Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 5,847 Words
  • 4,571 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

School Daze - 16. Chapter 16

~*~*~16

“Yeah man…” Jaxson laughed heartily, slapping himself on the knee as he wiped the tears from the corner of his eye. “You should have seen the look on his face. He was scared shitless.”

“Are you sure? Because, I could have sworn I smelled something foul coming from the back seat.” Tank laughed jokingly.

Jaxson and the guys were still pumped from the night with Jace. They came by to visit Joel, filling him in on their little “Sting Operation.”

“I mean, I felt just like I was in the fuckin Godfather or something, man.” He laughed. “Tank had the music blasting; it was dark and not many cars on the roads. It was all I could do to keep for laughing my ass off.” Jaxson recalled through laughter.

Colin let out an exasperated sigh, rolling his eyes toward the ceiling in amusement at the excitement in Jaxson’s voice as he relived that Hopeful night.

“He actually thought Tank was going to kill him.” Emmett added laughing into his fist.

“I was…” Tank stated emphatically eyeing Emmett, “While you’re bull shittin.” He rolled his eyes as he leaned back against the wall.

“Wow…” Joel nodded, still not believing Jace would do something so drastic…so desperate. He found his mind drifting, not even hearing the conversation going on around him. He smiled every so often pretending to listen, but his smile soon faded as reality hit him. Sure, he had great friends, and thought it was amazing that they could come up with such a plan, a plan that could have easily failed, but they were willing to try it anyway. Truth was, as much as he appreciated it, it still didn’t change things. He still would never be able to play football again. He made Ryan and his family a promise. As far as he was concerned, football would never be an option for him. He knew in his heart he was lying to them, but a promise is a promise and this was one he planned to keep, even if it killed him inside.

“Oh yeah…” Joel smiled dismissing the thought, bringing himself back into the conversation.

“Hell yeah…” Jaxson laughed unaware Joel didn’t even know what they were talking about.

“So…um, what happens now?” Joel asked looking around the room at his friends.

“Well…” Colin spoke up, “He’s going to do some time. How much I don’t know.” He shrugged his shoulders. “It’s his first offense. But he is kicked out of school effective immediately.”

Joel sighed shaking his head. “I just don’t believe it.” He stated sadly.

“I know man,” Emmett agreed, “But everything is going to be alright.” He said encouragingly patting Joel on the leg.

“So…” Tank took a deep breath looking around the hospital room. “When do you get out of here?” He asked changing the subject.

“Doctor Levy came by this morning, and said he was releasing me today.” Joel smiled nodding slowly.

“Really…cool,” Colin said with excitement in his voice.

“I know and not soon enough for me.” Joel admitted through a light chuckle.

“I bet Ryan’s happy. That guy has been spending everyday here since they brought you in.” Jaxson commented, then drew his brows together, tilting his head slightly. “I need me a Ryan.” He laughed teasingly.

“Yeah, he got any sisters?” Tank asked jokingly.

“Yes, he does actually. But you could go to jail for that.” Joel teased.

“Nawh, I’m not about to do any time for some shit like that.” Tank waved him off dismissively. “I need a real woman.”

“Hey, where is Ryan anyway?” Emmett asked curiously.

“He had an exam this afternoon and a swim meet.” Joel informed them holding his head up high, feeling proud of his boyfriend.

“Oh Yeah…” Colin was about to ask Joel a question when the door to Joel’s room opened and Nurse Durham walked in getting everyone’s attention.

“Okay boys, times up.” She informed them glancing around the room. Nurse Durham was a portly little woman in her mid fifties, her gray hair, she wore pulled up in a neat bun. She was the charge nurse on the floor Joel was assigned to.

The guys didn’t buck her as they did the other nurses. They knew better. All it took was one time, and they knew she meant business, especially when she grabbed Jaxson by the ear and escorted him out of the room a few days prior. They kindly said their good byes’ to Joel, nodded to nurse Durham respectfully and made their exit quiet and orderly. She smiled with her hands on her hips watching them leave, closing the door behind.

