Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,015 Words
  • 1,803 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 11. Something Riding Up

The trail gave way to forested valley nestled in between the peaks. We stopped by a trickling creek for a mid-day meal and rest.. An old, dead, fire pit marked the spot. It looked as thought it had not seen use in ages. The horses grazed. Kjartanei played with the boys. I dozed in the sun.

We mounted up. Crescen rode behind me. He was light, caused no problems, and didn’t talk. Only occasionally did I feel his grasp on my belt to hold on. At times, it was easy to forget he was there at all. Gibbous rode with Machaeon and Thorn rode next to them talking. Joachim and Kjartanei carried on their own conversation. The trail was less visible now, but Machaeon kept us moving forward. The first shadows began to appear when Machaeon led us into a small clearing. We stopped for a break.

“We turn and go that way now.” Machaeon pointed.

“How much father?” Joachim asked.

“Less than an hour. When we get there, remember they do not trust strangers easily. Just let me do the talking, it will be fine.” He pulled at a low limb of a tree. Eventually he snapped off a fair sized branch. He looked at us. “A signal for recognition.” He chuckled briefly and held the branch up straight. “Ready?”

We mounted up again. Crescen tugged on my leg and I pulled him up behind me once more. We turned sharply toward one of the mountains. Shortly, the forest gave way to rock and our ascent began. Every now and again I could see what looked to be a fire in the distance.

At last we came to a clearing of naturally slanted ground. On the other side, wedged between two short peaks was a wooden wall and gate.

Sentries were waiting atop the gates as we approached. I could see their arms glinting in the shafts of light from the sunset and torchlight. I gestured to Thorn to ready his sword. Machaeon caught the action and indicated to stand down.

“It will be fine. They are only being cautious.”

That didn’t make me feel any better and I kept my hand on the butt of my sword as we stopped just before the gates.

“Machaeon?” A man yelled down.

“Captain Doriskos? How is your arm?”

The captain laughed before shouting down. “Quite well thanks to you. Tell me, are there any trappers out in the woods today?”

“None, only weary travelers. You need not go to any trouble.”

“No trouble at all my friend.” The captain’s face disappeared. “Open the gate!”

We rode through the gate slowly. The sentries watched cautiously. Suddenly, the captain appeared in front of us with a few men behind him carrying torches and weapons.

“Good evening gentlemen. Machaeon, a word please. Alone.”

Machaeon jumped down and turned to us. “Stay here. He wants to make sure you are not holding me hostage.” He winked at Gibbous and strode off to meet the Captain.

“I don’t like this,” Kjartanei muttered.

“Neither do I,” Thorn whispered back.

“Do you think we should turn back…” Joachim was cut off by loud laughter coming from the Captain as he approached with Machaeon.

“I apologize for the delay, gentlemen.” He bowed to Gibbous and Crescen who giggled. “I will show you to our guest lodge. The men will look after the horses. Welcome to Stag‘s Pass.”

We slowly got down and gathered around Machaeon and Captain Doriskos.

“I’m sure glad to see you home,” Doriskos said to Machaeon.

“I’m glad to be back. I was worried I would miss it.”

“No, but you were cutting it close. He is anxious to see you.” He put his hand on Machaeon’s shoulder.

“I can take them the rest of the way, you should go home.”

Machaeon looked hopeful. Doriskos turned to the group.

“Mach here is too polite to say it, but he has an important meeting to get to. If you all are fine with it, I will be your guide and you all can meet up with Mach later.”

Again, Machaeon looked hopeful. I frowned.

“You go ahead, Mach,” Thorn said quickly. “You can find us later.”

“Thank you.” Machaeon strode away swiftly before anyone could add anything.

“Don’t worry about him,” Doriskos said pointing at the retreating figure. “Now let’s get you settled in, it feels like rain coming.

We proceeded along the inside of the wall. It took a few moments for me to realize we were walking in between two walls and that we had not been let into the city proper. The only people visible were the sentries. Some watched us with a mixture of caution and curiosity.

