Jump to content
    Naptowngirl
  • Author
  • 6,068 Words
  • 5,939 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

School Daze - 17. Chapter 17 the Epilogue

The Epilogue

~*~*~The Epilogue

The room was quiet and still, with just a hint of the sun’s rays shining from the east through opened blinds. It was 8AM on a cool Thanksgiving morning and Ryan and Joel were coming out of the bathroom, their towels draped around the waist after showering together.

“Owww…Oops…shit.” Ryan stumbled into Joel’s back to prevent himself from falling.

The sudden jolt took Joel by surprise, “Hey…are you okay?” He asked with concern reaching behind him to prevent Ryan’s fall.

Shhh…” Ryan whispered, placing his finger to his lips. Joel sighed rolling his eyes slightly frustrated as he adjusted his towel tighter around his waist. Ryan kissed him on the shoulder as he walked past him over to the dresser.

“You know Ryan this is getting ridiculous.” Joel said in a hushed tone nodding toward the bed. He stood with his arms crossed over his bare chest; his feet shoulder width apart shaking his head. His hair was still wet dripping beads of water into his eyes.

“I know…I know.” Ryan agreed his back toward Joel, as he looked through the drawer to find him and Joel a fresh pair of underwear. He pulled out two pairs, tossing one to Joel before closing the drawer quietly.

“Thanks…” Joel said in a normal tone, catching the article of clothing.

“Shhh….” Ryan shrieked drawing his shoulders up to his ears. “You’re gonna wake her up.” He whispered anxiously. Both he and Joel glanced over to their bed where their two-year-old daughter was sleeping soundly, sucking viciously on her pacifier causing it to make a squeaking sound with each suck.

Nuri lay on her back wearing a pink tee shirt and a pull up, her head resting on their pillow, like the queen she was on her fathers’ bed. Nuri…meaning light, in Arabic. She, was named by her grandmother Janice. She took one look at her the day she was born, and said she would indeed be the light of the world; after all, she was already the light in grand pa Mitch’s eye. She looked like her daddy, Joel. Her hair was course, black and full of curls that were already caressing her tender shoulders. Her eyes were a deep blue that would melt the coldest of hearts.

“Ryan, she’s been sleeping with us for three weeks now. She needs to go back in her own bed. I mean come on.” Joel pleaded while towel drying his hair.

“I know Joel.” Ryan sighed, “But she either cries or calls me all night when I put her in there.” He replied as he pulled up his underwear, gazing at his sleeping angel. “ And with you being out of town, I couldn’t get any sleep.”

“She’s spoiled…” Joel replied, pulling a shirt off the hanger. "And I've been home for the last three weeks Ryan." He stressed.

“But she’s a good baby.” Ryan defended with a shy smile.

“A good spoiled baby.” Joel laughed as he pulled his shirt over his head. “You know Ryan I’m all down for good clean morning sex, but this sex in the bathroom all the time can be a bit tiring. I mean I almost broke my back last week trying to hold you up, keep us from falling and breaking both our ass’s.” He laughed.

“I know.” Ryan nodded pressing his lips together tightly. Ryan had awakened Joel this morning with kisses, seducing him, sliding his hand under the elastic waistband caressing Joel’s morning erection. He was feeling amorous and wanted to make love with his husband before he left for the day, so he dragged him into the bathroom to keep from waking the baby. Their morning romp in the shower left Ryan feeling completely satisfied.

Ryan tried to suppress his laughter and sound sincere. “I know baby.” He pouted sympathetically as he padded over to his husband. “But I’ve noticed you’re shoulders are more defined.” He gazed deeply into his husband’s eyes caressing Joel’s muscular arm.

“Funny, Ryan.” Joel sighed dryly as he sidestepped Ryan, pushing him out of his way.

“I’m serious.” Ryan laughed walking up behind him. He wrapped his arms around Joel’s waist resting his head against his back enjoying the feel of his muscles flexing through the cotton fabric as Joel tucked the white polo styled jersey into his khaki pants.

“You think dad and Robert are up.” Joel asked as he buckled his belt before turning to kiss Ryan on the mouth.

“Mmmm…” Ryan moaned in approval. “I think I heard them in the kitchen. You know my dad; he gets up at the crack of dawn thirty.” He yawned scratching the top of his head. “I think I’m gonna go back to bed.” He said trying to stifle a second yawn.

“Yeah…get some rest baby.” Joel smiled lovingly caressing Ryan’s cheek.

