Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,248 Words
  • 2,482 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

To Move Forward - 3. Present in Spirit

The drizzle made the drive brutal. It had been along time since I’d been this way: new on and off ramps confused me, landmarks had disappeared. The rain stopped as I exited the highway. Before I had enough time to collect myself, I pulled into the subdivision and searched for the correct house. I found it easily. Cars packed the driveway and the street. I pulled slowly on to the side road and parked.

I picked up the cowboy hat and presents. By the time I made it to my rear bumper, I changed my mind about wearing it. I carefully removed my hat and put it down on the passenger seat and resolutely walked down to the house.

Adult conversation drifted out the windows. At the front door, I caught Annie running past.

“Oh, hey,” she said surprised. “I was going to Kathy‘s, hang on.” She turned and called through the screen door. “Mom! Dad’s friend Patrick is here.” There was a drop in the chatter from the house.

“Good Luck,” she said before she ran off across the front yard.

A short woman opened the screen door and beckoned me in. The last time I had seen her was in a picture from five years ago.

“Patrick?” She extended her hand. “Nice to meet you. I’m Emily, Darrin‘s mother… Ben‘s ex.” I shook the hand that held his heart for all those years. “I’m happy you could make it.” She led me into the living room filled with people who stared at me in silence, then she showed me where to put my gifts and introduced me to the room at large as Ben’s friend from school. She introduced me to everyone, I could remember Rob‘s name. He was the only other man in the room.

No Ben.

Emily ladled some punch into a cup for me. “We are pretty informal around here, help yourself to anything in the kitchen. Darrin and his friends are running around out back or down by the pool table. Sit down and relax a before catching up with them. Ben and the rest of the boys are downstairs in front of the TV. I was stupid enough to schedule this party on a day the Packers were playing.”

I couldn’t dislike her, she was pleasant. Without any guidance, I stood and sipped my punch willing myself to be smaller. No one engaged me, which was a relief. Rob glanced at me now and then. I wanted to sneak out to the kitchen and look for Ben but I didn’t want to leave by myself; I already looked like a lost puppy.

Without warning, there was a voice from behind me.

“Well, who do we have here?” I turned around to see a man in the doorway.

“Patrick is Ben’s friend, the one Darrin invited from the State Fair,” Emily answered. “Patrick this is Joe, my fiancée.”

“Yes, yes, that’s right. Nice to meet you Patrick.” He shook my hand enthusiastically. “Come on, we’ll get you something better than that.” He nodded at my punch. “Kick-off is in a few minutes.”

My head spun. I was being helped in my escape by my “ex’s” “ex’s” fiancée? Rob watched as I followed Joe into the kitchen.

We passed a few kids playing a board game in the dining room. Joe and I gathered up a few beers and headed down a flight of stairs towards loud laughter from more children.

At the bottom, I kept my neck a slightly bent to keep from hitting my head. The birthday boy saw me immediately and ran over.

“Patrick! See, I told you he’d come!” Darrin grabbed onto me.

“Happy birthday.” I delicately patted his back with the beers in my hand.

“Do you wanna play pool?” He asked expectantly.

“Maybe in a little while ok?”

“Ok.” Then without another thought, he scampered into the group on the other end of the room. I heard the murmurings of “giant” and “huge.”

“More brews and a straggler,” Joe announced. The room went quiet.

“Pat!” Ben got up and crossed to me as Joe moved away. “Hey everyone, this is Patrick.” He took some of the beers and shook my hand. “I’m happy you made it.” He leaned in and whispered. “I was afraid you might not come.”

“Damn, you’re big ain’t you,” said a guy who had the bearing of a bulldog. He studied me intently without blinking his eyes. I looked back at Ben to avoid Greg’s stare.

“Patrick, that’s Greg,” Ben said, pointing to the bulldog. He gestured to the others “Kurt, Mitch, and Drew.” Drew, being the closest, shook my hand on behalf of everybody.

