Jump to content
    NightOwl88
  • Author
  • 9,866 Words
  • 9,746 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Indiana Summer - 11. Surprise, surprise

Disclaimer: This story includes sexual and romantic situations between consenting individuals. Any allusion to illicit or illegal activity, sexual or otherwise, is used only for enhancement of the story line and not promotion thereof. Remember AIDS, HIV and other STDs are a very real threat, please always practice safe sex.

I can prove copyright on this story so please don't copy or remove this story for personal use without my permission.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Indiana Summer 11: Surprise, Surprise

"What?!" Billy asked with an incredulous look at his dad.

I didn't blame him; I damn near choked on my scrambled eggs at the revelation.

"Did I stutter boy, or did you just go temporarily deaf," William asked angrily, "Just in case, I'll say it again. Tomorrow you start working down at the Murphy farm." William said again and Billy paled.

"Why, for how long?" Billy asked and William looked pissed at being questioned and I know it was only the shear force of surprise that kept Billy going.

"Jack's farm hand walked out on him in the middle of a bunch of work and he's been hard put to find a replacement so I volunteered you." William said and I swore he was suppressing a smile.

"Who’s going to help on the construction and take care of my chores? Elder won't walk with anyone but Me." There was worry in Billy’s voice now and this time William smiled outright.

"I guess city boy here will have to pick up the slack. As for the horse, I guess that you'll have to get him over that stubborn streak of his." William said as he picked up his milk for a drink.

"Or I could always sell him; find someone who can break him properly." William placed a delicate strain on 'break'.

"I'll figure it out." Billy replied coldly, William smiled wider.

For a minute the table was quiet and I found myself wishing my Uncle would hurry up and get there.

I knew I would feel guilty afterward for leaving Billy here to deal with this on his own but I desperately needed an excuse to get away from the table and William's suddenly smug attitude.

"So what kind of payment is Billy looking at for this?" Annie asked with a smile, her voice overly sweet.

Both William and Billy's head shot up to look at her but I kept my head down.

"It wasn't discussed." William's smugness immediately turned to anger.

"Well I think it needs to be discussed before Billy goes down there. I just think that given the amount of work that Jack puts his farm hands through on a daily basis that three hundred a week would suffice." Annie said as she picked up a spoonful of eggs.

"Three hundred a week?" William repeated looking furious. At his raised voice Billy shrunk back in his chair, but Annie just looked up and smiled at him.

"Yes, I think that’s fair. It's cheaper than the going rate and I know full well what all he'll be doing," Annie said as she scooped another spoonful of eggs onto her plate from the pan in the middle of the table," Jack keeps pigs and cows, both will need fed. His cows will need milked and he has those two apple trees that will need to be picked over every few days. Not to mention I know for a fact that his old farm hand was working on his fences, and that they're not finished." Annie said and William looked like he was about to explode.

"I'll let him know." William pushed his plate away and left the dinning room.

"Mom..." Billy started but his mom wouldn't let him.

"Since it's your day off I think you should go out and enjoy yourself, and David I hope you have a good day with you're Uncle." Annie said as she took her plate into the kitchen, and didn't come back in.

"I don't know about you but I've lost my appetite." I said as I pushed my uneaten eggs back into the skillet on the table, Billy nodded and did the same.

We cleared the table, noting that Annie wasn't in the kitchen; then went outside.

"When is your Uncle supposed to get here?" Billy asked and I looked down at my watch.

"Any time now really." I replied, he was supposed to be there around eight thirty or nine, it was nine fifteen.

We walked to the barn together and I hung back as Billy let Elder out of his stall and set to saddling him.

"I know it will mean you having to be near Candace all the time but I'll take care of your work here, although I dunno how we'll get Elder back and forth from the corral.”

Billy didn't reply, just finished strapping on Elders’ saddle and bit.

"I don't know either. Elder... He doesn't like other people...except me...and won’t go near them without me, and even then it's just people he's been around for a long time." Billy said as he stroked Elder's head.

"What about your mom?" I asked and Billy shook his head.

"Nope, aside from the fact that Dad would never let her do it more than once, mom's afraid of him. Horses are just liked every other animal, they can tell when a person is scared and that makes him jumpy, which makes her more scared." Billy said as he led Elder out of the barn.

"We'll figure it out Billy." I said and Billy nodded.

"What are you going to do with your uncle today?" Billy asked, looking sulky.

"I dunno we never really talked about it. He's a movie freak so we'll catch a couple, get some lunch. I dunno."

"You know my Uncle probably wouldn't mind if you wanted to come with us." Billy smiled at me but he shook his head none the less.

"Nope, this is your visit with your Uncle, you need to go and have fun. Besides, I need to stay here and try to figure out what to do with this big lug." He said as he patted Elders flank, Elder tossed his head in reply.

I smiled at the exchange between Billy and Elder, it was as if the horse understood every word Billy was saying.

"Is that your Uncle?" Billy asked as he pointed to the driveway and I blushed, I'd been staring at Billy.

"Yea, that's him." I said as I watched him step out of the black Honda he had rented.

"HEY, Uncle Scott, over here." I called and waved him over.

"Hey kiddo." Uncle Scott came up to us and wrapped me in a hug.

Making sure he didn't get too close to Elder I pushed Uncle Scott away and introduced him to Billy.

"Uncle Scott this is my new buddy Billy Templeton. Billy this is my Uncle slash big brother Scott Baily." I said and the two of them shook hands and exchanged hellos.

"It's good to meet you Sir. David has told me a lot about you." Billy said with a smile.

