Jump to content
    Nastasha
  • Author
  • 960 Words
  • 729 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

King of Blades - 18. The Testing

Ema came to them an hour later, after Anil and Kylar had some time to begin bonding. Though Anil was determined to raise her children herself, as her parents had, she had given in to Wildas' and Myri's requests to have a nurse there to assist her. Of all the castle nurses, Ema was the one Anil had chosen. The women had become friends in the month before for the birth, though Ema was a decade older than the twenty-two-year-old queen. Both Myri and Ema were with Anil for the first night, while Coulta and Wildas were shut out of the queen's room yet again.

Coulta was exhausted from the day, but he couldn't make himself sleep as he in Wildas' massive bed, staring at the silk curtains surrounding the structure. Conspiracies whirled through his mind. What if someone wanted him out of the royal family badly enough to lie about sensing his infertility? What would happen then? What if they somehow used this as a way to get at Wildas and physically harm him? How could he prevent it? What if they called for the newborn child to be examined – or even killed?

A strong arm wrapped around him from behind and his husband pulled Coulta back against his chest. "Stop fretting," Wildas murmured. "Everything will be all right."

"I wish I had your confidence," Coulta replied quietly.

Wildas kissed his neck. "If someone tries to cause you harm, I will personally see to their execution."

Coulta took a deep breath. "That's not what worries me. I'm more concerned with what happens to you and Kylar."

Wildas tightened his hold on his husband. "Nothing will happen, so long as I wear the crown of the Grand King of Phelin." He kissed Coulta's neck again. "Please, just relax for now. It's useless to worry now."

Coulta had to admit that Wildas did have a point. He turned over to face the Grand King, bringing their lips together in a passionate kiss. Coulta broke away only briefly to murmur, "If I only have a few more days with you, I'm going to take advantage of it."

"Coulta –" Wildas growled, but Coulta stopped his argument with more kissing.

 

The throne room was crowded on the day of Coulta's examination. Coulta wasn't sure if most people wanted proof or entertainment. According to Shelton, the last time a Second King had been accused of fathering a child was a hundred years ago. He had been found guilty and castrated publicly with the Grand King's blessing – clearly there had been no affection between the two men, only political strategy, Coulta decided. The disgraced Second King was hardly remembered as such, however. He happened to be a powerful sorcerer and redeemed himself by creating several magical defenses for Ryal, many of which were still in use a century later.

Coulta stood before the raised dais on which the thrones sat, while his spouses all watched from their thrones. Though Coulta wasn't seated, he wore his crown by Wildas' demand. Each sorcerer who examined Coulta was forced by tradition and honor to first bow to the entire family and ask Coulta's permission to examine him, regardless of any doubts. Only one man was so bold as to ask to see the new prince, a request that was quickly denied by Wildas.

"You need not examine Prince Kylar in order to discern his bloodline," the Grand King declared. "Your doubt is with your Second King. The child is safely with his nurse and will remain there."

The sorcerer hastily bowed and moved to Coulta. Coulta endured the string of examinations – nearly fifty in all – though he quickly grew bored. Wildas had been correct, nothing was going to happen. No man dared lie before all his fellow sorcerers who had just seen the truth in Coulta.

In the end, Coulta had worried over nothing.

 

But soon there were more serious things to worry about.

"Reesh's forces are leaving Algoma."

Everyone in the Grand King's office – Wildas and his advisers, Coulta included, and the Algoman king – stared at Braith when he made this statement. He had burst into the office and only briefly apologized for disrupting the routine evening meeting with a hasty bow before making this announcement.

Before anyone in the room could react to the news, the sorcerer added, "Jai, my father needs to speak directly to you. He won't tell me everything and I'm not sure how long we can keep the communication open. It may not be safe from Reesh's spies."

Jaimathan rose quickly from his chair, asking Wildas to excuse him for the night. "I'm not sure how long this will take. Can I meet with you in the morning to discus what I've learned?"

Wildas nodded. "We'll all breakfast here."

"You'll tell us everything you learn?" Admiral Pavle questioned. Coulta hadn't been aware that the man had had any reason to doubt the Algoman guests before, so he assumed Wildas' uncle was simply making certain no one else had any worries.

"I will leave nothing out," the Algoman king declared, nodding to Pavle. "Even if I have to share Algoma's greatest secrets. Our nations are allies and friends."

The admiral smiled and relaxed in his chair. Jaimathan nodded once more to Wildas, then left with his Guardian.

Wildas let out a deep breath. "Let's begin the final preparations."

Everyone in the room rose, bowed, and left to do what they needed to do. Coulta was the last to leave, pausing to squeeze his husband's hand before going to speak with his spies. There was no doubt in his mind that Reesh was moving his forces to attack Phelin.

War was imminent.

 

Copyright © 2012 Nastasha; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..