“You have some nice friends, Joel.” She said as she picked up his chart. “Sooo… I hear you’re going home today.” She stated with enthusiasm lacing her voice.

“Yepp, that’s what Dr. Levy said this morning.” Joel advises her as he watched her flip through his chart.

“Good, I bet you’re ready to go home. ‘ Ahhh…’” She opened her mouth wanting Joel to mimic her as she held the thermometer up placing it under his tongue. She placed her thumb on his wrist, checking her watch as she monitored his pulse. Joel sat patiently waiting. She sighed as she made notes in his chart before pulling the thermometer from under his tongue, checking it closely.

“Well…” Joel inquired hopeful.

“Everything looks fine Joel.” She placed the blood pressure cuff on his arm and pumped the little black ball tightening the sleeve. “She laughed shaking her head fondly.

“What?” Joel asked as she pulled the Velcro band from around his arm.

“I was just thinking. We’re going to miss you around here.” She admitted folding the instrument and placing it back in its case.

“Really?” Joel asked incredulously. “Me…why?” He asked with one brow raised.

“Are you serious…you’re a celebrity around here.” She laughed as she made notes in his chart.

“A celebrity…Me?” He drew his brows together slightly confused.

“Yes you.” She teased. “Not to mention all the ruckus your friends caused.” She added, “But I can tell they’re good kids.”

“Yeah…” Joel agreed, thinking how lucky he was to have friends like them.

“Oh and that cute little, Ryan, he’s a nice fella.” She smiled fondly. “Joel, can I ask a favor of you?” She asked, her voice taking on a more serious tone.

“Sure… what?”

Nurse Durham sat down on the chair by the bed. “Now, you can say no if you want, but we have a patient on the children’s cancer floor and he is a huge fan of number 21. And we were all talking and wondered if you would go pay him a visit before you go home. He was in remission and his cancer is back, and it would really make his day if you went by and saw him”

“Of course I will, when?” Joel asked eagerly.

“Right now, if it’s okay.”

“Let’s go.” Joel said getting out of bed. He slipped on his slippers, and adjusted his clothing, checking himself out in the mirror while musing his hair with his fingers. “Okay, I’m ready.” He smiled.

Nurse Durham placed her hand on Joel’s shoulder and smiled sincerely, “Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me, I’m happy to do it.” He replied genuinely.

Once they stepped off the elevator all eyes were on the tall brunette and nurse Durham. You could hear a pin drop. The nurses at the nurse’s station all stopped what they were doing, so did the patients and their family member littering the lobby and hallways.

Whispers and nods confirming it was indeed, Joel Masterson number 21 could be heard as he passed them. Nurse Durham walked proudly as she escorted Joel down the hall. He noticed the children’s floor was much more cheerful. The walls were brightly painted in a rainbow of colors with cartoon characters on each patient’s door and big elephant foot prints on the floor guiding you down the corridors.

“Hey Joel Masterson…Right.” A young man wearing a red cubs baseball cap called out.

“Hey man what’s up?” Joel nodded with a smile.

“That was a hell of a game against IU. How you feeling man…that was some hell of a hit.” He asked excitedly yet with concern.

“I’m good…Thanks”

“Um… hey.” The young man stalled. “Can I get a picture?” He asked pulling his phone from his pocket.

“Yeah…sure.” Joel readily agreed.

He handed nurse Durham his phone. “You mind?”


“No…not at all. How do you use this?” She asked examining his phone.

“Just hold it up and press the button in the back.” He said excitedly as he placed one arm on Joel’s shoulder and the other on his own hip with a huge grin.

“Okay…hold still. Say cheese.”

“Cheese…” they both laughed. Nurse Durham snapped the picture, handed him back his phone watching as he reviewed it.

“It’s okay?” Joel asked.

