Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 4,224 Words
  • 2,989 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

To Have and to Hold - 13. Chapter 13

Rescue and Revenge

It is almost too easy. Most of the people I have met have been weak humans. I can feel Marc so close and I can almost taste his fear, his pain. Something is happening to him and I know he is shielding it from me, or at least he is trying his best but he can’t stop a flavour leaking through, and that flavour is of terror and a horror so profound that it turns my stomach as I know what it is. I know what Merticus is doing to him and I know that I am too late to stop it.

I am half way up the stairs when the pain hits and I fall to my knees. It is so intense, so powerful that I can’t tell where it is coming from, which part of the body, what it’s cause might be, but I know.... I know and I am running before I have a conscious thought.

I meet two more humans on the landing and I flip them over the banister without a second thought. I can feel him close, very close. He is still in pain, I can feel it, like a shadow, a cloud that surrounds me and colours everything around me.

I pause to get my bearings and I take another flight of stairs at a full run. I meet more humans but they are no trouble to me and then, at the top of the stairs I run into two vampires. They are tougher than the humans but no problem for me, not with the blood lust pounding in my head, rage and fear sharing a space and lighting a fire in my heart.

And then, just as the second vampire goes down, screaming, his throat slashed so deeply his head is all but severed, it all goes silent.

“Marc!”

The cry is torn out of me without my volition and I burst through the nearest door like an avenging angel. I take in the scene in a second. Two humans are standing near the door, holding Beth between them. She looks pale and there is blood on her dress but she seems alert and relatively unharmed. A young vampire is hovering nearby and across the room two slender forms lurk in the shadows. Merticus is standing in front of the curtained window, buckling his belt and grinning, clearly waiting for me, and Marc...

Marc is lying naked on the bed. He is sprawled like a broken rag doll and there is blood everywhere. He is clearly unconscious and the only energy I can sense from him is polluted and strange. Seeing my look, the tender horror on my face Merticus laughs and madness possesses me.

The two humans are moving cautiously towards me. They are hesitant. I am caked with blood, the sword in my hand gleaming red in the dim light. I hadn’t noticed the light before because I can see just as well in complete darkness. But of course, there would have to be light for the humans. I think fleetingly of smashing the bulb but there is no need.

Before they reach me one of the humans falls, its throat ripped out. Beth moved fast, very fast, even for a vampire. Her action and her speed surprise me enormously. Beth has only ever been a shadow figure for me, a silent, shy figure that lurked at the edges of conversations and left no mark as she moved through the world. Well, she is making a mark now.

I ignore the other human, knowing that he will be taken care of, and he is. The young vampire is no trouble either. He is not a fighter. He stares at me with terrified eyes and freezes. I don’t have the heart to kill him and so I simply hit him, lent strength by my holy rage and send him crashing through the door, out into the hall and over the banister down two floors to the hallway below.

And then there were three. The two strange figures emerge from the shadows and move forwards hissing softly. My skin crawls as I get an impression of green scaly skin and reptilian features with needle sharp fangs dripping blood. Whose? My rage intensifies and turns deadly cold. I feel a figure rise up behind me, slightly to one sided. For a brief instant I am poised to spin but fortunately I sense the energy in time. It is Beth. She is growling softly deep in her throat. I turn my head and am shocked by her face. Its usual gentleness is obscured under a mask of rage, the eyes glowing red.

“Are you alright?”

“They fed from him Kai, the did something to him, something bad. I don’t know what they are but they are demonic. I want one.”

“Of course.” My skin is crawling and I want nothing more than to feel my sword slice through flesh and bone but I stand motionless, watching and waiting.

When they attack, the come together, circling left and right. I cannot afford to watch Beth, to concern myself with what she is doing, my attention is caught and held by the adversary before me. He moves like lightening, faster than anything I have ever met. He is past my guard before I am aware of movement and his hands close on my throat, claws digging in to the back of my neck. Dripping fangs are poised inches from my face.

Dropping the sword I bring up my hands between us and, twisting to one side break its hold and at the same time gain one of my own around its neck from behind. Pulling back I apply pressure but the creature is slippery and it slides from my arms like smoke.

Facing each other again, circling warily, I am very aware of the fact that this creature is neither human nor vampire. It is an unknown quantity and I have to be careful. Before it can attack again I leap, not directly at it but straight up into the air. Twisting in midair I come down, not facing my own opponent but directly behind the one who has Beth by the throat. Tugging my knife from my belt as I leap I plunge it into the slender back, thrusting upwards and twisting.

The creature gives a gurgling cry and falls twitching to the ground. Greenish blood flows like pus and coats by knife and hand. It burns where it touches, but not so bad that I cannot ignore it.

