Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,993 Words
  • 1,935 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 26. Gate Escape

I had to wait a good while for her to compose herself. By the time she calmed down, I heard footsteps approaching in the hallway.

“Sickle? You all right?” I thought it was the woman from the front door, but I could not be sure. The doorway leathers rippled but did not part.

“Sickle?”

“Yes…” Wheat looked at me. “A little longer…”

“That’s fine dear. Hey you… YOU! If you can’t finish soon you will have to pay extra!” I heard the footsteps recede.

“Let’s go.” I tugged her arm.

“It won’t matter. It’s too late.”

“Later.” I turned her towards the door. She did not resist, but was not enthusiastic either. I shoved her out and down the hallway.

When we got to the main room she dutifully walked towards the outer door. The few girls looked shocked.

“Where the hell do you think you are going?!” The man shouted.

I released her arm and spun on him. I punched him in the face before he could draw a weapon. One girl jumped on my back. I hit her arms with my fists and shoved her into the wall. She released quickly.

“Stop! Stop!” Wheat screamed.

“You’ll pay for this!” the man said from the floor through the blood on his face. He reached out to steady himself with his hand to stand. I crushed it with my boot. He wailed in pain.

“Just go!” Wheat cried. “Before the others get here.”

I grabbed her arm again and marched her out and down the alleyway.

“They will kill you,” she cried.

She was right. I was positive there was at least one whore already following at a distance. I stopped Wheat and smacked her. “How many men?”

“I don’t know,” She cried. ”Four?” She coughed out before continuing to cry. I dragged her forward. We came around the corner and startled several people. They looked at me and Wheat and made their own assumptions. I drew her shawl over her head and its scarlet locks, and pulled her on.

By the time we reached the inn where Foal and I had stayed, she was more compliant. I had had to only smack her that one time en route.

I yanked her through the door.

“Man!” The keeper yelled. “Take it outside.” He pointed at her. “Not in here.”

I few men in the corner looked up.

I marched her out and sat her in the shade to the side, off the street. I pulled the shawl back up over her hair. Her face went blank. I moved to shield her from any stray stares. She would not have noticed. Her face was down.

“We wait.”

I thought I caught sight of one of the other girls past the square.

When Foal finally appeared, he was seemingly not paying attention to anything in particular and completely oblivious. Suddenly, he saw me, smiled and started across. His face drew down when he saw Wheat.

“What are you doing…?” He pointed at her.

She looked up and him with tears in her eyes. Her cheek was lightly bruised where I had slapped her.

“Wheat, my…” I barely was able to say it, “…niece.”

She looked down again.

“Niece?!” He looked her up and down. “Damn shame.”

I shoved him back roughly.

“Sorry,” he said quietly.

“Need to leave.”

He looked up at me surprised. “The traders don’t leave for Arrowpoint for a few days.”

“They will kill you both,” Wheat muttered.

Foal looked between us.

“Get supplies. Now. Don’t be seen. Not with us.” I shoved him back. His mouth dropped open and he staggered away. Hopefully it would look like an argument over the price of the whore.

I led, keeping one hand on Wheat, around the back of the inn. Places like this could be bought, just not publicly.

“Man, I told you…” The keeper was not happy.

I slammed down an extra coins. Again, the looks from the men in the corner. Former-Bullmen. They had abandoned our chief so long ago. Their opinions did not matter now.

He shrugged and grabbed the money. “Just keep it out of sight.”

I knew from the news at the town square, there was a caravan leaving in the morning. We had to get away and out. I couldn’t be sure if the working girl who had followed me had thought Foal was with us. He would have to take his chances and come back later. I closed and locked the door behind us.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Are you alright?” Foal was turned to Wheat.

“Yes,” she said quietly. The tears had stopped a while ago.

“What’s the plan?” He turned to me.

“Next caravan.”

“Tomorrow?”

I nodded.

“Where is it going?”

I shrugged. We had to leave to wherever it was going and then circle round somehow back to Arrowpoint.

I sat silent and watched Foal try to feed her from his rations. She nibbled at best. She would need to eat more. I was relieved she did not refuse water.

 

~ ~ ~

 

At first light, I woke them both and told them to stay put. I snuck out the side of the inn and onto the street. I had hoped to catch at least one vendor early. None seemed to be about. I passed to the gates. They were still closed but there were two wagons already waiting to leave. Neither had what I was looking for.

I was crossing back to the market through an alley when I was struck in the side and knocked to the ground. Two men stood over me.