“Perfect…thanks man.” He said shaking Joel’s hand. “I can’t believe this.” He laughed examining the picture. He glanced up still preoccupied and smiled, “See you on the field, man. Oh and thanks again.” He said holding up his phone as he punched in a number. Joel and Nurse Durham laughed as he walked down the hall talking on his phone. “Yeah, man, Joel Masterson.” He laughed into the phone. “Yeah and I got proof…yeah… hang up and I’ll send it to you.” He laughed as he turned the corner.

Joel nodded and smiled graciously as he disappeared from his view, his voice still echoing down the corridor. He knew the young stranger in the cubs cap would find out soon enough.

“Okay, let’s go see Corey.” Nurse Durham motioned for him to follow her as she led him to room 314. The door was opened slightly and Joel could see little Corey sitting on his bed. He was so engrossed in the game he was playing he didn’t notice the Running Back enter his room. The woman sitting on the chair next to his bed gasped silently with a huge smile on her face. Joel assumed it was Corey’s mother. She glanced to the little boy then back to Joel and nodded approvingly.

Joel gave her a quick wave as he tipped toed over to Corey. Nurse Durham stood quietly by the door observing with her fingers laced together resting her hands on her round belly.

“Hey Corey.” Joel ducked his head shyly as he stepped closer to the bed. Corey glanced up, his eyes wide as saucers and his mouth a gaped in awe.

“Oh My God...MOM!” He squealed with excitement tapping his mother on the shoulder, never taking his eyes off Joel hoping this was not a dream.

“I see…I see son.” She giggled holding her hand to her chest.

“Hey…” Joel laughed watching the shocked expression on Corey’s face. Corey looked to be about ten years old. His head was bald from the chemo, and his eyes were dark as coals. His skin was pasty white, except for the black and blue bruises on his arm from where the IV’s were hooked in, but that didn’t deflect from the sparkle in his eyes.

“Um…hell…hello.” He stammered, through a cheeky grin.

“What you got there?” Joel nodded to the game in his hands.

“Corey’s mom stood up, “Please sit down.” She requested giving up her chair.

“No, that’s okay.” Joel smiled shaking his head.

“I insist.” She reached for his hand, taking it into hers. She mouthed, “Thank you.”

Joel nodded giving her a hug before taking his seat.

“It’s Madden’s NCAA Football 10.” He replied excitement still evident in his tone.

“Oh…yeah.” Joel smiled leaning over to get a better view. “Who’s your favorite team?”

“Are you kidding me? North Western of course.” He laughed. “Wanna play?” He nodded eagerly.

“Sure…Can I play as myself?”

“Nawh…That’s my player, but you can pick another one.”

“Awww…okay.” Joel pouted pretending to be disappointed. Nurse Durham and Corey’s mom watched with tears in their eyes as Joel and his new pal engaged in an aggressive game of football.

They didn’t know where the time went. It wasn’t until the soothing voice of the young nurse interrupted them.

“Corey it’s time for your treatments.”

“Awww…right now, but we’re in the middle of our third game…And I’m winning.” He protested.

“Come on little buddy, you have to listen to the nurse. They’re only doing what’s best for you. And you do want to get better don’t you?” He eyed Corey kindly, patting him on the shoulder.

“Okay…” Corey conceded sitting the game in his lap, his shoulders slumped, his head hanging low.

“It’s okay.” Joel lifted his chin lowering his head trying to make eye contact with him. “I really had fun. But I have to ask you; don’t brag too much about beating me.” Joel teased….

“Okay.” Corey’s eye lit up again. “Mom?” He nodded to the football sitting in the corner. She handed him his most prized possession. “Um…Will you?” He asked his eyes full of hope as he held out the football.

“It would be an honor.” Nurse Durham pulled a black marker from her pocket; handed it to Joel and stepped back humbly. They watched wondering what Joel was writing; it was obvious it was more than just his name.