Without pausing I spin but my own opponent is no longer there. Looking around I cannot see him and I am momentarily confused. I don’t know what it is that gives me warning. I know that I hear nothing, see nothing but some sixth sense, some innate self preservation, something from somewhere makes me look up and I raise my knife just in time for the creature to impale itself on it as it drops.

Caustic blood splatters over my face and hands as the creature falls, dragging my knife out of my hand as it goes. It is on its feet again in moments, bleeding heavily from a deep wound in its side. It is however, far from dead.

Calmly removing the knife from its side the creature crouches and regards me with caution but no fear. My knife is held loosely in its hand. For a moment time and space is suspended and then it flows into action and I am not too sure precisely what happens.

I am aware of a blur of movement and, for an instant I feel the creature’s hand at my throat as I grab its other hand just in time to stop the knife it holds entering my chest. And then suddenly it stiffens, its eyes flying wide in shock and it falls backwards, the tip of my sword protruding from its chest and I am left facing a grinning Beth. It is not a pleasant smile.

Before I have a chance to celebrate a soft voice speaks from behind me.

“Oh bravo, what a show. You have lost none of your skill I see. And your little friend is such a surprise, she seemed so sweet and tender. You should really think about trying a woman sometimes, they have.... different pleasures to offer.”

I spin, ready to leap at his throat. But he is no longer standing at the window. He is crouched on the bed and Marc is in his arms, lying across his lap, still unconscious, completely unaware. A wicked looking dagger is pressed to his throat so hard that blood beads under the point. If Marc wakes now, if he moves, tries to sit up.....

“Although, I have to say that with someone like him to warm your bed why look elsewhere? You have excellent taste as always Kai. He is very beautiful.”

“Take your filthy hands off him.”

“Oh how original.” He laughs softly. Glancing down into Marc’s face he strokes it almost tenderly and I want even more to tear off his head. Merticus touches the place on Marc’s neck where blood is still welling from two puncture wounds and brings his fingers to his lips, licking them clean. “He tastes sweet, very sweet.”

“I am warning you, monster. Let him go and I will kill you swiftly, it is the only mercy you can expect of me after this.”

“After what? You know me Kai. I like my pleasures a little rough, perhaps I went too far but you know from personal experience that I mean no harm.”

“No harm? Are you seriously suggesting that you have not harmed him; that you did not harm me?”

“Harm you? I did you a favour. If I hadn’t broadened your horizons you would still be fawning after that fool, Gabriel. You were a sleeping beauty trapped in your ivory tower. I awoke you with a kiss and look at you now.”

“Yes, just look at me. Are you expecting me to thank you?”

“Gods forbid... you were always an ungrateful wretch.” He laughs and looks like a mischievous schoolboy. I could almost believe the charade... almost, if it were not for the fact that he was holding my lover cradled in his arms, unconscious and bleeding, idly toying with the hair where it curls over his collarbone, smearing his fingers with blood.

Almost as though he knows what I am thinking he smiles. It is an evil smile, a knowing, cruel, spiteful smile. I am afraid of what it means.

Marc stirs and whimpers and my heart lurches. Don’t move, I beg him silently. Keep silent, keep still. Merticus’ smile broadens and he adjusts his hold so that Marc’s head falls forwards, cradled against his chest. The point of the dagger draws a lazy trail down over his throat and breast to rest just beneath his ribs. One thrust it seems to whisper.... it would be so easy, just one short sharp thrust....

I try to keep my eyes locked with his, to give nothing away, to stay relaxed, prepared, alert... but he is stroking Marc’s hair, crooning to him and the rage is building in my breast so that it is almost unbearable, uncontrollable. The mere fact that he dares to touch him.....

Something touches my mind, the gentlest brushing of a gentle soul. Beth? She whispers to me so gently, so silently that I know he does not, cannot hear. It is too gentle for him, too soft, sliding in beneath his radar.

“Be soft. Be still. Trust.”

“Trust who?”

“Trust that it must be as it should be.”

I almost turn, but I can’t draw attention to her. Merticus is already narrowing his eyes at me knowing there is something going on beneath the surface. Marc groans, his body tensing in the grip of some pain that I feel and my wince makes Merticus grin widely.

Even from where I stand I can see that Marc is shaking, his whole body trembling and Merticus holds him closer, resting his cheek on his hair, murmuring comfort to him while all the time staring at me with cold eyes over his head. My jaw is clenched, my heart constricting with rage and pain. I want to hurt him so badly and he knows it. He also knows that I won’t risk doing a thing if it risks hurting Marc.

“Oops. I think I might have hurt him a little more than I had intended. Maybe a lot more.”

“What do you mean?” There is something about the casual way he says it that makes me more frightened than I have ever been before.

Merticus looks up at me from beneath his fringe of tousled yellow hair, a schoolboy who has been caught doing something he shouldn’t, and he grins.

