Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 1,191 Words
  • 860 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The People of the Forest - 6. Chapter 6

Chapter 6 - A Boon for Gar

Gar and I settled into a domestic life together far different from what we had shared in the forest. We still spent our nights making love in the open air of my apartment’s terrace, but daytimes we spent apart, me in service to the king in the King’s House and Gar left to his own resources. My grandmother, Rosarch, visited with Gar each day and a few times took him on walks in the near neighborhood, but she reported that the noises, smells, and bustle of the city disturbed him. He would return to the terrace and gaze across the space toward the barely visible treetops of the King’s Wood only breaking his gaze if he sensed my return.

Day by day, Gar’s energy and enthusiasm faded. Rosarch commented about his wan appearance. And while his kisses were as loving and sincere, his lovemaking lacked its former ardor.

Rosarch took me aside one morning. “Simon, Gar suffers from your absence. The forest is an integral part of his health. I fear for him if he stays here.”

“Grandmother, I cannot abandon my duty to king. Neither can I give up my own love. What can I do?”

Rosarch pondered for a moment. Her face brightened as she spoke. “You must ask a boon of the king. You must ask if Gar may visit the King’s Wood each day as you are at the King’s House. Perhaps this small return to nature will affect a cure for Gar.”

I gathered Rosarch into a hug. “Thank you for your wisdom, Grandmother. I shall ask today. Please don’t tell Gar yet in the event my request is not granted. I don’t know what I then shall do, but I would not disappoint him.”

Rosarch agreed but expressed her confidence in the generosity of the king. I hurried to the King’s House that morning, eager to ask yet fearing the answer.

As I asked the Chamberlain for permission to see the king, Cambion passed. “Come with me, Simon. I’m going into my father now. He’s always delighted to see you. How do your studies come along? If you're half the scholar you were in our youth, your learning must be prodigious, indeed.”

The king greeted Cambion with an embrace and a kiss and acknowledged my bow with “get up, dear boy. A pleasure to see you.” My words came in a stammer.

“Your majesty, I must ask a boon to which I have no right. I only ask for the sake of one I love.”

“Dear boy, whatever it is, if it is in my power, consider it done. Your service to me and mine, to the city and our people merit only our deepest affection and gratitude. What is this ‘boon’?”

“Gar, to whom I am joined…”

“Yes, the large fellow from the forest.”

“His life has always been in the open and I fear living in the city is making him ill. I think he would be better if he could visit your wood while I am here. He would make no disturbance, I am sure.”

“I am ashamed I did not think to offer this before now, Simon. I fear I have kept you away from him long hours. Go now and bring him. He shall have access to the wood. Cambion, will you inform our Gardener of my permission?”

I flew through the city, calling to Gar as I came near my apartment. We met on the stairs, Gar’s eyes full of question. He embraced me as I caught my breath, leading me to the apartment. Rosarch waited inside.

“Grandmother, I should know to trust your wisdom. The king has granted my request. Gar, the king has given permission for you to visit the King’s Wood.” Gar looked past me out the window to the tree tops just visible. “Yes, you can be in forest, yet with me.” He smiled and embraced me again. “Come now. I still have work in the King’s House and will call for you when I am done.”

Gar and I walked hand-in-hand to the King’s House. As we entered the great door, we were met by Cambion. He wore a somber expression. “Simon, your request cannot be honored.” My heart sank. I could feel Gar droop beside me. Cambion continued, “Still, you must come with me.” With heavy steps Gar and I followed Cambion. He led to a long unused part of the King’s House, down passages thick with dust to a long stairway leading up several stories.

“Where are we going, Cambion?”

“Hush and come along.” Cambion’s voice tried to conceal some excitement. At the top of the stair, two stout doors stood closed. Cambion swung wide the doors, announcing, “Welcome to you new home, Simon and Gar.”

I stood in shock. “I don’t understand.”

“My father and I talked after you left. It occurred to us that your place is in the king’s household, near at hand. The king has come to depend upon you. Why not have you here always? Come this way.”

Cambion led us past a spacious room, already being set up as a chamber for my work, out on to a vast terrace partially covered by a great awning. And beyond the terrace was the Wood. The many steps we had climbed had brought us to the level of the crown of the trees. Gar sniffed the air for a moment, then ran to the edge of the terrace, launching himself into the trees, disappearing from sight.

“Thank you, Cambion. This is an honor and gift beyond my worth.”

“Nonsense. You have earned this and more. I fear we have much work to do before this business with the Valley of the Deep is over.”

Gar reappeared from the trees, gathering Cambion into his arms in a spin. “I see you are much restored already, Gar,” Cambion said happily.

Some workmen appeared in the doorway, struggling to bring a huge bed onto the terrace. “Out here, sir?” they asked Cambion.

“Yes, out here. Simon, as envoy to the People of the Forest, has adopted many of their ways, among these a life out-of-doors. Arrange the household furnishings upon the terrace.”

The bed, once assembled, turned out to be a grand state bed, large enough even for Gar to stretch out comfortably, though I suspect he would prefer his tree-top nest. The bed, though ancient, seemed sufficiently stout to withstand what I hoped would be our renewed vigorous couplings.

Gar came up beside me, nuzzling my neck. On observing this, Cambion addressed the workmen, “We’d better get the bed set up quickly. The new tenants look like they need some private time to settle in.” Then to me, “I’ll let them know in the library that you’ll be detained this morning, Simon.” Cambion ushered the men out. As he himself exited, I heard him mumble, “I wonder what Avrein is doing this morning? This People of the Forest passion seems to be catching.”

Gar’s expression as he led me to the newly assembled bed was warning and promise of a wild time to come. I was not disappointed.

End of Chapter 6
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..