Before Uncle Scott could reply though Elder tossed his head and pawed the ground with one of his hooves. Without thinking about it I reached out and put my hand on his neck to keep him from hitting one of us.

"I think he wants to be introduced too." I said as I let my hand fall as Elder backed away from my touch, Billy looking on in amazement.

"Yea...yea. Mr. Baily this is Elder; my stallion and one of my best friends." Billy was looking bewildered.

"It's good to meet you too Elder, you're a fine looking horse." My Uncle said, looking a bit bemused.

"I'll let you two get going, I have some stuff to do. I'll see you this evening." Billy said as he clapped me on the shoulder.

Before either of them could say more than a goodbye Billy swung up onto Elder and set off.

"Care to explain what the heck that was about, introducing a HORSE?" Uncle Scott asked and I smiled as we set off for the car.

"That...is going to take some explaining." I said and Scott just smiled in a bemused sort of way.

                                                           *         *         *

I pushed the tree branches out of the way as Elder once again went where he pleased. I swear some days he was trying to knock me on the head.

As we rode I couldn't help the feeling of deja-vu that was creeping up my spine, a feeling that got worse when I heard raised voices; the same voices that I heard the last time Elder and I had gone for a ride through the woods.

I reined Elder in and slid down; trying to figure out which direction the voices were coming from this time.

I finally found the direction and went for it. All three of the Mason brothers were once again standing in a small clearing but this time Ben was laying on the ground clutching his side and Andrew had Dean up against at tree. Dean's bottom lip was split and he had a black eye, an old, half healed one.

Andrew's hand moved up to clutch at Deans throat and I saw the tears streaming out of Dean's eyes, reflecting the sun. Ben was struggling up to his knees, begging Andrew to stop but he didn't seem to hear him.

I couldn't let this happen, the Mason brothers had been a pain in my ass since Seth left and I had come close to killing Andrew a lot lately but this wasn't right. I dunno what the hell it was about but I was going to stop it.

Pushing through the foliage I came up behind Andrew. Both Dean and Ben saw me but neither of them said a word. Before Andrew could turn around I wrapped my arm around his throat. Remembering Seth's lessons I squeezed just enough to knock him out, keeping a close eye on his breathing.

Andrew never saw my face and quickly he stopped struggling and I eased up and let him breathe and lowered him to ground. I checked to make sure he was breathing OK before I turned back to Ben and Dean.

"Fuck Templeton...you didn't have to kill him." Ben said quietly as he leaned back against a nearby tree, not really looking like he'd care if Andrew was dead or not.

I ignored him though and turned to Dean.

"You alright Dean?" I asked and tried to move toward him but he panicked and shot by me to Ben.

I watched as he knelt down next to Ben, who winced as his little brother pulled up his shirt to inspect the damage.

"Dean chill; it was a skinny limb across the chest, it just knocked the wind out of me, I'll have some bruises but you're the one with the busted lip and a black eye." Ben tried to sound stern but it didn't work, he just came off tired.

Dean just nodded and curled up next to his older brother, hiding his face against Ben's shoulder

Ben looked up at me; I could see the fear in his eyes as he wrapped an arm protectively around Dean.

I knew what he was afraid of, that I was going to pick at them or attack them so I sat down on the ground in front of them and whistled, calling for Elder.

"What did you do to him?" Ben asked as he motioned over to Andrew, who was still unconscious on the forest floor.

"Sleeper hold, Seth taught it to me. I don't know how long it will last though so we might not want to stick around here for much longer.” I said as Elder ambled into the clearing.

Ben nodded and shook Dean with his shoulder, making his younger brother look up at him.

"You OK to walk home?" Ben asked him carefully and Dean nodded.

Dean stood up and helped Ben to his feet, Ben still clutching his mid section.

"Are you sure you're OK?" I asked as I came up and supported Ben's other side.

"Yea I took a tumble from a horse a week or so ago, got a couple of bruised ribs out of it. Andrew's tree limb just brought back the soreness." I nodded but I didn't move from Ben's side.

"You guys want me to go with you?" I asked and Dean looked to Ben.

"If...if you want. But I can take care of Ben on my own." Dean said, his voice shaking a bit.

"What about him?" I asked as I motioned to Andrew.

"If you're sure he's alive than let him stay here till he wakes up. Serves him right for all the shit he's done lately." Ben’s voice was venomous as he looked at his older brother.

As Ben and Dean walked out of the clearing, the latter helping former, I swung up on Elder and followed them.

The Mason farm wasn't too far away and in about fifteen or twenty minutes we came to the edge of the woods, their house and corn fields easily visible.

I had kept my mouth closed the whole of the short trip but I couldn't help but want to know so before I left the two of them I reached out and took hold of Ben's shoulder.

"Can we talk me and you?" I asked and Dean's arm tightened around his older brother.

"I'm not going to do anything Dean, don't worry. He'll be along in just few minutes." I said gently, wondering what had happened to Dean. He was the youngest of the Mason boys but I'd never seen him like this, like a scared little boy.

"Go on Dean, get that salve mom's been putting on me and the wraps; I think I'm going to need them." Ben said and Dean nodded and took off toward the house.

"What the hell has been going on Ben, I saw you guys in the woods a couple weeks back the day after the last dance. He was picking on Dean then too." I said once Dean was out of ear shot.

Ben looked at the retreating figure of his brother then back at me before he answered.

"That’s a long story that I don't want to get into just now. Will you be coming to the dance again tonight?" Ben asked and I nodded.

"We'll talk then, I guess since you helped us out you deserve that much at least." Ben said grudgingly and I agreed.

