Jump to content
    rec
  • Author
  • 568 Words
  • 3,031 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Palouse Writing Project - 3. Themes from the Background

A principal decision that I face is how much to draw from the true story as represented in the newspaper articles, summarized in an earlier posting, that describe a boy’s turmoil and how much to draw solely from my imagination.

There are many fascinating aspects about the newspaper articles, but this is not the story of the boy in the articles; it’s the story of Micah Kingman (tentative name) who will be a fictional and different person in the story Palouse. I stress the word fictional, though, because Palouse will definitely not be the story of this cello prodigy from a small town in Eastern Oregon. But there are a number of intriguing themes to explore based upon the newspaper story. That is, the story may share some of the incidents of the newspaper articles, but will come entirely from my imagination.

These are the similarities that I plan to carry forward into Palouse:

  • The protagonist will be of mixed race and will be adopted by a large, religious family from a rural area—in Washington rather than Oregon.
  • Micah will be a child prodigy in an instrument that I’ve not yet decided on—maybe a trumpet, maybe a violin. He will be a self starter.
  • Micah’s mother, tentatively named Betty, will be a piano teacher and a strong-willed person who recognizes Micah’s talent and who has a difficult time with Micah’s turning away from the cello and acting more like the teenager that he is.
  • The story, Palouse, will track the success and downfall of Micah.
  • Micah will be sent on a wilderness trek and/or a school for troubled kids.

This list exhausts, I hope, the major similarities. From these I plan to take off some larger themes for exploration:

  • The enormous pressures derived from the expectations to be great
  • The impact of (deserved) early fame on other aspects of growing up. Bill Bradley’s great book on his NBA career, Life on the Run, explores the theme of immaturity in the context of too-easy success among professional basketball players.
  • Growing tensions at puberty among family, career, self
  • The impact of the absence of a “normal” childhood
  • The impact of a week of complete freedom without family around
  • The breakdown and rebellion of Micah in the context of alcohol, drugs and sexuality.
  • A religious camp to cure the anger and immaturity problem and at the school a boy whose anger is not identified as a problem of sexuality.
  • Micah’s redemption and self realization, which are not at all in the true story.
  • The disappointment that parents must face when their child does not meet up to their wishes for him or her and the acceptance (or not) of the inability to continue to direct the life of their child.
  • The growth of Micah and his love for (tentative name) David, another musician who is gay and whose life and Micah’s have intertwined during encounters over the years.
  • David’s love for Micah and his willingness to help rebuild Micah and the growth and development of his talent, with the hope that Micah will reciprocate David’s love.
  • The reconciliation of Micah with his mother as forced by David once David and Micah have become lovers.

 

In the next posting, I’ll provide the plot summary that I’m tentatively looking at, while recognizing that the story may change as it is written.

Copyright © 2011 rec; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..