Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 4,631 Words
  • 984 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The People of the Forest - 4. Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - The Summons

In the early light of dawn, I woke to Gar sitting up howling. His anguished cry was matched by all the voices of the other People of the Forest.

As I opened my mouth to ask Gar why he cried out, it hit me. The circlet around my neck felt as if it burned red hot. I clutched at it with my hands, but they were not burned. Gar touched my hands and said, “king.”

“The king is in danger? Is that why you cried out?”

Gar nodded.

“The legends tell us that the circlet was worn as a memory of how the People of the Forest were summoned by the king. My time among you has awoken the link to the king. We must go to him.”

Gar nodded his ascent. We raced to the grove where we met a vast assembly of People of the Forest. All were agitated. The eldest approached Gar and I. “Go.”

“Yes, we will go to the king. I am of his house,” I said touching the circlet. “We will go to him to see the cause of his distress. You will be summoned when we know what can be done.”

Gar bowed to the elder, then embraced him in their way. I followed his example. Gar took off into the forest. I chased him. He led me into the trees, over streams, through rivers. We paused only briefly to grab food as we passed, to drink from the streams. The moon set early and we had to stop in the near perfect darkness. Gar wrapped himself around me, but I fear he did not sleep. His heart pounded with anxiety over the king and frustration at having to pause our journey. In the first gray light he roused me to dash on.

We soon arrived at the road near where my party had been attacked. I saw the only remaining evidence, a group of mounds at one side of the road. I grabbed Gar’s hand, forcing him to stop. I pointed at the mounds. “Did your people bury them?” Gar nodded sadly. He hugged me a moment, then released me, grasping my hand and leading me at a run along the road. I have no clear idea of the distance we covered, but I have no doubt Gar had led us as directly and speedily as possible.

In the late morning the great gate of the City of Walls came into sight. The land around the city’s walls had long been cleared. The land had been carefully tended so that it was perfectly smooth such that no one could approach the walls without being seen. A sentry at each corner had full command of all approaches, save one, where a thin line of the forest was allowed to stand, adjoining the king’s wood inside the walls. Ironically, the line of trees was called the Way to the Forest. I had never heard that explained and having heard it since my birth, gave no thought as to the meaning.

We crossed the open space at a jog. I was nearing the end of my strength. Gar encouraged me to press on. I could see activity on the wall above the gate. This was unusual. As we approached the gate the sentry called out “Halt. Who comes to the City of the Walls and what is your business here?”

Gar stood in amazement, looking at the high wall, disappearing into the distance in both directions, pierced by the lone gate.

I returned the sentry’s challenge. “I am Simon Courtley, of this place. I come concerning the welfare of the king.”

“Simon Courtley is known to me. You are not he. And who is this giant who accompanies you?” responded the sentry.

“It is I, though I am changed. This is my companion, Gar.”

Voices were heard atop the wall.

A face peered over the edge. “You say you are Simon Courtley?”

I recognized the face and voice. “Cambion, it is I, your friend. Grant us entry.”

“The voice I recognize. I cannot see your face for all that fur upon it. Wait there.”

Minutes later the gate opened and a young man closely followed by would be guards in ill-fitting armor chased after him, frequently dropping their arms as they struggled along. The young man ignored his protectors and came to stand directly in front of us. He looked at me closely, his face full of questions.

“The Simon Courtley I have known all my life was a head shorter than I, waif thin and as hairless as a maid. You, sir, are a near giant yourself, hirsute and powerful. The voice sounds truly of Simon. I am puzzled.”

“Cambion. It is me,” I insisted. “I have been among the People of the Forest and it has changed me. But it is me. I will prove it.”

“How?”

“Something from our boyhood that no one else could know.”

“Well?”

“In our sixteenth year, you fancied a young woman at court.”

“I fancied many.”

“Avrene.”

‘Many knew I fancied her.”

“You feared that your youth and inexperience threatened your success in wooing her.”

“And?”

“You sought to improve your skill at kissing.”

“Where?”

“In the tall tower near the garden.”

