Jump to content
    Mark92
  • Author
  • 1,998 Words
  • 2,437 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Legacy - 6. The End of the Beginning

The End of the Beginning

Adam

I heard the front door slam, and then the crunch of gravel as James marched passed the dining room window, Jenny hot on his heels. I sighed and went to the library to do the tasks James had given me. It was a good twenty minutes later when I heard a scream. I paused a moment to try and work out where it had come from. It was the day room. Who could be in there?

I walked across the wide hall. The door handle was wrenched from my grip as the door was yanked open and Will appeared from inside the room, his hand firmly over Beth’s mouth.

“Back off lad,” he nodded, “you have no reason to fear me or my men, our argument is with James and this cruel hearted bitch, not you or the young girl.” He gave Beth a squeeze that made her struggle again.

I looked at Beth… and then at Will, and backed my way to the study to disappear inside. What would James do? I looked out of the window to see the servants being marched outside. They were frightened and confused. I quickly unlocked the gun cabinet and loaded a Henry rifle. It was single shot so I filled my pockets with extra bullets. A blood curdling scream stopped me in my tracks.

I raced to the window to see Beth in a heap, a trickle of blood on her temple; the servants screamed and huddled together.

“Damn it James, why choose today of all days?” I said aloud.

 

MltlM

James

We walked the horses over the boundary into the small village. I could feel the eyes on us as I took Jenny’s hand and kissed it lightly. Oh they would soon get the hint that I didn’t need their women, I had one of my own. We stopped by the water pump in the centre of the village; I had installed for them the ungrateful savages. I sneered as a young girl came over to Jenny.

“The lady doesn’t’t need your pitiful excuse for a posy, clear off!” I growled.

“James don’tbe a beast!” She replied, and stooped down to the young girl’s height, to take the offered flowers. “Thank you, they are very lovely,” she took a sniff and watched the young girl run back indoors.

“Damn weeds!” I snatched them from her, and ground them into the dirt. “Kindly remember you’re a lady, you don’t mix with their sort, and they don’t mix with you!” I pulled her to her feet.

“Unhand me James! You don’t own me; I have a mind of my own,” she stood up and smoothed down her skirts.

“Don’t you dare talk to me like that in front of these savages,” I gripped her elbow tightly, and glared into her face. “You’ll do what I damn well say or suffer the fate of the other white girls!” I let her go and handed her reins to her mount.

“Walk to the end of the street there you will finda general store of sorts; you need a gown that shows off more of that vile body of yours, “I sneered.

Jenny grabbed the reins from me and walked off in a huff. “You’re going the wrong way stupid girl, we’ve passed the damn store already,” I smirked, and then laughed loudly as she turned on her heel to march past me.

“You really are a beast of the worst kind James,” she glared at me as she passed, and I turned to follow her.

“I actually think that is the first real compliment you have given me dear Jenny, I am flattered; you still won’t get me to bed you though, no matter how much you want me too.” I grinned arrogantly.

“Bed me? Flattered? James neither applies to you. You… egotistical, arrogant, self-centered.... ooooh you make me so angry,” she glared.

As we reached the store I fastened up both horses on the rail just outside and helped Jenny down from her mount; and then walked her indoors, moving her forward each time she stopped to have a look round. And then I nodded to John Blake and his wife Mary, “The little lady needs a gown, to be wed in, the finest quality you can find with plenty of trimmings.” I gripped Jenny’s arm tighter as she gasped. “Could you please take her into the back and measure her up Mrs Blake? Much appreciated ma’am.” I smiled reluctantly.

“Just go with Mrs. Blake and no whining Jenny, just let her do her job; she will need a fine pretty corset too Mrs. Blake, make sure all your measurements are double checked,” I called after her, as they disappeared behind a curtain.

“Will there be anything else your lordship?” Mr. Blake smiled courteously.

“No, that will be all, thank you Mr. Blake; I assume I pay on completion?”

“That will do nicely your lordship, only the very best for you,” he nodded back.

I turned and walked round the store, while I waited. I knew they all disliked me, well apart from my money. They liked me for that, and I knew I would be grossly overcharged for the gown. But if it stopped them talking about me, it would be worth it. I didn’t’t need anyone to guess or know my secret.

It was a full thirty minutes before Jenny reappeared; she looked flushed as she came to my side. “Can we go quickly James? I have no need to be here one second longer thank you,” she whimpered.

“Go wait outside Jenny, I’ll be out in a moment,” I watched as she hurried away. Then looked at Mrs Blake, “Make the corset and gown one size smaller, there is no need for her to be comfortable,” I half smiled.

“Whatever is you wish, you’re lordship, it will be done exactly as you say.” She tried to curtsy and failed, and had to grab the counter.

“Thank you and good day Mr. and Mrs. Blake. Please have a boy bring it over when it’s finished, also give him the cost and he will return with the money, and even a bonus, if it’s done quickly enough.” I was not about to wait for a reply, as I marched from the store.

The ride home was pleasant enough, the afternoon had cooled somewhat. I looked at Jenny and smirked as she kept her eyes fixed firmly on the dirt track road.

“You’re not hiding anything you know? Do you think I haven’t noticed how your eyes watch my groin every once in a while? Does my manhood fascinate you that much?” I threw my head back and laughed as Jenny glared round at me, face flushed.

“How dare you even think such a thing? I have never once…” I cut off the end of the sentence with a loud laugh as her eyes automatically went to my rocking groin.

