Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prophylaxis - 22. Chapter 22

Robin: I’m sorry it’s been so long since I’ve posted… well, anything. I’ve had a whole lot going on that’s made it impossible to have time to write. But I have some time now! Hopefully, I can get some chapters posted! Thank you for being patient with me.

Huge thanks to MaddamRedder for proofreading for me and being my Gay Smut Soulmate. She saves me from messed up continuity, and characters wearing pants and towels at the same time. >.< Thanks to Thirdly for constant encouragement and helping me with Zeru! I hope he amuses you. Poor Riley…

Also, the cadaver story is a true story. Gawd, that class was gross.

content/trigger warning: violence, gore, medical, gross ickies, redhead fetish, lots of bathing

I didn’t remember anything about the trip from the healer’s rooms to our own. I suddenly found myself sitting on our bed, blinking stupidly at a very worried looking Riley. He held my gaze and let out a relieved sigh.

“There you are.” He squeezed my cold hands. “You were all spaced out for a while there.” Riley knelt in front of me. “Where are you hurt?”

I touched my sore cheek and my aching belly. “I think I’m okay.”

Takashi prowled into the room as Riley was pulling my hand from my stomach. He was still a giant black cat and I wondered how he’d opened the door without thumbs. Some of his fur looked wet. I couldn’t see the red against the black, but I knew it was blood. I shivered as he sat a few feet away from us and began grooming himself like a housecat, running his wide rough tongue over his chest and front legs before licking the side of a paw and rubbing it over his dark furry face. Did he like the taste of the blood, I wondered?

I pulled my fascinated gaze away at Riley’s shocked gasp. He’d pulled my shirt up and was looking at the ugly words staining my stomach. Fuck. Great, I had a nasty word burned into my chest by fucking evil Les, might as well have some more magicked onto my belly. The next asshole might have to put something on my back, my front was running out of real estate. I could have WHORE and VIOLENT RAPE on my front. They could put won't use turn signal or puts the toilet paper on wrong on my back.

“Oh, Mick…” Riley said softly. “Do you need healing? How badly did they hurt you when they… Are you bleeding back there again?”

“I… They didn’t.” I couldn’t meet his eyes.

“Hey, it’s okay.” Riley cupped my cheek. “None of this is your fault, honey. But I need to know how bad it is. If you don’t want to say, I can just look. I’ll be careful, I promise.”

“No, you don’t understand.” I shook my head. “Something happened. He was… fuck… He was about to… But I told them to stop, to get away from me.” I looked into Riley’s pretty green eyes. “They didn’t want to do what I said, but they stopped. I told them what to do and they did it. Then you came in.”

“Do you think you can do it again?” Riley asked as he sat back on his heels. “Make someone do what you say?”

“I… Maybe?” I answered.

He pushed himself up to stand. He looked to Takashi then back to me. “Try on me.”

I took a deep breath, wrapping my arms around my marred belly. I closed my eyes, trying to remember the feeling that came over me before I yelled at the healer. Anxiety twisted in my gut as I felt phantom hands touching me cruelly. My skin started to tingle and my skull buzzed. My eyes snapped open.

My voice seemed to echo through the room, sounding strange. “Take off your shirt.”

Riley’s eyes widened as his hands snapped to the hem of his shirt to quickly whip the whole thing off over his head.

“Get on your hands and knees.”

He dropped immediately into position on the floor.

“Now,” I ordered, “bark like a dog.”

“Arf! Arf arf!” Riley’s face was shocked as he yipped like a terrier.

“A big dog!” I couldn’t stop myself. I was such a little shit. I had barely escaped a rape and I still had the sass to fuck around.

“Woof! Woof! Woof!” My fae lover’s voice was surprisingly loud and deep.

I covered my mouth, trying not to snicker.

“I think I’m convinced.” Riley laughed softly. “Can I get up?”

“Yeah, sure.” I let the buzzing seep from my head.

Riley got up and flopped onto the bed next to me. “Under different circumstances, that could be fun to play around with in private sometime.”

I looked down to notice a conspicuous bulge in his pants.

“You like me bossing you around and making you bark like a puppy-dog?” I asked impishly.

Riley shifted beside me, a blush stained his pale gold skin. “Maybe… a lot…”

I leaned a little to the side, bumping him with my shoulder affectionately. When we had some free time, Riley and I were going to have a little fun. I still felt a strange pull to Riley. I wanted to be near him, touch him. Maybe part of it was the skin hunger, but I honestly liked him. He didn’t act like I would expect an old fae to act. I supposed that would be true of Takashi, as well. The cat was ancient by human standards.

But I wasn’t human, was I? I never had been. It had all been a lie, a cover. I was fae. With the glamour blown off me by what Les had done, I couldn’t deny it. My idea of myself was wrong. My hair was silver, not brown. It wasn’t even a natural silver like I might see in regular humans. There was a tint to it that seemed almost metallic, like solid silver had been pulled into thin strands and forced to flex and move like hair. As a kid I would have loved it, but now it was just strange to me. The darkening of my skin didn’t bother me as much as my hair and eyes. My skin still looked normal, at least. Though I had lost any little age lines I might have had. My eyes were more like an animal’s now, like a husky’s blue gaze or some azure-eyed Siamese. They were blue, but nothing like a human’s. I didn’t like looking at my reflection anymore.

“Alright, so you can do some fancy stuff now. Something you can use to defend yourself,” Riley said seriously. “It sounds like a good thing. It seems to me that trouble hunts you like a cat with mice.” He looked at Takashi, still grooming himself. “No offence.” Takashi gave him a serene nod and continued cleaning himself.

Well, I couldn’t argue with that. Trouble and I were like ants and a picnic. Bring on the bug buffet. What if I’d had this ability when I was younger, though? I could have told my step-dad to take a hike before he ever had a chance to marry my mom.

