Jump to content
    RolandQ
  • Author
  • 3,147 Words
  • 1,060 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tommy - A Life - 8. Chapter 8 - LIfe Interupted

Chapter 8 - Life Interupted
Things were going so well...

The short month until Christmas passed quickly. Tommy talked Billy out of ordering decorations for the apartment, instead taking him to a flea market to buy old ornaments and decorations. They bought a sad little tree and graced it with their new treasures. They promised ‘no gifts’.

The new year affirmed their patterns of life together. Tommy spent increasing time with his school work, completing a thesis and preparing for finals. He was approached by the Dean of Students with an offer to continue his education on a Fellowship. Several faculty had asked for him as a teaching assistant. Tommy was ecstatic at the offers.

Billy spent his days at his job ‘in the family business’, the nature of which was still mysterious. He often returned in a foul mood, but a few moments with Tommy and he again smiled.

With the coming of spring, Tommy was busier than ever finishing his senior year. Billy urged him on, proud of Tommy’s accomplishments. They loved each night, enjoyed time in the gym. They spent some time with friends, but their best times were when alone together.

June came. Tommy had accepted the fellowship and was set to attend graduate school in the fall and spend some time teaching. At the graduation exercises, Tommy could hear Billy hoot when Tommy was recognized for high honors. He could see his aunt and uncle beaming next to Billy in the crowd.

Billy took them all out to dinner at a grand restaurant and fussed shamelessly over Tommy’s aunt. After seeing the relatives onto the train, Billy and Tommy returned to the apartment. A little sleepy from too much wine and much happiness they tumbled into bed. The night was not spent in sleep, but in consuming each other in love. Each orgasm led to more loving until, finally at dawn their mutual attentions drifted into sleep.

***

Tommy awoke late in the morning. Billy had already gotten up and was getting dressed. Tommy tried to coax him back to bed, but Billy claimed he was a little sore and was surprised Tommy wasn’t sore, too. Billy came over and kissed Tommy and pulled him out of bed, telling again of his wonder at Tommy’s beauty.

Tommy took a long, hot shower. When he came out, he looked for Billy. He was not in the bedroom. He wrapped his damp towel around his waist and walked toward the living room. Billy was sitting in a chair with his back to Tommy. Tommy entered and bent over Billy giving him a large, wet kiss. Billy stiffened. Tommy stood upright and at that moment saw them, standing across the room in front of the window, light streaming in behind them. A tall man and woman and a shorter man near the desk.

“So, this is the one? I’m sorry to have ever laid eyes upon him.” The woman’s speech was sarcastic and cruel.

“Go get dressed, Tommy,” Billy said quietly.

Tommy fled the room. He dressed quickly and returned. All talking stopped on his entry. Billy looked at the floor.

“Billy, wait in the car.” When Billy raised his head to speak, the woman said through clenched teeth, “Wait in the car.” Billy crossed the room and left without looking at Tommy.

“Mr. Haskins, deal with this one. Robert, lets go.”

The man and woman left the room. Tommy stood gaping.

The small man had been speaking for some time before Tommy realized. “The Kensingtons have very specific instructions. You are to be out of the apartment today. All memberships and privileges that Billy has made available to you are ended. You are to make no attempt to contact Billy; he will make none to contact you. This is a check…”

“I don’t want their money. They can’t buy me off. I love Billy.”

“Nonetheless, this check is made out to you. Take it. Billy wouldn’t agree to their terms unless they gave it to you. He couldn’t refuse them.”

Tommy put the check into his pocket. He stared around the room numbly.

“I think that’s it. You understand you are to leave immediately. Your things will be sent to any address you name. You can notify my office, here is my card.” The man turned to go but stopped after a step. “You should know that, despite what Billy’s parents think and say, I know that what you two shared is the best thing that ever happened to Billy. He stood up to them today, and he knew he couldn’t win against them, but he made sure he cared for you. I’m sorry it’s turned out like this. It’s no consolation, but I’d like to thank you for what you’ve given Billy. He’s a better man for it.” He left.

Tommy collapsed onto a chair and wept. What had happened? Where had Billy gone? How could his life, at the peak of happiness only hours before, have fallen into this emptiness? Where would he go? How could he live? Where was Billy?

He felt the check in his pocket and took it out. He couldn’t focus on the figures through his tears. He knew he had to take some action, find some help. Money, anything to do with money - Charles. Tommy put on a jacket, put the check into the pocket. He checked his address book and found Charles’s card.

He walked the city streets blind to all he passed. He came to the address on the card, an impressive, formal bank building. On entering he asked to see Charles. The receptionist asked him to wait while she inquired if he could be seen. A few moments later, Charles came striding across the vast room, holding out his hand. Tommy managed to shake hands and ask if he could speak to Charles in private. Charles indicated that they should go to his office and led the way.

Once inside the dark paneled office, Charles directed Tommy to sit on the couch. Charles asked his secretary that they not be disturbed and closed the door. Charles sat next to Tommy on the couch. “What is so very wrong? I can see it in your face.”