“Let me go get these guys, so we can get out of here.”

“I think Brye might be still sleep.” Ryan stated as he climbed back into bed next to his little girl. “He was pretty wasted last night.”

“Yeah he was.” Joel laughed. “I had fun. It was nice to get out with family and friends again.” Joel said fondly as he picked up his cap.

Ryan climbed back in bed pulling the covers over him and Nuri making sure she was nice and warm. “I know. I had a blast.” Ryan sighed as he rested his tired head comfortably on his pillow.

They didn’t get home until three this morning. Janice, Mitch, Robert, Barbara, and the kids arrived on Tuesday. They rented a luxury passenger van and decided to drive in together, while Brye, Olivia and their three-month-old son Ryder flew in from New York yesterday.

The family decided to spend Thanksgiving with Ryan and Joel in Indianapolis this year. Last night they all went out for a night on the town, leaving the grandparents and younger ones at home watching movies they rented from the local video store and babysitting.

“It was really nice seeing Emmett again.” Ryan said snuggling under the covers.

“I know, I can’t believe, Emmett in a Rock Band.” Joel said with disbelief.

“Yeah, they were pretty good too.”

“I can’t wait for Jaxson and Tank to get in tonight and take them downtown to see him. It’s going to be just like old times.” Joel smiled with a faraway look in his eyes.

“DADDY…DADDY!” A small, yet high-pitched voice filled with excitement interrupted the moment.

“Shhh…” Both Ryan and Joel said frantically placing their fingers to their lips... Joel laughed shaking his head while Ryan tried to cover the baby’s ears.

“Oops….” Little Corey giggled covering his mouth with his hand. Joel and Ryan agreed to name their five-year-old son after Corey White, the little boy Joel met while in the hospital several years ago. He had a profound impact on Joel’s life that day and he always wanted to remember him.

Corey stood proudly wearing a pair of dark blue jeans that were an inch and a half too short, and a slightly wrinkled with long sleeved white dress shirt that was a tad too small sporting a toothless grin, his long brown bangs falling messily in his light brown eyes.

Joel pressed his lips together tightly suppressing a laugh while his husband sat straight faced looking on.

“Okaay…” Ryan sighed.

“Ahem….” Joel cleared his throat squatting down eye level with his son. “Corey, who got you dressed this morning?”

“Me…” He answered proudly pointing to himself.

“And where did you get these clothes?” Joel asked nodding to his son’s unique attire.

“Out of the box in my room.”

“Box?” Joel knitted his brows together curiously.

“That would be the box I’m taking to Good Will next week.” Ryan mentioned with an exasperated sigh.

Corey nodded excitedly. “Yeah…” He grinned shoving his hand in the pocket of his jeans proudly.

“I see.” Joel placed his hand on his son’s shoulders. “How about you and I go find you something else to wear, and put these.” Joel said referring to the clothes his son was currently wearing, “back in the box…Okay?”

“Oh…Okay.” Corey pouted.

“No…no.” Joel soothed, sensing the disappointment in Corey’s voice. “You did great. It’s just your dad is giving these away.”

“Oh no, these are my clothes. He can’t give them away.” Corey challenged.

“Well, let me see.” Joel ran his finger under his chin thoughtfully. Ryan watched on admiringly. He loved seeing Joel match wits with his children. He dealt with them as if they were little adults, even Nuri. He was such a great father, patient, and kind with them.

“Okay…so remember the time you and dad.” He nodded toward Ryan. “Went to the shelter and passed out sandwiches and clothes?” He asked with a raised brow.

“Um-hum.” Corey nodded.

“Well, the clothes in the box are for them. You see. But, you did an amazing job dressing yourself.” Joel winked giving Corey a high-five. “Come on, let’s go change.” Joel stood up taking Corey’s hand.

“Are you taking him with you today?” Ryan asked as he lay back down.

“What do you say dude?” Joel eyed his son. “Are you hanging out with me?” Corey’s eyes lit up with excitement at the question and he nodded eagerly. “You sure you don’t want to come with us babe?” Joel asked Ryan once more.

“No, that’s okay. Let someone else have my spot.” Ryan offered kissing Nuri softly on the cheek. “Besides, the guys are excited about going. I’ll stay here and help get things ready.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah…come on daddy go with us.” Corey begged with pleading eyes.

Awww…” Ryan pouted sweetly. “Come here son.” Corey broke away from Joel running at full speed to his father wrapping his little arms tightly around his neck knocking Ryan breathless.