“Stealing the little bitch?” One in a hooded cape growled.

The other hit me in my upper leg with his club. The crushing pain jolted out the cobwebs and I rolled back and tried to stand. I was punched in the face by the first man’s grimy fist.

“Nothing to say?” He punched me again and stood looming over me. My hand slid down my side.

“Maybe his ears don’t work,” the man with the club spat

“Maybe he only needs the one.” The one over me pulled a small knife out of the folds of his cloak. My hand had reached its goal.

The questioner punched me in the jaw. “We’ll start with the ear…” He leaned down closer to me. “You won‘t even be able to purchase a slut after we finish with your face.”

He had become very close. I grabbed his hair with one hand and put my dagger against his throat. I looked over his head to man with the club.

At first he did not move, then he stepped back, keeping his weapon ready.

“Are you crazy?” The man under my blade gasped. I nudged him slightly to get him to shut up. A drop of blood hit my knuckle. I slowly rearranged myself to stand and have him in front of me, all the while keeping the dagger to his neck.

“Your cloak,” I growled.

“What the hell?!” He yelled.

“Off. Now.” I nudged him with my second blade next to his face with my other hand. The man with the club watched intently but did not move.

The man struggled but dropped his outer garment to the ground.

“You. Go. Now.” I said to the clubman.

He backed up slowly. I twisted the knife and a few more drops of blood splashed my arm. He dashed off sideways.

“You…” I leaned in. “Girl is mine. Tell your master.” I shoved him away and grazed his face with my blade, a cut only.

He staggered to the other side of the alley holding his cheek. His eyes were open wide. I grabbed his cloak from the ground. His lips changed from shock to a cruel smile.

“Dumb move, ass. For both of you.” He shook his head and stalked away holding his head.

I followed him for a few moments until I got back out in the open, then I raced back to the inn.

I opened the door to our room to a stifled shout. I heard struggles to my side where Wheat had slept and I turned that way.

She was underneath a man struggling. He seemed to be trying to restrain her, but was having a hard time of it. I did not have time to think because I felt the heavy hit on my arm. Light and bloody. I bashed the man in the face with my elbow and pulled my dagger with the other. I heard metal scraping nearby. Foal? I did not chance to look.

My opponent had recovered enough to come back at me, the short, familiar club in one hand, his bloody nose covered by the other. Using a weapon like that, with one hand on his own face, severely unbalanced him. He did not even come close with the second blow. I punched the hand covering his nose again for good measure. He bellowed in pain.

I stabbed his arm with my knife causing him to drop the club. I moved quickly to where I thought Wheat was. The man on top of her convulsed violently.

Foal came into view on the other side. He had a man under him and was beating him in the face with his fists. I heard movement again near me. I turned back and shoved my man down with a kick to his knee. I grabbed his club and bashed him on the head. He was down and out instantly.

There was no movement from Wheat or the man on top of her. I dashed over to Foal and grabbed his arm. The man below him was bloodied and panted heavily.

“Tie his hands. That one too.”

I left Foal to it and crossed to Wheat and heard her sobs from underneath somewhere. I grabbed at the man and meant to throw him back. I grabbed his shoulders and yanked him. He rolled on to the floor. I recognized him. The man in the whorehouse. Blood splashed out of his guts onto the wood. Wheat lay with her eyes clenched shut. Her hands held a bloody knife.

I leaned over her and lightly slapped her cheek. Her eyes opened and she exhaled. She looked at the bloody man sprawled out next to her and began to wipe the knife off on the bed.

“What the hell?!” Foal stood next to me and looked between her and the man.

“We need to go.” I tossed Wheat the cloak from the alley. “Get everything.” I pointed to the men all around us.

 

~ ~ ~

 

We climbed out a window of the inn and joined the caravan as the gates opened. Wheat was fully covered, her red hair and bloody garments hidden. All three of us walked side by side in the middle of the column. We stayed silent for a long time.

“Where are we headed then?” Foal whispered.

I shrugged and pointed at the nearest man on a wagon. Foal walked a little faster to get over to the driver. I didn’t care that much; I was happy just to be out of Wild Crossing. Very soon it became obvious to me by the way we were rounding the city’s side where we were headed: deeper into the plains and farther from Arrowpoint. There still had to be a few old ports along the barren coasts to catch a boat all the way back.

I looked down at Wheat. She did not struggle or complain. She walked solidly. Hopefully she was up for the day long walk. I nudged her with a skin of water. She only shook her head.

“Thank you,” she said quietly.