"Will you be OK once Andrew comes around?" I asked and Ben gave me a half smile.

"Yeah we'll be fine. Andrew won't try anything here at home. Dad maybe an asshole about this whole situation but he won't let Andrew bully Dean...if only for mom's sakes." Ben said and I was only more confused by his statement, but I let it slide for now.

"You want me to help you up to the house, Elder wouldn't mind waiting here." I said but Ben shook his head and pointed toward the house.

I looked up and smiled, Dean was coming back for him.

"I'll see you guys later." I said as Dean came up to us and Ben threw his arm around his shoulder.

I steered Elder back into the woods and made for the clearing where we'd left Andrew. Once I was close enough I reined Elder in and slipped down and crept to the edge of the clearing.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that he was sitting up against one of trees, holding his head in his hands...a sleeper hold could sometimes leave you with a headache. At least I always woke up with one when Seth was teaching me the hold.

I crept back to Elder and quietly as I could I swung up on him and took off, heading for Walkers place.

                                                           *         *         *

"So the horse, Elder, has trust issues?" My Uncle asked as he picked up his burger.

We were having lunch between movies. We had seen Fast Furious: Tokyo drift first, after lunch we were going back to see Superman Returns.

"I guess you could call it that. He doesn't like other people, just Billy. I've got reason to think he's been abused in the past." I told him what Annie had told me about the scar on William seniors arm.

"It makes sense. You said Billy had raised him since he was a foal, horses will bond with their trainers the longer they're together. Billy and him have been together since they were both kids." Uncle Scott replied and I nodded along with him, he had a point.

"So how was Hawaii, evil bastard?" I said and Uncle Scott threw fry at me.

"It was nice, the sand, the waves. I even took surfing lessons while I was out there. Not that I did very well that is." My Uncle could ski, snowboard, snorkel and scuba but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't surf; he'd been trying for the last five years.

"How was the convention?" I asked, feeling jealous. I'd been praying dad would let me go to it with Uncle Scott. I was hoping that some of the architecture on display would give me some ideas for the design I had been working on back home.

"It was amazing David, I must have taken a hundred or more pictures. I think when I remodel the bathroom next spring I'm going to use some of the ideas I picked up." He said and I couldn't tell if he was being sincere or a prick.

"Can I borrow your notes and photos; I'm still working on those designs for my own house." Uncle Scott nodded.

"How long have you been working on that design?" He asked as we dumped our trays and left the restaurant.

"Since mom walked out." I said without emotion.

Uncle Scott looked at me but didn't say anything. This had actually become a sort of tradition for us, spending the thirtieth together...because the next day was the anniversary of mom leaving.

That’s why Uncle Scott was there, he didn't have any business in Indiana like he'd said when he picked me up. He was there to keep me company, pure and simple.

"Oh, I picked these while I was on the island; I thought you might like them." Uncle Scott reached over and opened the glove box. He pulled out a small clear plastic bag with two necklaces inside.

I pulled out one of the necklaces and looked at it more closely. It was a long, white, corkscrew like seashell, broad at the top but pointed at the bottom. The curves were soft and rounded and it had a little hole at its top with for the thin braided hemp rope to pass through.

It was pretty but I liked the other one better. It too was a corkscrew shaped and strung on a hemp rope, but it was different from the other one. Instead of white with rounded, curved contours it was jet black with sharp, flat curves, like a piece of paper that had been rolled up and then pulled out to a point. The black shell also had small, thin, white slashes on it like scars. To look through the opening at the top though you could see it was smooth inside.

Without even thinking about it I put it on, using the tiny chain attached to it to clasp it. I held out the other one to my Uncle but he shook his head.

"I already got one," He said and pulled his shirt collar down a bit to show me the fan shaped mollusk shell he wore, "Give it to someone else." he said with a smile as we drove back to the theater.

I slipped the necklace back into the little bag and pushed into my pocket. I really didn't have anyone who would like it that much, except Uncle Scott.

                                                            *         *         *

"I know you don't like other folks big guy but we're gonna have to work things out somehow," I told Elder as I brushed him down before putting him back in the stall, "You heard Mom earlier, Mr. Murphy agreed to her fee so I'm gonna be working for him for a while, which means you're going to have to let someone else take you to the corral of a morning. I'll be leaving too early to do it." I said as I closed the door to his stall.

Elder though didn't like what I was saying, he stamped his hooves and snorted loudly at me.

"I don't like it anymore than you do, you've seen how that daughter of his dresses, and how she affects me. I know you can smell how nervous I get around her," Elder tossed his head at that; cocky horse, "But even if I only work for him for a week that doubles my savings, and if I make it two weeks that's nearly a thousand bucks. It's not much but I’ll need it." I said as I reached out and stroked his head, he seemed to calm down.

I knew Elder could understand what I was saying. People can call me crazy all they want but I know he does, and I can tell what every movement and action of his means. And I was worried about what I was about to say next.

"You let David touch you earlier, without trying to attack him or run away," Elder turned his head away; trying to ignore me, "You can look away all you want but I know you can hear me. I know you don't trust him...or anyone else, but do you think you can try; for me?" I asked and he kept looking in the opposite direction but he neighed quietly and tossed his head a bit; that was Elder speech for “I'll think about it”.

Mom was smiling at me from the porch swing as I walked up to the house.

"You two have a good talk?" Mom motioned to the barn, you could see where I was standing with Elder from the swing.

"Of course we did, best conversationalist I've ever known, that horse." I said with a smile as I sat down on the steps.