Joel scribbled one last thing before tossing it back to Corey. He smiled as Corey caught it at his chest with both hands. Corey read the signature, his mouth widen with surprise.

“Really?” He looks up in wonderment.

“Yepp.” Joel smiled pressing his lips tightly together.

“What’s it say son?” Corey’s mom asked leaning over to read it.

“It says…‘To Corey, the #1 NCAA draft pick of the future…Joel Masterson.’” He read with a bright smile on his face.

“Again thank you so much, it really means a lot.” Corey’s mom said giving Joel another hug.

“You’re welcome…Bye Corey.” Joel waved as he and nurse Durham turned to leave.

“Bye Joel.” Corey waved as the nurse helped him out of bed and into his wheel chair.

Joel had his arms crossed in front of him as they waited quietly for the elevator. Joel sighed thoughtfully chewing on the inside of cheek, before breaking the silence.

“Thank you.” He said still looking straight ahead.

“You’re welcome.” She smiled, not diverting her gaze from the elevator. She knew what Joel was thanking her for, though; it appeared this visit was for Corey, it was for Joel too. Nurse Durham was aware of Joel’s situation. She figured it had been hard on him. But if he could see that he was not the only one going through something, maybe just maybe he could find a sense of peace. He might not be able to play football anymore, but he was indeed the lucky one, he was going home today unlike little Corey who would now call Chicago Memorial home.

~*~*

Joel was busily gathering his things together waiting for his parents to pick him up. The doctor had just released him giving his instructions for home care when he heard a tap at the door.

“Oh…” He looked up in surprise, “Coach Jackson…hey.” He smiled kindly.

“Masterson…” He nodded as he stepped into the room, gripping his cap in his hand tightly with a manila folder tucked under his arm. He glanced around noticing Joel was packing up his things. “Looks like you’re heading out.” He observed.

“Yeah, and not a moment too soon,” Joel laughed. “My parents are on their way.”

“Hummm…May I?” Coach Jackson nodded to the empty chair located next to window.”

“Sure…” Joel replied as he continued to pack up his school books, Ryan brought him. Once he came out of the coma, he got back to his schoolwork right away. The teachers would send Joel his assignments, and Jaxson brought him his laptop that way he could access the homework hotline if he needed, not to mention do his homework and email certain assignments to his teachers.

“So…how are you feeling?” The coach asked wringing his cap in his hands nervously.

“Good…good, the headaches are becoming less frequent. “ Joel admitted as he zipped up his messenger bag.

“You know Masterson; you got a pretty raw deal.” He said sadly.

“Yeah…” Joel sighed, dropping down on the bed. He placed his hands in his lap. He tried not to think about it most of the time and his friends and family made it a point not to bring it up.

“You know, I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.” He nodded trying to make eye contact with Joel.

“I guess…” Joel shrugged.

“Sometime we might not see it, or understand it, but we should never question it.”

Joel laughed humorlessly, “Well I don’t understand it and I do question it.” He admitted honestly.

“I know son.” Coach Jackson smiled. “You know Joel; you have been on my mind since this travesty began. I have to admit I was surprised that boy turned himself in.”

Joel smiled, because he knew the truth... “Yeah…” He laughed.

“Anyway Joel, the reason I’m here is to ask you a favor.” He said pulling the folder from under his arm.

“Sure…” Joel replied thinking this must be the day for favors.

“I wanted to drop these plays off to you. I wanted you to look over them; it’s for our next game against Ohio.” He said scratching his head as he handed Joel the folder.

Joel took the folder from his hand and flipped through the pages. “Why…You know I can’t play anymore.” He said still scanning the folder.

“I know...I know. Joel you were, ARE.” He corrected himself, “The best Running Back I have ever had the honor of coaching. You know that position like the back of your hand. I mean.” He shook his head in amazement. “It’s like you invented it.”

Joel smiled still confused at what the coach was wanting. “Thanks, but what are you asking?”

Coach Jackson sighed, hitting his cap on his knee. “I want you to assist Coach Howard on the offensive line.”