“How was the drive?” Ben asked.

“Shhh,” Greg complained.

Ben rolled his eyes and shrugged then pushed back into his seat. I didn’t want to crowd anyone so I leaned against the wall. I wasn’t sure whether I would have been more comfortable with the kids, or here. Either was better than upstairs with Emily, Rob, and the ladies chatting away. I appreciated the game, even though my team was not playing. It also didn’t hurt that the uniforms hugged their butts.

After kick-off, Ben realized I was still standing and pushed at Kurt to make room for me. He gestured for me to come over which I did, crossing behind Greg. The space was small but with Kurt leaned over the arm a bit and with me seated forward, we made do.

I felt so close to Ben. I wished we could have the sofa to ourselves. Late at night after his parents went to bed, Ben and I would watch a movie in the family room. Sometimes he would lay his head in my lap while I absent-mindedly stroked his hair. I wished I could remember the feel. I hadn’t thought about memorizing the touches at the time. I wish I had.

There was an interception and we cheered. Mitch and Drew high-fived over Joe and Ben slapped me on the back. Although it didn’t surprise me to be touched by Ben, when he left his hand on me, I was confused. I imagined things like always. He rested his hand on me for convenience; the sofa was crowded. No one seemed to notice and I liked it. I didn’t say anything.

Late in the second quarter, a little girl earlier appeared in the doorway.

“Daddy?” she asked cautiously. I glanced around. No one answered.

“Daddy,” she repeated.

“What sweetie?” Greg didn’t take his eyes off the TV.

“Darrin’s mom said it’s time to cut the cake.”

“Couple of minutes, wait, almost halftime.” The girl continued to stand in the doorway staring down. Greg ignored her. I turned my head to Ben who shrugged. Joe stared intently at the TV and tried to block out everything around him, including the request.

Then it hit me.

Since I had arrived, no one had done anything without some type of approval or acknowledgement from Greg. The guys were waiting for halftime, but also for him. He was the alpha and it suddenly irritated me. I’d been quiet and undemonstrative all along to be polite and, in essence, I subjugated myself to Greg, just like the others.

Darrin came up behind the girl. “Can you come up so we can cut the cake? Please…” he asked. Kurt tensed up next to me.

“In a minute, Darrin,” Greg began, “just a minute.” He was definitely irritated.

I turned slightly and saw Ben and Joe peek at each other. Neither made a move. I did. I stood and crossed to the door, this time in front of Greg and without permission.

“Hey, move, move. Where are you going? Only a minute left!”

I stopped to the side of the TV and turned back. Greg stared at me with a confused and frowned expression. What an idiot.

“Well it’s Darrin’s party after all,” I said. Ben’s jaw dropped. Joe grinned and stood up.

I followed Greg’s daughter and Darrin up the stairs followed by Joe, Ben and the others.

We assembled in the dining room. Darrin sat at one end of the table Emily and Joe to one side, Ben, Annie on the other. They were a modern family. Kathy stood next to Annie, the rest of the children all sat around the table, plates at the ready. Adults crammed around behind the kids. I stood at the far end from Darrin and Ben, Rob at one side Kurt on the other. Kathy waved at me.

We sang a hearty Happy Birthday to Darrin, who barely waited until the end to blow out the candles. I could tell there wasn’t going to be enough cake before they even started to cut it. I declined the sliceoffered to me and sipped my beer. Greg on the other hand…

“Halftime should be over, come on guys,” he said as he carried his plate out of the room followed by Drew, Mitch and Kurt. I made no move to follow. Ben glanced at me, I could have sworn he waited on what I would do.

“In a few minutes,” Ben replied.

“When do I get to open my presents?” Darrin asked loud enough for everyone to hear.

“Be polite,” Emily said gently to Darrin, then to Joe and Ben, “Should we wait for them?”

Rob said, “Don’t bother.” He rolled his eyes. “They won’t even notice. I don’t even know why they bothered coming.” He rolled his eyes again. I chuckled.