"I've always wondered how you two understand each other." Mom said thoughtfully. She was one of the few people who didn't think I was a nut-case for talking to Elder.

"I don't know, not really. I just know he understands the words I'm saying, on some level. He is a lot easier to understand, his actions just mirror his mood. When he's nervous he paws the ground, when he's angry he does that but he snorts too. When he's agreeing or being amiable he neighs, and when he won't make eye contact that means he's trying to ignore me or pretending not to listen." I gave her the rundown and finally she looked at me like I was a little touched in the head.

"Hey, you wanted to know." I said with a smile and she laughed.

"You and David have been talking a lot lately I've noticed." Mom said smugly.

"Yea we have, it's nice. Have you ever talked to him; fascinating guy." I said with some sarcasm, mom wasn't going to win this one.

"You know I haven't, I mean he's been here for a month now and we haven't said two words to each other. Tell me what he's like." I swear I could hear the laughter in her voice, evil woman.

Mom loved to prove me wrong and this was her way of doing it. She'd seen how close David and I had gotten, and after that little speech I gave her in the kitchen about not getting to know him…Yea she was going to make me pay.

"Nice guy, smart, funny. Pretty insightful too, when he's not being a pain the ass." I said nonchalantly, mom laughed.

"He wants to be an architect; he's actually been designing his own house for almost three years. I'd love to be able to do that, I suck at drawing and sketching and stuff like that. Remember what Mrs. Burke that old art teach from the school said about me?" I asked mom with a smile on my face, she threw back her head and laughed.

"She said you draw, sketch, and paint like your body was vibrating, all jerky and jumpy." Mom replied and I laughed. At the time it had upset me but once I took up the violin I didn't care anymore, I could laugh at it now.

She spent a little more time grilling me about David. I knew that she already knew everything I was telling her, she was just doing this to prove me wrong.

Around four though, she went inside to start making supper. I was hoping for one of my favorite dishes, I'd seen the bag of chicken breasts defrosting in the sink.

"Hey mom," I said as I came into the kitchen, "I'll help you out." I took the potato and knife from her, pushed her away from the sink and started peeling it myself.

                                                            *         *         *

"You do remember what I told you about not getting too involved with what’s going on here right, with Billy and his dad?" Uncle Scott asked as we sat in the Templeton's driveway.

"Yea I remember," I said as I looked out of the window, I could see Billy standing in front of the kitchen window, looking down into the sink, he was smiling, "What if I can't help it though, what if despite my best efforts I get too close, too attached?" I asked quietly, Uncle Scott knew what I was asking.

"Well, then you reconcile it...You won't be here much longer David. I know you're committed to helping this kid, but maybe you need to step back and look at things objectively. Are you doing more harm than good?" He asked and I had to admit he had a point.

"I don't know Uncle. I wish I could tell you I had more but I don't. I just have to go with my gut on this." I replied and Uncle Scott nodded sympathetically, he knew about my history with following my instincts.

"You just have to do what you think is best." Uncle Scott said and I smiled.

"Thanks for coming out here Uncle Scott. I know why you came and I appreciate it." I said and reached across the divider console and hugged him.

"You're welcome kiddo. I do have business at home tomorrow so I need to get going, my flight leaves at eight." He said as he pounded me on the back and I smiled.

"I'll see you when I get home Unc." I said but before I could get out of the car he grabbed my arm to stop me, I wish he hadn't; I felt like crying.

"I debated heavily on doing this...I know what will happen if you get caught with it...but I trust you not to take advantage of it and be smart about it." He said as he reached behind my seat and handed me a cell phone and its charger.

I looked at it, noting the Motorola symbol; a Black Razor.

"It's on my plan, unlimited talk and texting. As much as I want to say use it only in an emergency I know that’s asking too much. Just don't abuse it, I'm trusting you here." I had to swallow past the lump in my throat...trust...no one had trusted me in a long time.

"I won't Unc, I promise." I said and hugged him again.

After that we told each other good bye and I hopped out of the car, the phone and charger tucked securely into my pockets.

I came into the kitchen to see Billy peeling potatoes into the sink and Annie pulling out flour and spices from the cabinet by the stove.

"You guys cooking supper?" I asked and Billy laughed.

"What are you laughing at?" I asked as I slugged him in the arm, making sure the knife blade was away from his fingers.

"You, first 'yall' down at the river, now you're using 'supper' instead of dinner. You're assimilating pretty well I think." Billy said, fighting a laugh.

"Well you must be stealing my sophistication, assimilating; five syllable word. Good one hillbilly." I replied and Billy just stared at me before cracking up, Annie and I joining him.

"You two, oh I love it." Annie said between fits of laughter.

"What?" Billy and I asked together, making her laugh a little harder and the two of us blush a bit.

"You two it's just... It's like..." Annie said but didn't seem to have the words.

"It's sorta like having Seth back." Billy said with a smile and a reminiscent look in his eyes.

Annie nodded and I didn't know how to feel about it. I was glad that I was making Annie and Billy laugh but I didn't want to be a stand in for Seth.

I didn't have time to muse about it though; Annie came up to me and hugged me. Without thinking about it I put my arms around her and hugged back, letting myself remember getting hugged by mom, just for a moment.

Annie pulled back and I let my arms fall to my sides. She didn't say anything, just went back to her work.

"So, can I help?" I asked, feeling a little dumbstruck.

Billy put an arm around my shoulders and patted my chest with his free hand, letting it linger there while he pulled me over to the sink.

"Of course you can." Billy said as he let his arms fall and picked up a head of cauliflower and handed it to me.

