Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,619 Words
  • 2,530 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

To Move Forward - 2. ... Everybody Has One

“Oh hell,” I said out loud.

I pulled into Jake’s driveway right next to Alec‘s Wrangler. I shook my head at myself, it must really be bad if Jake called in reinforcements.

In fact, it was Alec who introduced me to Jake in the first place. We met at a party Alec was having. I had just arrived and was standing in the living room when I heard loud, deep laughter coming from the large man coming around the corner from the kitchen carrying snacks. It had been a while since I met someone close to my size, and it took me back a little. During the evening, we talked a little finding a couple of common interests. Jake and I took to each other right away. Before leaving we exchanged phone numbers and that was that. A few days later my phone rang and after picking it up I heard, for the first time, what would become Jake’s regular greeting for me.

“Paaatriccck!” exclaimed Jake as he opened the front door.

“Hey Jake.” He pulled me in hugging me and patting me on the back. I greeted his parents sitting in the living room before following Jake into the kitchen leaving them behind. He tossed me a Pepsi.

Jake continued to live at home taking care of the house for his parents letting them enjoy their retirement. Now, they spent their time traveling back and forth across the country in their RV. Jake told me once it was like living with two roommates who kept going on spring break or were always in class. When home, they kept to themselves most of the time so he was free to do pretty much as he wanted. This arrangement only occasionally cramped his laid back style, but the rent was free so he couldn’t complain. I was supposed to have steaks with him and maybe a movie.

“How’s it going? Did you finish staining the deck?”

“Yep.” He pointed through the sliding glass door. The deck was magnificent of course. Jake always did really good work.

“I was watching TV with Alec, come on,” he said crossing through the hallway and down into the den. The home improvement channel was on, of course.

“Hey Alec.”

“Oh, sure you can visit Jake and not me and Grant,” Alec said sarcastically. I leaned down to hug him where he was sitting.

“No Grant?” I had hoped against hope Grant would be here as well but I knew better. Alec knew Grant would be too polite when it came time to talk.

“He’s off at his mom’s today.” Alec smirked knowing there would be no escape. “He said he may stop by later.”

Forgoing the sofa, I lay down on my stomach between the twin Lazy Boys where Jake and Alec resumed sitting. I really liked the den. It was totally Jake. Star Wars collectables lined one wall, all other science-fiction “artifacts” neatly separated on another. Although I could never truly appreciate the actual value of the collection, for they were just toys to me. I loved they reminded me of my childhood. I was just beginning to focus on the bathroom remodel when the screen went black.

“Ok, spill it,” Alec said abruptly. I turned and looked to see him half grinning still holding the remote in his hand. Jake laughed from the other side.

“What is this? An intervention?” Jake laughed even harder.

I twisted and looked up at the ceiling. One big difference between Alec and Jake was Alec was more of an active, I want to help you by making suggestions type. He would listen, prod, and sometimes try to goad me into action. Jake was passive, and, in his way, the perfect mirror. He would listen intently, say nothing and let me figure out what to do on own. When they were together like this, they formed a highly effective team. They were ready with whichever method would work in this instance. It was useless to hold back.

Between the two, they knew all my best secrets and sometimes would talk to each other about me as if I was not there. They delighted in making me blush by trying to bring up embarrassing details. Neither was particularly judgmental, but when together it felt a little like the nightmare of standing naked in front of your classmates.

Better to get it over with. Without much preamble, I began walking them through the day at the fair. Jake sat back and watched me talk. Sometimes I could meet his intense gaze and sometimes I just couldn‘t. Alec listened, nodded and made the occasional face. He was formulating his follow up questions and/or closing arguments. I was toying with a Darth Vader action figure as I finished.

“Well, what do you think?” I asked knowing better then to expect a response from Jake. Expressionlessly meeting my gaze, he shifted in his chair. I turned to Alec.

“He cares about you,” Alec said concisely.

My jaw dropped a little and I turned back to Jake. He nodded and took another swig of his beer before responding.