“Ummph…” Ryan chuckled. “You go, and you can tell me all about it, okay.” He smiled. “And don’t leave anything out…Tell me everything…spare me nothing.” He smirked. “And keep an eye on your dad for me.”

“Um…okay.” Corey agreed glancing around the room. “Um…” He hummed pressing his little finger to his lip. “Where’s the Nocklers?”

“Binoculars?” Ryan laughed.

“Yeah... the Ba…bin…noculars.” Corey tried his hardest to say it correctly.

“Ohhh…” Ryan laughed. “There in your father’s truck…right baby?”

“Yepp….come on, we need to get going. Let’s go find your grand pa’s, Kellan and wake up uncle Brye.” Joel motioned for his son. “Is there anything you need me to do before I go?” Joel asked Ryan as he and Corey were set to leave.

“As a matter of fact there is.” Ryan answered with a sense of urgency.

“What?”

“I need just one more kiss before you go.” Ryan tilted his head slightly with a sexy smile.

“Sure, anything for you.” Joel said as he walked confidently to his husband. He leaned forward taking Ryan’s face in the palm of his hand and kissed him sweetly. “I love you.”

“Love you too. Have fun guys.”

“We will. We’ll miss you and Nuri. Right, son?”

“I won’t miss her crying.” Corey stated matter of factly, placing his hands to his ears shaking his head, causing his fathers to laugh at his honesty.

“Out of the mouths of babes…” Joel chuckled taking Corey’s hand. “Let’s go.”

“Bye Daddy…” Corey waved.

“Bye, son.” Ryan said returning the wave as he snuggled under the covers. He smiled as he listened to Joel and Corey’s voices fade as they went further down the hallway, thinking, he truly had to be one of the happiest men alive right now. Joel promised him, he would give him everything his heart desired, all he had to do was trust him. That was nine years ago.

~*~*~

Joel graduated with honors, making the Dean’s List every semester, leaving Ryan with two years before he would graduate. This would be a test not only of their love, but also their Hope in their commitment and each other.

Joel was offered a coaching job at Michigan State as one of the Offensive Coordinators for the Spartans, which he accepted. His busy schedule left little or no time to see Ryan. During the season, he was busy traveling with the team. While, during the off-season he was busy recruiting, which means he was gone at least three weeks at a time.

The only redeeming quality was Michigan was only a four-hour drive or a thirty-minute flight to Chicago , which both Joel and Ryan willingly made as often as possible. When the time they had to spend together would be limited to a day or two Joel would fly Ryan in to see him or fly, himself, like the time he surprised Ryan for his birthday and the few times he showed up for Ryan’s swim meets unexpectedly. Money was tight, so Joel was renting a one bedroom flat trying to save as much money as he could. He put aside spending money for his trips to visit Ryan, or when he came to visit him in Michigan. Joel was frugal and saved as much as he could, building a nest egg for them. His starting salary was roughly fifty thousand a year.

The apartment was located on the upper north side in a quiet neighborhood, and Ryan had his own key. He would go stay at the apartment over the weekends and breaks from school, even when Joel was out of town. It just felt like home, not to mention, it made him feel even closer to Joel. Soon Joel started referring to it as their place. He made it official when he had Ryan’s name put on the lease, Ryan’s senior year of college. That thought brought a huge smile to Ryan’s face. That year Ryan’s life changed forever.

He smiled fondly reminiscing about that year as he rolled over on his side looking down at Nuri, his and Joel’s little girl. It still amazed him that they had children. It always wowed him. Corey, was his pride and Joy…his little solider, but Nuri was his little princess… his heart. He peeked around the room as if he was sneaking and with a sly smile, he reached over, grabbed Nuri, and gently laid her upon his chest, moving her hair from her face. She whimpered in protest at being moved from her comfortable place in the bed. “Shhh…” Ryan whispered rocking her back to sleep.

He laughed quietly, noticing her tiny lips were red, swollen, and slightly bruised from the pacifier that had fallen out of her mouth. They only allowed her to have it at bedtime. Their plan was to break her from it, but Joel didn’t want Ryan to have to deal with the crying alone so they decided they’d do it together, like they did everything else that involved their children. He carefully reached for the pacifier placing it back into her mouth making sure she was comfortable. Her breath hitched as she soon dozed back off to sleep resting her head on her father’s chest.