I shook my head, thinking about could have beens would just make me crazy. I was glad I could do this weird bossy thing. I hoped it didn’t leave as suddenly as it had come.

“Let’s get a better look at your stomach, Mick,” Riley said. “You’ve had your arms wrapped around your middle this whole time and it stinks of some nasty magick.”

I wanted to say no, hide my graffitied skin and keep it covered like I tried to do with my other scars. I knew it wouldn’t fly. So, I put my hands stiffly to my sides and let Riley open my shirt. He was gentle as I knew he’d be. He said nothing and didn’t react except for a tightening around his eyes.

“Dirty magic,” the redhead huffed and looked to Takashi. “Can you do something about this?”

The massive cat must have been done cleaning. I expected him to return to his human form, but he was still a cat as he stepped up and Riley moved to the side. A tiny thrill of fear and fascination went through me. Jesus, he was huge.

I was at a zoo once that had glass on one side and tigers on the other. One of the great animals had stood next to the glass, looking at the children with predatory eyes as the parents and kids oohed and ahhed obliviously. That cat had been huge. Takashi, though, was nearly twice the size of that tiger. It felt unreal when he was close to me.

I couldn’t believe I’d shot this gigantic creature with a hose while I was pissed about my hyacinths. I was lucky he hadn’t eaten me in two bites.

I made an embarrassingly girly squeal when he nudged my hand with his nose. I realized I was holding my stomach again. I snapped my hands back to my sides and let Riley pull my shirt off me entirely. Takashi’s whiskers tickled, making my abdominal muscles flutter as he sniffed my belly. He turned his head to the side and blew air out of his nose like he’d gotten a whiff of something nasty. I didn’t take it personally. Takashi’s nose was damp and cold as he nudged my hands and arms until they were behind my back. He nudged Riley the same way until he was behind me, holding my wrists.

I was getting suspicious that what was going to happen next wouldn’t be enjoyable.

“This would be easier if you spoke English,” I told Takashi.

He raised a lip, flashing a long white fang. I really hoped that was a kitty version of a smile. The cat gave Riley a nod and the redheaded fae held my arms while Takashi seemed to be facing off with my stomach. His round ears laid back flat on his head and he hissed… at my tummy. Takashi made a low rumbling growl that reminded me of a lawn mower. He opened his mouth, showing fangs as long as knives and let out a bellowing roar. It wasn’t a constant noise, more like someone trying to start a monster chainsaw over and over. I struggled against Riley’s hold, because holy fuck, giant teeth on a giant cat who was yelling at me. But, he had me in a tight hold that I couldn’t overpower.

I felt a sudden stabbing pain in my belly that left me gasping. I looked down at my stomach and saw the words there were starting to blur at the edges, like ink in water. The words and pain faded as Takashi hissed and roared. Two things finally made my fear slip away and left me chuckling. The first was the realization that Takashi’s breath was minty fresh. His oral hygiene had to be excellent, even if flossing as a cat would be extremely challenging. I really wanted to get a look at my kitty friend’s chompers. The second thing was when I looked down and saw the letters had oddly faded until they no longer spelled what they originally had. LENT RAP now graced my stomach. I imagined that as my greatest fear, pious church folks making up raps about Lent and what they would be giving up for their religious observation, while I was hiding in my house every ash Wednesday with earplugs in.

Riley and Takashi both ignored what they must have thought was my mad giggling as Takashi finished kitty-yelling at my stomach. When he was done, the words were gone and everything felt fine. I peeked at my chest and frowned, the W-word was still there. Dammit.

Takashi must have signaled Riley, because the petite fae released my arms. I thought that would be it, but Takashi didn’t back off. Instead, he nuzzled into my lap and started licking my tummy with long rasping strokes.

“Oh, god!” I yelped. “Tickles!”

Riley rested his hands on my shoulders, not pushing down, but it was enough to keep me in place. I couldn’t help my wriggling, though, or the embarrassing giggling. Takashi began to purr like he had a big motor in his chest, which helped with the tickling. I finally got my tittering under control and looked down at the massive black head in my lap. I gently rested my hands on the top of his ebony head. His ear flicked once, but he didn’t stop purring and licking. I spread out my fingers, and the top of his skull was bigger than both my splayed hands. Damn big kitty. I was very glad he liked me.

I gingerly stroked the inky fur. It was like thick velvet, so soft. When he didn’t seem to mind my petting, I explored where I could reach with my hands. His ears seemed sensitive, so I didn’t pester them more than to scratch behind them, which he seemed to like. If I touched them anywhere else they flicked in annoyance. His neck was thick and a mass of muscle, but the fur was still velvety soft. I couldn’t reach further than that, so I returned to petting his head. Takashi let me, purring and washing the bad magick off me.

At some point the licking stopped and I was simply holding Takashi’s head in my lap, stroking his fur. It was soothing. I thought that maybe there was something to what I’d heard about how petting a cat can lower a person’s blood pressure. I wondered if Takashi would let me rub his belly precisely three times before nipping me. I chuckled at the thought of my feline friend rolling around on the floor like a demanding Persian.

Takashi pulled his head back and peered at me, as though suspecting my thoughts. I patted his head apologetically. His long rough tongue gave my wrist a lick just above my new wood bracelet. He shook his head, whiskers twitching. I turned to look at Riley as I heard him laugh. When I looked back, Takashi was a man again, fully clothed and looking down at me.

“That thing on your wrist makes my tongue tingle.” He looked thoughtful for a moment before his attention returned to me. “How do you feel?”

“All better.” I smiled. “Thank you.”

He nodded and reached out with a long-fingered hand. “Let’s get you cleaned up, hmm?”

I did feel pretty icky. I thought maybe my soul needed a bath… with bleach and steel wool. I’d have to settle for soap and water on my body.

I was a little dizzy as I stood, but Takashi took my hand, steadying me.