“Hey, Patrick, could you help me get the gifts?” Ben had crossed to my side opposite Rob.

“Sure.” I nodded to Rob and followed Ben out to the living room.

With a few less people, I was able to get closer to Darrin while he opened his presents. He didn’t need to be reminded to be polite even once. Emily had coached him well. He read who each gift was from and thanked them, if they were in the room. When happy, he reminded me of Ben. The huge smile showed off perfect teeth. The sparkle shined out from even half closed eyes. It was then I realized I no longer saw Darrin, but Ben. Like his son, Ben sparkled.

I was extremely pleased when Darrin opened my gifts. He positively beamed with excitement. Ben turned to me and continued his beautiful grin. He hadn’t steered me wrong. I continued to watch Ben a few more moments before I realized I was staring and looked away, straight at Rob.

Rob slyly grinned at me.

I shifted my gaze again only to fall on Kathy next to him. She carried more of a smirk. I didn’t feel malice, merely amusement. Somehow, I felt caught or exposed. I turned back to Darrin as he finished thanking me.

After Darrin finished opening the presents, we split up in to groups around the house. Joe and Ben went down to catch the rest of the game. I followed down the stairs but turned and instead, played pool with the kids. Rob joined us a short while later. He turned out to be fun and sarcastic, vaguely like Alec. I learned quickly about his family. Rob, Emily and Kurt were siblings. Kathy was Kurt’s daughter, which made him uncle to Annie, Kathy, and Darrin. Rob clearly loved Darrin and the rest of the kids. He played with all of them and made sure to include me in their fun.

At some point, Ben crossed out of the TV room carrying empty beer bottles. I helped Darrin hold the pool cue. Ben saw me and smiled. Rob came up on my other side and nudged my arm to help the aim. Ben’s smile vanished when Rob continued to stand close after the shot was taken.

“Hey Patrick, we need more beer. Do you wanna walk with me to the corner?” Ben inquired. His face was hopeful.

“Sure.” I tried not to show how excited I was. I would finally be alone with Ben for a few moments.

“Need help?” Rob asked quickly. My heart sank.

“No, we got it.” Ben said

“Take over for me,” I said, pleasantly to Rob who took my cue.

I followed Ben up and out the back door to drop the empty bottles into the recycling bin.

“How’s it going? You having a good time?” Ben asked sympathetically.

“Sure, the kids are great. I don’t know what I was expecting. There are so many people.”

“Yeah, well, I didn’t have control of the guest list.” We crossed up the street towards my car.

“Where did you end up parking? I don’t even know what you drive now.” I pointed as we approached my Suburban.

“Cool, “ Ben said as he walked right up and peered into the windows. “Very nice, Pat.”

We continued to walk up to the end of the block while we talked. He asked about how long I planned on staying today. I told him I wanted to play it by ear. I told him that I took tomorrow off and planned to stay at hotel overnight so I didn’t have to run right away. I had even thought about a drive to the old neighborhood.

We purchased some cold beer in the convenience store and one the way back he tugged on my arm, pointed and we sat down on the stoop around the side of the building. He cracked one open and handed it to me.

“Did you have fun at the fair?” Ben asked after a few moments.

“Of course.”

“Me too. I wasn’t sure if you had when you left so quickly,” He said cautiously. I sipped from the can.

“No, I really did. It was fun to catch up and remember the good times,” I said as I handed back the beer.

“Speaking of which,” he said slyly. “I liked it when you called me Enge again.” He took a swig. I had liked it too. “But you never told me what you were thinking about.”

“What?”

“When you got all embarrassed.“

I blushed profusely.

“Oh, now I can’t let it go,” he laughed. I so wanted to tell him outright, but I couldn’t, not yet.

“You didn’t tell me either, I wasn’t the only one who turned red.”

“Fair enough, if I tell you, will you tell me?”