“Really?”

“Yes…son you may not be able to run that ball, but you sure in the hell can teach them how to do it.”

Joel stood motionless, wondering if he heard the coach correctly. So are you saying you want me on the team?”

“No…not on the team, coaching the team. Now you won’t be paid, but you will receive credit for it, not to mention, I’ve received a few calls from some of the teams that were looking at you son. And my dream is to be working beside you one day or against you.” He gave Joel a quick wink.

“Okay…okay, sure.” Joel grinned from ear to ear.

“So…when do you head back to class?” The coach asked.

“Tomorrow.”

“Full schedule?”

“That’s the plan.” Joel confirmed.

“Good.” Coach Jackson stood up placing his cap on his head. “See you after class. And son I’m gonna need you to have gone over those plays,” he nodded to the folder, the game is a week from Saturday”

“Sure thing, you can count on me coach.”

“I know I can.” Coach Jackson nodded as he headed for the door.

“It feels so good to be back.” Joel smiled.

“Back…Masterson, you never left.” The coached called back over his shoulder as he excited the room.

Joel laughed, feeling an overwhelming sense of joy. He held the folder tightly against his chest and sighed.

~*~*~

Joel and Mitch sat in the corner of Joel and Jaxson’s dorm. Mitch was reviewing the folder coach Jackson left Joel, while he watched his mom busily move about the room. She was changing his sheets with new ones she brought. He offered to help, but his request was denied.

“Let her do this son.” Mitch whispered in his ear, “This is her time to be motherly. She misses it now that you boys are all grown up.”

Janice bought Joel new sheets, a basket full of organic fruit and a fifty-dollar ITunes card.

“So what are you going to get into today?” Mitch asked as he watched his wife stuffing pillows into the pillowcases.

“He’s going to rest.” Janice answered matter of factly. “Right son?” She eyed him from across the room as she adjusted the pillows on the bed.

“Right mom….” Joel sighed. Then added. “I was thinking about finding Ryan and surprising him. Maybe take him out to dinner.”

“That would be nice. Give him some money Mitch.”

“Mom…” Joel protested, “I have money.”

“Well you do have something to celebrate; I mean this is really cool.” He nodded to the folder he just placed on the bed as he pulled out his wallet. He leafed through the bills handing Joel three crisp twenties. “Will this be enough?” He questioned.

“Dad…” Joel sighed.

“Take the money son.” Janice said sweetly smoothing out the sheets.

“Take it…you know your mother.” He whispered in Joel’s ear, stuffing the money into Joel’s hand.

“Thanks…” He sighed reluctantly, placing the money in his pocket.

“Come on Sweets, we need to be heading back, I want to beat the traffic. Plus I have a meeting with the Buyers this afternoon.” Mitch said as he stood up placing his hands in the pocket of his jeans. Joel did the same, resting his hand on his father’s shoulder.

“Thanks for everything you guys.”

“No problem.” Janice smiled, using the back of her hand to remove the stray strains of hair from her eyes. She wrapped her arms around her son’s neck; standing on the tips of her toes, she kissed him on the cheek. “Oh…” She snapped her fingers, “don’t forget to invite Ryan and his parents to our house for either Christmas or Thanksgiving, either one.”

“Mom…Ryan has a pretty large family and they have a tradition. I’m not sure they are going to want to give that up, for “Tu-Furkey.” Joel teased.

“Don’t be silly.” She giggled slapping Joel across the chest.

“Owww…” Joel pouted.

“Your dad will order a real turkey from the market. I know people like their traditions. And I promise to be good and not ‘police’ everyone.” She smirked. “I just want to meet them. Their son is an important part of My son’s life, and that means a lot to me.”

“I’ll ask.” He promised, kissing his mom tenderly on the forehead.

“Okay son. If you need anything just call me. Oh and tell Brye to call I have something for him.”

“Will do. Thanks dad.”