“I’ll clean up a little out here.” Riley shooed us toward the bathroom. “Take your time.”

I was a little dazed as Takashi led me through the door and shut it. He sat me on the edge of the ridiculously large tub and stripped his clothing off, dropping it into a little pile. He helped me get the rest of my clothes off then turned the water on for the tub. I expected to climb into the bath. Instead, Takashi drew me into his arms, tucking me under his chin. I wasn’t short, I reminded myself, he was just stupid tall.

“I didn’t protect you,” he said softly.

“It’s okay.” I shrugged in his embrace. “I’m alright. And, now I know something cool I can do.”

“It is very cool,” Takashi agreed. I could hear the smile in his voice.

“You want me to boss you around sometime?” I grinned up at him.

“I think that’s more to our Riley’s tastes…” His head tilted to the side. “Perhaps we could play with it in the future, though. It could be amusing.” Takashi’s smile turned naughty. “I wouldn’t mind seeing you use your ability on a certain wolf.”

I swatted his chest lightly. “You’re bad.”

“Yes,” he agreed shamelessly. “You love it.”

“I think I’m too worn out to love it right now.” I rested my forehead on his chest. “Maybe I can love it later.”

I felt a soft kiss on the crown of my head. I squeaked as I was suddenly lifted in strong arms and deposited in warm water. Takashi pulled down a few bottles and joined me in the tub. There was certainly room. He had me dunk my head and then settled behind me. One of the bottles must have held shampoo, because be poured a bit into his palm and set about turning my hair into a mass of sweet-smelling bubbles. His fingers felt so good on my scalp and running through my hair. I closed my eyes and leaned against him. He washed my body with the same soap and a little sponge. I let him move me where he wanted. I just kept my eyes closed and tried to enjoy the attention.

When he was done I felt shiny as a new penny. I thought I should return the favor, but he was already lathering himself up and efficiently washing himself. So, I let myself float a bit. I’d never been in a tub big enough to float in. Takashi must have finished because he caught me and tucked me to his chest. He smelled nice. I rubbed my cheek against his damp chest, making him chuckle. His deft fingers stroked through my hair. No tangles. That was some good shampoo.

“I love seeing you as yourself,” Takashi murmured. “You were always lovely. Now you truly shine.”

“I don’t like it.” I frowned. “I feel strange this way.”

“You’ll get used to it.” I could feel Takashi’s voice vibrate in his chest. “When I was young I couldn’t shift. I was always a cat, and I enjoyed it. My mother decided when it was time for me to learn to be like this as well. She pushed me to change and locked me that way for a year, to adjust.”

“That must have been hard,” I said quietly.

“A bit,” he admitted. “It was necessary. My body felt strange and foreign to me for some time. I got used to it. Now, it’s simply a part of me.”

I nodded. He was probably right. I’d get used to my appearance with time.

“With glamour you can look the way you used to, for a time,” he said gently. “You just need to learn.”

I sighed and nodded. It sounded hard.

“I love you like this and I love you wearing your glamour.” He kissed my temple. “You’re strong. You’ll make it. We simply have to figure out a few things.”

I was about to respond when Takashi sat up straighter in the tub. His eyebrows drew down. “Someone’s here,” he growled.

I covered my privates and looked around wildly, but I didn’t see anyone. Takashi climbed gracefully out of the tub. He didn’t bother to dry himself or even put on some pants as he strode to the door and flung it open. I was mesmerized for a moment by that delectable flexing behind before I clambered out of the tub and followed, wrapping a towel around my waist as I went.

“You get out, or you’re going to find yourself cooking on my skewer,” I heard Riley shout. He sounded fierce, badass. “I don’t care how pretty you might think I am!”

I pushed my wet hair out of my face as I carefully stepped into the room. Riley was blocking the doorway holding what looked like a sword made of fire. It wasn’t on fire, it was fire, its outline wavering with licking flames. Holy shit, where had that come from? Riley seemed unaffected by holding it. Total badass.

Over his shoulder I could see a man in the doorway. He looked fae, but I was too new in this world to know for sure. He was certainly colorful. Bright scarves hung from his waist, obscuring but failing to hide the golden scimitars on his hips. His skin was gold as well, not bronzed like a tan. It was like warm honey. It went well with his hair, which hung in wheat-blond waves to his shoulders. Braids framed his face, and even from across the room I could see the strange red hue of his irises. He was bigger and taller than Riley, but the man had his hands raised in surrender.

“I mean no harm, little spark,” he said pleadingly. His voice was rich and smooth, I wondered if he could sing. “I was sent by the King.”

“I don’t know you,” Riley spat. “I’ve no way of knowing if you came from the King. You say you mean no harm, but that phrase could be twisted to mean many things that would still leave my Mick in a bloody heap on the floor.” The hair on Riley’s head began to glow, looking more and more like true flames. “I will cleave your hands from your body before I let you touch him.”

Well, that was kind of sweet in a gruesome horrible kind of way.

“Zeru?” Takashi spoke, resting a calming hand on Riley’s tense shoulder. “What are you doing here?”

“Takashi?” The stranger grinned, teeth very white against honeyed skin. “I heard you were prowling the halls again.” The man’s wine-red eyes flicked to me and I shrank back, unsure of him. He looked back to Takashi. “You’re here with the Sifter and this lovely little Seelie? Goddess, you always could find the most interesting things to involve yourself in, neh?”

“I am intimately involved with them,” he said meaningfully. It sounded like a warning. “Now answer my question.”

Riley shook the flamey sword at the man. His hands went into the air again.

“I’ve been sent by the King, I swear it,” he repeated. “I’m of the guard now. I tired of being bard and jester. I have a debt to repay, the guard allows me to do that.”

“Extinguish your blade, Riley.” Takashi sighed heavily. “The fool is telling the truth.”

“Hey!” Zeru said, though he didn’t really sound offended.

