Jump to content
    Nastasha
  • Author
  • 1,063 Words
  • 802 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

King of Blades - 15. The Third King

The man was executed by hanging the next morning, in a private courtyard on the castle grounds. The only people present besides the executioner were Grand King Wildas, Second King Coulta, Former Second King Shelton, Brother Pelles, Prince Jaimathan, and several heralds who would spread the news of the man's death. Tradition called for at least five witnesses of regard, and because Rohan was determined to keep prying eyes away outside the courtyard and none of the queens – current or former – wanted to witnesses the execution, Jaimathan had offered.

Life returned to normal after that – as normal as life could be while preparing for a war that could come tomorrow or in another year.

Then, three weeks later, news came from Algoma.

Coulta and Wildas were watching a group of cavalry training in the snow. Jaimathan and Alidex the unicorn were with them, the prince quietly observing the differences between Phelin and Algoman training. They had been there for a few minutes when Braith slowly walked up to them. Coulta noticed that he looked pale and walked as if weighed down by a physical burden.

The sorcerer was wearing his black-edged, red uniform signifying him as Jaimathan's personal Guardian. Jaimathan watched him curiously, until Braith dropped before him onto one knee in a deep and highly respectful bow. The prince's expression changed instantly to one of understanding – and pain.

"No," he gasped, taking a step back from his life-long friend.

Braith glanced up. "I'm so sorry, Jai."

Only then did Coulta fully realize what was happening. He glanced at Wildas, but couldn't read the expression on his husband's face. Sorrow for knowing what their Algoman friend was going through? Fear of what it might mean for Phelin? He guessed it was probably both.

"How?" Jaimathan questioned.

Braith took a deep breath. "My father says she grew increasingly concerned for the people of Algoma. Many people were being murdered and starved. My parents and your father tried to stop her, but they eventually realized she had to do what she felt was right. She gave herself up in exchange for the lives of everyone in Algoma, including her family. Reesh agreed, and then executed her."

"How could she expect him to keep to that?" Jaimathan demanded, shaking.

"Father says they do appear to be preparing to leave Algoma. But where they go next... who knows." Braith looked sympathetic as he added, "Your father is holding your place until all of this is over. He wants you to stay here for now."

Jaimathan didn't seem to hear. He looked over at Wildas and Coulta and asked simply, "Could I be alone?"

Wildas nodded. "Certainly. I understand." He turned away, putting a gentle hand on Coulta's arm to take him away.

It was a moment before Coulta realized Braith was also walking with them, a few paces behind. Coulta paused to let the sorcerer catch up, which caused Braith to bow his head in thanks.

"I really am sorry for him," Wildas said to the Guardian. "I lost my father very suddenly, too."

Braith nodded. "She prepared him for this, he'll be all right. I know he's struggling more with the fact that he can't be there to mourn her properly, or to take the burden of ruling from his father."

"We can hold a memorial service here," Wildas offered. "She was our ally, after all, and her son is with us. She should be honored, and so should he. I know he hasn't been formally crowned, but to us he is already a king, and therefore deserving of a higher level of hospitality."

Braith shook his head. "You've already been incredibly kind to him – all of us. He is staying because the continued existence of Phelin means the continued existence of Algoma. You are our biggest source of trade, and our truest ally. I know you would have come to Algoma's aid if Jai hadn't convinced you not to."

This was not the first time something about Jaimathan's presence meaning more than just a stranded royal looking for sanctuary, and it was starting to bother him. "What exactly is he planning to do to help us defeat Dyrai when Reesh's forces come to attack?" he questioned.

The sorcerer glanced at him curiously. "You don't know?"

Both Coulta and Wildas shook their heads.

Braith sighed. "Honestly, it's not my place to tell. He'll let you know when the time comes, I assure you of that. I can say, though, that he is by far your greatest weapon. I have no doubt about that. Now, I need to go speak to Fae so she doesn't worry over Jai." He bowed quickly to each of them and walked toward the castle.

"I am almost certain that Shelton knows," Wildas stated, glancing at Coulta. "He knows everything, I'm convinced."

Coulta nodded thoughtfully. "I think he does know about this, at least. I doubt he'll tell us."

"So do I."

 

They held a ceremonial public memorial for the late Algoman queen the next day, complete with a symbolic funeral pyre on the very stage where they had gathered for the New Year speeches a few weeks before. To Coulta's surprise, almost the entire population of Ryal attended the ceremony. Apparently the guest's words of prayer to the people had won them over.

Jaimathan, dressed in black, formally thanked his hosts for their kindness, and the people of city for attending, then watched the fire burn without another word. His wife stood with him, one hand holding his and the other holding the basket their young son was happily sleeping in. Coulta stood with his family a short distance away, offering support as hosts but respect for their guests' need for peace.

It was late in the evening by the time the fire died down. Citizens of Ryal had come and gone all day to see what was happening. Some of the more noble guests offered their condolences directly to Jaimathan, which he politely thanked them for. Others offered gifts to be burned as a sign of respect, which Jaimathan allowed. Once the fire was smoldering, they all rode back to the castle for a cold meal to the queen's memory.

Coulta doubted any of this served as much closure for the Algoman king. He just hoped it was enough for now.

Copyright © 2012 Nastasha; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..