Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 2,197 Words
  • 4,233 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

18 Weeks of Twoey - 39. Week Six Thursday, October 9, 2014: Biggy’s Room

Gary and I recorded our time this morning. Then he said, “I'll ask my father to drive our route and have the car's odometer figure its distance.”

Of course, why didn't I think of it! I feel like an idiot ...and I'm supposed to be smart!

There’s a XCountry race tomorrow. My first time on Varsity! I'm pumped!!

A funny thing happened at breakfast. I poured out my usual few bits of cereal and a sliced banana, a sliced apple and some blueberries, covering it all in honey. I was just about to pour the milk when Tommy reached over and added a big heap of cereal to the bowl. I scrunched up my face and looked at him. He said, “Don't give me no crap, just eat it!” So I didn't give him ‘no’ crap and I did eat it ...all.

My little brother being my big brother again ...hehe.

And then his mother came in.

She poured a cup of coffee and sat down. She began to talk toward me about my problem but I said to Tommy, “Tell your mother I've got it covered with my meditation. Tell her to drop it!” I got up, grabbed my hoodie and pack then went out to wait for my three pals to pick me up. You know, my life has sooo much less stress, without dealing with her anymore! I shoulda given her away a long time ago.

Anyway, I have a new mother now. One who actually hugs me.

I updated the boys on Twoey's condition and improvement. They asked if he knew about Danny and I told them I didn't think so. We decided it was going to be a real shock for him when he finds out. I said, “I’m glad it’s not gonna be me who has to break the news to him!”

Before math, I asked, “Do you want to meet Lanni and Deena for something to eat before we go to the show Saturday night?”

“Oh yes! That’s a wonderful idea.”

“I'll check with Lanni after lunch when I see her.”

On the way to back my desk, the little kid who sits behind me suddenly got out of his seat and I nearly smacked right into him! It almost seemed deliberate. He had to know I almost hit him, but the fucker ignored me and went up to talk to Elcher. I decided to ignore him when he returned. I looked at Terri instead. The kid must be mental or something.

At lunch, I decided to sit next to Sam, basically exchanging seats with Matty. That put Erik on the other side of Matty. I don’t need to sit next to Erik anymore. I was lots more relaxed between Matty and Sam. Even Matty was less tactile. Haha ...I was able to eat my entire lunch.

Later, before fifth period, I brought Lanni up-to-date and she agreed to meet us at Kory's before the movie. Deena is coming! Super. I think she's starting to hate me less now, so It'll be more fun. I wonder if I could ever move into her friend zone? She’d be a great friend to have. Probably even a good bodyguard ...hehe.

Oh! Lanni squeezed my hand.

And my heart stopped.

Yes. It actually stopped. I felt it thump when it rebooted.

It’s a good thing it rebooted, because in social Burch went around the room returning the corrected quizzes from yesterday. When he arrived at my desk, he leaned over, placing my 100% in front of me. But his other hand was on my shoulder blade near my neck and he squeezed it ...almost too hard to be unintentional or friendly or any other reason I could come up with. It made my skin crawly. Why can’t the fuckhead leave me alone? He’s drifting into that special region of my mind previously reserved for Enos Johnson alone.

When sixth period arrived, I checked all around the gym but couldn’t find any weight room. I asked a freshman who looked vaguely familiar. He said his name was Donny. I must have been mistaken, I don’t know any Donnys. Anyway, this Donny kid told me where it was. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was on the freshman floor this year. You know, I vaguely remember somebody telling me that before.

Imagine my larger surprise when I walked in to find Biggy there! I vaguely remember somebody telling me that too. Surprisingly, it was just the two of us in there. You should have seen the huge smile he gave me! I showed him my regimen instructions. He was actually pretty impressed.

“David, you've got a real coach there!”

I asked him how I should go about my prescribed workout and he got me all situated. He was really happy when he found out I was going to be there every day. “Great! Nobody's ever in here this period and I can't do much lifting without a spotter. Now we can spot for each other.” I also found out he's sort of a weight room guru, so ...good for me! I think I’d like Biggy as a friend. This daily closeness could surely make that happen. The only problem with this location is it’s nowhere near the gym locker room. It’s good I have gym next period, but it still means, until the end of XCountry season, there will be three hours in a row of physical activity before I can shower. I’ll be pretty ripe ...haha.

In gym, Mr. Cyrnn told us tomorrow was the end of our wrestling unit. Halleluiah!

I was on my hands and knees, with Matty draped tightly over me, his hand on my abs. I was about to practice escaping. “So David, do you think you'll be joining the wrestling team?”

“Jeez Matty, I don't see how it’s possible. I'll be spending every day after school helping Twoey with his schoolwork and I just can't fit it in ...no way.”

