Jump to content
    Mark92
  • Author
  • 3,922 Words
  • 4,493 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Legacy - 1. Chapter 1: The New Arrival

~MltlM~

(James)

‘I was the first James Thomas. I was different too, oh, I went through the motions of my role with little liking for it. Taking a woman, for breeding purposes made me wretch afterwards and did little to satisfy the hunger I had. The hunger I was hiding to have the same dominance over another man as I had over these women. For how long could I keep that secret from my ailing father back at the house, or the workers and old family friends that would occasionally visit?’

Walking back to the plantation house into the empty hall, I looked at myself in the tall mirror, standing 6’5, and big boned, the white billowing sleeves of my shirt in contrast to the part stretched over my chest tightly, tucked into tight fitting trousers that came just below the knee. My hair black and pinned back in a long pony tail fashionable of the era, was I handsome and dashing like they all said I was? I smirked as my eyes rested on my groin and the large bulge even when I was soft. Yes, I was well known in that regard.

I headed upstairs and sighed as I heard the familiar sound of my father’s rasping cough coming from the other side of his bedroom door. I knew my father wouldn’t last much longer, the blood he spit into his handkerchief was proof of that, and my father tried to hide it but never quite succeeded. I Smiled at Beth as she called up the stairs that dinner would soon be served as I gripped the handle and walked into my father’s room cheerily, always trying to seem happy.

“How well you look father, it’s almost time for dinner and you know you need to eat,” Sir Charles Thomas looked up from the pillows stacked up behind him and growled.

“Don’t mother me James, its bad enough blasted Beth does, but at least she’s a woman so it’s to be expected... damn this consumption,” coughing again over to one side of the bed away from my gaze and then sipped some water to recover himself before continuing. “I wish you’d show some Thomas’s grit and find yourself a wife, boy. You’re handsome enough, rich, and one day this rubber plantation will be yours, as well as all the rest I’ve built up over the years for you. Oh... here, this was in the post Beth brought me this morning. It’s your department now son, an order. Don’t forget to get it out quick to him he’s one of our best customers.”

He handed the opened letter to me as he spoke, sounding almost fatherly, I nod silently for a second looking down at the now frail and wrinkled looking man that’s now a mere shell of his former large and powerfully built self, laid waste by this awful disease. I hoped I would not share this horrible fate, as I glanced over my own muscular and well honed body in the mirror of my father’s wardrobe door affording myself a furtive wry grin, admiring my ponytail knowing my father did not approve of it; constantly remarking it makes me look like some sort of dandy or highwayman.

Both of us shared, or at least did; a strong build which somehow Charles managed to keep up until, at least the past six months of his illness. But one of our most remarkable traits even beyond our build that everyone noticed, first; was our unique eyes of dark brown. Some call them mahogany, while others would swear they were in fact black.

“When you’ve finished preening at yourself in my mirror like a peacock, boy, maybe we can talk about this letter I got as well this morning,” waving the letter in the air, breaking my brief daydream.

“Oh, I’m sorry father if it’s another order let me have it and I’ll take care of it, if it’s a complaint I’ll burn it,” making father laugh, then cough again for a few seconds.

“Very amusing James very amusing, no, it’s not a complaint or an order; it’s a letter from England. It seems one of my dear cousins has died and he left us a boy, entrusted to me till he comes of age. Damn nuisance I say... what are we going do with some milk sop boy out here? It was his father’s wish, so I suppose you can find him work somewhere round here, maybe make a man of him with any luck,” rolling my eyes as annoyed as my father at this unwelcome intrusion, but knew it was part of my duty to look after this young man.

“Yes father, don’t worry yourself I’ll make sure he’s put to work somehow, when is he due to arrive?” I sighed as Charles grumbled softly and fumbled with his horn-rimmed glasses to scan the letter again “Ahh the 16th so that’s?”

“What...” I replied “The day after tomorrow?”

“Why can’t they get the blasted post here faster, the steamers and clippers come out nearly empty you’d think they could toss a tiny letter on them so they arrive in good time,” Charles snipped “the boy’s name is Adam Warner, you’ll have to sort things out for him I’m afraid... and for god’s sake don’t let him find out about our other merchandise, that could cause no end of embarrassment and bother for us, not to mention make our buyers nervous,” nodding solemnly I agreed and resting a kindly hand on my father’s shoulder.

“Father please, try not to get so anxious you know it makes your coughing worse, now didn’t I manage to fool that man from the embassy when he came snooping round? He left here convinced it was a wild goose chase even though the girl he was trying to find had been brought here and we were in the process of making her ready for her new owner. So I think I can easily handle some naive boy from England,” I said smirking “do you feel up to coming down for dinner tonight... or would you prefer if Beth brought it up for you?”