Riley looked unsure, but opened his hand from the hilt of his strange sword. The fire simply vanished, like a candle flame flickering out. Total complete badass. I wondered if he could teach me how to do that.

“What’s your message?” Riley asked shortly.

“Don’t be angry, pretty one.” He smiled charmingly at Riley. “I’m here to help.”

I stepped further into the room as Takashi folded his arms, making his lithe muscles flex, as he waited for an explanation.

“I’m here to help protect the Sifter.” He gave me a nod, his red eyes unnerving me. “The King heard about what the healer has done and is… displeased. I’m here to assure nothing else happens to him that isn’t within the King’s wishes.”

“We can protect Mick just fine, thank you very much!” Riley snapped, his hair flaring into flames for a moment.

Riley seemed to have a fierce side to him that I hadn’t seen much of, and if he could really use that sword I had a feeling he could back it up.

“Like you protected him before?” Zeru asked with a shake of his head. “With the healer and with whatever got him so damaged you had to bring him here in the first place?”

An angry noise rumbled from Takashi’s throat.

“Fine, fine, you can protect him.” The man’s hands were in the air again. “But I’ve been ordered here by my king. If I don’t stay I’ll end up in the same position as the healer and his apprentice.”

“Scratched to bits by my claws?” Takashi growled.

Zeru shook his head. “Gutted and hanging on a hook in the main hall.” His sunny skin paled. “He bound their powers. They’ll stay up there, swinging by their entrails, until the king feels inclined to let them down and allow them to heal.”

“They’re hanging there alive?” I sputtered, horrified.

“Well, of course,” Zeru said. “How else will they learn?”

I felt ill. I would be avoiding the main hall if at all possible.

“If you do anything or fail to do anything that leads to Riley or Mick being hurt in any way,” Takashi threatened with a low growl, “the King’s punishment will look like a slap on the wrist compared to what I will do to you.”

When I looked at Takashi, his eyes had taken on a red of their own, spreading from the pupils like spilled ink. He looked fucking scary. I was once again glad he was on my side.

“We may have played when I was a kitten, but I’m not the child I once was. I’ve come far, done much, and destroyed many enemies since you last knew me. You know who I am, what I am, now.”

Zeru’s mouth opened and closed a few times before he answered, “I understand, Lord Bakeneko.”

I scooted over to Riley and whispered to him as quietly as I could, “What the fuck is going on?”

“I have no idea,” he whispered back. “No fae is more terrifying than the King or Queen. That is quite a threat that Takashi is more dangerous than they are.”

“What is Takashi?” I asked out of the side of my mouth as I watched Zeru and Takashi have a staring contest.

“I don’t know,” came the soft reply, “He’s a bakeneko cat. But, we don’t have any of them in the Seelie Court and I never knew any other but Takashi.”

I didn’t have a chance to ask anything else because Takashi suddenly turned to us.

“It would seem we have an addition. Let me introduce Zeru.” Zeru cleared his throat and Takashi sighed. “Zeru the Golden.”

Zeru gave a low sweeping bow. I caught a glimpse of a small gold harp on his back. I'd never known anyone who could play the harp. I wondered what it sounded like.

Zeru stood straight again and tugged at the hem of his simple shirt. The shirt and his pants were plain compared to the scarves hanging from his waist and the man himself.

“A pleasure to meet such lovelies,” the odd fae said flamboyantly.

I wasn't sure I could handle so much color after the day I'd had. That wasn't his fault, though, so I gave him a little wave in greeting.

“The presence of the Sifter is requested by the King in the main hall in reasonable haste.” Zeru was talking about me, but his eyes were all for Riley, who was frowning at him.

“Fine,” Takashi sighed. “Now, out.”

“I'll just… guard the door then,” Zeru said with a little pout and swept from the room.

Riley and I looked at Takashi, who was rubbing his forehead until he noticed our meaningful stares.

“I knew Zeru when I played in the courts as a much younger man, little more than a child really.” He pulled clean clothing from a drawer and began to dress. “He was mostly harmless, but I'd avoid being alone with him, especially you Riley. His father is fae, but his mother is a Siren. He has a weakness for redheads that borders on a fetish. I wouldn't trust him not to sing you into his bed.”

“Well, that's nice and rapey for a guy who's supposed to be guarding us,” I grumbled.

“He's guarding only you, Mick.” Takashi fixed his collar with a bit more force than necessary. “And you'll find the concept of consent can be quickly blurred in this court. It would do you both well to remember that.”

“Sounds quite a bit like the Seelie Court,” Riley murmured.

“I suddenly find myself not wanting to leave either of you alone,” I admitted.

“That's likely a good idea for a multitude of reasons,” Takashi replied before stepping closer to cup my cheek.

“Can you forgive us? “ Riley asked softly, taking my hand.

It took me a moment to figure out what they were talking about.

“There's nothing to forgive.” I leaned into Takashi’s touch and gave Riley’s hand a squeeze. “Thanks for getting me out of there.”

Riley hugged me. It was sweet until my towel fell. Riley giggled and groped my bottom. I realized Zeru had seen me shirtless and now knew I had WHORE in ugly letters above my heart. I pulled back and covered the scarred word with my hand.

“Let's get you dressed,” Riley said cheerfully, as though he hadn't been threatening death and dismemberment via fiery sword just minutes before. “If a king calls for you, you want to be presentable.”

“Aww, no torn jeans and ironic t-shirts? “ I asked.

“No.” Riley made a face.

“What about this? “ Takashi asked pulling an outfit of soft grays from the dresser.

“That wasn't there before.” Riley noted with a frown.

“Neither was the bracelet he's wearing,” Takashi said meaningfully.

It went over my head but Riley seemed to get it. I tried to get them to explain. Instead, I was hustled into the clothes. My hair was brushed until I thought I might go bald. Riley and Takashi tied jewels and tiny bells into my hair. I thought the tiny tinkling noise would annoy the piss out of me, but it was actually kind of soothing.