“Let’s start the grill.” Jake stood up and started walking towards the kitchen. I looked at Alec. He shrugged to not say more before helping me up to follow Jake out. Thank god for Jake, he knew I was going to need a few moments.

We sat on the deck with Jake’s parents waiting for the steaks. They were off to New Orleans in a week. Both Alec and I had been there years ago. Hopefully the spots we told about would still be around. After eating, I beat Jake’s dad in a game of horseshoes thereby setting the final match between Alec, who had beaten Jake, and I.

We were goofing around making absurd boasts and threats while recklessly throwing. Finally, it was down to my last toss to cap a very solid win. I was about to throw when I felt the horseshoe yanked out of my hand from behind.

“You can’t win if you can’t throw!” Alec laughed at me quickly backpedaling across the yard. I ran him down by the pool and tackled him, not too hard though. He was so much smaller and wiggly I didn’t want to hurt him. I ended up sitting on his chest trying to manhandle the horseshoe out of his hand laughing my head off. I was just about to wrestle the horseshoe free when I felt cold water.

“Ok, break it up,” said Jake’s dad. He was holding the garden hose smiling. “Patrick won… again.”

“Give it up Alec,” added Jake’s mom.

“Next time…” huffed Alec with a smile.

“Next time nothing, little man.”

Alec punched me in the arm. We walked back up to the house and I tossed the horseshoe missing completely.

Jake came out from the kitchen. “What the hell?” He looked at the two of us. “Never mind. Anyone want more pie?” We shook our heads.

“Your mother and I are going for a walk, you guys have fun. Keep it down, I don‘t want to have to use the hose again.” Jake’s dad winked at us.

Alec and I came back into the family room followed by Jake.

“You are soaked Patrick. I’ll get you one of my shirts. Alec?”

“No, Patrick got the worst of it.” Alec smirked. Jake left the room. I could tell Alec already wanted to say something when his cell went off.

“Hey sexy, I miss you,” Alec purred into the phone. I began making loud retching sounds right behind him.

“No, we were going watch a movie,” he said trying to push me back.

“Get your ass over here Grant!” I shouted over Alec’s arm. Jake came back with one of his larger tee shirts and handed it to me before going over to put the DVD in.

“He said you got a cute ass!” Alec laughed into the phone. I took off my shirt.

“Save me Grant!” I shouted. Alec turned around and looked at me.

“Oh, nothing, he just took off his shirt. I think he’s going to try and have his way with me,” Alec said innocently.

“Oh Jeez…” Jake shook his head and rolled his eyes.

There was a short pause while Alec listened. “Not funny,” Alec answered into the phone. I put the dry shirt on and hung the other out over the TV tray stand.

“I will. I love you too. See you at home. Love you. Bye.” Alec hung up the phone. I made more gagging sounds.

“Jealous?” Alec quipped.

Dead silence.

Alec colored a little. Years ago, before Grant and after he and his ex split, there had been a time when we had considered, maybe, just maybe, trying for more. I had been dumped recently, so we had both been lonely and hurting. After two or three rather uncomfortable evenings, and one disastrous attempt, we knew we wouldn’t pursue anything more. We could provide each other comfort but not the passion. We knew we would never find that specific chemistry. For once, I had been lucky; we were able to continue to be friends. When Alec found Grant, I was genuinely excited and happy for him. You could just tell by looking at the two, they were meant to be together. They had been ever since.

Dead silence.

“Ohhh, sorry,” Alec said embarrassed.

“It’s ok,” I said. There was another pause.

“Awkward,” Jake said quietly with a nice twang of humor.

Tonight, Alec was the little brother I never had, not just in size, but in his manner. The little brother who doesn’t think before he speaks. I gave him a pat on the back. “Really, it’s ok.”

“So what was ‘not funny?” Jake asked Alec with a smile.

“What? Oh, Grant said I would probably enjoy it, Patrick having his way with me.” Alec reddened more.

“Yeah, if I remember correctly, not so much,” Jake replied flopping into his chair.

“You told him about that?!” Alec turned to me.

“You know how he is…” I started, pointing at Jake.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Jake said innocently. “I just sit here. You guys can’t shut up. I just wanna watch a movie.”