Joel walked his parents to the door and waved good-bye. He glanced at the clock over his desk noticing the time. He had at least two hours before Ryan was out of swim practice. He set his alarm to wake him giving himself enough time to meet Ryan right when he got out.

Joel walked across the campus observing everything. For some reason it all felt different somehow… larger, or maybe he just felt incredibly small. Nothing had changed on the outer exterior. He still received the same warm greetings, high fives, and pats on the back, but he couldn’t help but wonder who all knew and would they still treat him the same once they found out.

He sighed shoving his hands deeper into the pocket of his jeans thinking back to his visit with Corey. He would always remember that. He learned something today. He was indeed blessed. Though there was this monster inside his brain that would be with him forever, it would not ruin his life, he was determined not to let that happen. Life was a precious give to be cherished and enjoyed and that’s what he was going to do.

He sat on the bench across from the Natatorium waiting for Ryan. He couldn’t wait to share the news about his day. He smiled sitting up straight as he noticed Ryan and his teammates exit the building. He knitted his brows together with a look of confusion, and his smile slowly faded when he noticed a taller guy walking Ryan out of the building.

The fact that he was walking with Ryan was not the problem, the problem was, he had his hand on Ryan’s shoulder caressing the lower part of his neck. Joel stood to his feet quickly, almost breaking his neck walking briskly toward Ryan and the handsome young man.

Joel raised his brow giving Ryan a quick nod, “Hey Ryan.” He greeted forcing a smile.

“Joel!” Ryan’s eyes widen with surprise and a huge smile crossed his lips. “Why didn’t you tell me you were getting out of the hospital today?” He asked excitedly as he wrapped his arm around Joel's neck pulling their bodies together.

“I knew you were busy today. And I wanted to surprise you.” He answered locking his gaze on the young man that stood in the background combing his fingers through his damp dark hair.

“Oh…I’m sorry.” Ryan smiled looking back over his shoulder at Alec. “Joel this is Alec. Alec this is my boyfriend Joel.”


“Hey man, nice to meet you.” Alec extended his hand to shake Joel’s.

“Yeah…” Joel said sizing Alec up. “You too.”

“Um…Ryan, I think I’m going to get going.” He cleared his throat feeling an uncomfortable vibe.

“Okay…Oh and Alec thanks for the massage it really did help.”

“Massage?” Joel repeated incredulously, glaring at Alec.

“No…no, not like that.” Alec held his hands up defensively.

“Then like what?” Joel asked wrapping his arms around Ryan’s waist pulling him close.

“Oh…” Ryan laughed sensing the contention in his boyfriend’s voice. “Alec was showing me a stroke I could use that wouldn’t put so much stress on this muscle.” He said placing his hand on Joel’s shoulder imitating Alec’s move.

“Yeah man that’s it.” Alec agreed. “Anyway. It was nice meeting you.” He said with apprehension in his voice.

“Yeah…” Joel nodded softening his expression, pressing his lips together tightly.

“See you around Ryan.” He waved as he headed off in the direction of the dorms. Joel watched him suspiciously until he was out of his view.

“So…” Ryan took Joel’s hand into his lacing their fingers together. “You should have called me; I would have come to the hospital.”

“It’s okay my mom and dad were there.” He said still looking toward the dorms. “Does he always do that?”

“What?”

“That? Having his hands all over you.”

“You mean Alec?”

“Yes…yes I mean Alec.” Joel replied in a slightly elevated tone.

“Well, no…and he didn’t have his hands all over me Joel.” Ryan defended.

“I don’t like it.”

“Like what?” Ryan challenged crossing his arms over his chest.

“Another guy touching you, that’s all.”

“Oh.My.God.” Ryan laughed.

“It’s not funny.” Joel said with irritation in his voice.

“Yes it is. Joel you of all people can’t be jealous.”

“I’m not jealous.” Joel answered defensively.

