Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 2,966 Words
  • 4,514 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Landfall - 19. What Are We Walking Toward?

A lot going on in this chapter--get ready!

Have I fucked it all up?

Yesterday was such a cluster-fuck. Felt like shit all day before—really down. Crazy dreams that night about Jackie and the boys. One minute they're here and the next, they're gone. Faces fading in and out. Overwhelming sadness. Then Dave comes in yesterday morning after that lousy night, being his usual attentive self, and I totally dumped on him. You'd think this mess was all his fault. Almost like an alien had taken over my body. Oddly detached from it all—like I was watching a drama scene from a bad soap opera, powerless to stop it.

Talking with Doc yesterday really helped me get some of my perspective back. What he said about understanding the grief/loss/acceptance progress in dealing with these things makes sense; guess I'm still in grief/loss over all of this. Thankfully, Dave accepted my apology for the jackass behavior and things were kinda back to normal last night.

But things are different—I just know it.

Dave is still his loving attentive self. Talks to me, reassures me, gives me the casual touches that are still electric. He'll occasionally flash that megawatt smile and I fucking damn near melt. But.....he's still watching me, focused on me—almost like he's waiting for me to meltdown, or explode into a hurricane of emotions, constantly expanding, covering territories that'd been clear before. Thought I'd gotten past that hurricane in Dallas, but guess that was the eye of the storm making landfall, and this is the winds picking back up again on the backside of the storm as the calm eye moves away.

He's waiting for me to break. Disappointed him. Not the man he thinks I am.

Thank God, Doc will be here in a couple of hours—I really need to talk through all this more; it's still not gelled, and I'm still a mess. Maybe he'll talk with Dave, too; maybe he can fix this distance between us.

Maybe I've fucked it up so badly there is no us anymore.

Doc can't get here soon enough today.

Interesting to see what the Assistant Director has to say, too. Sounds like something big. He'll be here late this afternoon, after Doc finishes with me.

At 11:30am or so, Doc arrives, Dave's about to excuse himself from the room, but Doc stops him. “Let's grab a bite to eat first. I didn't have time for breakfast before I left Dallas, and I'm ready to eat my luggage.” He grins, and everyone agrees it's a good idea.

I grab my sunglasses and baseball cap, we head out to a sandwich place near the beach, maybe a mile or so from the bed and breakfast, Dave driving Doc's rental car.

Lunch was great, good food, relaxed conversation.

Doc kind of wraps up the conversation, looks at Dave. “Can you give us some time, Dave? Barry and I are going to walk on the beach and talk for a while.”

“Sure, Doc. I'll head back to the room, you guys take as much time as you need. I need to do some stuff anyway. And, the Assistant Director should be here around 4pm or so to meet with Barry and me. Barry, you've got your phone, right? Give a call when y'all are done, I'll swing back and pick you up.”

Dave leaves, and Doc looks at me. “Let's walk and talk, huh, Barry? Different kind of therapy, right?” He grins, and starts taking off his shoes and socks, stuffing the socks in his shoes, rolling his Dockers' legs up, carrying his shoes in one hand as we head to the beach. I kick off the flipflops, and we start walking in the sand.

Doc's presence is like someone pulled a Chatty Cathy string. Babbling. Covering some of the same stuff as yesterday on the phone. Throwing in new stuff, including the gap I'm feeling with Dave. At a couple of points in the conversation having to fight back crying. Doc nods and listens, asks occasional questions, keeps me talking.

We'd been walking and taking maybe an hour or so. I'd talked enough I was thirsty, the sun was hot. I'd already taken off my t-shirt, and Doc had tucked his golf shirt in the waistband of his pants.

“Let's get a drink, Barry. We can both use it, and cool off, and talk about some of the stuff you've mentioned.” There's a little deck up ahead, on the back of a restaurant or something, and we head there.

After ordering iced tea for both of us, Doc starts talking. Reviewing key points I'd mentioned. Listening, he'd invite my thoughts as he went, and I found myself both feeling like issues were being resolved and feeling much better—the weight was lightening. Found myself agreeing with Doc's observations. Made sense.

“Two things though, Barry. First, I really don't think you have anything to worry about with Dave, but I'll talk with him and we'll do a joint session with both of you. Right now, assume there's no problem, act that way, and talk with him about all of it. He's a big boy, he can handle it, and your concerns will only make you feel that you aren't making progress if you aren't talking with him. It becomes kind of self-fulfiling prophecy—you think you've got a problem, so you do.