Alec and I looked ay each other and started laughing. Jake hit “Play.” Alec couldn’t even wait for the opening credits to end before turning back to me.

“So what are you going to do now?”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“About Ben?” Alec said a little exasperated.

“I kinda figured you’d tell me.” I grinned widely. Jake laughed out loud again.

“I’m not that bad, am I? Alec questioned. I gestured for him to go ahead. Jake hit “Pause.”

“It’s like this. He cares, I told you that. I just can’t figure out how or what he wants now. What do you think?”

“I don’t know. He said he missed me but that doesn’t mean anything one way or the other.” I shrugged.

“What does your heart say?” Alec asked.

I had to think a little. “Well, I think he wants more, at least something,” I said.

“So the best way to find out it to ask him right? The what. What does he want now?”

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea,” I moaned before I took another swig from my beer.

“Huh?” Alec was becoming a little frustrated because I was resisting his logic.

“It doesn’t even matter. He made his choice and moved on. I need to do the same, that’s all.” Jake nodded.

“Oh stop it,” Alec said to Jake. “He needs to use his intuition. If he didn’t feel something, he wouldn’t be sitting here now.”

Jake shrugged. “Anything’s possible,” Jake said dryly.

Alec stuck his tongue out at Jake. Jake smirked.

“Can we watch the movie please?” I interjected.

“Not until you agree with Alec.” Jake laughed. Alec threw a pillow at him and so did I.

“Seriously, you were close right?” Alec tried again.

“More than close,” I sighed. “Way more… I thought anyway.”

“So what happened? Why didn’t you… continue?” Alec questioned.

“He went off to college. I couldn’t. We couldn’t do a long distance relationship. At some point, I understood he had started dating. I was offered a job down here and I took it. I was gone before he got back. He got married. That was it.”

Alec nodded. “What do you think would have happened if neither of you had left?”

“I don’t know. We would have tried to make it work, I guess. It would have been rough, I mean at the time, being gay... I know my parents would have been an issue. Maybe his. He turned out straight anyway.” Alec opened his mouth; I stopped him quick.

“Ok, bi-curious.” Alec closed his mouth.

“So why are you going to the party?” he asked.

“Because I promised.” Alec frowned at me.

“Because I didn’t get what I needed from the State Fair.”

“And what exactly do you need again?”

“Closure.”

“Really?” Alec challenged me.

“It’s time don’t you think?” I looked at Jake, nothing. I looked back at Alec.

“Ask him.” Alec said. I shook my head.

“I have to find out for myself.”

Alec started and Jake cut him off. “I think we need to step back from this for now. Neither of you is getting anywhere and I’m getting a headache.” Jake smiled at us, infecting us with grins. I pulled the pillow from Jake’s lap back down to me to lean on.

“Ok, ok.” Alec giggled.

We managed to watch the rest of the movie without any more discussion. It was a good time and we joked around acting just like friends at a sleepover.

The topic turned to sex and I got an earful about Jake’s latest. Jake admitted, without guilt or boast, to meeting some woman at a casino and having sex with her a few hours later. I just couldn’t imagine it. For me, love and sex are intricately intertwined. For Jake, sex is solely physical, love is purely mental. This dynamic explains so much about Jake and his perpetual bachelorhood. He’s happy and shows no sign of changing.

It’s his very way of life which causes confusion to people as it had originally caused with me. When we first became friends, he never really talked about women, and I never saw any with him. I had made the wrong assumption before he enlightened me. It was still a source of amusement for us, all of us.

“Jeez Jake, are any of your friends straight?!” Alec quipped.

“Only if you count the women I sleep with as friends. Nah,” said Jake dryly. I laughed out loud.

Once the movie ended, Alec gave a hearty yawn.

“Well, I’m going to run, Grant will be waiting up for me,” Alec said.

“Awww…” I gushed before making another gagging sound.

“Are you sure?” Jake asked. “I thought we could watch another one.” Alec shook his head.

“You?” Jake asked me.

“Sure.” I was tired but still wanted to stay.