“Well I sure hope not, because you are in no position to talk young man.” Ryan said shaking finger at Joel reprimanding him. “You have guys and girls all over you all the damn time and I have to deal with it, so don’t come at me like that.” He pointed out only half teasing.

“No you don’t…not any more baby.” Joel turned to face Ryan, taking him into his arms. “I love you and I respect you and your feelings…Okay?” He tilted his head slightly locking gazes with Ryan lovingly.

“I love you too Joel.” Ryan smiled bringing his face closer to Joel’s allowing their lips to touch briefly. “I’m so glad to see you." Ryan said cheerfully as he and Joel walked across the campus hand in hand.

“But come on Joel, admit it, you were jealous.” He teased nudging Joel’s shoulder with his as they walked.

“No I wasn’t.” Joel laughed. “Okay…maybe a little.” He conceded holding up his thumb and forefinger.

“My grandmother always said, ‘It ain’t no fun when the rabbit got the gun.” Ryan laughed as they walked toward the dorms.

Joel laughed shaking his head, “Wow…I like that, so are you the rabbit?”

“Yes Joel…I’m the rabbit.” Ryan laughed as he tightened their grasp.

“I see…well Mr. Rabbit, wanna go back to my place? I got some new sheets we can break in.”

“Hell yeah, I’m in…crisp new sheets too.” Ryan nodded eagerly…”What about Jaxson?”

“If he’s there we can kick him out. Give him some money. Tell him to go have a coke and a smile. " Joel laughed. "And if you’re really good I’ll buy you dinner.” Joel winked sexily squeezing Ryan tightly around the waist.

“What do you mean, I’m always good.” Ryan retorted jokingly. “And you will buy me dinner.” Ryan smiled a toothy grin

“Damn right, and all mine too.” They walked into the bright sunlight allowing the sun’s rays to bathe their bodies feeling happier then they had been in a long time. They could finally breathe and it felt good…Life was good.

~*~*~

It had been two months since Joel got out of the hospital. The trees were bare of their foliage and winter was about to set in. Many students had already left school heading home for their winter break, to spend time with their loved ones.

Joel had one more game to assist in coaching before he could leave so Ryan decided to stay with him. Joel’s parents were coming up for the game and would take Brye back with them, while Joel would drive Ryan to his hometown, stay a few nights with his family and be home by Christmas.

Thanksgiving was perfect. Ryan’s parents, his brother and sisters spent the day with Joel’s family. Ryan was surprised to see Joel had just about as many family members as he did. Mitch’s brother, Robert was a hoot and kept everyone laughing the whole day. Janice kept her promise and laid out a big fest. There was turkey and dressing and a Tu-Furkey, Mashed potatoes, broccoli, green bean casserole, salad, macaroni and cheese, and dirty rice made with real crabmeat, not liver. Along with all the sweets, you could name.

Janice and Barbara hit it off perfectly as if they had known each other for years. Brye skipped out early after dinner in order to spend time with Olivia and her family. Her father was one of the few that made it home for the Thanksgiving Holiday and she wanted to show off her boyfriend.

~*~*~

“Wow…” Brye sighed in amazement as he folder his shirts, packing them in his suitcase. “I can’t believe it’s our winter break already.”

“I know, it seemed to go so fast, I mean with Joel getting hurt, the stuff with Jace, man that was a nightmare.” Ryan took a deep breath, “But we made it.” He nodded as he gathered his toiletries together placing them in his bag.

“Yepp, we sure did.” Brye replied thoughtfully. “I knew you would be perfect for him when I met you…Well after I confirmed you were gay.” He snickered.

“Nooo...really?” Ryan questioned curiously.

“Yeah man, seriously. I’m a pretty good judge of character.” He complimented his talents.

“Wow…”

“Oh yeah you should have seen your face when Joel walked into our dorm that night.”

“Shut up…” Ryan laughed tossing a pair of rolled up socks at his roommate.

“Hey…” Brye ducked. “I hope those were clean.” He laughed referring to the socks that landed on his bed.

