Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 31. Chapter Thirty-One

Prompt: “What about the…?”

“I wish you boys didn’t have to leave tomorrow.” Diane slid the plate of roast on the table before slipping into her seat. “What time did you say you had to go?”

Mark kept quiet. He knew Trey had already told them they’d be leaving after breakfast. He’d actually been surprised himself at the timetable, but Trey had been adamant when they’d talked about it. He’d told him point blank that he wanted them to have some one-on-one time before he had to report back to base.

“We’ll head out after breakfast.” Trey speared a slice of roast with his fork and flopped it onto his plate before adding some potatoes and carrots. He held his hand out for Mark’s plate.

Mark handed it over and waited. He’d gotten used to not serving himself while he’d been at Trey’s parents. Either Trey or Diane was always dishing up his plate before he had a chance to. He’d finally given up and just let them. It was easier.

“So, we’ll eat around ten or so?”

“Mom….”

“Diane….” Gary shook his head at her. “You know the boys need to get a decent start.”

“I know.” Diane sighed and reached for Gary’s plate. “I just don’t want them to go.”

Mark didn’t want them to leave either. He didn’t mind the going home so much as what it meant. Once they went home, Trey would leave. He wasn’t sure he was ready for it, but he didn’t have a choice.

“Just keep reminding yourself, once this tour of duty is over, I’m coming home for good.” Trey picked at the food on his plate.

“And there’s always email, phone calls, and web chats.” It wasn’t the same, but Mark knew that without those, he’d go insane. When he was overseas they had that accessibility so he assumed that the same would be true for Trey.

“Yeah, by doing the web chats you’ll even get to see me.” Trey smiled at Mark and took a bite of roast. He ate for a minute before focusing on his dad. “You’re still using that old computer, right?”

“Yeah, it’s a little slow, but it works fine.”

Mark bit back a chuckle as Trey rolled his eyes.

“Seriously, that thing is so out of date. You really should think about upgrading it. At the very least you need to get a webcam and a microphone for it. Honestly, you’d be better off to upgrade and get a laptop. Then if you and mom decided to go on vacation or something you could take it with you and the webcam and microphone would be built in.” He bit his lip. “It’s too late to go tonight and we won’t have time tomorrow.”

Mark knew what he needed to do. His bank account was going to hate him, but he’d already planned to make the offer that if they needed help while Trey was gone that they could call him and he’d do what he could.

“If you guys wouldn’t mind a house guest for a weekend, I could come back up weekend after next and go with you to get what you need.” He shrugged. “Whether you decide to upgrade to a laptop or just get the webcam and microphone, I could help you get it all set up and show you how it works.”

“Oh, we can’t ask you to do that.” Diane shook her head. “It’s too much.”

“You didn’t ask, I offered.” Mark hoped his smile was encouraging and they’d accept his offer. The next year wasn’t going to be easy on anyone, but being able to see Trey on a regular basis through the computer would hopefully help.

“If you’re sure it’s not too much trouble—“ Gary glanced uncertainly at Diane.

“Not at all.” Mark looked over at Trey and smiled as his lover mouthed ‘thank you’ to him. He nodded.

Mark stayed quiet the rest of dinner and listened to Trey try and talk his dad into replacing the aging desktop with a new laptop. By the time they were done eating, he thought Trey had just about talked his dad into it.

“What about the records and programs already on the computer?”

Trey looked at Mark.

“As long as you have the discs for the programs, I can easily load them onto a new computer and transferring the files over is a piece of cake.” Mark shrugged. “It’s a bit time consuming, but that’s why I said I’d come for the weekend. If I needed to stay an extra day or so, it’s not a big deal.”

“I’ll think about it.” Trey started to say something else and Gary silenced him with a look. “I said I’d think about it and I will. Your mother and I will talk it over and make a decision before Mark comes back up here.”

Mark grinned and pushed his chair back.

“Thank you for dinner Diane. If you’ll excuse me, I think I’m going to go make sure everything is packed and then I should probably give my sister a call.”

He gave everyone a smile before heading upstairs. He didn’t really need to call Jackie, but he probably would anyways. He was determined to make himself scarce for the majority of the evening to give Trey time alone with his parents.

It wasn’t that he thought any of them minded having him around, but he was sure they could use the time alone. He’d still have a day with Trey once they left in the morning, but Trey’s time with his parents was down to a few more hours. He refused to be selfish and intrude on it, no matter how much he wanted to spend every minute possible with the man he’d fallen for.

Now he had to just hope Trey would go along with it. The sound of Trey excusing himself followed by footsteps trailing him didn’t bode well for his plan.

“Mark, wait up!”

Mark sighed and waited.

I was determined to try and get something out this week since I missed a couple of weeks. Sorry about that. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I would love to know your thoughts, so feel free to leave a review. If you'd like to discuss the story more in depth with either myself, or other readers, feel free to do so in the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Mark, Gary and Diane are going to need each other over the next year. I like the relationship they're building. Got a request...can you not kill off Trey? lol

Link to comment

I second LadyDe´s request, please let Trey come back safely. :yes:

It´s nice of Mark to offer to spend a weekend and help Gary and Diane with their computer and make sure they´ll have a chance to keep in touch with Trey. They´ll all miss Trey terribly while he is away and they´ll worry.