“Well, you guys have fun,” Alec said. I stood up and gave him a big hug.

“Think about what I said, ok?” he asked. I could still see the frustration in his eyes.

“Sure. Thanks.”

“Right back,” Jake said as he followed Alec out of the room.

I lay down on the couch. I put my head on the armrest and let my feet hang over the opposite one. It wasn’t long enough, but it still felt good. I had just gotten comfortable when Jake came back in crossing right to the player and loading the new movie.

“This is a good one I just found,” he said as he crossed back and sat in his chair close to me. Once the movie started, I was just happy to relax and not talk anymore. Jake reached over and patted me on the head a few times. No words, just understanding. I ended up falling asleep before the movie ended.

While I slept, I dreamed I was cuffed and standing ready to be put into carbon freeze. Ben stood across from me and behind him were Jake, Alec and Grant.

“I love you,” said Ben with tears in his eyes.

I couldn’t bring myself to say it.

“I know.” It was all I could manage.

Next thing I knew I was frozen. I could still hear and see things going on around me. For years, I knew what was going on with everyone. Lives moved forward and things changed. I could feel but not respond, or change. I was frozen in place. I remember thinking when I could move my lips again I would say “I love you too.” When and if I could melt my lost time away.

I woke up in the dark den surrounded by Jake’s toys. At some point the TV and lamps had been shut off and a blanket spread over me. I felt safe, comfortable and in the present.

 

The day of Darrin’s birthday party had arrived and I started the long drive up north. The directions Ben e-mailed were good as were his suggestions for the present. I opted for a video game to go with the new game console Ben had just bought for Darrin. I choose one of the games on the list, it looked a little violent to me but that was the request. Before leaving the store, I picked up another one. It was a throwback game, a reinventing of another from years before. It made me smile so I bought it.

I just passed the toll when my phone went off. It was Grant.

“Hey Grant, what’s up?”

“Hi, Patrick. Do you have a second to talk?”

“Sure, I’m on the highway, I have time. You ok?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I hope you don’t mind, umm… Alec told me a little about what’s going on with you…” he slowed his words cautiously.

I laughed. “Hard to believe. It’s ok, did you call to back him up? Charge right in, right?” Even if that was what Alec wanted Grant to do, I knew Grant would only agree if he really thought it was right.

“Not exactly.” Grant said. I could hear the warm smile in his voice. “Did you come to any decisions yet?”

“No, not really. I spent the last few weeks trying not to think about it actually.” I shrugged even though he could not see it.

“Good, well… if you don’t mind… I had a thought…”

Grant was so polite. He was one of those people who didn’t have a single malicious bone in his body. He never told anyone what to do, except, curiously enough, Alec. Grant would help anyone with anything. A real life good Samaritan who was waiting to make sure it was ok to tell me what he thought.

“Go ahead,” I said.

“It seems to me that you have it backwards. You are the one in control,” he said simply.

“I don’t follow.”

“Do you remember a little of when Alec and I got together? He teased and hinted a little, never really hiding who he was or what he wanted. I was scared and mixed up.”

I remembered Alec said he was going crazy waiting for Grant to want him. Alec was obsessed. He was focused.

“Alec wanted me so bad but I had never even been with a man before. Alec was patient and waited and waited. Finally, I… well I, umm… relented?” Grant giggled before continuing.

“Alec refused to push me. I loved him for it. He made me love him even more that way. I was me who took it farther, each little step was mine, he allowed it.”

My head was swimming a little. That was a strange time, their courtship. Alec was different, we all knew it. Now Grant was telling me Alec been patient, submissive to Grant’s fears. No wonder Alec was going crazy at the time. He was not the one in charge.

“Hey, you still there?” Grant questioned.

“Yes. I don’t understand.”

“I guess what I’m saying is, do what you think or feel for you. If you want to leave it alone, fine. If you want to pursue, go for it. Either way it’s up to you, not him. If he wants to be friends, you can be if you want. If you want to move on, then you move on even if he wants something else. If he wants to… well, you know… that’s up to you too. Don’t look for his approval, we all know you are more than that.”