“Secondly, right now, I'm going to prescribe something to help even out your emotions a little. It's not a big thing, it's just a temporary thing to help you while you think through everything. Once you get your heart agreeing with your head, you won't need 'em anymore. Are you ok with both of those?”

I nod yes, and Doc smiles.

“Good. I'll take care of that this afternoon, and get the medication over to you before dinner tonight. Now, give Dave a call—I'm damn sure not walking back in this heat.” He laughs an easy laugh, and we do just casual chat until Dave arrives.

“By the way, guys, I'll be staying at the bed and breakfast one floor up from you. If you need me, just track me down. I'll be primarily there around the pool, but I've got my cell if I wander off to the beach. Ok?” Dave and I both nod as Dave drives us back to the B&B.

Head up to our rooms, check the time once inside, and it's 3:30pm. Spent a helluva long time with Doc, but worth it. Feeling much better; surprisingly I'm not bothered by Doc's giving me drugs—never been one to do any kind of drugs beyond recreational experimentation in college, and always kinda viewed anyone who did drugs regularly as needing a crutch. If I need 'em, I need 'em—and trust Doc enough to accept that.

“Dave, I'm hot and sweaty, gonna hit the shower before the Assistant Director gets here. He's still on schedule for 4pm?”

“Yup, it'll be about 4. I'm not thinking of this as that formal of a meeting. Go ahead, I'd already showered while you and Doc were out.”

“About that, Dave, I'm sorry I....” Dave cuts me off with a stern look and a wave of his hand.

“Barry, damnit, stop apologizing! You were having a bad couple of days, you needed to vent, and I'm glad ya trusted me enough to do that with me. It's not changed anything about us at all—it only makes me more determined to take care of you. And that's not because it's my job—it's because I love you. In fact, truth be told, I'm feeling a little guilty—if I'd been paying better attention, you wouldn't be hurting so much now. And I'm watching more, 'cause I'm not going to let that happen again. So no more apologies, ok?”

I can only nod yes.

Bastard just said so much with all of that. I'm a lucky son-of-a-bitch to have my big lawman.

Quickly shower, and get dressed. As I'm pulling on a fresh t-shirt, the room phone rings. Dave answers, chats for a few minutes.

“The A.D is waiting for us by the pool. You ready, Barry?”

Yup, let's go.”

Sid is sitting by the pool. He's obviously already checked in, and changed clothes, since he's in t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. He's picked up a six pack, since there's no bar here at the B&B, and has already opened one. After shaking hands and exchanging pleasantries, Dave and I both grab a beer, and sit.

Barry, you're looking well. You've picked up some color, and seem to have done well with your surgical procedure. Any discomfort?”

I'm doing ok, Sid. No discomfort, just working to get used to the new face. First time I saw it, I wasn't in the best frame of mind, and I freaked, but it's getting better—Doc is helping with that.” Sid nods his understanding.

And David, you're looking fit. Obviously, the Dallas event didn't create serious problems for you.”

No, sir.”

Well, guys, let me cut to the chase here. Barry, this first part directly affects you. The second part affects you, David.

Barry, we'd found you a job in Montana. You'd become a finance and lease manager for a heavy equipment firm outside of Billings. With the increase in oil field work there, they've got a thriving business, you'd be able to make a good living; the cost of living is less than what you had in Dallas, and there's the potential for you to buy into the business as a partner if you'd like to at some point in the future. Of course, as part of our agreement with you, we'd pay for your initial living expenses while relocating there, and get you a car, up to the limits in your agreement. It'd be a solid life choice.

But, in the last couple of weeks we've had another option that's popped up. The owners of a gay bar in one of the New Orleans suburbs have decided to sell—their health is poor, and they're moving to Florida with the mother of one of the guys. It's a fully operational bar, solid low-key business, and you'd become the new owner/operator of it.

Wait, damnit! I don't know the first thing about running a bar...I've enjoyed 'em, but knowing operations? Think that may be out of my league.” Sid just waves his hand after my interruption and continues.

Here's the thing, Barry—the bar pretty much runs itself. The lead bartender has been there for ten years, and acts as bar manager. There are a couple of other part-time bartenders there, who've also been there for several years. You would be there to keep an eye on the financials, glad-hand customers, keep the social side of the business going, along with profitability. We have no doubt you'd do well with this. You wouldn't necessarily have to actually work behind the bar unless you want to do so.

