Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 15. Chapter Fifteen

Prompt: This week I used a photo Prompt of a glorious sunrise

“Are we really going to keep ignoring it?” Trey pushed his plate back and rested his hands on the table.

“No, I guess not.” Mark stood and picked up the plates to carry them to the sink. He’d known Trey wanted to talk about his option of re-enlisting, but it wasn’t something that Mark really looked forward to. He knew what he wanted him to do, but in the end, it was Trey’s decision.

Mark dumped the plates in the sink and grabbed a couple of sodas out of the fridge. He had the feeling he was going to want a beer before all was said and done, but soda would do, for now. He walked back over and set one of the sodas in front of Trey and then reclaimed his chair.

“I guess the biggest question is, do you want to re-up?” As far as Mark figured, that was really the bottom line. If Trey wanted to re-enlist then nothing he could do or say would change his mind. It didn’t really matter if it would, in the end, it was Trey’s decision and if Mark really wanted them to make a go of it, he’d have to support whatever Trey decided to do.

“I don’t know. I’ve thought about it and I’ve talked to some of the other guys on base, but in the end I’ve never really been able to make up my mind.” Trey picked up his soda and popped the top open and took a drink. “I’ve seen guys who come back from overseas who are adamant that they’re going to get out, and I’ve seen guys come back that are just as determined to re-enlist. ” Trey set the can back on the table and focused on Mark. “What made you decide to get out?”

“I’d seen enough.” Mark stood. There was no way he could sit and talk about this, it made him too restless. He paced across the kitchen and leaned back against the counter to face Trey. “I’d always thought I’d be career military, but the things I saw over there….” He tried to come up with the words to explain everything he’d seen to someone who hadn’t been there, but instead his breath caught in his throat as he remembered. Injured soldiers being brought back to the temporary base. Some missing limbs, others dead. The bloodshed. The absolute horror of roadside bombs obliterating convoys.

Mark’s stomach rolled as the memories assailed him. He turned and gripped the edge of the counter as he forced air in and out of his lungs. He clenched his eyes shut as though that could block out the memory of staring into the lifeless eyes of men he’d fought next to. Except this time, he was looking into Trey’s lifeless eyes. It was too much. He bolted towards the bathroom and barely made it to the toilet before he lost the contents of his stomach.

“Mark…”

He felt the hand on his back and could only shake his head as his entire body trembled and broke out in sweat. He couldn’t talk anymore, couldn’t remember anymore. He didn’t want to remember. It had taken months before he could make it through the night without night terrors waking him up. He’d usually end up sitting outside, alone, for hours until the sun rose over the horizon. The bright colors and the sun shining through the occasional clouds had occasionally managed to chase the terror away, but not always. He’d gone through treatment for PTSD and had accepted that he would never be the same as he was before he’d been deployed.

“I’m sorry Mark.” Trey’s hand rubbed circles on his back.

“Not your fault.” Mark barely managed to gasp the words out as he struggled to get his breathing under control. The smell wafting up from the toilet nearly made him wretch again and he fumbled for the handle and flushed the toilet.

“I’m going to get you some water to rinse your mouth, okay?”

Mark nodded and managed to lift his head. He watched as Trey left the bathroom only to come back moments later with a cup of water. He took the offered cup and rinsed his mouth and spat it into the toilet. He rinsed a couple of more times before flushing the toilet and stumbling to his feet with Trey’s help.

“You okay?” Trey’s gaze searched his face and Mark tried to smile reassuringly.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Give me just a minute?” Rinsing his mouth had helped, but he desperately wanted to brush his teeth and rinse with some mouthwash.

“Sure.” Trey looked uncertain but left the bathroom.

Mark stared at his reflection in the mirror for a moment before grabbing his toothbrush and paste. He scrubbed his teeth and rinsed thoroughly with mouthwash before going back out to join Trey. He’d half expected to find him on the couch and was surprised to find him in the kitchen.

“What are you doing?”

“Hey.” Trey turned from the sink, a plate clutched in his hand. “Thought I’d go ahead and get these washed up.”

Mark knew what he was doing and appreciated that Trey was trying to act like nothing had happened. It didn’t change anything, but he appreciated it just the same.

“You don’t need to do that.” Mark stepped forward and plucked the plate out of Trey’s hand and set it back in the sink. “I’m sorry. I’m usually more together than that.”

“It’s okay.” Trey sighed. “I’m sorry I brought it on.”

“It’s never far away; I just usually do better at controlling it.” Mark grabbed a couple of beers and led Trey over to the couch. After his little breakdown, he could use a drink. “Do you really need to decide whether to re-up now?”

“Actually, I’ve already made my decision.”

“Oh?” Mark couldn’t keep his surprise out of his voice.

“Yeah.” Trey smiled. “When my enlistment is up, I’m done.”

Prompt: This week I used a photo Prompt of a glorious sunrise
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yeah, I can certainly see how Mark's reaction could have scared Trey from re-enlisting.

