Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ice Fairy; The Friends - 17. Chapter 17

Sam’s POV

“Does this shirt look okay on me?” Sam asked as he turned to face Brett. He held out his arms and turned from side to side as if he were an oscillating fan.

Brett laughed out loud and rolled his eyes. “Baby, chill. It’s lunch with our buds and some weird other folks we’ve never met. Remember, we’re there for Ryan and Caleb, not to impress these people.”

“I know, I know.” Sam sighed and he faced the mirror again. He picked at the fabric, pulling off a couple of stray black hairs that’d woven themselves into the fabric. He felt movement behind him and suddenly there was a large pair of arms wrapped around his waist. Brett’s arms. He felt better already.

“Relax.” Brett ordered in his sweet, soft tone that he had when they were alone. “You look awesome in that color. Blue has always been my fav on you anyway.”

Now that was one way to steer his mental pater in another direction for sure. He thought of the blue shirt that he wore the first time he and Brett slept together over at the Zephyr’s house. It’d been his outfit everytime he came to visit; and he fell in love with the hue of blue.

Sam leaned back into his husband’s grasp and let his nerves be soothed by just being in that familiar stronghold. He closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths before he turned in Brett’s arms and looked into those scintillating blue eyes.

“I’ll be calmer, I swear.” He held up his hand as if he swore on the bible.

Brett cracked a smile. “Ease up, hon. They’re the ones under fire, not us. From what Caleb said this might be a turning point for them. It’ll be awkward as all fuck, but if they wanna talk, that’s a step in the right direction for sure, isn’t it?”

Very true, all of it. Sam nodded and knew they had to get going, but he didn’t want to leave Brett’s embrace. He felt a surge of playfulness rise up in his veins and he couldn’t quell the grin that grew on his face.

“If it goes well, when we get back I wanna keep wearing blue, if you get my drift.” He glanced up at Brett through his long, dark lashes, giving him the best come hither look he could muster. He’d learned to flirt with his husband and the rewards were wonderful for giving Brett just the right stare.

“Oh hell yeah, baby.” Brett craned his neck down and gave him a long, sweet kiss and topped it off with a long embrace.

Sam could stand for several minutes with his nose on Brett’s skin; his cologne was intoxicating, as well as just holding that taut body in his arms and having it pressed against him. Damn.

“We’d best go.” He suggested as he took Brett’s hand and dragged them towards the door. Otherwise they wouldn’t be leaving for a little bit and they dare not be late.

“Yeah. Don’t wanna add more stress to our buddies brains, huh?” Brett admitted with a deep sigh.

 

*

Caleb’s POV

“Table of ten for Jacobson.” The hostess called out as the large crowd stood up from the sofas where they’d been patiently and silently waiting for their table to be ready. Guess making a reservation hadn’t helped much when the Sunday brunch crowd took over the place.

“Finally”. Caleb grumbled into Ryan’s ear. “This is awkward enough already and to add this wait on top of it?”

Ryan stroked his hubby’s hand. “Shhh. Easy, baby. It’ll all be good now. We’ll get some strong coffee and maybe slip in a shot of something when nobody’s looking.”

Now that would surely add some excitement. Caleb couldn’t help but crack a smile and lean on his shorter man. All he wanted to do was leave and go home, but that wouldn’t help anything. Besides, at least their friends and his parents were there too to soothe the inevitable temper flare-ups and to add conversation.

When they sat down, all of the friends crowded together on one side. Ryan was pressed in tightly on one side and Sam was on the other. Despite their history, the two were still very close and weren’t ashamed of it. Their spouses understood and Brett was there for Ryan too. They were all supportive of one another when it came to the insane world of families and intolerance.

Caleb had made several quick sweeping views of his siblings and how they were dressed, their posture, their whispering, or just generally ignoring them. Nothing had been said; all the chatting had been amongst themselves or with their parents.

What a wonderful way to begin this forced march…errr lunch.

After they ordered and got their beverages; Caleb started to settle in and calm somewhat. He and Mary had been glancing back and forth at each other. He’d seen her eyes skate over Ryan, then back at him, then back at Ryan, then at their parents…her orbs must’ve been getting quite the workout!

But it wasn’t just Mary. Joe, Peter, and even Rachel were all exchanging looks that Caleb wished he could pay an interpreter to tell him exactly what it all meant.

Caleb felt a nudge from Ryan’s arm and he turned to see what his hubby wanted.

“Hey, your sibs are checkin’ us out.” He whispered, but in his usual tone of voice. That was the irish whisper for ya.

“I know. I wish I knew what it all meant.”

Sam craned his neck to listen in to the couple. “I hope the food comes soon. I’m starved.”

A smile came to Caleb’s lips. He was so glad his buddies were along.

“I’m sure it won’t be too long.” He reassured his friend.

Wow, someone make a move or something. Anything. The tension built up in Caleb’s neck like a top that had been wound too tight. Or a spring. He’d pop out of his chair in a second if something didn’t happen.

Mary finally granted his wish. She cleared her throat and after a nod from their parents, she spoke.

“Caleb?”

Oh shit. Here it comes. He took Ryan’s hand and braced himself for whatever was next.

“Yes?” he replied, his voice even squeaked a little; which it hadn’t done in a decade.

She shifted in her seat, but actually smiled at him. A warm, genuine one! What the hell? Mary didn’t know how to smile anymore, she’d scared off the knowledge years ago, right? Maybe not.

“Relax, little bro.”

Ha! Relax? How? Not when they’d entered the twilight zone where Mary remembered how to smile again.

“Sorry. I…” he cut himself off. He wanted to hear what Mary had to say.

“Chill, bro.” Joe tossed in.