“Sorry, I think it is your blue skin,” Doriskos said to Kjartanei. “And your size,“ to Thorn and I. “Well that and you all are new here. And here we are. This is our guest lodge.”

The house was between the walls. I looked at Thorn. Doriskos stopped in front of the large doorway, opened the door, and called inside.

“Hello? Hestian? Hello? Well, this is our, guesthouse, let’s go in, Hestian is our, um, innkeeper. He will be back soon, I’m sure.”

We entered a large room with a newly lit fire in the fireplace.

“Make yourselves comfortable men,” Doriskos said turning to all of us. “And you two… hmm… do you want to play with some of the other boys?”

“Can we?”

Crescen looked up at me and I looked to Thorn.

“Sure you can,” Thorn began. “just make sure you stay inside the gates and be back here for bed alright?”

The boys nodded their heads.

“Follow me. There is a common-house the other cubs play in. I will introduce you.” Doriskos turned back to us. “They will be safe, I promise. As for now, please, you all should stay here. We don’t get many strangers. I need to see what we can do for you. Hestian will not be long.” He ushered the boys out with him.

We stood and stared at each other not knowing what to say.

Joachim broke the silence. “Are we prisoners?”

Thorn and Kjartanei looked at each other in silent communication. I looked back and forth between them.

“No, I don’t think so,” Thorn began. “They are just being cautious of outsiders.”

“Overly cautious,” Kjartanei said.

“Not of Gibbous though,” Joachim added. “Or of Crescen. They are just kids, I guess. Do you think they will be safe?” He looked at me for support. I shrugged.

“I should think so,” said Thorn. “Machaeon seemed to think so in any case. I trust his judgment.” I could tell he was trying to make sure he was believing his own words.

“I guess. What do we do now?”

The door opened quickly and a round man with grey hair shuffled in carrying wood.

“My, My… Good evening. Just getting some more wood for the fire. I’m Hestian.” He set the pile down. “From Greenwater with Machaeon I hear? Well, well…. good you arrived when you did. The storm clouds are gathering. Rain tonight.”

I watched Hestian busy himself in a nervous yet fatherly way around us. Thorn smiled at me.

“Oh, Oh… where are my manners! Let me get out some of our ale, you must be parched after your ride. Food will be coming soon. Have a seat, have a seat.”

We sat all around the room as he opened a cabinet and produced tankards and bottles. He went over to Joachim. He handed the mug to Joachim and began to pour. “Now, Now… who is first then?”

“Joachim.”

“My, My… you appear to be youngest of this group. Good to meet you.” He turned before Joachim could answer quickly grabbing and handing another tankard to Thorn. “And you sir?”

“Thorn. Good to meet you Hestian. How long…”

“My, My…” Hestian interrupted. “You two must be of the same tribe, what with your coloring and all,” he said while handing me mine.

“Yes, we are. That’s Talon. We are from…”

“My, My… look at you!” He handed Kjartanei his. “Such beautiful markings...”

“Kjartanei. Thank you.”

“Now, Now… just where is the food?” Hestian walked quickly to the door and looked out. “Here it comes.” He opened the door wide and a man and a boy came in and laid out a variety of food on the sideboard.

“Yes, Yes… that is it. Good. Now you all eat up. Shoo, shoo…” He pushed at two stragglers. “Now while you eat. I will see that everything is prepared for you. We have a larger communal room with about eight or so beds and, and some private rooms on the other side for those who want…” He looked among us.

“What ever is easiest for you,” Thorn ventured.

“Two more,” I added dryly. Hestian looked befuddled.

“Yes. Doriskos took the boys to play with some of the other children.” Joachim added.

“Yes, yes…”

“We can all sleep together. The communal room will be fine,” Kjartanei said quickly, then looked at me.

“Very good, very good… I will take care of everything. Eat up.” Hestian disappeared through a door on the far side of the fireplace. We sat in silence looking at each other.

