Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 2,743 Words
  • 1,790 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The People of the Forest - 10. Chapter 10

Chapter 10 - The City of Cliffs

Out next day’s journey brought us within sight of the City of Cliffs. It stood high above the valley, built to the edge of the sheer cliffs of its name. It was a formidable fortress, approachable only up a steep, jaggedly winding road. Defensive towers guarded a plaza at the gates. We resolved to wait until the following morning before mounting to the city and announcing our official mission, not wanting to venture up the precipitous entrance road in the gathering dusk.

Our camp that night was very tense, each of us with his own anxieties. While the intentions of the leaders of the City of Cliffs were unknown and might well be friendly, the imposing nature of the city’s appearance filled me with foreboding. Taking council with the captain of our tiny force, I resolved to leave our guards and baggage in camp and ascend with only Trevor, Gar and Tro.

These last two would be disguised as my beasts according to Cambion’s plan. Gar readily assumed the iron collar, holding the heavy length of chain in his hands. Tro held the collar in trembling hands. Even though the collar had been cleverly made with a soft lining and an easy catch, I could see Tro’s struggle with this symbol of his debasement.

“Tro, I ask this only for our king and his heir. I cannot but imagine the pain it must bring you.”

With a resolute look, Tro put on the collar. He stood tall and proud, though with a look of menace and ferocity beyond my greatest fears. It was only when he turned to give Trevor a kiss that I realized that his look was assumed for his part and not in anger toward me. I donned my ambassadorial robes and took up the ends of the chains. We began our ascent to the City of Cliffs.

Morning had come with a shroud of mist hovering over the city. We could not see our destination as we had the previous evening, though the path led only to the city gates.

Trevor asked as we walked, “Wasn’t Tro bound hand and foot when he came to our city?”

“You make a good point, Trevor. I am counting on the minimal bonds of Gar and Tro to indicate my superior control and power over them. It will be their performance that lends that credence. In any case, I can only just bare to have Tro in the collar, it asks too much.” Tro turned to me and stroked my cheek gently. “Thank you, Tro.” Gar turned and looked at me with contrived hautiness. “Yes, thank you, too Gar, but I think it is not the same burden for you.” Gar used the chain to pull me toward him and kissed me playfully.

“I also look forward to having this business done, so we can get back to loving. In the meantime, onward,” I ordered with affected authority.

***

After a strenuous climb we arrived at the plaza, a broad platform bordered only by a sheer drop and the vertical walls of the city. While the space could accommodate a fair number of people, the single, narrow road and lack of any cover left it vulnerable to defenders upon the walls.

Gar and Tro began their show of ferocity as we emerged from the mist into the plaza. I held their chains to restrain them, thankful for their devotion as their strength greatly dwarfed mine and could easily have overpowered me. Trevor stood at my side holding the emblems of my office. It was but a moment before a guard challenged us from atop a tower. I explained that I was the ambassador from the City of the Walls, come to speak with his city’s council. The City of Cliffs was governed by a body of citizens, not a king as was customary in our lands. This made them both the subject of suspicion and envy, particularly among those cities with less benevolent kings than my own. The guard called for us to wait while he summoned the proper authority.

I could feel many eyes peering down at us through windows and arrow slits, though saw no one. After a time the gates opened showing a small gathering of five men. Each wore ornaments of office, though judging by how they lay askew, the chains and badges had been hastily put on. A large man stepped forward.

“Welcome, Your Excellency. Our council is curious as to the honor of this visit.” He eyed our small party warily, particularly Gar and Tro who strained against the chains I held.

“We come on behalf of the King of the City of Walls. There are events afoot across the land and he would know how you stand,” I replied.

“You may enter our city, but what of these beasts? Have I your assurance that none will come to harm?”

Tro reached out, grabbing Trevor by the ankle, pulling him to his chest. Trevor cried out with surprise and apparent fear. “Hold!” I shouted. With a snarl, Tro glared at me. I tugged at the chain. Tro released Trevor grudgingly. “I’ll answer for them for they will obey me,” I uttered threateningly. Tro looked chastised yet surly.