“My god, it is you, Simon.” Cambion embraced me. “Would that she were so sweet to kiss as you. How is it you left with your brother and a party to the City by the Salt Sea and return so changed, naked and in the company of this great hulking man?”

“I have much to tell you, but we are in fear for the well being of the king. Can we talk as we go to him?” Gar stepped from foot to foot with anxiety.

“Yes, come. Is this one safe?”

“He is my companion in all ways. He is one of the People of the Forest, as the ancient tales told us. He comes to protect and serve the king.”

Gar came to a halt before the gate, staring up at the opening, fear across his face.

“Gar, my companion has always lived in the open,” I explained taking Gar’s hand and leading him through the gate. The people of the crowded city stared at our group, a son of the king and two large naked men. Some faces were known to me, but they did not return my wave, not looking at my face to recognize me. We sped toward the house of the king as fast as we could walk through the streets full of people.

“Cambion, there is much agitation. What has happened?”

“There is much amiss. The king is gravely ill. My brother, the heir, has been in the Deep Valley for over a year. I fear for him. And two days ago, a great army I am told from the Deep Valley approached the walls of our city. They made a great noise, but did not threaten or attack. If their goal was to intimidate, they succeeded mightily. But what of your tale of the People of the Forest? Surely that is only a legend.”

“You see before you the proof.” I pointed to Gar staring wildly at the massed buildings we passed. He clung to my hand like a terrified child. How different this was from the serene forest where he had always lived.

“And you are changed. How is this?”

“I did not realize how much I had changed until you and I met, just now. Gar saved me after our party had been attacked. All were killed save me. I believe the king’s circlet stopped them from killing me outright, but I was gravely injured. Gar came, rescued me and restored me to health. I have been with him almost a month. Two days ago, we received a summons to come to the aid of the king. And we are here.”

We had arrived at the gates of the king’s house. Cambion pushed past guards to enter, signaling that Gar and I should be allowed in. Strange that there should be guards. Our city had not known crime in living memory. The king had walked among his subjects without fear. So much had changed in the city, as it had with me.

“So the legends are true? The People of the Forest are attached to the king in some way,” Cambion speculated.

“As are we. I too received the summons, but through the circlet. I believe my time among the People of the Forest has awoken in me a new awareness.”

At the door of the king’s chambers we were halted by the chamberlain. “Cambion, your father is gravely ill. You cannot take these creatures in to him.”

“Chamberlain, we can discuss this later, but I believe the king sent for them.”

“How, no message has left these walls. And they are naked.”

“The legends of old are coming true in our time. Please make way.”

A quavering voice reached them from behind the door. “Who wishes to see me?”

Cambion pushed past the Chamberlain. “Father, Simon Courtley and a companion have come. Please see them.”

“Simon? Your boyhood friend?”

“The same father, though he is greatly changed. He claims that he and his companion are responding to your summons.”

“Bring them in.”

“But sire, they are naked,” whined the Chamberlain

“My father has seen naked men before.”

As Gar and I entered, the king sat up in his bed. “It is true then. The People of the Forest can still hear my call. Come closer, Simon Courtley. Present your companion and tell me of how you came here.”

“Sire, this is Gar.” Gar stepped behind me, placing a hand on my shoulder. “He saved me from death and has been my protector. He is one of the People of the Forest. I have been among them and have been embraced by them.”

The king looked at me and Gar, then nodded knowingly. “And you have joined with him?”

“Yes, sire, we are one.”

“It shows on you both. Cambion must have told you of the threat to our city. With my health failing, I invoked the ancient ways, fearing that alone against an army, the city would be destroyed. It seems they meant to frighten us, and they did that. They have passed by, to frighten others. This cannot be without purpose. They mean to return someday to fight for what is not offered in tribute. I am old and my son and heir is in danger. The old legends said I had but to call and the People of the Forest would come. So it has come to pass.”

“Though I have been among the People of the Forest but a short time, I know you may rely upon their loyalty. Sire, what are your instructions for us? I have promised to inform the People of the Forest.”