“Of course. You show me yours I‘ll show you mine.”

His eyes widened.

Why on earth did I just say that?!

“There you are!” Rob called over to us. “Joe is searching for you. Fourth quarter’s about to start,” he said as he approached.

“We were just catching up,” Ben murmured.

“And you…” Rob pointed at me, “Darrin said something about you giving him a ride?”

The three of us walked back down to the house while I explained to Rob about “Giant Rides.”

Loud shouts and cheers signaled the end of the game. I looked up at Rob who was loading the dishwasher. He glanced back over his shoulder.

“Well its over, you might be able to spend some time with Ben now.”

I didn’t know how to react, so I didn’t say anything. He turned around, leaned on the counter, and dried his hands as if he were politely waiting for me to respond. He stood there and watched me. Up to this point, he had been jovial and easy going. Right now his expression was completely masked, his thoughts veiled from my understanding. After another moment, he walked over and sat beside me.

“Look, you barely know me, and it’s none of my business but, some advice?” He leaned in closer. Suddenly barely able to breathe.

“If I were you, I would be more cautious.”

 

My eyes widened.

“I’ve seen the way you look at Ben. I didn’t need Annie or Kathy to mention it to me to see it.” He spoke calmly and quietly.

My mouth opened wider.

“Don’t worry, I won’t say anything. Be careful. Nothing personal, but, Emily is my sister, Kurt is our brother. I mean… like… here?”

I’m sure the shock was apparent on my face. Rob suddenly shrugged his shoulders and smiled knowingly.

“No worries. I don’t think anyone would care, but right now it would be awkward for Ben, especially with Joe and Emily’s wedding coming up.”

I was in shock while Rob stood up and gently put his hand on my shoulder. Was I so obvious? Was I the pathetic puppy who followed Ben around? Somehow I had been challenged and told to back off, politely.

The room suddenly filled with people. Some were preparing to leave. I realized I was still sitting down not focused on those around me.

“Patrick said he was headed out soon,” I heard Rob say. I stared up at him and didn’t understand. As with Kathy, I felt no ill will. Maybe he genuinely thought he was helping.

“He said he was going to stay at a hotel tonight and head home tomorrow. Right Pat?” Ben said and turned to me. Rob frowned.

“I wanted to be flexible,” I muttered.

“Well, you should stop by my apartment on your way. Maybe we could catch up more.” Rob’s frown deepened.

I felt a sudden strong desire to not let Rob make it “easier” on me or Ben. Best case he tried to help, worst, he manipulated. I didn’t owe him anything. I would never see him again anyway. Ben was an adult. He could say whatever he wanted to afterwards.

“It might be fun to talk more,” I said calmly. The frown vanished into the same expressionless gaze from earlier.

“Good, when we leave you follow me.” Ben patted me on the back. Rob’s eyes registered a strange mixture of amusement and disbelief.

The party itself was winding down. Ben would stay longer for Darrin and the family, so I settled back and played with the remaining kids and made small talk with the last guests. Kathy and Annie left, but not before a few non-verbal exchanges with Rob. I felt less fear after they left. Rob and I barely spoke the rest of the time. I still didn’t feel any strong negative feelings; I felt a void.

Darrin and I played the video game I had bought him. In my opinion, I think he liked the older style game better and it made me feel good. I had finally done something right. Ben peeked in on us once and grinned.

Finally, Ben told me we could go. I said my goodbyes to Emily and Joe. Darrin waited at the door for me. He thanked me again for the video game and gave me a hug.

Ben and I walked to his car and he gave me general directions to his apartment. I would follow him east into the city. He waited around before we pulled out of the subdivision.

I became lost in thoughts. What had Rob been on about? I couldn’t help but feel it shouldn’t matter to me at all. The fact I thought about it meant it did. Then there was Ben. What was I doing? A few weeks ago, I had looked for closure. Now I was going to Ben’s home. What did I expect to happen? Did I expect too much or too little?

