Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 1,173 Words
  • 1,081 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Me Hard - 8. 261 - Kubler Ross

tag - The Changling
.Emmet has to tell two parents that their baby isn't their baby. of course, being the child of two very different supernaturals himself, means that weird things like this, happen around him all the time

I left the room for six minutes. Six fucking minutes. The mum was sleeping soundly, lying on her side, hand trailing in the cot. Her wife had gone for snacks and supplies, and two minutes no doubt of mad grinning in the canteen telling every single person she’d met that she was a mom now. The baby was healthy, pink and blond, sleeping off the long labour. I went for a break, to check in with Derrin and ask after the kids.

I was gone six minutes. I didn’t know if it had been then that they’d taken him, but I was pretty sure. It might have happened away from here, in their home. But weird shit happens around me. It always has. I hadn’t been there when they’d checked out, and I hadn’t thought anything of it, until now. I didn’t think that Baby Boy Halley had ever left the hospital. At least not by the front doors.

All new parents worried. Mostly new parents worried about nothing at all, and we had lots of back-in-the-first-week visits from mothers and father too anxious to stay home. Generally we in the maternity department dealt with them, paediatrics had bigger problems to deal with. This pair of new parents were worried to, but they were worries about something real.

“He’s not been eating right.”

“He won’t settle, won’t sleep.”

“He doesn’t like us.”

“He seems scared.”

I knew that he wasn’t the same pink and blonde baby the taller woman had given birth to four days ago. There was no way. The baby was subtly different: paler, his eyes darker, his cheeks a little narrower. I took him from his parents and blocked out their worried banter and concentrated on the little bundle of what should have been warm human baby in my arms.

There’s this thing about being the son of an empathic shifter and a practicing Wiccan wolf… weird shit is sort of normal for me. My husband Derrin was patient and made his peace with it, and tried to bring up the little pack of kids we adopted as best he could with all the weird crap that hung around me. Both mothers were close to tears, especially the birth mom, and she was clutching her hands over her abdomen, her natural instincts telling her that this was not the baby she had given life too. What neither woman had said was the thing that was booming in my ears. Well not my ears, because empaths don’t hear feelings with their ears, not that it mattered.

They were revolted by their baby, and they didn’t know why.

The baby stilled quickly in my arms, no longer squirming and crying, simply sniffling as it sensed a power and pattern different from the wash of the humans it was used too. I fingered the little delicate ironwork cross resting on his chest.

“We put it there to protect him.”

Too late… I thought, and took it off, handing it back.

“Your son is allergic to iron.” It was the truth, just not the whole truth.

“Is that all?” The other mother asked, her eyebrow raised. I could tell that she was the more steadfast of the pair, and would be better able to deal with what was going to happen. She also knew that I was, in part, lying.

The baby fae stared up at me, and made a sound entirely unlike a human baby’s gurgle. It was a sound like running water played through an oboe. A fae elf then. Damn… Now that the iron cross was gone, he was instantly happier. A little pale and sickly from the transfer, but not unwell. Being around all the iron and steel in the human world was going to take its toll, but he would probably grow up just fine with slightly more than his fair share of colds, coughs and runny noses.

I looked back at the parents.

Could I really do this to them? The pair of women had probably never had a single run in with any sort of supernatural in their entire lives, and if they hadn’t given birth on floor six, if I hadn’t been on duty, if any number of another thousand factors had swung into play, they would have lived the rest of their lives without ever knowing that anything other than people walked in the sunlight with them. I took a deep breath.

“This isn’t your baby.”

“What?” The second mum snapped.

The birth mother had a far off look in her eyes.

“Terence…”

“Huh?”

“I was going to call him Terence.”

“You still can sweetie,” The woman rubbed her wife’s arm gently, “He’s gonna be fine isn’t he?”

“This isn’t the baby you gave birth to. He’s… well he was swapped.”

Confusion, anger, rage, annoyance at being lied to. I let the emotions wash over me as they came. As they did, I broke apart the energy and fed it into the pattern of my skills. Being an empath gave one rather specific skills, and having a mother so in tune with nature that she was a part of it had helped me to see the world in a way even other shifter’s found weird.

Denial, hot like fire as both women shouted at once as I explained what had happened. Their baby had been taken, another left in his place. An elf child. A fae. A child from a slightly different dimension lying parallel with ours.

Anger the temperature of the inside of the sun, so vehement that it burnt me as it struck. Screaming rage and wailing horror.

Bargaining as they begged me to switch him back. Offered me fistfuls of cash to change things as though I could step back in time and make it all not true.

Depression, crying and moaning, holding each other close and tight, crying over the loss of a baby they barely knew. Their birth sons had been hours old when he’d been taken. They wailed for his loss.

I knew the acceptance would come, but probably not for many years. I gave them my number, both of them, arranged for them to bring the baby, who a desperately hoped they would name something other than Terence (poor kid, no one deserved that), round at the weekend for a better chat.

Ellen and Paige left with the child who was not their son, tears tracks down their cheeks and with definite instructions that they needed to throw away all the iron in their house. I finished my shift that night with a phone call.

“Babe!” Derrin sounded happy, “You on your way home?”

“Yeah. How are the kids?”

“Sky drew you a picture, Bran got into another fight at school. Worrel misses you. He wants a puppy.”

“I’ll shift for him when I get back. Babe?”

“Emmet?” I wanted to crawl down the phone line and be smothered in my husband’s love.

“I think we might be getting some new additions to our extended pack.”

Copyright © 2013 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 09/07/2013 04:31 AM, nostic said:
Elves are mean, this I knew, but wolves adopting elves...this is too much.
Emmet's not a wolf.. he's a... well, weird.
Link to comment
On 09/07/2013 02:58 PM, Ron said:
Terrence is bad and Worrel isn't? Egads!
Worrel is adopted. and i dunno... and elf called Terence?
Link to comment

Um yeah, just for the record, I would really like it if you would expand this story. I find it really interesting and I love the way you write. Win/win in my book. Just my two cents. :P

Link to comment
On 09/08/2013 12:35 AM, Carrie76 said:
Um yeah, just for the record, I would really like it if you would expand this story. I find it really interesting and I love the way you write. Win/win in my book. Just my two cents. :P
i like your two cents. maybe if i ever get a moment in my head alone without the voices.... it would be fun
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..