Ryan inhaled deeply allowing the smell of fresh baby powder and lotion to tickle his nose. Ryan closed his eyes thinking back to the talk he and Joel had over dinner.

It was a Friday night, the weekend before the Labor Day holiday to be exact. School was back in session and Ryan was now a senior. He would always remember that night.

~*~Flashback~*~

“So... how’s the creative writing class coming?” Joel asked pulling a piece of hot garlic bread from the loaf that sat in the middle of the table.

“It’s coming along. Ryan replied taking a sip of his amaretto sour. “I have a project due next week. I was hoping you could help me tonight.” He said as he crunched on a piece of ice.

“Sure. We can do that.” Joel smiled dipping his bread in the olive oil before taking a bite. “A nice quiet evening at home with my baby.”

“I know. Things have been so hectic. I’m excited we get to see each other two weekends in a row. When was the last time that happened since you graduated?”

“I know babe, I’m sorry.” Joel said apologetically.

“Don’t be.” Ryan said reaching for Joel’s hand. He laced their fingers together smiling kindly. “It’s your job.”

Joel heaved a heavy sigh, “I know. But it still doesn’t make it any easier.” He frowned. “I can’t wait till you graduate and move in with me.”

“You still want that?” Ryan questioned biting nervously on his lower lip. He remembered Joel mentioning that after making love a while back, but he was unsure as to whether he meant it or was just caught up in the moment.

“Of course…” Joel said with conviction. “I wish you could move right now. I miss you so much.” He paused for a moment in deep thought. “You know Ryan nights on the road are tough. I mean… really tough and lonely.”

“What do you do when you get lonely?” Ryan inquired hesitantly.

“Think about you.”

“And….”

“And….what?” Joel laughed.

“You don’t go out?” Ryan left the question hanging.

“You mean to meet someone?” Joel frowned. “Of course not. I love you Ryan.”

Ryan released the breath he was holding and breathed a sigh of relief.

“You don’t get it do you? You’re it for me.” Joel said looking intently into Ryan’s eyes.

“I do…I do. And I love you too Joel.”

“Good. Because, I want to talk to you about something.”


“What?” Ryan smiled.

“Whew…” Joel sighed sitting straight up in his chair. “Okay, you see Ryan I’ve been thinking.”

“Here you go fellas’.” Their server interrupted them. “Hot plates. Let’s see Shrimp Alfredo in a white wine clam sauce for you.” She sat the plate in front of Joel. “That means the Chicken Marsala is for you. It’s hot, so be careful.” She warned sitting the plate down it front of Ryan. “Can I get you guys anything else?” She asked eyeing each one of them.

“No.” Joel nodded to Ryan for a response. “I think we’re good.” Joel smiled.

“I’ll check on you two later, enjoy your meal.”

Joel placed his napkin in his lap before picking up his fork.

“So…you said you wanted to talk to me.” Ryan said through a mouth full of food taking a sip of his drink.

“Oh yeah.” Joel cleared his throat spearing a shrimp from his plate stalling.

“Well….” Ryan questioned with a shrug of the shoulder, wiping the corner of his mouth with his napkin.

“I thought I had it all figured out Ryan, and now I..I don’t know how to say it?” He admitted biting the shrimp off the fork before sitting it down on the plate.

“Say what?” Ryan asked. Joel had captured his attention.

“It’s just I think about you all the time. I mean you’ve been great, but I think. No, I know I want more.” He admitted sadly.

“More?” Ryan questioned with a confused gaze attacking his features.

“Yes, Ryan, more.”

“Joel, what do you mean.” Ryan’s voice had taken on a more serious tone.

“Um…I mean I love you.”

“I know.” Ryan smiled tilting his head slightly. “I think we’ve established that. So what’s the problem?” He asked, picking up his fork cutting through his chicken.

“There is no problem. I just don’t want to lose you, that’s all.”

“You won’t.” Ryan assured him.

“Prove it.” Joel challenged.

Ryan laughed lightly as he lifted his fork to his mouth. “Prove it…how?”

“Marry me.”

“Marry you?” Ryan repeated his fork still in the air. His eyes widened with confusion. “I thought we talked about it already.”

“You’re right…we did. But I mean marry me now. Like right now… today.” Joel said with a tone of desperation lacing his voice.

“Today…Joel?” Ryan asked, sitting his fork back in his plate. “I thought you wanted to..Um wait.”

“I…” Joel ran his fingers through his hair anxiously.

“I thought we talked about waiting till I finished school.” Ryan said before Joel could finish his thought.