He was seriously unhappy. Then he said, “I hope we can stay friends and I can still eat lunch at your table.”

Well ...what a surprise, but I said, “Sure, why not? Just because I'm not on the team doesn't mean I'm not your friend!” His face lit right up. His hand on my stomach squeezed me a little tighter.

I guess he wasn't only a recruiter. That's okay, I really like Matty, he's fun ...a little too tactile sometimes, but fun. I only need to make sure my time with him is diluted a bit with the presence of another person.

It’s not always easy to take Matty straight.

As we were going through the various moves, something occurred to me. Today, for the first time I think, people other than those in my gang were in my mind as friends. Lanni, Deena, Matty and Biggy are people I want as good friends. Does it mean my gang is not sufficient for me anymore? I don’t feel myself pulling away from them, but somehow they don’t seem to be enough for me anymore. What does it mean? I already have a new mother and think of Basuba as a father figure. I’m slowly becoming a different person from who I was beginning the school year. I can feel it happening.

Today's XCountry practice was intense! I guess the Coach gets this way on the day before a race, or so Jimmy explained. Jimmy was also a great help for me today. He was taking a special interest. He whispered I was better than most of the guys on varsity, and maybe together we could beat the Glen guys for the first time ever. The Glen is who we race tomorrow. They’re unbelievably good.

Afterwards at home, meditation was all about the race. My subconscious was going to help me pace properly for the XCountry course tomorrow. I have a very good feeling about it.

Supper #1 was spaghetti and meatballs. There are only four components to the meal. Ragu sauce, spaghetti, meatballs and bread. Now Ragu sauce always tastes the same out of the jar and heated up, which is all Tommy’s mother does with it. It's not as good a restaurant sauce but it'll do. I don't think spaghetti is supposed to be mushy ...but it was. The meatballs come out of a little box in the freezer and they were a little ...tough, but not impossible to eat. And, of course, this would be the ideal meal to have Italian bread, right? Apparently ...wrong! It was the same old sliced chemical laden gummy-bread. I skipped the bread, but I did eat my whole bowl of food ...well, I ate the whole half-bowl of food I dished out for myself.

I smiled at Tommy as if to say, “See, I cleaned my plate!” After dinner it was homework until about 8:30 when I told my father I'd be back at 10 or 10:30.

Supper #2 was ...spaghetti and chicken Parm! Okay, I was ready for this. The sauce was unbelievable ...bright ...full of flavor ...soft and not real thick and goopy.

“Ginny, what brand of sauce is this? Maybe I can get Tommy's mother to buy it.”

She gave me the strangest look. “What do you mean?”

“I know it's not Ragu, because it's what we use and Ragu doesn't taste nearly as good as this ...not even close!”

She just laughed and said she makes it herself. I didn't even know people could DO that! Then she said she would teach me how when Twoey came home. We also had Italian bread! I pigged out on the bread. Maybe I'll gain some weight before the big weigh-in Monday. The spaghetti was really firm, which gave the meal a whole different feel. The chicken Parm melted in my mouth. I know I'm gonna be okay when the nurse weighs me Monday. Ha!

“I think Michael will be out of ICU on Saturday.”

I lit right up!! What great news.

“I won't be here tomorrow night because we have an away Cross Country race, down at the foot of the lake. It's my first time on varsity! Saturday I have a movie date with Kathy. If Twoey is in a regular room, could you pick me up Sunday when you go to the hospital?”

“I’ll be going up around 11.” Which means no church for David... YAY!

While we were discussing how Twoey was feeling better and all, I asked, “When do you think they'll tell him about the accident?”

“The doctor doesn't want him to know yet, while he's still in such critical condition.”

I looked at her and said, “Man, I'm glad I'm not gonna have to be the one who tells him!” She just nodded.

Back home Kathy talked for her usual hour. I told her about Saturday's plans, and she agreed. I also explained she might not get a call tomorrow night if I was too worn out with the race, because I'll collapse when I get home. She said she'd wait for a call, but if one didn't come, she'd understand.

“I'll just hold your little cross like I'm doing now.”

That's creepy.

Twoey

I was awake most of the day. nodding off for a little nap around one and again at five. The doctor came in today. He said my neck was healing well and I'd probably be in a regular room sometime on Saturday. Tomorrow morning I’m going to start getting soft, solid food. I guess they want everything to be working before they let me out of here.

He told me my throat will hurt a little as I eat, but everything should start working okay. They'll be watching me closely tomorrow. He also said they're going to replace that contraption holding my neck and head in position with a smaller one that will allow a little movement. Maybe even before I go to the regular room. At least those damn head pains are gone!!