"Break it apart and rinse it, then do the same with the broccoli." He said as he turned back to the potatoes.

It felt nice working with them, like being part of the family. Dad and I didn't cook very often, at least nothing that couldn't be microwaved or slid into the oven without preparation. But the few times we did it was nice.

"What’s that under your shirt?" Billy asked as he started cutting the potatoes he had peeled.

Forgetting I had tucked the shell under my shirt I pulled it out and showed to him.

Billy put down his knife and the potato he was working on and after wiping his hands on his jeans he reached out and took it between his fore and middle finger, running his thumb over the rough contours.

"Is it real? Like real, real?" Billy asked and I had to laugh.

"Straight from the shores of Hawaii. My Uncle got them from this couple who pick up shells off the beaches." I said and Billy's eyes lit up.

"That is just, cool. I mean I've seen seashells before don't get me wrong, it's just. I dunno it's cool. It's cool to have something like that, straight from the ocean like that." Bill said with a slight blush as he turned back to the potatoes.

Smiling I pulled the other necklace out of my pocket and out of the plastic bag. Deciding to have a little fun I slugged him in the arm again and when he turned around I held up the other seashell necklace.

Billy's eye went back and forth between the necklace and me before grinning shyly at me. I was painfully aware that Annie was watching us.

"So you want it or not?" I asked letting dangle from one finger, swaying back and forth.

"You don't have anyone else that would want it?" He asked uncertainly.

"Want it? Probably back home yea. Appreciate it, no. You would." Instead of waiting for him to make up his mind I unclasped it and re-clasped it around his neck; and went back to my veggies.

"Thanks." Billy said quietly.

I just turned my head a bit and smiled at him, he was cute when he blushed.

'Those are the kind of thoughts you can't afford to have about him, moron.' My mind whispered to me as I worked next to him.

I liked Billy, I liked him a lot. But it was like Uncle Scott said, I couldn't get into that. I was leaving soon, it wasn't fair to him.

Or to me.

After dinner, (fried chicken breasts with a creamy mushroom gravy, steamed broccoli and cauliflower and a baked potato each), Billy asked me to come out to the barn with him.

"Jack Murphy agreed to Mom's fee so starting tomorrow I'm going to be working down at the Murphy farm." Billy said without preamble.

"That really sucks, so why are we out here?" I asked and Billy led me over to Elders stall, I immediately balked.

"Billy, no way, there’s no way that's going to work, He HATES me." I said and Billy smiled, I had guessed right.

"He doesn't hate you; he just doesn't know you, like with Sam." Billy said and I glared at him.

"OK, OK, bad example; but the idea is still valid. After all he let you touch him earlier." Billy said and I had to agree.

"That was only for a second though, and he pulled away." I said trying to defend my point.

"I know, but it's still something. I don't mind taking him out a little early every now and then but I don't want him to get used to it." Billy said and the tone of his voice pulled at me, I knew how much the horse meant to him.

"I swear if he kills me I'll haunt you." I said and Billy smiled.

"He won't kill you, probably. Just come here." Billy said and I stepped closer to him.

"What are you going to do?" I asked with some trepidation as Billy grabbed my wrist.

"I don't know, this isn't going to be a one time thing. We’ll have to try this a few time’s...I'm just seeing if he'll let you touch him.” Billy’s voice was nervous, uncertain.

Before I could protest Billy rested my hand on Elders head, between his eyes.

Just like I knew he would Elder tossed his head and tried to back away.

"Easy boy, hold on." Billy said as he put his hand over mine, letting his fingers rest between mine.

As soon as he felt Billy's touch Elder immediately calmed down, but his eyes locked on me.

"Good boy, very good boy. We talked about this earlier. David's not going to hurt you, or me. Stay calm." Billy cooed and Elder turned his big brown eyes to look at him.

"Move your hand with mine." Billy muttered and I nodded in agreement.

Slowly we moved our hands up and down Elders head, from his brow to his nose; his coarse fur tickled my palm.

On our third circuit down Billy slowly let his hand slid off mine till it was just me petting him.

I smiled when Elder didn't pull away but it was too good to be true. I tried to veer off to the side and go up the side of his head but before I could he seemed to realize it was just me. He tossed his head, knocking my hand away.

"Well it wasn't a miracle, but it's a start." Billy said with a smile, giving me a tight one armed hug.

"Yea, a start." I said as I looked at Elder, he was staring me down.

                                                             *         *         *

I waited till we entered the woods before I turned on the flashlight. Getting out of the house hadn't been too easy. I'd been doing it for years but at the last minute David had expressed a slight fear of heights.

"I still can't believe you talked me into this." David said as we marched through the woods.

"The coming to the dance part or the climbing down the ladder part?" I asked with a smile and David punched me in the arm.

"Both...but this part especially. I'm not going to fit in here Billy. You and Walker are really the only people I know out here..." David said and I could hear the insecurity in his voice.

I stopped and turned around to look at David, noticing he wouldn't look me in the eye.

"It's not just me and Walker, Julian and Chris want you around too. I know this really isn't your scene, or your kind of music but I think if you loosen up and just let it happen you'll have fun." I told him as I reached out and squeezed his shoulder.

"Just stick close to one of us if you get nervous." I said and he smiled at me, I really loved it when he smiled.

When we made it to the barn I saw Walker, Chris, and Julian waiting for us outside.

"Walker was seriously waiting only another five minutes before he came to get you two." Julian called with a smile and Walker nodded.

"Well we would have been here sooner but it took some convincing to get David down the ladder." I said and David punched my arm, again.

