Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 1,373 Words
  • 730 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Nick, A Story in the Style of Film Noir - 5. Chapter 5 - The Family

Chapter 5 - The Family

On the drive over to see Uncle Stavros at his company headquarters, located it the back of one of his restaurants, I filled in Steve about my family and Uncle Stavros. “My mom married my dad against the will of her family. She is from a big, traditional Greek family and they definitely didn’t see my Irish dad as a good match. I hear things were pretty icy when she came home married and pregnant. Still, they gave my dad a job driving trucks for one of the family businesses, arranged for an apartment, helped them get started. My dad died when I was real little, I barely remember him. That’s when Uncle Stavros stepped in. Even back then, he was head of the family. Uncle Stavros made sure my mom and me were taken care of, included and protected. He made sure I spent time with my cousins and personally took an interest in me. Even as a little kid I knew I was different from the rest of them. I’m this scrawny blond kid in amongst a hoard of dark, tough Greek kids. Still, I was family and that is all that counted.

One of my best childhood memories was weekends at the lake with just the guys of the family. Uncle Stavros and my other uncles, all the men and boy cousins, there must have been thirty of us, hanging out in a cabin, swimming, hiking, eating. Boy did we eat. Uncle Stavros is a man of huge appetites and insisted on great food, huge amounts of great food. Considering he owns five restaurants and several food-related businesses, it was an important part of his life.

And his appetites include more than food. While the woman of the family pretend not to know, Uncle Stavros always has a mistress. Sometimes I think he takes these women on as much to help them – like he did me. Nonetheless, he is quietly famous for his sexual powers.”

We had arrived at the restaurant. It was before opening, so the seating area was still dark. I pushed through the doors and let Steve in ahead of me. Before our eyes could adjust to the dark, several men stepped in behind us, their presence menacing. Steve whirled around reaching for his pistol. I was able to restrain him just in time for in the next instant, one of the men had grabbed me in a bear hug.

“Nicky! You’ve haven’t been by in months. Where you been? Who’s the stiff?”

I turned to Steve, “My cousin Gus. And Constantine, Naxos, and Chuck. Is Uncle Stavros in?”

“Sure, he’s in the back. You know the way.”

As I led Steve through the darkened space, he said, “This place looks like the mob headquarters in a bad movie. A good thing you stopped me when you did. I thought we were in trouble.”

“Despite my cousins’ pretensions to be tough guys, Uncle Stavros runs a perfectly legitimate business – if you don’t look too closely.”

I pushed through the double doors into a large office. There behind a massive desk was equally massive Uncle Stavros. He looked up, saw me, ran around the desk and enveloped me in my second family hug of the day. “Nicky, Nicky. Its been too long. Are you all right? Is that police captain treating you right? How’s my building? Your mother says you never visit her. Who’s this guy?” referring to Steve with a quizzical lift of an eyebrow.

“Uncle Stavros, this is Steve, my friend.”

Uncle Stavros turned and looked Steve over from top to bottom. “Gus, come and take, uh, Steve, for some coffee. I want to talk to Nicky, alone.” Gus appeared and took Steve, who looked back to me with desperation in his eyes, back into the restaurant.

“So, this Steve? He’s your friend? Like Brad?”

“We really just met. I don’t know where it’s going. We had a rough start, but things have been working out ok since.”

Uncle Stavros examined my face, unspoken questions crossing his own. “Ok, but be careful. Your mother and I want to see you settled down. We all liked Brad, but that’s your business. Now, as much as I want to believe you came by to see me, I suspect you’ve got something else on your mind.”

“Thanks for your concern. I know you mean well and I’ll let you know when its time for wedding invitations. And, yeah, I’ve need a little information on the local business scene. Do you know the Winston Street Theatre?”

“Sure I know it. It’s been closed for years. Neighborhood’s businesses are pretty much closed down since the mall opened on the interstate. One of my regular customers is still down there, on the same block I think.” He paused to pull a large, old-fashioned ledger book from a desk drawer. It took him only a minute to find the entry he sought. “Yes, here it is. The Minos deli, run by Frank. This is odd. If you hadn’t asked, I might have missed this. Frank was about out of business six months ago, judging by the drop off of orders. Then it suddenly picks up in April and it’s still increasing. Very odd. I wonder who could be in that part of town. I don’t suppose you’re going to fill me in.”

“Thanks for the info, Uncle Stavros,” I said, my eyes avoiding his.

“Anything for my Nicky, you know that. By the way, that fellow staying up at the lake, you said he was a friend of yours. Does the new fellow know about him?”

“Eddie is a good friend, but we’re not seeing each other. I appreciate your helping me and him out. Do you think you could arrange for the Sheriff to check on him? He got too close to some trouble down here.”

“Sure, the Sheriff owes me. I’ll give him a call and make sure he’s got someone checking on things.”

I got up to leave. “And Nicky, don’t be away so long. I miss you.” He came around the desk again and hugged me to him, kissing my cheek. I had to think again how lucky I was to have my family, particularly Uncle Stavros.

***

When I stepped into the dining room, I spotted Steve backed into the corner of a booth with my cousins hemming him in. He was looking kind of ill. Cousin Gus leaned toward him speaking softly, “Remember what we’ve talked about – right? Okay Connie, let him out. And Nicky, you remember your family and stop by, right?”

Steve leaped out of the booth and all but ran up to me. He discretely urged me to head out the door. I held him back. “Connie, can I borrow your pickup for a couple of days?”

“Sure, Nicky, you know anytime.” He tossed me the keys. “It’s right outside. Want me to take in your Jag for servicing? I’ll bet it could use it.” A great family.

As Steve and I cleared the doors to the outside, Steve spoke through gritted teeth, “Don’t ever leave me alone with your family like that.”

“What?”

“And what took you so long?”

“What?”

“I realize its because they really love you and care for you, but if they threaten all your prospective beaus like they did me, you’re in for a lonely life. Jeez. They made it very clear that if I ever hurt you, in any way, well, I can’t bear to repeat their plans. I’m going to have nightmares over this. And I think I’m a pretty tough guy.”

I felt all the pleasure of the security of my enveloping family and was amused at how they had gotten to Steve. “I suppose you’ll be treating me nicely from now on.”

“I thought I’ve been treating you nicely since, you know, since we, uh, you know, connected.”

I simply smirked with satisfaction as Steve squirmed nervously. I reached out to pull him toward me and planted a big kiss. A tapping sound came from the window behind us – my cousins were watching closely. They waved at me and scowled at Steve.

“Let’s get out of here,” Steve urged.

End of Chapter 5
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..