Charles moved to get up slowly then groaned waving a disgusted hand as he grabbed his handkerchief again coughing into it.

“Sorry James, as much as I want to, I also don’t wish to put you off your dinner its best I stay here I think, but sneak up later with the brandy... there’s a good lad,” patting my arm lightly “I don’t give a jot what that doctor says I’m no fool, I know an odd brandy isn’t going to make a damn difference to me now and my days aren’t many.”

“Of course father and ill bring your favourite pipe as well,” I nodded solemnly fully aware my father was right. I folded the letter neatly and tucking it into my breeches pocket

“I’ll see you later on, I best let Beth know about dinner,” both of us nod. I then walk out of his room making my way downstairs knowing there’s nothing more to be said; as upstanding English gentlemen, it would be considered bad form to show too much emotion in front of each other. Beth the trusted housekeeper and lately a nurse glanced up as me as I descended the stairs.

“Ah Beth, father will be having dinner up in his room... I expect you already know as much as I do. Can you join me in the study for a minute?”

“Of course Master James,” Beth nodded simply following me in and closing the door after her; smiling as she stood virtually to attention with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. I never ceased to be amazed that no matter what the time of day, or what the weather was doing; she always appeared pristine in her black gown never so much as a single hair out of place. I leaned back against the large mahogany desk facing her, feeling very warm and sticky even though I was only wearing one of my preferred loose fitted shirts over my breeches and boots.

“Father received a letter this morning informing us that a young ward is on his way here. It seems a cousin has died and left his son in father’s, and ergo my charge. His name is Adam Warner, and he’s arriving here the day after tomorrow. Can you make sure a room is made up ready for him?” I asked and Beth nodded solemnly.

“Beth, we both know father doesn’t have much longer, his illness is weakening him daily and there’s nothing that can be done. I’m hoping you will remain on when he does finally pass away; I know he hired you to begin with and we both find you completely invaluable and irreplaceable,” I flashed my wry grin at her “also, you know all our family’s dark little secrets which you’ve kept faithfully for us over the years; something we are eternally grateful to you for.”

“You’re most kind Master James and of course I wish to remain in your service for as long as you wish to employ me,” Beth gave me a small smile. I wiped my sweating brow and looked up at the large slowly swinging sail type fan suspended from the ceiling over our heads; barely feeling any benefit from it against the oppressive humid temperature.

“I’ll give this lad a week, maybe a fortnight at the most Beth. If he’s too bothersome by then, I’ll arrange for him to be packed off somewhere else; maybe even to one of our friends in Hong Kong. We can explain to father that he missed the noise and bustle of the big city or something. At least he will still be close for duty; to be seen to be done by him,” I said.

“Yes Sir, as you say; I will of course confirm that detail with your father should it be necessary. If there is nothing else, may I be excused now to finish seeing to the dinner?” Nodding I moved away from the desk walking her out to the hallway.

“Thank you Beth, I’ll be in shortly,” I watched her glide effortlessly away to the kitchen. I headed outside to stand on the veranda and surveyed the grounds; I looked up into the late afternoon sky and breathed out slowly before tugging the front of my cotton shirt to fan some slightly cooler air over my glistening chest.

‘Lord this is truly a god forsaken country if it wasn’t for the rubber, and father demanding I remain to oversee it; I’d book myself a passage on the fastest ship back to England. In another couple of months we will have those damned monsoons on us again,’ I thought to myself.

I looked around as I heard the annoying sound of a mosquito on its own hunt for dinner; my keen eye spotted it and with the speed of a striking cobra, I deftly swatted it from the air with one hand before I turned and headed into the dining room for my own meal.

~MltlM~

(Adam)

I stood on the docks and watched my trunks being unloaded; running my hands nervously through my dark hair. I still felt uneasy having spent the last few weeks sailing from my homeland, to this far flung part of the empire. My sole companion on the voyage thus far had been my family’s trusty solicitor; a small balding rotund man in his late fifties, never without his bowler and matching umbrella.

“I say, go steady there... no... No, those trunks there, they are ours see!” Mr. Neville Templeton shouted at the dock workers; directing them in loud English even though most couldn’t understand a single word he said, “they go with us understand...? Now find three cases, three... yes that’s it, they all go onto that carriage over there.”

He poked the nearest worker with his umbrella’s tip, and then thumped the trunks he was trying to indicate; making the workers duck to avoid being clobbered by him. He flung his straight arm wildly, as he crossed towards a waiting open carriage; and sat across from where the luggage was being off loaded.

