9:02 PM, davewri said:
After all the drama and intrigue it was good to see everything was put into its proper place.

LOL. I'm thinking of the last scene.

Indeed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..