Without warning, Ben’s turn signal went on, he turned west not east. I flipped on my signal and continued to follow closely.

My cell phone rang.

It was Ben.

10/23/2012 Edit
Copyright © 2013 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The story is developing nicely. Rob was a bit of a mystery. I wonder what his agenda is. Ben and Patrick are pretending that things are "normal". I have a feeling that could go on for a while. The alpha male dynamic that you described around Greg was interesting.

Great chapter! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment

Ahh, how could you leave it like that???? lol

 

So first things first: good for Patrick for sticking up for Darrin when everyone else was afraid of going against Greg. What was up with that anyway? Were they part of a gang where Greg was the leader?

 

And Rob, why was he hanging out with the womenfolk? lol I mean even his brother Kurt was downstairs watching the game. I have a feeling that he didn't like Patrick hanging out with Ben and of course Ben got a little jealous seeing Rob getting close to Patrick when they were playing pool. And of course we know Rob didn't have to go looking for them; he was just trying to prevent Ben and Patrick even communicating.

 

Why would it matter if Ben and Patrick continued their friendship? Who cares that it was so close to Emily and Joe's wedding? Wouldn't Emily want Ben to move on and be happy? What's up with Rob anyway?

 

Awesome chapter Random. Looking forward to more 'catching up'. Is that what they're calling it nowadays? hahah

Link to comment

Hey Patrick, you should meet my family. All crazy. Just like Ben's family. And, just like them, we are all hospitable. Im glad you kicked it off with Darrin and in a way, glad you ignored Greg's domineering character. Shows me you dont take to attitude lightly. Ben's ex wife is rather sweet but I'm more concerned about Rob. He knows more than he is revealing right now. Does he know Ben as a heartbreaker? Did Ben hurt him? Or is he playing a game here?

 

Since our last communication with each other, Patrick, i don't have a problem if you wanna visit Ben. I think you guys have a lot of catching up to do. Soul searching included. I just don't wanna see you get hurt. Rob's cautionary warning tells me you may just be in for a rollercoaster ride. But that's good. I live it when a character is more than one dimension. If you beed someone to talk to, im here (estoy aqui).

 

Ben. You once told me that i dont know you. Thing is, i do. You are complicated and you come to Pat carrying loads of baggage. You seem always to have rhe upper hand. You know that Patrick wants to be closer to you and i think you want him too. But there are questions the answers of which are not clear yet. What dows Rob know and why would he caution Patrick? Im sure it will all out sometime in the near future. Ben, i love the dact you are close to your family. It shows you are a caring, gentle, loving man. But why did you turn West when you should be going East?

 

Nice work, Randomness. You leave a lot to rhink about. You have created real good charactersAnd im looking 4ward to read more.

 

Hugs

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Why do I feel like Rob is bad news? Maybe Ben hurt him, or maybe Rob wants Ben, and Ben is not even aware of the other man's feelings. Hmmmmm

Greg was a shit! Wonder what part he is going to play when everything starts to come together and rumors start flying. This is turning into quite a can of worms. Well, this is going to be one of those stories that I check everyday for an update.

As for Patrick, he knows what he wants, and I think he is exploring his chances in the best way, spending time with Ben. Great job!

Link to comment
On 09/10/2012 04:48 AM, Conner said:
The story is developing nicely. Rob was a bit of a mystery. I wonder what his agenda is. Ben and Patrick are pretending that things are "normal". I have a feeling that could go on for a while. The alpha male dynamic that you described around Greg was interesting.

Great chapter! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks for keeping up with the guys! Rob is still trying to let me know what type of impact he will have. I’ve been thinking about how long Ben and Patrick can go on pretending. Hopefully, Greg added depth to Patrick, showing that he does have a backbone, he is going to need it! :-)
Link to comment
On 09/10/2012 12:55 PM, Lisa said:
Ahh, how could you leave it like that???? lol

 

So first things first: good for Patrick for sticking up for Darrin when everyone else was afraid of going against Greg. What was up with that anyway? Were they part of a gang where Greg was the leader?

