Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,901 Words
  • 1,253 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 25. Seeing Red

At first light, on the second morning after the camp rebellion we were on the way. The wounded rode so some pulled wagons. The able bodied wore weapons and every scrap of armor available.

"What do we do with him?" Foal asked me.

"Who?" I continued to walk setting an even pace.

"Hay." Hoof thumbed over his shoulder at our prisoner walking with his hands tied once again. "We can’t pronounce his real name properly, so that is what we have been calling him."

I shrugged.

"He can’t go back to them. They will kill him for being a traitor," Foal said as a matter of fact.

"If we take him with..." Hoof began, "they won’t listen to us, they will kill him on sight when we get to the city."

"If we let him go…" Foal continued over Hoof, "…he would probably starve to death in the wilderness."

They were both right. Dead, either way. Barely a chance, either way. It had plagued my mind over the last hours as well. What to do with him? He had been not entirely un-useful. He did warn us to leave fast, but I had guessed as much. He did not appear to know the lands all that well. Still, he appeared to be kind and after the initial division when he was captured, most seemed to have accepted him into our company if begrudgingly. Not enough would stand by him to make a difference once back to civilization, technically he was the enemy.

I glanced again over my shoulder. Hay looked up and I caught his eye. The deep bruises on his arms were still welted up. The cuts on his face were scabbing. There was a quick smile before he stopped himself. His eyes dropped to the ground. He had not fought hard enough to show he cared about going back to his home. A quick and merciful death might be the best. Better than the torture and execution to come in the city. Better than a wandering, prolonged death in the wilderness starving or being picked off by raiders or animals while trying to find his way home. Better than barely surviving trying to get home to what could be a traitor or deserter’s execution. Even if they didn't kill him, what kind of life had he had being a half-breed. I wondered if his tribe was any kinder than ours would have been.

We stopped to bury a few more who had died on the way. By the time we had finished, the sun was just beginning to set so we decided to stop for the night. We would be able to reach the city early tomorrow.

It was warm and we only lit a few small fires for cooking. We were able to rest from the day’s events. I sat alone far from the firelight. The decision would have to be made tonight. Hay would have to choose the manner of his death, it was the only way. My hand tightened on my sword. I could do it if he wanted. This would have to be done, now.

I stood slowly and walked over to Foal who was seated with a few of the survivors.

"Find Hoof. Bring Hay." I pointed to a small rise across the field. "Behind. Before sundown." He looked into my eyes and his went wide. I turned before I could be drawn into a discussion and walked slowly across the pasture.

I could just see our camp over the crest of the short rise. The sunset was warm on my back. Three figures softly emerged from the scarlet haze of sunset and shadow cast by the earth. Foal and Hoof walked with Hay between them. He was not bound and showed no outward expression.

"What is going on?" Hoof asked.

I nodded to Hay with my hand on my weapon.

"You’re not going to…" he looked at my sword. Hay’s eyes became glazed saucers.

I shrugged. "Up to him."

Foal looked uncomfortable. Hay looked down, in prayer or thought.

"City is death. Wild is death. Sword is quick."

I think all of us were looking around and down uncomfortably.

"Where he could go?" Hoof asked quietly.

I had been thinking about that all day. A few places had come to mind, none very close.

"With no map or directions," sighed Foal.

"Where?" Hoof whispered.

"Deep Channel, two days." It was the closest option of all, if it were still there; it was a small fishing village. With luck he could steal a boat and escape out onto the sea. Hopefully, he could find a friendly port or village for the rest of the way. A lot of guesses, a lot of effort that would most likely end in a random death.

"Or the Ramparts." The Ramparts were a more complicated choice. If we still controlled them, it would be hard to get through. If they controlled them, the possible same possibilities of execution remained. Routes going any other direction would take longer. More space and time to get lost and die in the middle of nowhere

All three stood silent. I looked between them and at Hay. He finally looked up at me, his eyes glistened. He understood his choices were no choices at all.

"There has to be another way," Foal said softly.

I shrugged and pulled my sword out fully. Hay bowed his head. I nodded. He crouched down into a kneeling position.

"There is," Hoof said quickly. We all looked at him. "I could take him. I can find the way."

Hay looked at him near to tears.

"You would do that?" Foal examined his face closely.

Hoof nodded. "He was good to a lot of us. Besides what is there for me in the city?"