“I do not yet know the intentions of the warlord of the Deep Valley. Our people have long been devoted to peace. I will not have our people also be aggressors. To be prudent, however, I ask for the help of all neighboring cities and the People of the Forest in maintaining peace, even if that means defending ourselves from the aggression of others. Please send word to the People of the Forest of my gratitude for their loyalty and my wish that they ready themselves to assist in our defense. Is this something your companion, Gar is it? can do?”

“Yes sire, we shall depart immediately.”

“Simon, I will need you here. I must hear all you have learned from your journey. But perhaps more importantly, I need you to study the old texts to understand the ancient relationship of the People of the Forest to the kings of the City of Walls.”

I felt Gar’s hand grip tightly on my shoulder, reacting to the king’s request.

“If you so direct, we will comply.”

The king must have detected the change in my voice and expression at his request. “My boy, am I to understand that you and your companion are only recently joined? I am sorry to ask you to separate, but I fear for my people and our business is urgent. Have Gar return immediately. I honor your relationship. Escort him to the gate, but return to me thereafter.”

I bowed to the king. He extended his hand for me to kiss. Gar kneeled before the king who touched his head in blessing.

***

Gar followed me out of the king’s chambers leaving Cambion with his father. I asked the Chamberlain if there was a room where Gar and I could speak in private. He showed us to an anteroom and left us, closing the door behind him.

I looked up into Gar’s troubled face. “Do you understand what the king has asked of you?” He nodded. “That you are to ask the People of the Forest to be ready but that the king seeks peace.” He nodded. Gar’s lower lip began to tremble. I hugged him close with my right arm and took his balls into my left, massaging the heavy orbs, taking comfort from the act as much as seeking to comfort him. “I already miss you, my love. Take the message and come back to me.” Gar kissed me. “My dear one, we haven’t made love for days, you must be in great need.” I continued massaging his balls. “I will ask the king’s permission to be with you when you return.” Gar kissed me passionately, showing his need matched by my own. “Hurry, Gar. Come back quickly.”

I held him about the waist as I guided him back through the gate to the edge of the forest. We embraced and kissed. He touched my chest and said “Gar love Si-mon” then was gone into the trees. I walked back to the gate, turning to look at the forest that had absorbed my love, wishing him a safe journey and speedy return.

***

On entering the gate, a merchant I had done business with before approached me. “Simon, you are naked. Please accept this modest robe to cover yourself.” He presented a fine linen robe to me. It was at this moment that I realized that the natural state I had become accustomed to with Gar would likely offend the modesty of my people. I accepted the robe gratefully, assuring the merchant of payment. “You are in service to the king, the city is buzzing about your return. It is my honor to help you.” We parted with an affectionate embrace.

I made my way back to the king’s house. The guards admitted me immediately and I returned to the king’s chambers. Cambion saw me outside the door and waved for me to enter.

“You are sad, my son, but he will soon return to you and that will be all the sweeter for the time apart.” Tthe king spoke with kindness. “Now tell me of your journey and all that has passed.”

I told the king the sad tale of how our party had been attacked and all killed, save me.

“I must meet with the families of those who were lost. I bear great pain over their loss.”

“Assure them of my gratitude for their sacrifice,” the king instructed me. “I suspect these attacks are related to the turmoil arising from the Deep Valley.”

I spoke briefly of how Gar had rescued me and restored me to health, though still marveled at the changes to my body that had resulted.

“That is much of why I ask you to research and understand the ancient stories. Much must be true, but no longer understood. Take this time in the archives to learn all you can. You shall be my representative to the People of the Forest.”

Cambion spoke up. “Simon, you always showed many traits of the People of the Forest. Little wonder that their influence grows in you. And this Gar of yours, ah that any of my own conquests loved me as he so clearly loves you.”

I told the king of what I had learned from the ruler of the City by the Salt Sea. That he too favored peace, but that he feared that lacking the defenses of our great walls and the lure of the riches from trading and the sea, that if the war lord should attack, he could do little. He would pay tribute. If, however, resistance was shown by the City of the Walls and others, he would support their efforts.