“Billy has left me. His parents were in the apartment this morning. They made him leave. They’re throwing me out. I don’t know what to do. They gave me this.” Tommy handed the check to Charles who upon looking at it raised his eyebrows.

“Was there a man named Haskins with them?”

“Yes, a man, I guess that was his name.”

“Haskins is their family attorney. I know him from other business dealings. Let me give him a call.”

Charles asked his secretary to get Haskins on the phone. In a moment, the phone rang with the call. Charles spoke in hush tones though Tommy was deaf to everything but his grief.

“I see. Well that all fits and ties with what I’ve learned from Tommy. Thank you, Haskins. I’ll see to it that he’s looked after.” Charles hung up the phone and sat next to Tommy. “It seems that Billy’s parents disapprove of his lifestyle. They have enough power and influence to have their way. I can’t image what they must have threatened for Billy to give you up, but it must have been awful. I know he loves you. Try to hold on to that. Now this check is for a substantial amount of money.”

“I don’t care about the money. How can this be happening?”

“Nonetheless, this money is yours. Billy wanted you to have it. From what Haskins has told me he risked greatly in getting it for you. Accept it as a gift from Billy.”

“I don’t know what I’ll do. I don’t really care. I’ve lost the most valuable thing in my life and I don’t understand why.”

“You are right to grieve, but you have more pressing matters. I understand that you are without a place to live.” Charles had crossed to his desk and begun looking in a file of business cards. “I think I have a good contact. We should act quickly, take steps to get you settled. You can focus on your life’s direction without those worries.”

Charles dialed the phone himself. After a few moments the line connected. “Yes, Bunny? This is Charles Davenport. I have a client who is in need of advice on available real estate. You may remember him, Tommy. He made quite an entrance at Piggy’s party this fall. I thought you would remember him. This is a bit of a rush. Tommy’s needs new digs immediately. I’d say the price range is around $750,000. Yes a property with revenue-generating apartments would suit. Fifteen minutes? Perfect. He’ll be waiting outside my office. First National Bank, yes. Thank you, Bunny. No, I’ll fill you in another time.”

“Tommy, a friend, Bunny will pick you up shortly and show you some properties. I’d trust his judgment; he’s been in the business here in the city for a long time. The money Billy has given you gives you lots of options, but I think if we act conservatively, it can provide a good start in life for you. I need to make a few more calls on your behalf. Please forgive me if I don’t escort you to the door. Bunny should be waiting.” Charles stood and embraced Tommy. “I can’t say it will be all right. I’m very sorry this is happening to you, to Billy. Trust that we’re your friends and we’ll all do everything possible for you.”

Tommy plodded back across the lobby to the front door. As he stepped out of the door a large pink vintage Cadillac pulled up to the curb. The rear window rolled down and plump pink face stuck out. “Tommy, yoo-hoo. Here we are. Get in.” The door opened from inside. Tommy did as told and got into the back seat of the car. A moment later it pulled away from the curb and into traffic.

“Ah, Tommy. I’m so pleased to actually be here with you. I am dreadfully sorry to hear about the horrible experience you’re having, but between Charles, Cupcake – yes that’s dear Cupcake driving,” Bunny gestured at the delicate man of indeterminate age driving the car, ”and me, we’ll get you all fixed up.”

Tommy’s head swam with the rapid talk. The man next to him, Bunny, was not so young but dressed in an effort to appear so. He pulled out papers, quoting addresses and prices, numbers of rooms and advantages. He directed Cupcake on where to drive. At various locations, Bunny escorted Tommy in and around properties. All the while Bunny asked questions of Tommy – about what he liked, what he did for work, questions, questions.

As they began to cross a busy street after seeing a property, Bunny stopped in his tracks and exclaimed, “I’ve got it. The perfect place. It solves everything.” Traffic came to a screaming halt all around him. Tommy, coming to his senses, grabbed Bunny and led him back to the sidewalk. “Get in the car. Cupcake, head back near the University.”

“It’s not a great neighborhood, anymore, but once it was the best address in town. There are four full floors, the entire top floor is the ideal home for a young man on the rise. It’s been on the market for ages and I think the estate will be glad of any offer. And here we are.”

The car had pulled into a street of somewhat rundown houses. Dominating the block was what had been a large townhouse. Unlike its neighbors, this house had been carefully maintained, the front steps gleamed. Cupcake pulled into an empty spot in front of the house. Bunny and Tommy stepped from the car. Tommy leaned back to see the whole house. It still retained the elegance of a past day, the good lines of classic architecture still apparent.

“As I said, four floors. Four rental apartments on the second and third floors. Caretakers apartment on the bottom, and the top floor all for you.” Bunny led the way through the front door and up three flights of stairs. He produced keys and opened one of the doors on the top landing. They stepped into a dark, dusty space. Cupcake came brushing by them, snapping open the drapes, giving light onto a large sitting room with fireplace. The room appeared to have been sealed for a very long time, still containing its furnishings. Dust lay thickly over all. Bunny stepped across the room and opened a set of pocket doors. Beyond the doors was a formal dining room, table and chairs for ten occupied the center of the room. A fireplace stood opposite a tall sideboard. A deep bay window dominated the end wall.