The reason for our interest is that New Orleans has always had an active mob influence, and they're pretty open about it. They're involved in a variety of interests, several of which impact the bar and restaurant businesses. New Orleans is known world-wide as a foodie town, and they've been able to get their hooks into a wide variety of secondary operations that all started out from their restaurant/bar services.

In this case, the son of the local mob leader and his wife are known to frequent the bar. We need eyes and ears there to pick up on things said and done when they're in—he's been known to be pretty mouthy and boastful after a handfull of drinks. We also know that some of their businesses provide services to the bar.

Barry, you'd become our eyes and ears there. You'd be staying out late, waiting for him and his wife to come in with their cronies. You'd keep an eye out for their operations within your business and monitor the agreements for the services their companies provide the bar. And, you'd do nothing more than update us on what's said and done--if anything looks out of line or doesn't feel right to you, report it.

In return for your agreement of assistance to us, we'd help with the bar's acquisition costs, and provide you with a monthly stipend to help cover some of the bar's expenses.

Obviously, there are pros and cons to either location. Montana would offer a quieter life, and be in your previous line of finance. Billings is obviously not as well known as being a party town like New Orleans. You'd be able to pursue a typical suburban life. And you'd be able to carve out a good stable life there.

New Orleans offers a lot, and there's no denying the fun attitude and approach to life. Certainly civic and cultural opportunities exist there that may not match up with Montana. But, you'd also be primarily in a gay environment—if you're comfortable with that—and although it would be low key, your involvement with us, if it ever came out, could be dangerous; far more dangerous than in Billings. Your earning potential could be far higher, simply due to the profits you'd get as owner of the bar.

So here's the other factor: Another buyer has stepped up to the plate, and may be making an offer on the bar. Our window of opportunity is closing on this. As a result, I'm going to ask that you think about all of this, Barry, and then give me a decision by Sunday night at 8pm. We can quickly finalize a deal on Monday for the bar purchase. The Billings job will be open in another week.”

Sid sees the look of surprise and confusion on my face—helluva lot to think through in the next couple of days.

Look, Barry, I know this is a lot to hit you with at once. But I want to give you all the options that I can for your life ahead; just promise you'll think about it, and let me know what you want to do.”

Stunned silence. Lots to process.

You mentioned part of this affected Dave....” The director nodded and turned to Dave to continue.

David, you've been a great asset in our Dallas office. We believe you're due for a promotion. If Barry does accept the New Orleans offer, we'll move you to the New Orleans field office, and you'll become the lead project manager on this entire case. We currently have 15 operatives/informants specific to this case, and you'll become responsible for gathering their information and coordinating the case up through successful prosecution. If that means you need additional resources, the Bureau would stand behind you. Barry would be reporting directly to you.

And, from a personal level, if Barry accepts the offer for the bar, you and he would be able to continue to pursue your relationship with him there.”

And if Barry decides on Billings?” Dave has an eyebrow cocked over narrowed eyes, focused intently on the Assistant Director. Looks briefly at me, then shifts focus back to the A.D.

Is that anger I see in his eyes?

Well, if he chooses to go to Montana, you'll have your choice of either staying in Dallas, with your advancement in the future as another suitable promotion comes up. Or you can take the Lead Project manager and transfer to New Orleans; we need the manager to live there full time. Or, the third option is to transfer in your current position to the Salt Lake City field office, which would be the closest we can get you to Barry, although it's eight-and-a-half hours to drive to him by car. We don't currently have an opening in Salt Lake City, or in any of the Montana operations offices, so you'd have to wait on that opening to occur. Again, that's based on your call about how you want to pursue your personal lives as compared to your professional lives.

Understand now the look of anger.

The Bureau has set me up to force me to New Orleans and is using Dave as leverage to “make” me go there.

Bastards.

It isn't enough you've caused me to give up my life and my sons? Wipe out my identity? Now you're trying to use Dave to manipulate me to take this job as your informant. Son-of-a-bitch....” I'm so angry, my voice is just a growl.

The A.D. holds up his hand in a “stop” motion. “No, no, no.” He's shaking his head. “I'm just presenting the options as I see them. And in my thinking, New Orleans would give you the chance to stay together, and you'd be providing a valuable service. David is not a hostage to your choice. You'd both benefit more—in my analysis—with the selection of New Orleans.” He smiles, trying to defuse my anger.