I smiled to myself and watched the scene, I was amazed how anything was accomplished with all this mayhem of shouting in that strange language; men running in different directions, horses neighing and chomping their bits, and cargo being hoisted and swung to and from the docked ships lining the quayside. Eventually, Mr Templeton seemed satisfied that our entire luggage had been accounted for and secured to the waiting carriage. He then came over to me.

“Everything’s ready now, we have a long drive ahead of us, or so I’ve been told; so we should make a start,” he said.

“Yes of course Mr Templeton, whatever you say Sir. It feels strange not to have the ground moving under our feet now doesn’t it,” I smiled patiently. The older man nodded and mopped his fevered brow yet again; letting me get into the carriage first. He joined me falling into his seat and reached out, and closed the carriage door with the handle of his umbrella. We settled back for the ride that would take us deep into the countryside of this tropical country. Mr Templeton pulled his bowler down over his eyes and leaned into the corner to sleep I smiled, watching him then looked out of the window to watch the passing scenery. Not really seeing it as I drifted back to my youth.

Ever since I could remember, I had been alone; for weeks on end with only Nanny Gwen. My parents were always off travelling around the globe; they were wealthy it was done. I was home tutored too so no real interaction with others my age, or adults, just me and Nanny Gwen. I never knew why that was.

I was a lonely child and still lonely now. I had done grieving over my parents; I had never really known them, so the loss was greatly lessened. Nanny Gwen had been fine for my early years subjects, but as I got older her knowledge became limited, private tutors were hired; older men who I couldn’t interact with on a personal level, shouting loudly at me when I got things wrong or didn’t understand. I wasn’t allowed to cry, I couldn’t show any emotion; so it just wasn’t done.

I had become a machine, ‘do this,’ ‘don’t do that,’ ‘do this test now and complete it.’ It had been during that time in frustration when I was alone again, that I would go to the stables and lock myself in. I’m not really sure how it started, perhaps it was from my lack of feeling, and perhaps it was from holding so much inside. But it was my shouting at myself for being so stupid, and lashing out thumping walls and doors; that gave me my only moments of release. I enjoyed these lapses of conformity and etiquette, feeling freedom; so I began to make time for them, looking forward to each one with a sense of excitement.

When I got older and my body started changing, I had no knowledge of what to do with my feelings and urges. My lapses into the stables manifested into my dreams, the pain I gave myself started giving me pleasure. I would snuggle up tightly in blankets feeling warm and safe hugging a pillow tightly gaining comfort from it. I remembered vividly the first time I wedged a pillow between my knees and curled up into the foetal position as the images began; getting harder and harder as it rubbed against me. I thrashed my arms against myself hard enough to hurt, and it was only then I climaxed wetting the pillowcase. I hid the evidence in the mountain of laundry the servants did. Always feeling a sense of deep shame afterwards, as it too became a regular thing a habit becoming an obsession as my needs grew.

I looked back at Mr. Templeton who was snoring contentedly; I blushed to myself as I pushed down my growing manhood. Forcing myself to choose another thought and wondering what my new life would be like. The thought excited me, but I only allowed that feeling to cross over me as I gripped the carriages side hard enough to make my hand ache.

~MltlM~

(James)

I busied myself at the plantation with the everyday running of things; on the estate down in the plantation office, I smiled to myself as I received a coded cable from one client expressing his gratitude and how impressed he is for the latest shipment. I leaned over the desk as I translated it and laughed darkly, setting down the cipher.

‘Well it’s always good to have happy customers, no matter what you’re supplying them with. She was a rather difficult order to find and fill, but at least you didn’t complain about the weighty price I asked for.’

I put the small paper into a special file and then locked it away carefully. I looked up and groaned when I saw the calendar with a red cross beside today’s date.

‘Damnation, that milk sop is arriving today; well so long as he survived the voyage from Southampton that is. If only it had been a daughter instead, I ‘d be looking at the chance of turning a massive profit... so long as she didn’t look like one of those bearded pigs that roam the jungle.’

I laughed to myself at the comparison, knowing they more closely resembled an elderly man with a large whiskery beard then any woman.

‘I suppose I better prepare myself for his arrival,’ I grumbled to myself as I set the foremen some tasks, before making my way back to the large rambling house dominating the entire plantation. I went into my room and quickly stripped away the damp shirt from my clammy taut frame, and dumped the water jug into the bowl on the stand to wash myself over; welcoming the brief relief the cool water brought me from the constant oppressive heat and humidity. I looked over to the bed and grinned ruefully.