“I think you overestimate me,” I said sourly.

“I think you underestimate yourself.”

There was a small pause between us, threatening to become awkward.

“Look, I’m sorry Patrick. We all care about you. Nothing is ever that clear cut. You don’t have ‘to get over it’ if you don’t want to. I just wanted to give you something to consider.”

“No, its cool. There’s just so much to think about.”

“Thinking is good sometimes.”

“Not for twenty years,” I said with a certain bitterness.

“Maybe not.” There was another lull.

“Look I’m sorry for overstepping. Are you mad at me?” Grant sounded genuinely concerned.

“No, no, not all.” I thought for a moment. “Well, except that you didn’t call me sooner.”

“I know, bad timing. I’m sorry.”

“Stop apologizing. Its ok, just next time they have an intervention for me, please be there.” I laughed.

Grant laughed back. “I heard about it. It was funny to see Alec so frustrated.”

I laughed harder and kept driving.

Ok, so Patrick needed a little more depth, that is what this chapter is about.
Copyright © 2013 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I think you gave the backstory some depth, and some depth to Patrick's life at present by showing us his friends and then telling about his past with Ben. I get the gist of 'the one that faded away' since that happens in life sometimes. I like the backstory and the history but I'd love to have seen more of Patrick's thoughts, not just his friend's comments, as well.

 

I can't wait to see the situation unfold at the party next.

Link to comment

Well I'm glad to read that Patrick did have a life after Ben. =)

 

His friends are terrific! He is so lucky to have such loving and supportive friends, including Grant. He sounds wonderful; Alec is a lucky guy. Grant is also smart; I agree; the ball is in Patrick's court. We'll see what he does with it at the party.

 

I loved the scene where Patrick, Alec and Jake were fooling around and Jake's dad wound up hosing Patrick. That was really funny! It's good that they can kick back and act like kids again. :)

 

You did a great job telling us a little about all their pasts. I'm glad Patrick wasn't sitting home alone, bitter over lost opportunities and reliving old memories for the past twenty years. It's true, you can pine over someone for that long but still live a full life. You just never forget that person and you know if you have the opportunity again, you should take it and run with it. I guess that's what I would tell Patrick: go for it and if you guys connect again on that level, don't let Ben get away a second time. You certainly don't want to be hung up on him for another twenty years.

 

I'm looking foward to reading about Darrin's party. =)

Link to comment

Patrick. Ben said he missed you.

 

There is no better way to express the depth of your character in the ordinary world than by interacting with your friends, or confidants, Patrick. You take life seriuosly. This is a good thing, considering that you have recently had a fallout. But i want to see you interact in the extraordinary world. The world where reality is blurred. That will come i know. Im glad to have ecperienced this interaction with Jake and Eric.

 

Ben said he missed you.

 

This has left you confused. You are looking for something that has eluded you far toi long, and this is evident in your frozen dream. and of course you will seek advice. You will need tact when you face Ben.

 

He missed you... These words are key to understanding. As far as i can define these words, they mean that he experienced a profound loss by losing you in the intervening years. Also lets look at how he said it: I missed you, past tense. The past tense indicates that you two are now reunited. It means he thought about you. It means he doesnt want to lose you again.

 

Its a great thing to hear those words from someone you have loved. If you have also missed him you should tell him so he knows that he is wanted in your life.

 

Lets see how you cope at the party.

 

Hugs. Your friend, L J

 

Link to comment
On 08/30/2012 02:25 AM, Conner said:
Great chapter! The dialogue was excellent! Jake'a a hoot.
Sorry, I goofed replying on your previous review. Filling in more of the past with Patrick and Ben, has been a challenge, deciding too much vs. too little. I am pleased you liked the dialogue. I hoped to keep the them just something good friends would say. Jake is a favorite of mine. He is based on a friend who deserves a phone call very soon! Thank you so much.
Link to comment
On 08/29/2012 01:35 AM, Cia said:
I think you gave the backstory some depth, and some depth to Patrick's life at present by showing us his friends and then telling about his past with Ben. I get the gist of 'the one that faded away' since that happens in life sometimes. I like the backstory and the history but I'd love to have seen more of Patrick's thoughts, not just his friend's comments, as well.