The sound of two gun shots popping in the distance made the horses jump; Jasper snorted and nodded his head. “What the hell was that? Jenny I have to go, don’t try and keep up.”

I jerked on Jaspers reins, then kicked my heels into his flanks and leaned forward as he charged. His hooves pounded into the dry earth as I covered the distance as quickly as I could. As I rode nearer to the house, I saw one of the barns ablaze; black smoke billowed through the open doors. Men and women ran off through rubber plants, some down the track. I jumped from Jaspers back and slapped him on the backside and then ran up to the back of the house. I saw more slaves trying to find cover… from what? I searched my surroundings; I looked for something, anything that would give me some sort of clue.

A young girl raced up to me and grabbed me round the leg, “Master… Master! They killed papa, they killed papa!”

I pushed her aside, “I have no idea who your papa is sprog! Get away from me.” I ran the rest of the way around the house, and stopped dead.

Will stood holding a gun, pointed towards the house. As I looked over to the house, Adam was stood there holding a rifle, his face deathly pale. I followed his eyes to the heap between the two of them and yelled! “NOOOOOO!” My father laid there, his hand clutched to his chest, a red stain spread across his long white nightshirt, his old elephant gun laid beside him.

I ran to him and knelt down, and then lifted his head gently, his eyes flickered open and he smiled weakly. “Is that you James? I can’t see you very well, it’s time to leave here son,” he croaked, “go back to England, and live at the estate, it’s your legacy, and you must continue the legacy.”

I stroked his face. I didn’t’t know what else to do. “I swear to you father I will,” I coughed as my voice cracked, “We will get you well again and you can come rule the roost, same as you always did… firm but fair, you remember father?”

His eyes flickered again and closed, his head and body went limp in my arms, and I threw my head back and roared, “FATHER!” Tears ran down my cheeks and dripped off my chin as I pulled him into me and stroked his face. “I will carry on the legacy father; I’ll make the grange estate the biggest and finest slave farm in the country.”

I gathered him up in my arms and stood to walk quietly up to the house, his body sagged over my arms and I looked at Adam, “Both of you in my study NOW!” He physically jumped from the anger I spit at him.

I walked upstairs and into my father’s room to lay him on his bed, and then I found a clean white sheet to lay over him. I leaned over and kissed his forehead before I covered his face, “Goodbye my dear father, now I am free to be the Master I truly am.”

Without another word I went to the bathroom to splash water over my face. I looked into the mirror as I dabbed my face dry and then smirked and sneered, “The bastard slaves won’t know what has hit them. I’ll show them what a true Master is like, I’ll show you father. I’ll show you what years of being held back has done to me.”

I threw down the towel and marched out of the room and downstairs. First I went to find Meg; a larger than life, native Malaysian woman. I sent her upstairs to lay out my father; and then I went to my study. I ignored both men as I walked to the drinks cabinet and poured a large whisky. I threw my head back to down it in one, and hissed loudly through clenched teeth as it burned my throat. I turned slowly and glared at both men before I threw the glass into the hearth, both men jumped as it smashed into tiny pieces.

“What the fuck happened here?” I looked between the two silent men. Will, still looked cocky and Adam was still white, his bottom lip quivered softly. I wanted to pull him into my arms, blame it all on Will and just take all of his sadness away. At that moment, I felt more emotion for Adam than I did about my father upstairs. My chest heaved as I gazed over him, so innocent, so beautiful. I shook my head as I felt myself begin to grow. Not now damn it! Not now.

I had to find out which one of them had shot my father? Which one of them pulled the trigger? Will was a crack shot, but then did Adam aim for Will and hit father?

Copyright © 2012 Mark92; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Okay, so I'm all caught up here. I started this yesterday. I was all over the place here... James is one of a kind, still trying to figure out what kind however... Not so sure if I like him or not, but I am intruged by him that's for damn sure...Now his father is dead and it's his turn to run things his way...I say folks better watch out....can't wait for the update to see what our boy has planned...

Link to comment
On 08/16/2011 08:06 AM, Naptowngirl said:
Okay, so I'm all caught up here. I started this yesterday. I was all over the place here... James is one of a kind, still trying to figure out what kind however... Not so sure if I like him or not, but I am intruged by him that's for damn sure...Now his father is dead and it's his turn to run things his way...I say folks better watch out....can't wait for the update to see what our boy has planned...
Hahahaaha glad you caught on to him he's a bugger alright and he is the baddy here but how much of a baddy you'll have to wait and see the next chappy should be up this week Thankyou for the kind words :hug:
Link to comment

So James is now freed from hiding his true self from the world. Wonder what new problems are about to happen. Who shot James' father? Well you do keep things moving.

Link to comment

I think Jenny is going to kick James' butt one day. Or hit him over the head with a shovel. :P

 

Maybe the elder Charles preferred to die this way. In a fight.

Link to comment

The King is dead. Long live the King!

 

Well, I had to say something. :lol:

 

I'm back. Nothing you can do about it either. :2hands: Somehow I managed to misplace this story. I do that a lot these days. :wacko:

 

I had a look at some of my earlier reviews. I must have been on drugs. Good drugs, but drugs nevertheless. :great:

 

So James is off to England. I shall follow. :D

Link to comment

I had a feeling the old man was going to die! :/ So James is free now to do as he pleases. Although I am at a loss as to why he has to return to England! :/

I guess I'll have to read on and hope to understand. :P

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..