Foal’s brows went down, I tried to spell it out for him. "Mixed race." Until now, I had tried not to think of Hoof’s lot in life. He was barely accepted, even by me.

Hoof hung his head. Hay put his hand on his shoulder. The two half-breeds, they only had each other.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

I sheathed my weapon thinking about how this would be a horrible mistake.

"You are going to need food, water." Foal turned to me. I gestured back to the camp. They began to turn to cross back to the camp in the darkening shadows.

"Start from here," I said. Hoof nodded before he followed the others.

I sat down slowly. We were close enough to Wild Crossing. I began to pull off my armor. The heat from the day would keep me warm. They could use it more than I. I strummed my purse. A few less coins would not hurt me either. There were more drops elsewhere if needed.

The sun was down before they returned. The starlight provided some light but also a lot of cover for them to begin their journey.

I handed over my gear.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded.

Once they suited up, they turned to us.

"Good Luck," I said and handed over a few coins.

"Thank you." Hoof smiled.

After shaking hands with Foal, they moved slowly off into the darkness.

~ ~ ~

The pink rays of sun signaled the sunrise and the beginning of the end of the journey. Very few questions were asked about us being short a few travelers. It seemed as if others also left us to begin their own journeys home. Foolish, very foolish. I let Foal answer the ones who asked about Hoof and Hay.

When we finally came over the ridge and looked across to the city and surrounding farms, I was relieved. Foal at my side, smiled at the sight.

"Thank Father!"

Wild Crossing looked different. It was no longer a wooden fort set slightly above the plains. It looked expanded and more fortified. The fortress now spilled out over the hills onto the rusty dirt of the flatlands. A new outer palisade wall with spear lined trench enclosed not only the original city grounds, but from my vantage point, almost doubled the original size.

We trudged on, but with a faster step. Our group moved at a happier pace towards safety and shelter. There was no need now to be organized or stay together and I was happy for it. I put my hand on Foal’s arm.

"What?"

I held him and slowed us down. Others were passing us.

"Them first."

He looked around behind us. "Guard the rear. Right."

Guarding their back was a great excuse, one that I had used many times before. Time alone. Time to let others do what they needed. Time to be able to quietly slip in or out without being seen.

It was not too long before we where alone. We let the distance increase, it was not hard to do.

"Do you think they will really be alright?" Foal looked over his shoulder.

"Maybe." Hopefully, with some luck. Always luck.

He turned and studied me. "Would you have really done it?" His brows drew up, he really did want to know.

I met his eye.

"Kill him?" He whispered.

I shrugged. Some things just had to be done.

We walked along in silence. The happy voices were in the distance. No farmers came to us. Only a few were in the fields. The first prisoners were crossing into the open gates.

As I had thought, by the time we made it to the city, we were barely noticed. Before long we mixed into the resident population.

After locating a place for the night, we agreed to run our own errands. Foal went off to find transport, I went to find the market for supplies.

On my way I passed a place of worship built within the new walls. I ducked my head under the arch. People wandered in silence or knelt and prayed on the ground. I could not see the inner court but felt I should visit. I proceeded in slowly. No one gave any notice. I followed a small wooden hallway to the inner yard open to the sky.

I was disappointed.

The Earth Father was there, but he was a stiff totem of wood. He was cold and lifeless. The bright crimson flowers at his feet did nothing to make him colorful. The carving was good and yet incomplete. A pale copy of power and omnipotence. I proceed to cross in to see him up close.

A woman to the side clicked her tongue at me and pointed at my shoes. I nodded and removed them. When I caught her face, there was a slight nod. Others were knelt at his feet.

He stood tall, straight, ridged, at attention. He stood as any regular man would stand, not as the Father of us. The face showed hollow, eyeless rubies in their sockets. No expression of love or hate. No outward sense. Nothing.

I knelt, closed my eyes, and pushed my hands into the soil. I was not praying to this replica of our Earth Father, but to Him within the earth itself.

I opened my heart as I was taught to do and felt nothing. I was terrified. What had I done? Where was he?

I began to sweat. I dug my hand deeper into the soil.

Suddenly, I felt it. The warmth. The love. I felt him touch me back. I felt ashamed of my doubt. I had felt his promise back in Arrowpoint. He would never let me down. My heart calmed.