We were admitted to the city and led to a great hall. The officials took positions in a row of chairs on a raised dais at one end. The assembled crowd kept their distance from Gar and Tro, who grappled and wrestled, making angry noises. I stilled them with a word. Their head man look relieved then gestured for me to speak.

“Members of the Counsel, I bring greetings from the King of the City of Walls. A short time past, we were visited by a host bearing arms from the City of the Deep Valley.”

“Yes, we too saw them in the plain below our cliffs,” responded the head man.

“Subsequently, we have been visited by an ambassador of that place who implied threats and asked for tribute.”

The members of the Counsel murmured among themselves, but did not respond in our hearing.

I continued. “My king asks how the City of the Cliffs would respond to aggression and if his city can depend upon our mutual support, pursuing peace if possible.

Again a murmuring. The head man stood to address our party. “Your Excellency, we, too pursue peace, wishing most of all to be left alone and untroubled by the struggles of low landers. Still your king deserves our deliberation prior to making a reply. Be warned that the opinions of many will likely be expressed and our way is of consensus. We offer you hospitality while we convene.” He gestured toward an officious person near the entrance and indicated that we should follow him to the offered accommodation.

The official led us up many winding stairs until we reached a spacious room in a high tower. We entered through the only door. A row of narrow windows looked out into space. Only when approaching near could one see the ground far below. This tower must be perched on the edge of the cliff. Still the room was comfortably furnished with a fire on the hearth to warm us. Food and drink waited on a table to one side.

The official addressed me, “Your Excellency, in all likelihood you will be our guest until tomorrow. Our deliberations progress slowly. Please be comfortable.” He looked warily at Gar and Tro. “Do your, uh, beasts require anything?”

With a fearsome snarl, Gar leapt across the room toward the man, allowing him just enough time to flee through the door. It banged shut and bolts were thrown across from the outside. We were locked in.

I feared perfidy of our hosts. I tried to speak calming words to my fellow captives, suggesting that the bolted door had no specific meaning. Time passed slowly. I examined the windows looking to see if they offered any possible means of escape should my fears be realized. They were even narrower than I had realized. My chest and shoulders were too wide to squeeze through. Gar and Tro would certainly not fit. As day turned to night, I admitted the worst, we had been imprisoned.

It was then that Trevor stepped up. “I can fit through the window, I’m sure,” he claimed. He stood on the sill, proving that with an effort he could squeeze through.

“You’ll fall to your death once you’re out,” I cautioned.

Trevor poked his head out calling back, “There is a chink in the wall that could be a handhold. It’s out of my reach, but Gar or Tro could swing me up to it. From there I think I can get to a balcony.”

I tried to see by sticking my head out the adjoining window. I could see the small gap that Trevor pointed out. I also saw the precipitous drop to jagged rocks far below.

“Trevor, I cannot allow you to risk yourself like this. We will have to stay and find out what the Counsel has in mind.”

“Face it Simon,” Trevor returned, “they are either in league with the lord of the Deep Valley or planning to exchange us for promises of protection. Escape is our only chance to complete the king’s mission. I have to try.”

I embraced him, full of admiration for his courage and ingenuity. Trevor again stepped to the sill, calling for Tro to come to him. As he began to squeeze out, Tro pulled him back, barring the window.

Trevor pleaded with him. “Tro, I’ve got to do this. Please help me.”

Tro refused, surely fearing the danger to his newly found lover.

Gar approached Tro, grasping his shoulders to assure him. Trevor again stepped on the sill of the second window indicating that Gar should lean out the one nearest the chink in the wall's face. Tro turned away, too afraid to watch. Gar leaned as far into the window as his massive torso would allow, extending his arm toward Trevor. Trevor could not reach, but before I could haul him back he leapt out the window. Tro and I called out in alarm but Gar caught him securely.

“Gar, thank god you caught me. Now swing me back and forth to build some momentum. When I say let go, release me. I can do this.”

I leaned as far out the window as I could to witness Trevor’s bravery. At Trevor’s signal, Gar began to swing Trevor back and forth across the sheer face of the tower. On the third swing Trevor shouted ‘now’. Gar released his grip. I watched as Trevor flew in an arc, scrabbling to find a hold on the tiny gap. Somehow his fingers found purchase. He hung for a moment searching for the balcony. With surprising grace, Trevor pushed off the wall and dropped to the balcony. My cry of relief reassured my companion giants, who were consumed with anxiety, unable to fit through the windows to watch.