 

I can't wait to see the situation unfold at the party next.

Hopefully the change in tone between 1 and 2 was not too jarring. Patrick’s thoughts are stronger in intensity the less he talks, and his friends gave him a temporary escape. In the right surroundings, his thoughts will be louder. The party will be another environment for him to cope in. Thank you so very much for keeping up with me and giving me more to think about.
Link to comment
On 08/29/2012 09:46 AM, Lisa said:
Well I'm glad to read that Patrick did have a life after Ben. =)

 

His friends are terrific! He is so lucky to have such loving and supportive friends, including Grant. He sounds wonderful; Alec is a lucky guy. Grant is also smart; I agree; the ball is in Patrick's court. We'll see what he does with it at the party.

 

I loved the scene where Patrick, Alec and Jake were fooling around and Jake's dad wound up hosing Patrick. That was really funny! It's good that they can kick back and act like kids again. :)

 

You did a great job telling us a little about all their pasts. I'm glad Patrick wasn't sitting home alone, bitter over lost opportunities and reliving old memories for the past twenty years. It's true, you can pine over someone for that long but still live a full life. You just never forget that person and you know if you have the opportunity again, you should take it and run with it. I guess that's what I would tell Patrick: go for it and if you guys connect again on that level, don't let Ben get away a second time. You certainly don't want to be hung up on him for another twenty years.

 

I'm looking foward to reading about Darrin's party. =)

Thank you for getting, what I feel, is an important part of Patrick’s personality! You can have a full life AND hold onto the past at the same time. I wanted him to have a little fun with his friends and act like the kid that he sometimes remembers, the happy one, from years ago when he was with Ben.

 

Grant really surprised me! I had assumed Alec was the “smart” one. Grant proved me wrong!

 

Off to the Party… Thanks again!

Link to comment
On 08/29/2012 04:34 PM, LJH said:
Patrick. Ben said he missed you.

 

There is no better way to express the depth of your character in the ordinary world than by interacting with your friends, or confidants, Patrick. You take life seriuosly. This is a good thing, considering that you have recently had a fallout. But i want to see you interact in the extraordinary world. The world where reality is blurred. That will come i know. Im glad to have ecperienced this interaction with Jake and Eric.

 

Ben said he missed you.

 

This has left you confused. You are looking for something that has eluded you far toi long, and this is evident in your frozen dream. and of course you will seek advice. You will need tact when you face Ben.

 

He missed you... These words are key to understanding. As far as i can define these words, they mean that he experienced a profound loss by losing you in the intervening years. Also lets look at how he said it: I missed you, past tense. The past tense indicates that you two are now reunited. It means he thought about you. It means he doesnt want to lose you again.

 

Its a great thing to hear those words from someone you have loved. If you have also missed him you should tell him so he knows that he is wanted in your life.

 

Lets see how you cope at the party.

 

Hugs. Your friend, L J

L J -

 

Yes, others give character.

Who does define me?

Does who change definition?

Friends? Confidants? A Lover?

 

Yes, we are reunited.

Where do we go now?

Do we ignore these past years?

Apart? Lonely? Still longing?

 

Yes, Ben told me he missed me.

What does that really mean?

Does he miss me in his life?

As a lover? A toy? Friend?

 

Yes, the words can make me weep.

How do I tell him?

Do I toss caution aside?

Blurt it out? Confess? Confide?

 

Yes, I have waited many years.

When is the right time?

Do I be ordinary?

At dinner? A party? Fair?

 

Yes, I have waited too long.

Do I need do this?

Why extraordinary?

To breathe, to live, To Move Forward.

 

- Patrick

Link to comment

I just found this story this morning, and I love it. Patrick and Ben are barely skimming the surface, as far as re-developing any kind of realationship, let alone what Patrick has been pining for all these years.

Alec, Grant, and Jake seem like great friends, and a ton of support when any of them need help, and they definitely gave Patrick great advice, especially Grant.