It didn't seem like we were nearly in the rush we ought to be in, but they assured me that to go before the King not looking our best would be insulting. I grumbled and let them dress me up like little girls with a new doll.

Riley and Takashi didn't take long to fancy themselves up, and I had to admit they looked damn fine. Takashi looked lean, handsome, and more than a little dangerous in his dark oriental-style tunic and pants. Riley’s emerald shirt and forest green leather pants just made me want to strip them off him.

I still wasn't used to my reflection, but I had to admit I looked pretty good. The grays of my shirt and slacks went nicely with my hair and eyes. The little gems in my hair were a hint of color that kept me from being drab. I was kind of sad Guy wasn't here to see me looking cute. I comforted myself knowing he was safer at home. I'd see him when all this was over.

I was tired of pushing him away. Would he even want me anymore, after everything that had happened?

Eventually, we could primp no more. Zeru followed along as Takashi led us to the main hall. I thought the red-eyed fae had no thought in his head but trying to flatter Riley, but I saw how his eyes constantly scanned the area and he stayed slightly behind me, guarding my back as Riley held my left hand and Takashi stood to my right. Perhaps there was more than lust and testosterone between Zeru’s ears.

Takashi warned me to keep my eyes down as we entered the main hall. I was about to ask why when I heard the pained moans from above me. Oh yeah, I hadn't wanted to come here just for this reason.

I kept my eyes fucking down, but I should have just closed my eyes and let Riley lead me by the hand. My peripheral vision caught gruesome smears of blood and… chunks in a cascade down the wall. Two barrels were placed next to the worst of the mess. Liquid dripped softly into them. I didn't have to look to know it wasn't water. Riley made a disgusted noise. I didn't know if it was the sight or the smell that bothered him.

In dental school, I'd had an anatomy and histology class. It included cadaver dissection. It was about as awful as most people imagined.It was kind of like serial killer school. I learned how to carefully skin a person, how to separate the skull from the spine so the only thing holding the head on were the muscles at the front of the neck, and how to effectively use a saw to split the head in half to reveal the nasal sinus. It was fascinating, but awful.

One warning I took to heart was to be careful not to pierce the bowel when we were working in the abdominal cavity.

The bodies were preserved, but not… cleaned out. The group at the table next to mine had the body of an elderly woman who had died from a ruptured colon. As soon as they opened her up, it was rank. The thin elderly gentleman that I worked on died of a stroke. He was hardly sweet-smelling, but he was a bouquet of roses compared to her.

So, I knew that stench. Minus the smell of preservatives and chemicals, I still could recognize that someone's large intestine had been torn open. On top of it was a smell of blood so heavy I could taste it on my tongue.

I tried to walk faster.

“They'll dry up in a month or two,” Zeru told us helpfully. “Then things won't be quite such a mess.”

I put a hand over my mouth and ordered myself not to puke. Definitely time to walk faster.

When we were out of sight, hearing, and smell range I breathed a little easier. I began to notice the people around us. Most looked like court fae, slender and pretty. But there was a solid ten or twenty percent that were clearly not even close to human. Some resembled animals, yet were having conversations with other people and most wore clothes. Others I couldn't figure out just what they looked like. Like tended to call like, with the people clustering around others that looked most like them.

And I could feel them, all of them.

Their minds buzzed and hummed, stroking against me like overly affectionate house cats. But they didn't overwhelm me. I stood in a river of thoughts and emotions and the rushing flow couldn't touch me unless I allowed it. I chose not to let them in, and my mind stayed my own. No one else's worries stuck to me. Everything slid smoothly past me. I couldn't help my spreading smile. Maybe losing my glamour wasn't such a bad thing. I wouldn't be sending Les a thank you note, though.

The smile stuck even when we ran into an obstacle on our way to the front of the massive room. A crowd blocked us, many of them cheering at whatever they were watching.

Takashi pulled me close and Zeru went on alert as a long howl split the air. It was a sound of challenge, not pain. Moments later a body sailed over the heads of the onlookers. It landed with a bone crunching thud not far from us. It was a fae man. He tried to get up from the floor, but couldn't quite manage it. He fell back down, bloody and bruised, and didn't get back up. I was relieved to see he was still breathing.

“What's going on?“ Takashi snapped. “Last time I was here, your king didn't take well to brawls in his reception area.”

“Hadn't you heard? “ Zeru asked with the glee of someone about to share juicy gossip. “A young handsome werewolf was allowed to the hollow by his alpha. I heard there are some special conditions. And no one is allowed to take him as a pet.” The blond sounded wistful, as though not being able to claim another person like that was such a shame. Riley and I glared at him as he continued talking. “No one forbid having a bit of a match with him, though. It's been awhile since we had any pups to play around with. I imagine some got a bit overeager. I know we aren't allowed to permanently damage or kill him. I believe the King hopes that if this visit goes well the alpha might let more of his people come play at court. Everyone has missed playing with the werewolves.” Zeru looked up at another man sent flying. “Goodness, there goes another one. I hope I get to meet this feisty wolf.”

“Guy?“ I said softly, grabbing Takashi's arm.

“I'll find out.” He patted my hand and looked to Riley and Zeru. “Watch over Mick. I'll be back in a moment.”

Riley nodded and Zeru gave a little half bow. Zeru shooed me away from the crowd and closer to the wall where he could defend more easily. Riley hugged me and looked in the direction where Takashi had shoved through the crowd. It felt like an eternity we waited. The people continued watching with cheering vigor as I wrung my hands. Then the tone of the crowd shifted. There was surprise and general approval of something. I covered my ears, not wanting to hear the sounds of fighting or the bloodthirsty crowd anymore. It may have been childish, but I didn't give a fuck. I'd had enough. I kept my eyes on the floor and refused to look or listen.