She would have to drink sooner or later.

Foal stood for a moment for us to catch up.

“We are headed toward Oxenajo. Well where it used to be anyway…” He fell in step on the other side of Wheat.

“That was where Uncle Bark went.” She dropped her head to watch the ground. “Before they burned it down.”

I was afraid to ask, but I had to. “Bark?”

“He didn’t come back.”

Foal shook his head.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The barren plains lived up to their name through the entire morning and well into the afternoon: dry grasses engulfed us, hills and mountains surrounded in the distance, wall seemingly on all sides. Foal had gotten Wheat to drink water a few times and by the afternoon she was hungry enough to nibble at the food I had brought. Foal whispered encouragement now and again even though she did not need it. She did not falter once. She was strong.

Foal dropped back and got more information along the way. Oxenajo had indeed been burned out. Many of the people had fled to the valley and the bluffs that now served as the seat of our chieftain. We were headed to the gates that guarded the entrance to those lands. The gates had held off a number of attacks and was heavily fortified. The enemy had abandoned the idea of taking the pass or the valley for now, but still attacked any attempts to start new settlements in the area.

From the gates, we would be able to journey farther in to the bluffs or toward the waters at the large cliffs further on. The ships passed through that area and, barring any attacks from pirates, we could get back to Arrowpoint easily and much faster than by waiting for groups to walk with. The boat might even stop at Deep Channel. I wondered how Hoof and Hay had done and if they had made it that far.

Before sunset, a company of horsemen from the gates met us on the road to escort us in. It was hardly needed, the trip had been quiet and uneventful, still, I was happy to be safe behind the closed doors of the palisade. Torches were being lit and I could see how an armed town had sprung up on this side of the gates to cater to the defending troops. There was a little of everything for the men and boys who served our people by protecting the entrance to our adopted homeland. With no true conflict on this side of the wall, the supplies flowed back and forth to the valley easily.

Then there were the sounds. To hear our language being spoken by everyone was joyous. Even the rougher dialects like those of the former-Bullmen were music to me. Then I heard the rumblings and openly spoken desires of the men when they looked at Wheat. Her cloak had shifted and her hair was showing again. Women were around for the asking, but the oldest profession would always be anywhere that soldiers were. I pulled her hood back over her head.

“We need to get her off the streets,” Foal whispered.

After a few inquiries, we found the little hovel nestled up on the side of the cliff-face as described. There was always a place like this in the more frequented towns. Foal banged on the door. There were growls and snarls.

“I’m coming,” the voice called. “Quiet you two!”

When the door opened, a kindly woman met us with a smile.

“May I help you gentlemen?”

“Wolfshine?” I tried to sound casual, by her sudden glare, I had failed.

“Who is asking?” She crossed her arms.

“We need your help,” Foal said with more feeling. He gently nudged Wheat forward. “We hoped that you could help,” he revised then pulled Wheat’s hood back revealing her hair.

After a few moments of examining Wheat, she touched her shoulder. “Child, do you wish to leave this life behind?” She curled a lock of Wheat’s hair around to show the scarlet in the light.

Wheat nodded her head.

“What is your name?”

“Sickle.”

“Your family name?”

“Wheat.”

“Well then…” her tone changed it was softer. “Wheat, let’s bring you inside and see what we can do for you now. The road you travel will not be easy and you will be on your own for most of it, but you might start on that path tonight.” She looked at us and more specifically at me. “Are you related?”

“He is her uncle,” Foal explained before I could stop him.

“She must do this willingly, if you are forcing her in any way… well, you might as well forget about seeing her ever again.” She looked me up and down.

“Of course,” Foal added for me.

“And you lover-boy. A little sweet on her are you?” She peered at him and he blushed.

“No, I… back home…”

“It’s alright boy, no need. You both run off. Wheat will be safe with me tonight and we will talk and decide what is best for her.” She took Wheat’s hand and brought her over the threshold completely ignoring us. “Now, if you are ready, we can start with your hair. And don’t mind them, they are well trained.” The door closed without as much as a goodbye.

Foal and I made our way back to the general barracks and hunkered down for the night.

Plans would have to be made. Ones that would send Wheat on to a new life somewhere and Foal to his with Mane and Petal. There were some possibilities, there always were. I needed to see the path clearly, the pattern, to plan.