“I know, but I don’t want to wait. I want to be more than your boyfriend. I want to be your husband. Marry me, Ryan.”

“I don’t know what to say, Joel.”

“Say yes…Say yes, Ryan.”

“Wow…I don’t know what I was expecting but this wasn’t it.” Ryan said finishing off his amaretto sour. Joel noticed the perplexity in Ryan’s eyes and called the waiter over to their table.

“We’ll take two more.” He nodded to their drinks. Ryan nodded toward the server placing his hands in his lap.

“You know, Ryan, I could back down, but I’m not.” Joel stated adamantly. “I know you love me.”

“I do, Joel.” Ryan agreed.

“You promised me something awhile back. Do you remember?”

“Um…”

“You said we could make new dreams together. Well… my dreams are with you.”

Ryan’s breath hitched at Joel’s confession. He placed his hand to his heart feeling slightly overwhelmed.

“Listen. I’ve done my research. We can get married in Canada. You don’t have to be a resident there, but there’s a five day waiting period after you apply for the license before you can actually get married.” Joel informed him. “It doesn’t cost that much and we can say we had our honeymoon in Canada.”

“Wow…” Was all Ryan could muster. He was still in somewhat of a haze trying to process what Joel was telling him.

“What about our parents, they’ll freak.” Ryan said.

“Then we won’t tell. Nobody has to know right now except you and me.”

“I don’t know, Joel.” Ryan said hesitantly biting on his fingernail.

“I know you’re scared.” Joel said with concern. And he was right, Ryan was scared…terrified that he wouldn’t live up to Joel’s expectations of him, that Joel thought too much of him. He didn’t see himself as Joel saw him.

“But don’t be. I love you and I promise you, I’ll make you as happy as you make me.” He said reaching across the table, taking Ryan’s hand into his. “I want you to belong to me,” His voice was deep and alluring. “Be mine, Ryan… forever.”

Ryan smiled softly staring into his boyfriends eyes seeing pure love and sincerity. “You know, Joel, our marriage won’t be recognized here.”

“Then we’ll move to Canada.” Joel laughed teasingly. “I’ll take care of the needed paperwork here in the states. But I want something tangible that says we belong to each other. And our marriage will be recognized… right here.” He said pointing to his heart.

“Here you go.” The server sat the drinks down on the table, interrupting their conversation.

“Thanks…” Joel nodded before turning his attention back to Ryan.

“Ryan. There will always be someone taller than me…smarter than me, and more handsome than me…but he will never be capable of loving you like I do.” He stated emphatically. “You make it easy to love you; it’s what I want to do for the rest of my life. I’ll see to it that you’re happy and never want for anything. I guarantee it”

“Joel…” Ryan sighed; the overwhelming feeling, was slowly being replaced with an overt sense of joy.

“Your love is pure. I don’t know, but I think it’s who you are, it’s how you love…it’s addicting.” Joel smiled sexily.

“Yes.”

“Yes ?”

“Yes, Joel, I’ll marry you.” Ryan grinned with tears in his eyes. “Yes.”

They both leaned forward bringing their lips together sealing it with a kiss.

~*~End of Flashback. ~*~

Ryan held his daughter tightly sighing contently. He and Joel were married a week later in Canada with Brye as their best man. He was the only person who knew Ryan and Joel were married, aside from Tank. Ryan stayed in Chicago finishing his senior year as a happily married man. They told their parents and friends they were actually married two years at the one-year anniversary dinner thrown by their parents, taking everyone by surprise.

~*~*~*

Ryan could hear the rustling of dishes, laughter, and idle chatter coming from the kitchen along with the savory aroma of mixed spices of as he made his way down the hall. He smiled, stopping at the entrance of the living room watching his younger sister sitting on the floor, her legs crisscrossed with a large bowl of popcorn between them watching the holiday classic ‘Home Alone’. He loved the holidays, but most importantly he loved sharing them with family, and this year he and Joel were opening their home to both of their families.

“Morning…” He waved as he stepped into the kitchen. He ran his fingers through his bangs removing them from his eyes as he glanced around the room. He was dressed very casual, wearing a madras plaid button down shirt in vibrant colors of red, turquoise, and black along with a pair of distressed faded jeans.

Everyone stopped what they were doing to greet him.

“Morning?” His mother smiled lovingly. “It’s 12:30 in the afternoon.” She informed him while placing dishes into the dishwasher.