“I thought for safety sake, we should stick together…” Kjartanei said cautiously.

“I think it is an excellent idea,” Thorn smiled. “Come on, let’s eat before he comes back in and rushes us.”

Joachim laughed.

~ ~ ~

The boys were sopping wet when Doriskos brought them in. They giggled and looked happy, but tired. Hestian hurried about making them undress, getting them blankets to wrap themselves in, and hanging the clothes to dry.

“They ate already.” Doriskos grinned.

“Yes, Yes… I think they need a good night’s sleep now,” Hestian chided Doriskos.

“Machaeon?” Thorn enquired.

“At his house for the night. He will be about in the morning. Do you gentlemen need anything else before I go?”

“No. We are in good hands.” Thorn nodded at Hestian.

“Glad to hear it. Sleep well. See you all tomorrow.” He made a short bow and left.

“No, No… come you two. Time for bed,” Hestian began to guide Gibbous and Crescen to the bedroom.

“Do we have to?” Gibbous looked at him then us.

“Yes, Yes… growing boys like you need to sleep so you can play all day tomorrow.” Hestian shooed them out.

“Well I guess everything is taken care of then.” Joachim smiled.

“I guess.” Thorn said dryly before yawning.

“My, My… looks like you all could use some rest too,” Hestian said coming back into the room. “Whenever you all are ready, all the beds are waiting.” He looked at us expectantly.

Joachim looked at Kjartanei and made to get up.

“Staying up,” I said flatly.

Hestian looked surprised.

“We will go in soon. No need to look after us. You have done too much already,” Thorn said.

Hestian’s smile returned. “No, No… trouble at all, I will leave you all alone to talk, quietly. Now don’t wake the boys. As for myself, I will be in the first room down the hall. Please, if you need anything let me know. Day or night, day or night…”

Kjartanei and Thorn nodded.

“Good Night, good night… gentlemen.” He scurried through the arch opposite the fireplace and we heard a door shut.

I looked around the room at everyone and waited a few moments. Thorn smiled at me.

“Ok. Now, time for bed.”

Kjartanei grinned broadly.

~ ~ ~

The room was dark when I woke. I could hear soft snores all around me and the gentle patter of rain on the shutters. I had time ’alone’ to think and plan again. Judging from the boys expressions last night, they had been charmed and would be happy to stay here with Machaeon, or would be soon enough. In any case, they would do fine in this place. That only left Joachim and Kjartanei. They would stick around for a while, but they would go home, eventually. Kjartanei would want to go home to his family. Joachim might even go with him.

Thorn.

Thorn and I.

Where would we go from here? Someplace safe and peaceful. There was still much to explore. We could continue through the mountains. We would find somewhere to hang up our hard armor for good. A place with no wars, no conflicts, only peace and each other. I rolled my head to see him lying across from me on his bed, asleep. I smiled while watching him quietly in the darkness. Soon we could be together and alone.

But not today.

I quietly got up, found the door, and made my way into the main room. The fire was already up. Kjartanei sat in front of it with his eyes closed in a pose of meditation. I shut the door quietly and silently moved in the direction of the outer door. My hand made it to the handle.

“It’s locked.” I heard a quiet voice say. I turned to see Kjartanei roll his eyes open. “I guess they did not want to have us wandering around the town.” He frowned. “I heard Hestian talking to someone outside about breakfast.”

I nodded and changed direction to the little room with the hole in the floor. While in there, I could not help but think this would have been more comfortable behind a tree somewhere else.

I heard multiple voices as I came to the main room. Sitting comfortably in front of the fire were Doriskos and Kjartanei. Hestian was handing them cups.

“Try it. It’s brewed from the bark of a tree we have around here.” I could see Doriskos prompting Kjartanei. He took a sip and curled his lip.

“My, My… let us get you some honey.” Hestian almost bumped into me as he scurried out. “Oh, you are up. I will get you some too.” He left before I could decline.

