Jump to content
    quokka
  • Author
  • 813 Words
  • 1,228 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tsunami - 4. Tsu Chapter 4

When I woke up, it was to the sound of the telephone ringing, “Hello, Lukin Ashburton speaking” I said sleepily into the phone receiver, and there was a bit of a pause before there was a reply, “Hello little brother, how are you holding up, is all the family safe?” came the reply from my older brother of two years, who I hadn’t seen since Kyle was kicked out of the family home, a day after his 18th birthday, when he announced to the family that he was gay, “Hey Kyle, when am I going to see you again, these monthly phone calls are great, but it would be good to see you again” I said cheerfully, trying to avoid the subject of what was happening locally.

“As a matter of fact, I am close by, I’m in Singapore on business when I heard the news of the tsunami, mum has been secretly keeping in touch with me every few months, and she told me that you guys were having a holiday on the west coast of Malaysia during Christmas. I have had a hell of a time trying to get a phone call through to you” was Kyle’s reply, noting that his little brother hadn’t answered the earlier question at all.

“Mei and the older boys were in or around Kuala Kedah, which is about an hour west of Alor Setar, Mei had left the twins in day care at the hotel, while I was in Penang on Business, so I have no idea if Mei and the older boys have survived or not, the twins are asleep here in the hotel suite, and are too young to know what is happening to their mother and brothers” I replied hesitantly, knowing that I couldn’t avoid answering Kyle’s question for two much longer. “Don’t worry about a thing, I will be on the next flight to Penang, and I will drive up to Alor Setar, I will see you later on today, bye for now little brother and try not to worry too much, just keep safe, Bye” Kyle said, and he hung up the phone.

Singapore Embassy fifteen minutes later...

“My name is Kyle Ashburton, my brother and sister-in-law and nephews are holidaying in the western region of Malaysia, I have spoken to my brother a short time ago, and he and his twin sons are safe, but his wife and two oldest sons were believed to be in the Kuala Kedah area at the time of the tsunami, I was wondering if you could assist me with any information” Kyle asked the embassy officer, as he sat down in a chair in front of a desk of the embassy officer.

Well Mr Ashburton, we are aware of your brother and his family being in the area, with enquiries from the hotel staff where they are staying, and from your brother himself, although I don’t think he was taking in any of the information that I was giving him, when I spoke to him earlier in the day. Kuala Kedah, like all other towns and villages in the area, have been very badly damaged, now just the local authorities are able to assist with helping people, as there is no way of getting into the area via road, and all military aircraft are in use, to assist, one town at a time. All we can do for now is keep in touch with you with any information that we will gather from the local authorities. I’m sorry that is all we can do for now sir” the embassy officer said.

Kyle thanked the embassy officer and informed her that he would be making his way to Alor Setar to be with his brother, once outside the embassy, Kyle returned to his hotel where he packed up all his luggage and checked out of this suite, climbed into his hire car and made his way to the airport, where he has already booked a flight to Penang, arriving at 7pm, and he had already booked a hire car to use for the drive from Penang to Alor Setar. He had also managed to get a suite on the same floor as his brothers at the Lotus Hotel and informed them of his late arrival at the hotel.

It was close to 9pm by the time he finally arrived at the Lotus Hotel, very tired and looking forward to a hot shower, before going to see his little brother who he had not seen in over 8 years. Kyle was the oldest of 4 boys, with Jared who is 20 now attending university, and Isaac who is 16, still attending high school, both he had not seen for eight years either, and it was all because of their very homophobic and alcoholic father, who is always to be heard and obeyed.

 

Copyright March 2018 All Rights are Reserved Preston Wigglesworth
  • Like 8
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I’m glad that Kyle found Lukin and the twins, after speaking by phone Kyle informed Lukin that he was in Singapore on business and heard that Lukin and his family were in Malaysia on holiday. Kyle talked to Lukin about his family and he then told Lukin that he would see him later and that he was taking a flight to Penang and he would get a hire car and come to Alor Setar. Kyle finally arrived in Alor Setar around 9 pm and booked into a suite on the same floor as Lukin and the twins. After speaking to a Embassy staff person Kyle was able to find out that Kuala Kedah was badly hit and that only the local authorities were searching the rubble and that, this was due to the fact that they were cut off from road access and all military aircraft were busy. I hope that the rest of Lukins family is alright and Mei isn’t able to call because the phones are not working there. Another excellent chapter, I can’t wait for the reunion of Lukin and Kyle who haven’t seen each other for 8 years after their homophobic father told Kyle to leave.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..