Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Night's Delight - 4. Breaking Through To Berries

When I wake up, the only thing I feel is warmth. Not the kind of warmth that makes you mewl like a kitten and sigh in contentment. No, this kind of warmth is bulky, strong, and familiar...

I peel my eyes open and observe the colorful world around me in a happy blissfulness. I am lying on a sleeping mat, surrounded by miles of golden-lit forest. The sunshine streams through and hits me in the face, waking up my every sense until I tingle with the need to get up and move.

Then I feel breath on the nape of my neck and twist around to see Erebus watching me through cautious eyes. He lifts his long arm from around me to touch my face and I realize that I am snuggled up against his chest. Humiliated and comforted at the same time, I wiggle away and prop myself up so that I can face him more easily. His eyes never leave me as I do all of this. "Good morning," he says huskily while tracing my body with his eyes, and causing me to blush.

“I am glad that you are awake and well. The rest of the pack has left to give you some privacy and hunt so that we will be rejuvenated for the continuing journey.” Erebus stands up and stretches, causing me to get a full view of his naked body. I feel my throat moving as I gulp in air, but the sight of those muscles and that beautiful tool have got me frozen like a rabbit.

Then I look up and notice Erebus grinning at me while I gawk at his body like some women stares at an attractive male statue at a museum. I stand up also and work the kinks out of my body.

“So,” I huff in my embarrassment, “When will we be leaving to continue on?”
“As soon as you get your ass in that waterfall and wash the stink of you, and then we will eat. Let us worry about how we are going to reach your brother.”

I close my eyes hearing his reproachful tone, and watch as he picks up a bundle of clothes and hands it to me. “Put this on after you wash up.” He nods his head towards the woods, “I will be catching up with you after you are done.”

Erebus then transforms into one of the greatest creatures I have ever seen. It never ceases to amaze me when he glides from handsome human to a mythical, magnificent creature. The giant black wolf looks at me once, pinning me with his glinting, seafoam eyes and runs into the forest.

I take my time washing, letting the cold water chill my muscles and calm myself. I realize that my mind keeps drifting to Erebus and how he saved me when he could have escaped himself. As a dreamy smile transforms my face, a horrible realization crosses through my mind.

Laurence, the bastard, had been claiming that people would be looking for me, always hunting for me and my “powers,” the one’s which I do not have. Is that why Erebus took me away from that place?

I shake myself out of it and climb onto land, putting Erebus’s own clothes on my body, where they glide over my muscles, but hang on my figure. The smell of him wafts up and I pick up the edge of the shirt and inhale deeply before putting it on.

I hear a noise and look up, still clutching the shirt, and notice that the pack is coming back. I slip on the rest of the clothing and walk over to where I see Erebus and a large white wolf hauling fresh kill. The deer drags along the ground as the wolves viciously tug it to a place near the fire, and then the wolf pack transforms back into humans and starts to work on fixing and cooking the deer for a meal. I notice that sometimes one person will help the other in preparing the food, looking as if they don’t know how to prepare the venison.

“They usually eat the kill in wolf form, and so we have not cooked for ourselves or others in a long time.” I had not heard Erebus come up to me and I jump into the air. “Gods, you scared me!” Erebus just grins and waves his hand towards the people, or werewolves, surrounding us.

“You can talk to any of them, you know. I understand that you are scared of me, but we are really all very kind people.” Erebus looks at me sadly as he says this and I feel my heart snap in two. I reach out to take his hand and tell him that I care about him, but he is gone.

As I watch him walk towards some of his pack members and laugh at their poor attempts at making a feast, I feel as though I am watching my love walk away. Love? How can I even think that when I am running for my life away from a man who was evil and abusive, and with a man, however hunky he is, that I have only known for a very short time.

Just now a boy looks up, only around the age of eighteen, and bounds over to me. His golden hair hangs into his eyes and he whips it off impatiently, his light green eyes shaded with happiness. There was a spring in his step and he was obviously a very happy person, you could tell just from the sparkle in his eyes and the aura of golden energy surrounding him...

Wait, an aura of golden energy surrounds him? How am I actually seeing this? That vanishes from my mind when the boy approached me, though. “Hello!” He sticks out his hand and a pearly white grin is flashed in my direction. “My name is Tom and I was wondering if you wanted to help me collect some berries for the feast?” I was surprised that such a small person would be the first guy to come up to me. I looked intimidating to humans, but obviously not to werewolves.

“Of course, I would love to help.” I said this with, what was hopefully, a friendly smile.

The boy smiled back at me and once again made me feel as though I needed protective sunglasses from his disarming smile. “Follow me and make sure to watch your step”

As I walked behind the boy, I admired the forest and the beautiful, lushly green vegetation that encircled trees and covered the moist ground. The canopy of beautiful leaves waved in the wind as if saying hello. I smiled and let the sunlight sink into my bones and melt the worry away.

“Here we are!” We were standing in front of a cluster of bushes that carried red berries.
“There are Redford berries, sweet and tart at the same time and safe to eat!” Tom smiled at me again.

“Wow, you love to smile, don’t you,” I muttered under my breath, not bothered by it.
Tom just smirked and nodded, then went about in a scampering swiftness, collecting almost two pints of berries in the time that I had collected only a half pint.

“So, how do you know about berries?” I asked the question before thinking and wanted to smack myself! Dumbass! Of course, they live in the forest, why wouldn’t they know?

But Tom just smiled and kept on picking while talking. “I loved learning about plants, herbs, and berries when I was younger. My mother used to be a healer and taught me everything there was to know on being a doctor and plant species. It has come in use during fights with the pack and when times have been tough in finding food to feed all of us.”

He paused carefully. “What about you? May I ask what you did before now?”
I nodded slowly and replied, “Well, I worked for the army. Killing people didn’t really thrill me, but I wasn’t much into being smart when my father was killed. I just... wanted to help people, you know?”

Tom nodded sagely and was just about to speak when the sounds of howling and roars erupted into the beautiful evening. “What is going on?” My voice sounded low and nervous, giving away the fear that I was keeping on the inside. When Tom turned to me, he look angry and upset.

“Someone is attacking our camp.”

I am so sorry for the amount of time that has passed by from my posting each chapter. I promise that I will post a chapter every Wednesday from now on and post chapters in between too, for your hungry eyes! :hug:
And please don't forget to comment, my darling followers and other non-followers! Don't forget to follow, I accept critiquing, and don't forget to comment and like! ^_^
Have a terrific day and if you ever feel like talking to someone, then just message me! I love meeting new people :lol:
Copyright 2012 MuddyRiverGirl; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 09/27/2012 06:11 AM, ANORDOFHALL said:
OMG... I LOVE THIS STORY... PLEASE KEEP IT UP : )
Thank you so much for loving the story! I am glad that you like it :D

And I will keep it up, I will post a chapter every Wednesday at least, so I will be posting chapters in between that time! :)

Thank you so much, though :*

Link to comment
On 09/28/2012 02:11 AM, Chris Booyse said:
Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This is a brilliant story. Thank you for bringing it to us!

Hugs,

Chris

Awww, no thank YOU so much for reading it, loving it, and commenting on it!

And in such an awesomely positive way :D

Thank you for the compliments and support and the trio of dittos ;)

Hugs Back,

MRG

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..