Mom said that David stops over nearly every night to see how I'm doing and she feeds him. She told me he was fainting at school a while ago and had lost tons of weight because he wasn't eating. I wrote “why” on the board, but she said she didn't know.

I think Mom's lying to me for the first time!

I do feel a lot better than when I first woke up in here. I wonder when they're going to tell me about this accident I had. I cannot remember ANYTHING about that day. What I do have are feelings ...impressions.

I have a feeling Danny is dead. I don’t know why, but I know.

I have a feeling David is like a guardian angel, watching over me. I don’t know why, but I know.

I used to remember stuff when I awoke after pressing the button. Now I’m losing those memories. I think they used to be vivid memories, but now they’re only feelings ...impressions.

Am I losing my mind?

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great one SD!
If Burch keeps up the touching, he can be reported for sexual harrassment or something--I hope David can figure that out. Thank goodness he has Ginny and now Biggy to add to his support group. Kathy is really a weight dragging David down--use Saturday to drop her!!
Tommy is so great...keep it up, your big brother needs you.
I have an idea why Ginny didn't tell Twoey why David wasn't eating, but I don't like the precedent that creates and how it affects his relationship with her--she's never lied before. It doesn't sound like the move someone trained in her field would make.
More please, my friend!
Out of likes, will come back later.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Some impressions and questions - Creepy, creepy Mr. Burch - will it be David or the teacher who makes the wrong move?; Ginny being evasive - since when does she practice not telling the truth?; David moving further away from his stepmother - what does his father see in her? ; Matty and Biggy as friends - how close can Matty get before David freaks? This was an excellent chapter, and continues to leave me with plenty of questions. Waiting for Twoey to move to a new unit and start learning the truth...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/20/2015 10:21 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Another great one SD!

If Burch keeps up the touching, he can be reported for sexual harrassment or something--I hope David can figure that out. Thank goodness he has Ginny and now Biggy to add to his support group. Kathy is really a weight dragging David down--use Saturday to drop her!!

Tommy is so great...keep it up, your big brother needs you.

I have an idea why Ginny didn't tell Twoey why David wasn't eating, but I don't like the precedent that creates and how it affects his relationship with her--she's never lied before. It doesn't sound like the move someone trained in her field would make.

More please, my friend!

Out of likes, will come back later.

Thanks for the comments CG!

Yeah, Burch is starting to give me the creeps now too.

 

Kathy ...hmmmm. Maybe David has already begun. Parker mentioned his inviting Lanni on Kathy's date as a 'slick move' ...haha.

 

I think Ginny's only concern is for her son's recovery. Everything she does is consistent with that. Even the 'lie' of omission. But you're right, it could ultimately cause damage.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/21/2015 12:16 AM, Parker Owens said:

Some impressions and questions - Creepy, creepy Mr. Burch - will it be David or the teacher who makes the wrong move?; Ginny being evasive - since when does she practice not telling the truth?; David moving further away from his stepmother - what does his father see in her? ; Matty and Biggy as friends - how close can Matty get before David freaks? This was an excellent chapter, and continues to leave me with plenty of questions. Waiting for Twoey to move to a new unit and start learning the truth...

Thanks for the barrage of questions Parker ...haha!

 

David and Burch ...approaching explosion, for sure!

 

Another thing approaching is the Sunday meeting, pregnant with emotion and revelation! Unless Twoey forgets everything by then. Whatever happens, we ALL know David is nowhere near ready for this encounter. He should stay away ...but won't.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Didn't we all have a teacher in the form of Burch. He annoys me. Ugh! Mine was Madam Tobias and I dislike her now as fiercely as I did then... Anyway.
Tommy, best brother ever. Biggy and David as friends, pretty cool. It's nice to see David realise that his world does indeed expand outside his safe circle. Hopefully being around the varsity kids may enlighten him a bit too.
I wish there was a way to protect Twoey from what's coming. I don't think he'd be able to handle all the information at once anyway. Dealing with Danny's death is going to be bad enough. Too bad he picked up on Ginny's little lie. I think she's protecting both him and David, but he might bring it up again..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/21/2015 04:49 PM, Defiance19 said:

Didn't we all have a teacher in the form of Burch. He annoys me. Ugh! Mine was Madam Tobias and I dislike her now as fiercely as I did then... Anyway.

Tommy, best brother ever. Biggy and David as friends, pretty cool. It's nice to see David realise that his world does indeed expand outside his safe circle. Hopefully being around the varsity kids may enlighten him a bit too.

I wish there was a way to protect Twoey from what's coming. I don't think he'd be able to handle all the information at once anyway. Dealing with Danny's death is going to be bad enough. Too bad he picked up on Ginny's little lie. I think she's protecting both him and David, but he might bring it up again..