“A fair weather friend, I fear,” concluded the king. “But he must look to the interests and safety of his people. I will summon my other diplomats to understand how lay the intentions of the other cities. I don’t know how much time we have, but we must make the best of it. Alas, I am now tired and I see the chamberlain eager to have me rest. Cambion, will you represent me as Simon speaks to the families of those who were lost?”

Cambion somberly agreed to the task.

He and I had barely exited the king’s chambers when we were approached by these same families. Word of my return had spread through the city. They came for news. Cambion escorted us all to a private hall. I told them of the attack and the noble efforts of all to protect each other. The robbers were too powerful and our defense failed. I assured them that their loved ones had been duly buried with care. Among the weeping were expressions of gratitude for my sharing the story with them. Cambion shared the king’s words with them. It was the best of a very sad situation.

***

I told him I would return the next day to begin my research into the ancient myths of the People of the Forest. I begged leave of Cambion to visit my own family and to make myself more presentable to be in the king’s house. Cambion assured me that my service to the king made me presentable, only chiding me slightly over my beard and former nakedness.

On returning to my apartments, I found my father and grandmother waiting. “We heard of your return and wanted to greet you,” my father said. We embraced. He stepped back and looked up at me. “You’ve changed so much. I know you are my son, but you’ve changed.”

My grandmother took my hand. “Garfle, don’t you see what is plainly in front of you. Simon has connected with the People of the Forest. It was almost foretold by his height and his love. Surely he has been among them and that has wrought this change. He has become beautiful from their influence.”

“Grandmother is right, Father. I was saved from death and returned to health by one of them. In the course of just a month I have grown physically and in love.”

“You have joined with one?” my Father asked.

“Yes, Gar who saved me. He has taught me, cared for me, loved me. I am anxious for him now. The king sent him to ask the People of the Forest to prepare to assist us should war with the lord of the Deep Valley come to be. We pursue peace, but wish to be prepared. Gar and I have not been apart since he found me near death.”

“Gar?” asked my grandmother. “Another sign. Your father’s name ‘Garfle’ means ‘one who gives to Gar’.

“A coincidence, surely,” stated my father. “In any event, I am thankful that you have returned to us. I understand you have already seen the king and reported to him of your mission. Is it true that your party was all killed, save you?” I sadly confirmed this. “But you are saved and have come with news of great value to the king. Your brother is safe in the City by the Salt Sea?” I happily assured my father that this was so. “And this Gar, you will be with him?”

“I pray forever. Our connection is in all ways. Though he barely speaks, he tells my heart all.”

“It is to be Garfle. You will have your grandchildren from your other sons. From Simon you will have glory,” my grandmother declared.

“There is much to do to prepare for bad days ahead, Father. Your role as merchant will be more critical than ever.”

“You have been summoned to help another?”

“Yes, the king has asked me to be his representative to the People of the Forest. I am to study the ancient texts, to better understand the times of war long ago and how the People of the Forest protected our people and the king.”

“Then this you must do. When your Gar returns, please present us. I would know the one who has my son’s heart.”

“Thank you, Father, Grandmother. I will bring Gar to you when he returns. Thank you for your greeting to me. I will do my best to bring you honor. Now I must prepare to return to the king’s house to begin my study. I suppose I had best shave and find appropriate clothing, though I fear none of my old clothes will ever fit again.” My grandmother laughed, promising to make some robes that would fit my changed body. “Grandmother, it is the custom of the People of the Forest to be as in nature. I realize our society may not be prepared for such freedom. Could you also make a covering for Gar, as brief as possible, yet achieving some modesty?”

She assured me that she would do so. She made a meal for me as I washed and shaved. She served me with much loving attention, encouraging me to rest a while before returning to work.

All I could think of was Gar sprinting through the forest to tell his own people of the king’s request. I knew he understood the urgency, but that paled to the urgency in my heart for him to return. It took us two days to make the journey. Gar could certainly go faster without me. My heart would be in my throat until I held him again.

