Jump to content
    ricky
  • Author
  • 1,159 Words
  • 2,913 Views
  • 9 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sex Ed in Rudy Sharkey's Class - 1. Chapter 1

These were different times.

Rudy Sharkey, an ex-Marine built like a beer keg with arms and just about as tall, was the toughest teacher in the high school. If you were a boy and you weren't on his football team, you were a wuss. I couldn't remember if football was the game with the puck or not, so, needless to say, I was not his favorite student.

Biology! Hated it. Cutting up stinking frogs and worms. Couldn't get that stink off your hands for a month and by then you had done it again. It meant a semester of sickening fumes.

If that wasn't awful enough, then the boredom of species gender and phylum was enough to knock anybody out. It was torture, the likes of which could only be paralleled by the "begots" of the Bible. You know, Adam and Eve begot Caine and Able who begot . . ., well you get the point.

Sharky (as we called him, but not to his face) liked to see how fast he could bore you to sleep and then he would bust out the secret weapon. He had a huge Masonic ring, with a big square black stone set in gold with the Masonic emblem in the middle. Strolling up and down the isles as he droned on, Sharky would spot his victim; head in the mashed potatoes, so to speak.

Without breaking a droned syllable, he would maneuver to a spot directly behind you and slowly he would twist that ring so that the huge square piece was now facing his palm side of his hand. Raising his hand high above your head before dropping it with a rapid snap at the end left you seeing stars and birdies; an act that today would surely send him to jail. But those were different times.

It was Monday and that meant a double biology. The argument, deciding whether it was the teacher for biology or physical education who would teach the first sex education class had been decided. Lucky me, Rudy Sharkey would teach the very first. My class.

He would be the first teacher to actually say the "S" word to a student as part of the curriculum--a curriculum that had never been written. He was going to wing it. We didn't even know it was coming. He stood in the front of the class leaning against that old oak desk looking at the class.

"Today we are going to discuss - sex." The class gasped at first and of course then the giggles and the snickers broke out.

"It is not a laughing matter!" The class knew the tone, even if they didn't hear the words.

"Now, I want to start with a simple question. When is the best time to . . ." and here he took a deep breath and closed his eyes, " do . . it?" The class erupted in laughter.

"Now QUIET DOWN. This is serious! I'll ask again. When is the best time to do it?" He said it with greater resolve this time. But it didn't help. The room erupted again in laughter. Just when you figured you had another 20 seconds or so of laughter and talking the entire class went instantly silent. All except for me of course; I was still making comments to the kid in front of me. Comments, it turned out that seemed funnier to the class around me than Rudy Sharky's ever were. The result was uncontrollable laughter.

As I was wiping the tears from my eyes produced from the intensity of the laughter, I was suddenly staring into the eyes of one very angry Rudy Sharky. Seems he missed the comment and was eager to hear it again.

Shit! I was starting to feel like a bad example about to be made for public display.

As he stood back up straight and turned strolling towards his desk again he did the set up. "Well Missssster Odom! It seems the class thinks that you are an authority on the subject and have all the answers. Please stand up next to your chair. I will ask you and you alone now. When is the best time to do it?"

I tried to side step the answer. "I, . . . I don't know Mr. Sharkey."

"You knew a moment ago why not share your last answer with us then. Some of the class did not hear it."

I'm screwed now and I know it. Might as well go down in flames. He was anxious but patient. The room was silent. There was no way out of it. I raised my head and looked him directly in the eyes as I answered.

"When her old man's out of town."

The room exploded in laughter. Even Rudy Sharkey had to turn quickly and face the blackboard as he regained his composure. And when he did, it was more than clear that it was not the answer that he expected or wanted. For a guy with really short legs he crossed that room in an instant. I was lead out of the room by my ear. Shit, I didn't even know he could reach it!

Deposited outside the room, waiting for my death sentence I thought to run but knew for sure that it would be worse. I had to wait. He was doing damage control in the room. I hope it takes a while, I don't want to die. Finally Mr. Sharkey exited the room with his handmade oak paddle as long as his arm.

His paddle was legend in this school. Thin lightweight oak with holes drilled in rows to reduce wind resistance. The handle turned by lathe so that it fit his personalized grip. He introduced every class to it the first day of school by hitting it flatly on his desk. Oak meeting oak made a terrifying sound. No one in living history was able to say what it felt like. 'Till now.

"Wait right here." He commanded as he walked a straight and determined line directly to the room across the hall. Teachers needed a witness to document the act. The teacher came out of the room and looked at Sharky and what was in his hand. Then his gaze turned to me. Sharky was standing on his tip toes to reach the other teachers ear to whisper my crime. All of a sudden the teacher was laughing hysterically. He fell back against the wall laughing as he slid down to the floor with large tears in his eyes. As he propped himself up still laughing and pointed as if to say "get on with it," Mr. Sharky returned to the task at hand.

His paddle wasn't the only thing that got air that afternoon, as my tennis shoes were severely lifted off the floor.

It may not have been my first whack in school, but it was certainly the most memorable. Probably for Rudy Sharky too!

It was one of the few times I was actually popular at school.
Don't worry, it didn't last.
A true story from my youth
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A Joy to read! It was easy to identify with the story. Brought back some interesting memories. Thank you

 

 

Link to comment
On 02/21/2011 04:17 PM, sojourn said:
A Joy to read! It was easy to identify with the story. Brought back some interesting memories. Thank you

 

Again, a totally true story about me from my youth. Glad you liked it. Cheers, r
Link to comment

Not popular in school???

 

You were the first to take on Sharkeys paddle and live to tell the tale!

 

That is the stuff of legends!

 

SG

 

 

Link to comment
On 03/15/2011 10:17 AM, SurfGrommett said:
Not popular in school???

 

You were the first to take on Sharkeys paddle and live to tell the tale!

 

That is the stuff of legends!

 

SG

 

Ya, that lasted about two days. I reveled in it. I was poorer than poor. And everyone knew it. I was a projects kid, weird and gay. There were some other things about me that made people afraid of me or convinced them that I was to be avoided like the plague. But for one brief moment in time, I was beyond legend. I was the boy that survived.
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great story. Reminds me of my physics teacher making boy dance in the corridor for the whole lesson cos he said he'd been at a disco and so couldn't do his homework! Have you read Joyce's Portrait of an Artist, the pandybat incident? Reminded me of that. You write with real pace and life. Good stuff. Love the detail about the laughing near the end.

Link to comment
On 08/16/2011 01:56 AM, carringtonrj said:
Great story. Reminds me of my physics teacher making boy dance in the corridor for the whole lesson cos he said he'd been at a disco and so couldn't do his homework! Have you read Joyce's Portrait of an Artist, the pandybat incident? Reminded me of that. You write with real pace and life. Good stuff. Love the detail about the laughing near the end.
Thanks, and No I haven't read it. But I intend to. I assure you that I wasn't laughing then. I was terrified. But I am sure that Rudy had a good laugh at it. Of course in my later years I can look back on it and laugh. I'm still waiting to hear how Rudy Sharkey likes it.
Link to comment
On 01/10/2015 09:55 AM, Sammy Blue said:
This was hilarious! Gave me a much needed laugh. Thanks for sharing :)
A true story. Rudy Sharkey was given a copy recently and he laughed. He only objected to my description of him as a beer keg with arms and legs. OH, and I've got detention again. I hope my wife will let me go. lol
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..