I woke in the middle of the night to sounds that I knew. To my side, in the single farthest bed, one alone in the corner, two soldiers were together. I could made out the silhouettes in the shadows. They were trying to be quiet about it and for the most part were. I doubted that anyone past me could hear them over the sounds of snores and sleep. I wondered if they were doing the same things that Thorn and I had. I watched and listened for a few moments. They were. Part of me was excited... for them. Part of me was saddened with the memories of the past and the current present.

I rose slowly so as not to startle them, put on my boots, grabbed my bag, and strolled out under the stars.

It was a clear night. A few watch fires were the only light from the ground. I followed past them and out to the edge of the town and the start of the broad fertile valley plains beyond. Somewhere in the distance the bluffs rose and the new seat of our chief and people. I stood to think all alone in the darkness. An occasional wind rustled the tall grasses, but no other sounds called to me. No snores, or talk, or desire.

The grasses moved without the wind. I did not notice it at first in the dark until the stalks parted and a man walked through. He was startled. The moonlight broke through the cloud and into my face. I blinked my eyes a few times and examined him. Just like back at the inn in Wild Crossing. He was an ex-patriot of sorts, from one of the former-Bullman tribes that split from our people decades ago. They begrudgingly honored their commitments to their paternal ancestors and successfully guarded outposts from the alliance of our enemies. He studied me and nodded.

I nodded back. He smiled softly, then broadly, and proceeded past before I could even get a good look at him.

 

~ ~ ~

 

I woke to the sunlight on my face. I yawned and stretched against the barrel that I had fallen asleep next to. I felt rested after the long night; it probably had been a good idea to not return to the bunkroom. I had had time to think and rest. Much of what would happen would depend on this morning. I proceeded back to the barracks. The next shift of sleepers were making their preparations for sleeping. A quick search did not reveal Foal. Probably out looking for food. I needed some too.

He was still not around when I returned from the bake-house. No matter. He would turn up sooner or later. I headed off to Wolfshine’s hovel with the extra bread. The walk seemed different in the light. The rise to the cliff seemed steeper. I heard growls and the snapping of jaws as I turned past the first shack.

I had my sword draw as I ran towards the commotion.

In front of the house was a man flat on his back, two large wolves on chains snapped above him. Wolfshine and Wheat hung in the doorway.

I did not know whether to put my blade to him or the beasts growling above him.

Wolfshine did not appear to be inclined to interfere until Wheat began to shout.

“Stop! He’s harmless!”

I stepped forward and one of the wolves snapped at me. I raised my sword.

“Don’t you dare!” Wolfshine half growled-half yelled.

“He is just a silly man,” Wheat pleaded. “Don’t hurt him.”

I looked down at him. He held no weapons, he was defenseless. The sweat pooled on his brow.

Wolfshine whistled sharply. The beasts turned around and walked to her before resuming an outward defensive position at her feet.

“So say what you have to say then,” she prompted.

“I did.” He slowly stood and faced her but kept a good view of me. “Wheat, please…”

I looked between them all.

“Wheat?” I tried to sound stern like her father might have.

The looked at me. Wheat shook her head. “He thinks he is in love with me.” She paled then flushed.

“I am!” He did not blush. “I love you. I followed you all the way here. Doesn’t that prove it?”

“Well, my dear, there are better ways to go about all this…” Wolfshine pet the head of the wolf closest to her. “Trying to sneak in was not a very good start.” Her expression softened. Her pets at her feet seemed to sense the change and appeared to soften their stance as well.

“What is going on?” I jumped at the whispered question from Foal suddenly beside me.

Wolfshine looked over all of us, the man, Foal, and myself. “That breakfast?” She pointed at the bread.

I nodded.

“Toss it here. They will not attack unless commanded.” I cautiously lobbed it to her. The wolves studied me intently, trying to gauge my intentions. She caught it easily and pulled it away from the nearest one. He licked his chops.

“You three go away. Wheat will not see anyone until the sun is high. Do I make myself clear?” She nudged Wheat back into the house.

Foal and the man nodded.

“Good. Come!” The two wolves abruptly turned tail and trotted into the hovel before she shut the door.

We who remained looked at each other and the door.

Foal broke the silence. “So who are you then anyway?”

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 05/04/2015 08:38 PM, Foster said:
I'm all caught up, good chapter.
Glad to hear you are up to date... problem is... so am I! I have a lot swirling around just not on paper as yet.

 

Question for You Foster (and any other followers) : Are the lengths of the chapters working? Long, short, about right per chapter? Curious is all. Feel free to PM if you like. I would love to read anything you might have to say.

 

Thanks for reading and writing!

GW Randomness

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..