I could no longer hear anyone around me. I was alone with Him. Minutes passed and I felt at peace and contented.

There was a sudden change underneath my hand. It became colder, harder, as if it wanted me to push me back. I was confused. I suddenly could hear others again. I felt my hand jump as if pushed out of the ground. I opened my eyes and could see across, next to the totem, a woman. She was in the garments of a misfortunate, a desperate, making her money though pleasure.

Her head was bowed. I could not see her face for the long blood-red dyed hair that flowed down over her cheeks. Red, not a prized color among our tribes. She had marked herself deliberately to be seen for her trade. She appeared to pray sincerely and with most urgency.

My prayers had ended. My hands were on top of the cold, hard ground once more. I looked around some people were in prayer, but some were clearly uncomfortable with the red haired woman being there.

I chanced another look at her. There was something there, I could not put my finger on it. I heard a low clicking of the tongue. The old lady looked at me with disapproval. I realized she probably thought I was sizing up the whore in a sacred place.

I stood and went to put on my shoes. The harlot walked towards me as I finished. Her face remained partially hidden as she slipped on her sandals. I followed her into the passage. Other people drew away from her.

As she approached the outer yard, the old lady scrambled past me and grabbed her arm.

"Don’t come back here! Slut!"

The red hair fell away from her face as she was pushed and struggled towards the door.

"Wheat?!"

She looked up at me. The other woman released her grip.

It was her.

Her eyes went wide and she whipped around and ran under the arch. I pushed through to chase her.

The woman who had grabbed her stood in the way.

"Tell your little whore to stay out of HIS temple!"

I shoved her roughly and ran out. The flash of red directed my pursuit.

My blood boiled. A common slut! How cloud she?! How far had our family sunk?! And that… bitch judging her that way! This was a mistake! The girl had to be mad.

I chased her down an alley. She knew the city better than me, but I was faster.

I grabbed her arm and was promptly kicked in my most delicate area by someone else. I fell to the ground.

"Leave her alone you pig!" Two more prostitutes stood above me shouting and cursing.

I clasped my groin fighting the pain.

They attempted to kick me again and again in the face and leg.

"Please… let him be…" I heard Wheat say through her tears.

"Come on honey, let’s get you safe." One of them guided her away, head in hands.

The other kicked me in the shin, hard. "Stay away from her or it will be this the next time." He held a puny knife and made a slashing motion at crotch height. She stomped on her foot, turned and strutted away briskly.

I took a few more moments to recover myself. Only defenseless women ever did that. It had been so long since I had had to deal with one that I had forgotten.

As I stood, I heard snickering from a stoop down from me. A man stood there smoking a pipe. I made to pass him on my way out of the alley.

"Bad luck with the whore," he said and chuckled again.

I looked at him and punched him hard in the mouth. He fell back against the passage.

He had no idea.

I crushed his dropped pipe under my heel and stalked out and back into the city towards the sunrise gates.

Before long I got word of a group being organized to head out to Arrowpoint. They would be going below the plains that Foal and I had come from and not through them. Too dangerous they claimed. It would take longer but would be safer. We could wait, it would be fine.

Foal was not as patient.

"We got to get back!" He exclaimed over our meal.

I nodded.

"Who knows what is going on at home?!"

I sighed. Home. Well it was his, their, home. At least they had one, and they were going to be leaving it. The young have no idea.

The next morning we wandered out own ways in the city. I had no idea what Foal would do with himself while we waited. I needed to pursue my own agenda.

It did not take all that long to find out where the dregs of the city congregated for whatever depraved activity suited them. Wild Crossing was still not that big.

Red hair flashed in the doorway, not the one I was looking for.

"Hey Sweetie, you looking?" She pursed her lips.

I nodded.

"How’s this?" She pulled her skit high showing way more than should be shown on an open street. "Or are you looking for something a little more specific?" She smiled sweetly.

"Wheat…"

"Wheat? Is that a woman or do you need to eat?"

"Woman."

She stood and thought. "No girls named Wheat here. Unless that was her old name. I don’t know." She leaned in. "Hey, any of you bitches know a girl named Wheat?"

The were muffled answers.

"Sorry handsome. She could be occupied right now. I don’t know. You sure there is nothing else you might be interested in?" She pulled at the laces in her blouse.

I bowed my head and flipped her a coin.

"If I we see her who should be say is looking for her?"