 

It actually got me all choked up thinking that all these boys and men who come back, in one piece physically, or maybe not in one piece physically, are all damaged. They will never be the same due to their experience at war. All that horror that they experience can never be erased from their minds, and if they're lucky enough to not have it bother them during the day, it'll come out at night in their nightmares. What a horrible way to live. And that's not even including the men who are injured. They have to deal with their physical injuires as well as their mental well-being.

 

I'm glad Trey finally made his decision.

Link to comment

It´s almost 70 years since my country was at war last time, so I don´t know what it feels like to have your loved ones in that kind of danger and somewhere far away. Recently I´ve read few stories here about people coming back from war or having someone there, and they all are telling the same, it´s a horrible experience. The way Mark reacted must have had an impact on Trey´s decision and I´m glad he decided not to go back, now he just have to survive going there for the first time.

Link to comment
On 11/18/2013 05:36 AM, Lisa said:
Yeah, I can certainly see how Mark's reaction could have scared Trey from re-enlisting.

 

It actually got me all choked up thinking that all these boys and men who come back, in one piece physically, or maybe not in one piece physically, are all damaged. They will never be the same due to their experience at war. All that horror that they experience can never be erased from their minds, and if they're lucky enough to not have it bother them during the day, it'll come out at night in their nightmares. What a horrible way to live. And that's not even including the men who are injured. They have to deal with their physical injuires as well as their mental well-being.

 

I'm glad Trey finally made his decision.

That was definitely a big part of this chapter... Trey was so undecided, and while I didn't want Mark "telling" him what to do, I really wanted Trey to "see" how it still affected Mark and base his decision on that.

 

I know that it affects different people different ways. A friend of mine came home mentally stable, she was in what was considered a green zone, or a relatively safe area, but physically she had a few issues, though they weren't apparent at the time and she is still dealing with them. To the point where it has led to a medical discharge from the military.

 

I had seriously considered having Trey not yet make his decision, but after Mark's reaction to just talking about it, I couldn't in good conscience leave him wondering...

Link to comment
On 11/19/2013 03:17 AM, Suvitar said:
It´s almost 70 years since my country was at war last time, so I don´t know what it feels like to have your loved ones in that kind of danger and somewhere far away. Recently I´ve read few stories here about people coming back from war or having someone there, and they all are telling the same, it´s a horrible experience. The way Mark reacted must have had an impact on Trey´s decision and I´m glad he decided not to go back, now he just have to survive going there for the first time.
It's definitely a scary experience. I've have friends and family both overseas during wars and it's scary not knowing what's going on. While none of them experienced things quite to the extent that Mark did, I have heard of people who did react in much the same way as Mark. I know my best friend, when she came back, couldn't be in crowds and was really jumpy. Loud sounds made her jumpy and had her looking for cover. She's actually been a great help to me whenever I have questions that I need answered for this story. I'm glad as well that Trey decided not to re-enlist when his time is up, I just hate that Mark had to go through such a breakdown for Trey to come to that decision.
Link to comment
On 11/20/2013 03:18 PM, Menace said:
OMG noooo~! I want more plz. Pretty plz~!.

It is such a good story....Please continue it~

So glad that you are enjoying the story Menace! Don't worry, I have no plans to not finish this story. I'll be posting it every week, even if they are short chapters :).
Link to comment

I am actually really proud of the way you handled that one Renee.

That was perfect. So much tragic emotion and vivid realism in so few words. Spot on. I was really able to feel the terror and pain in Mark, and that was pretty important for me. Capturing that vivid realism of the horror of war was something I'd wondered if you'd broach at all in the story, and if you did, how it'd come across.

So when I did find it, I can honestly say that it was on the money. And, I can also see how the reaction from Mark would indeed prompt such a response from Trey. If the man he can love can be that physically horrified at the memory of war, what was he heading out towards, and more over, how would he return from it, if at all?

Poignant thoughts!

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 03:13 PM, Yettie One said:
I am actually really proud of the way you handled that one Renee.

That was perfect. So much tragic emotion and vivid realism in so few words. Spot on. I was really able to feel the terror and pain in Mark, and that was pretty important for me. Capturing that vivid realism of the horror of war was something I'd wondered if you'd broach at all in the story, and if you did, how it'd come across.

So when I did find it, I can honestly say that it was on the money. And, I can also see how the reaction from Mark would indeed prompt such a response from Trey. If the man he can love can be that physically horrified at the memory of war, what was he heading out towards, and more over, how would he return from it, if at all?

Poignant thoughts!

Thank you Mr. Yettie!

 

It would have been so easy to gloss over, but I didn't want to take the easy route. I felt that Trey really needed to see the effect that war had on Mark to be able to come to the decision that he did. It needed to feel real to him in a way that it hadn't, up until that point. I'm glad that you feel I did it justice as I was concerned about it. Thank you!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..