“That’s what happens when you stay out all night.” Janice laughed sitting on a barstool at the island in the middle of the kitchen. She was holding her sleeping grandson, Ryder in her arm, while holding a glass of white wine in hand, careful not to spill any as she took a sip.

He walked over to the island resting his arms on the counter taking it all in. He loved having his kitchen filled with his most treasured possession…His family. “Thank you.” He smiled taking the cup of coffee from Olivia. He took a sip careful not to burn his tongue.

“You’re welcome,” She smiled giving her brother in law a kiss on the cheek before bouncing happily back to her task of peeling potatoes for the homemade garlic mashed potatoes. She wore her hair pulled up in a ponytail that allowed her natural curly hair to frame her slender face. She and Brye had been married almost as long as Ryan and Joel. She kept true to her word; they made love for the very first time on their wedding night. Brye was the District Attorney for the State of New York, while she was a licensed Orthodontist, up until three months ago when they had their first child. Ryder Jacob Masterson.

“Looking good, ladies.” Ryan complimented opening the oven door. He took a long deep breath inhaling the mouth-watering aroma. Inside was a roasted turkey, big enough to feed an army and that’s what they were feeding tonight.

“See I think I’ll just delegate.” He laughed jokingly.

“I don’t think so young man.” Barbara laughed pouring herself a glass of wine.

“You tell him, mom.” Hope chimed in teasing her big brother. She was sitting at the end of the table next to her niece chopping vegetables for the salad.

“Mind your business, girl.” Ryan scolded shaking his finger reprimanding her.

Nuri sat in her highchair ,her tray full of chopped carrots, cucumbers, and celery. She begged for every vegetable Hope picked up, but once she got it, all she did was play with them. She was in her own little world until she heard the rich, hardy laugh of her father fill the kitchen.

“Daddy…up…up.” She giggled bouncing in her seat excitedly, her bright eyes begging for his attention. “Up…daddy.” She cried her arms out stretched summing him to come to her.

“Awww….look at my angel.” He smiled as he pulled the tray off the high chair. “Don’t you look pretty.” He said as more of a statement than a question commenting on her hair, which was pulled into a ponytail that sat on the top of head. “Who did it for you?” He asked as he picked her up.

Nuri blushed burying her head in her daddy’s chest displaying her deep dimples and pointed to her aunt Hope. Hope eased in Ryan’s bedroom stealing her nice while her brother slept. She bathed and dressed her bringing her out with the rest of the family.

“Don’t you act all shy with me little girl.” Hope laughed tickling her in her side causing Nuri to giggle and wiggle almost jumping out of Ryan’s arms.

“Hold on…” Ryan laughed trying to keep from dropping her. ”Thank you, Hope.” Ryan said appreciatively. He gave Nuri a big hug before putting her down. As soon as her little feet hit the floor, she was off to her grandma Janice.

“Baby…baby.” She pointed to a still sleeping Ryder placing her little chubby hands on Janice’s knee trying to get a closer look at her cousin. “I want to hold him…please.”

“Why, you’re just a baby yourself.” Barbara giggled, picking Nuri up from behind. Nuri wiggled in protest kicking her feet trying to get out of her grandmother’s arm.

“Put me down Nana…put me down.” Nuri cried. Barbara carefully lowered her down, patting her lovingly on the top of her head before she ran out of the kitchen as fast as her little legs could carry her.

“I love this kitchen, Ryan.” Janice complimented as she handed Ryder to Olivia. She ran her hands over the black and gray granite counter top, admiring the artisanship.

“Thank you.” Ryan smiled glancing around his kitchen. He and Joel had their home built three years ago. It was located in the Geist subdivision. The kitchen was one of Ryan’s favorite rooms in the house. He and Joel both loved to cook so they paid special attention to detail. The cabinets were 42” inch real maple wood, lots of counter space, real tile flooring, and stainless steel appliances. The walls were a creamy oatmeal color with white crown molding and red and rod iron accessories giving it that perfect touch.

“I love it.” Olivia agreed. “How often do you cook at home?” She asked propping Ryder up on her shoulder to burp him.

“All the time.” Ryan said I think Joel is a much better cook than I am.” Ryan admitted.

“So Ryan, when is the fourth installment of series going to hit the shelves?” His mom asked as she cautiously pulled the turkey out of the oven.

“Well, it’s with the editors right now.” He replied.