"Her Uncle."

"Of course you are sweet cheeks." She smiled again and went inside.

I turned and walked away. I felt unclean and wanted to bathe.

~ ~ ~

I felt no cleaner after the bathhouse and not only because of Wheat. The water was not fresh and I suspected not often changed. The market was a challenge as well. There was food, but not all of it looked good.

The weapon smith had more than I had thought he would and I rearmed myself and even found some acceptable soft armor.

I was on my way back to the temple when I heard commotion from down the street. I headed that way with my hand on my short sword.

A herald was up on the edge of a well calling out news, and the news was unbelievable.

The enemy alliance had fractured. At least one territory had withdrawn from the conflict and possibly another. There had always been rumors of division in the enemy camp, as was with our coalition. This time there was actual detail.

The island peoples including those of Kjartanei’s tribe had pulled out of the conflict to the point of ordering troops to return and defend their own homelands. Key strongholds were left un-manned. The enemy was being stretched thin to hold what territories that they had won.

I lost my focus. Where was Kjartanei now? Was he still on the other side of the world. It had been so long ago, he couldn’t be. What had it been? A year? Almost two? He would not have stayed away that long. Not from his family, from his home. I said a quick prayer to the Earth Father to keep him safe.

I shock of scarlet across from me brought me back. It was Wheat. She had not seen me and I leaned behind the nearest man.

She was at the far back of the group. Listening intently as the herald went on reporting skirmishes and some deaths of prominent people.

I slowly edged my way around the square. I did not want to risk her running again. My crotch hurt thinking about it.

The herald was calling out the next caravan to meet at the gates to leave the next morning. I was most of the way around.

She walked away slowly when the messenger jumped down and the detailed questions began. I followed at a distance. She headed to the temple. At the arch, she looked in, changed her mind, and headed towards the brothel.

From down the street, I could see the other whore from earlier speaking with her in the doorway. Then she went in. It took all my patience to wait.

I strolled down to the door and the woman.

"Oh, it’s you!" She giggled. "Change your mind sexy? I wouldn‘t mind taking a tumble with you."

I shook my head.

She pouted. "Well this is it." She ran her hands down her dress. "No Wheat here."

"I saw her. Just now." I pointed in.

"Oh! That would be Sickle." She smiled. "She is free right now. Would you like to see her?"

I nodded, holding back my rage.

"She will be so happy for a customer!" She led me into the parlor. "She does not get very many customers and no repeat business at all to speak of."

She stopped in the middle of the room. "Now you go pay him…" she pointed at an old fat man in the corner eating a bloody piece of meat. "I will send her up to the room as soon as you are done here." She rushed off.

I dropped coins into the man’s hand.

"Now you be good to her." He smiled.

I wanted to punch his red-stained teeth out.

~ ~ ~

One of the girls led me down a corridor to a pelt covered doorway.

She held it aside and gestured for me to go in. "She will be along in just a moment. Make yourself comfortable."

I was alone. Nothing more than a flat-ish stack of fur illumined by a small slit window at the top of the wall. I moved over to stand in the shadows in the corner.

My anger was there, but I had to keep calm. She was a disgrace, a common slut, a shame to our family. I had to be strong enough to handle this. She needed to be controlled. She needed to be done with this life. She needed to be away from here. She is done or she is dead...

There was movement at the door curtain. She came in quietly, dressed to please. I did not want a tour of the specials and I certainly did not want to know how she began the transaction.

As she turned to look for her client, I rushed at her with one hand over her mouth and the other on her throat to keep her a quiet as possible. I pinned her against the wall. She struck out at my groin, but I was prepared from the other day‘s lesson.

"Wheat," I growled.

Her eyes snapped open and she focused on my face. Her body slacked although she kept her hands on my arm. The tears began to pour down her cheeks. I waited. She stopped all struggling but continued to sob.

"Please…" she moaned under my fingers.

I did not know what she was pleading for or where we were supposed to go from here.

I was well within my rights to beat her to into compliance. My brother, her father, would have done the same, if not worse. I sighed inside my head. My brother.

"Reed?"

"What?" She choked out.

"Your Father."

"Dead." Her crying refreshed itself.

I thought as much. Claw had even implied it back in Arrowpoint. I had to get back there too.

I grabbed her arm with my second hand and removed my other from her throat.

"We’re leaving."

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..