Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 534 Words
  • 905 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tommy - A Life - 11. Chapter 11 - A Visit from Piggy

Chapter 11 - A Visit from Piggy
Just a flirt, not a pursuit

 

One afternoon, Hopkins appeared with an envelope addressed in a familiar hand, Piggy’s.

Dearest Tommy,

It can’t be true – but I fear it is. I ran into our Charles last week and he told all. Actually he said little, but I wormed it out of him. I am so sorry for you, I really am, and sad for Billy, too.

Be warned: I’m descending on you for luncheon, today. We can cry over lost loves together – what my loves lack in depth they make up in sheer number.

At one, then?

Piggy

Hopkins had stood silently by as Tommy read the note. “It seems I have a friend stopping by for lunch,” Tommy informed him.

In reply to Hopkins’ question as to what to serve, Tommy responded, “It doesn’t matter so much as to what as to enough – Piggy is quite an eater. I leave it to you and Mrs. Hopkins. And thank you, I would have been too embarrassed to see people, but you make it all so pleasant. I’ve come to depend upon you both.”

***

“So many stairs.” Tommy could hear Piggy complaining loudly long before the pink head came into view. “Well, it’s very nice once you get here – but all those stairs.” Tommy showed Piggy into the sitting room. He sat on a chair on the opposite side of the room.

“I’m not going to bite,” Piggy exclaimed. “And I’m not going to chase you. That was all in fun, and baby, what’s happened to you is no fun. I’m thankful my own parents have left me alone – but I’ve never been so tied up with someone, like Billy was with you. I am truly sorry for what happened. And I want you to know that you can trust me as a friend. If you ever just want to go out, I’m there for you.”

Tommy nervously accepted Piggy’s kind words. Tommy explained that he feared going out with Piggy’s crowd, he was only in it because of being with Billy, and the memory of those times was painful.

Tommy offered lunch. Piggy entertained as best he could during the meal, but Tommy was distracted. They finished quickly and Piggy stood to go. “Tommy, I know I teased you when you were with Billy. And I still find you incredibly attractive. But I want you to know that even if most of the time I’m a flirty, lascivious queen, I also consider myself a friend. I’ll back off – for now – but if you need anything, do call, I’ll do what I can for you, if only to go out for some dinner. You take care of yourself, but call, remember call me.” Piggy walked toward the door, but before going out, retraced his steps and gave Tommy a hug, a chaste, brotherly hug.

Tears ran down Tommy’s face. Piggy’s visit had brought back the pain of losing Billy, the loneliness of his life. As he stood weeping, he heard Piggy go down the steps and out the front door. He sat in his chair, dropped his head on his arms and let the emotions pour from his heart.

End of Chapter 11
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..