No anger defusion here—or on Dave's part. Dave is biting his lip trying to keep from exploding. Never seen him this angry.

Sid, this is totally unfair of you to put this kind of pressure on Barry. He's got enough on his plate. To tie me to his decision is way beyond what I'd expected from a professional—or from a friend.” Dave's eyes are flashing fire as he stands while Sid's face is flat; expressionless.

Barry and I will think about this over the weekend. And we'll get back to you before your deadline. I believe this meeting is over. Thanks for the beer.”

And with that, my big lug of a lawman grabs my hand, turns, and we walk away as Sid sits speechless.

But what are we walking toward?

Sorry for the delay in getting this out--yeah, life does happen! LOL! But hoping to be back on "schedule" with a new chapter release every 5 days.
Special thanks to my editor and beta readers for the fast turn-around on this. They're superb!
Please let me know what you think in the comments, or even just "likes" or "follow this story". It really means a lot! And, THANK YOU for sticking with the story!
Copyright © 2015 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Interesting that Dave and Barry got so angry, I thought the bar offer was great. Oh, well if they see it as manipulation, I suppose their reaction is understandable, but I hope they see sense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

My gut reaction? I think the FBI is being manipulative. They want eyes and ears in that bar and Dave being in New Orleans would be a good way to get Barry there. Dave would take the transfer to be with Barry and make sure he's protected. I can understand the anger at being manipulated. Barry has also sacraficed a lot already. That being said...the Billings (it was Billings?) job would be in Barry's field and he could live a quiet and safe life, but I can't see Barry living a quiet life in the long term. The bar would give him some excitement..and likely a home with Dave.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/01/2015 11:29 PM, Timothy M. said:
Interesting that Dave and Barry got so angry, I thought the bar offer was great. Oh, well if they see it as manipulation, I suppose their reaction is understandable, but I hope they see sense.
Hard to know whether the FBI is being manipulative or not. Sid did protest that he was only trying to point out all the sides of both locations.

Or was Barry and Dave's anger simply because they've been in such an emotionally charged situation in dealing with Barry's new face/depression/paranoia/relationship questions--and Sid walked into that minefield not fully aware of the emotions there? We'll see in the next chapters.

Thanks for the review and following along!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/02/2015 12:08 AM, LitLover said:
My gut reaction? I think the FBI is being manipulative. They want eyes and ears in that bar and Dave being in New Orleans would be a good way to get Barry there. Dave would take the transfer to be with Barry and make sure he's protected. I can understand the anger at being manipulated. Barry has also sacraficed a lot already. That being said...the Billings (it was Billings?) job would be in Barry's field and he could live a quiet and safe life, but I can't see Barry living a quiet life in the long term. The bar would give him some excitement..and likely a home with Dave.
Lit, it seems like an obvious set up--but, there's no way to know at this point (see my comments to Timothy on this). Think you're right--Barry seems to like both the energy of a bigger city and a public life. Having Dave there is obviously a major plus. And yet, is he ready to "settle down" to a quieter life after all of this? Billings certainly offers lots of advantages, and is a great town on it's own. Suspect he could be happy in either location--but it's a decision only he can make.

Thanks for the comments--I appreciate your following the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Exactly the kind of manipulation I'd expect! They are using the guys as pawns on a chess board. If they go to New Orleans, Barey is going to get found out. There is no way he won't. In fact, I'm guessing they know that. Oh, so much intrigue. Fantastic new twist that offers so much grist for the mill. Great job Robert!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Oh geez...trust the government to come up with a 'smile' and a 'knife' (for the back) to 'help' poor Barry and to keep Dave in service!! They both should be just as livid as they seem to be, maybe more!! Enough is never enough, I suppose... :/ This chapter was awesome, and not to worry about us waiting...we'd wait for what we know will be sooooo worth it!!! :worship:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/02/2015 02:56 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Exactly the kind of manipulation I'd expect! They are using the guys as pawns on a chess board. If they go to New Orleans, Barey is going to get found out. There is no way he won't. In fact, I'm guessing they know that. Oh, so much intrigue. Fantastic new twist that offers so much grist for the mill. Great job Robert!
Thanks, Cole!

I keep looking at Sid, wondering his real motives. If the government wants him found, what would they gain from Barry being discovered? Or is he being used as bait to draw out more bad guys? Or is Sid really just trying to do a full analysis and has to work within Dave's current career path?