“Yeah…I really loved the first three.” Olivia added. “As a matter of fact I have School Daze, The Sophomore Year, in my bag. A girlfriend of mine found out you were my brother-in-law and gave me her copy for you to sign.” She giggled.

“And how did she find out your brother-in-law was Ryan Smith-Masterson…Hummm?” Janice teased.

“I have no idea.” Olivia laughed feigning innocence.

“Joel said you’ve been approached to turn the series into a movie.” Janice stated changing the subject.

“Yeah, I’m thinking about it.” Ryan said thoughtfully. His books were about a group of friends and the vicissitudes they face going from teens to adulthood.

“Yeah….” Hope sighed, “I totally fell in love with Dillon, he’s such a rebel.” She said with a dreamy look in her eyes.

“You stay away from the Dillons of the world, young lady.” Her mother chastised her teasingly. Everyone laughed making fun at Hope.

“Mom…” She crossed her arms over her chest, pretending to pout. “Ryan help me out here.”

“Uh…uh.” Ryan held up his hands in defense, shaking his head vehemently. “That’s between you and mom.” He laughed.

“Okay…” Olivia thought aloud. “So, Emmett is in town with his band. Jaxson and Tank get in this afternoon. What about Colin, where’s he?”

Jaxson and Tank were playing pro ball. Jaxson played for New England while Tank’s home was with the Baltimore Ravens. Out of all the friends, Tank was still the single one. He and Joel were still tight. He was the godfather to both Corey and Nuri. He and Joel saw each other at least twice a month without fail, and emailed and chatted on Facebook until the wee hours along with Emmett, and Jaxson all the time. Tank once told Joel, “There was just too much pussy he hadn’t tapped yet to settle down. And being a pro football player he didn’t have to wine and dine, he could get it for free.”

Emmett had a son with one of the girls in his band, while Jaxson had a steady girl he was bringing with him to dinner.

“Yeah, where is Colin?” Janice wondered.

“ He’s in Anchorage.” Ryan replied with a laugh.

“Alaska ?” Barbara asked with surprise.

“Yepp.” Ryan answered as he rinsed his cup out before placing it in the dishwasher. “Joel got an email from him two weeks ago. He works for some large software company heading up one of their departments. He’s getting married next year.”

“Colin?” Olivia laughed incredulously.

“I know…That’s what Joel said.” Ryan shrugged his shoulder dismissively.

“Well, if you need a babysitter, I’ll come stay with Corey and the baby.” Hope offered. “That is if mom and dad say it’s okay.” She said eyeing her mother.

“It’s okay with me.” Barbara replied, “Or the kids could stay with us while you guys are out of town.”

“Awww….Thanks Hope,” Ryan said kissing his sister on the cheek. “But I think Joel wants to take the kids, but… it could be a nice little get away for us.” He said thoughtfully. “So we’ll see.”

“Ryan, would you come and get your daughter?” Madeline asked with distress standing in the doorway.

“What’s she doing?” He asked getting up from the table.

“Well…I offered to share the popcorn with her and now she’s putting the uncooked kernels and half chewed popcorn back in the bowl.” She sighed rolling her eyes toward the ceiling, then added. “After she’s put them in her mouth, so the rest of the popcorn is all wet.” She said with disgust. "That's just gross."

Ryan laughed. “I’ll come and get her.” He sighed.

“I took the remote control away. She keeps trying to change the channel. “Saying her daddy is on TV.”

“Oh, she’s looking for Joel.” Ryan shook his head in amusement. “When we don’t go to the game we watch it on TV and I point Joel out to her.”

“How does she know?” Madeline whined in defeat.

Ryan shrugged his shoulder, scratching behind his ear. “I don’t know. They interviewed Joel when we first got here, and we got a copy of it. So if I need to entertain her, or get her out of my hair, I'll put it on and she’ll watch it over and over again." He laughed

“Hey yeah, it’s the 4th quarter.” Olivia said swiping the bag of sun chips off the counter, heading for the living room with Ryder in her arms.

“Hey wait for me.” Hope said opening the refrigerator, grabbing the veggie dip.

“Hey Janice, get the wine, I have the glasses.” Barbara called over her shoulder as she followed Hope and Olivia out of the kitchen.

“On my way.” Janice laughed grabbing the wine. “That boy gets all uptight in the last few minutes of the game. But I love seeing him in action.” She admitted hurrying out of the kitchen to join her family.