There was that famous tone again. Caleb felt some of the spring unwind, but only a tiny bit.

“As I was saying…” Mary continued. “Caleb, you’re our brother and we know we’ve done some pretty nasty stuff to you.”

No kidding. Forgetting he existed once he came out and going only through their folks? Yeah, that definitely qualified. His interest was piqued now as they at least admitted the truth.

“Yes.” Was all Caleb could say. His eyes glanced up at his sister and he could tell she winced at the pain that they’d all caused.

“Well… we’ve all had a chat about things.” she indicated the whole family. “We’re sorry, Caleb. We really are.”

Caleb’s head snapped up a little and he had to check his hearing. Was that an actual apology? Or was it guilt-driven only by their folks?

“You are?” was all he could sputter out.

Suzy cut in at this point. “Honey, Mary came and spoke to us last week while you two were away. We had a family meeting with everyone and all your brothers and sisters know they did wrong.”

Mary nodded again. “Yes we did, mom. I’m glad you had us come to the wedding.” She looked at Ryan. “You seem to have done really well for yourself, little bro.”

Caleb held Ryan’s hand even tighter. “I think so. So does that mean no more ignoring me or us and you get to know my husband?”

Was it too much to hope for that this was a miracle in progress? Wow. Caleb wasn’t too much for miracles, but he’d be a firm believer today.

The food arrived then, breaking the scene as the two waiters leaned over them, placing the huge plates of food that they’d ordered.

When the melee was finished and they’d all started on their food, it grew calm and quiet. Caleb focused on his stomach and fed it slowly and carefully. He’d been upset but it was waning.

Ryan leaned over to him and with his eyes asked how he was.

Caleb gave him a small grin and raised his eyebrows. He wanted all of this to be true, and to be real. Only time would be the true testament.

Once Mary stopped shoveling her food in, she locked eyes with Caleb again.

“Hey, this is us being real, bro. We screwed up and going to the wedding and seeing you so happy….that’s what clinched it for me. I’ve been such a bitch to you.” She shook her head and looked genuinely remorseful.

“Easy now…” Caleb reached across the table and took his sister’s hand. “Hey, Mary? It’s alright now.” His heart pounded faster and he saw the true soul of his sibling’s eyes. She was being genuine. Holy crap, might this nightmare end?

After sniffing a few times and dabbing her dark makeup with a napkin, she kissed Caleb’s hand.

“I love you. I always have, bro. I’m so sorry it took so long for me to really show it as a sister should. I should’ve been there to support you and just accept you for who you are.”

Wow, now this had to be a dream, right? Caleb felt tears well in his own eyes, but he blinked them back.

“Shhh, it’s okay now. I’m thrilled all of you came, really.” A nudge to his side reminded him he wasn’t being entirely truthful.

“Caleb…” Ryan shot him a look.

Sheesh. Alright, alright. Uncle. Whatever.

“Okay, that’s not totally true. I was suspicious as all hell and wondered why you were there at all after what you’d done. I thought…” he saw his parents leaning in. “I thought that mom and dad made you guys come.”

“They did.” Peter chimed in. “But we didn’t have to stay, bro. We were there until you guys left.”

Very true and very insightful. Peter’s age belied his wisdom. He and his younger brother did have something in common after all.

“You did stay, that’s right.” Caleb remembered. “I saw you from the dance floor.”

Rachel giggled. “You were dancing all night.” The cute little girl observed. “With your hubby.”

Caleb blushed and felt Ryan’s hand on his arm, hugging it.

“It was our wedding party.” Ryan replied. “I am glad all of you came. If just to meet you. I know things had been so tense… this warms my heart that things could turn around.”

Mary had calmed and smiled at Ryan. “You’re family now, Ryan. Alone, we were just horrid to Caleb and we’re sorry. But now that you’re married; this involves you too and we couldn’t justify being that awful anymore. Hell, I’m sorry it happened at all.” She tossed her hands up in the air and shook her head.

“It’s over now.” Caleb soothed her. “I still have hurt over those years, yes, but we’ll get through them. If you’re all willing.” He scanned his siblings’ faces and was supremely happy to see that they all agreed.

“You didn’t deserve it, bro.” Joe added. “We were the jerks.”

“Not me. I’m the sweet one.” Rachel touted, which got a laugh from everyone.

Tom summed it all up for them. “The point is, son, Ryan, that this is a fresh start for us as a family, if you’re willing to take it.”

His dad could always pinpoint things perfectly. With a glance at his friends’ faces, who were all smiles and finally back at Ryan, who was his new family, he raised his glass of orange juice.

“To a new beginning for the Jacobsons.” He smiled even wider as he saw all of them raise their cups and glasses and had them meet in the center of the table, clinking and spilling a little, but all it did was bring laughter and ease the tension even more.

The hell was over!

Copyright © 2014 stephanie l danielson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 all settled now only 2 to go . Now I'm waiting to see what Colby can get up to I have always been suspicious of him and never trusted him and will Amber make a comeback

Link to comment
On 09/01/2014 07:32 AM, paul.b said:
4 all settled now only 2 to go . Now I'm waiting to see what Colby can get up to I have always been suspicious of him and never trusted him and will Amber make a comeback
5 settled :)

Colby? omg...he's totally fine.

noooo! no more Amber

Link to comment

Loved the story, and happy for a happy ending with one couple. Can't wait to see what you have in store for Jake and Colby next. Please keep writing I love your stories.

Link to comment
On 01/03/2015 04:09 AM, redhot93 said:
Loved the story, and happy for a happy ending with one couple. Can't wait to see what you have in store for Jake and Colby next. Please keep writing I love your stories.
Thank you very much!! This made my day :) Not sure where I am taking J/C next...but am working on it. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..