“Good Morning,” Doriskos said cheerfully.

I nodded.

“Machaeon?” Kjartanei asked.

“He will be round soon. It is good to have him home.”

“Yes, Yes… it is,” Hestian interjected. He shoved a mug in my hand and pushed over to Kjartanei and poured honey into his cup. “It is good to have him back.” He turned to me and began putting honey in my drink.

“Our other physician is not back yet,” Doriskos said quietly.

“Yes, Yes… running late perhaps.” Hestian offered without conviction. Kjartanei frowned. The boys scurried into the room. “Good morning. We have some hot broth for two growing boys like you.” He led them to the side board.

“So what are your plans then?” Doriskos asked looking back and forth between us.

“Well, we had planned on some hunting then eventually returning home with some gold in our pockets.” Kjartanei sipped from his mug.

“How is the game in this valley?” He set his drink down and away from himself.

“Depends what you are looking for.“ Doriskos shrugged. “Between here and Greenwater is safe enough, the other way… well… I wouldn‘t tempt fate.”

I looked up sharply.

“Trouble?” Kjartanei frowned.

“About a week ago, a skirmish with the village that way. Our own scouts have seen their spies in the forest, above the river. They usually don‘t cross it.“

“Now, Now… we mustn’t frighten the little ones,” Hestian frowned.

Joachim and Thorn came into the room.

“My, my… everyone is up!” Hestain scrambled for more mugs.

“Good morning,” Thorn said brightly.

“What’s going on?” Joachim asked.

“We were just talking about your plans,” Doriskos said.

“What are they?” Joachim grinned.

“Hunting,” Kjartanei chuckled.

“What about the town? What is there to do in Stag’s Pass anyway?” Joachim asked.

Doriskos and Hestian exchanged looks.

“There is not much to see,” Doriskos said cautiously. “In any case…” He breathed out slowly. “We don’t have permission yet to take you into town.”

“What?” Thorn and Joachim coughed in unison.

“My, My… well, don’t worry.” Hestian put his hand on Thorn’s shoulder.

“We have to be cautious you see,” Doriskos started, “We have to get permission from a few members of council. I expect that is where Machaeon is now. With all the tension with our neighbors, they are not allowing strangers through the inner gates right now.”

Kjartanei and I exchanged frowns.

“What about us?” Gibbous looked up from behind Hestian.

“You boys can play with the other boys again if you want. Grown-up rules don’t apply to you.” Gibbous and Crescen smiled at each other, pleased with their good fortune.

“My, My… You are so good with children Doriskos. You need to have one soon.” Hesitan smiled at him.

Doriskos blushed slightly and looked between Joachim and Kjartanei before he tried to talk his way away from the subject. “Back when I was a kid, we all used to swim in the cave. It’s safe. It is inside the gates,” Doriskos said.

“My, My… I remember the good times I had up in the cave. Why that is where I first…” He looked at us and visibly reddened.

Doriskos chuckled politely. “As for everyone else, you can do what ever you like around here. You are welcome inside the outer gates.”

“I had been hoping to get some more training with Machaeon.” Thorn looked at me. I nodded.

“We could try our luck with hunting in the area for a while,” Kjartanei ventured. I nodded again.

“Maybe we could make a stop back in Greenwater too. I want to hit Bartholomew’s again.” Joachim grinned widely.

“Barth’s place? Pretty rough lately. Still…” Doriskos grinned. “I have had some of my best hangovers after a night there.”

“My, My… to be young again.” Hestian put his hands on his hips. “I remember my old Froenick, the times we had in Greenwater…”

Doriskos rolled his eyes. Joachim smiled, Thorn and Kjartanei joined in with grins.

“Oh, Oh… stop it. I am not that old!” Hestian chuckled. “I have a few scars from a good ole fashioned barfight. What fun! What fun!”

Joachim and Doriskos laughed out loud.

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..