‘Beth, once again you’re ahead of me... thank you,’ I saw she had laid out a clean shirt and a linen suit for me; all perfectly laundered and pressed. I sat down on the bed beside them and pulled my boots off and then the remainder of my clothing; flopping back naked on the bed groaning softly under the gentle breeze wafting in through the open widow.

‘Maybe later on I’ll be able to leave him with father, so I can sneak down to the village; where I might find some obliging native for some relief. It’s been some time since I enjoyed the pleasures this place has to offer,’ I glanced down as my sizable manhood as it stirred at the prospect of my idea.

‘yes perhaps if we are lucky, if not; well then I guess we may end up waking tomorrow, to find yet another young worker has ‘run off’ again,’ I chuckled giving myself a slow firm stroke for a few seconds.

‘Duty waits for no man James Thomas. Work before pleasure, one day you will understand and thank me for this you’ll see,” I muttered reaching for my clothes, quoting my father in a deep gruff voice; I remembered from my youth. I then dressed putting on the lightweight suit and then made the final adjustments so it felt as comfortable as possible. I redid the ponytail behind my head with a black ribbon, knowing there’s nothing I could do about the noticeable swelling in my groin just showing under the jacket.

‘At least it might give you a remembered thrill of things past Beth, I’m sure you must have had men.... well at least one... once in your life though, if you were with them anything like you are to the women I ship out; I do feel sorry for them,” I nodded to my reflection satisfied with my appearance.

I turned and walked out, making my way to see my father and dreading it as I do each time; partly because I am never sure if I will walk in and find my father alive or not. I reached the door and was about to knock, when I heard the sound of father’s coughing and spluttering again. I rapped respectfully and walked in knowing my father was not able to give permission to enter.

“Well father, your ward arrives today and as you can see, I’m ready to greet him,” I said holding my hands to my sides, while old Charles looked over coughing into his handkerchief. I poured a glass of water and held it for the old man to sip between coughs. He nodded thanking me silently.

“Yes, and I’m not so old or ill not to notice as well, that something’s caught your eye. I hope it isn’t one of the damn native servants; could it be too much to hope, that it was someone visiting our neighbours hmm?” he said, eyeing me carefully and seeming to brighten up slightly. I grinned and shook my head slowly.

“Sorry father, no it wasn’t one of the servants or someone looking for our neighbours. Just.....just a daydream as I was changing I’m afraid,” he nodded at me and then settled back into the pillows.

“Of course James, just for a second there, I did hold out some hope... still never mind, though I do wish you’d cut that infernal hair of yours; but I suppose it’s your choice,” he said waving a dismissive hand cutting off any argument from me before it could begin, “so my boy, if he didn’t fall overboard or die from seasickness, I trust you have some sort of work to set him to. How long are you going to give him before you give up and try passing him to some other unsuspecting soul?” I sat on the edge of the bed and faced my father.

“Well I think a fortnight is plenty of time for him to settle in, don’t you father?” I asked “and anyways, he’s under your guardianship so I can’t really send him anywhere unless you agree can I?”

“Yes that’s true, but he will also be under your guardianship too, just as this place is already; he has to be lad, I won’t be about to see him come of age and there’s no use in fooling ourselves otherwise is there?” he said with a smirk “now I’ve spoken with Beth and I know she will stay as long as you want her too, careful James, she may very well see you out as well you know. How she manages to wear that damn heavy dress in this heat as easily as if she’s England in the winter defies me. That woman must have ice water in her veins.”

“I’ve got to go meet him father, we will speak again soon,” I smiled giving his hand a squeeze. I left him and went downstairs and checked around the house, and then I heard the pounding of hooves, and the snorting of horses. I strode to the door and flung it wide open and stopped dead in the doorway as a young dark haired Adonis, stepped from the carriage onto my steps.

Copyright © 2012 Mark92; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well I see you've mastered the art of the cliff :P

 

I usually look at first chapters to see I want to keep reading. Are they sluggish, does the pacing seem off etc. This was quite good - You're characters - in just a few short scenes - have a life of their own. Dad is wilier then we suspected at first, James is a bit of a rake but also just a user and has his own dark side, Adam is a lonely boy with no clue about the real world being thrust off god knows where.

 

And now you have James who is going to be lusting after his ward - hmmm sounds almost Batman and Robin like :P

Link to comment
On 05/29/2011 02:40 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Well I see you've mastered the art of the cliff :P

 

I usually look at first chapters to see I want to keep reading. Are they sluggish, does the pacing seem off etc. This was quite good - You're characters - in just a few short scenes - have a life of their own. Dad is wilier then we suspected at first, James is a bit of a rake but also just a user and has his own dark side, Adam is a lonely boy with no clue about the real world being thrust off god knows where.