This story flows so easily, and I am enjoying it the the max. Thank you. On to next chapter!

Link to comment
On 09/11/2012 12:51 AM, joann414 said:
I just found this story this morning, and I love it. Patrick and Ben are barely skimming the surface, as far as re-developing any kind of realationship, let alone what Patrick has been pining for all these years.

Alec, Grant, and Jake seem like great friends, and a ton of support when any of them need help, and they definitely gave Patrick great advice, especially Grant.

This story flows so easily, and I am enjoying it the the max. Thank you. On to next chapter!

I am happy to hear you found and are enjoying the story. The hardest part has been to make it flow, to make it seem natural, livable. Hopefully that is what you feel. Patrick needed a good support system and I found that in characters from another story I wrote (lengthy and unpublished) about Alec and Grant.

 

And… No, no, no… Thank YOU for reading! :-)

Link to comment

It looks like, as usual I'm late to the party.

I really enjoyed all the angst...made palatable coming from the minds of

honest to the gods adults, and not sniveling emos.

Patrick and Ben seem like people I'd like to know better, and

study their histories more.

 

thanks for posting for our enjoyment.

Link to comment
On 04/17/2013 02:06 PM, Swhouston44 said:
It looks like, as usual I'm late to the party.

I really enjoyed all the angst...made palatable coming from the minds of

honest to the gods adults, and not sniveling emos.

Patrick and Ben seem like people I'd like to know better, and

study their histories more.

 

thanks for posting for our enjoyment.

I am sure Patrick and Ben would like to get to know you better too.

 

Thank you for your review. Let me know what you think as you get deeper. I truly would love to know what you think.

 

and... remember...

 

you are not "late" you are being "fashionable"...

 

;-)

 

...enjoy the party in chapter three.

 

Thank You! :-)

Link to comment

Patrick has some great friends, they will be there for him if things don´t go well with Ben. Looking forward to going to a birthday party :wizard:

Link to comment
On 09/06/2014 02:48 AM, Suvitar said:
Patrick has some great friends, they will be there for him if things don´t go well with Ben. Looking forward to going to a birthday party :wizard:
I had so hoped that these were the kind of friends that anyone would want. I like people you are supportive and yet a little bit nuts. :-) Thank you.
Link to comment

Like everyone else I liked being shown that Patrick has at least three great friends, who care about him and helps him.

But for me the most important part was the dream. Will Patrick stay frozen and never speak the words to Ben ? Or will he seize the chance he's been given ? Grant's advice was spot on, I think.

Link to comment
On 09/20/2014 06:48 PM, Timothy M. said:
Like everyone else I liked being shown that Patrick has at least three great friends, who care about him and helps him.

But for me the most important part was the dream. Will Patrick stay frozen and never speak the words to Ben ? Or will he seize the chance he's been given ? Grant's advice was spot on, I think.

I may have said it previously in other posts, but Patrick’s friends are necessary. They provide the much needed balance to his life and show that he does have a fun, playful side. That dream… first, I apparently have watched The Empire Strikes Back too many times… second, Patrick’s sub-conscious was less blind than he was. Kind of like: you can’t lie to yourself. Grant, to me, is a gentle caring soul. His advice is a balance to the others, but no less untrue.
Link to comment

We can see now, that life got in the way. Patrick had his own part in their drifting apart...he made it too easy for Ben to take a different route. Patrick had his own fears at the beginning. It seems that communication is a problem they have had for a long long time. I am looking forward to what comes at the party...hopefully the beginning of something...Cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 12/28/2014 01:14 PM, Headstall said:
We can see now, that life got in the way. Patrick had his own part in their drifting apart...he made it too easy for Ben to take a different route. Patrick had his own fears at the beginning. It seems that communication is a problem they have had for a long long time. I am looking forward to what comes at the party...hopefully the beginning of something...Cheers...Gary
Yep, life gets in the way and before you know it, things get left behind that you didn't mean to leave. (Like responding to reviews... lol) :-) When writing, I did want to get to the party too.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..