"That’s right; I forgot you had a thing about heights." Julian said as the four of them walked into the barn.

"You coming?" Chris asked, looking over his shoulder.

"Yea I'll be in in a few minutes." I had seen Ben standing over by the corner of the barn, staring at me pointedly.

The guys gave me puzzled looks but David, who I had filled in earlier, ushered the three of them inside.

Once they were out of sight I walked up to Ben.

"Lets do this, I'm not sticking around." Ben nodded over to edge of the woods.

Once we were out of ear shot of the barn I started in.

"So what’s going on Ben, the three of you always seemed so tight before." I said and Ben shook his head.

"We were, I guess, in a way. We mostly just followed Andrews’ lead out of necessity though. If he was bullying someone else he wasn't picking at us." Ben said and I nodded my agreement, I could understand that.

"So what changed?" I asked and Ben leaned back against a tree and looked up at the sky.

"Dean's Dad died, left him a small fortune." Ben said and I did a double take.

"What?" I asked and Ben laughed.

"We found out earlier this summer that Dean isn't our biological brother, he's not even related to us." Ben said, noting the confusion on my face.

"His mom was a friend of ours back in the day. She got involved with a bad crowd, got addicted to some pretty bad stuff. Somehow she managed to get cleaned up and involved with this pretty stand up guy, James Murser." Ben said as he slipped down to sit against the tree.

“That's Dean's dad?” Ben nodded.

"She got pregnant and for reasons known only to her she left the guy and came to my mom. Apparently she was sick through most of the pregnancy and ended up dying shortly after Dean was born. Not before she made mom promise to take care of him though."

"And Dean's been raised as your brother since then." I said and Ben just nodded mutely.

"How did you guys find all this out?" I asked and Ben chuckled.

"It turns out Murser had known where Dean was for a long time, he never came forward because he figured Dean's mom had her reasons for not wanting him in Dean's life. Around the first of the month a lawyer turned up at our door step, saying that Murser had been killed by some guy who broke in to his house, robbery gone bad or something. It all came out after that." Ben said as he plucked a blade of grass and twisted it between his fingers.

"So that is what Andrew is pissed then, Dean's got money?" I asked as I sat down on the ground across from him.

"Pretty much yea. That money guarantees that Dean will get off the farm. There's enough to put him through college and maybe enough left over for a down payment on a house or something. Dean is smart, resourceful, driven. He'll go far. Andrew though is a lazy moron who thinks the world owes him everything. He'll live and die in this place." Ben said with a smile.

"What about you Ben? What are you going to do, why don't you hate Dean like Andrew does?" I asked and Ben shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm getting out of here too. I'm going up to I.U in a couple of years. And I can't hate Dean, I don't care what the lawyers or the DNA or anything else says. Dean's my baby brother and I love him and I'm going to take care of him, that’s why I'm putting off going to school for a year, waiting till he can leave too." Ben said and I could hear something in his voice.

"How much do you love Dean?" I asked and Ben looked up at me, a little sideways smile on his face.

"What are you asking me Templeton?" Ben asked and I shook my head.

"Nothing, you don't have to answer if you don't want to Ben, I'm just saying you can be honest with me if you want to be, I won't say anything." I knew I shouldn’t be probing like this; after all I could barely take care of myself.

"Enough to make sure he's safe, he’s my baby bro after all." Ben said as he stood up and brushed the dirt from his jeans.

"I get you." I said as I stood up and mimicked his motions.

"You'd better get back in there, you're friend was looking a little lost. I'm going to get home before Dean has a fit; Andrew took off when he came home earlier so it's hard telling where he is, or when he'll be back." Ben said as the two of us shook hands.

“Yea, it’s not really his kind of crowed.” I said and Ben smiled before I turned to leave.

“Hey Billy,” Ben said and I looked back at him, “Thanks for helping earlier.” He said and I nodded with a smile.

“I know what you meant when you asked me how much I loved Dean; it’s not what you think. I’ve got no issue with that sort of thing, neither does Dean. If you get what I mean.” Ben said and I felt the blood run to my face.

“I understand you Ben, thanks.” I said and Ben gave me a wink.

                                                            *         *         *

I was hanging out, (well, hiding), with Chris when Billy came back in from talking with Ben. I didn't know, or want to know, the Mason brothers but the situation seemed important to Billy, which was cool.

"You keep staring at him like that and you might as well go confess." Chris's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I felt the blood rush around my ears.

"No idea what you're talking about man." I said as I looked out over the dance floor, watching Billy talk to Julian.

"David Baily, Sacramento California, no siblings, interested in men. Current status: Headed to Indiana for the summer, wish me luck. So how lucky have you been?" Chris asked after quoting the status off my Facebook page.

"I did some checking up on you after our little party down at the river." Chris responded to the look I gave him.

"And?" I asked and Chris shook his head.

"Relax dude, I'm not going to say anything. Besides you're in good company." Chris said with a wink.

Sudden realization and numerous curiosities hit me all at once, making my head spin.

"You're gay?" I asked, not really bothering to whisper, no one was close enough to hear us over the music Chris was pumping out.

"OK, if we're going to be friends you need to NOT be the type of guy that’s needs EVERYTHING spelled out for you, it kind of bores me." Chris said as he loaded a couple of requests into his computer.

"I don't have to have things spelled out for me, I just like to be sure. Instinct hasn't been my friend in the past." I replied and Chris raised his eyebrow.

"It's why I'm here." I said before giving Chris my story.