 

And now you have James who is going to be lusting after his ward - hmmm sounds almost Batman and Robin like :P

Hello again Quonus, The first James does return in later chapters as the story progresses through the years. Its going to be a long one.LOL You got everyone else spot on well done. :)Thanks for the comments all good :)Mark
Link to comment

Well Mark where to begin.

 

The slave trade continues. We know it is a booming business here. And James is doing a good job running it

 

Beth knows all, sees all, and helps with it all it appears. So she isn't going anywhere

 

Dad is something to behold. We know he won't last but he set this up and boy what a set up.

 

Adam,- young, sweet attractive, lonely and about to be someone's boy toy. We can see the writing on the wall.

 

Till next time and more details. Yes, I'm hooked.

Link to comment
On 05/29/2011 08:55 AM, comicfan said:
Well Mark where to begin.

 

The slave trade continues. We know it is a booming business here. And James is doing a good job running it

 

Beth knows all, sees all, and helps with it all it appears. So she isn't going anywhere

 

Dad is something to behold. We know he won't last but he set this up and boy what a set up.

 

Adam,- young, sweet attractive, lonely and about to be someone's boy toy. We can see the writing on the wall.

 

Till next time and more details. Yes, I'm hooked.

Hey Comic, This is only the beginning , so glad you liked it.We share something so I have to keep you impressed. Thank you for the review much appreciated. :) Mark
Link to comment

James is something, is he evil? And Adam given into his care? Nicely written chapter.

Link to comment
On 05/29/2011 11:48 PM, Foster said:
James is something, is he evil? And Adam given into his care? Nicely written chapter.
Hey Bugeye, Guess you'll just have to wait and see,am I teasing?LOL thank you for reading and leaving a review :) Mark
Link to comment

well mark i love your writing :) I find something deliciously dark with this one. I worry about poor naive Adam. A few editing errors here and there but other wise great :) I will try to come back to it :)

Link to comment
On 10/07/2011 07:23 AM, Johnathan Colourfield said:
well mark i love your writing :) I find something deliciously dark with this one. I worry about poor naive Adam. A few editing errors here and there but other wise great :) I will try to come back to it :)
Thanks John I really like James and its up and down but about to get worse. Thanks again :)
Link to comment

I have to admit that I don't like historical novels and the only reason I am reading it is because you wrote it. I am enjoying the fluency of the writing very much and the little touches that make it so rich. It's going to take a lot to warm me to the story though... and that's me and not you

Link to comment

Mark, you've got me hooked. It is a great story, and well written. I did not expect any less but still,I am very impressed.

I don't know if young Adam is as innocent as he appears? HMM.

Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 03:40 AM, Nephylim said:
I have to admit that I don't like historical novels and the only reason I am reading it is because you wrote it. I am enjoying the fluency of the writing very much and the little touches that make it so rich. It's going to take a lot to warm me to the story though... and that's me and not you
Thank you Nephy :hug: It took five years to write and research and its ongoing now in modern times. I am trying to condense it down a bit. I hope it works. Thanks again :hug:
Link to comment
On 01/23/2012 03:15 PM, JOeKEool said:
Mark, you've got me hooked. It is a great story, and well written. I did not expect any less but still,I am very impressed.

I don't know if young Adam is as innocent as he appears? HMM.

Thank You Joe, hope you stay interested. :):hug:
Link to comment

I like the structure of your work here, told in alternate chapters by both of the main protagonists. The words have an easy nature about them and a sense of the period is very evident.

Loving what I've read so far!

Link to comment
On 05/06/2012 11:56 PM, WriterWoody said:
I like the structure of your work here, told in alternate chapters by both of the main protagonists. The words have an easy nature about them and a sense of the period is very evident.

Loving what I've read so far!

Hey thank you :) Sorry this has taken so long to reply. Glad you like it thanks again :)
Link to comment

I loved reading this, glad I decided to give it a go now.

Something about Mr Templton really tickled me, and I got a jolly good giggle out of the humour surrounding the man. :) Thing is I think I knew a man that was similar to the portly Mr Templton once upon a time! :P

Haha, exciting, mysterious, delicate yet striking. Yeah I'm gunna enjoy this..........

:P

I'll keep you posted.

:hug:

Link to comment

Wow, I’ve just discovered you’re work Mark, and this is you’re first attempt... thats amazing. Can’t wait to read on, thanks for sharing you’re characters with us, John.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..