Consequently, I missed the end of the fight. Riley told me later the people watching really got worked up, shouting and stomping their feet. It rose to a crescendo and then it was over. The crowd broke into conversing groups, some collecting winnings on bets placed.

Riley tugged on my arm and I looked up to see the crowd parting to reveal Takashi looking just as crisp and put together as before and Guy appearing as though someone had pulled him through a bramble patch backwards. He was scratched up, his clothes ripped, and his hair a mess. Riley and Zeru held me back from running to them. When Guy was standing in front of me I threw myself on him, forgetting that he'd just been brawling and I might hurt him. He didn't seem to mind, though, hugging me tight.

“Mick,” he sighed. “Thank god. Are you alright? “

“Me?“ I asked, incredulous. “What about you? What are you doing here, fighting? “

“I couldn't leave you here, not knowing…” Guy rested his forehead to mine. “I petitioned the alpha to let me come. He finally agreed after a country mile of negotiations with the Unseelie. I convinced him it was better to open up relations in a controlled manner than to have the court start kidnapping us again.”

I pushed up into my toes and kissed him. He came for me, risking ending up as someone's pet. He fought a bunch of fae and won. He argued with his alpha. He'd risked everything.

For me.

Guy grabbed my ass and used his grip to pull me up and against him. My feet hung in the air, but I could reach his lips better. I hummed in approval and attacked his lips, wrapping my legs around his trim waist. I felt the hard planes of his muscles under me. He held me up as I kissed him, moaning as I couldn't resist rubbing myself against his body.

I was brought back to myself with the sound of someone repeatedly clearing their throat. I looked up to find the entire room staring at us. I paled as I realized half the court had been watching me practically humping Guy, and they seemed to be enjoying the show. Quite a few of the men were rubbing their arousals through their clothes. I even saw one who was watching us while he thrust into the mouth of another fae on his knees. Ew. I burned with embarrassment and hid my face in Guy's warm neck.

“The King was not aware that the wolf pup and the Sifter were so well acquainted.”

I looked back to see a tall slender fae woman watching us with amusement. Her skin was a dark pewter, certainly not the strangest skin color in the room, but not what I was used to. Her hair was a deep gray, falling in shining waves down her back. It was at least as long as Takashi’s, which was impressive. Brushing had to be a pain in the ass. I let myself slide down Guy's body and faced her, cheeks burning.

“I… well…” I stammered.

“The King is ready to see you.” Her sharp eyes moved over us. “Do you wish the wolf to join you?”

“Yes… please.” I gripped Guy's hand and he squeezed back.

“Very well.” She nodded regally. “Follow me. We'll give you a few moments to allow him to freshen up.”

The crowd parted for her with respect and we followed quickly behind. Her dress seemed to be touched by a teasing wind, catching around her slender calves before flowing out behind her. I wasn’t normally into women, but she was breathtaking, with an enthralling aura around her.

“Who's she?” I whispered to Takashi.

“The King's consort,” he responded. “The mother of his heirs and the protector of the throne. That she’s come to escort us personally will send a powerful message.”

“What kind of message?” I wondered out loud.

“That no one but our King may toy with you until you fall from favor,” came the consort’s smooth answer.

I couldn’t decide if that was a good thing or not. Not being messed with by the court sounded good. Being a toy of a King sounded intimidating, though. Worry pinched my stomach.

The consort led us to a suite of rooms and left us there to sort Guy out.

“You shouldn't be here,” Takashi said plainly the moment the door was shut.

“Screw you,” Guy snapped as he yanked off his tattered shirt and looked for the bathroom. “It’s been a week and I haven’t heard a damn thing from you. I wasn’t going to sit around twiddling my thumbs not knowing if Mick was okay.”

“Wait, a week?” I stammered. “We’ve only been here a couple days…”

Guy stepped close and cupped my face in his palms. “It’s been eight days, over a week, since they brought you here.” His thumbs traced my cheekbones. “I started petitioning my alpha after the first day. I couldn’t stand it. All I could see when I closed my eyes was you, when I found you in your car…” He closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around me. “God, Mick… When I hadn’t heard anything, I thought the worst.” His eyes found Takashi and glared. “I had to come.”

“How long did I sleep?” I asked, distressed.

“Fourteen or fifteen hours,” Riley answered. “But that doesn’t mean much...”

I turned in Guy’s arms, since he wasn’t letting go of me, to look at Riley in annoyed confusion. I was confused a lot lately. I was about damn sick of it.

“Maybe it’s different here, but in the Seelie hollow time can run differently inside and outside.” Riley shrugged as though to say, what can you do?

“It’s the same here.” Zeru said like it was obvious.

“And who the hell is he?” Guy demanded.

“Someone who should be outside the door, guarding it.” Riley’s eyes narrowed.

Zeru looked like someone just kicked his kitten. “I’ll just… go guard the door…”

The puppy-dog eyes were less effective on me when the irises were that odd red-wine color. Either Riley was more tough against sad-eyes or he thought the same thing. He crossed his arms and waited for Zeru to leave. I couldn’t hear what the redheaded fae muttered when the door clicked shut. The tone wasn’t complimentary.

“We don’t have time to talk about the physics of focused time distortion,” Takashi said with a shake of his head. “If Guy is coming with us to see the King, he needs to get cleaned up and dressed quickly.”

Guy was still wrapped around me. I didn’t mind the clinginess. If I was honest, which I sometimes tried to be, I liked it. When I was in trouble, I called him. He came. He rushed me to the one he thought could help me, even if he saw Takashi as a rival. After I left, he worried enough to petition his alpha to come to the Unseelie Court, a forbidden and dangerous place for werewolves. When he got to the dark hollow, he fought more than one fae and won. He found me. It left me feeling more than a few warm fuzzies toward him.

Guy gave me one last squeeze and let me go. I let out a heavy sigh as he disappeared into the bathroom.