"That's pretty messed up David, but it looks like you're doing better; and you're making awesome progress with Billy. I've never seen him this happy." Chris pointed out on the dance floor where Billy was dancing with a plump little brunette; she was shooting him these big doe eyes as he smiled sweetly at her.

That’s when I noticed several of the other girls were giving him those same looks.

"Is he always such a hot ticket?" I asked Chris and he laughed at me in response.

"Jealous much dude?" He asked, I tried to protest but he wouldn't let me," And yes he is, but usually he just dances with Sam. If everyone didn't know better they'd think the two of them were a couple." Chris said and I decided against telling him about Sam.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear, or in this case She." Chris said suddenly as he looked over to the barn door.

Samantha had just walked it, and from the way she was walking she was heading toward Billy.

I tried to intercept her but before I could a set strong hands grabbed and pulled me back; it was Walker.

"Dude you’ve got to let me go, you don't get it." I tried to explain but Walker just shook his head and pulled me back to where Chris was.

Back at the table he pointed first at me then at Chris with a meaningful look.

"Yea he does, at least in a way. He knows those two have had a falling out and he thinks Sam is here to fix it and he doesn't want you in the way since you and she can’t stand each other. And you could tell him this yourself. You can be honest with him." Chris said, directing his final sentences at Walker.

"OK, Beach Boy is confused." I said and Walker just looked at Chris and nodded.

Chris let out a sigh, loaded a dozen or so songs to play then drug me outside via the back entrance of the barn.

                                                            *         *         *

I was dancing to 'Real Good Man' with Mary Patterson when I felt the tap on my shoulder.

It seemed like everything stopped when I turned around to see Sam standing behind me, looking guilty with a sheepish grin.

"Hey Violet, think we can talk a minute?" She asked quietly as she pointed over her shoulder with her thumb.

Without thinking about it I nodded and followed her out, leaving Mary looking a little hurt.

Once we were outside we stood awkwardly around the corner of the barn. For once I wasn't gonna help Sam out, she came to me; she could start talking first.

"I just...I just want to apologize for walking out of the barn after you came out to me, for the way I acted over all." Sam rushed her words so it was kind of hard to understand her at first.

"Then why did you do it?" I tried not to sound as hurt as I felt.

"Honestly Billy...I don't know, not completely. I've always known there was something different about you, especially since Seth left. I've even suspected that you might be gay from time to time, I dunno though. Just something about hearing it all cut and dry like that really got to me." Sam said and while I could accept that I couldn't help but feel as though there was something she wasn't telling me.

"What are you leaving out here Samantha?" My use of her full first name always seemed to get to her.

Sam smiled shyly at me again before she talked.

"For these last few years...I might have been...you know...harboring a little crush on you." Sam cheeks flushed as red as her hair as she finished speaking.

"Sam...I never knew...I…I wish...you're like my little sister." I said without spite and Sam looked up at me, without tears.

"I know you didn't hillbilly, and this is why. Because I knew it was dumb. I've never expected us to fall in love and get married an all that stuff. We're too good at being friends, family, for that to happen.

Just hearing your confession really drove that point home; and it was exactly what I needed. I've been taking this time to get my head on straight, to get everything right with my own little world. I just want us back to way we were before…You think that's possible?" She asked and I shook my head.

"We can't be like that anymore Sam," I said, letting her sweat for the space of a heart beat, "But we can be better." I said as I held my arms out for her.

"You bastard." She said as she hugged me close.

"If only Roses, maybe then I wouldn't be all kinds of fucked up in the head." I said with a laugh.

Sam just looked up at me and smiled. We broke apart and I pulled back into the barn and out onto the dance floor and started to work into our normal rhythm.

"You should apologize to David too you know." I said just over the music and Sam smirked at me.

"I'll think about it." She said but I knew her better than that, she'd do it.

"It can't be Samantha Cain, as I live and breath." I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to find Julian had come up behind me.

I smiled at the predatory look in his eye, not the kind that Andrew usually gave her, this was something different.

"Little Julie Paulson, stupid name by the way, your mother should have kept her maiden name." Sam said with a smirk, but it didn't stop her eyes from roving appreciatively up and down Julian's body.

"It's Julian these days; Samantha." Julian said as he stepped closer to Sam, I backed up and let the two of them sort it out for themselves.

A slow song started up and just before Sam moved away Julian reached out and wrapped an arm around her waist.

I was about to step in when Sam turned in Julian's grip, cocking an eyebrow at him as she smiled slightly at him.

"I never said yes." She said and Julian nodded in reply.

"Yea and I never asked." Julian said as he started to sway with the music, pulling Sam with him.

"Ohhhkay, I'm just gonna go over there." I said as Sam wrapped her arms around Julian's neck as he wrapped his around her waist.

I pushed my way through the dance floor, toward Chris's table in the corner; noticing that Chris and David weren't there.

Without thinking about it I headed toward the back door, knowing I would have seen them if they had gone out the front.

                                                            *         *         *

"Do you know why Walker doesn't talk?" Chris asked once we were out of earshot of the barn.

"Nope, no one does do they?" I asked, still feeling confused as hell.

"Yea, Walker does, and so do I. Question is can you keep a secret?" Chris asked and I wondered how much more cloak and dagger my summer could get.

"Yea, I think I can." I said and Chris nodded.

"Walker has a real thing about honesty. His grandmother lived with them for a while before she died. She used to always tell him that if you can't be honest when you speak than you shouldn't say anything at all. Secrets, she said, were OK, but you should never lie to protect them; that you should just be silent when asked about them. Walker took her lessons to heart, the why is anyone's guess, but he's lived them since the day she died." Chris said and I put together a few of the pieces.