“I tried a little... experiment. The snake demons are... interesting creatures. Their venom has unusual effects... it enhances physical sensation, at least initially, and I thought it would make the experience more... rewarding. And it did... for me.”

“What are you trying to tell me?”

“I think perhaps he didn’t enjoy it as much as I did, perhaps he resisted a little too hard, perhaps I was a little.... rough. I think I broke him.”

“Merticus, trust me... all you are doing right now is driving the nails more firmly into your coffin. I am going to kill you, the only questions are how, when and how quickly I get it over with. At the moment I am thinking of taking a very long time.”

“Oh, I don’t think you will. I don’t think you will hurt me at all. You see, I have something you want, no need, something you desperately need.”

“I doubt that”

“I wouldn’t Kai, I wouldn’t doubt it, not for a minute. If you doubt then you will lose out, you will lose everything.”

“Stop playing with me. Tell me what you mean you bastard.”

He simply grins and burying his hand in Marc’s hair he pulls back his head so he can lower his face and kiss him, roughly and passionately, all the while keeping his eyes locked with mine.

“I will not tell you again, take... your... hands... off... him.”

For a long, burning hot moment Merticus stares at me, his eyes blazing with madness, his lips caressing Marc’s, and then he shrugs and releases his hold, letting Marc tumble bonelessly onto the bed. I would have sprung at this throat there and then but at that moment Marc cried out, his body twisting in agony. My attention is instantly with him and when I look up Merticus is gone.

I begin to turn but as I do I feel the prick of the dagger at my throat. It isn’t as if I hadn’t expected it, because I had. I had expected it all along and I had been prepared, right up to the point I saw Marc fall and heard him cry out. In that instant I was as unprepared as I have ever been and he took advantage of it.

“I suggest you stand very, very still Kai dear. I really don’t want to hurt you, I never did. I wouldn’t even breathe too hard.”

“Just let me go Merticus and I might even let you live.”

“Excuse me? I think I may drifted off for a moment. I thought that it was me who had the knife to your throat.”

“It won’t be there forever Merticus.”

“No, but it could slit your throat before I throw it away.”

“I doubt it.”

“Healthy doubt is good. I don’t think that this is too healthy for you thought... about as healthy as a suntan I would say.”

A suntan? Something twitches in my mind, and suddenly I have a way out. “Why don’t you let Beth go? This is nothing to do with her. This has nothing to do with anyone but you and me, it never did, you know that.”

“Let her go? Why would I do that?”

“Because as long as she is standing behind you, you will never know quite what she is about to do. You can’t afford to divide your attention.”

I feel him hesitate. Merticus never hesitates. There is a strange tension in him, he is trembling slightly. There is another twitch in my mind. He fed from Marc....

“Call me sentimental, but you are, of course quite right. I really don’t want to have to divide my attention today.” Keeping the point of the knife pressed against my throat Merticus slides his arm around my waist tucking his hand into the waistband of my trousers. His touch disgusts me, makes my stomach turn. He feels the muscles contact and chuckles. “Get out of here girl.”

Beth hesitates and I push her gently with my mind. I feel her reluctance but also that she understands, and she leaves, shutting the door quietly behind her.

Merticus presses his lips against the back of my neck and whispers. “It seems that it is just you and me now beautiful. We have a lot of catching up to do.”

“The only thing I want to catch up with you for is to tear off your head, you sick son of a bitch.”

“Now now Kai, remember you don’t have that fool Gabriel to hide behind any more... it’s just you...” he nuzzles into my neck, below my ear and bites me gently, not drawing blood “... and me. Oh, and your boyfriend of course, but I don’t think he’s too interested right now. In fact... I don’t think he is going to be interested in very much for a long time.”

“What do you mean you bastard?”

“Kai,.... Kai please..... be reasonable. You know that I will be gentle with you, haven’t I always been?”

His little boy voice sends shivers down my spine as he presses his body close into mine leaning forward so that he can slide his hand further down the front of my trousers. I can clearly feel that it is shaking now and it gives me a grim satisfaction. I am in control again. I know how this is going to go.

“You seem a little... edgy Merticus. Are you not feeling well?”

“What?!” There is something in his voice, an edge of unease that makes me smile.

“I was just enquiring after your health Merticus. We are, after all old friends and it concerns me that you may be sickening for something,”

“What do you mean? What do you know?”

So he is feeling it.... “Know? About what?”

“Nothing, just shut up. You always did talk too much. At least your boyfriend kept his mouth shut. Not that he really had much choice. Oh but he was sweet Kai. I am sure you don’t need me to tell you that he was sweet.” I tried to stay calm, relaxed but I couldn’t and he knew it, he was laughing at me, taunting me, pushing me.

“Well, that might have been your biggest mistake ever Merticus.”