 

And Rob, why was he hanging out with the womenfolk? lol I mean even his brother Kurt was downstairs watching the game. I have a feeling that he didn't like Patrick hanging out with Ben and of course Ben got a little jealous seeing Rob getting close to Patrick when they were playing pool. And of course we know Rob didn't have to go looking for them; he was just trying to prevent Ben and Patrick even communicating.

 

Why would it matter if Ben and Patrick continued their friendship? Who cares that it was so close to Emily and Joe's wedding? Wouldn't Emily want Ben to move on and be happy? What's up with Rob anyway?

 

Awesome chapter Random. Looking forward to more 'catching up'. Is that what they're calling it nowadays? hahah

Get out of my head! lol

 

Seriously, you seem to catch the little things. Maybe I’m not as subtle as I thought. I don’t want to make this to complex, but we got a peek at Patrick’s life; this is Ben’s turn I guess. I have been pushing Patrick out of his comfort zone, Greg and Rob are outside. It is a little cliché but I see Greg as one of THOSE guys who would have been on the the high school football team. Rob is still defining himself, he has changed a lot from when first put on paper.

 

Would it have been better to end the chapter with the first line of the next: “Hey Pat, I had and idea…” ?!?! ;-P

Link to comment
On 09/11/2012 01:10 AM, joann414 said:
Why do I feel like Rob is bad news? Maybe Ben hurt him, or maybe Rob wants Ben, and Ben is not even aware of the other man's feelings. Hmmmmm

Greg was a shit! Wonder what part he is going to play when everything starts to come together and rumors start flying. This is turning into quite a can of worms. Well, this is going to be one of those stories that I check everyday for an update.

As for Patrick, he knows what he wants, and I think he is exploring his chances in the best way, spending time with Ben. Great job!

Rob is turning out to be more complex and Greg more simple that I had originally imagined. I have ideas about Rob, but opening an entire can of worms might be too much, maybe just a half can? lol I think Patrick may be on the right path, finally, so maybe he can appreciate everything more later.

 

Thank you for tuning in! The speed of my writing is very dependant on my real life, somehow real life always slows me down. :)

Link to comment
On 09/10/2012 08:56 PM, LJH said:
Hey Patrick, you should meet my family. All crazy. Just like Ben's family. And, just like them, we are all hospitable. Im glad you kicked it off with Darrin and in a way, glad you ignored Greg's domineering character. Shows me you dont take to attitude lightly. Ben's ex wife is rather sweet but I'm more concerned about Rob. He knows more than he is revealing right now. Does he know Ben as a heartbreaker? Did Ben hurt him? Or is he playing a game here?

 

Since our last communication with each other, Patrick, i don't have a problem if you wanna visit Ben. I think you guys have a lot of catching up to do. Soul searching included. I just don't wanna see you get hurt. Rob's cautionary warning tells me you may just be in for a rollercoaster ride. But that's good. I live it when a character is more than one dimension. If you beed someone to talk to, im here (estoy aqui).

 

Ben. You once told me that i dont know you. Thing is, i do. You are complicated and you come to Pat carrying loads of baggage. You seem always to have rhe upper hand. You know that Patrick wants to be closer to you and i think you want him too. But there are questions the answers of which are not clear yet. What dows Rob know and why would he caution Patrick? Im sure it will all out sometime in the near future. Ben, i love the dact you are close to your family. It shows you are a caring, gentle, loving man. But why did you turn West when you should be going East?

 

Nice work, Randomness. You leave a lot to rhink about. You have created real good charactersAnd im looking 4ward to read more.

 

Hugs

L J -

It is good to know that Ben’s family is kinda normal. Darrin is a beacon. He is not an adult yet; maybe that is why he can make me smile. Greg is, as I might have said, an idiot. Whereas Emily may be oblivious right now, I agree, Rob may be a problem. He unnerves me.