"So Walker has been hiding something, something big and to keep from lying about it he has taken a self imposed vow of silence?" I asked and Chris nodded.

"So, do I get let in on this big secret?" I asked and Chris hesitated before reaching to his back pocket and pulling out his wallet and tossing it to me.

"Open it." He said and as I did I saw a black and white picture staring up at me from one of the picture sleeves; a picture of Walker and Chris, with Chris's lips pressed on Walker's throat.

"You...you and Walker." I said quietly.

"We were friends almost as long as him and Billy. He's known that I'm gay since we were fifteen. I'd dated a few guys, discretely, before Walker asked me out. That was about three years ago." Chris said with a smile.

"You're the reason he's stopped talking?" I asked and Chris nodded.

"When we decided to be exclusive, try for the long haul, Walker decided that he wasn't going to be able to lie about it, about being gay or being with me. So he stopped talking. At least to everyone who doesn't already know." Chris said and I nodded.

"So he talks to you?" I asked curiously.

"All the time." Chris smiled.

Before I could say anything else I looked over his shoulder and saw Billy step out of the barn, closely followed by Walker.

"What are you two doing out here?" Billy asked, causing Chris to jump and snatch his wallet out of my loose grip.

Before either of us could respond though Walker stepped up behind Billy, making him jump as he laid his hand on his shoulder. He took Chris's wallet and tossed it to Billy.

"Open it." If I hadn't been looking at his mouth I wouldn't have believed that Walker had just spoken. The deep, rich, baritone though was fitting for a guy Walker's size.

Billy was struck dumb though, staring at Walker like he'd grown a second head. I came up to his side and opened Chris's wallet and showed him the picture.

Billy stared at the picture like he had stared at Walker, as if what it showed him was completely foreign to him. In the end he closed it and walked over to the two of them. He grabbed Walker by the sides of his head and pulled down and kissed his forehead, then did the same to Chris.

"Congratulations." Billy said with a wide smile.

"Wow, not what I was a expecting." Chris was looking confused as Billy handed him back his wallet.

Billy just smiled and stepped back to stand by me.

"It's your turn Billy." I said as I put my hand on his shoulder. He looked over at me and smiled.

"I don't have a nice little picture of me and my sweet heart but I've been keeping the same secret as the two of you." Billy said and Chris's jaw literally dropped.

Walker smiled and pushed Chris's chin up before he walked over to Billy, and picked him up in a very tight bear hug, I swear I heard bones pop.

"I've wondered, over the years, especially after Seth left." Walker said quietly and Billy nodded.

"We should get back inside; my music list should be running out." Chris said and the rest of us agreed.

"Where did you four go?" Sam asked us once we were back inside, Julian trailing in her wake.

Walker and Billy nodded to each other and Billy pushed her toward Walker who suddenly picked her up and tossed her over his shoulder and carried her out the back.

"Walker finally coming clean?" Julian asked and the three of us laughed.

                                                            *         *         *

"I want to thank you David," Billy said as we walked back through the woods toward the house," Without you having come here I would have never had the courage to get this far."

"You're welcome Billy. I’m just glad that I could help, that things with Walker and Sam worked out well." I said with relief, Sam coming around had been a godsend…and I never suspected Walker.

"Yea me too." Billy said as we came to the edge of the trees.

For a few minutes the two of us stood there looking out at the house. I don't think either of us wanted to go back there, not really. Going back inside meant Billy had to clam up again, that I'd have to put up with William...and tomorrow Billy would start working on the Murphy farm for who knows how long.

"Are you going to be OK, working down there with Candy so close?" I asked and Billy shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know, not really. I'm going to give it my best shot. The longer I survive the more money I can bank. The more I get the better for me I guess." Billy said as I leaned against one of the trees.

"I'm still a fan of the idea of locking her and Sam in a room together." I smiled, making Billy laugh quietly.

"We'd better get back inside." I said and stepped out of the trees; before I had gone too far though I felt Billy's hand on my shoulder. His hand drifted up to the side of my neck, his thumb brushing my cheek; as he stepped in front of me.

Before I had a chance to register what was going on I felt Billy's lips brush mine, they were so warm, full and soft that I didn't even think about it. I pressed back against him, letting my hands grip his shoulders.

Finally though my senses came back to me and I jerked away.

"You kissed me." I said quietly and Billy looked at me sheepishly, brushing his bottom lip with the knuckle of his thumb.

"Yea...I did...and you kissed back." He replied and I nodded.

I'm in so much trouble.

                      

 

To be continued......
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I hope you all enjoyed the chapter; I will have more to you soon. As always I love to get your thoughts and opinions so feel free to email me at allenarcane88@yahoo.com, drop me a PM, write me a review or visit the discussion forum.

I read and respond to everything.

Discussion forum link
http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/26094-indiana-summer/

  

Copyright © 2014 NightOwl88; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This chapter was very touching. You have a gentle hand with your storytelling.

Link to comment
On 06/01/2011 05:42 PM, Foster said:
This chapter was very touching. You have a gentle hand with your storytelling.
I thank you reviewing and for your compliment, it means a lot to me. I am glad that you liked the chapter. best,NightOwl
Link to comment

This is a wonderful chapter, as sweet as an Indiana summer day. With all the tension and trouble going on, it's nice to see the good side of life. There is always hope and Billy has it in his friends and mom and, of course, David. The self-imposed silence seems awfully stern, but then it's really not that bad compared to what others do to themselves unknowingly. This is a great story. I wish I had time to read it faster, but I'll keep at it!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..