Joel was now the head Offensive Coordinator for the NFL Champions, The Indianapolis Colts and they had an early game today, following the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Joel and the other coaches had an air conditioned suite that was catered with food and drinks they shared for their families, and Ryan thought it would be nice to spoil their out of town guests and let them enjoy the game in style.

Ryan glanced around the now empty kitchen that was still filled with warmth and love and smiled contently. He and Joel were in a good place, right where they needed to be. Sure they had their disagreements…what couple doesn’t … but their love for each other was insurmountable…nothing would…could… come between them. He sighed, thinking about the answer to the question Joel was asked in almost every interview after a game, win or lose. “So coach Masterson, how’s it going?” Joel’s answer was always the same. “It’s fantastic…I’m living the dream.” Ryan would always smile because he knew Joel was talking about him...about them. He laughed shaking his head. He could hear all the hoops and hollers coming from the living room. He grabbed a beer and joined his family in cheering the Colts and his husband to victory.

The End....

The End....
Copyright © 2011 Naptowngirl; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/31/2011 05:10 AM, Conner said:
Great story, Kim! I enjoyed it immensely! :worship::worship:
YAY!!!!!! Thank you sooooo much Conner, I love your comments. I really appreciate ya. MWAH!
Link to comment
Guest cogito_ergo_sum1666

Posted

Wow that was just nice! Thanks for this wonderful story had tons of fun reading it!

Link to comment
On 12/01/2011 01:57 AM, cogito_ergo_sum1666 said:
Wow that was just nice! Thanks for this wonderful story had tons of fun reading it!
Thank you soooooooo Much, I'm thrilled you enjoyed it.

 

Kim :D

Link to comment

It was a lovely journey! ^_^ i'm almost sad that its over already. but... you wrapped it up so nicely, i cant even complain! :P

:hug: cant wait to read more of your stuff!

Cheers!

Link to comment
On 02/28/2012 01:53 AM, Frostina said:
It was a lovely journey! ^_^ i'm almost sad that its over already. but... you wrapped it up so nicely, i cant even complain! :P

:hug: cant wait to read more of your stuff!

Cheers!

Awwww.... Merci. Glad you liked....

 

Kim

Link to comment

Wonderful story - well done, thank you for sharing your work here biggrin.png I like stories with an epilouge :Dthumbsup.gif

 

I also work in a hospital in the ER and we have securityguards there often, I know - it's just a story but I really hate violence :)

Link to comment
On 09/14/2012 06:09 PM, Slytherin said:
Wonderful story - well done, thank you for sharing your work here biggrin.png I like stories with an epilouge :Dthumbsup.gif

 

I also work in a hospital in the ER and we have securityguards there often, I know - it's just a story but I really hate violence :)

Merci... so glad you enjoyed it. I have a lot of fun writing and coming up with new story ideas. and I love hearing what the readers think of not only the characters but the story line as well. So again thank you very much!

 

Kim :D

Link to comment

I happened to find this story yesturday and pretty much read straight through! Easily one of my top few favorite stories, on top of how well written it is. The pace of the story kept me locked in, never dragging or boring. I'm going to take a short break and maybe reread the story, Haha. Thank you very much.

Link to comment
On 08/20/2013 11:44 PM, TonyC said:
I happened to find this story yesturday and pretty much read straight through! Easily one of my top few favorite stories, on top of how well written it is. The pace of the story kept me locked in, never dragging or boring. I'm going to take a short break and maybe reread the story, Haha. Thank you very much.
WOw...again wow. I'm actually blown away to get this review...and it's much appreicated. So so glad you enjoyed my lil story, I need to update it and have it edited, but over all I enjoyed writting the coming of age story. again thanks so much TonyC

 

Kim :)

Link to comment

Cruising around GA I found this story, which I enjoyed very much. However.......I have to say that I cringed over the misspellings and misuse of words. You need to get a good editor! Good luck

Link to comment
On 11/06/2013 05:31 AM, Coastguard said:
Cruising around GA I found this story, which I enjoyed very much. However.......I have to say that I cringed over the misspellings and misuse of words. You need to get a good editor! Good luck
Coastguard, aside from the cringing I'm glad you enjoyed the story. It was one of my first ever. I wrote it back in 09. I know it needs a lot of work and I actually took it and my other stories down because I'm for too busy now to work on them,but at the request of a few wonderful readers I put them back. Thanks so much for reading and letting me know you enjoyed the journey.

 

Kim

Link to comment

I think I’ve read this story 3 times already and it stays my favorite on GA!!! Love it lots! 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..