Glad you're enjoying the story, buddy....thanks for following along!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/02/2015 03:07 AM, Onim said:
Oh geez...trust the government to come up with a 'smile' and a 'knife' (for the back) to 'help' poor Barry and to keep Dave in service!! They both should be just as livid as they seem to be, maybe more!! Enough is never enough, I suppose... :/ This chapter was awesome, and not to worry about us waiting...we'd wait for what we know will be sooooo worth it!!! :worship:
Awesome? Thanks!

We'll see how Barry and Dave handle this new development in the next chapter--and maybe Sid's motives (if there ARE motives) will become clear.

Thanks for the kind words!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The carrot and stick approach does seem a bit obvious on the part of the FBI and Barry and Dave clearly saw through the motives of the AD and the Bureau. Still, there are the upsides and it is worth considering.....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/02/2015 05:26 AM, Daddydavek said:
The carrot and stick approach does seem a bit obvious on the part of the FBI and Barry and Dave clearly saw through the motives of the AD and the Bureau. Still, there are the upsides and it is worth considering.....
I keep replaying that scene of Sid going over the pros and cons of both jobs....and wondering what I'm missing. Was Sid really trying to be a friend and think things through for them? Or, what ulterior motive could the FBI have in setting up Barry and Dave for problems?

Thanks for the comments, Daddy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another great chapter, my friend! I loved how Barry and Dave were a team against the AD. That was a nice way to end a chapter where the FBI kick's Barry when he's down. Your portrayal of Barry's scattered thoughts was masterful. Frantic and frenetic, but with a determination to see it through. He needs to get better not just for his sake but for Dave's too...for them. His willingness to go on medication shows that. Even in such a fragile state, Barry is still a man that does what needs to be done. He has something to fight for, after losing everything else, he can't afford to lose what he has with Dave. They've been forced into a corner, but I feel like it unites them even more. At this point, they really don't have a choice, but it doesn't mean that at some point, that can't just break away. I think the FBI could be playing with fire when it comes to a strong and healed Barry. He made them play his tune once...Cheers... Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Fucking awesome chapter! Another great plot twist under your belt and this one could lead to an entire separate novel if you so wanted.

No matter what they decide, I'm sure you'll make it work out, Just for kicks and giggles I'd love to have Barry pick Montana and Dave tell the AD to take the job and shove it, he'll apply to the Billings Police Department for a job.

Even if they do want New Orleans they could turn the tables on the FBI and squeeze them for whatever the fuck they want!

If they decide on the Big Easy, can I apply for a job at the bar? I promise to wear 'biker drag' all the time so we can capture that segment of the population! :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Bastard! Well done as always. I hope you are planning something unpleasant to that prick of an assistant director. An Alligator encounter is an early thought comes to mind!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/02/2015 06:16 AM, Headstall said:
Another great chapter, my friend! I loved how Barry and Dave were a team against the AD. That was a nice way to end a chapter where the FBI kick's Barry when he's down. Your portrayal of Barry's scattered thoughts was masterful. Frantic and frenetic, but with a determination to see it through. He needs to get better not just for his sake but for Dave's too...for them. His willingness to go on medication shows that. Even in such a fragile state, Barry is still a man that does what needs to be done. He has something to fight for, after losing everything else, he can't afford to lose what he has with Dave. They've been forced into a corner, but I feel like it unites them even more. At this point, they really don't have a choice, but it doesn't mean that at some point, that can't just break away. I think the FBI could be playing with fire when it comes to a strong and healed Barry. He made them play his tune once...Cheers... Gary
Barry may be having hard times, but the show's not done yet--and think Barry and Dave may come back strong. Barry's paranoia about their relationship seems to be settled for the moment, and the decisions ahead may make them stronger as a couple.

Thanks for the kind words, Gary!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/02/2015 07:58 AM, Dathi said:
Bastard! Well done as always. I hope you are planning something unpleasant to that prick of an assistant director. An Alligator encounter is an early thought comes to mind!
Dathi, think the A.D.'s intentions will become clearer shortly....hang on!

Thanks for the comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/02/2015 07:03 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Fucking awesome chapter! Another great plot twist under your belt and this one could lead to an entire separate novel if you so wanted.

No matter what they decide, I'm sure you'll make it work out, Just for kicks and giggles I'd love to have Barry pick Montana and Dave tell the AD to take the job and shove it, he'll apply to the Billings Police Department for a job.