“Well you found love too.” Ryan smiled. “Olivia is a great girl. And she really cares about you.”

“Yeah…” Brye said with a faraway look in his eyes. “You know.” He sat down on his bed. “I think I might love her a little.” He nodded.

“Oh boy the “L” word.” Ryan sat down on his bed across from his best friend. “That’s a big word you know.” Ryan teased.

“I said might.”

“Awww…come on Brye admit it, its okay.” Ryan tilted his head slightly trying to make eye contact. He waited for a reply bobbing his head.

“What?” Brye leaned back away from Ryan.

“I know you love her.” Ryan said with a huge grin. “ Want to know how I know?”

“You’re gonna tell me anyway, so go ahead.” Brye sighed rolling his eyes toward the ceiling.

“Remember our Pact. To have sex before our winter break.”

“How can I forget, you and Joel are screwing like bunnies.” Brye said shaking his head pretending to be upset.

“No... Well…Um… never mind about Joel and me. I’m talking about you.” Ryan eyed him with amusement. “You knew Olivia wasn’t coming off the goods and you’re still with her.” Ryan pointed out, “It must be love.” He smiled.

“Maybe.”

“Maybe my ass…just admit it, you’ll feel so much better.”

“I feel fine.” Brye frowned. “And who are you? Dr. Phil or something?”


“Dr. Smith to you.” Ryan teased, shaking his finger at his roommate.

“Whatever dude.” Brye dismissed Ryan as he continued to pack.

“The game was great.” Ryan mentioned changing the subject.

“Yeah it was.” Brye said in awe. “I can’t believe they honored Joel that way during halftime. Hell I was about to cry.” Brye admitted. “My mom was a mess, Olivia, and dad was a mess, hell we all were a mess.”

“Me too.” Ryan sighed. “He deserved it. He’s a good guy. I love him so much.” Ryan said his tone full of love and admiration.

“Yeah…he loves you two. See I knew what I was doing.” Brye said blowing on his fist before rubbing it against his chest, proudly.

“Yeah,” Ryan nodded reflecting back to his and Joel’s first meeting. “Thank you Brye.”

“You’re welcome. You know without being all sappy, I just want you to know I’m happy we met this year. With all the horror stories, about the roommates from hell, not only did I find a great roommate, but I found a best friend.”

Ryan smiled, “Yeah…I feel the same way. I didn’t know what to expect either, but you made the transition easy for me. You welcomed me and I consider you my best friend, even though you tried to sell me out.” Ryan teased.

“Damn, you’re never gonna let me live that down are you?”

“Are you kidding," Ryan laughed, "that’s going down in the record books. That’s classic. I’ll be telling your kids and grand kids about that one dude.”

“Jeeze…” Brye sighed dragging his suitcase off the bed. “We better get going. Before Mom sends up Joel, worse yet before she comes up herself.” He laughed.

“Yeah…You got everything?” Ryan asked, throwing his backpack over his shoulder. He glanced around the room giving it a once over. He smiled looking at the space where Rihanna’s poster used to be remembering the night he helped Brye put it up and laughed silently.

“Yeah…he loves her.” Ryan said in an undertone.

“Huh?” Brye said as he opened the door ushering Ryan to go first.

“Oh…nothing.” Ryan laughed turning out the light. He glanced over his shoulder once more fondly, before closing and locking the door behind them.

And thats a wrap....... EPILOGUE TO FOLLOW.....
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Aww... :)

Corey is an Angel. and look how he fulfilled his duty here on earth? :D

The boys grew up in such short a time, i can feel another awww coming up, so imma shut up now! :P

Link to comment
On 03/24/2013 05:33 PM, johnnyjon1 said:
Such a sweet and exciting story. Nicely done. Thank you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read School Daze. I'm totally happy you enjoyed the ride. Thanks for the reviews and kind words as well, they fuel the writers soul.

 

Kim :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..