“Damn,” Riley said with a sigh. “Am I the only one who thought Guy tossing people around was hot?”

“Nope,” I said, popping the ‘p’.

“I agree,” Takashi admitted with a smile.

“Who wants in Guy’s pants?” I asked, raising my hand. Takashi’s and Riley’s hands went up.

“I can hear you!” came Guy’s voice from behind the bathroom door.

Riley covered his mouth and giggled.

“We haven’t prepared you to see the King,” Takashi said with a sigh.

“More than making me pretty?” I asked.

“You're always pretty, but yes. Much more,” Takashi replied.

“Give me the short-short version?” I asked.

Takashi thought for a moment. “Alright, and since Guy can hear us so well, I won’t have to repeat myself.”

I heard something that sounded like, “Goddamned cat.” But the door muffled it, so I couldn’t tell for sure.

“Riley’s had to meet the Seelie royalty before,” Takashi said, ignoring Guy’s comment. Riley nodded. “So, I’d suggest you follow our lead. Zeru is in the guard, so he will have different protocol.” Takashi gave me a smooth low bow, then straightened. “Bow at least that low when we are before him. Don’t stand until he releases us.” Takashi bit his lower lip, thinking, before he continued. “Be very respectful.” He met my eyes. “Try not to swear or say anything that could be taken as a challenge or a threat.”

“Hey,” I protested. “I can behave.”

Takashi raised an eyebrow, but didn’t argue with me.

“If you can, let me do the talking,” Takashi told me. “We have to convince him to offer you the protection of the Dark Court. The King is intrigued with you, but that won’t be enough. I don’t know what he’ll want from you, but he’ll want something.” Takashi rubbed the back of his neck. “Tch, if he even entertains your request. However, if he does consider it, you can negotiate terms. Don’t agree to anything immediately. He’ll try to make the best deal for himself with the least loss to himself.”

“That the healer attacked Mick is something in our favor, isn’t it?” Riley asked.

Takashi nodded.

“How the fuck does that help us?” I was baffled… again.

“The King’s healer violated the agreement we made before we came. We were offered safe passage, at least until we had a chance to plead our case to the King,” Riley explained. “His failure to control his people to his will and desires is something we can use if he tries to push too far.”

“We'll enter this with him owing us a boon,” Takashi added.

I nodded like I understood.

“Guy will need clothes,” I said, changing the subject. “His are all torn up.”

“I'm sure we can find something.” Takashi sighed. “I'll ask Zeru. Put him to some use.”

Riley frowned, walking over to a little table I hadn't noticed. He held up carefully folded shirt and pants. When he opened them up, they did look about the right size for Guy. The fabric was a rich brown with shimmering green threads shot through it. I thought the color would go nicely with his hair and bring out the hazel of his eyes.

“Where did those come from?” Takashi asked with a frown. “They weren't there a moment ago.”

“Just like Mick’s clothes weren't in the drawer before we opened it? “ Riley asked. “There's even a towel.”

“We must have just not noticed them,” I offered, though the others looked skeptical. I heard the water in the bathroom turn off. “I'll just take these to him,” I said, taking the bundle from Riley’s arms. “Be right back.”

The room was steamy when I opened the door. Guy was wringing out his hair just inside the shower tiles.

“I umm, I brought you a towel and clothes,” I offered lamely.

“Thank you,” he said, taking the towel first and wiping down his tanned body.

I followed the movement with my eyes, suddenly ridiculously jealous of a towel. I set down the clothes, feeling like I should leave, but not wanting to. Some irrational part of me felt that if I didn't stay close to Guy he might disappear.

“I'm sorry,” I blurted, looking down as he dried his hair.

“What on earth could you possibly have to be sorry for? “ he asked in confusion, pausing his motions.

“You got pulled into all of this. Now you're here and it's dangerous for you.” I couldn't seem to stop my words. “And before that, I pushed you away, always.” I couldn't meet his eyes. “But you still came for me when I called.”

“Of course I came,” Guy dropped the towel and drew close to me. “I love you.”

My heart squeezed painfully.

“But Takashi… and Riley…” I snugged my arms around my middle. “You don't want to share me. It's not fair of me…”

He wrapped his strong arms around me, still a little damp from the shower.

“I've had time to think,” Guy said softly. “And I've talked to some other wolves that are in relationships with fae.” He sighed softly. “Multiple partners is the norm for fae. Especially for fae not living with a court. They get something they biologically need from sex. Away from court, having more than one partner helps them, keeps them healthy and happy.” He kissed the top of my head. “I want health and happiness for you.”

I pulled back slightly in his arms. “I don't understand.”

“I'm saying that I love you and I want what's best for you,” he answered. “If that means sharing you with Riley, Takashi, or whoever else you need, then I can do that.”

“What about you? “ I whispered. “What about your happiness? “

“I'm happy with you.” He tilted my chin up to look into his deep hazel eyes. “I want to try to make this work. If I’m unhappy, then we'll talk about it.” He blushed slightly. “But I must admit I find Riley and even Takashi very attractive. I don't think this is going to be too great a hardship.”

I hugged him tight and fought back the tears that threatened.

“Guy…” I whispered longingly.

“I'll wait to make love to you until you're ready. I'll never pressure you,” he said sincerely.

“What…” I licked my lips. “What if I told you I was ready? “

Guy's eyes widened and I suddenly felt something hard poking my stomach.

“Are you sure?”

I nodded eagerly. “I don't know why I wouldn't let you close… I guess I was afraid. But I want you. I want you to fuck me.”

“Make love.” Guy shook his head.

“That would be new for me,” I admitted.

Guy looked sad as he stroked my cheek. “Then we should definitely try it.” He looked around the bathroom. “Later. No time now to do it right, and you're no quick fling in the bathroom.”