Duty called and I returned to the king’s house. I went to the wing of the house that contained the school I had attended with Cambion. I knew the library contained the king’s archives where the ancient texts were housed. I was met at the door by the head librarian who had taught me reading years before.

“Ah, Simon, here you are. The chamberlain told me that you would come. I had not expected you until tomorrow, but that is of no matter. My colleagues and I have begun preparations for your task. You shall have my own chamber for your work. It is bright and secure. You will not be disturbed. Please accompany me to the lower crypt.”

The librarian led me down many flights of stairs past great vaulted spaces filled with boxes containing all the writings of our people throughout the ages. At the deepest level we met with three other librarians who were sorting through piles of papers, some bound as books, some tied in bundles.

“Have you found it yet?” the librarian asked his colleagues.

“I have found a text that summarizes many others. It refers to an older summary yet that has not yet been found. I think we must get to the oldest possible if we are to see the story told as truth, not as a quaint and fading myth.”

“You are very wise,” I said with admiration.

“And you have been very brave, Simon. You do our school credit. We shall all be at your disposal in your research. Come brothers, let us take what we have found up so Simon can begin his work.”

We climbed back to the library level in a solemn procession, carrying the many bundles of material the librarians had found. I began reading the summarized text. It was organized into sections:

I. The King’s relationship to the People of the Forest

II. The People of the Forest among us

III. Making War

IV. Nature’s Guardians

V. Healing and the Life Force

I searched among the many papers, old vellum and sheepskins, to find the specific texts referred to in the summary. To my dismay, these were copies of copies. Most took the attitude that the information was only fairy tales, dismissive in tone, lacking the respect for the People of the Forest I held. Still, I persevered through the texts at hand.

The texts said that that the origins of the king’s family were of mixed blood with the People of the Forest. This could be seen in the great ages of many of the kings and the tradition of the king’s burial by them. The king was claimed by both our people and the People of the Forest. This was why they were linked to and protected the king.

The People of the Forest had once lived in the city. There had once been great swaths of forest in the city, of which only the King’s Wood remained. As the forest was cut down for the growing population and the building of houses, the People of the Forest retreated beyond the walls, needing a place of nature, not of man. Still, in the old times, many families had blood lines intertwined with the People of the Forest. While their great physiques were admired, these larger people were difficult to feed in the increasing scarcity. Further, their preference for loving their own sex was not broadly accepted. In time they ceased to intermingle, though traces of their bloodlines were sometimes seen among later generations.

The People of the Forest were dedicated to peace and avoided any manner of violence or confrontation, though when roused by a threat to the king, became formidable warriors. Combining their great strength with agility in moving across all terrains, they would disarm attackers from the periphery, binding their captives, and by stages, deprive attackers of their numbers. If necessary, in the extreme they could wield swords with deadly precision.

The People of the Forest were called ‘nature’s guardians’. They knew all the plants and animals as friends and never killed without purpose. They knew all the healing and beneficial plants and minerals and applied these to help the plants and animals, any needy person, and themselves.

Their great strength, long life, and abundant health were attributed to this knowledge. Yet there was another aspect to their healing arts. The People of the Forest recognized the life force in all things. The life force had male and female aspects which were included in all their healing. The male life force was conveyed in the semen of the People of the Forest and was often mixed into their potions and salves. By stimulating various parts of the man, the healing forces of the semen could be changed and focused. Some claimed that the semen could sooth pain or relax straining muscle.

***

I had certainly experienced this aspect both when Gar had given me his cum to swallow when I was wounded and when he inserted his massive organ into my mouth or ass. His own essence relaxed me so I could accommodate him, both to my benefit and pleasure and his too. I had been healed so quickly, now no doubt due to his sharing of his life force with me. That might explain how I had grown in stature, strength and hairiness. I was more eager than ever for his return, more hungry for his loving. I wanted to ask if what I had learned from the ancient texts was true.

End of Chapter 4
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..