Thanks for the review Defiance!

 

"Didn't we all have a teacher in the form of Burch." What a great little line! And true!! Mine was actually the mayor of a small town about 30 miles outside the district. And he was an awful physics teacher.

 

Twoey has the major shock of Danny's death and the possible misreading of David's "love." A lethal 1-2 punch.

And we know it's on the way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

One part of Parker's review confused me; he said Tommy's mother was David's stepmother, and what did David's dad see in her...Tommy's mother is his and Liz's mother too, right? I thought that's why the whole "Tommy's mother" thing was so funny -- because she's HIS mother also, he just doesn't want to acknowledge her as his mother.

 

Anyway...Ginny is great! Homemade sauce and David didn't even know people could DO that! lol And yuck -- Ragu! It's way too sweet. Prego's the way to go! lol But yeah, how can you fuck up spaghetti and meatballs? And no frozen meatballs - ya gotta make them yourself -- lazy Tommy's mom!

 

I'm glad David is branching out and making friends with other people. Mattie would be a good friend to have even though he can't keep his hands off of David! lol

 

I'm thrilled Twoey's feeling better, and his headaches are all gone now. :) He's going to be beside himself when he figures out his 'impression' of Danny is correct. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2015 05:11 PM, Lisa said:

One part of Parker's review confused me; he said Tommy's mother was David's stepmother, and what did David's dad see in her...Tommy's mother is his and Liz's mother too, right? I thought that's why the whole "Tommy's mother" thing was so funny -- because she's HIS mother also, he just doesn't want to acknowledge her as his mother.

 

Anyway...Ginny is great! Homemade sauce and David didn't even know people could DO that! lol And yuck -- Ragu! It's way too sweet. Prego's the way to go! lol But yeah, how can you fuck up spaghetti and meatballs? And no frozen meatballs - ya gotta make them yourself -- lazy Tommy's mom!

 

I'm glad David is branching out and making friends with other people. Mattie would be a good friend to have even though he can't keep his hands off of David! lol

 

I'm thrilled Twoey's feeling better, and his headaches are all gone now. :) He's going to be beside himself when he figures out his 'impression' of Danny is correct. :(

Hey Lisa! Thanks for the review.

You're right about Tommy's mother. Parker was probably being snarky or he forgot. I think David gave her away in chapter 4 or something.

 

Yes David suddenly thinking about new friends is interesting. Maybe there's something about the old friends he can't face, or he's simply expanding his horizons. I'm always a little suspicious of him though, because his subconscious is usually trying to protect him. Maybe the old friends are too dangerous. Or maybe it's innocent. Matty sounds like fun to have as a friend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

When David first met Twoey and experienced the instant attraction, he reacted so strongly to the possibility that he might be gay; he was in total denial. Then after Chris told him that both Danny and Twoey, members of David's close group of friends, were gay, I would have thought David would be suspicious of every boy who showed the slightest interest in him. Like Matty, particularly, but he just isn't picking up on that vibe at all. I know when I found out that one of my little gang of friends was gay, I started analyzing every word, every move that any of 'em made, looking for signs of gayness! But David is so naive and preoccupied with other things; he really does set himself up to be blindsided by events.
And how can David's father not intervene or try to mediate when he sees that his wife and his son are locked in some kind of battle of personalities. Or Tommy and Liz, for that matter. I suppose some families are like that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/09/2015 09:43 AM, jess30519 said:

When David first met Twoey and experienced the instant attraction, he reacted so strongly to the possibility that he might be gay; he was in total denial. Then after Chris told him that both Danny and Twoey, members of David's close group of friends, were gay, I would have thought David would be suspicious of every boy who showed the slightest interest in him. Like Matty, particularly, but he just isn't picking up on that vibe at all. I know when I found out that one of my little gang of friends was gay, I started analyzing every word, every move that any of 'em made, looking for signs of gayness! But David is so naive and preoccupied with other things; he really does set himself up to be blindsided by events.

And how can David's father not intervene or try to mediate when he sees that his wife and his son are locked in some kind of battle of personalities. Or Tommy and Liz, for that matter. I suppose some families are like that.

Thanks for reviewing jess!

 

I think you've picked up on something about David. I always viewed him as compartmentalizing things in his life. I think it was Def in her review of idk which chapter, who saw a type of OCD, which is certainly possible. He misses Matty, as uber obvious as he is, I think because he belongs in the wrestler and PhysEd compartment. Once Matty moves into the friend compartment, assuming he does, THEN things could get a bit more interesting. But maybe by then David will have himself figured out ...hehe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..