I was, though. Numerous times I'd been an easy quick fuck in a bathroom or back hall, once in an elevator. It warmed something inside me that he didn't see me like that.

I grinned wickedly. “Well, we may not have time for that…” I slid to my knees at his feet, eye level with his full erection.

“What are you doing? “ Guy choked out.

“I can't let you go before the King in this state.” I stroked his muscled thighs with my hands. “It might send the wrong message.”

“You don't have to do that, I ooh…”

His words cut off as I sucked him into my mouth. I knew we didn't have a lot of time, so I worked fast. I drew him deep and hollowed my cheeks as I laved my tongue against his heat. He throbbed in my mouth and I delighted in the groans he tried to hold back.

I bobbed my head faster, sucking and licking eagerly. I found a comfortable rhythm. One hand fondled and squeezed his balls while the other stroked his cock where my mouth had trouble reaching. I moaned happily as I felt his body tense.

“Mick…” he begged.

I made a happy noise and worked faster. His fingers tangled in my hair as he grunted out his orgasm, shooting into my throat and mouth. I sucked and swallowed, then licked him clean as he shuddered. I pulled off with a happy grin, licking my lips.

“Damn, baby,” he panted.

I couldn't help but look smug as he pulled me into a kiss. I was just getting into it when a knock came at the door.

“I'm sorry to break up the reunion,” I heard Riley say with amusement. “But a King is kind of waiting for us.”

“King. Right.” Guy drew a hand through his hair. Clothes are probably a requirement for that,” he sighed, reluctantly pulling away from me.

He dressed quickly. I was surprised to see the clothes fit him perfectly, like they were tailored for him. He looked strong, beautiful, and imposing. He brushed his hair quickly and left it to dry on its own. It would have to do.

Wet hair or not, he looked stunning.

We rejoined Takashi and Riley, who both looked far too amused for my liking. Without saying anything, we headed for the door.

It was time to meet the King.


 

 





 

Copyright © 2017 Rambling Robin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yay!
I loved the story, it's really great you're getting back onto it.
I'm very curious about his bracelet

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh, this was an update I've longed for! And no disappointment! Our quartet (?) is complete again and ready to face the king. Or as ready as they'll ever be I guess. Seems to me someone is more than a little interested in our gang. They should have a lit if bargaining power.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh yes, the memories of Gross Anatomy class. The clothes I worn never came back into my house. Totally fascinating though. Great to see a new chapter from you. YEAH!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow Guy grew up and he is suddenly aware of what Mick needs. :D I totally :rofl: at the vote about who wanted to get into the sexy werewolf's pants. Of course we all do, and the thought of the four of them having fun makes me 20.gif
I'm rather worried about the lack of instruction about meeting the Unseelie King, but hopefully Mick's ability to sense the thoughts and emotions around him will be useful. Not that he should use it on the King, but maybe he has an advisor or courtiers who are plotting against them. Having the Hollow look out for Mick and those he cares about may also be a distinct advantage.
I still adore Takashi as giant (scary) kitten, and I think Riley might have fun stringing Zeru along. I hope you'll be able to continue this story soon.

Link to comment
On 08/28/2016 04:22 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Glad to have you return. Nice work here, and I'm so glad that Guy is back with the boys. :)

Thank you! Guy couldn't stand to stay away! Poor Guy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/28/2016 08:23 PM, Ang3l said:

Yay!

I loved the story, it's really great you're getting back onto it.

I'm very curious about his bracelet

Thank you! We'll find out more about that little present from the Hollow in a few chapters. I hope you like it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/29/2016 04:20 AM, Puppilull said:

Oh, this was an update I've longed for! And no disappointment! Our quartet (?) is complete again and ready to face the king. Or as ready as they'll ever be I guess. Seems to me someone is more than a little interested in our gang. They should have a lit if bargaining power.

How did I not see this review?!

Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoy it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/04/2016 07:58 AM, dawn said:

Oh yes, the memories of Gross Anatomy class. The clothes I worn never came back into my house. Totally fascinating though. Great to see a new chapter from you. YEAH!!!

YES! The smell is unforgettable! I swear I'm using this story as a little therapy to talk about cadaver dissection. There's so much material there. Like ice cream buckets stacked up fill with pink fluid and a brain in each one. Or bisecting a head with a hacksaw. I hated stripping veins the most though. Blargh. I had a pair of pants and shoes that were just for that class and I threw them away at the end of the semester. *shudder*

I'm sorry I didn't see your review earlier! I'll have to see if my settings got changed for notifications. I hope you like the new chapter! xoxo Robin

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/26/2016 08:59 AM, Timothy M. said:

Wow Guy grew up and he is suddenly aware of what Mick needs. :D I totally :rofl: at the vote about who wanted to get into the sexy werewolf's pants. Of course we all do, and the thought of the four of them having fun makes me 20.gif

I'm rather worried about the lack of instruction about meeting the Unseelie King, but hopefully Mick's ability to sense the thoughts and emotions around him will be useful. Not that he should use it on the King, but maybe he has an advisor or courtiers who are plotting against them. Having the Hollow look out for Mick and those he cares about may also be a distinct advantage.

I still adore Takashi as giant (scary) kitten, and I think Riley might have fun stringing Zeru along. I hope you'll be able to continue this story soon.

Who DOESN'T want in Guy's pants?! I would eat him up with a spoon! And yeah, Mick could have used a LOT more prep before meeting the king. >.< And the Hollow will definitely be looking out for Mick in her odd way. It's hard to know when she's paying attention.

I want to take a nap on giant kitty Takashi. Just wallow in the warm fuzzies. And Riley is going to have great fun torturing poor Zeru.

I'm sorry I didn't see this review when you posted it! Thank you so much for your kind reviews. They mean a lot to me. xoxo Robin

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am so hoping for all four of them ending up in bed together for hot stuff...  I love this story... Thank you SO much ❤️

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..