 

I know I am way too cautious, but I do not want to get hurt either. More to the point, I do not want to be hurt by Ben. The others (Greg, Rob, Emily, etc.), I think I could deal with if I had to, as long as I know that Ben would stand with me. Para te: Gracias mi amigo para ser allí para me.

- Patrick

 

 

L J -

It sounds like you might be warming up to me. Who would have thought right? I would say that I told you so, but… lol.

 

I have baggage, we all do. Patrick has seen more of mine and has yet to tell me if he can really handle it. Then there is his baggage. He doesn’t share all that well. For example, is his family even in the picture anymore? Do I even need to know stuff like that? I wish he would tell me more about what he is thinking. He can do it, I know he can, he stood up for Darrin. I can’t keep showing all my cards when he does not show his. I just have to be patient. I just have to keep telling myself that.

- Ben

 

L J -

I have no other words other than: you continue to inspire me and thank you.

- Randomness

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It looks as if Rob is being a dog in the manger. The question is, who is he trying to protect? Patrick? Ben? Emily? Himself? :unsure: Somehow, though, I don't think Patrick will only see him this once, or that Rob won't have some influence on developments.

 

I continue to like the pacing on this, the extra details that bring everything together. Great job!

Link to comment
On 09/23/2012 08:54 PM, podga said:
It looks as if Rob is being a dog in the manger. The question is, who is he trying to protect? Patrick? Ben? Emily? Himself? :unsure: Somehow, though, I don't think Patrick will only see him this once, or that Rob won't have some influence on developments.

 

I continue to like the pacing on this, the extra details that bring everything together. Great job!

Rob was written in with one purpose and ended up with another. How he made himself evolve is, in a way, still surprising to me. Once again, thank you for seeing the fun detail. :-)
Link to comment

I hate missing my favourite team´s matches, but it´s very rude to go to a birthday party and spend almost whole time watching TV :huh: Interesting characters you have here :unsure:

Link to comment
On 09/06/2014 03:17 AM, Suvitar said:
I hate missing my favourite team´s matches, but it´s very rude to go to a birthday party and spend almost whole time watching TV :huh: Interesting characters you have here :unsure:
Interesting people are what makes life... interesting. ;-)
Link to comment

Lots of unspoken issues and hidden agendas and strange behavior. Very intense chapter and well written. I loved the way Patrick politely and subtly stood up to Greg and Rob, refusing to follow the path they wanted him to take. Gives me hope for the future.

Link to comment
On 09/20/2014 07:00 PM, Timothy M. said:
Lots of unspoken issues and hidden agendas and strange behavior. Very intense chapter and well written. I loved the way Patrick politely and subtly stood up to Greg and Rob, refusing to follow the path they wanted him to take. Gives me hope for the future.
Like diving into a shark tank right? You don’t know who is about to eat you. I wanted Patrick to feel out of his depth but able to still have a spine. It was fun to make him stand up for the kids. Patrick is a decent guy and knows what is right. This is him going by his intuition, politely of course.
Link to comment

Greg and Rob are both dicks. I wonder at Ben for letting Greg dictate the agenda for his son's party. Was he out of his element there? Rob seemed way to interested in Ben...and Patrick...great chapter with plenty to think about...Cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 12/28/2014 01:49 PM, Headstall said:
Greg and Rob are both dicks. I wonder at Ben for letting Greg dictate the agenda for his son's party. Was he out of his element there? Rob seemed way to interested in Ben...and Patrick...great chapter with plenty to think about...Cheers...Gary
Yes sir. I had debated to myself as to who was the bigger jerk. One is much more up front about it so maybe he is not as bad, at least you can see him coming! I am glad you could feel that Patrick was out of him comfort zone. I hate that feeling. Happy to make you think as well. Thanks Gary!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..