It was less than a minute when we heard the bolts being drawn and the door open. Trevor entered the room in triumph. “There is no sign of a guard. They must be very confident of the security of the tower. I spotted a way onto the city battlements. I think we could get near the gate. He led our band out of the room. We made our way as discretely as one could with our two massive companions as Trevor led. Our path took us near the hall where the city folk were gathered. Through the windows we could hear a small portion of the discussion. It was clear after only a few words that Trevor was right, they had planned to bargain our lives with the Lord of the Deep Valley.

We hurried on until our way was blocked by a guard house. Gar looked over the side of the wall for a moment, then disappeared over the side. I tried not to be alarmed. A moment later, his head appeared. He gestured for us to follow. He had found a series of breaks in the wall’s surface made by a long ago battle. The war engines must have been mighty to make even these small marks into the strong stone. While the handholds were within Gar and Tro’s reach, they exceeded my own and certainly Trevor’s. Gar saw me pause, then realized the difficulty. He climbed over the edge and signaled me to ride on his back. Trevor climbed onto Tro and thus we were able to escape.

We were barely on the ground when a great turmoil could be heard from within the walls. Our escape had been discovered. Anger was drown out by incredulity. Our escape was thought to be impossible. We stood back from the wall so as to be visible to the gathering crowd atop city’s wall.

“What word have you for the King of the City of Walls?” I shouted.

There was the usual murmuring, evidently about our magical powers needed to escape. Gar signaled to Tro. Together they roared and gestured terrifyingly. The crowd on the wall vanished. The head man appeared, apparently being pushed into view against his will.

“We meant you no harm, Your Excellency,” he called, fear in his voice.

I replied, “The words of your counsel give lie to that statement.”

“Please understand our dilemma, we do not wish the City of the Walls harm.”

“And yet you would bargain our lives for your own safety. That may be a choice you later regret,” I warned.

“Won’t you come inside so we can find reason among us?” He offered obsequiously.

Trevor touched my arm and spoke softly, “They know they can’t capture us, so he’s trying to delay us. Perhaps he has sent ahead to the Lord of the Deep Valley. We had best get on our way or we could be trapped on this narrow road.”

Taking Trevor’s advice, I responded to the head man, “We must decline your offer. Consider the consequences any form of alliance with the Lord of the Deep Valley may bring. You know our king to be fair minded, peace loving and honest. He is not, however, tolerant of treachery. Do as you must. Farewell.”

We began our descent slowly to maintain an appearance of ease. We had not gone far when a cloud of dust could be seen far away on the road. We sped up our descent, realizing that the cloud of dust was being raised by a large number of men rushing toward the narrow approach to the City of Cliffs. We were being cut off. Gar grabbed me about the waist and bounded off the side of the cliff, Tro followed suit with Trevor. Instead of falling, we dangled in midair, Gar and Tro having grabbed a branch of long dead tree protruding from the cliff face. Moments later a jumble of men, heavily armed rushed past, ascending to the City of Cliffs by the way we had just come down. Gar and Tro swung us back onto the road. We ran the remainder of the way down to our meeting place with our escort.

I informed the captain of all that had happened in the city. He replied, “Sir, I am relieved that you have escaped. I feared you were pursued when that army passed. During the day, a man raced down from the City of Cliffs and then off to the west, toward the Valley of the Deep. We must move on, once they discover you are gone, they will pursue us.”

We set out at once, eager to get as much lead as we could. The mountains came to an abrupt end after two hours of hurried walking the landscape opening into a broad plain. We took a circuitous route along the edge of the mountains away from the road toward a forest just visible in the far distance. It was much further than I had first thought, taking us until well into the night to find shelter among the trees.

I didn’t know if we had been pursued, only that I had not seen our pursuers the many times I looked back. Fortunately, our route was in the general direction of the City of the River. We rested until dawn, then set out for our next destination. I wondered what our reception there would be.

End of Chapter 10
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..