Tommy had said nothing the entire trip. His emotions were raw. All he wanted to do was lie down and die. Yet on entering this space, a feeling of security and home began to overtake him.

Bunny opened another door and gestured toward the butler’s pantry within, indicating that a small galley kitchen, years out of date, was beyond. A door at the end went through a door that led back to the landing. Bunny guided them toward the back of the building. He opened a door on his left and led Tommy into a room lined with shelves, many still occupied by books. A large wooden library table was in the center of the room and two leather chairs faced a small arched fireplace. This was clearly a scholar’s library. Tommy looked around and felt a connection to the previous occupant.

Tommy startled when Bunny called from the other room. He followed the sound and found himself in a very large bedroom. While nothing like the opulence of Billy’s apartment, the room was furnished with good solid furniture, a large four- poster bed in the center. Yet another fireplace in the bedroom.

“In here, Tommy. This you must see.” Tommy followed Bunny’s voice and found him in a large bathroom. It had an ancient footed tub and what appeared to be a large closet with glass door. “Come see the ultimate bathroom feature of the Twenties. This shower stall must have 20 jets. And look, they still work. Again this bathroom needs lots of work, but just look at the quality of everything. Tommy, I know this place looks a wreck, but I think that all it needs is a good cleaning. Much of the furniture is very attractive and what you don’t want can be sold. Cupcake, what do you think it would take to fix this place up?”

The diminutive Cupcake ran figures in his head. “Thirty Thousand, Forty, tops,” said Cupcake, his first words of the day.

Tommy wandered to a chair and sat down holding his head in his hands. From behind his hands he muttered, “I don’t know what to do. I don’t care. I’ll take your advice, Bunny. I just don’t care.”

Bunny patted his shoulder. “Poor dear. I truly think this building is a good investment. I think this neighborhood will return. It’s only a few blocks to the university. And, Tommy, there’s another reason I’ve brought you here. The caretakers of this house, they’ve been here for many years, it has been their home. They cared for the previous owner and protected this property. They would like to stay. I think that would be good for you, too.”

“Yes, ok. This place is as good as any. Without Billy, it doesn’t matter.” Tears streamed down Tommy’s cheeks. Bunny produced a pink handkerchief and fussed at Tommy’s face.

“Come on, then. I’ll make all the arrangements. I can’t imagine it will take long. Here, you can take the keys. Where can we drop you?”

“I guess back at Billy’s apartment. I need to get a few things.”

Even Bunny was silent on the ride back. Tommy got out of the car and looked up at the building that was the home he had shared with Billy for most of a year. He entered the now familiar doorway. Not yet willing to go the apartment where his life had so dramatically changed only a few hours before, Tommy climbed the stairs toward the health club.

At the reception area, the attendant became flustered on seeing Tommy. She asked him to wait a moment while she called the manager. “Don’t bother. I just came to say goodbye to Thor. I won’t be staying.”

At that moment, Thor came into the reception area. His face was a map of concern and sadness. “Tommy, I’m so glad you came by. They told me just a little while ago that you wouldn’t be coming anymore.” Tommy could not hold back his tears. Thor took him by the arm and guided him into a private office and into a chair. Thor sat in the chair next to him, holding both his hands. “Tommy, there’s nothing I can say other than I’m sorry. I’ve enjoyed training you, I’d like to think we were friends, too.” Tommy nodded. “I hope you’ll keep working out. It’s done your body good, it’ll help when you’re down, too. I work out at a gym near the university, Mike’s. It’s pretty rundown, but it’s got all the equipment, and it’s cheap. I’m there most of the time I’m not working here. When you’re ready, just ask for me at the front desk.”

Tommy had collected himself. He stood and extended his hand to Thor. Thor took it in both of his hands, struggling for words. Tommy returned to the lobby.

As Tommy approached the elevators, one of the uniformed guards blocked his way. Tommy recognized the man from the many months he had lived there. “Tommy, I can’t let you go up,” the man said. “The Kensingtons own this building and gave orders that you were no longer welcome.” Tommy moved to step past him. “I’m sorry, if I let you in, I’ll be fired.”

Tommy turned and walked out the door, anger now mixed with his despair. How could this have happened? He had nowhere to turn. Hours passed as he wandered the streets of the city. Toward dawn, a light rain began to fall. He looked around and discovered that his feet had taken him near the university. He reached into his pocket and found the keys that Bunny had given him earlier. With nowhere else to go, he walked the few blocks to the house. One of the keys opened the front door. He climbed to the top floor and opened the door to the apartment. No sooner had he entered the sitting room, than his strength failed him. He collapsed onto the floor overwhelmed by emotion and rage and loneliness. His sobs echoed off the walls until, exhausted, he fell asleep.

End of Chapter 8
Copyright © 2014 RolandQ; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What bastards that family is.  My heart breaks for the boys.

Edited by pondman
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..