Link to comment

Our heroes sound like a couple of keepers! Trying to be thoughtful and succeeding!

More please when your schedule permits!

Link to comment

Omg, yes!!!! DON'T KILL TREY!!!!!! We'll all be in tears!!!! (Mark, Trey's parents, your readers...)

 

Mark was very nice to offer help with the computer. They should definitely get a new computer w/o a doubt. lol Especially if they can afford it. It'll be well worth it just to be able to Skype or something with Trey. (not that I've ever Skyped myself...don't even have it on my five-year-old Sony. lol) But it's old and it still works. lol

 

Great chapter, Renee - glad you're back! :)

Link to comment
On 04/16/2014 11:50 PM, LadyDe said:
Mark, Gary and Diane are going to need each other over the next year. I like the relationship they're building. Got a request...can you not kill off Trey? lol
Thanks for the review LadyDe! Yes, they are definitely going to need each other, though if I told you more than that then I'd be giving away things that will come later in the story and we can't have that. As for your request... would I do something like that?
Link to comment
On 04/16/2014 11:59 PM, Suvitar said:
I second LadyDe´s request, please let Trey come back safely. :yes:

It´s nice of Mark to offer to spend a weekend and help Gary and Diane with their computer and make sure they´ll have a chance to keep in touch with Trey. They´ll all miss Trey terribly while he is away and they´ll worry.

Well dang, another request for Trey's safety. Hmmmm *thinks about my plans for Trey* We'll just have to see what I come up with.

 

I debated about Mark's offer but then he smacked me upside the head. Told me he was doing it whether I wrote it in or not, so I may as well let the readers know about it. And yes, my characters speak to me. No, I'm not crazy.... Well, maybe just a little bit.

 

Thanks for the review Suvitar!

Link to comment
On 04/17/2014 12:24 AM, Daddydavek said:
Our heroes sound like a couple of keepers! Trying to be thoughtful and succeeding!

More please when your schedule permits!

There's just something I like about Mark and Trey, though sometimes I think I've made them too good to be true. Then I realize that in the short amount of time they have together, they really don't have a lot of time for petty crap to cause issues. It's usually later that issues rear their ugly head, at least in all the relationships I've seen. Thanks for the review DDK!
Link to comment
On 04/17/2014 04:51 AM, Lisa said:
Omg, yes!!!! DON'T KILL TREY!!!!!! We'll all be in tears!!!! (Mark, Trey's parents, your readers...)

 

Mark was very nice to offer help with the computer. They should definitely get a new computer w/o a doubt. lol Especially if they can afford it. It'll be well worth it just to be able to Skype or something with Trey. (not that I've ever Skyped myself...don't even have it on my five-year-old Sony. lol) But it's old and it still works. lol

 

Great chapter, Renee - glad you're back! :)

Wow, with all the "Don't kill Trey" requests y'all are gonna start to give me a complex, make me think I'm evil or something.

 

Yes, they definitely need a new computer, that's for sure, and if they're anything like my parents (which technologically they're identical) then they're going to need Mark's help desperately. LOL.

 

Glad you're still enjoying the story and thanks for the review! And yep, I'm back!

Link to comment

It is funny in a way how a younger person wouldn't think twice about accepting an offer of assistance in this case, yet as you grow older and wiser you are more inclined to be more cautious about putting others out, whether they genuinely want to help or are doing it out of some sense of obligation. I kind of had to smile to myself as I felt empathy with Gary and Diane.

Trey probably should give mom and dad some more of his time, but I know how he feels, wanting to spend every available moment with Mark.

 

Would you kill Mark?????

Ahem, oh need you ask such a question my dear? :P

I do suspect that there is something rather unpleasant coming in the future though. :/

Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 02:43 AM, Yettie One said:
It is funny in a way how a younger person wouldn't think twice about accepting an offer of assistance in this case, yet as you grow older and wiser you are more inclined to be more cautious about putting others out, whether they genuinely want to help or are doing it out of some sense of obligation. I kind of had to smile to myself as I felt empathy with Gary and Diane.

Trey probably should give mom and dad some more of his time, but I know how he feels, wanting to spend every available moment with Mark.

 

Would you kill Mark?????

Ahem, oh need you ask such a question my dear? :P

I do suspect that there is something rather unpleasant coming in the future though. :/

I think you have a point there. In fact, I know a few people who would just expect people to drop whatever they're doing to help them. I can understand their hesitance, especially with the distance, but Mark wouldn't have offered if he minded.

 

I do agree with you a bit on Trey giving them more of his time, but I could also see him cutting his time short if Mark hadn't come with him. At least Mark is trying to give Trey some alone time with his parents.

 

And all I can say to your last part is :P

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..