“Oh, I don’t think so. As I said it was sweet. The serpents enjoyed him too I know, I had my work cut out to stop them draining him dry and I couldn’t have that. I wanted him very much alive when I fucked him....and it was worth it. He is a sweet fuck... he has a tight little ass and he makes such cute little noises, especially when he’s about to lose consciousness. You know what... I think he might be even better than you ... and I have always said that you were the best I ever had.”

Gritting my teeth I manage to remain calm enough to speak. “Have you wondered why you are shaking Merticus, why suddenly you feel like you are starving, why you have cramps in your stomach?”

“What? How.... how....?”

“How do I know? Oh, I know a lot of things that you don’t know Merticus. For example I know that in about thirty seconds you will be in so much pain you won’t be able to hold that knife any more.”

“You fucking bastard. Tell me... tell me what you know. What’s happening to me?”

“No.”

He pulls my head back, the knife drawing blood at my throat. “Fucking tell me what you’ve done to me you bastard.”

“I haven’t done anything to you, nothing at all. You have done it to yourself. Didn’t your mother tell you that you shouldn’t take what does not belong to you?”

“Take....? It was his blood.... it was wasn’t it? This is a changing... what is he.... what am I changing into?”

“Nothing. Trust me Merticus, you are changing into nothing.”

He flings me away from him and stands staring at his hands, his eyes wide and horrified. “What am I becoming? What IS he?”

“A moment ago you were telling me that he’s a great fuck. Isn’t that enough for you any more?”

“No.... please Kai, please no... please tell me what’s happening to me”

He takes a step towards me and falls to his knees, crying out as the pain rips through him. “Kai,.. help me”

He is terrified, screaming in fear and pain, pleading with me. And I laugh. He deserves to be afraid, but I can’t let him change. “Don’t worry Merticus. You are not going to chance. I won’t let you.”

He looks up, his eyes full of hope. “I won’t let you because you don’t deserve it. You don’t deserve the wonderful gift that Marc has to give. You have had a long life, too long. You have done nothing but abuse it and everyone you have ever come across in it. You could have had love, you could have had hope, you could have had everything... and now.... now I give you release.”

I see the confusion in his eyes but I don’t care. I don’t care about anything. Before he can move, speak or even think I spin around and tear the curtains away from the window.

“Kai..,. what... what are you doing....?”

I am already doing the same with the next window, and the next. The room floods with light and heat and I hear Merticus scream. He is no longer pleading, his cries wordless and agonised. They do not last long. I stand for a time looking out over the waste ground below, over the roofs of the factory units, towards the sea.

I feel empty. I have dreamed of this moment for so long. He has haunted my dreams, and dominated my waking mind. He was my nemesis, my greatest enemy, my most hated adversary..,. and now he was gone and I should feel glad, relieved, released.... but I feel only emptiness.

When I turn Merticus is gone, as are the serpent creatures. Only the bodies of the humans remain, and a fine layer of ash over the floor.

In the bright sunlight Marc looks like a broken doll, his body is smeared with blood, and he is trembling, shivering as though with cold, even though it isn’t cold.

Suddenly I don’t care about Merticus any more, I don’t care about anything except Marc. Sitting on the bed I very carefully draw him into my arms. He moans and whimpers and I pull him against me, stroking his hair and kissing his face.

“It’s alright. Hush my love, you are safe now, safe with me. I am here and you are safe with me.”

He moans and turns his face into me, trembling. I want to fill him with my strength, with my energy, heal him, make him whole again. I stroke the bloody hair away from his face and kiss him lightly. He cries out and pulls away. “No... no, it’s me, it’s Kai... it’s alright I’m here now.”

“Kai?”

“Yes. I’m here. I will take care of you”

“No.. no... I... I can’t... I...”

“Ssssh. It’s alright. Rest now. It is still daylight. The others will come at sunset. Rest until then.”

“Beth...”

“She’s safe. She is hiding out until sunset too. She can’t be in here, in the sunlight. I... I thought it would be good for you, the sun.”

He moans again and lets his head fall back, staring up at me from half open eyes, filled with pain and.... I try to smile at him but it is more of a grimace. He doesn’t even try. I reach out to stroke his face but he pulls away from me turning his face to stare blankly out into the room.

“Marc? Are you alright?”

He turns his head again to look up at me with heavy eyes. He blinks slowly and moistens his lips. Then he blinks again only when he closes his eyes he doesn’t open them and I feel his body relax in my arms.

“Marc?”

Holding him tight against me I finally let go and scalding tears pour from my eyes. I am shaking more than he is and I can’t control the sobs, not until my soul has been entirely scoured by them, and then there is nothing I can do but lie down, besides him, take him into my arms and wait for sunset.

Copyright © 2010 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..