Even if they do want New Orleans they could turn the tables on the FBI and squeeze them for whatever the fuck they want!

If they decide on the Big Easy, can I apply for a job at the bar? I promise to wear 'biker drag' all the time so we can capture that segment of the population! :D

Carlos, Barry could certainly look at Montana--as you recall Dave was from Wyoming, and loves outdoor living, so that may be in the cards. And New Orleans certainly has possibilities--not the least of which would be having you in biker drag, dancing on the bar, or being friendly around the pool table with the patrons. You'd told me before how much you enjoyed pool table play, and you already have the harness and chaps.....

Seriously, think this could go either way, but know that our heroes are going to make the best of it all.

Glad ya liked the chapter--thanks for the comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm actually kind of surprised at David and Barry's response to the AD's proposal. It seems that the trip to the Big Easy is a slam- dunk with a win/win for all. Plus, I understand that there are some really nice folks down there. Jus' sayin'!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/03/2015 10:39 AM, CNJKevin said:
I'm actually kind of surprised at David and Barry's response to the AD's proposal. It seems that the trip to the Big Easy is a slam- dunk with a win/win for all. Plus, I understand that there are some really nice folks down there. Jus' sayin'!
Kevin, I don't know if they (over) reacted due to the emotionally stressful situation they're in with Barry's depressing/paranoia and Dave's concerns for him--or if they correctly read the situation as a setup to "force" Barry to New Orleans. For me, see it as a win/win, too....

And yeah, there's great folks in New Orleans--and a great life! ;)

Thanks for the comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Why do I have this odd feeling that the flat, and expressionless look on the A.D.'s face was covering up something deeper, and much more deceitful?

Once again you hit the mark Rex. Thanks for another good read!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/03/2015 12:19 PM, R J Drew said:
Why do I have this odd feeling that the flat, and expressionless look on the A.D.'s face was covering up something deeper, and much more deceitful?

Once again you hit the mark Rex. Thanks for another good read!

There's definately something going on with the A.D--is it malevolent? Or was he merely stunned by their response? That should get sorted out in the next chapter(s).

Thanks for the comments, and praise, RJ! I appreciate it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/23/2015 12:03 AM, flamingo136 said:
I don't trust the AD............Fast paced.......LOVE LOVE LOVE........:) Mike
I had the same feeling, Mike. The A.D. definately seemed to have an agenda. I'm convinced we'll find out the real reason for it later. I'm just as suspicious of those motives.

Really glad the story is keeping your interest! THANK YOU for the comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Maybe it's just me, yet I had a different perspective than some of the other's comments.  I got agitated for the AD and didn't see anything wrong on his part.  The FBI didn't take away Barry's old life or kids.  Frank's criminal actions did.  You've done a sharp job of winning us to Barry's side, and I'm there, on board with his 2nd chance to be a good man.  However, that doesn't always mitigate the consequences of all the small decisions and actions on Frank's part that put him on the slippery slope to being on the wrong side of the law and endangering his family and life.  It was also his choice to kill off "Frank" to protect his children, too.

 

That being said, the AD did walk into a storm of emotional chaos that Barry is struggling with daily.  Dave and Doc are coming alongside, but they just got in place to help more actively when the AD had no recourse but to bring in a tough choice for them to make due to a time crunch.  I'm sure there's more to it, but that's not all bad either when a perceived threat to Dave & Barry's future together teams them together, even when it affects Dave's career.  They are choosing each other over everything else.  To me, that's the beauty of your writing and the opening you've left for them to strive together to make the best decision for their future, regardless of where they live.  Barry needs help being the better man he wants to be, and Dave is a big part of that, so Dave's career was going to have to become part of the equation for them to be together, regardless.  IMHO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 3/1/2015 at 3:29 PM, Timothy M. said:

Interesting that Dave and Barry got so angry, I thought the bar offer was great. Oh, well if they see it as manipulation, I suppose their reaction is understandable, but I hope they see sense.

I also thought so. All things considered it is a good option. 

Link to comment
On 3/3/2015 at 2:39 AM, CNJKevin said:

I'm actually kind of surprised at David and Barry's response to the AD's proposal. It seems that the trip to the Big Easy is a slam- dunk with a win/win for all. Plus, I understand that there are some really nice folks down there. Jus' sayin'!

Agreed. Especially since the major option for Barry was prison. 

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..